Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2019, 02:33 PM   #951
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I don't know that I will ever understand QBR. Check out the numbers for three QBs:

164/264, 62.1%, 1,821 yards, 6.9 ypa, 14 TDs, 4 INT - QBR: 70.0
136/215, 63.3%, 1,650 yards, 7.7 ypa, 11 TDs, 5 INT - QBR: 66.7
185/283, 65.4%, 2,324 yards, 8.2 ypa, 16 TDs, 2 INT - QBR: 61.8

The top is Wentz, second is Lamar Jackson and the bottom is Rodgers. Even if you add in rushing, that's 576 more yards and 3 more TDs for Jackson (2,226 total yards, 14 TDs and 5 INT). Rodgers and Wentz are each around 100 yards and 1 TD rushing.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #952
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
This has to get everyone in Pittsburgh fired if it holds up right, especially after the Fitzpatrick trade?

Also I’m biased, but I think while Big Cat doesn’t have the sack numbers, he’s quietly done a good job on a dysfunctional team playing a position that doesn’t exactly traditionally put up big sack numbers. He’s got good tackle numbers and I think some of the best pressure metrics among 3-4 ends. If the Giants fan resign him he’s way, way more valuable than what they gave up, IMO.

Forgive me for apparently not following closely enough to kmow, but who is Big Cat?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #953
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I don't know that I will ever understand QBR. Check out the numbers for three QBs:

The top is Wentz, second is Lamar Jackson and the bottom is Rodgers. Even if you add in rushing, that's 576 more yards and 3 more TDs for Jackson (2,226 total yards, 14 TDs and 5 INT). Rodgers and Wentz are each around 100 yards and 1 TD rushing.

Sacks, maybe?
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #954
PilotMan
Head Coach

I wonder if Dalton being benched is related at all to the upcoming trade deadline? Could Dalton be on the block with everyone else in Cincinnati? Shouldn't he?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #955
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Sacks, maybe?
That was my other thinking, but they are all within 1 (AR and Lamar have been sacked 17 times, while Wentz has been sacked 16).

I don't think it's an opponent thing as the Packers have played 5 of their 8 games against top 10 passing Ds (Den, Min, Dal, Chicago and KC). It's a mystery to me. Looking at individual games, this is an example of my issue:

Rodgers vs Det: 24/39, 61.5%, 7.3 ypa, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 1 sack -> 29.3 QBR
Rodgers vs Phi: 34/53, 64.2%, 9.0 ypa, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 1 sack -> 68.7 QBR

Rodgers was much better against Detroit than Philly (IMO). The D was just crap against Philly (half the team was hurt on a Thurs game) and has facing a prevent in much of the second half because GB couldn't stop the Philly run game. Again, these numbers just don't make sense to me.

Last edited by Arles : 10-29-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #956
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's gotta be somewhere in the situational weighting I think.

Look at his game log, which shows both the traditional rating & QBR

By RTG the game two win over Minnesota was his 3rd best game of the year (of 8). By QBR, it was his third worst. The following week vs Denver was his 4th best RTG but his 2nd best QBR.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:19 PM   #957
Edward64
Head Coach

A Hog QB to start this week!

Hopeful for an impressive showing but not betting on it. If I remember correctly, he sucked until his senior year where he was competent.

But what do I know. I would have bet Ryan Mallett would have done a lot better than he really did.

Brandon Allen comfortable in Broncos offense as he prepares to start vs. Browns; Rypien ready to serve as backup if called upon
Quote:
As the Broncos prepare for life without Joe Flacco for at least this weekend, the two players most impacted by the injury, quarterbacks Brandon Allen and Brett Rypien, are ready to take on the responsibilities that now lay before them.

Allen, who will start in Flacco’s place on Sunday against Cleveland, acknowledged on Tuesday that while this opportunity comes under unfortunate circumstances with Flacco sidelined by a neck injury, he’s nevertheless prepared for it.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:13 PM   #958
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
They should invest in other pieces and go for Lawrence in 2021. None of these guys seem like the answer at QB. Interested to see if they move Green today... not sure why they would keep him around. Even if he re-signs it's not like he is worth max money with his injury history.

Don't you wish that evil on Goldilocks - you devil, you.
Tua...that's who they need Tua.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:55 AM   #959
RendeR
Coordinator

Dalton really isn't the problem, the O-line is the real issue. Injuries to the top receivers is the real issue, If you can't block and no one can get open, what is Dalton supposed to do?

I've seen him take far too long to dump the ball, yes, but he's trying to make something out of nothing. When he's not running for his life or being pile driven into the turf by the entire D-line, he's been sharp.

It will be interesting to see how Finlay does with the same situation. If somehow he manages to succeed, then perhaps its time for Andy to move on to another team in the off season.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:32 AM   #960
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
They should invest in other pieces and go for Lawrence in 2021.

100%, but they won't because they are the Bengals. They will draft Justin Herbert and he will be Akili Smith II
Old 10-30-2019, 07:26 AM   #961
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Dalton really isn't the problem, the O-line is the real issue. Injuries to the top receivers is the real issue, If you can't block and no one can get open, what is Dalton supposed to do?

I've seen him take far too long to dump the ball, yes, but he's trying to make something out of nothing. When he's not running for his life or being pile driven into the turf by the entire D-line, he's been sharp.

It will be interesting to see how Finlay does with the same situation. If somehow he manages to succeed, then perhaps its time for Andy to move on to another team in the off season.

Dalton isn't why they are 0-8 but he also clearly isn't the answer and worth any more than tier 3 QB money at this point either. He just doesn't handle the pressure well at all. By that I mean he should just throw the ball out of bounds but instead he is frequently sacked and/or fumbles. Again I don't blame any of this season on Dalton but don't think that Ryan Fitzpatrick or Matt Moore or Teddy Bridgewater would be any less successful with the same line making far less money.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:27 AM   #962
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
100%, but they won't because they are the Bengals. They will draft Justin Herbert and he will be Akili Smith II

Akili Smith was just 25 years ahead of his time.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:29 AM   #963
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Don't you wish that evil on Goldilocks - you devil, you.
Tua...that's who they need Tua.

They honestly probably just need a bunch of OL picks and then use a 5th or 6th rounder on some sort of gunslinger from the Big 12 or Pac 12. Of course they will instead pick Tua or Lawrence as a rental for 5 years until they go somewhere else and have success.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:52 AM   #964
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

2020 is the Akili Smith draft phase of the 90s Bengals. They'll make a surprise QB pick that turns out to be a disaster.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:39 AM   #965
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Perhaps my all-time worst sports take: I was at a sports bar, and they had this game on: Cincinnati Bengals at Cleveland Browns - October 10th, 1999 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

and I caught the 4th quarter or so, and I watched Akili Smith lead the Bengals down for the winning score, and he looked decisive, and he stood tall in the pocket, and he was fist pumping and high-fiving teammates and doing the whole leader thing, and I thought to myself, "Man, this guy is going to be a great QB in the league. He's got all the intangibles you want, and he just looks strong out there."
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:56 PM   #966
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Had a monster dynasty with Akili Smith in the EA Sports FOF.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:38 PM   #967
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I was going to say, didn't Akili Smith flash some brilliance early? You can't have been the only one who thought that albion.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:33 AM   #968
RendeR
Coordinator

Akili could run and he could throw the most amazing deep ball I've ever seen, but he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn under 20 yards downfield or past the line of scrimmage....
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:50 PM   #969
cuervo72
Head Coach

Good coaching, Kingsbury!
Old 10-31-2019, 09:04 PM   #970
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well I guess they were not going to win anyway...
Old 10-31-2019, 09:46 PM   #971
tarcone
Coordinator

What was that TO at the end of the half about? I cannot figure it out

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:22 PM   #972
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Terrible challenge and waste of a time-out.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:24 PM   #973
bhlloy
Coordinator

Kingsbury is not a good HC
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:26 PM   #974
stevew
Hall Of Famer

All the Trent Williams stuff coming out is crazy.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:48 AM   #975
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
All the Trent Williams stuff coming out is crazy.

Sounds eerily similar to the Kelechi Osemele vs NY Jets situation except ya know...cancer.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #976
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

The McVay thing got a lot of teams to turn guys who should have been their hot new offensive coordinator into their hot new head coach five years too early.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:15 AM   #977
miked
College Starter

I can't believe there is a player or coach that would go to Washington. What a joke of a franchise. And I'm a Jets fan!!
Old 11-01-2019, 07:32 AM   #978
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I can't believe there is a player or coach that would go to Washington. What a joke of a franchise. And I'm a Jets fan!!

The Ringer NFL show guys were talking about this on Thursday. Other teams are poorly run, but they seem to be trying to win and/or cater to their fans. They just might not be good at it.

Washington is the only team that seems to have an openly antagonistic relationship with its fans and players.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 11-01-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #979
molson
General Manager

God damn it Jimmy Garoppolo is handsome.

I don't even know if he's a good QB. His opponents are probably just distracted.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #980
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Just comparing him to guys like LaFleur and Reich, I think having a couple seasons where you run an NFL offense (and watch a head coach) before becoming head coach is really important. I think Kliff is a very promising offensive mind, but I'm not sure he is comfortable with everything you need to do to be a good head coach. His defense, special teams and in-game decisions have been all over the map.

He looks like a guy who could have benefited from being an OC and watching another head coach run things for a few years. I think he will be OK long term, but he's having a lot of growing pains right now.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:37 AM   #981
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I don't even know if he's a good QB. His opponents are probably just distracted.

Lol... they had him on an interview before the game. I don't usually stop at work when I see a handsome dude, but I saw him on TV and told myself, "That just ain't fair."

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #982
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

In college or pro.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #983
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Lol... they had him on an interview before the game. I don't usually stop at work when I see a handsome dude, but I saw him on TV and told myself, "That just ain't fair."

It's so disappointing (to me and me alone I know), that he won't follow Brady....

Patriot-drafted QBs are now 21-2 this season. They just weren't able to time those decisions just right.

They could have had Lamar Jackson at #31 too (instead of the OK but replaceable Sony Michel), but they probably would have ended up unloading him for cheap also.

Last edited by molson : 11-01-2019 at 12:28 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #984
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I have a new request for HoN...
Old 11-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #985
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just comparing him to guys like LaFleur and Reich, I think having a couple seasons where you run an NFL offense (and watch a head coach) before becoming head coach is really important. I think Kliff is a very promising offensive mind, but I'm not sure he is comfortable with everything you need to do to be a good head coach. His defense, special teams and in-game decisions have been all over the map.

He looks like a guy who could have benefited from being an OC and watching another head coach run things for a few years. I think he will be OK long term, but he's having a lot of growing pains right now.

No he is different and worse.
He had no NFL pedigree and was already a FAILED college head coach.
KK running an NFL team is twilight zone area unbelievable. Like I truly think the Cardinals owner's wife must have a crush on KK and the owner is ...into that...
There is no other explanation.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:22 PM   #986
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

As someone who is around alot of Texas Techies, I can confirm what CU is saying. It would have been hugely beneficial to him and USC had he gone to LA to run their offense for a year or 2 and then re-assessed things after some success with those kind of athletes.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:27 PM   #987
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And what does it say about the Bengals that Kingsbury would be an obvious upgrade at HC?
Old 11-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #988
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
No he is different and worse.
He had no NFL pedigree and was already a FAILED college head coach.
KK running an NFL team is twilight zone area unbelievable. Like I truly think the Cardinals owner's wife must have a crush on KK and the owner is ...into that...
There is no other explanation.

Well there is one explanation. Remember?

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:40 PM   #989
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, the NFL is a copycat league and it’s no coincidence that two of the sadsack franchises have tried to take a shortcut and hope that they can hire a charismatic young coach and hope some McVay pixie dust has rubbed off on them.

To be fair to the Cards you can see what they were going for with Kingsbury/Murray, but for the love of god don’t give him the head coaching position when he fell flat on his face his one college HC job. It’s just not going to end well for anyone.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #990
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Finally talking about some good looking guys on here
Old 11-01-2019, 10:48 PM   #991
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
It's so disappointing (to me and me alone I know), that he won't follow Brady....

Patriot-drafted QBs are now 21-2 this season. They just weren't able to time those decisions just right.
Shurg, he's a free agent in 2023, maybe he still can.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:54 AM   #992
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I don't know if it is the *biggest* SNF/MNF matchup that we've had recently. But I am more interested in Pats-Ravens than I have been in a non-Saints primetime game in a while.

Pats are on a historically good pace. Ravens have one of the few successful unique offensive styles in 2019. Both coaches are excellent and will come to play for this matchup.

My gut tells me the Pats win and cover the 3.5. But I'm excited to see it either way.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 11-03-2019 at 05:55 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #993
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Just as we are recovering from the Mark Davis HoN ...
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #994
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Just as we are recovering from the Mark Davis HoN ...

I may never recover from that
Old 11-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #995
Atocep
Coordinator

I love watching Trubisky stare at open receivers and then take a sack.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #996
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I love watching Trubisky stare at open receivers and then take a sack.

One of the reasons I don't fault Nagy very much in this debacle. His plays are generating open receivers. Trubisky is just not finding them, and/or sailing passes 20 yards off target.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:38 PM   #997
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

And Jacoby Brissett is out at least temporarily.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #998
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

And Brian Hoyer throws a TD on his first pass as a Colt
Old 11-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #999
Atocep
Coordinator

How many QBs in the NFL could we estimate are better than Trubisky? Over or under 45?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #1000
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
How many QBs in the NFL could we estimate are better than Trubisky? Over or under 45?

Definitely take the under. Take a look at this list. I'd say he's probably no better than 35 or so. There are about 10 guys he's debatable with. So really, as high as 35 but not lower than 45.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote