Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #51
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Schiano announced that top recruit Savon Huggins would start next Saturday...

I can't wait to see what Discount Diapers can do.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #52
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Alright...now the Rivalry feels like it is back..

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/lin...TO3a8z8xw.cspx

Watch the video in the article if you can..
Old 09-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #53
MJ4H
Coordinator

I just read that Mississippi State cancelled classes today in anticipation of tonight's game with LSU.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #54
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Most likely due to traffic concerns.

Same thing happens in Tallahassee on Thursday night games. Which is why FSU has only hosted two of these, I think. Basically, downtown shuts down at noon and they ask everyone to leave so they can deal with football traffic. Trying to get 80K people to a game during rush hour in a small city is nearly impossible.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-15-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #55
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I just read that Mississippi State cancelled classes today in anticipation of tonight's game with LSU.

I also heard the had to actually pasture their cows today, just so people could drive on the streets. Not sure when they'll be allowed to leave their sorority houses.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #56
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oh snap
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #57
Ksyrup

Omega Moo
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #58
molson
General Manager

Quote:

It's just part of the inevitable phase-out of academics in SEC schools.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #59
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I am as big a fan of college football as you will find, but that is absurd.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #60
Ksyrup

I'm telling you, it's impossible to have a football game on a week night in a small college town without shutting down the town to get ready for it.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #61
Ksyrup

I tihnk this qualifies as a slight overstatement in an attempt to make an otherwise crappy football game between 2 schools known more for another sport into something bigger than it really is.

Quote:
Most college football teams have instate rivals, but none can compare to the rivalry between the University of Kentucky and the University of Louisville. Each year, the winner of the non-conference matchup earns bragging rights for its team until basketball season rolls around, so the Battle of the Bluegrass is definitely a competitive affair.

Until basketball season rolls around, huh? That's all of, what, 2 months?! Wow. Definitely a huge game when 2 months worth of bragging rights about the second most popular sport in the state (or third, if you count cornhole) are on the line.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #62
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm telling you, it's impossible to have a football game on a week night in a small college town without shutting down the town to get ready for it.

Yeah. I agree. I've seen Clemson on game days. You already need hours to get in and out of there. There is basically one road in each direction in and out of town... and you are going to be on it for 20 miles until you get to an Interstate. Rush hour traffic was ok when I was there, but add in game day traffic and no one is going anywhere.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #63
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Agreed, but I think the point is the quest for the almighty dollar (national TV exposure) is more important to these schools than teaching the students.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #64
Ksyrup

Could be. At least in FSU's case, considering Bobby Bowden swore by playing on Thursday nights to get the exposure and how many of those games we lost on the road from '95 on (I believe the UVA loss was on a Thursday, the first ACC loss), that the school still only gave in twice to host them. It's a huge inconvenience not just for the school, but the town. And Tally is the state capitol, too, so you're pretty much shutting down government as well.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #65
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

It's not like they won't be responsible for the work or that it won't be covered later. They just cancelled classes. This isn't high school, it's not a huge deal.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-15-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #66
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
It's not like they won't be responsible for the work or that it won't be covered later. They just cancelled classes. This isn't high school, it's not a huge deal.

It sends a terrible message to a bunch of 19 year old kids that the school thinks football is more important than academics.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #67
Logan
Head Coach

I'm not sure if Rutgers has ever fully canceled classes before, but teachers are free to cancel classes on game days. It's about being realistic. They know that most kids won't show up anyway.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #68
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It sends a terrible message to a bunch of 19 year old kids that the school thinks football is more important than academics.

The school thinks logistics is more important than one day of classes. Exposure for these games is not just about athletics. The school itself benefits greatly from the exposure. Look at Boise State right now. Applications and enrollment has never been higher.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #69
molson
General Manager

It's just kind of funny more than a big deal. The concept of "shutting down" a school or city for a game. I mean, what does that even mean? Are students allowed to go to the post office or the library? I'm glad I didn't go to a school like that. Syracuse was maybe a lot more diverse, everyone's lives didn't revolve around football (even when they were good). There'd be a huge hunk of students not even aware of the team's existence.

Last edited by molson : 09-15-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #70
molson
General Manager

Quote:
The school thinks logistics is more important than one day of classes. Exposure for these games is not just about athletics. The school itself benefits greatly from the exposure. Look at Boise State right now. Applications and enrollment has never been higher.

I don't know if a school can gain a ton of applications and enrollment just by playing on Thursday night though. Is your 20 point loss on Thursday night all that much better for you than your 20 point loss on Saturday afternoon? If both games are going to sell out/be on TV anyway? If your school and city can't handle such thing it's certainly a questionable decision.

Last edited by molson : 09-15-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #71
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

read the 19 year old kid part of what I said
Old 09-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #72
Ksyrup

19 year old kids can't comprehend that classes are canceled because they don't want people to sit in a 4 hour traffic jam and piss off 80K people who want to get to the game on time?
Old 09-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #73
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's just kind of funny more than a big deal. The concept of "shutting down" a school or city for a game. I mean, what does that even mean? Are students allowed to go to the post office or the library? I'm glad I didn't go to a school like that. Syracuse was maybe a lot more diverse, everyone's lives didn't revolve around football (even when they were good). There'd be a huge hunk of students not even aware of the team's existence.

I swear we have had this discussion here before,no?
In Clemson the enrollment is 18k, the town population is 21k including enrollment.
On game day the town grows to 90k (including support and officials) there isn't enough room. Students actuallylose their parking spot as every on campus legal parking spot is reserved forvseason ticket holders. Same goes for professors.

Yes it is crazy, and why our president says we will never have another Thursday game, but I not think it reflects on "life revolving around football"

Fr. Fan thoug, yeah. For a 12 kick I will leave home at 4a for the normally 2 hour drive.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #74
MacroGuru
Coordinator

So besides fighting over 19 year old kids understanding things...

I am trying to figure this out...is LSU legit this season?

They torched Oregon, they won a puff last week and are up 9-6 on Mississippi State tonight.

Their defense looks legit.....Offense, when on is solid...but they have made dumb mistakes.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 09-16-2011 at 08:05 AM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #75
cschex
High School Varsity

LSU is legit with our defense. The offense isnt that good, but the defense...honestly, this looks like the best D I've ever seen at LSU. Including Saban's '03 team. May not win it all, but will be in every game
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #76
bronconick
College Starter

Barring Les Miles deal with the devil including insanity on that day, Alabama-LSU is going to be hideous, hideous 6-3 football where the defenses just annihilate their offensive counterparts for one of the two spots in the BCSCG.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #77
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

If 'Bama gets their WRs back and they prove their worth, then I think they might go as the favorite over LSU. 'Bama just needs some WR help in putting a little scare in the defense. Right now there's no real deep threat and it's really the only thing missing on offense. 'Bama at least gets Hanks back this week and still is waiting on Duron Carter, son of Chris Carter, to be officially reinstated. He was suppose to be reinstated for the PSU game, so I don't think it will be long before he is playing. They mentioned during the PSU game that Chris thinks Duron is further along than he was at that age. Mayes is good, but he's 5-10. Hayes and Carter are 6-1 and 6-3 respectively.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #78
BishopMVP
Coordinator

LSU has also been missing their best receiver in Russell Shepherd, who will be back for West Virginia. Kind of amazing that a defense could lose Peterson, Sheppard and Nevis and actually look better the next year. That D-Line is phenomenally deep.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-16-2011 at 03:05 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #79
Ksyrup

The defense only missed Shephard when he wasn't high-fiving them on his way to play offense...
Old 09-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #80
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Michigan hasn't woken up yet. Eastern stopped at the one. Michigan went nowhere. Eastern got it back inside of the Michigan's 30 and got 3 out of it. Robinson is 0-3 with an INT. Eastern has 6.1 yards per carry.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #81
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
The defense only missed Shephard when he wasn't high-fiving them on his way to play offense...
Should've included first names. I was talking about 1st team all-SEC ILB and Bills 3rd round pick Kelvin Sheppard in my second sentence there.

PS - I know I've mentioned it once or twice on here, but I really think someone should give Gus Malzahn a head coaching shot next year.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-17-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #82
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
PS - I know I've mentioned it once or twice on here, but I really think someone should give Gus Malzahn a head coaching shot next year.

Can't wait for it to happen.

Quoting what I posted on FB.

Quote:
Random thought. I wonder what the Michigan coaching staff's opinion of Devin Gardner is when Robinson is putting up 0-5 with an INT stat in the first quarter against Eastern. I'm guessing they feel tied to play Robinson due to being the guy everybody talks about even if his passing skills might put viewers into a fetal position. And yes, I see he completes two passes to get a score. His passing skills are still horrid.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #83
Atocep
Coordinator

Two helmet to helmet hits on Geno Smith on the same play and neither is called. I don't know how a qb's helmet could fly off after being hit in the pocket and the refs not think something happened.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #84
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Quoting what I posted on FB.
Doesn't help when they're sticking him in an offense that goes against his strengths. I know Brady Hoke wants to get back to power running, but you need to spread the field and get Denard out of the pocket as long as he's your QB. It's like the exact opposite of when Urban Meyer forced Chris Leak to run the spread option his first couple years at Florida. (I also realize that occasionally the opponent will turn the ball over 4 times, stop covering WR's in the 4th quarter, and make it irrelevant but still, design your offense around the skills of your personnel until you can bring in your personnel.)
Old 09-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #85
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Doesn't help when they're sticking him in an offense that goes against his strengths. I know Brady Hoke wants to get back to power running, but you need to spread the field and get Denard out of the pocket as long as he's your QB. It's like the exact opposite of when Urban Meyer forced Chris Leak to run the spread option his first couple years at Florida. (I also realize that occasionally the opponent will turn the ball over 4 times, stop covering WR's in the 4th quarter, and make it irrelevant but still, design your offense around the skills of your personnel until you can bring in your personnel.)

It's similar to what RR did in his first year by trying to run his offense instead of taking what was there and building around it. Michigan's D will be slightly better due to the rush, but the offense is definitely worse. I think what happens next year will be interesting. Robinson will be a senior and have a whole year and off season in the system. It's games like these were you could at least groom the number #2 QB.

Michigan gets it's 2nd TD to go up 14-3. So far 21 yards passing, but 197 rushing.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #86
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Couple other interesting scores. Temple 10, PSU 7. Pitt 10, Iowa 3.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #87
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Half time in death valley....21-21.....shaping. up to be a typical Auburn Clemson game.....stadium is a lot more dead than usual for a big game.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #88
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

BTW AU must have 300 kids in their band....its crazy big.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #89
MJ4H
Coordinator

Vanderbilt 21, Ole Miss 0 at halftime.

This implosion is way more fun to watch than it should be.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #90
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Its the SEC? Since when does academics play any part whatsoever?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #91
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina is surprisingly down 21-0 to Georgia after the 1st quarter...okay maybe not surprisingly since Coastal has lost to every top division school they've played by 30 or more.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #92
tarcone
Coordinator

This season is quickly turning in an embarassment.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #93
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Pitt 17, Iowa 3.

Guy posted on FB about how the MSU vs. ND game was currently on Vs. and he was flipping out. My first comment was about it being a replay. We went back and forth and then he comes back and admits it's from two years ago and then deletes his post.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #94
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Pitt 24, Iowa 3.

Ow.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #95
tarcone
Coordinator

Our CBs are terrible, our O line is porous. Our QB is making bad decisions. Our RB cant find a hole. Sad.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #96
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
This season is quickly turning in an embarassment.

And you were saying about 3-0 Iowa State? Iowa would be lucky to be a MAC-caliber team.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #97
tarcone
Coordinator

Thank goodness. COME ON DEFENSE!
Old 09-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #98
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
And you were saying about 3-0 Iowa State? Iowa would be lucky to be a MAC-caliber team.

Iowa State will end up 4-8. Maybe, 3-9. Their BCS game is against Iowa.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #99
tarcone
Coordinator

I forgot to mention our horrible special teams. Those graduations really hurt.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #100
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I was about to mention how GT had nearly 300 yds rushing in the first half but found themselves clinging to a slim 24-17 lead over Kansas at the break.

That's now 31-17 after a 63 yard run on the first play of the 2nd half.

GT's first plays in each half = 2 carries, 158 yds, 2 TD's