Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #51
bhlloy
Coordinator

Every time I see them Tara Lipinski and JohnnyWeir look more and more like they walked off the Hunger Games set right before filming.

bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #52
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The women's USA Curling team is really struggling. That's about the enxtent of my coverage watching this year.

Curling was interesting to me because I think it was first up (?) but other things have earned my interest.

I did see a quick segment on the pillow that was shaped like a curling rock which I thought was pretty cool.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #53
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Every time I see them Tara Lipinski and JohnnyWeir look more and more like they walked off the Hunger Games set right before filming.

Yeah, I could do without Weir and his hair-do's.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #54
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Had no idea how many people still really get into the Olympics, I've been talking to a few folks who have been talking about it and I just didn't realize. It was must-see TV in the era of a few channels, but for whatever reason now -- maybe it's NBC coverage -- I just don't care as much.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #55
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I don't understand why they don't have their own TV show. It may burn out quickly, but I think there's a lot of money to be made with them and the right vehicle.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:11 PM   #56
Edward64
Head Coach

Holy crap, its been 16 years since Apollo Ono !!
Old 02-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #57
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Had no idea how many people still really get into the Olympics, I've been talking to a few folks who have been talking about it and I just didn't realize. It was must-see TV in the era of a few channels, but for whatever reason now -- maybe it's NBC coverage -- I just don't care as much.

I'm right there with you. The only times I really have sat and watched is when its been on the TV at the bar. At home I may watch for a few minutes and then channel surf on.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #58
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Has anyone tried the VR options that I keep seeing advertised?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:03 PM   #59
Thomkal
Head Coach

Nice comeback for Nathan Chen (he would have won the gold medal 4 years ago with that score), but too far back to make the podium.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:31 AM   #60
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh. my. Goodness.

The leader was already starting to give post race interviews, when out of absolutely NOWHERE, Ester Ledecka comes down to win the women's skiing Super-G by .01.

Her previous best this season in the World Cup? 19th. (she had a 7th place last year in the downhill)

Oh, and the fact is, she was racing on borrowed skis, because she's really here for the SNOWBOARDING EVENTS next week.

And a big oopsie to NBC, who had already anointed the gold medalist, but then again, who could've seen this coming

Last edited by SirFozzie : 02-17-2018 at 12:38 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:55 AM   #61
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how Lindsay Vonn had come outside the medals in two events today, because NBC had convinced me the Austrian had won the gold, and then three hours later I'm hearing about some Czech woman who beat Vonn.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:58 AM   #62
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Has anyone tried the VR options that I keep seeing advertised?

I tired with Samsung Gear VR and while I could get into the app, I couldn't really get any events to run. Any of the saved videos were just tours of the tracks and not events. I also found navigating to be really clunky.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:14 AM   #63
Logan
Head Coach

I know there was some discussion about how NBC chooses to select which events to show, but what I don't understand is why they aren't making use of even some of their additional channel availability. 10am eastern on a Saturday and only one channel showing stuff? Confusing.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #64
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Oh. my. Goodness.

The leader was already starting to give post race interviews, when out of absolutely NOWHERE, Ester Ledecka comes down to win the women's skiing Super-G by .01.

Her previous best this season in the World Cup? 19th. (she had a 7th place last year in the downhill)

Oh, and the fact is, she was racing on borrowed skis, because she's really here for the SNOWBOARDING EVENTS next week.

And a big oopsie to NBC, who had already anointed the gold medalist, but then again, who could've seen this coming

No matter how surprising, the iron clad rule is to wait till No 30 before calling it ... And yeah, that run was awesome. Friend of mine who is knowledgeable on this (coaching the speed disciplines at state-level and being an avid Snowboarder as well) said it's absolutely insane to even be World-Circuit level in both sports, much less win in both (won 2 World Championships as a Snowboarder).
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #65
AlexB
Pro Starter

Team GB just won their first gold today, Lizzie Yarnold retained her skeleton title.

I didn’t realise the issues she had since Sochi, which included taking a year out to combat severe exhaustion and then subsequently having to overcome severe motion sickness!

All of these people have to overcome tough situations, but I’m guessing motion sickness and skeleton is not a common combination!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Let the hilarity ensue

Report: Russian curling medalist at Games suspected of doping
Old 02-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #67
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

hahahahaha!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #68
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post

Olympics Ratings Fall To 2018 Low On 2nd Saturday; Steady With Sochi 2014 | Deadline

I looked up the ratings and so far it seems they are down 9% from 2014.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #69
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well I guess Adam Rippon didn't get that NBC job after all...

https://www.tmj4.com/sports/olympics...out-of-nbc-gig
Old 02-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #70
Edward64
Head Coach

Scott Moir & Tessa Virtue definitely deserved to win. They were "hot".

I'm glad the Shibutani's placed also but TBH, I think "siblings" are at a disadvantage vs "couples".
Old 02-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #71
bhlloy
Coordinator

I know complaining about NBC coverage is completely pointless at this point, but they are showing the same live feed of ice dancing on both NBC Sports and NBC, while the US hockey game is relegated to CNBC.

How does that make any sense? Trying to drive people to CNBC? I’d have though they are far more at risk of losing viewers who either don’t have access to that channel as part of their package or who don’t realize the game is on after flipping between the two usual channels, but maybe I’m missing something. Ping JiMGA?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:40 PM   #72
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I know complaining about NBC coverage is completely pointless at this point, but they are showing the same live feed of ice dancing on both NBC Sports and NBC, while the US hockey game is relegated to CNBC.

How does that make any sense? Trying to drive people to CNBC? I’d have though they are far more at risk of losing viewers who either don’t have access to that channel as part of their package or who don’t realize the game is on after flipping between the two usual channels, but maybe I’m missing something. Ping JiMGA?

It’s a small comfort that while your accessibility to media is vastly superior to ours we somehow have managed to deliver decent Olympic coverage while you are stuck with hot garbage.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:55 PM   #73
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Meet the Olympic Athletes Who Probably Don't Belong There | Lifestyle

The Oakland freestyle ski lady competing from Hungary was brutally hilariously bad.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:57 PM   #74
stevew
Hall Of Famer

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #75
Thomkal
Head Coach

nice 3 must win games by US curling to get into the medal rounds as the 3rd seed vs Canada.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #76
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Last numbers I see (give or take last year), CNBC had about 10m more homes than NBCS. So putting the hockey game there would be a boost, not a demotion.

Plus, a lot more people know CNBC exists/where to find it than know NBCS exists (even during the Olympics). So as long as they've done a good job of promoting that they're using CNBC for Olympic coverage, this was to the benefit of the hockey game.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #77
bhlloy
Coordinator

Interesting. Pretty surprising, but I suspect again I’m guilty of thinking as a sports fan rather than their actual target audience.

Hanks for the insight.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #78
Suicane75
Coordinator

Seems weird that the ladies gold medal hockey game is at 11pm est. Figured 8 or 9 would have been better all around.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #79
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
yep, ladies gold medal game doesn't start for 2 hours

if you think that's late, then wait til it goes to OT.

Enjoy.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #80
whomario
Pro Starter

The Men's hockey tournament is so damn pointless. I wonder if at any point there will be debate of cancling it alltogether (maybe just as a pressure tool), because i can't imagine many other sports being made/stay olympic if the not only a few are missing but essentially some countries are missing like 45 of their best 50 players.

And that's coming from a German who just saw his NT beat Sweden to reach the Semifinals for the first time ever. I mean, it's nice and all but doesn't really feel like an accomplishment when they miss 50 roster players (Germany like half a dozen)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 02-21-2018 at 08:25 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #81
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The live times are killing me this year.

Saw what must have been a repay of the women's team cross country this afternoon. What a great finish!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:12 PM   #82
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
nice 3 must win games by US curling to get into the medal rounds as the 3rd seed vs Canada.

Shuster was making some shots in the past few games. Think he won 4 straight, including over 2 medal round teams, just to make the medal round.

Ladies crapped out, basically thanks to one bad shot in a couple of matches.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:25 PM   #83
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
The Men's hockey tournament is so damn pointless. I wonder if at any point there will be debate of cancling it alltogether (maybe just as a pressure tool), because i can't imagine many other sports being made/stay olympic if the not only a few are missing but essentially some countries are missing like 45 of their best 50 players.

And that's coming from a German who just saw his NT beat Sweden to reach the Semifinals for the first time ever. I mean, it's nice and all but doesn't really feel like an accomplishment when they miss 50 roster players (Germany like half a dozen)

Just more negativity towards the NHL. You might think they would want to bring in fans to their sport rather than turn them away. This is why the NHL has been dying a slow death.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:55 PM   #84
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Just more negativity towards the NHL. You might think they would want to bring in fans to their sport rather than turn them away. This is why the NHL has been dying a slow death.

Go back to the college kids like it used to be.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:12 PM   #85
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I far prefer having the NHL players where they belong: playing in the NHL.

Zero interest in having that season disrupted for something of this sort. (Same holds true with every major sport afaic).
Old 02-21-2018, 11:20 PM   #86
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I far prefer having the NHL players where they belong: playing in the NHL.

Zero interest in having that season disrupted for something of this sort. (Same holds true with every major sport afaic).

As if you would even notice. Do you pay any attention to the NHL?

I dont care about the NHL unless maybe the Wild make their once a decade playoff run. Team USA vs Team Canada makes for some great hockey. Actually, watching numerous countries against each other make for some great hockey. Its like watching the best in the world against each other where they actually care to win.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:21 PM   #87
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Go back to the college kids like it used to be.

The USA college kids against the pros of Russia? I guess it would still be better than whatever this is.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:33 PM   #88
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As if you would even notice. Do you pay any attention to the NHL?

Excuse me?

Finally gave in & joined my early adopter kid in taking the Preds after the Thrashers bailed (#fuckwpg4life), though Vegas is such a great empty cupboard that it's hard for me to not be a fan there as well.

I had a fucking THN subscription delivered to Monticello, GA for cryin' out loud.

My hockey fan roots go back to sneaking a goddamned transistor radio to bed to listen to Jiggs McDonald call a team coached by Boom Boom Geoffrion.

I've seen more pro hockey (NHL + ECHL + SPHL) in person over the last two decades than all other pro sports combined, all in person college sports combined as well.

Quote:
I dont care about the NHL unless maybe the Wild make their once a decade playoff run.

Kinda makes you asking me that question a bit asinine, now doesn't it?
Old 02-21-2018, 11:35 PM   #89
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Kinda makes you asking me that question a bit asinine, now doesn't it?

Not really. I dont know how you spend your free time. I take it back I had no idea you were a huge hockey guy. I dont follow the hockey threads on here.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:55 PM   #90
Suicane75
Coordinator

I have no idea how that's not a penalty. She destroyed her.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:17 AM   #91
kingfc22
Head Coach

Some fantastic penalty shot moves.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:29 AM   #92
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Was that the triple deke from the mighty Ducks?
Old 02-22-2018, 07:17 AM   #93
Jas_lov
College Starter

Shuster on his game again today. US up 2 on Canada in the 9th end!
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #94
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

USA wins!

So, we've beaten Canada in women's hockey and curling in the space of 12 hours.

By subsection 104.c.2.b of the Olympic Code, I think this means we can trade heads of state.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #95
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
By subsection 104.c.2.b of the Olympic Code, I think this means we can trade heads of state.

What, Canada loses so they get first draft pick?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #96
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
USA wins!

I heard Jon finds JT dreamy
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:04 PM   #97
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I heard Jon finds JT dreamy

I'll just say that I actually just had a facial tic appear for a moment.

Dat boy makes me seriously wonder if we've identified Tide pod Patient Zero.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #98
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
USA wins!

Too late the President has tweeted about it (just the hockey of course) now, so the expiration date on this offer has passed.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #99
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
oops

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ic-doping-test
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:46 PM   #100
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The USA - Canada women's final was better than most Blues games are to watch lately.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote