Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2003, 07:59 PM   #51
sabotai
General Manager

Guess I'm going back to the books and play money for awhile. Tried my hand at some real money play tonight and lost $21 over the course of 2 1/2 hours at the $0.5/$1 table.

I was up $8.50 at one point, then I just lost it. Five times I got an AK and once it was suited. I call to see the flop and everytime, nothing. I watched for over 40 minutes pots being taken on pairs and two pairs. So when I get a straight, of course someone has a hand to beat it. I got dealt a pair ONCE in 2 1/2 hours. And on the one hand, I won a $10 pot.

Maybe it was a string of really bad deals. But I do know I made at least several big mistakes that I will not make again.

And for now one, I follow Tred's rule. Once I go down $10 on the night, I'm gone.

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 08:13 PM   #52
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

One amateur mistake I tend to find is overplaying of suited cards.

I believe these are the stats on such hands.

Preflop, you have a 3% chance that the 5 community cards will complete your flush when you have suited cards. If you have 4 to the flush postflop, there's a 45% chance you'll hit it on the turn/river.

I've noticed people seem to overplay suited cards.

(For example, one time I had KK, and someone else had AQx or AKx or something like that, and we capped the betting preflop. There was one other caller along the way - a guy with A3s. After 2 threes hit on the flop, and the hand was over, I asked him why he would possibly call with Ace-Three.

His answer...

"Ace-Three _Suited_")

WTF...

~rpi-fan
Old 07-01-2003, 08:37 PM   #53
TredWel
High School Varsity

sabotai: Yes, strings of bad luck can and do happen. That's why I implemented the $10 rule. It just becomes so frustrating that you just want to recoup your losses quickly, which isn't how to play poker. It's better to step away from the table, gather your thoughts, and come back to the table with a clean slate.

Easy for me to say - I've only hit that barrier once.

But, as long as you were learning some things about the experience, then consider it money well spent. You'll win it back soon enough, I'm sure.

RPI-Fan: Now that's funny. He must be an Omaha player, where any suited ace is an almost-always playable hand.

Yes, I've noticed a lot of times that when players show down with low crap, it's almost always suited crap.

Relax your starting hand quality a little for suited hands (I usually play things as weak as KTs under the gun, while just throwing away unsuited kings), but don't completely throw away the opening requirements.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:39 PM   #54
sabotai
General Manager

Yeah, I don't try to let suited cards blidn me. I know making the flsuh on the flop is low.

The not-so-funny thing is, twice I folded preflop with suited cards (Once it was a K2s and another was 62d). Twice I would have gotten the flush on the flop. Sometimes when you do the right thing, it sucks.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:42 PM   #55
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

sabotai: I know you can't really do this at ring games when you should be observing etc., but when I play the freeroll multitable, I literally minimize the window after I fold. I have _no_ interest in seeing what sort of cards hit, and what other people play with.

I often find myself making bad calls later on based on that info, so I just don't expose myself to it.

I try and immediately block out any cards that I folded preflop, and that's probably something that might be useful for you to do.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:44 PM   #56
sabotai
General Manager

dola,

You want to hear a couple of funny stories. The $21 I spent for the 2 1/2 hours of comedy was worth it.

One person betted, not checked, not called, but bet-raised all the way to a showdown....with nothing. With just an Ace. No hand whatsoever. All I can think of is the person was trying to bluff. But that's just stupid.

I also saw someone throw away $75 easy. In fact, I was in a showdown with the guy. I had an 8-Q straight. The only way he could have beat me was if he had KJ. But since I knew how this guy played, and how he was just giving out money, I took him on and won. One of the very few pots I won. (I won 3. One for $10. One for $7. And one for $1.50...yes a $1.50 pot. Lots of checking in that hand. )

The rest were either bad mistakes or just horrible luck.

EDIT: Definatly noted RPI. In fact, for a lot of the night, I was chatting in IRC. When I was doing that, I was either winning or hovering on even. It was when I started paying attnetion that I started losing. So maybe for the time being, I just ignore the game like you suggest.

Last edited by sabotai : 07-01-2003 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:54 PM   #57
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

At the lowest limits, that's probably not a bad idea.

Otherwise, your play is likely to get too 'fancy', and you'll make silly mistakes (I often have a problem with this in live games).
Old 07-01-2003, 09:02 PM   #58
TredWel
High School Varsity

I often browse FOFC while waiting for my next hand when I fold pre-flop. I can still tell who's the calling station and who's tight, but it might take me longer to make that tell. Just sitting there and watching cards falland seeing what I could have made is just too boring for me to sit for.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:03 PM   #59
TredWel
High School Varsity

Back to the tables after my big payout of yesterday.

Hand #10: Absolutely no hands played before this point, I am in the big blind with Qh 6s. I am not raised this time, in fact only two limpers come into the pot this time. Earlier hands were punctuated with a maniac player, calling and raising with anything. God bless them, they make my life so much richer.

The flop is of little help, with the Ad 9s 6h coming off the deck. I check bottom pair, and the other two limpers check as well.

The turn is the Qc, now giving me two pair. I bet here, and my action scares both players away. Maybe I should have checked here, letting them bluff at the river. I still win $2.50.

Hand #21: Normally, I just skip over hands here when I’m in the Big Blind with garbage, see a free flop that misses me, and fold. This is not the case. In the previous 20 hands, I have played once, and I was in the big blind without a quality hand at the time. You just run cold sometimes.

This hand is my first good hand of the session, Ks Qs in the small blind. There are five limpers before me. I put in the last quarter, and the BB checks.

The flop is pretty bad, the 9s 7h 5d. I check, and the BB bets. There are four callers after him, and I’m last to act here. With my backdoor spade draw and two overcards, I have a little better than 4-1 odds here of improving my hand. I’m getting 9-1 odds on my money. I knew I was getting good odds when I called, but I didn’t think I was getting as good odds as this. I’m glad I called, or else I would have had some nice tap dancing to do here to explain how I could have missed this proposition.

The turn rewards the call, as the Kh hits the table. I check again, deciding to see what the rest of the table is going to do before I act. There’s one bettor, not the BB here. One person calls before me, and I call as well.

The river is the 3h, hitting the backdoor heart flush. I check again, and the turn bettor bets again. The other player folds, and I’m left with a decision. I’m definitely going to call, the question is, should I raise? I decide not to. There’s the flush and plenty of straight draws. All I have is top pair. While that may win, it’s definitely not a must win. He bet the turn as well, so I don’t think he’s bluffing. I call, and he turns up Kd 6c. My Queen beats his 6, and I collect $11.

Hand #25: Qs 8s is the hand in late position. There are four limpers before me, and because I’m in good position with many callers, I limp as well. If I was earlier or fewer people came into the pot, I would fold. The SB and BB make it six others to go against.

The flop is the Jh 5c 2s. There’s a bet in the middle, and I raise here. I’ve got a decent draw, and I’m going to have to see the river in order to make sure that my draw is secured. I want a free card on the turn, so I raise. There are three callers of my raise.

The turn is the Ks. So far, so good. Even better, everybody checks to me, and I check as well.

The river is the 3h. No dice. There’s an early bet, and I fold, my hand not worth anything.

Hand #30: Big Blind time again. I get Qs 9c, and only two limpers are in this pot.

The flop is the blasé Ah Ts 4c. Nobody bets at it.

The turn is the Qh. I’m checking here, learning my lesson after Hand #10. Nobody bets here either.

The river is the 9c. Now somebody should have been hit somewhere along the line, but I’ve got two pair. I check, intending to raise whatever bet comes down. Instead, nobody bets for the third time. My two pair wins the King’s ransom of $1.50.

Hand #31: The next hand, I put up the small blind, and catch Qc Tc. Again, there are two limpers before me, and I call the blind. The big blind completes.

The flop is As Jh 4s, giving me a straight draw. I check, as well as everybody else.

The turn is the Kd, giving me the nuts. I bet here, and I get raised! This is an interesting predicament, but I’ve got the best possible hand. Only an A, K, J, 4 or a spade can beat me if it comes on the river, meaning I’m about a 50/50 shot at keeping the nuts safe. I re-raise, and two people have the fortitude to call $3.

The turn is the Th. I still have the nuts, though anybody with a queen has that claim to fame as well. I bet out, and only get called by the two players left. I show my queen, and nobody else can match it. I cull $13.50 for that performance.

The table gets quite shorthanded very quickly, so much so that I am under the gun in a fourhanded game four hands after that hand. I get out quickly, not wanting to be blinded in an extremely short handed game.

While my night was not as profitable as my last foray, I’m still up $16.25 for the half-hour’s work. Not bad at all.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:13 PM   #60
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
I was up $8.50 at one point, then I just lost it. Five times I got an AK and once it was suited. I call to see the flop and everytime, nothing. I watched for over 40 minutes pots being taken on pairs and two pairs. So when I get a straight, of course someone has a hand to beat it. I got dealt a pair ONCE in 2 1/2 hours. And on the one hand, I won a $10 pot.

What was your position on the table when you called AK?

A good strategy with good holecard, and you have the second best set of Holecards, is to bet pre-flop. You dont want guys limping in on the pot to see a flop and get lucky. You want to try and drive out all the weak hands to improve your chances of winning. The best position to do this from of course, is when your sitting on the button. Just sit back and take their money.

Of course it is possible to just not have the cards fall your way. But I tend to think of poker as a marathon rather then a sprint.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:27 PM   #61
sabotai
General Manager

I had to do it. I just had to try my luck at a different table. I knew I should just give it up for the night and not risk more bad luck....but the hell with it.

And after about 20 minutes, I win back $8.75 so now I'm 12.25 in the hole overall.

Just as I had bad luck, I get good luck. I get dealt QQ on my first hand and win the pot with Queens and Fives.

My second I get delt a T9. I ended up winning the pot and splitting it with someone else. We both had Nines full of Threes.

I just fold until the bind gets to me again and I quit. So atleast I got some of it back.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:33 PM   #62
sabotai
General Manager

Tred, a couple of questions I hope you don't mind. Remember, I'm still pretty much a n00b, so some of them may seem silly to you.

"The flop is pretty bad, the 9s 7h 5d. I check, and the BB bets. There are four callers after him, and I’m last to act here. With my backdoor spade draw and two overcards, I have a little better than 4-1 odds here of improving my hand. I’m getting 9-1 odds on my money."

I'm wondering how you came up with these odds. I could probably go look it up but basically what I'm asking is how do you determine what the odds are quickly? How quickly do you usually take to figure odds?

"The flop is the Jh 5c 2s. There’s a bet in the middle, and I raise here. I’ve got a decent draw, and I’m going to have to see the river in order to make sure that my draw is secured. I want a free card on the turn, so I raise. There are three callers of my raise."

You had a Qs and an 8s. I'm wondering why you raised here. How is this a decent draw?
Old 07-01-2003, 09:35 PM   #63
sabotai
General Manager

"What was your position on the table when you called AK?"

I have the logs from Party Poker. I don't remember where I was all the times. I think once came when I was on the big blind.

But anyway. I'll start my own thread soon and stop taking over Tred's. But unlike his thread where most people are probably learning, my thread will hopefully be people teaching me.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:11 PM   #64
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

With regard to that raise...

He raised on the flop, for $.50, and thus on the turn everyone checked to him, expecting a raise. When he checks, he sees the river card for free.

So he got two cards for $.50, where he otherwise would have gotten two cards for $1.50 in all likelihood.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:24 PM   #65
TredWel
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
Tred, a couple of questions I hope you don't mind. Remember, I'm still pretty much a n00b, so some of them may seem silly to you.

Not at all. These questions are perfectly legitimate, and I'm happy to answer them. The answers (especially to the second question) are not exactly intuitive.

Quote:
I'm wondering how you came up with these odds. I could probably go look it up but basically what I'm asking is how do you determine what the odds are quickly? How quickly do you usually take to figure odds?

I usually don't figure out the odds immediately at the table - I just knew from previous experience that two overcards on an otherwise worthless flop is a good drawing hand.

To determine the odds after the fact, I used this useful little guide. After the flop, I had a nonpaired hand drawing to a higher pair (11 1/2 outs), and a 3-flush drawing for a flush (1 1/2 outs). 13 outs out of 47 cards, and I approximated that to 4-1 for easy comprehension.

Quote:
You had a Qs and an 8s. I'm wondering why you raised here. How is this a decent draw?

J52 rainbow is not exactly a powerhouse flop. I only had a single overcard and a backdoor flush draw, which was just barely good enough to call the bet and stay in the hand.

Here's the problem. If a person is willing to bet on the flop, he's most likely going to bet on the turn as well. If I want to see the river (and I would in case I make my spade flush, or need an extra chance to grab a queen), I'd end up paying $1.50.

Now I'm in last position here, so I'm last to act on any betting round. What I do here is raise on the flop, letting whoever who wants to call me. Now that they're scared of my hand, they might just check to me on the turn, when I can then check and see the river for no additional cost. This strategy only costs me two bets on the flop, before the cost of calling doubles. I only pay $1 to see the river, saving me money on this borderline draw.

This tactic doesn't always work. There's the risk of being reraised on the flop or a person still betting on the turn, but it's a good tactic to try out when the time is right.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:27 PM   #66
Radii
Head Coach

I have to brag just a little, playing a no limit $25 table at party last night, I ended up winning about $120. I slowly worked my way up to about $80, and then it got very short handed. I consider myself to be an above average short handed no limit player, at least at these stakes. Plus the two guys I was up against had about $25 each, and I had an $80 stack, a huge advantage. I ended up cleaning them both out and the table broke up. I was rather pleased with myself.

Tonight I sat at another $25 NL table and walked away with $90 after about 3 hours. The best thing about that table was that there was one big stack of $190 at the table when I got there. That guy busted out and lost all $190 in about 2 hours.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that this is the most profitable way to play online. Of course, you can lose $25 on one hand if you make a mistake, and I have done that 2 or 3 times, but I'm up about $250 in the last 2 weeks playing off and on.

Ok Tred, you can have your thread back I'm really enjoying the reading here, keep it up!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:57 PM   #67
sabotai
General Manager

"He raised on the flop, for $.50, and thus on the turn everyone checked to him, expecting a raise. When he checks, he sees the river card for free."

"Now I'm in last position here, so I'm last to act on any betting round. What I do here is raise on the flop, letting whoever who wants to call me. Now that they're scared of my hand, they might just check to me on the turn, when I can then check and see the river for no additional cost. This strategy only costs me two bets on the flop, before the cost of calling doubles. I only pay $1 to see the river, saving me money on this borderline draw."

Ahhhhhhhh, I see. Thanks for the answers Tred and RBI. And Radii, I hate you.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:31 AM   #68
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

You know, it may just be because it's 5am, but this is really interesting. Could you give a little help on terminology for those of us not so up on the gambling scene?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 07:51 AM   #69
TredWel
High School Varsity

There's a good glossary to be found here. I think most of what I say can be found in it, but if it can't, tell me and I will be happy to define.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:23 PM   #70
TredWel
High School Varsity

I’m ready to play again, so I fill out a table with one open seat.

July 4, 1:30pm

Hand #9: I’m in the small blind here, and I get the Kd Jc to play with. Four people enter the pot before me, and I complete the blind.

The flop is garbage, 8c 7c 2d. Nobody bets out.

Fourth street is the Kh. With top pair, I want to set a trap here. I’m checking this, expecting somebody to bluff at this pot. Nobody does.

The river is a blank, the 3d. I bet out now, since I can’t rely on anybody else to do that. There’s one caller, and my kings win my first pot of the day, worth $4.50.

Hand #14: I get another nice hand here under the gun, in the Ah Jh. I open the pot for two bets, and the player two hands down makes it three bets. There are 3 calls before I play again, and I just call.

The flop is all undercards, with the Th 5d 2s hitting the table. It gets checked around.

The turn is the 9d, and again nobody bets. For such action pre-flop, nobody’s saying anything afterwards.

The river pairs the board with the 9s. The BB bets, and I can tell it’s a bluff a mile away. I think my Ace-high might be good, and I call. Two others call. The BB shows garbage, I show my Ace, the re-raiser mucks, and this player who came in out of nowhere shows a ten. He never let out to bet, and his stealth wins him the pot.

Hand #19: Ah Kh is the hand in late position. All five people before me call, and I call as well. The two blinds make it eight total people seeing the pot.

The flop is the Jd 6s 4d. The action gets checked around to me, and I’m stuck with another garbage flop. I bet out here, and get four callers.

The turn is more junk, as the 9d hits. People check to me again, and I bet again, trying to scare away low pairs. Three people call me.

Fifth street is the 6h, and there’s suddenly action. One person bets, and another raises. Now looking at possible trips, I get out now. Both bettors had a 6.

Hand #21: I’m in second position with a suited connector, the Ts 9s. UTG folds, and since the game is only 7 handed, I open with a raise. There’s only one caller, the dealer.

The flop is the Ad Jh 5h. I bet out, hoping to scare him away from the pot. He calls me.

The turn is the 5h. I bet again, he calls again.

The river is the 6h, and I don’t know what to do. If he’s got me beat, and he almost certainly does, chances are I’ve got to bet here to win the pot. I bet again. He pauses for a while, and calls my bet. He shows KQo, and wins the pot.

Yep, King-Queen offsuit. He called a hand who has raised to pot every time possible, when there are both and Ace and Jack on the board with a King-high hand. Normally, that kind of call is ill advised. Here, it wins him the pot. That’s poker, I guess.

Hand #23: In the big blind without much of a hand, just the Tc 3h. There are six limpers before me, i.e. everybody at the table, and I check.

Flop is Jc Ts 4d. I have second pair and no way to escape the hand. I check, and nobody bets at the pot.

The turn is the 4h, pairing the board. The SB bets out, and I call, not expecting him to have trips just yet. When the pot is raised, however, I can sort of guess. I have a two-outer in the case of triple fours, but I still call. Possibly I was influenced by the fact that this would be my last hand if I didn’t win this pot thanks to the $10 rule.

The river is the 7h, and I’m stuck on two pair. We all check around to the raise, who bets again. I drop out now, with no practical way of winning this pot. The raiser indeed shows a four when she picks up her pot.

So, I’m down $10 on the session, but I’m not too ashamed of my play. Maybe a little too aggressive in spots, but that’s the way to play, IMO.

I’m only left to think that if Hand #21 would have played out differently, with him folding his king high, I would have probably broken even on the afternoon.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:11 PM   #71
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Tred: I'm surprised you bet into that pot on #21. You know the people on these tables who call all along are going to showdown.

But other than that, you stayed in a tad too long a couple times. Still, not all that bad.

Just get 'em next time, tiger.

~rpi-fan
Old 07-04-2003, 02:20 PM   #72
sabotai
General Manager

Hand 9: If someone would have put down a bet with that garbage flop, whould you have folded or called? What if someone raised the bet?

Hand 21: I feel your pain.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:36 PM   #73
TredWel
High School Varsity

RPI-Fan: Yep, I made a few too many calls, and that was my downfall.

Hand 21 was an aberration. I wasn't getting any playback, and this player had proved to be a passive player in the past - he was the one who checked the top pair on Hand #14 all the way to the river. I was thinking that I would be able to scare him off on that flop, and when that didn't worked, I guess I got a little crazy.

I look back on my successes, and found that I rarely, if ever, bet on a complete bluff. Semi-bluff, yes, but not a time where I had absolutely nothing. I've learned my lesson, and that kind of play is not a winning one at this stakes level.

sabotai: Thanks, man.

If someone bet into that flop on Hand 9, I would have called. It's unlikely that somebody caught a master hand with that flop. I would expect either a small pair that I can draw to beat with my overcards or a player with four to the flush or an open-ended straight draw.

If somebody raises, then I won't know what to think. I know that my draw, while it may not be drawing dead, is not the best draw out there. If there's a raise, I would fold.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:50 PM   #74
TredWel
High School Varsity

Back to the tables to try again. They won’t get rid of me that easily.

July 4, 7:00pm

Hand #3: I get a small pocket pair on the button, the 6d 6c. Normally I don’t play these hands, but when I get five callers to me, I put in half a dollar. I can’t ignore those odds.

The flop is pretty good, the Kh 5c 3s. The action checks to me, which is a good sign. With only one overcard to worry about, and such a big disparity between top and second pair, I think that a person would have bet with a King. I therefore throw out a bet, and reduce the flock down to 3.

The turn card is the 3h. The action again checks to me. I don’t like the pairing of threes on the board, because it is possible that a 3 still lurks out there somewhere. I bet anyway, and get check-raised. If he indeed has a three, then I am reduced to a two-outer. Conceivably I should pass, but fold to a check-raise sets a dangerous precedent, especially early in a session. I call

I don’t get the joker on the river. I get the 2s. The raiser bets out, and I get out now. He indeed shows trip threes to win the pot.

Hand #16: No hands played between then and now, but that changes as I am on the button with the Ad Jd. Three people call the blind before me, and I call as well. Both blinds are in as well.

The flop is the Ks Th 4c. Nothing hit yet, but I have a decent draw. There’s a bet on my immediate right. Presuming he has top pair, I can draw and Ace or Queen in two cards to beat that hand. I have about 9-2 odds on that proposition, so I’m good enough to call.

The turn is the Jh, now adding another Jack to the list of cards I could draw. The same bettor bets, and I have 4-1 odds here, still enough to call with.

The river is the 6h, and there’s a bet and raise before me. I recognize that my pair is beat, and get out now. The winner has pocket queens. There was no king, and no flush.

Hand #18: Things are still looking grim, but immediately pick up in the big blind, as I am graced with Ah Ad . Three limpers bet before me, and I take advantage of the fact that a raise is always called before the flop at the level. I raise and squeeze another fifty cents out of three fish.

The turn is the Jd 7s 5s. I’m first to ac, and I bet. I get two people calling me.

Fourth Street is the 8c, and I’m not too concerned. I bet again, and get two more calls.

The river is the Th. I should have paused here, but I did not realize that a nine is needed for a straight. I foolishly bet again, but both players fold. “Fools and little children”. I pick up $9 for my first pot in a long while.

Hand #23: In the first seat, I pick up Js Ts. This is about the lowest hand I will open with, and as is my custom, I raise with it. A player a few seats down who has established himself as a maniac reraises me, and the BB and myself call this three-bet.

The flop is the Ah Th 4c. Second pair might be good here, as the reraiser could have anything. I check to him, and he bets out. Both BB and I call the bet.

The turn comes 9h, and the maniac bets again. He might have an ace, but I highly doubt it. We both call him.

The river is the 6c, and he bets out again. The BB drops out here, but I’m not going away. I want to see what he reraised with, and I call. He shows Ad 3c. He made it three bets with an Ace-three offsuit. He wins the pot.

Hand #24: The very next hand, I’m in the pot for a full bet before seeing my cards. Four limpers let me see the flop for free, which is a good thing – I’m not investing any more money for 5c 3c.

The flop is the Jd 4d 2h, giving me an open-ended straight draw. We check to the maniac, who predictably bets out. I have a good draw, and I call, as does one other.

The turn hits my draw – the 6c comes off. I gleefully check to the maniac, who bets right into my straight. I check-raise here, and he calls me.

The 8h comes off now, and I check. A slip of the mouse, as I obviously meant to bid. He gets a free showdown as a result, but my straight still takes the pot of $7.50

Hand #27 I’m one seat in front of the button as I pick up the ladies, Qh Qs. There are three limpers, and I raise in an attempt to buy the button. The button unfortunately decides to call. All other limpers call as well.

The flop is the As 7d 5h. The action checks to the player to my right, who bets. It’s likely he has an Ace, but he may be on a draw or have a lower pair. I call, though probably only to stay around until the next card.

The turn comes the 5c, pairing the board. A bet and raise later, and I can see I’m down to a two-outer. Not enough money is in the pot for this draw, and I fold.

Hand #33 Back with the button by my side, I get the Js 9s. There’s only one limper before me, and I just call as well with my borderline drawing hand. The small blind raises, however. The limper calls. Possibly I should fold, but I’ll call as well. I do realize I’m doing nothing but perpetrating the idea that everybody calls raises pre-flop at this level.

The flop rewards my call, as I get the Qd Jh Jc. The action checks t me, and I check me trips. SB raised pre-flop, and I expect him to fire out again soon. With reason to believe that another player will bet, I’ll check and hope for a trap.

Fourth Street is the 5c, and SB indeed bets out. The other player in this pot calls, and I raise. The SB calls the raise while the limper folds, leaving the two of us.

The river is the 4c, and SB checks to me. He might have made a club flush, but I doubt it. I bet again, and he just calls me. My trips hold up, and I win the $10 pot.

I stand up soon afterwards; party due to the fact that the game was getting short handed, and partly because my dialup connection kicked me off. I did manage to make it a winning session thanks to that last hand. I come out ahead $3, back on the right track.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:04 PM   #75
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Wow, it seemed to me like you'd won more than those $3. Guess you really are in some sort of slump. Though that last hand gets you out on a good note, and hopefully you'll carry it to your next session.

Good luck!
~rpi-fan
Old 07-05-2003, 09:32 AM   #76
TredWel
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by RPI-Fan
Wow, it seemed to me like you'd won more than those $3. Guess you really are in some sort of slump. Though that last hand gets you out on a good note, and hopefully you'll carry it to your next session.

Thanks. I don't know if that session could be attributed to a lump entirely. I think the table was harder than normal, with a lot more raising happening than is normally found at that level. I was raised out of most of my blinds, for example.

Still, I will perservere. Thanks for your support.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:45 PM   #77
grim
n00b

Long time FOF forum lurker here. Since my interest in internet poker was inspired by this thread, and it has been successful so far, I'll share my story with you.

I had played some free hold'em on AOL a few years ago, so I knew a little about the game. But that was about it. After reading about partypoker here, I decided to give it a try. I played in quite a few free money no-limit hold'em tourneys there and had some success. I kept track of my results and of the last 30 that I played in I had finished in the top three 19 times, including 10 wins. I felt I was ready to play for real money.

So this past Sunday I got up the courage to throw $75 away. First try was a $5 no limit tourney, which I won. Probably the worst thing that happened to me. After that I went out early or midpack in the next six tourneys that I played in. Didn't win a damn thing.

So by Tuesday I'm down to about $60. I decided to try the ring games, so I picked a $25 NL table because I was most familiar with NL. Won a couple of $40-50 pots, which was nice, but my heart couldn't handle losing $25 bucks on a hand, so I decided to try the $.5-1 tables. At this point I think I was at $70.

Now I'm wishing that I would have just started at the $.5-1 tables. I don't keep records of my hands, so I can't share any hand history with you. Wednesday I won $30 over three hours. Didn't play Thursday. I played for about four hours Friday morning and won $70.

Yesterday I started playing at 9am, jumped tables about 5 times, and by 11am was down $30. Then I found the mother lode. Found a table where almost everyone was calling before the flop, even calling raises. That hallelujah song started playing in my head. I was getting great hole cards and fabulous flops. I won almost $75 in about an hour and a half before the table broke up. One poor bastard there had $80 when I got there, was calling everything, and left with about $20. Unbelievable. I almost felt sorry for him.

Played until about 5 PM and ended up being up about $100 for the day. Went to eat with the girlfriend, she dropped me off afterwards, and she went to the store and to get a movie. So I decide to get on and play until she gets back. One hand made it worth it.

I get AQ spades on the small blind. A very loose player raises early, almost everyone calls, and I reraise. We cap out the betting with about $13 in. Flop comes two spades and an ace (hallelujah song plays again). So we cap the betting again, about $20 in the pot now. Spade on the turn. Got the flush. I check, my betting buddy bets, a couple calls, I reraise, and we cap out the betting with about $33 in the pot. River comes, another spade. No chance for a straight flush, so I'm sitting on the nuts. I bet, my betting buddy reraises, someone is still calling, we cap it out, and I win about $45. Amazing.
grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 01:45 PM   #78
grim
n00b

Here is a simple breakdown of my strategy. Comments are more than welcome. All of the real money poker that I've played in my life other than nickel and dime stuff with family has come in the last week, at one website, so I am fairly new at this. I'm not suggesting anyone follow this, just looking for feedback.

1. Location, location, location!

Most important thing in my mind. Pick a table with only one or two empty seats and with decent size pots, sit down, wait for the big blind(!), and watch people betting before the flop. If half the table or more usually calls before the flop, you are in the right place. Sometimes I'll sit at 4 tables before even paying the blind. If only 3 or 4 people are seeing the flop every hand, find another table immediately. If the table tightens up to that point after you've been playing for a while, find another table ASAP no matter how well you are doing.

2. Fold crap

Obvious. You need a reputaion as a relatively conservative player in order for the rest of this to work.

www.lowlimitholdem.com is a great site. I pretty much follow his recommendations under the "starting hands" link, except for pairs. I will usually fold any pair under JJ before the flop unless I'm in a late position, because at very loose tables there will be a lot of face cards seeing the flop, and I don't want to pay $2 while holding a pair of 5s.

3. If you get good hole cards, make people pay to see the flop

I'll raise any Ace/face card combo before the flop most of the time if no one else has raised yet. Position doesn't matter. If you are seeing only a quarter or less of the flops, and almost everyone else is seeing everthing, you'll scare some people off. If anyone reraises, call.

I've stolen plenty of pots with a AJ in the hole and KXX on the board because others are positive that I have K with a high kicker in the hole. Of course, this bluff only works once if others call you to the showdown and they find out you were bluffing. Don't try it twice then.

4. If someone reraises on you, proceed with A LOT of caution

You should have a reputation as a conservative player, and others will think that if you are betting you aren't bluffing.

Good luck and I hope I never see any of you at a table.
grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 12:18 PM   #79
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally posted by grim

Yesterday I started playing at 9am, jumped tables about 5 times, and by 11am was down $30. Then I found the mother lode. Found a table where almost everyone was calling before the flop, even calling raises. That hallelujah song started playing in my head. I was getting great hole cards and fabulous flops. I won almost $75 in about an hour and a half before the table broke up. One poor bastard there had $80 when I got there, was calling everything, and left with about $20. Unbelievable. I almost felt sorry for him.

There is a good term for this. I believe it is called pot odds.

Anyways, you make think this is the motherload, but It looks like a good way to lose your cash. I would rather play in a ring game that doesnt have people calling all pre-flop raises. It makes it harder to read a person, because you never know if they have the goods, but it also makes it harder to win.

For example with 2 people in the pot unsuited AK is a pretty good starting hand, but with 6 people in the pot, you still have a pretty good hand, but the odds increase of someone making a hand that beats yours is even better.

I think the true goal of betting pre-flop is to drive out all of the weak hands, and maybe a strong hand or two. In the long run I think you will be much more profitable when you have a strong hand if you dont get too greedy, and only try to beat one or two people.

Old 07-09-2003, 02:10 PM   #80
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Airhog: I couldn't disagree more.

It may seem like you're winning less, but even though you'll take less pots, you do get more money.

Here's an example...

I'm at said loose table, and 7 other players call my preflop raise. I have AKx (and we'll assume it's the best hand at the table - no one has a high pocket pair). That makes the value of the pot 16b (b = big blind).

Now say only two others call my raise, and again I have the best hand. The value of the pot is 6b.

Now consider this - in the 2nd pot, the remaining hands are presumably stronger in the first pot. So we'll give you a 35% chance of winning the first pot, and a 50% chance of winning the 2nd pot.

When you work out the mathematics in the long run, the first pot is much more profitable. Obviously, it's impossible to accurately model this without intense statistical analysis, but I've done my best with a simple example.

Does that makes sense?

~rpi-fan
Old 07-10-2003, 02:30 PM   #81
Airhog
Captain Obvious

It makes sense yes, but I think the math is flawed. You cannot just imply that AK will win 35% of the time in situation A and 50% of the time in situation B. If that was the case, then Poker would be a whole lot easier

I think the only thing we can say is that you have a better chance to win a 3-way pot with a good starting hand, then a 6-way pot, because you have cut the number of starting hands in half.

One of the real challenges in poker, is that alot of stuff you cant just slap a number on. Sure you can calculate the odds of getting a needed card, or If you have good pot odds. But it still doesnt help you know if that guy sitting to the left of you has KK.

Old 07-10-2003, 02:57 PM   #82
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Yea', exactly, you can't slap a number on it.

But it's been proven in the field of battle as more profitable to play a really loose table.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:03 PM   #83
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Hmmm, I wagree with you there, but only if we are talking about the same number of people going into each pot.

Old 07-11-2003, 11:59 AM   #84
TredWel
High School Varsity

I've had a busy week over the last few days at the tables. I have five more sessions to transcribe to this thread, which I will do tonight.

What I do have time for is to write up this afternoon's short session right now.

July 11, 12:00pm

Hand #12: Not much action in the first few hands. I've been raised out of the big blind, and the one hand I did play I dropped at the river for lack of good pot odds. I'm in middle position when I get Js Ts, arguably one of the best suited connectors. There are two limpers before me, and I call as well. The button and the blinds make it five other people to see the flop.

The flop is Jd 7h 2h. The action is checked to me, and I bet my top pair, in an effort to knock out people with borderline drawing hands. The herd thins considerably, as only two people call my bet.

The turn is no help, as the 6c comes onto the table. The action checks to me again, and I still have what appears to be the good hand. I bet again, and reduce the field to one opponent.

The river is an overcard, the Ac to be exact. He checks, and I know players who call to the river on a blank Ace. In case this card hit him, I'm going to check as well. He shows T8o, and was drawing to an inside straight. My pair of Jacks wins the $6 pot.

Hand #15: Under the gun here, and I get a good hand, the Kh Jh. This is openable under the gun, and I bet my customary two bets when opening. I get three callers.

The flop is rather nice, as the Ah Th 8c come off the deck. The SB checks, and I bet my gutshot royal flush draw. All 3 people call me.

Guess what the turn was. Yep, the Qh! I've made a royal flush. Suprisingly enough, the SB bets into me! I consider the situation, and since there are two people yet to act behind me, I just call instead of raise. I want them to call with nebulous draws, rather than scaring them out now with gross displays of power. Only one calls the dollar bet.

The river is the Qc, but it doesn't matter since everybody is drawing dead. The SB bets again, and it's time for the thumbscrews. I raise the bet. The other player calls the $2, and I'm hoping beyond hope that the SB will raise again. Nope, he just calls the extra buck. My first ever royal flush nets me a nice $15 pot.

I see one more flop in the Big Blind before I have to leave the table. I don't play much, only seeing four flops, but I make the most of them, netting $12.25 for my best showing in a while.

Last edited by TredWel : 07-11-2003 at 12:00 PM.
TredWel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 12:10 PM   #85
Radii
Head Coach

Nice hand Its always nice to get a couple of people to call you all the way down when you have the nuts too, very nice.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:22 PM   #86
Malificent
High School JV

Is anyone playing enough hands to get in on Sunday's freeroll tournament?
Old 07-11-2003, 02:48 PM   #87
Radii
Head Coach

Is that the 1500 hands at partypoker.com? I did last week. I don't often though(I'd guess 1 week in 3). Lately when I sit down to play I find two good looking $25 NL ring games and play them both simultaneously.

I only played about 300 hands this week though and i'm going out of town so no Saturday session. The reason I hit the 1500 hands last week is that I played a *ton* on Saturday. I got up to $75+ at both of my tables and since stack size is so critical in no limit, I didn't want to leave either table and stayed for quite some time.

I had a pretty crappy go of it in the freeroll itself, I think I went out like 175th or so.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:07 PM   #88
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Awesome!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:59 PM   #89
TredWel
High School Varsity

Here’s my first report on the last few days:

July 5, 11:30am

Hand #14: I get my first legitimate hand of the day in very late position with As Kd. With three people behind me, I decide just to limp in. The small blind completes the bet and the big blind checks.

The flop is the Th 9s 4s, nothing helping my hand. There’s a bet before me. This may be a small pair or even a straight draw. With two overcards I call the bet, as do two others.

The turn is the 5h, and the same person bets out again. I’m getting 5-1 odds on my overcard draw – and it isn’t even a guarantee that what I’m drawing to will be good enough, with flush and straight draws to worry about as well. I decide to let go of my hand at this juncture.

Hand #21: I pony up the small blind, and get a half-decent hand for my troubles: the Kc Jd. There are four limpers, and I throw in the extra quarter to see the flop.

The flop is the Ac Qc 4s. I’m first to act, as I am the SB, and I bet my nut straight draw. Maybe this isn’t the best play here, but it’s not such a bad try. There are two callers

The turn is the 8c, making the flush. However, I still hold the Kc, meaning I have a nut flush draw if another club hits the table. I check the betting, and the two remaining players both check.

The river blanks with the 3h. I’ve got King-high, and I don’t think I should bet here in a bluff. I check, as does everybody else. I lose the pot to a pair of queens.

Hand #24: Middle position this time, with a medium pair, the 9h 9s. With three limpers behind me, I’m barely getting the odds to call. The blinds make it 5 total opponents in the pot.

The flop is the Td 3s 3d. When everybody checks to me, I make the assumption that there is not another ten out there. I bet, and only get one caller.

The turn is the 6c. She checks to me, and I check as well. In retrospect, the 6c couldn’t hurt me, so I should bet again here.

The river is the Ks. She checks again. I should bet again, but I can’t find the courage too. Too bad, as she only has Q-Jo, meaning I win the measly pot of $4.

Hand #29: The big blind gives my Presto, 5c 5s. With three people in before me, I hit the table and see the free flop.

The flop is garbage, as the 8d 3h 2h form the first community cards. With one middling overcard on the board, I bet out. This reduces the field down to 2 players.

The turn is the 4s. This gives me an open ended straight draw. I figure it is unlikely that another bet will win the pot here, so I check. The button bets out, and I still have enough odds to call and play my draw.

The last card is the Qh, and I’m on shaky ground. I check, and the button bets again. I figure him for an 8, and that I’m probably beat. I refuse to pay him off, and I fold.

Hand #56: Nothing interesting comes up for a while, and I’m eventually back in the big blind with the 6d 5d. There are 4 callers, and I let them see the flop.

The flop is the Kd Jd 4h, giving me a flush draw, which I promptly bet. I get two callers from that.

The turn is the Ts. I check now, and there’s a bet in middle position. I call the bet, still looking for the flush, and we’re heads up for the river.

I win the struggle, as the Ad hits the table. I bet out, and he raises me! Since he bet the turn, I’m inclined that he doesn’t get the flush. Save for a Q-T of diamonds, I think I have the best hand. I reraise the bet up to $3, and he calls me. I show the flush, and he mucks. I suck out to the tune of $11.50.

I leave soon afterwards. After 62 hands of poker, I’m down $1.25, which is fine by me. I haven’t been doing that well lately, and a small loss is better than a big loss.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:06 PM   #90
TredWel
High School Varsity

I sit down later that day, attempting to recoup my small loss.

July 5, 4:00pm

Hand #10: The big blind gives me a good hand, with the As Tc as my hole cards. There are six players before me, and rather than making them call a raise, I let them see a flop.

The flop is the 8d 7c 2d. I check, and there is a bet on my left. After four people call, I ascertain that I’m getting good enough odds on my overcard draws to call the bet.

The turn is the 2c. This time, the SB leads out, and I’m stuck for a decision. Trip twos would not be out of the question, and even if there isn’t another duck out there, I’m still drawing for my hand. I fold now rather than put a dollar or even more into this pot.

Hand #12I’m on the dealer button, and I pick up another nice offsuit hand, the Qh Js. With two limpers before me, I call, and the blinds come into the pot as well.

The flop is the Qd 8d 6h. The small blind takes the initiative by betting, and there’s a raise by a middle limper before the action gets to me. I have top pair with a very good kicker, but is that enough? There’s a diamond flush draw to worry about, the 8-6 gives people some straight draws, and there’s always pocket queens, eights, and sixes to worry about. Considering that Q-8 or Q-6 isn’t entirely out of the question with this clientele either, I decide to fold. A wise decision, as the raiser had Q6 offsuit.

Hand #13: The very next hand, and I get dealt a similar hand: the Kd Qc. Two limpers come in again, I call. The button and the blinds also show interest in winning this hand.

The flop is garbage: 8c 6d 4d. There’s a middle bettor, and my overcards as well as close-to-nut backdoor flush draw keep me in this pot. 3 others call as well.

The turn makes my hand, as the Ks hits the board. People check to me, and I’m not going to let those diamond draws go unpunished. I bet my hand, and get all three to call.

The river is the 6c, pairing the board. People might play a hand containing a six very passively, just calling, so I can’t rule out the fact that somebody may have a six. People check to me, and I check as well. The button checks, and my pair of Kings hold up to the tune of $9.

Hand #20: Back with the button again, and I’ve got the Ad Qh. There are two limpers before me, and I raise and try to knock out the blinds. Both blinds call, unfortunately, but one of the limpers refuses to call my 50-cent raise.

The turn is the Jc 9h 7h, no help so far. Nobody bets.

The river is the 5h, completing the heart flush. Once again, nobody owns up to having a hand worth betting on.

The river is the 8h, giving me the Queen-high flush. Unfortunately, there’s the King, Ace and six to worry about. When the action is checked to me, I check the hand down rather than risk the check raise. The Ace of Hearts is out there, and wins the pot.

Hand #23: Sometimes you get a good hand in the Big Blind, and sometimes you get Qd 2s. There are only two limpers though, so that gives me hope that there isn’t much better out there.

The flop is the 5c 2c 2h, and suddenly my hand isn’t looking too bad. The SB bets as well, and I place him with a five. I’ll let him lead the hand. I call, as does the other person in this pot.

The turn is the Jh, and the SB unfortunately checks. I guess that means I’ll have to bet in order to make the pot larger, and I do so. The other limper drops out, and the SB calls me.

The river is the Qh, improving my hand from a probable winner to a near-cinch. SB checks, and I bet again. He pays off my boat, and I collect $6.50.

I leave right afterwards, happy to be up $6 for the half-hour, and positive on the day.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:55 PM   #91
TredWel
High School Varsity

I’m feeling rather bullish about that last session, and decide to continue to let my luck ride.

July 5, 6:00pm

Hand #5: I’m in early position here, and squeeze out Kd Jd to play with. There are no limpers before me, so I perform my standard open-raise. Only the Big Blind calls.

The flop is nice, as the Qh Jc 2c hits the table, giving my second pair heads up. BB checks, I bet, and he calls me.

The board pairs on the turn with the 2d. The BB checks to me again, and I continue to bet at the pot. He continues to call.

The river is the 2s, meaning that I have a fairly common full house. The BB checks, and I bet again. I have no idea what he has. He calls, and shows J9o. We end up splitting the pot, and I get $3.25 of my $3.50 invested, thanks to the rake.

Hand #10: After throwing away a useless big blind, I put up a quarter in the small blind to see Ah Jc. There are two limpers, I call, and BB checks behind me.

The flop hits me rather nicely, as the Ac Ad 9s gives me triple aces. I check choose to and slowplay here, hoping somebody has a nine. The BB right after me bets out, and I am the sole caller.

The turn is the blank 2s. I check, BB bets again, and the trap is sprung. I raise. He reraises me, giving me pause. I figure he has an Ace. An AK or AQ would be unwelcome, but anything else I should deal with. In the off chance that he did pick up one of those hands, I’ll just call here instead of capping the betting.

The river is the blank 4d, and I check to BB’s bet again. I like this hand less and less as a big favorite, but it’s still probably going to win. I call. The BB shows an A4o. I had him to a three-outer at the river, and he picked up the full house. I’m glad I took pause before raising madly, because this was an annoying loss.

Hand #21: After that hand, my mood and my hole cards both soured, to the point of not playing a hand until now with the suited connector 8d 7d. Three people come in before me in fifth position, and I’m just about getting the odds necessary to call. There are a bunch of players calling after me, and there end up being 7 other people in the pot with me to see the flop.

The flop is the Ad Kd 8h, not bad really. I like seeing a lot of high cards when I have a flush draw. Not only does it mean that the chances that I will lose to a higher flush are smaller, it means there will be a lot of callers with high pairs should I make the flush. There’s a bet in middle position before me, and I call it. The 7 opponents I started with are reduced to three.

The turn is the 9s, making me wait longer for a better hand. The same bettor bets again, and I am the only caller left.

The river hits me, but not necessarily in the way I want to. The board gets the 7h, giving me two pair. He bets again, and I place him as only having a high pair. He really hasn’t been tested yet in this pot, so he could have more, but I’ve got to like the chances of two pair here. I raise him, and he just calls me. I show the two pair, and my read is correct as he just mucks. I win $11.50.

Hand #27: I’ve got the button here, and pick up pocket nines, 9h 9d. With four limpers already in the pot, I call. The BB is the last person in the pot.

The flop is the Qh 9s 2s, giving me a ready-made set. There’s a bet on my right, and I raise, trying to muscle out whatever spade draws there may be. My raise gets three callers.

The turn is the 4s, completing the spade flush. They all check to me, though. I bet out again. One player drops, and two stay in.

The 5d hits the board to complete this hand. They both check to me, and I bet again. Only one person calls me. He doesn’t have a flush, apparently, as my trips hold up, and I collect $11.75. My mood presently brightens.

Hand #36: Again, I’m in last position, and I collect Qc Td. I’ve got 4 limpers to worry about, and I call. The blinds make it 7 people playing this pot.

The flop is the Ts 7d 3d. The BB makes the first bet, which three people call before me. I just call with top pair as well.

The turn is the Jh, and the action checks to me. I read BB as having a ten and being scared by the overcard. If that’s the case, then there’s a good chance that my Queen will beat his kicker. I bet out, and get two callers, including the BB.

The river is the blank 4c, and the action checks to me again. I bet again, half expecting BB to fold. Instead, he calls, with the other player dropping. He turns over J7 of spades. He has two pair, and takes the pot. His check on the turn fooled me.

Hand #42: The table is losing players fast, and now I’m in the small blind, playing heads up. I have Jd 5h. I normally would not call here, but I am playing heads up, after all, and this is a decent hand heads up. I call, and he checks.

The flop is the Js 9h 2c. I bet the top pair, and he quickly folds. I win the whopping pot of $1.50.

I leave the now defunct table. It’s a good thing that I called that last pot, as my profit for the session is $1.50

With that, I call it a day, notching a small profit over three different small sessions of poker.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:07 PM   #92
TredWel
High School Varsity

There’s nothing like Monday morning poker.

July 6, 11:00am

Hand #1: I see action the very first hand, as I get Ah 2s in my come-in big blind. There are 6 limpers to me, and I want to see the flop.

The flop is golden, as the 4s 2c 2h comes off. Hey, with trips and an Ace in the hole to boot, I’ll bet. I get three callers.

The turn is the 5c. I continue to bet, not seeing the danger in that card, and quickly get raised. Now I see the danger. This looks like either slowplay trip twos, A3 making drew a bike, or, heaven forfend, 2-4 or 2-5 making a full house. Or it could be some clown with a 5 thinking she’s got the best hand. I don’t like situations like this, as I almost have to stay in and passively call in case this woman is crazy. I and one other player call.

The river is the Ks, and I let the raiser go first. She calls, and I’m the sole caller. She’s for real, as she shows A3o. I end up paying off her bicycle.

Hand #20: I’m picking up more than my share of drawing hands this session, but letting them all go after the flop refuses to fill them out. Finally, I pick up a good hand. With the dealer button, I get the Ad Qd. I get two limpers, and I raise on the button to isolate the limpers. Both blinds acquiesce by folding, and the two limpers call me.

The flop is the Jh Jd 9c, and when second of the limpers bets out, I’m not too happy. I call the bet reluctantly, and the other limper calls as well.

The turn is the 2s. Now I’m down to picking up an Ace or Queen to better my hand. Even if I notch top pair, that still doesn’t guarantee the hand, as a player with trip jacks is more than a good possibility. Last round’s opener bets again, and I fold the hand here.

I play 27 hands, and never win a pot, even after seeing 8 flops. I hit my $10 limit, and promptly get out of the room.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:32 PM   #93
primelord
Pro Rookie

TredWel,

Not trying to thread jack your thread here, but it seems to be a good place for some strategy discussion too.

It became pretty clear to me why you should always raise high pocket pairs such as pocket Kings. I was playing a hand earlier and I was in the big blind and I got dealt 89s. An ok hand, especially in the big blind since I had already out my bet in. However if someone raised the pot I was planning on dumping my cards figuring they had high pocket pairs or an AKs. No one raises and I get to see the flop for free. The flop comes up 9 9 9. So unless someone pulls out a straight flush I am gold here. With 6 people left in the game a check figuring someone will bet at that, and they do so I of course raise when comes back around. Everyone calls and the next card is a 2. So I now have the nuts and just bet out. I get called by two players on both the turn and river. Of course I won the pot and one of the guys calling me tells me he had pocket Kings and figured he was golden when he flopped the full house. I asked him why he didn't raise those kings and he said it was because he was tring to keep people in the pot. Always raise those Kings.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:34 PM   #94
TredWel
High School Varsity

primelord:

No threadjack at all, strategy discussions are mroe than welcome here.

I will always, always, always raise with pocket Kings and Aces, but not much else - at least at this level. You'd like to push out the players who limped in in early position with A5 suited, but if they're going to call with that hand, they're going to call your raise. You might get one player out of twenty (and that's probably being kind) who will toss their hand away after a raise when they limped in. I only raise with Kings and Aces because I know that my chances of winning the pot are so much greater than anybody else statistically that it's worth letting them call me - I just want to make my edge worth more.

To try and spin off a side note, 98s in the big blind is a good hand, and I would call a raise in the big blind. If the flop hits you, you stay in, and if not you can eject without too much loss. You can even make the case to call a raise in the big blind with hands like 65s, but that's a bit towards the extreme side.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:48 AM   #95
thealmighty
Pro Starter

TredWel, just wanted to let you know I am still loving your dynasty. Keep it up.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:59 AM   #96
TredWel
High School Varsity

I’ve been hitting the tables pretty hard lately, and as a result my updating of this dynasty is suffering. Not to worry, as I have been keeping records of every hand I’ve played (probably over 1300 through the last week) and will eventually do write-ups on all sessions I’ve played.

July 10, 12:00

Hand #3: On the button, I get a decent hand, Kh Qs. There are three limpers before me, and I call as well. Both blinds are in on this pot as well.

The flop is the Qd Jc 7s, giving me top pair. There’s a bet two players to my right, and a call in between us. I raise, attempting to isolate these two players, and knock out any straight draws. This tactic achieves its goal, as the two callers to my right are the only players remaining.

The turn is the 4c, and the remaining players check to me, I still have a good hand. I bet, and only get one caller.

The river is the 4h, and he checks to me. I have an all right hand, but it hasn’t improved since the flop. I check as well, and he shows Qc Tc. My king kicker is worth $7.50.

Hand #18: I’m half in the pot for this hand, and I get Ah Qs. I’m more than willing to throw in the extra half, and have 5 others who concur.

The flop is rags, the 6c 4s 3s. I bet here, for some reason. Perhaps I was afraid of spade draws, but no matter. This was not a good bet. With this many people in the pot, bets like these reward people with the best draws. With flush draws and straight draws out there, my draw is far from best, having 5 outs (I wouldn’t want to see the As). Still I bet, and four people call me.

The turn is the 9d, and I’m not fool enough to fire another shell. There’s a late bet, and I fold the souring hand.

Hand #26: The button moves around the table, and put me in the big blind for my next hand. I get Ah Qh, and check when 4 people limp in.

The flop is the Kd 8h 3c, giving me runner draws at best. I check, as does everybody in front of me.

The turn is the Th, a very nice card. I have a strong draw here, and I decide to bet it. It’s questionable as to whether anybody’s actually made anything here. When only one person calls me, it appears that these board cards aren’t helping many other people here.

The river is the 6s, foiling my draws. Still the pot’s not bad, and I’m heads-up here. I bet out, hoping that he folds. If he has an 8 or a 3, and places my on a ten when I bet on the river, he should fold. Thankfully he does, and my bluff on the end is worth $5.50.

Hand #28: After not catching anything in the small blind, the very next hand I get As Tc on the button. With three people in before me, I limp in as well. The small blind completes, the Big Blind checks, and we’re off.

The flop comes Ac Kh 3c, no bad. There’s a bet before me, and I call it along with another player.

The turn pairs the board, as the Kd comes off. The same player bets, and I’m the only person to call it.

The river card is the 7h, leaving me with two pair. She bets again, and I’m left to think. I think I can place her on an Ace, and that if it comes down to that, my kicker should be good. I’ve seen people call with Ace-rag so many times it gets a bit tedious. I call the bet.

I’m way off on my estimations. She has K3o, flopped two pair and caught a boat on the turn.

Hand #36: In the small blind again, and I pick up a decent suited hand, the Ks 7s. There are 3 limpers before I and the big blind both let the action go for 50 cents.

The flop is the Th 8d 7d, and there’s a middle bet. For some reason, I call. This is the problem of doing recaps a week after playing the hands. I’ve come to the realization that if a player at this level bets at the flop, they most likely have at least top pair or a very good draw. Staying in with bottom pair, with 3 cards that could improve my hand, against straight and flush draws is a surefire way to lose money.

The turn is the Qs. The same player bets, and I come to my senses enough to get out quickly.

Hand #42: I’m in third position at a full table, and pick up Ad Qh. When both players before me fold, I get the chance to open-raise. I only get one caller.

The flop is the Ah 8d 4d. Not bad, but that flush draw is worrisome. But, with top pair, I bet out, and my one adversary calls me.

The turn is the 4s, pairing the board. If she has a pocket pair or an eight, that makes my hand all the better. I bet again, and she folds now. It’s not much but the $4.75 I pick up puts me back in the black.

And I leave soon afterwards, up a measly $1.75. Still up, though.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:08 PM   #97
TredWel
High School Varsity

I’ve been all around the poker world lately. I played higher stakes, and I played a bunch of single-table tournaments. I ended up not doing so hot, and my confidence (and bankroll) suffered. As a result, I hadn’t played for real for quite some time.

So, I decided to go back to basics. I refocused on refining my selection of starting hands, and trying to play smart, aggressive poker after the flop. I’m starting to regain my form back at the small stakes of $.5/$1.

I decided to bring this dynasty back from the dead. I learned a lot while doing it, and received a bunch of good advice and sparked some conversation. I’m confident enough in my play now to display it again for the world to see, and for it to be dissected.

1/4/04 – 12:00pm

Hand #4: One off the button, I pick up my first hand, 8d 8h. Two people have limped to me, and I raise. This isn’t a raise I used to make, but I recognize the necessity to knock out the blinds whenever possible. The button folds, the small blind folds, and the BB and previous 2 limpers call.

The flop is Jc 6d 4d. When it’s checked to me, I really have nothing much to worry about. I bet out, and only get the BB to call me.

The turn is the As, a bit of a scare card. Of course, it could easily be a scare card for him as well. He checks to me, and I continue my strong show of betting. He’s had enough, and folds. I pick up a quick $5.75.

Hand #35: Not many cards to play this session, and I’m happy to get Ad Jc in the Big Blind. There are four players limping to me, and I just check. No need to raise – I won’t knock anybody out, and I’m in poor position for the rest of the hand.

The flop fits my hand, with the Jh Td 8d. The flush is an obvious threat, and a possible Q9 or 97 gives a straight. There are possible pitfalls, so I bet early. If I’m raised here, I can hit the brakes early enough to stop the bleeding. Only two players call me – no raise.

The Tc on the turn increases the scare potential. I continue to bet though – I’ll can’t know that I’m beat until I see it. Both players just continue to call.

The river brings me relief in the form of the Ah. The flush missed, nobody’s showing a straight, and I have two pair higher than the pair on board. I’d be surprised if I’m beaten here. I bet, and both players call me. My high two pair wins the pot of $9.75. One player shows me A4o, for some reason. Maybe to establish himself as an poor player who’ll call anything with Ace high.

Hand #42: In the Big Blind with an interesting hand, the 6h 4h. 2 limpers and the small blind have already paid their money, and I’m willing to see a free flop.

The flop gives me reason to hope: Tc 8h 3h. SB checks, and I’ll bet on a semi-bluff. The limpers call, and the SB gets out.

The turn keeps me waiting with the Kc. I continue to bet (I think this is the correct move), and both guys continue to call.

The flop hits me, but not the way I wanted. The 4d comes off the deck. I end up with a pair of fours, the fourth best pair. I just check, and fold to a late bet. I should possibly call here.

Hand #44: Presto - 5c 5d. Three people limp in, and I call on the button. Both blinds call as well.

The flop is awful: Kd Td 8c. I’ll stay in with one overcard, possibly with two overcards, but I’m most likely way behind here. I fold to the first bet.

Hand #47: I’m in middle position, and pick up Ah Tc. Everyone folds to me, and I raise, trying to isolate one or two other players. Hah. Two players before the blinds call me, and both blinds decide their hands are worth another bet.

The flop isn’t too bad, with the Ac Jc 9s hitting the table. The action is checked to me, and I bet out. All four players stick around to see another card.

The Qc gives the possibility of a flush. Everybody checks, including me. C’mon, Kc!

Nope. The river is the 6h, a blank looking card. The Big Blind bets this card, and I call, thinking it a 50-50 shot that I’m beat, unless someone raises. Nobody else calls. The BB shows J6 of spades. He hits two pair on the river, and takes the pot. I possibly should have bet the turn here – maybe that would knock him out with a third-best pair of jacks.

I continue to play, but get no more interesting hands. I finish a session of 64 hands, up a measly dollar. Hey, I’m happy to be up.

Last edited by TredWel : 01-04-2004 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:41 PM   #98
TredWel
High School Varsity

1/4/04 – 8:30pm

Hand #1: First hand in the big blind, and I get the 6c 3c. Only three people come in for a bet here, and I check.

The flop doesn’t give me much hope, as the Ks Qc 8s come off the deck. I check, as does everybody else. Interesting.

The turn is the 5c, giving me a club draw. I decide to semi-bluff, and bet. I only get one caller.

The Fifth street is the Jd, another unfortunate high card. I check my bust, and the only onther player checks, and shows the 95s. He takes the minor pot.

Hand #2: No time to rest, as I pick up As Kd in the small blind. Four player call the blinds, and I just complete. Too many players limped in for me to consider a raise. I’d be giving quite good odds for some long draws later in the hand if I raise. The BB checks, and we’re 6 strong in seeing the flop.

The flop is nice for me, giving me a pair: Kh 7d 3d. I bet, having to play this hard to hurt the flush draws. Two players fold, and three players call my bet.

The turn is the Tc, which isn’t much to worry about. Again, I bet, and two ore players fold. I’m heads up going into the river.

The river is the 5d, and the diamond flush makes. I check this disturbing news, and my lone opponent checks as well. I show big slick, and I outkick his pair of Kings. +$6.50.

Hand #4: Just a couple hands later, and I’m still in good position, and get Ac Js. Only one player comes in before me, and I raise with my decent but not spectacular hand. The BB calls me, as well as the limper. At least I scared off the small blind.

The flop doesn’t really help me, with the Kc Th 3h. Only a gutshot draw. Both players check to me, and I continue to put up the strong front by betting. Both players decide to fold, and I can’t really complain, seeing as how I had no real future with this hand. A small pot at $3.75, but a pot I’m happy to win.

Hand #28: Yep, a fairly boring set of hands, and when I pick up the 8s 3s in the Big Blind, I’m not seeing much of a change for the future. Three people limp in, and I don’t want to lose any more money to this hand right now.

The flop is not helpful, with the Kh Jh 5s hitting the table. I check, as does everyone else.

The turn is the 2d. If I was in later position, I would play the players and bet as a bluff here, but I’m under the gun. I check, and nobody else bets either.

The river is the Kc, pairing the board. Now I know nobody has anything useful. But, should I bet here? I’m getting 3:1 odds here, and I decide that the chance tha somebody calls with a stray five or deuce are too good. Once again, maybe if I was in later position. Everybody checks, and the winning hand was Queen high. It was clear that anybody who bet would have won the hand.

Hand #30: The table is thinning out, so when I’m on the button, and everybody folds to me, it’s not too surprising. I pick up Kh Jh, and open the betting with a raise. Both blinds call – the Big blind having to go all-in to do so.

The flop is very nice: Ah Qd 8h. Four flush and gutshot straight. SB checks, and I gladly bet. The Small Blind calls.

The turn pairs the board with the Qh. I have my flush now, and now I’ve got to worry about the full house. SB checks again, I bet my flush, and he calls.

The river card is as scary a card as can come off at this point: the 8c. When the Small Blind checks again, however, I can’t think he’s got either a Queen or an Eight. At best, he’s got an ace and has three pair. I bet out to test my read. I get called, and my Flush indeed is boss, beating both the Small Blind and the Big Blind. I’m up $7 dollars.

I leave the thinning table after that hand, and I’m up $6 for the half-hour’s worth of work.

Last edited by TredWel : 01-04-2004 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:54 AM   #99
MJ4H
Coordinator

Cool one of my favorite dynasties!
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 01:46 PM   #100
TredWel
High School Varsity

1/5/03 2:00pm

Hand #3: First hind I play is on the button, with the Ad Qh. There are three limpers, and I raise to knock out the blinds. Both blinds fold, and the three limpers meet my bet.

The flop hits me, with the Ac Ks 8c. The first player checks, and the second bets out. The third player calls, and I decided to raise. I feel pretty good that I’ve got the best hand, and I want to soak any club draws or gutshot straight draws that might be out there. The first player, who checked before, folds, and the remaining two players call.

The turn is a blank, the 3s. The flop bettor bets again, and the last player left folds. Didn’t this guy get the message that I’m the hand leader? It’s doubtful that the three helps him, but I’m jarred by the fact that he’s willing to bet into a player who’s raised him the last two turns. I just call, conservatively.

The turn is the 9h. He again bets into me, and I timidly call him. I still think I’m best, but this aggressiveness is a bit disturbing. He shows AJo, and I’m able to outkick him. +$11.25

Hand #13: I’m in late position when I get a nice pair of red queens. There are three limpers before me, and I happily raise. The button calls, the blinds both fold, and the three limpers match me.

The flop makes my hand gold: Qs 4c 3c. The limpers check to me, and I bet. Had the flop been a rainbow, I probably would have checked to try and let a player catch a second-best hand. But, the club draw forces my hand. Two of the four players left call me.

The turn is the Jh, and the two remaining players both check. I continue to fire at the pot, and am rewarded when both players fold. I pick up the pot, worth $7.75

Hand #20: In the small blind this time, with As Kh. Three players limp to me, and I raise. (Is this correct? My blind play is not exactly the sharpest part of my game). The Big Blind folds, and the other three players call me.

The flop is the Qh Td 7h. I bet out in first position here, and get two players to follow.

The turn pays me off: the Kc. I’m now justified in betting, and do so. This brings us down to me and one other player.

Fifth street pairs the board, with the Qs. Well, a queen is a distinct possibility in my opponent’s hand, so I’m slowing things down. I check to him, and he bets out. I just call, as I can’t get away from this hand. He shows QJs, and takes the pot from me.

Hand #25: In middle position, four off the button, I pick up Ah Ts. After only one player limps in before me, I go ahead and make a very aggressive raise. Only the two blinds call me, along with the original limper, so my raise has thinned things out here.

The flop is 9h 8c 6s. The BB bets out, and the limper calls, so I’m getting at least 10:1 on my money to see the turn. Since there are 7 cards I can catch (three aces, four sevens) to make me feel better about my hand, I’ll call.

The turn hits me with the Tc. Is this good? If there’s a seven out there, I’m in trouble. The Small Blind bets out here, the big blind calls, and the limper folds. I’m sort of committed to this hand now, so I call.

The river is a blank 3s. The SB bets again, and the BB raises here. I now know that I’m beat, and can get away easily enough. After a couple more raises, the small blind show QJs (again!) and takes the hand with the master straight.

I’m out of there soon afterwards. 27 hands, and only +$3 thanks to those two late losses.

I feel that I didn’t make too many mistakes this session, and I’m starting to get the feel of the game back. I’ll probably be moving up in class to $1/$2 again soon.

Last edited by TredWel : 01-05-2004 at 01:47 PM.