Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2015, 12:24 AM   #51
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Look, I have seen this a number of times now (or it feels like) from either you or BYU14 or whatever. Congrats, attaboy, you got a big one against a terrible coaching staff with not one player who is still on the team (hell, I can't even remember how far back that goes, was that two coaching staffs ago?).

If you want to thump your chest about your big win years ago, consider it done. I have news for you. No one at UCLA cares.

I actually normally am cool with BYU, but this crap I am seeing from you guys here and elsewhere really makes me hope the Bruins put it on you.

I don't think that will happen, though. I expect a tough, physical battle and am figuring it will be close.

No chest thumping over that at all, I just have no clue how your boy Bug takes a brawl started by the other team and a two game sample this season and calls BYU the trashiest team in America. I only threw that out trying to figure out what the hell his beef is with BYU.

UCLA is the more talented team, so BYU needs breaks to stay with them, it will be a physical game and hopefully the Cougs can hang with UCLA's athletes. I have no issue with UCLA, but I am going to defend a program that does things the right way, which is why as a non-LDS fan I like and respect them so much.

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #52
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Everette Golson just threw one hell of a block.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #53
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina looks to hold onto their #1 rating when Western Illinois comes to town this weekend. Not a school they play a lot, so no idea how good/bad they might be.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #54
Suicane75
Coordinator

Boston College has an offense built to score in the 40's. The 1940's.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #55
bob
College Starter

Going back to pulling for Notre Dame this weekend. The Georgia Tech fanbase has been incredibly annoying this week. You'd think they were coming off back-to-back national title years. Plus I don't trust Paul Johnson in big games.

I went to school there and i am a fan, but never have i really enjoyed the rest of the fanbase. I wont take my kids to any big game there. Ive seen too many cases of adult fans screaming at young kids wearing clothes for the opposing team.

That being said, Tech should win. Anyone with five starters out should be hurting.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #56
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hey Mauk.. if you get that much time to throw.. WTF are you doing making THAT throw?

This team has injuries.. but pretty soon.. we are going to get crushed by better teams.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #57
MrBug708
Head Coach

But hey, you're the class of the division!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #58
Galaril
Pro Starter

Geez in the MSU you game AFA was putting a good fight per usual until the f'ing refs called 100 yards in bullshit pass interference , chop blocks( which were actually cut blocks mostly) and bs personal fouls. Refs that don't see AF often and then see them in a big game like this hanging with a large program like MSU just assume they must be cheating if they are close. Has been the story since I was at AFA in the late 80s:-(
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #59
Logan
Head Coach

UConn 6, Mizzou 2 at the half...just like it was drawn up.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:42 PM   #60
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Geez in the MSU you game AFA was putting a good fight per usual until the f'ing refs called 100 yards in bullshit pass interference , chop blocks( which were actually cut blocks mostly) and bs personal fouls. Refs that don't see AF often and then see them in a big game like this hanging with a large program like MSU just assume they must be cheating if they are close. Has been the story since I was at AFA in the late 80s:-(

Nah, those were legit penalties.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #61
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Nah, those were legit penalties.

Respectively disagree:-)
Old 09-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #62
Galaril
Pro Starter

Man now that they got rid of Holtz they need to follow that up with Mark Mays who the hell decided he was someone we need to listen to for post game analysis I have no idea.

Last edited by Galaril : 09-19-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #63
Suicane75
Coordinator

Now that I can agree with you on.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #64
bob
College Starter

Didn't see the plays in question, but I think GT and Navy fans would also complain about refs miss calling chop blocks vs cut blocks. I wonder if refs assigned to certain games / teams have to go through any sort of special training due to those offenses. Don't we have a ref onboard here?
Old 09-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #65
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Now that I can agree with you on.

Haha.. Yeah he is an unbearable arrogant blowhard.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:09 PM   #66
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Didn't see the plays in question, but I think GT and Navy fans would also complain about refs miss calling chop blocks vs cut blocks. I wonder if refs assigned to certain games / teams have to go through any sort of special training due to those offenses. Don't we have a ref onboard here?

Yes we do but I am not sure if he is college or pros. I do have to be fair now that
The game is 35-7. I think about half of the 120 yards in penalties were bs . I saw at least one play was a chop block to be fair. So, when you are a team with fast but 270 pound lineman playing these schools that but there recruits what else are you going to do.... I would say screw scheduling with them. AFA unlike other small schools does,not really benefit from scheduling big schools in the end. They are never going to be in the playoff thing and so why waste there time. I personally would like to see the service academies drop to the FCS where they could be extremely competitive .
Old 09-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #67
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Haha.. Yeah he is an unbearable arrogant blowhard.

I hate Mark Mays with a passion. He is an elitist wanna be prick that has nothing positive to say on AFA, Navy, Army, BYU, almost any small school and when the small schools win, he harps on the other team but never praises the team that won.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:23 PM   #68
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I hate Mark Mays with a passion. He is an elitist wanna be prick that has nothing positive to say on AFA, Navy, Army, BYU, almost any small school and when the small schools win, he harps on the other team but never praises the team that won.

Ding Mac you get a helmet sticker my friend since you perfect nailed the guy. I literally wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire AND holding a bucket of gasoline!
Old 09-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #69
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
personally would like to see the service academies drop to the FCS where they could be extremely competitive .

Just looking at schedules & whatnot, it really might not be that much of a difference if AF dropped down to the Big Sky conference. Attendance could fall by half but that'd leave them in the top 15-20 of attendance for I-AA.

Navy wouldn't be a bad fit in the Patriot, not sure whether it would work all that well for Army conference wise if they dropped though.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #70
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Going back to pulling for Notre Dame this weekend. The Georgia Tech fanbase has been incredibly annoying this week.

Given the size of the fanbase, how bad could it actually have been?

*yes, after 40+ years of being part of said group, I think I'm entitled to crack that joke.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:44 PM   #71
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Screw it, I'll trollapost

I'm so old I remember the good old days when college football was primarily an afternoon sport.

There's no legitimate reason (afaic) for Tennessee-Western Carolina to be playing a 6pm game. Yeah yeah, I know, SEC Network, TV, blah blah blah.
Don't care.

And the ACC schedule might be even wonkier today to my eyes.

Played 1x Thurs, 1x Fri, 4x early Sat, 4x late sat, 2x Sat nite. A couple of the 330 games make sense to feature, I can get that. But NCSU-JMU at night? C'mon.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:01 PM   #72
tarcone
Coordinator

If Missouri is a contender for the SEC East, that is one weak division.

And I question that call for a fake FG by UConn.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:06 PM   #73
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

OMG, I didn't realize that Sheriffs was starting for UConn. I know that kid (well, his family).

He played for my son's school before transferring to a better situation at a public school up the road (no animosity there, it was the right call in every respect IMO)

Feeling a bit gutted for him right now, horrible play call at the end afaic.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #74
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Given the size of the fanbase, how bad could it actually have been?

*yes, after 40+ years of being part of said group, I think I'm entitled to crack that joke.

True enough, but given the neighborhood I live in and the industry I'm in, I'm around a ton... again, including myself.

I didn't listen to any sports talk radio this week though. I'm sure they were too busy talking about UGA's run to the title to even notice Tech had a big game.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #75
bob
College Starter

On another state of Georgia note, how did Georgia St. end up playing at Oregon?

Against Alabama made some sense due to proximity and Bill Curry. But Oregon?
Old 09-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #76
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
On another state of Georgia note, how did Georgia St. end up playing at Oregon?

$

With exposure secondary I imagine.

Gotta take both where you can get 'em.

edit to add:
$900k to GaState for being the hapless victim
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/inde...ig_payout.html

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-19-2015 at 02:27 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #77
tarcone
Coordinator

Is it 7 yet? Excited for Iowa/Pitt. Should be a good one.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #78
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Tell me again, why is Cardale Jones a projected top 5 pick?

edit: OSU will come back and beat NIU, but they look very complacent so far this year. They aren't good enough to go undefeated at this rate.

Last edited by JPhillips : 09-19-2015 at 03:26 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #79
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hmm. Walkin the the door and ok, 14-0, Auburn throws an interception. First impression: Auburn really doesn't deserve the 18 ranking. What I expect will happen - LSU will control the game, Auburn will score enough points at the end to make it look like things were competitive, Auburn won't really drop because they were playing at LSU. (Could well be the script for the Ole Miss/Bama game, for that matter.)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 09-19-2015 at 03:26 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #80
bob
College Starter

As a fan of both teams, I've been monitoring both ND and GT's fan forums. I'd argue that at least over the last 15 years, these are two of the most pessimistic fan bases out there. ND fans are happy about the start, but still cautious. GT fans are in "the house is on fire" mode.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #81
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As a fan of both teams, I've been monitoring both ND and GT's fan forums. I'd argue that at least over the last 15 years, these are two of the most pessimistic fan bases out there. ND fans are happy about the start, but still cautious. GT fans are in "the house is on fire" mode.

Thus far I've limited myself to simply wondering if GT is getting exposed by a team that's rather deep into their depth chart.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #82
bob
College Starter

When GT scored it went back to "it just took us time to exert our dominance"... ND fans pretty much stayed.

Curious what will happen now that ND scored again.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #83
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Auburn won't really drop because they were playing at LSU.

At this rate, I disagree. They not only appear overmatched, they look almost completely lost.

This team should not be this bad, not on paper. That makes me wonder exactly wth is suddenly going there ... and while LSU does seem to be better than I expected this year, I think things could get very warm very quickly on The Plains.

6-6, or even 7-5, won't be taken lightly I don't think, but that's where they could be headed.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:24 PM   #84
Logan
Head Coach

Awful celebration injury for ND.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:25 PM   #85
bob
College Starter

I have always hated that jumping celebration thing. I think a UGA WR tore his ACL the same way a few years ago.

Also hate that NBC didn't immediately change the camera once you could hear him.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:31 PM   #86
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have always hated that jumping celebration thing. I think a UGA WR tore his ACL the same way a few years ago.

Also hate that NBC didn't immediately change the camera once you could hear him.

I didn't see the incident but a little Googling points out that the same kid torn an ACL vs Louisville last year during an interception return. (Not sure whether it's the same leg or the other one)
Old 09-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #87
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Congrats to Georgia State, I believe the 28 points they scored today is the most they've ever to put up against a power five opponent.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #88
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
At this rate, I disagree. They not only appear overmatched, they look almost completely lost.

This team should not be this bad, not on paper. That makes me wonder exactly wth is suddenly going there ... and while LSU does seem to be better than I expected this year, I think things could get very warm very quickly on The Plains.

6-6, or even 7-5, won't be taken lightly I don't think, but that's where they could be headed.

Yeah, at this rate certainly. LSU is actually finishing drives rather than letting them hang around.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #89
tarcone
Coordinator

I would say Auburn has been vastly overratedted. And I put myself in that boat as well.

Nebby getting thumped by Miami. That is one lost program.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #90
tarcone
Coordinator

Ohio St. kid just hurdled a tackler. The tackler would have hit him in the waist. Just an amazing athletic move.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #91
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I still loathe LSU but good grief, this is a beatdown and Fournette is undeniably impressive.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #92
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

edit: OSU will come back and beat NIU, but they look very complacent so far this year. They aren't good enough to go undefeated at this rate.

The knock against Jones the last few years was his complacency and lack of quality practice habits. That was a big reason Miller and then Barrett beat him out last year.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #93
Suicane75
Coordinator

Not that it would have mattered, but there was just a pretty clear fumble in the ND game that the refs, announcers and even GT coaches just sort of ignored.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:09 PM   #94
tarcone
Coordinator

How long does Spurrier last?

Old 09-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #95
bob
College Starter

I lot closer than it should have been due to a garbage TD + onside kick + garbage TD, but ND wins. Should be interesting to see how thin-skinned CPJ reacts.

GT fans are blaming the refs on the forums I've seen.

Why I hate being a Tech fan.

But go Irish.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #96
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

BUGA
Old 09-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #97
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Should be interesting to see how thin-skinned CPJ reacts.

Golly, that's such an unpredictable thing.
Uh huh, riiiiiight

Is what it is: they got exposed as pretenders. Can't say I'm overly shocked. Could still actually win the ACC, just not sure that means a helluva lot. Conference looks to be back to where it's been for a number of years, there may not be a single consistently very good team in the whole lot. (i.e. several that can look very good in spurts, but not actually BE "very good")
Old 09-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #98
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well.. we won... but our offense is horrendous. Our defense is going to get so worn out, eventually they will get hammered.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #99
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure that Spurrier gets past this season even if they were to somehow upset Clemson. Kind of sadly, I'm not sure there's any reason for him to be retained beyond that point either.

edit to add: 7-6 last year wasn't great but looking at their schedule just now, this is a team that could finish as bad as 2-10 (only Citadel looks like a sure win for them), with 4-8 probably the ceiling. Barring a collapse by an opponent, they look to have at least a chance to beat UCF (presumably) and Vandy, they'll be underdogs against everyone else.

Not sure even the ol' ball coach survives 7-6 to 4-8

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-19-2015 at 07:23 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #100
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Ohio State looks like 2014 Florida State. Those guys have their title, and are going to coast to their draft slots.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote