Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #51
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I'm outside of the UK these days - but as an English person I'm personally appalled at how much bending over backwards the UK Government appears to be happy to do in order to retain Scotland at part of the Union.

Frankly they already have the 'best of it' with regards to many services - if they want to sod off and see how they get on alone I'd let them do it.

The alternative is simply to give them more then repeat this farce in ten years time when they once again get fed up with their 'harsh' treatment of getting better services than the rest of the UK ...

This has been said almost verbatim in regards to Quebec by almost every Canadian west of Ontario for the past 30 years.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #52
CAsterling
High School JV

Quote:
The truth about the Scottish referendum ...

Scottish Referendum Truth (Video)

I love the "its not quite a Blue Peter badge" line
Old 09-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #53
Galaxy
Coordinator

So Scotland's two biggest financial institutions-Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds-threatened that they'll move to England if Scotland votes yes. Similar to how Montreal's big companies moved to Toronto over the years.

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-11-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #54
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Having traveled in Scotland (my father also spent a year there when he was in college), I can certainly see why this movement has momentum.

But I don't see it passing, unless Miliband does something really dumb in the next few days. Polling in Quebec prior to their last sovereignty referendum in 1995 had the "yes" vote steadily moving up - even to a 4-6 point lead with that similar large number of undecideds in the final week. It ended up losing by 1 point.

The real test is how London responds to a failed vote. Since it's Labour country, will the party make changes to ensure that this doesn't happen again?

We can count on Ed!

It is a strange situation that the Tory government is supposed to be campaigning for Scotland to stay, while if they do secede then the Tories are more likely to be in power for longer in the future. They're generally not well liked in Scotland it's fair to say, which is one of the reasons why the old labour Scots Darling & Brown have been the main faces of Better Together

For me I think that the Scots are mistaken if they truly believe they will be better off independent, and it would be doubtful IMO if they would get into the EU straight away, but as long as things like taking on a share of the national debt and border controls were agreed properly, while it would affect the rest of the UK, if the majority of Scots truly want an independent Scotland who are we to stop them?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #55
molson
General Manager

I think everybody was waiting for Kim Jong-un to chime in on this whole situation, so here you go!

North Korea 'backs Scottish independence' - Telegraph
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #56
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Can't let the terrorist states win!! So don't vote yes .

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-11-2014 at 02:04 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #57
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think everybody was waiting for Kim Jong-un to chime in on this whole situation, so here you go!

North Korea 'backs Scottish independence' - Telegraph

I was just asking myself this morning, "what does Kim Jong-Un think about this?!?"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #58
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I like that the trade they are looking for is to trade natural resources for Scotch whiskey. Seems like that should improve the quality of life in North Korea (for the 10 government officials who receive the shipment).
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #59
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I was just asking myself this morning, "what does Kim Jong-Un think about this?!?"

SI

My favorite part of that story:

"Exclusive: Kim Jong-un's regime would support an independent Scotland under Alex Salmond and is hoping to trade its natural resources for Scotch whisky, officials tell Telegraph"

""I believe independence will be positive as it will encourage personal exchanges and provide both countries with business chances," said Choe. "North Korea is rich in natural resources and we like the taste of Scotch whisky, so we can be beneficial to each other."
Old 09-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #60
Galaxy
Coordinator

Old 09-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #61
Desnudo
Coordinator

Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #62
MartinD
High School Varsity

At this point, the polling suggests that it will be close, with the No campaign slightly ahead - there are good reasons for both sides to think that they might do better on Thursday than the opinion polls suggest, though, which could make for an interesting few hours on Friday morning as the results are announced...
MartinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #63
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Old 09-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #64
vex
Grizzled Veteran

That was outstanding.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #65
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Oliver's been pretty spot on with a bunch of his monologues.

I haven't caught his show in a couple weeks, but all the episodes are sitting on my dvr waiting for me and even if they're outdated I will catch up on them.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #66
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
For me I think that the Scots are mistaken if they truly believe they will be better off independent, and it would be doubtful IMO if they would get into the EU straight away, but as long as things like taking on a share of the national debt and border controls were agreed properly, while it would affect the rest of the UK, if the majority of Scots truly want an independent Scotland who are we to stop them?

At the moment even taking into consideration their Oil revenues Scotland are NOT net contributors to the UK*, that is they're subsidized by the other parts of the UK (largely London and Southern England).

If they leave then they keep 'most' of their Oil revenues but not all, thus as I see if they're welcome to sod off if they want to - they'll find their budget decreases** and the deficit of England goes down .... personally as an English person I'm absolutely appalled at how much the current Government is bending over backwards to keep them, why do they deserve BETTER than the rest of the United Kingdom - United means sharing fairly between all ...

Scotland Revenue (inc. Oil) vs Spending per capita

*There hasn't been a 'surplus' in this regard since 2001.
**Initially by whatever part of the Oil revenue they give up to the rest of the UK and the size of their current budget deficit which is no longer subsidised by the rest of the UK (deficit was 1500 UKP per capita last year). Then by far more in 20-30 years when their Oil revenue starts declining.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 09-16-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #67
Galaxy
Coordinator

Our £30bn divorce: If Scotland leaves, get set to fight over oil, land, works of art... and even the Channel Tunnel | Mail Online

The Scottish nationalist want a 30 billion pound settlement from the UK?!? I'm assuming they will take the share of the debt, too right? After all, it's fair.

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-16-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #68
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I think the SNP thinks that will happen, but there is no way that the UK government agrees to that. And if the Scottish walk away from their part of the debt, then credit agencies are going to downgrade Scottish credit ridiculously low, which will kill their economy.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #69
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

From the link:

Quote:
But a UK Government spokesman did not accept that Scotland would be given everything the SNP is demanding if Scots do leave the UK.

He said: 'A vote to leave the UK is a vote to leave its institutions. The division of assets and liabilities would be a matter for negotiation between the continuing UK and an independent Scotland.'

Exactly right. You are voting to leave things like Channel 4, 10 Downing Street (the chutzpah there!), the British Embassy in Paris, etc.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #70
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, I think the SNP thinks that will happen, but there is no way that the UK government agrees to that. And if the Scottish walk away from their part of the debt, then credit agencies are going to downgrade Scottish credit ridiculously low, which will kill their economy.

I'm not convinced SNP really thinks that will happen, but they certainly want voters to believe it will.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #71
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Should US deploy troops to Scotland

(not a serious article ... obviously )
Old 09-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #72
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm not convinced SNP really thinks that will happen, but they certainly want voters to believe it will.

At the moment the referendum for independence appears to be presented in such a way where the rest of the UK roll over and get shafted for the good of the newly minted Scottish nation ... I think that Scotland will have a nasty surprise waiting if they they do leave ... especially if they try and not take on a fair share of the debt.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #73
Galaxy
Coordinator

The polls close at 10PM, correct?
Old 09-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #74
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
The polls close at 10PM, correct?

Yep, 10PM local time. And evidently there is no exit polling, so we'll have to wait for the actual ballot counts to start being released to get any idea of how the voting went.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #75
Izulde
Head Coach

Currency markets and oddsmaker shifts appear to signal No vote coming, unfortunately

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #76
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Guardian is doing a live blog of the results, and will update the tallies as they come in.

Scottish referendum result - YouGov predicts 54 no, 46 yes - live | Politics | theguardian.com
Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #77
cartman
Death Herald

official results are starting to trickle in
Old 09-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #78
Ryan S
Quarterback

The local authority most likely to vote Yes according to Credit Suisse has voted No has voted 54% No. This area makes up just 1% of the population, so there is still a long way to go.

You can see the "Yes Rating" at the link below.

Nicola on Twitter: "Scottish Referendum results - Expected Timing http://t.co/tVIrWMRUNq"

Last edited by Ryan S : 09-18-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #79
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
official results are starting to trickle in

And looking like it may be a (relative) landslide for No.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #80
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Not looking good for the independence camp.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #81
Galaxy
Coordinator

Does this mean the end of Salmond's role as Scottish FM if this goes to a "No"?
Old 09-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #82
MartinD
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Does this mean the end of Salmond's role as Scottish FM if this goes to a "No"?

No, the referendum is unrelated to the Scottish Parliament or the post of First Minister. (That said, Alex Salmond has been in front-line politics for a very long time, so may stand down as leader of the SNP at some point in the near future - nothing to suggest that this is going to happen, just a bit of speculation on my part.)
Old 09-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #83
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinD View Post
No, the referendum is unrelated to the Scottish Parliament or the post of First Minister. (That said, Alex Salmond has been in front-line politics for a very long time, so may stand down as leader of the SNP at some point in the near future - nothing to suggest that this is going to happen, just a bit of speculation on my part.)

If the No vote wins tonight, I can see Alex Salmond stepping down at the next election. There will not be another referendum for at least a generation, so I don't think he would want to stick around.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #84
bhlloy
Coordinator

Considering Salmond cancelled his appearance at his count long before any results starting coming in, they must have known this kind of result was coming
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #85
tarcone
Coordinator

I was hoping this would lead to California declaring independence. Oh well, maybe next time.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #86
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What worse performance:
Yes ... or Tampa Bay
Old 09-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #87
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
If the No vote wins tonight, I can see Alex Salmond stepping down at the next election. There will not be another referendum for at least a generation, so I don't think he would want to stick around.

Lots of folks were saying if "Yes" won, David Cameron would have to step down as Prime Minister, so fair is fair for Salmond .
Old 09-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #88
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinD View Post

Sorry--I know he stays on legally, but more as a position of stepping down since he's invested so much (if not all) his political capital in this. How do you carry on as lame duck leader after a rather big risk?

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-18-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #89
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

From The Guardian's live online coverage:

Quote:
On Sky News the polling expert Michael Thrasher says that, if the pattern of the first four results is repeated across Scotland, Scotland will vote no by a larger margin than the pollsters predicted.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #90
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I read a few days ago a guy saying that research shows that in a yes/no referendum with a high number of I don't knows in polling, a large majority of IDKs that vote, vote no. He said No would win by a few points more than was being polled.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #91
MartinD
High School Varsity

Whatever the result turns out to be (and at this point, it looks like No by a fairly comfortable margin), the turnout is very impressive - likely to be well over 80%, going by what I've seen so far.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #92
cartman
Death Herald

'Yes' just got a big win in Dundee. Picked up nearly 14,000 votes.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #93
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
'Yes' just got a big win in Dundee. Picked up nearly 14,000 votes.

Its the big territories which 'really' count, although the small ones add up - the big 4-5 have a huge proportion of the votes ... Glasgow, Fife and Edinburgh add up to 1.1m votes ... by contrast the 12 regions so far add up to 700,000 ...
Old 09-18-2014, 10:30 PM   #94
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Its the big territories which 'really' count, although the small ones add up - the big 4-5 have a huge proportion of the votes ... Glasgow, Fife and Edinburgh add up to 1.1m votes ... by contrast the 12 regions so far add up to 700,000 ...

And it sounds like the big 4-5 will be announcing results in the next 90 minutes or so.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #95
cartman
Death Herald

Dumfries and Galloway, the council bordering England, just gave 'no' their biggest win so far, breaking nearly 2 to 1.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #96
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

If the big 4-5 don't all fall heavily "Yes" then this is all over before midnight ...
Old 09-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #97
cartman
Death Herald

Abderdeen delivers another big win for 'no', 84k to 59k.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #98
bhlloy
Coordinator

Glasgow is going to make this a bit more respectable for Yes, but it's all over at this point. Looks like the last two days polls are going to be pretty much bang on.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:45 PM   #99
cartman
Death Herald

The Scottish Labour leader Johann Lamont is claiming victory for 'no'.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:53 PM   #100
cartman
Death Herald

North Lanarkshire and South Lanarkshire are the two biggest councils to report in so far. Both 'yes' and 'no' got over 100k votes each, with 'yes' winning the North by ~5k and 'no' winning the South by ~20k

Last edited by cartman : 09-18-2014 at 10:53 PM.