SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #952
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Season two is now on Netflix streaming!

but i'm already watching Lost!....sigh...so much netflix to do...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #953
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Season two is now on Netflix streaming!

Started watching S2 over the weekend to get caught up.
I hope it gets better, but at this point (episode 4) I'm cheering for the zombies.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #954
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
I hope it gets better, but at this point (episode 4) I'm cheering for the zombies.

The "second half" of S2 is stronger than the first.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #955
stevew
Hall Of Famer

about the 15th time Hershel tells them "I suppose you'll be on your way soon" I just about gave up watching too.

There's some borderline classic TV in section 2, though.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #956
cadmus2166
Mascot

Can't wait for season 3 to kick off this Sunday! This is looking like it could be the most interesting season yet!
cadmus2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #957
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The "second half" of S2 is stronger than the first.

I really want to like this show, so I am not giving up.
Looking back, carefully, in the thread, I see am/was not the only one not liking most of the characters at this point.

Louis D. Brandeis
Old 10-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #958
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I really want to like this show, so I am not giving up.
Looking back, carefully, in the thread, I see am/was not the only one not liking most of the characters at this point.

Lots of people had issues with the first half of the second season and bits and parts of the second half. It was a pretty popular opinion.

Heck, I am probably one of the biggest "The Walking Dead" slappies around and even I felt like some parts of season 2 dragged and were irritating.

Season 3 is looking very promising. The show has strayed from the comic in many ways, but they are still staying on track for the major plot points (so far) and season 3 covers what is easily the best/most compelling story arc of the comic series to date.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #959
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

You're doing it right. By the time of the halfway point of S2, I was rooting to see a full-on zombie buffet of the entire cast. It got better the last couple of episodes.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #960
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I thought the last episode of the first half of Season 2, and five of the six second half of S2 episodes formed pretty much the best episodes in the series.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #961
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I thought the last episode of the first half of Season 2, and five of the six second half of S2 episodes formed pretty much the best episodes in the series.

I agree. As much as I loved season 1, I thought season 2 was even better. Maybe I'm a rare bird that actually liked a bit more of the focus being on character development (whether the characters are likable or not), but I thought the entire season was good, and that the slower pace in the first half of the season set up the crazy second half really well. I hope they can continue a balance. It certainly wouldn't be very good if it were just about the characters, but I think it'd be just as bad if it were only about killing zombies, too. I'm hoping for further flashbacks so that we can start to figure out how the zombies came to be in the first place.
cadmus2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 AM   #962
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Gee Shane certainly does out-redneck Daryl AND Merle combined!

Acting just like John Turturro from O Brother Where Art Thou!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #963
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Lots of people had issues with the first half of the second season and bits and parts of the second half. It was a pretty popular opinion.

Heck, I am probably one of the biggest "The Walking Dead" slappies around and even I felt like some parts of season 2 dragged and were irritating.

Season 3 is looking very promising. The show has strayed from the comic in many ways, but they are still staying on track for the major plot points (so far) and season 3 covers what is easily the best/most compelling story arc of the comic series to date.

It really picked up midway through S2, really enjoyed most of the second half of S2.
Episodes 7 - 12 were great, but, to me anyway, it went back to stupid mode after the big fight in E13. Hopefully they get back on track for S3.

Did anyone else think Rick's speech at the end reminded them of Queeg's meltdown in The Cain Mutiny?

Louis D. Brandeis

Last edited by Surtt : 10-10-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #964
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

well it's true. There's lots of just standing around acting all angsty. They are definitely trying to be Lost, but the probably is the acting talent and the writing isn't there.

The first interesting thing at all that's happened in this season is them finding walkers in the barn. And that's what episode 7?
(the one I just watched)

And at this point I'd say there's only one character I find at all interesting and that's Daryl. (which is a huge surprise to me). I did like Glen but really he just kinda faded into the background. I pretty much hate everyone from the farm. Although Maggie is a little interesting.
And I no longer like any of the other main characters as they just stand around crying and talking blahblahblah so none of them are likable anymore.

I was actually worried at the last episode of season one that the series was already becoming formulaic. That they all run from place to place finding a new person each episode and in the process one of them dies.

Well now I wish it WAS like that.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #965
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
well it's true. There's lots of just standing around acting all angsty. They are definitely trying to be Lost, but the probably is the acting talent and the writing isn't there.

The first interesting thing at all that's happened in this season is them finding walkers in the barn. And that's what episode 7?
(the one I just watched)

And at this point I'd say there's only one character I find at all interesting and that's Daryl. (which is a huge surprise to me). I did like Glen but really he just kinda faded into the background. I pretty much hate everyone from the farm. Although Maggie is a little interesting.
And I no longer like any of the other main characters as they just stand around crying and talking blahblahblah so none of them are likable anymore.

I was actually worried at the last episode of season one that the series was already becoming formulaic. That they all run from place to place finding a new person each episode and in the process one of them dies.

Well now I wish it WAS like that.

Your views (as of the end of the first half of season 2) are pretty much in lock-step with a lot of people who watched the show.

The second half is better and there are certain events that I think (no guarnatees of course) will help alleviate a lot of problems with the show.

The show is by no means perfect, but I do enjoy it so. I can't wait for Sunday!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #966
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Anyone going to New York Comic con? There's a Walking Dead panel with the cast there.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #967
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

okay the SECOND interesting thing of season 2 just happened. Sofia came out of the barn as a walker. Very nice poignancy that. And I really didn't see it coming although I didn't think there should be a reason she was still alive.

So I'm assuming next episode we can just completely leave the farm of boredom. There is no reason they should stay with Shane at all tho.

He's worse than Merle.

Actually I would like it if the group of Daryl, T-Dog, Glenn, and Maggie just took off from the farm and the series just followed them. Okay we can bring Dale along too for his bugeyed looks.

I really hate everyone else actors AND characters.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #968
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Can't wait for season 3. I started watching the series over again on Netflix and it even peaked my wife's interest - so she is watching from the start with me
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #969
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Can't believe Dish still doesn't have a deal with AMC. Ludicrous.

I assume they are still doing an 8/8 split?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #970
mckerney
Coordinator

A new episode of the game tonight to get myself ready for the new episode on TV this weekend, very excited.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #971
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I assume they are still doing an 8/8 split?

Yup - 8 in the fall, 8 in the spring.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #972
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
A new episode of the game tonight to get myself ready for the new episode on TV this weekend, very excited.

The game is outstanding. I am big fan of both the show and the comic, but Telltale's game has been the best piece of "The Walking Dead" story telling - in terms of characters, writing, pretty much everything - of the three.

I haven't played Ep 4 yet.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #973
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
The game is outstanding. I am big fan of both the show and the comic, but Telltale's game has been the best piece of "The Walking Dead" story telling - in terms of characters, writing, pretty much everything - of the three.

I'm guessing because in the game, something actually happens.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #974
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

The game really is incredible. It's remarkable enough that they have a character that's a child that isn't annoying as hell.

And having just finished episode four, holy shit does it manage to keep up the quality and intensity of the story.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #975
Grover
Pro Starter

Here. We. Go.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #976
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

AMC's online stream for Dish customers finally started about 15 minutes into the episode.

Major p.r. fail on their part to manage a widespread server crash/inability after working so hard to hype their magnanimous gesture.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #977
Grover
Pro Starter

Good to see Carl being a bit more bad ass. I feel that he will fulfill the badassery that he has in the comics.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #978
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Good to see Carl being a bit more bad ass. I feel that he will fulfill the badassery that he has in the comics.

And it looks like blondie is ready to go pedo and jump him.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #979
Grover
Pro Starter

Welllllllllllll, that was an interesting end.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #980
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Canonical in some respects (at least as my haven't-read-em-but-have-read-summaries ass understands it) ... and the discovery at the end was no surprise at all IMO. Inevitable, as the overriding theme of this season seems likely to be human v human more than human v walkers.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #981
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Canonical in some respects (at least as my haven't-read-em-but-have-read-summaries ass understands it) ... and the discovery at the end was no surprise at all IMO. Inevitable, as the overriding theme of this season seems likely to be human v human more than human v walkers.

Indeed. Knew they'd find the four prisoners still alive (happened in the graphic novels, of course).

Looks like we'll get to meet The Governor next week. This excites me to no end.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #982
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Indeed. Knew they'd find the four prisoners still alive (happened in the graphic novels, of course).

Was it just four? I'd have sworn there were 5 or 6, but Lord knows it was a brief glimpse.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #983
Grover
Pro Starter

You could be right, I was basing it off the GN's

Old 10-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #984
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll try to phrase this without spoilers, it's a TV show question (not GN).

The quick decision that Rick made in the final scene (regarding another member of our merry band) ... has that technique ever been discussed on the show? I think it's somewhat common zombie lore but the TWD universe has its own "rules" and it felt like a leap to me.

Am I forgetting about a previous reference to that option in that situation?
I believe it's true to the source material in terms of storyline but strictly from the TV show, was it more of a leap than they've made in the past (typically I believe we're given some insight/exposition on things like that, at least a vague reference or discussion or something)
Old 10-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #985
Grover
Pro Starter

I don't remember it ever being discussed on the show at any point with any character. From there, I agree, it does seem to be a stretch.

Last edited by Grover : 10-14-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #986
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I don't remember it ever being discussed on the show at any point with any character. From there, I agree, it does seem to be a stretch.

I don't really see it as a stretch. It's a total panic move, nothing more. Given the situation, Rick was just trying something, anything, that might save Herschel's life.

If I recall, and it's been ages, I believe in the comics they try a similar thing and it was a similar panic-move, let's try this and see if it works, type of situation, as opposed to based on any great insight or knowledge of how bites work.

Solid episode. So many zombies...
Old 10-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #987
gi
College Prospect

I was surprised they didn't have a double tap rule, if you run into a body on the floor...stick it in the head. No matter what.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #988
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't really see it as a stretch. It's a total panic move, nothing more. Given the situation, Rick was just trying something, anything, that might save Herschel's life.

If I recall, and it's been ages, I believe in the comics they try a similar thing and it was a similar panic-move, let's try this and see if it works, type of situation, as opposed to based on any great insight or knowledge of how bites work.

Solid episode. So many zombies...

Graphic Novel spoiler for those who haven't read and plan to.

Spoiler

Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #989
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi View Post
I was surprised they didn't have a double tap rule, if you run into a body on the floor...stick it in the head. No matter what.

Yeah, they weren't exactly handling several aspects of the clearing sequence particularly well. On the one hand, they're amateurs rather than professionals & so mistakes are to be expected. On the other hand, if they've lived this long then there's a temptation to assume that they have to be smarter than they showed inside the prison.

The Scooby Doo character of the "oh shit, walkers" scene in the hallways was perhaps the most unintentionally funny moment of the show to date.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #990
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I'm pretty far into season two now and things really haven't improved much at all. Still a lot of overacting going on as well as some plain ole bad writing.

Sofia ending up in the barn as a walker was the only thing that's really happened this season....as well as the reveal that Daryl seems to have been the father.

The episode where the walkers chase Whatshername (She's so dull I forget her name) out of the car crossed with the shootout in the town bar were kind of interesting but the funny thing is this season, everyone keeps getitng hurt and needs operating on by every other cause EXCEPT the zombies. It's all about them injuring themselves.
And putting them in the zombie situations is so contrived.

I really want to play the video game now. Because when this show is at its best is when it feels like a video game. So I may as well get to play it
Old 10-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #991
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
as well as the reveal that Daryl seems to have been the father.

Umm ... huh?

edit to add: Oh wait. You mean Shane as father of idiot slut's baby, as opposed to Daryl as father of Sophia. Right?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-14-2012 at 09:53 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #992
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:

Sofia ending up in the barn as a walker was the only thing that's really happened this season....as well as the reveal that Daryl seems to have been the father.

What? Where the hell did you pick up on this? Sophia's father was killed off pretty early on in season one.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #993
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Yeah, I'm good with this as well.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #994
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
What? Where the hell did you pick up on this? Sophia's father was killed off pretty early on in season one.

No facts really. Daryl screaming at SOfia's mother about her letting her go off alone and that he was the one going after her every day. Pairing that with how horrible a monster her real husband was makes me think that SOfia actually was Daryl's daughter bloodwise.

Of course if the show were more interesting I would not maybe have to contrive things like this. But they seemed to be inferring this was the case.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #995
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Umm ... huh?

edit to add: Oh wait. You mean Shane as father of idiot slut's baby, as opposed to Daryl as father of Sophia. Right?

no, see above why I think Daryl was Sofia's true father.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #996
Radii
Head Coach

Pretty good start, I liked it. I take minor issue with the idea that they rain down gunfire on the known quantity of walkers in the fenced in field area, and then set out to go into the unknowns of the rest of the prison entirely hand to hand to preserve precious ammo. I don't really care much about things like this, but the fact that it was one scene right into the next made it stand out quite a bit.

I also take issue with Carl being a badass now. They spent so much time last year showing us how much of a kid Carl is, with Shane and Rick hammering it into him that he needs to grow up, and they open this season with "some time passed, he's all grown up now". That's really, really weak.

I do love that everyone hates Lori now. And I love that she vocalized the idea of a zombie baby killing her from within. DOOO ITTTTT.

Overall I thought it was a really good start, looking forward to where it goes next.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #997
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No facts really. Daryl screaming at SOfia's mother about her letting her go off alone and that he was the one going after her every day. Pairing that with how horrible a monster her real husband was makes me think that SOfia actually was Daryl's daughter bloodwise.

Of course if the show were more interesting I would not maybe have to contrive things like this. But they seemed to be inferring this was the case.

Seems stretchy. No indication that Darryl & Merle knew the rest of the survivors prior to meeting them along the way to Atlanta.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #998
sabotai
General Manager

I think watching so much Lost has trained CF to look for plot twists in every scene of every show he watches now.

Daryl is an intense, emotional guy. He's the type of guy that will risk his life for anyone, but he'll also lash out at people when he's angry.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #999
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I think watching so much Lost has trained CF to look for plot twists in every scene of every show he watches now.

Daryl is an intense, emotional guy. He's the type of guy that will risk his life for anyone, but he'll also lash out at people when he's angry.

well yes I DO watch Lost and Walking Dead back to Back. Wasn't THAT much of a reach thinking that might be the case seeing as how most of the second season comes across like a soap opera.

And I agree, Daryl is by far the most interesting (and watchable) character they have on the show.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #1000
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There's no chance Daryl was Sofia's dad.