Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #51
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
You're not adding an album to iTunes. Those options are presumably to add your iTunes and WMP libraries into Spotify. Not the other way around.

When you right-click to add an album in Spotify, it ought to this option:

Yes, that's exactly what I get -- however, when you click "add to" three options come up -- those three options are what I was referring to. Why does it matter which library you put it in?

Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #52
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I get -- however, when you click "add to" three options come up -- those three options are what I was referring to. Why does it matter which library you put it in?

The add to you get are playlists, because you don't have any other playlists. It's not asking you to import to WMP or iTunes, it's asking you to import those to the WMP or iTunes playlists within Spotify. That's the source of your confusion.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #53
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dola

Because here's what you'd see if you had playlists of your own created:

I deleted the iTunes and WMP playlists when I first set this up ages ago. So that's why they're not options under mine. Local files is anything you import from your computer. The iTunes and WMP playlists are just to make easier for you to import music you already own into Spotify presumably so you never have to load up iTunes and have your music in two different places.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-07-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #54
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Ah, that's too bad. This would be really cool, if it had the functionality of itunes.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #55
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Also, is there a way to play radio stations (i.e. radio stations you create in spotify) on the mobile app?

I'm giving this another try -- I might be able to come up with a workaround. Does anyone know about the radio station on the mobile app? Also, is there a way to get a list of the catalog, so I can browse, instead of searching?
Old 06-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm giving this another try -- I might be able to come up with a workaround. Does anyone know about the radio station on the mobile app? Also, is there a way to get a list of the catalog, so I can browse, instead of searching?

Never seen a catalog for browsing, only the searching.

re: radio on mobile ... as of their help forum answer in March, it's not something available on the mobile app
"Radio" not available in mobile mode? - The Spotify Community
Old 06-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #57
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Good to know, thanks Jon!
Old 06-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #58
Passacaglia
Coordinator

So how did you guys go about adding music to your spotify collection? It seems like it would be nice to see a long list of all the artists on it, then add them as I see them. Instead I have to search for everything I want to add?
Old 06-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #59
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
So how did you guys go about adding music to your spotify collection? It seems like it would be nice to see a long list of all the artists on it, then add them as I see them. Instead I have to search for everything I want to add?

There are apps that make looking for music easier. You can import your iTunes library into Spotify and then it's a matter of searching for what you want.

I've always used streaming services since they've been available, so it's a matter of rebuilding slowly but surely since I don't own a ton of digital music anymore, but...usually you search for what you're in the mood for and it accumulates piece by piece.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-07-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #60
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
I'm a little concerned with how much trouble you seem to be having with this.

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #61
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:

You can look through playlists and stations and things like that. I generally search for a while, add a ton of stuff to playlists and then go from there. But if I don't have anything specific in mind I'll look at a radio station or shared playlists.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #62
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Took me a couple of nights to get my core playlists set up, working entirely from their library.

Got a 500'ish track one, got a 350'ish track one, got another 500'ish track one (80's, pre-80's, current)

Search one artist, then use related artist suggestions & string along one to the next until you reach an end point ... search another artist, lather/rinse/repeat.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #63
mckerney
Coordinator

I was able to register an account without Facebook by using a German IP address and was wondering if I'm missing something on radio stations. Are you only able to base them off a single artist and is there a way to exclude artists that come up from appearing again?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #64
Easy Mac

Can't exclude, can only skip. Kind of annoying.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #65
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Took me a couple of nights to get my core playlists set up, working entirely from their library.

Got a 500'ish track one, got a 350'ish track one, got another 500'ish track one (80's, pre-80's, current)

Search one artist, then use related artist suggestions & string along one to the next until you reach an end point ... search another artist, lather/rinse/repeat.

That's pretty much what I did to get star ratings.

I wish it had smart playlists like itunes so I could just get my favorites, then auto-sort in other playlists based on years/decades. Unfortunately, most of Spotify's album years are horrible due to using re-issue year instead of the year it came out originally.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #66
Desnudo
Coordinator

Has anyone tried out Rdio?

Rdio - Features
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #67
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Unfortunately, most of Spotify's album years are horrible due to using re-issue year instead of the year it came out originally.

If I'm not mistaken iTunes does some screwy things with dates as well.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #68
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
That's pretty much what I did to get star ratings.

I wish it had smart playlists like itunes so I could just get my favorites, then auto-sort in other playlists based on years/decades. Unfortunately, most of Spotify's album years are horrible due to using re-issue year instead of the year it came out originally.

Star ratings? Can you explain how you did that?
Old 06-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #69
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Has anyone tried out Rdio?

Rdio - Features

I meant to reply to this and forgot.

I subscribe to both Rdio and Spotify and is the only reason I went to an iPod touch after years of never wanting/needing one. It replaced my Zune Pass (and Zune) account (which replaced my Rhapsody/Napster situation which replaced Audiogalaxy, heh.)

I like Rdio because it has a community around it and it's a nice way to discover stuff from people with similar tastes (and different) than mine in a more organic way than Spotify where you can do the same it just takes more work. Unless you like your friends music tastes and enjoy sharing.

TL;DR: Spotify is for stuff I know I like, Rdio is for discovering new stuff.

If I had to pick between the two, I don't know which I'd keep. I think using both trials are a good way to separate the wheat from the chaff though to determine which you get more use out of. Rdio is nice because it's browser based and you don't have to install anything, independent of the mobile apps.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #70
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

I subscribe to both Rdio and Spotify and is the only reason I went to an iPod touch after years of never wanting/needing one. It replaced my Zune Pass (and Zune) account (which replaced my Rhapsody/Napster situation which replaced Audiogalaxy, heh.)

I like Rdio because it has a community around it and it's a nice way to discover stuff from people with similar tastes (and different) than mine in a more organic way than Spotify where you can do the same it just takes more work. Unless you like your friends music tastes and enjoy sharing.

If I had to pick between the two, I don't know which I'd keep. I think using both trials are a good way to separate the wheat from the chaff though to determine which you get more use out of. Rdio is nice because it's browser based and you don't have to install anything, independent of the mobile apps.

I'm going to have to check out Rdio. Was hoping that Spotify would be good for finding new music, but from checking it out it seems like it is mostly geared toward using it for music you already have. I already use Google Music for that and it does it a lot better at no cost.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #71
Autumn
Head Coach

No, Spotify is great for finding music you want to listen to, not discovering something you've never heard of before.

The best feature of Spotify is that it replaces the need to buy music. When I'm interested in a new album now I just listen to it on Spotify. You basically have access to any music you can think of (or close enough to it for me) without every having to buy. I listen to a lot more music now because rather than shelling out music to try an album I might like, I just listen to it as much as I want. If it sucks, I move on.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #72
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
No, Spotify is great for finding music you want to listen to, not discovering something you've never heard of before.

The best feature of Spotify is that it replaces the need to buy music. When I'm interested in a new album now I just listen to it on Spotify. You basically have access to any music you can think of (or close enough to it for me) without every having to buy. I listen to a lot more music now because rather than shelling out music to try an album I might like, I just listen to it as much as I want. If it sucks, I move on.

Spotify's noticeable weakness, for me at least, is with singles in advance of full album releases. One of my main playlists is a simple (and personal) current top 40 active rock tracks ... only about half of which get any radio play in Atlanta (meaning I don't hear them without some effort). After a month or so of checking, on an average week there's about 5 of 40 simply not on Spotify.

The other thing, which I wonder how often happens, I just saw this week. An album (Charm City Devils) was there and then suddenly it disappeared. Turns out they signed a new distribution deal and will re-release their new album, only out about 6 weeks, later this summer.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #73
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just had another of those cases where a track just vanished from Spotify, Headlong Flight from Rush.

My use of / interest in Spotify is going to drop considerably if tracks start vanishing on a regular basis. From a sales perspective I understand why that might be the case but as a user that's not really my problem.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-15-2012 at 10:58 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #74
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just had another of those cases where a track just vanished from Spotify, Headlong Flight from Rush.

My use of / interest in Spotify is going to drop considerably if tracks start vanishing on a regular basis. From a sales perspective I understand why that might be the case but as a user that's not really my problem.

It's the fault of the labels. They have this false impression that holding back streaming for several weeks or permanently will increase album sales, because they make so little on streaming royalties and think it cuts into people buying the album.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #75
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's the fault of the labels. They have this false impression that holding back streaming for several weeks or permanently will increase album sales, because they make so little on streaming royalties and think it cuts into people buying the album.

Eh, just cuts into me listening to the album/songs & therefore cuts into the likelihood of me buying tickets when an artist comes to town.

What's notable about this to me is that this week is the first time in a couple of months of regular Spotify use that I've seen tracks vanish.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #76
Easy Mac

Spotify has finally added radio to their iphone app.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/06/19/spotif...app-streaming/

Also, sometimes tracks disappear, but reappear at the same time. I've have albums disappear from playlists, then I search for them, and they're there, but the original album in my playlist doesn't point back to there.

What's odd is that 90% of music nowadays is available for free, non-subscription streaming for about 1-2 weeks when the album is released on like AOL or Myspace or soundcloud. You'd think they'd put it on Spotify, where they at least have a chance to make some sort of money from it being there.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #77
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

I've been amazed at how much music i've been listening to that I've never heard before. The user recommendations on the best songs on the album are very useful.

How well does the mobile app sync thing work? I'm thinking about subscribing, but only if it worked really well.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #78
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
I've been amazed at how much music i've been listening to that I've never heard before. The user recommendations on the best songs on the album are very useful.

How well does the mobile app sync thing work? I'm thinking about subscribing, but only if it worked really well.

With a good home wifi connection? It's mobile sync works great.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #79
Easy Mac

The Spotify radio on their app sucks in the way I was worried it would suck.

I picked a band to base the station off of. There's been about 20 songs played, it has yet to play that band.

I thumbed up 3 songs. It is now cycling through only those three bands.

The third party app Spot-On Radio, based on Spotify and also using EchoNest to recommend songs, did the exact same thing. Must be a problem with the recommendation service Spotify is using.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #80
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Yes, but how did you create star ratings?