Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #51
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

As a father of two little girls I am not looking forward to this sort of shit. Neighbourhood kids is one thing (because you can witness it personally and deal with it) but when they are at school and you have to trust that they, the staff at school, are paying attention to what's going on...man, that is going to be tough.

Please keep us in the loop as I'd be curious to know how this gets resolved and what the parents of your daughter's friend think as well as the offender's parents think.

johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #52
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I showed your original post to my wife, a school psychologist.

Her comments were without knowing the kid, that its obvious that he doesn't understand social boundaries. The cause for it could be one of many things though, and harder for anyone to pinpoint without actually spending time with the kid. Her list were similar to what I saw others posted in this thread though, but her first comments were that it could be:

-Aspergers or some mild form of autism
- Sign of possibly being molested himself
- sign of some form of cognitive delay

Either way, her suggestion is for you to bring your concern to the kid's parents.

This is where my thoughts are.

Aspergers was my 1st reaction. Sounds like some of the kids at my school.

Call his parents.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #53
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Unless he has a shrine of dead animals in the woods...then I'm going with psychopath.

I always thought that animal mutilation and killing was an early warning sign of serial killers. Yea, this is something I would not put off at all and the school he goes to should be contacted as well as his parents and probably the police.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 07-15-2011 at 10:45 AM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #54
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Maybe it's the "former youth worker" in me coming out, but I do see dual responsibilities here.

1. FIRST AND FOREMOST, AND HIGHEST PRIORITY: Protect your kids (and other kids) from a likely dangerous kid.

2. SECONDARY PRIORITY, BUT IMPORTANT: Make sure this young man is getting help.

As has been mentioned several times, this sort of stuff rarely happens in a vacuum. Either he has a disorder (treated or untreated) or there are significant problems in his life, likely at home. If it's the former, the parents will appreciate you coming to them and either explain the situation or get him help. If it's the latter, you'll likely sense resentment in you getting involved. If there's any hint of that, I'd call the police *and* CPS.

Of course, there's always the possibility that his dad is a truly evil and diabolical child molester who will smile, nod, and thank you for coming, promise to get him help, then continue molesting him. So maybe the police/CPS route might be good regardless of the reaction. *shurg*

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 07-15-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
So maybe the police/CPS route might be good regardless of the reaction.

This really highlights something that frustrates me in situations like these ... we typically really don't know what the "right" answer is.

There are several options, probably best exercised in combination with each other, but as a parent or even just a concerned bystander situations like this don't seem to frequently offer a slamdunk obvious choice.

I'm uncomfortable with so much gray in a situation where the stakes have the potential to be so high, not sure what can be done about that - I mean, this discussion has folks who are pretty clearly above the curve in education, general intelligence, etc ... and we can't be absolutely definitive in what path we'd take personally much less be definitive from long distance.

Again, dunno what can be done to change that, but it frustrates me nevertheless.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #56
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Well, I think in a sense, Eaglefan has already done part of the right first steps. Making sure his kids are protected, by watching out for this kid and providing interference for that kid interacting with his kids. As well as warning the parents of the kids who are friends with his. Alerting them to be cautious will go an extra step in helping his kids be safe when over at their place.

So for first steps of protection, I think those were good steps. However the kid obviously does need help, and the comments to go to his parents first make the most sense as a starting step. If the result of that step didn't happen as wished, good next steps would be to talk to that kid's school psychologist, or his kid's school psychologist. If his kids went to the same school as that kid, the school psychologist would be able to set up some form of safe zone if there is a concern about that kid's interaction with his kids. Since he said they went to different schools, there might not be as much that can be done with that, but the school Psychologist usually will want to look further into a distressing report like that even if they can't share any further information with Eaglefan.

Finally for a third step, there is the public safety aspect of things. If Eaglefan can not provide proper protection for his kids, the police are definitely an option, and when it comes to kids, they likely would bring in CPS as well. I don't think this step is as promising in getting that kid help though as the other two steps before it, but if Eaglefan's kids are in danger beyond the protection he can provide, then he has to obviously think of their safety first. Hopefully though the kid can get help before it gets to a police stage of things.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #57
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

To me it seems like theres a pretty clear cut checklist here.

1. Talk to the parents of the kid first and foremost ASAP. Get a sense of how they react and of their awareness of the situation. Without being a dick, explain your concern and see how that is received.

2: If the kids parents are receptive of your concern and seem to want to take care of this issue, give it a little time and see if the behavior continues before going to step 3.

3: If the parents are not receptive of your concern, or if the behavior continues, speak with other parents in the neighborhood to get their perspective on the situation and gather any more evidence they might be able to provide regarding their own experiences with the boy. This will also make them aware of the situation if they were not already so that they can take preventive steps regarding their own children.

4: Using all the information you have from the conversation with the boys parents as well as the other neighborhood parents, contact CPS and see what they recommend to do. Maybe they already have some information about that family due to prior issues, maybe not. Either way, I am sure they can help with deciding your next course of action.

5: If the situation escalates before things can be addressed through any of the above, contact the police and go from there.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #58
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
This is where my thoughts are.

Aspergers was my 1st reaction. Sounds like some of the kids at my school.

Call his parents.

Again it's limited info, but from Ef's description of their interactions after his initial post, I am not sure about this. The kid seemed to read Ef's behavior in a way an aspregers kid would probably have difficulty doing (is ef just opening his door and the kid starting to hurry and yell about going home already)
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #59
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Been so busy, I am just catching up on this thread. At first when I read the thread, I was thinking autism or MR. Now, that I have read further, I am thinking this kid has a more sinister problem. Either way, my first step would be to approach the parents and discuss it with them. Contacting school officials isn't a bad idea either, but due to privacy issues they won't be able to reveal anything to you. The only purpose there would be to warn others about this kid's behavior.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #60
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I'm in agreement with Ben that Child Protective Services/Police likely will need to be involved as well.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #61
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Zoinks. If EF says that you know it's serious.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #62
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quiet day today. No sign of the kid today. Will work on talking to the parents tomorrow.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #63
Flasch186
Coordinator

tooooooo quiet.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:33 PM   #64
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Danny might be an expert in this field, but I have to disagree.

Belt. Ass. Now.

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #65
Suicane75
Coordinator

I mean........You do realize you can't go around beating other peoples children right?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #66
PilotMan
Head Coach

There are certainly a lot of red flags here. The one that sticks out for me is that if he considers this behavior normal, what kind of behavior goes on in his house that he is exposed to? I wouldn't be expecting a whole lot with his parents. There are some abuse flags here, meaning I think he has been abused/could be abusive. If the parents are hiding anything they are going to be concerned and all on your side and the kid is going to pay the price after you leave. That's not really your problem, but you certainly have a lot to go on if you decided to go the CPS route.

I am with Ben on this one, you have to protect your own, and those around you. You have to have those eye's in the back of your head at all times. This could certainly has something going on. His failure to understand boundaries and testing you, right in front of you are big warning signs that something is wrong with his decision making tree in his head. Watch out!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #67
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Quiet day today. No sign of the kid today. Will work on talking to the parents tomorrow.

3 days later ...

Hope EF didn't get chopped up in the woods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #68
Bako
H.S. Freshman Team

I'd rather be wrong being a dick to this kid, than being wrong and something happening to my daughter.

Trust no one when it comes to your kids. Obvious exceptions would be Grandparent and family.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #69
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bako View Post
I'd rather be wrong being a dick to this kid, than being wrong and something happening to my daughter.

Trust no one when it comes to your kids. Obvious exceptions would be Grandparent and family.

Sorry, even that depends on the grandparent.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #70
Bako
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Sorry, even that depends on the grandparent.

Very true.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #71
mattlanta
Mascot

Is EF okay? I hope he wasn't chopped up in the woods as Rizon had speculated...
mattlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #72
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post
Is EF okay? I hope he wasn't chopped up in the woods as Rizon had speculated...

...or in jail.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #73
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

He beat me at Frozen Synapse today, so he's around.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #74
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
He beat me at Frozen Synapse today, so he's around.

Or the kid is really good at the game...
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #75
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #76
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

/thread

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #77
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

It's actually been quiet since I had a word with him and his family. He hasn;t been spotted by any of the girls that live in the area.

I checked out the spot in the woods and it looks like he was climbing a tree. There are some windows that he could probably see into from there. Luckily none would be my daughter's.

I am hoping that it stays quiet. His mother seemed to have a level head about it; his father not so much.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote