Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #951
Bad-example
College Starter

The previews look great. I have extremely high expectations for this. Can't...friggin'...wait.

Don't really like the casting for The Hound or Jon Snow.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #952
MrBug708
Head Coach

Watching Larry King sign off of his TV made me think that he'd play an excellent Walder Frey
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #953
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Crapshoot: Yes. I enjoy both genres, but probably more SF than Fantasy. I get annoyed with Fantasy when it gets too contrived, trite and annoying, but this series isn't like that. If there's such as thing as "Hard" Fantasy (as there is "Hard" SF - i.e. straightforward plot and reality, though futurist, SF), this is probably it.

In fact, now that I think about it, I'd say there are a good few similarities between this and the work of Alastair Reynolds (Revelation Space, Chasm City), who I've read recently.

4 years later, but I just devoured the series. Goddamnit Martin - give me a Dance With Dragons!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:14 PM   #954
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dola, I read all 4 books over a week and a half period - Christmas break is helpful, as is being sick. Wow. So many thoughts, but here is some of what I think:

Spoiler

Last edited by Crapshoot : 12-31-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #955
MrBug708
Head Coach

Your fourth point was interesting as I am re-reading the fourth book. Kevan Lannister flat out told Cersei that she wasn't her father and that he was going him. She never thought he would actually turn down her offer of the King's Hand. She slowly learned that all of her "power" stemmed from being the daughter of Tywin, the mother of the "King's Children" and somewhat of Jaime's sister. People did things solely for that, not of any respect of who she actually was.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:16 PM   #956
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

I don't think I ever saw Cersei as a master manipulator in the first place. She pretty much had Sansa fall into her lap and confess all of her father's plans in AGoT. She was also botching things up enough that Tywin had to send Tyrion to reign her and Joffrey in. I don't think her character changed so much as we got to see more of her once she became a pointer of view character in AFfC.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:00 AM   #957
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

She was just someone who thought she was a master manipulator, but nothing really stood out to me either.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #958
3ric
College Starter

Yes, Cersei is truly someone who believes she's smarter than she really is. It just became more obvious in her POV chapters.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #959
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Right, I'm saying that in AGOT, that wasn't obvious at all but once we saw her POV, we saw that wasn't capable of playing with the big boys (aka, her Father). At this point, Prince Dorne / Littlefinger / Varys seem like the most "manipulative" characters.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #960
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

HBO has announced that "Game of Thrones" will start on Sunday April 17.

They also released a bunch of new stills:

HBO - Making Game of Thrones
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #961
MrBug708
Head Coach

Woot!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #962
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Here is a link to the latest trailer for the HBO show. (Sorry, I can't seem to embed video. I've tried many times.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ5p18wIQEI

It looks super sweet.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #963
cougarfreak
College Starter

Any idea how many episodes it will be?
Old 01-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #964
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Any idea how many episodes it will be?

I think 10.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #965
Edward64
Head Coach

Been seeing the GOT trailers ... really excited about this one, ready for Apr to see if its any good (it has to be!). Will have to get the blu-ray verison for Christmas.

Been checking GRRM's website now and then, no real news on the next book that I've found ... anyone have an update?

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-19-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #966
MrBug708
Head Coach

Old 02-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #967
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Been seeing the GOT trailers ... really excited about this one, ready for Apr to see if its any good (it has to be!). Will have to get the blu-ray verison for Christmas.

Been checking GRRM's website now and then, no real news on the next book that I've found ... anyone have an update?

No, there's nothing out there. The most you get is Martin commenting on finishing some chapter or re-writing some other chapter or something like that.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #968
kurtism
High School Varsity

A Dance with Dragons Comes Out on July 12th, 2011 - Topless Robot
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #969
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

SWEET!!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #970
MrBug708
Head Coach

Awesome. I hope it's HBO pressure
Old 03-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #971
wade moore
lolzcat

Argh, not on Amazon pre-order yet .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #972
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Am I paranoid when I say that I'll believe it when the living tome is in my hands?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #973
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Am I paranoid when I say that I'll believe it when the living tome is in my hands?

I think it means you're a long-time follower of this series.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #974
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post

By my thinking, we get one book per President. Storm of Swords (or whatever Book 3 was, I get the titles of 2 and 3 confused after this long) came out during the Clinton administration, A Feast For Crows came out during Bush, and now Dance of the Dragons during Obama.

Just one more reason to vote against Obama in the next election.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #975
Schmidty
Coordinator

I honestly don't believe it unless I see it from the source.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #976
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I honestly don't believe it unless I see it from the source.

Seek and ye shall find, Sparty.

Not A Blog

Update - A Song of Ice and Fire - George R. R. Martin's Official Website
Old 03-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #977
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post

Indeed. Fool me once...
Old 03-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #978
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

I still refuse to believe it until I feel it in my hands.

And the new cover sucks.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #979
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

From his "Update":

Quote:
No. Sorry. Not done yet.

I'm close, though. Watch this space. When the book is done, you will read it here.

Meanwhile... there is news. Big news. The end is
in sight, at long long last, and we're close enough so that my editors and publishers at Bantam Spectra have set an actual publication date.

He just wants me to be sad.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #980
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Awesome. I hope it's HBO pressure

No question. If he were to miss this date and not take advantage of the initial groundswell of popularity, he would miss out on some serious hardcover sales.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #981
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm looking forward to this on HBO. Have any of you guys checked out Camelot on 101/Encore? I DVRed it and watched it last night. It was pretty solid.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #982
bronconick
College Starter

Huh. Probably getting it from the library. Whenever it actually comes out, which like everyone else, I'll believe it when it's sitting on a shelf.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #983
Peregrine
Pro Starter

New trailer as well.

Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #984
Autumn
Head Coach

Okay, I just realized something which probably was obvious to everyone, but for some reason never occurred to me until re-reading the first book. Thoughts for those who have read all the books in the spoiler.

Spoiler
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #985
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Okay, I just realized something which probably was obvious to everyone, but for some reason never occurred to me until re-reading the first book. Thoughts for those who have read all the books in the spoiler.

Spoiler

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #986
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Spoiler

/tk

Yup. With the one who held her.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-06-2011 at 12:30 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #987
kurtism
High School Varsity

Amazon.com: A Dance with Dragons (Song of Ice and Fire) (9780553801477): George R.R. Martin: Books
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #988
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

1008 pages!
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #989
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post

Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 03-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #990
3ric
College Starter

Oh, cool - Amazon.co.uk just sent me an update concerning my "Dance of Dragons" pre-order I've had since October 2009. Good to know it's still in the system.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #991
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Not sure if anyone else has this, but right around holiday shopping, I found a A Song of Ice and Fire series 2011 calendar, with artistic renderings of 12 of the different castles in the series. Pretty cool. January was Winterfell and February was Storm's End. This month is my favorite so far, The Aerie. It looks bad ass. I am actually avoiding looking ahead so I can enjoy each new one each month.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-09-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #992
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Not sure if anyone else has this, but right around holiday shopping, I found a A Song of Ice and Fire series 2011 calendar, with artistic renderings of 12 of the different castles in the series. Pretty cool. January was Winterfell and February was Storm's End. This month is my favorite so far, The Aerie. It looks bad ass. I am actually avoiding looking ahead so I can enjoy each new one each month.

It's a pretty sweet calendar. I have it. I still lament the travesty that was the 2010 calendar. It looked like it really had some excellent art work.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #993
MrBug708
Head Coach

Old 03-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #994
MrBug708
Head Coach

Old 03-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #995
cougarfreak
College Starter

The more I see these, the more I think I'll be ordering HBO just to watch it.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #996
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

News today.

DWD just might be done.

GRRM posted a dead King Kong (which apparently is his metaphor for the book) on his blog earlier.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #997
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Awesome! Hoping that's for real.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #999
cschex
High School Varsity

As much as I've enjoyed the TV show, nothing is going to compare to having DWD in my hands in mid-July. Awesome news!
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #1000
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Awesome! Hoping that's for real.

Again summing up my thoughts nicely. Looking forward to savoring Book 5.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote