Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #51
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

yes.

post time in 5 minutes. He is 4/5 odds right now. ugh
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #52
Senator

Well that was too easy. Won going away with little pressure.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #53
QuikSand
lolzcat

Results | Daily Racing Form
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #54
QuikSand
lolzcat

http://www1.drf.com/drfNCWeeklyHorse...20518&raceNo=2
Old 05-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #55
Senator

GAS showed his class against a group of overmatched state-breds today as he won by two easy lengths. He was hustled a bit down the backside, moved around horses on the turn and looked like the winner when they straightened out. He won easily under a hand ride in the final 1/16th.

Clearly GAS is best going shorter distances where his stretch punch is most effective. He's in good form and I'd love to catch another state-bred field if we can. Hopefully we'll find something for him in a few weeks that fits. He deserves another shot at a next level up at his preferred distance.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #56
thealmighty
Pro Starter

If it was a claiming race and he was so good, why wouldn't someone claim him? In other words, what's the deal with claiming?
Old 05-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #57
Senator

Most thoroughbred races are claiming races. It is the most common way a horse is acquired. He has run 9 races, and is 3-1-0-1 in those. That isn't exactly lighting it up.

Here is good definition I read that is better than I could come up with:

There are several different types of races, but most of the races run today are claiming races. A claiming race is a race where you enter your horse for a specific dollar amount, and anyone who meets certain criteria (different tracks have different rules about who is eligible to claim) can put the amount of the claim into an account with the horsemans's bookkeeper and claim (buy) your horse.
For example: If you put your horse into a $10,000 claiming race, a qualified person can put $10,000 into their account with the bookkeeper, and then on race day they fill out a claim slip, which has their name, the horse's name and sex, and the race info on it, then they put it into a locked box in the Racing Secretary's office. After the race, the box is opened, and any claim slips inside are read. If your horse has a claim slip filed, then you get the $10,000, but the claimant gets the horse. If there is more than one claim in on a horse, numbered pills corresponding to the number of claim slips are put into a bottle, which is then shaken, and a single number rolled out. The claim slip that matches that number gets the horse. Everybody else gets their money back. You don't know prior to the box being opened if there is a claim on your horse. Any purse money earned in the race belongs to the original owner, regardless of whether or not the horse is claimed.

The idea is that claiming keeps people honest, and allows lesser quality horses to compete equally. If all races were just open to everyone, then the same horses would win every time, since people with stakes horses would use cheaper races for workouts, just to earn easy money. But with claiming, you only enter your horse for a price that you feel is reasonable to lose him. So stakes horses aren't going to run against $15,000 claimers, since someone would claim the stake horse for a mere $15,000 if he were entered. The idea is to run your horse for the highest claiming amount that he can compete well at. That way you make the most money, but nobody else is likely to claim him, because he is already competing at his highest level. Most people claim because they feel that the horse can compete at higher levels than the current owner is running him at, so they feel they are getting a higher quality horse for a bargain price.

Claiming is a little risky, though, since you don't get to vet the horse prior to putting in a claim, and the horse actually belongs to you the minute the gates open, so if anything happens to the horse, you still lose the money. Also, many times the previous trainer knows any quirks that the horse has, and it can takes a new trainer quite some time to figure out a new horse.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:17 PM   #58
Senator

Ok, I have learned alot about the average horse owner since visions of winning the triple crown raced through my head.

GAS is entered in Sunday's 7th race, a $5000 claimer for NW4 going 6 1/2 furlongs.

While GAS is in very good form and coming off a nice win, this is a big step up in class as he's moving from a soft field of NW3s to tough, older horses. I'm attaching the PPs so you can see for yourself.

Daily Racing Form: Login/Access Your Account

Take a look at the horse Pacheco. Two starts back, he also won the $5000 NW3 race, just like GAS did in his last start. In Pacheco's last race, his first against advanced $5000 horses like the field this Sunday, he was clobbered. We may be facing the same fate against stablemate Spark Plug, an older horse with a ton of back class, over $150,000 earnings and still eligible for this condition.

GAS' earned a solid 60 Beyer in his last race. For a three-year-old, that's good. However, now he has to face older horses and multiple winners. That 60 number fits in with Filet Gumbo and Cook's Nook's last numbers and a few others have back numbers that are bigger. The race favorite is Spark Plug, who posted a 69 in his last and looms as the one to beat. GAS would be something around 8-1 or 10-1 on his own as his last race was about two seconds slower than Sparky's.

Last edited by Senator : 05-31-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #59
Senator

We talked through an option this afternoon of scratching Goldandsilver on Sunday morning and entering for the similar spot on June 9th going 5 1/2 furlongs. The only difference in the conditions of that $5000 claimer is the state-bred restriction. Still, that might be a good trade off to get a better distance. As you know, GAS has one good run of about a quarter mile. That burst is most effective between 5-6 furlongs. Sunday's distance of 6 1/2 might be a bit too long for his best effort.
Our trainer will keep his ear to the ground, check with the jock Agents to see who might be going into next Saturday's $5000 race and will make a game time decision on Sunday morning when early scratches are taken.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #60
Senator

Scratched. Will run next week.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #61
QuikSand
lolzcat

Entries | Daily Racing Form

RACE 2 (Post Time: 2:05) Surface: Dirt
5 1/2 Furlongs | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up | CLAIMING ( $5,000 ) | Purse: $7,500
Exacta / Trifecta / $.10 Superfecta / $.50 Pick 3 (Races 2-3-4) $.50 Pick 4 (Races 2-3-4-5)

PP HORSE JOCKEY TRAINER CLAIM $ EQUIP. MED.
1 Cook's Nook L. Quinonez
122 Lbs J. Torrez $5,000 - L
2 Rizzi Money W. Cloninger, Jr.
122 Lbs M. Willis $5,000 - L
3 Goldandsilver L. Wade
118 Lbs D. Pish $5,000 - L
4 Bubble B. Buddha A. Sigala
117 Lbs J. Garza $5,000 - L
5 Super Struggler D. Wood
122 Lbs J. Murphy $5,000 - L
6 Speed Monster A. Contreras
122 Lbs R. Diggs $5,000 - L
7 Port of Seattle M. Berry
122 Lbs W. Calhoun $5,000 - L
8 Big Tony B. McNeil
122 Lbs R. Arnold, Jr. $5,000 - L
9 Whirling Crest E. McNeil
122 Lbs J. Hare $5,000 - L
Old 06-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #62
Senator

Ok Quik, give us your read of the race. Port of Seattle looks tough.

Cool to be running on the same day as the next possible Triple Crown winner.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #63
QuikSand
lolzcat

My quick read -- both horses to your inside are fairly legitimate, but the big hitter is definitely PORT OF SEATTLE. Your guy seems like a legitimate fit, just drew poorly here, I think. I like you in the money.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #64
Senator

Well, looks like he was claimed. That was a fun experience.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #65
PilotMan
Head Coach

:/

Well, I fully expect you to put that money to good use just to keep this thread going. I mean, you have expectations to meet!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #66
Senator

There is a 7 yr old named Spark Plug I like, and one that is still being trained that has Secretariat lineage, but not sure I am going to do this again. It was really for my dad, and since he is gone, not sure I have the passion.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #68
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Well, looks like he was claimed. That was a fun experience.
Going typical dutch here: what has been the return of investment? I don't mean just in money terms, as there was the joy and thrill of having your horse race, and from the sound of things it can be unrewarding to all of a sudden lose your cherished pet.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #69
Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
How did he do in the race?

7th - he never fired at the top of the stretch.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #70
Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Going typical dutch here: what has been the return of investment? I don't mean just in money terms, as there was the joy and thrill of having your horse race, and from the sound of things it can be unrewarding to all of a sudden lose your cherished pet.

If you remember, I bought into this horse right after he was born to give to my dad as a "beat leukemia" motivation. So, after my dad passed, I had a horse that I had been paying for 2 years of food and training that had never even run.

When he finally did, and won his maiden in his first race, I felt a real connection to my dad again, and it was a tie to my dad that was really the last thing remaining. So, I was connected to this horse really as a reminder of my dad and how much he loved horse racing, and it was good but bittersweet.

I still think this horse has 40 good races left in him, and should end up around a 200k winner over his career, injury notwithstanding. Hate to lose him, but I think anyone who understands horse racing knows that claiming is the nature of the game, and unless you have a grade 1 horse that runs in stakes and allowance races, it is part of it. Still, he's been ours since he was a baby, and to see him leave just as he begins his career stinks.

I think that if I do this again, it will be when I want to spend the money on a challenger on the upper end of the food chain. Still, I have winners circle pictures in my house from this horse, and the thrill of the moment when they load your horse in the gate is pretty bad ass on my personal scale of excitement.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #71
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Is it too far-fetched to call it the hors racing variant of a kid spreading his wings to fly out to discover and conquer the world?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #72
Senator

I doubt he will conquer the world, but as far as race horses go, he is a success. If you look at the ones who try and the ones who win or make money, the ratio is pretty poor.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #73
QuikSand
lolzcat

(see race 9)

Anyone have $5k lying around to reclaim this horse?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #74
Senator

Should I?

Old 06-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #75
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Should I?

Yes. For purely selfish dynasty reading purposes.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 06-17-2012 at 09:58 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #76
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Just caught up: It was a fun read while it lasted

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #77
QuikSand
lolzcat

$4k will get him on Aug 2 in Tulsa

He gets a big weight advantage, not sure if that's a bug or a condition allowance, guessing the former. I doubt he's worth the study or the haul, but FYI.