Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #51
digamma
Torchbearer

Good.

I have been trying to come up with a way that the fans could make a difference. Game 5 is already sold out, so I wonder if you could do some sort of concessions or merchandise boycott. Go to the game to support the players, spend no money there.

digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #52
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Good.

I have been trying to come up with a way that the fans could make a difference. Game 5 is already sold out, so I wonder if you could do some sort of concessions or merchandise boycott. Go to the game to support the players, spend no money there.

Then other people suffer, the vendors, etc...because of his actions.

The problem in this situation is Sterling is basically untouchable. There is no fine that can hurt him financially and Silver can't do much more than suspend him, big deal, so he watches the games from his mansion.

I believe I heard something this morning that the other owners can force him to sell, but don't know how all that works.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #53
digamma
Torchbearer

Staples is fairly corporate in its food options. It's fine with me if McDonald's or Cuervo Tequila gets sent a message that their sales will suffer for doing business with an asshat.

I agree with you that it is a difficult web to untangle, but the alternative of simply doing nothing (which in reality is likely what will happen) is unappealing.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #54
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Staples is fairly corporate in its food options. It's fine with me if McDonald's or Cuervo Tequila gets sent a message that their sales will suffer for doing business with an asshat.

I agree with you that it is a difficult web to untangle, but the alternative of simply doing nothing (which in reality is likely what will happen) is unappealing.

Not to argue the point, but while McDonalds as a company won't suffer, the employees will. No one buying food/ t-shirts/ flip foam fingers means all those employees hours get cut, not as many janitors needed to clean the arena, they are sent home early, etc...Its a trickle down.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #55
Logan
Head Coach

Virgin America is out.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #56
digamma
Torchbearer

First, I'm talking about something more symbolic. One game is not going to cost anyone their jobs.

What would cost people jobs is trotting out a 17-65 basketball team that no one wants to go see because no free agents want to play basketball for the asshat owner. Attendance plummets to a few thousand a game. All of the upper concourse concessions are closed, etc.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #57
molson
General Manager

So the girlfriend's name is "V"?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #58
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

New thread for those of us who want to discuss this but rightfully hate the stupid long thread trend. Just moved everything from the first post about it over here. If your post was about the playoffs, just re-post it over there.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #59
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
That was a disgrace even before this story broke. Sterling has settled multiple discrimination and harassment cases for millions. There are plenty of people in L.A. that they could have chosen, but I'm sure this was about a donation given or a donation to come. Shameful.
I saw a Jesse Jackson interview where he said something along the lines of "the NAACP misread a large donation from him."

Quote:
What would cost people jobs is trotting out a 17-65 basketball team that no one wants to go see because no free agents want to play basketball for the asshat owner. Attendance plummets to a few thousand a game. All of the upper concourse concessions are closed, etc.
Yeah, I can't imagine that the organization will be competitive with him as the owner moving forward.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #60
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The "Donald Sterling's Latest Bigoted Rant And Fallout" Thread

I have long despised Sterling going back to the SD Clippers days, my 2nd least favorite owner in sports after Lauria. But I have tuned out anything from that tool the past couple of decades but I also have tuned out anything from TMZ. Do we now take TMZ seriously as a news source, esp from a disgruntled bimbo?

In the end, I wish for sterling to disappear from sports - however it can be done. That still won't make feel any less contempt for the nba though.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 04-28-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #61
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
First, I'm talking about something more symbolic. One game is not going to cost anyone their jobs.

fair enough, I just don't think anything symbolic will hurt him either.

Totally agree with the second point. Doc Rivers pretty much has his resignation ready to go.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #62
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Supposedly Magic is lobbying for the NBA to force a sale to his investment group.

Report: Magic Johnson wants to buy the Clippers - CBSSports.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #63
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I saw a Jesse Jackson interview where he said something along the lines of "the NAACP misread a large donation from him."

Another major perk of being rich. Give away the same proportion of your net worth that the average Joe does by dumping some change in a homeless person's cup and you get a community award to use as a nice PR shield you can throw up whenever any of your numerous transgressions are brought to light.

Quote:

Which then would give Sterling even more spare tickets he can use to fool people into thinking that he's not trash by donating them to minority youth groups - the circle of life! Remember: he does it out of the kindness of his heart, not the fact that putting large groups of school-aged children in the cheap seats is the surest way to prop up your attendance numbers when you have a bad NBA team.

Also echoing that Doc is not very likely to stay, He had his house burned to the ground in 1996, I believe, in what was a racially-motivated arson.

And yeah, it's 2014. TMZ and Deadspin will occasionally break news stories.

Last edited by nol : 04-28-2014 at 01:52 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #64
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Do we now take TMZ seriously as a news source, esp from a disgruntled bimbo?

Like it or not yes we do, especially when they have proof like an audio recording.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #65
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I have long despised Sterling going back to the SD Clippers days, my 2nd least favorite owner in sports after Lauria. But I have tuned out anything from that tool the past couple of decades but I also have tuned out anything from TMZ. Do we now take TMZ seriously as a news source, esp from a disgruntled bimbo?

In the end, I wish for sterling to disappear from sports - however it can be done. That still won't make feel any less contempt for the nba though.
Nice - you managed to be sexist, racist, and ignorant of modern media all in one post!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #66
Logan
Head Coach

I didn't know Phil Mushnick posted here.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #67
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

HAHAHAHAHAHA
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #68
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Supposedly Magic is lobbying for the NBA to force a sale to his investment group.

Report: Magic Johnson wants to buy the Clippers - CBSSports.com

why did i read the comments under this article. I keep trying to quit doing that. People are such hacks.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #69
Buccaneer
Head Coach

But comments to articles, including those with Facebook ids, are a big part of the modern media too. When there are no standards, then everything goes, including stupid comments to articles.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #70
Logan
Head Coach

Does Sterling own 100% of the team at this point? I'm pretty sure he bought them on his own but didn't know if he had sold off any pieces over time.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #71
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Does Sterling own 100% of the team at this point? I'm pretty sure he bought them on his own but didn't know if he had sold off any pieces over time.

A quick cursory Google seems to indicate that he's still the sole owner.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #72
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm guessing that Stern's master plan here was to just hope that Sterling died before he got involved in anything controversial again. I guess there's really not much Stern could even do as commissioner, but it still sucks.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #73
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm guessing that Stern's master plan here was to just hope that Sterling died before he got involved in anything controversial again. I guess there's really not much Stern could even do as commissioner, but it still sucks.

Well apparently Stern could do anything, such as deciding who won or lost any game and who got each draft pick. I don't see why he wouldn't be able to pull off some kind of organized hit if he really wanted to get rid of Sterling.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #74
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Adam Silver is now the commish...

Suck it John Farrell guy...

Last edited by Lathum : 04-28-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #75
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Well apparently Stern could do anything, such as deciding who won or lost any game and who got each draft pick. I don't see why he wouldn't be able to pull off some kind of organized hit if he really wanted to get rid of Sterling.

There's no bylaws against fixing games or the lottery though.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #76
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Adam Silver is now the commish...

Suck it John Farrell guy...

yeah, but a bunch of shit just happened on Stern's watch through the years and he shrugged it off and figured it wouldn't come to any kind of head, or if it did Stern would be outta there anyways.

(and you know I love you but John Farrell won the WS last year, that's kind of a big deal)
Old 04-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #77
Logan
Head Coach

Rachel Zarrell ‏@rachelzarrell 9m

UPDATE: Loanmart is suspending their Clippers sponsorship. Only two companies remain -- Yokohama tires & Corona.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #78
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Why is no one talking about the fact that Sterling

a) Has apparently been married for 50 years
b) Has a biracial girlfriend
c) Has no issues with his girlfriend sleeping around

Not that that should take away from his comments or distract from them, but that's a whole nother thing!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #79
Logan
Head Coach

Old 04-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #80
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

If A and B are true, he doesn't have much to stand on in regards to C.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #81
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
If A and B are true, he doesn't have much to stand on in regards to C.

Very true - I just find that part of the whole story...not amusing...but...eye-raising also I guess I'd say.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #82
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If only there was a way to poll the members of this organization as to whether the lady in question is hot or not. I'd need to probably see a full body shot before determining this.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #83
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If only there was a way to poll the members of this organization as to whether the lady in question is hot or not. I'd need to probably see a full body shot before determining this.

hit the google, they're out there.

My take is "Not"
Old 04-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #84
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

not

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #85
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

I would say yes in some shots and hell no in others, which usually indicates a whole lot of prep is needed..

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #86
stevew
Hall Of Famer

not really into that much hind quarters action.

yeah, she def has chameleon type looks where she never looks exactly the same twice.

Last edited by stevew : 04-28-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #87
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Very true - I just find that part of the whole story...not amusing...but...eye-raising also I guess I'd say.

Combined with the statement from his wife, I found this part VERY amusing.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #88
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Combined with the statement from his wife, I found this part VERY amusing.

Yeah - I mean it seems like they clearly have some sort of arrangement, which is fine, that's none of our business.

But then he's got a mistress who is at least somewhat serious (being photographed with her in public frequently). And he's clearly nonchalant about his mistress sleeping with other guys. Which again, that's fine, none of our business.

But put it all together and it's just...an interesting window into his personal life.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #89
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

She gets close to his money but not that close, and he gets to bang a chick well out of his league in terms of looks. Players are so well known to have women on the side it isn't surprising to see owners do it as well.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #90
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

...or rich people in general
Old 04-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #91
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
...or rich people in general

Sadly... people in general.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #92
ColtCrazy
College Starter

It's bad enough to have one on the side…but to flaunt it??? Sterling definitely has an inflated opinion of himself.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #94
molson
General Manager

He separated with his wife a long time ago. So he's openly living the billionaire playboy lifestyle now. And I'm sure at his age, he doesn't care about emotional commitment or anything.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #95
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

You would think with his money that he could have pulled something better.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #96
nol
Banned

It's Los Angeles. There are plenty of slightly less rich but extremely less decrepit creepy dudes on the prowl for girls in their twenties.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 PM   #97
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

Not that that should take away from his comments or distract from them, but that's a whole nother thing!

I'd like to introduce you to a thing called Orientalism.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #98
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Presser is at 2.

I predict a $1m or so fine, indefinite suspension, independent management being brought in at least temporarily while he either looks to sell or prepares an extraordinary financial apology.

I sure hope that they don't let him just transfer over d2d stuff to Rochelle.

Ideally the other 29 owners and the league would each temporarily give him 30m a piece for the team and he'd walk away but you don't have a net worth of 1.9bn by going away quietly.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #99
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
It's bad enough to have one on the side…but to flaunt it??? Sterling definitely has an inflated opinion of himself.

Let's just suppose he doesnt subscribe to traditional morality. His wife is approx 80 and it's realistic that she can no longer have sex. His dick still works. Maybe he could be more discreet I guess, but he's basically the modern equivalent of a fuedal lord with his massive wealth and power

Last edited by stevew : 04-29-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #100
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Presser is at 2.

I predict a $1m or so fine, indefinite suspension, independent management being brought in at least temporarily while he either looks to sell or prepares an extraordinary financial apology.

I sure hope that they don't let him just transfer over d2d stuff to Rochelle.

Ideally the other 29 owners and the league would each temporarily give him 30m a piece for the team and he'd walk away but you don't have a net worth of 1.9bn by going away quietly.

The league should take control and trade Chris Paul to the Lakers.