Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2014, 04:57 AM   #51
whomario
Pro Starter

I dunno, i think the last 6 or 7 years showed enough diversity in the Top4 teams that it does not seem to be all that pronounced an issue.

But of course it is tougher to get to that state where you get essentially unfireable or can choose your job as you´d like it.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-11-2014 at 05:01 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #52
korme
Go Reds

You think there is hatred for Miami now, imagine if this happened.

Report: Heat Looking To Add Carmelo Anthony, Create Big Four
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #53
korme
Go Reds

Fun game to play.

Imagine you're on the new big 4, being the fifth starter. How many games could that team win in the NBA today if you were starting?

I'd say we could probably go get 45-50 wins, Lebron/Wade would have to bring the ball up and you'd have to hide me on defense. I'd probably take 4 shots a game, all threes, with one per game usually being blocked.

Last edited by korme : 06-12-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #54
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Fun game to play.

Imagine you're on the new big 4, being the fifth starter. How many games could that team win in the NBA today if you were starting?

I'd say we could probably go get 45-50 wins, Lebron/Wade would have to bring the ball up and you'd have to hide me on defense. I'd probably take 4 shots a game, all threes, with one per game usually being blocked.

65 games. I'd go in, immediately commit 6 fouls and then watch from the bench. My stat line would look like a Roy Hibbert playoff game.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #55
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
65 games. I'd go in, immediately commit 6 fouls and then watch from the bench. My stat line would look like a Roy Hibbert playoff game.

Cheater
Old 06-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #56
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Fun game to play.

I'm still young enough to have played with/against two lotto picks in this upcoming draft (McDermott and Vonleh), and I'm confident I could make 30+ percent of my unguarded threes if I spent all my time practicing that. Also gives me hope seeing Mario Chalmers out there because someone who knows he sucks and stays out of the way would probably not have as much of an adverse impact as whatever he's doing.

Even if I'm completely overmatched on the defensive end, I could just pull the same stupid maneuvers Chalmers does where I run directly over someone setting a screen or attempt to draw a charge 25 feet from the basket with the hopes that 2 percent of the time the ref will make a terrible call in my favor.

Last edited by nol : 06-12-2014 at 03:46 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #57
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hate watching Chalmers play fwiw. If he was on some shit team he might get 10 minutes a game. Because Miami just needs him to camp and make open 3s aanddo so little else he's valuable to them.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #58
nol
Banned

It's amazing how low the bar is set for what he needs to do. Normally teams can put full-court pressure on a bad PG and make his life miserable, but that's the last thing you want to do against Chalmers because it would make James or Wade initiate the offense instead.

As far as getting Carmelo, that would be asking a lot from Wade. He's the closest of any of those guys to being completely washed up/retired, and creating the cap room would require him to opt out of a deal that gives him $20 million next season.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #59
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I mentioned it on another forum and Simmons said it the other week in a podcast. The thing is for Wade to take his 40 million and then add on 3 years at 10m/year but to make it into a 5 year deal for 70. His 2014-15 hit would be like 12M and his likelihood of getting anything close to a 3 year/30m deal if he plays out his options seems really weak. Plus I think you can include incentives that could reduce the starting salary of 12 down by even a bit more.

The Carmelo thing def will happen
Old 06-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #60
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I mentioned it on another forum and Simmons said it the other week in a podcast. The thing is for Wade to take his 40 million and then add on 3 years at 10m/year but to make it into a 5 year deal for 70. His 2014-15 hit would be like 12M and his likelihood of getting anything close to a 3 year/30m deal if he plays out his options seems really weak. Plus I think you can include incentives that could reduce the starting salary of 12 down by even a bit more.

The Carmelo thing def will happen

If that happens it'll be ridiculous. Not that I'm a big basketball fan at all, but if that happens then it's like...why should any other fans in virtually any other city pay attention to their teams as far as them having a shot at being competitive for the title.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The irony, perhaps, is in the successful example of stars cutting their pay (in half) to help the team with salary cap ...

From July 2012
Tim Duncan cut his paycheck in half, so that his San Antonio Spurs could remain whole | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
Old 06-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #62
chadritt
High School Varsity

Yeah, its REALLY hard for me to get mad at star players like Lebron for taking less than they could get on the open market so they can have a better supporting cast. We bitch and bitch and bitch when guys take the max they can get because it makes the team too weak for a title and then we bitch when they go "here, ill take enough that we can get another star or two or three". What should we be rooting for someone like Lebron to do here?
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #63
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Yeah, its REALLY hard for me to get mad at star players like Lebron for taking less than they could get on the open market so they can have a better supporting cast. We bitch and bitch and bitch when guys take the max they can get because it makes the team too weak for a title and then we bitch when they go "here, ill take enough that we can get another star or two or three". What should we be rooting for someone like Lebron to do here?

That and it's kind of what the NBA deserves for lowballing the players so much that the stars get paid much less than they're worth. It's much easier to take $15 million and another star player on your team when the alternative's $20 rather than $40-50 million.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #64
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Am I the only one who thinks Mello doesnt improve the Heat?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #65
nol
Banned

It wouldn't make them unbeatable especially as everyone gets older, but they had a relatively easy run to get to the Finals this year with Rashard Lewis where Carmelo would be. Carmelo is a ridiculously good shooter when he's not the main option and taking questionable shots - he might've led team USA in scoring the past two Olympics just from knocking down like 60% of his threes from the shorter line.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #66
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Isn't Miami showing that they don't have much defense beyond LeBron right now? How does Melo help that?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #67
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Isn't Miami showing that they don't have much defense beyond LeBron right now? How does Melo help that?

SI

Because one good offensive player can do more for your offense than one good defensive player can do for your defense.

A team like the Spurs will find your defensive weak links regardless. LeBron's had 3 baskets scored on him all game, and 2 of them were contested threes. When the alternative is plugging in Rashard Lewis or some other 38-year-old, why not?
Old 06-12-2014, 10:46 PM   #68
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Would Wade be willing to take an even lesser role? He'd be, most likely, the third option. I don't disagree that Melo probably gives the Heat an automatic trip back to the Finals (just think the Pacers are in flux), but I'm not sure how Wade and Bosh would handle the diminished roles.

On a side note…how bad does the Leonard-Hill trade look now for the Pacers? I know, the Pacers needed a PG when the deal was made, but still. Hill is about as good as he's ever going to get. Leonard is 22 and looks like he may be hitting another level.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #69
nol
Banned

I remember during that draft thinking that the Pacers had agreed in advance to trade their pick for Hill not knowing Leonard would fall there. I thought he'd get drafted in the 5-10 range (at least before Jimmer).
Old 06-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #70
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Would Wade be willing to take an even lesser role? He'd be, most likely, the third option. I don't disagree that Melo probably gives the Heat an automatic trip back to the Finals (just think the Pacers are in flux), but I'm not sure how Wade and Bosh would handle the diminished roles.

Unless they are turning back the clock, they don't really have options.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:27 PM   #71
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Bosh doesnt help the Heat at all.

Honestly instead of Melo I think the heat would be helped more by getting 2 or 3 mid level guys who can play D, rebound and score without needing to make their own shot.

I loved Bosh in Toronto, but I think Boozer would help the Heat way more than Bosh. OR keep Bosh and add a true 5 and let Bosh slide down to the 4.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:03 AM   #72
nol
Banned

Bosh is normally huge for their defensive scheme, but the Spurs move the ball around so well to mitigate what he does so well against the other 28 teams - guard the pick-and-roll far from the basket.

The Heat have seemed to have trouble understanding that when the Spurs run a P-N-R, it's not for Tony Parker or Boris Diaw to drive hard to the basket and try to score but to set up something 5-10 seconds later. They want Miami to jump out all over the initial screen and get out of position to defend the actual play - the same general strategy Indiana uses to occasionally look good against Indiana, but San Antonio has much, much better offensive personnel.

That's where I think Spoelstra's somewhat overrated as a coach - there's a big disconnect between how he talks about the Heat (positionless basketball, creating havoc all over the court) and how they actually play (bottom-5 pace in the league this season, 2 bad PGs get lots of playing time when the SG and SF are better at running an offense). The Heat's defensive scheme is that of some young team that has trouble scoring in the half court and needs to manufacture as many fast-break baskets as possible, which is the exact opposite of what they are offensively. That kind of defense is obviously something a roster of old guys can't sustain.

As far as getting multiple cheaper guys instead of Melo, that would definitely be ideal, but there was something I wrote in another thread where guys with all of those skills are actually rarer than you'd think and are being paid more as the league comes to realize their importance. That's where being more proactive in terms of looking through guys playing overseas rather than just going for 'name' players the past few years would've helped.

Last edited by nol : 06-13-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #73
nol
Banned

Less than 2 weeks from the draft, I wouldn't be surprised if there ends up being some movement among the top 3 picks.

Been hearing that Milwaukee wouldn't mind moving down from number 2 if they can get rid of Larry Sanders' contract in the same deal, and the Sixers are also high enough on Andrew Wiggins that they'd be interested in moving up if he's not going to be there at 3.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #74
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Probably will see some movement on the Cavs coaching hire this week. Blatt comes in tomorrow... My thought is we'll know if he's the guy by Friday. Otherwise Blatt will go to GS. Whomever is hired better damn well know how to use Kyrie and Dion together. Also moving Tristan is paramount. Anthony Bennett has so much more NBA style upside.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #75
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm sorta hoping for Blatt to be honest. It's a risk, but at the same time I think it's a good gamble compared to other known commodities.

Definitely agree on both Thompson and Bennett - I wouldn't mind Thompson as first big off the bench, but if we are starting Varejao and Thompson in the frontcourt again this year, I expect another mediocre result unless Wiggins/Parker/whoever is the 2nd coming.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:18 PM   #76
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

LeBron not sounding like a guy who wants to stay pat and do a retry.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #77
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
LeBron not sounding like a guy who wants to stay pat and do a retry.

If winning is really all that matters to him, I think he's crazy if he stays assuming Riley doesn't have an Ace up his sleeve.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #78
RainMaker
General Manager

Where else would he go? Not many teams have that kind of cap space and I don't see him as the kind of person who would want to go to the West.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-18-2014 at 07:21 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #79
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I think he stays.

Some Philly writer talked of him joining the Sixers since we are 33 million under the cap, but I'm extremely doubtful of such an event occurring.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #80
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Where else would he go? Not many teams have that kind of cap space and I don't see him as the kind of person who would want to go to the West.

I honestly dont think he cares about the cap.
Hell he just got 38Million off the apple beats sale and his Nike annual is reportedlty 9 figures.

I would relaly like to see him take league minimum to go somewhere absurd, jus to see how it would be turned into a selfish move.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #81
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think this is just a power play by Lebron to get the owner to go over the tax. I doubt he leaves Miami for Cleveland, Philly, Charlotte, Atlanta or some other team with space.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #82
korme
Go Reds

Pat Riley's press conference is intimidating me into re-signing with Miami
Old 06-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #83
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Joel "Don't call me Sam Bowie" Embiid suffers another injury:

Joel Embiid suffers foot injury prior to NBA draft - ESPN
Old 06-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #84
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Pat Riley might get a chance to build an entire team this offseason - 13 of the 15 Miami players are Free Agents.

FA - Retiring
Ray Allen
Shane Battier

UFA
Michael Beasley
Mario Chalmers
Toney Douglas
Udonis Haslem
James Jones
Rashard Lewis
Greg Oden

RFA - Early Termination Option
Chris Bosh
LeBron James
Dwyane Wade

RFA - Player Option
Chris Anderson

Still on the team
Norris Cole
Justin Hamilton
Old 06-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #85
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post

FA - Retiring
Ray Allen
Shane Battier

Has Allen decided/announced? I knew Battier had but I thought that Allen was still undetermined/undecided.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #86
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post

Seeing how this draft is shaping up makes all the tanking talk beginning at least a year ago seem even crazier.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #87
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Bill Simmons already positing that Embiid will fall to the Celtics.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #88
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post

I have long been of the opinion that Embiid is a bust waiting to happen, mostly because I see the same injury type issues we saw with Greg Oden. Maybe not that extensive, but enough to really limit his potential. That, plus the fact he is still a rather raw player learning to play the game.

I have long considered it to be nuts that any team would take Embiid, especially in today's guard and wing dominated NBA, over Wiggins or Parker.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #89
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I have long been of the opinion that Embiid is a bust waiting to happen, mostly because I see the same injury type issues we saw with Greg Oden. Maybe not that extensive, but enough to really limit his potential. That, plus the fact he is still a rather raw player learning to play the game.

I have long considered it to be nuts that any team would take Embiid, especially in today's guard and wing dominated NBA, over Wiggins or Parker.

I don't think he'll bust (I'm betting Exum does).

That being said, he'll be drafted too high.

This may just work for the Sixers who can grab him and sit him for the year (Sixers if they make the playoffs lose a draft pick to Boston?Miami? next season)

A year off with Nerlens and MCW (he's hurt now too) and whatever they grab at 10, and you have a freakish team.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 06-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #90
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Embiid's agent is just fucking with the Cavs. That's my running theory.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #91
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Thought I read that the Cavs discovered the injury and informed the agency.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #92
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post
Thought I read that the Cavs discovered the injury and informed the agency.

That is what Woj is reporting...potential right foot fracture.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #93
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

This may be worse than suspected.

Adrian Wojnarowski (WojYahooNBA) on Twitter
Old 06-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #94
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm, I dunno. Even with a broken foot I wouldn't pass up on the guy. It's not about whether he misses the first 25-50 games of his rookie year anyways. We gotta get off this "playoffs now" type mentality they got brewing. In an ideal situation you'd draft Embiid and he wouldn't need to play more than 1600 minutes next year anyways. While I see the obvious potential in Bennett, I still feel that Noel was probably the way to go.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #95
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hmmm, I dunno. Even with a broken foot I wouldn't pass up on the guy. It's not about whether he misses the first 25-50 games of his rookie year anyways. We gotta get off this "playoffs now" type mentality they got brewing. In an ideal situation you'd draft Embiid and he wouldn't need to play more than 1600 minutes next year anyways. While I see the obvious potential in Bennett, I still feel that Noel was probably the way to go.

This is why I think it doesn't hurt the Sixers...if Noel has no further health issues and they get Embiid (for value) and he's fine after this, wowzers....
Old 06-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #96
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I don't think Parker or Wiggins are going to be as good as Durant, and I don't think Embiid is going to be as bad (or as unfortunate) as Oden. But that's what I see here. If the Cavs take Embiid, they will watch Parker and Wiggins blow up into All Stars in the very near future while their guy is busy trying to stay healthy and "learn" the game.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #97
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think Parker or Wiggins are going to be as good as Durant, and I don't think Embiid is going to be as bad (or as unfortunate) as Oden. But that's what I see here. If the Cavs take Embiid, they will watch Parker and Wiggins blow up into All Stars in the very near future while their guy is busy trying to stay healthy and "learn" the game.

Even if he's 100% healthy there's no reason why he would be making all star type impacts for at least his first season or two. Taking him is a long game play anyways. If this is some thing where there's two bones in his foot that will never heal or something, okay pass. If it were an ankle injury I'd pass. But it's a long game play and while Embiid is going to be good, the Cavs best center for 2014 will be Andy. Or at least Andy for the 30-50 games he can play before he gets a season ending injury.

And people want to mock Kyrie and Waiters, but if the new coach can introduce an effective offense from this century, both of those guys are going to put up a ton of points. Maybe I'm just delusional but Waiters put up 19ppg after the all star break. I also like the fact that he's willing to punch a teammate in the face.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #98
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Even if he's 100% healthy there's no reason why he would be making all star type impacts for at least his first season or two. Taking him is a long game play anyways. If this is some thing where there's two bones in his foot that will never heal or something, okay pass. If it were an ankle injury I'd pass. But it's a long game play and while Embiid is going to be good, the Cavs best center for 2014 will be Andy. Or at least Andy for the 30-50 games he can play before he gets a season ending injury.

And people want to mock Kyrie and Waiters, but if the new coach can introduce an effective offense from this century, both of those guys are going to put up a ton of points. Maybe I'm just delusional but Waiters put up 19ppg after the all star break. I also like the fact that he's willing to punch a teammate in the face.

I hope for your sake, Steve, that you're right, but I don't see Embiid as a Duncan or Griffin or KG or some other strong, active, athletic big man. He just doesn't have that skillset. He can learn, sure, but he doesn't have the kind of natural skills that comes from being a kid growing up with the game, and in that way, he'll always be a little behind. That probably slow development curve with limited potential plus the injury history tells me he is way overrated for the #1 spot in this draft.

If I were the Cavs, I would go with Wiggins and either see if Bennett can play the 4 in the smaller, quicker lineup that is more common in the NBA now, or I would use Bennett as a piece to try to get Love.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #99
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm leery of big men with a history of foot/leg injuries. I would probably take Embiid in the 4-6 range, but not over the top 2 wing guys.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #100
nol
Banned

Quote:
He can learn, sure, but he doesn't have the kind of natural skills that comes from being a kid growing up with the game, and in that way, he'll always be a little behind.

If only he had been dribbling a basketball out of the womb like Hakeem Olajuwon and Tim Duncan were

And I like Wiggins enough that I'd have been fine with a team taking him first overall before Embiid's injury. Just saying that the age at which one starts playing basketball is not the end-all be-all predictor for how skills and basketball IQ develop, especially when we're talking about seven-footers. In fact, you could easily argue that playing in a year-round competitive setting from elementary school onwards hinders the long-term development of big men.

Last edited by nol : 06-19-2014 at 01:31 PM.