Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #951
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't think it should even get that far. They shouldn't approve the song choices to begin with. I didn't see last week, so I can't comment on how Blake/Chris S. were treated compared to Melinda/Lakisha this week.

Heck, just go to allmusic.com and use their genre definition and list of bands, and if someone wants to deviate, deal with it on a song-by-song basis. But if you want a British Invasion theme, stick to it. British Invasion has a specific meaning beyond "song written by a British person during the 60s."

Last week they told Brandon, "You need to make it your own." 30 mins (or so) later they tell Blake and Chris Sligh that they ruined the songs when they tried to make it their own (because they were forced to do Diana Ross songs).

That would be the ideal situation. However, if it doesn't happen, the judges should be calling it out.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #952
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I know they have rejected songs that haven't cleared, but it seems pretty obvious they allow contestants to stretch for genre. Some are pretty easy to check, like a Bon Jovi song or something. But others are open to interpretation and they seem to let pretty much anything slide. Which is where Blake and Chris S. were probably more harmed than anything versus Melinda and Lakisha, because the judges called the guys out for what they did to the Diana Ross songs, while Melinda and Lakisha got free passes for not really stepping outside their comfort zone.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #953
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Research psychologists say you can't fake a smile. It's too complex a mechanism. Melinda seems genuine in her reactions, and that's an important part of her on-stage personna.

I don't think she's particularly shy, that's just an interpretation of her behavior that's convenient for the mass audience (much like an idiot sportswriter calling his favorite star player "clutch"). She is, however, a polished professional singer in an amateur competition. She stands out for that reason, and her pleasant personality helps fuel the votes. I think she'll win in the end.

I agree with that. I think she is probably genuinely nice, but I do think she is much more polished with presentation than she lets on as well. The whole bit a few weeks ago where she talked a bit on camera with her choreographer and fashion consultant showed that as well.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #954
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smWQRXG7sHg

Edited to give a better quality version.

Schwing!

I am thinking she looks more now like a younger brunette version of Nancy O'Dell from Access Hollywood. Also, one of my faves.

hxxp://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/nancy-odell-cinderella-man-los-angeles-premiere---red-carpet-1SOaHV.jpg
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #955
Ksyrup

Apparently, the songwriting contest is being shelved indefinitely.

So now we can look forward to, as Butch Walker says, yet another rewrite of I Believe I Can Fly for the finale.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-21-2007, 07:52 PM   #956
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I think you are one of only a small number of people. That, as I believe Wade said, is my biggest problem with her. Is she the best singer? Yes. Do I care anything about what she sings? No. I'd probably be more likely to buy a Sanjaya album than a Melinda album. IF she wins she might have the worst selling Idol album yet.

Look, I'm not a huge fan of Melinda's songs either, but let's not be hasty...

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #957
RedKingGold
College Starter

Stephanie = Gone. Not really a shocker, four divas this season was just one too many. I'm kinda surprised bald rocker dude wasn't in the bottom two.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:46 PM   #958
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Stephanie = Gone. Not really a shocker, four divas this season was just one too many. I'm kinda surprised bald rocker dude wasn't in the bottom two.

I was a little suprised too, but if you follow the DialIdol stuff, they had him as safe.

Stephanie is not a big loss, she was a noncontender in my mind and sufferred from being the worst of the 4 people in her genre.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:53 PM   #959
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

No surprise at all and we get the Sanjaya train wreck for another week
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:56 PM   #960
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
No surprise at all and we get the Sanjaya train wreck for another week

I predict Sanjaya will be the fourth or fifth one eliminated, meaning that we'll likely have another two to three weeks of Sanjayamania.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:59 PM   #961
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I agree. I think alot of the girls are stealing each others votes.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:20 PM   #962
TexasT
Mascot

Quote:
Here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smWQRXG7sHg

Edited to give a better quality version.

Thanks, Matt. She's so hot!
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:50 PM   #963
Ksyrup

Not only did we get rid of one warbler, the other one was also in the bottom two. Score! And that was supposedly his best performance. I hope he goes next.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:02 AM   #964
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

Look, I'm not a huge fan of Melinda's songs either, but let's not be hasty...

You have no taste, and you have no concept of music, and that's obvious.

Thanks for crap like Nickleback.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:55 AM   #965
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Not only did we get rid of one warbler, the other one was also in the bottom two. Score! And that was supposedly his best performance. I hope he goes next.

I hate you and your anti-Richardson!

Who was the other in the bottom three? I didn't get to see the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:35 AM   #966
Ksyrup

They only gave the bottom 2. They're looking for more and more inventive ways to throw us off, so tonight they had them stand up as groups of 3 to tell them they were or were not the bottom 3, and when they went through the first 3 sets of 3 (the last being Gina, Sanjaya, and Haley, which was a pretty good bet to be the right answer) with no one being in the bottom 3, Ryan told Stephanie and Chris R. to stand and that they were the bottom 2. Tricksters!
Old 03-22-2007, 06:38 AM   #967
Ksyrup

BTW, was anyone else as taken by how out of touch Peter Noone seemed while singing his song as I was? With his huge head, the way he kept swaying back and forth, and the general child-like quality of his performance, I couldn't help think that he was channeling Herman Munster during that performance. It also seemed like about 100 years, not 40, have passed since that kind of "no worries" type music was popular. To most people, Herman's Hermits is the soundtrack to that montage from Naked Gun where Nielson and Priscilla Presley fall in love.

Peter Noone is what John Lennon would have been had Bob Dylan not introduced the Beatles to drugs that one day in NYC.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-22-2007 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:42 AM   #968
Fouts
College Starter

Peter Noone and Lulu sang tonight. While I knew Peter Noone from Herman's Hermits, I had no idea who Lulu was until she sang "To Sir, With Love". Even then, I only remember the song from the movie (years later on cable).

Sanjaya not even in the bottom two. He picks a pretty easy song to remember, and jumps around some. Any knucklehead could have done that performance.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:44 AM   #969
Ksyrup

Sanjaya had to make the top 10 - now AI is guaranteed sellouts of the tour that will be infested with Tweens. Disney is probably kicking themselves that they didn't discover this goofball first.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:45 AM   #970
Flasch186
Coordinator

discover?

Thats like looking back in the toilet and going, "I dont remember eating that." Discoveries can be overrated.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:53 AM   #971
Ksyrup

There is little doubt that he is a moneymaker if marketed to the right target audience. As sad as that might seem.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:08 AM   #972
Flasch186
Coordinator

perhaps in the same vein as William Hung but by no means in an admirable way, no?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:23 AM   #973
Ksyrup

Yes and no. I don't think he's exactly like William Hung because he does have some talent, it's just overwhelmed by his lack of maturity, experience, stage presence, and general way he acts. But that childishness is a plus for marketers of non-threatening entertainment. Honestly, assuming they can straighten (no pun intended) him out, I think I'd rather have my 7 year old listen to him than, say, Hilary Duff. He seems like the stepping stone between grade school-type entertainment and high school entertainment. And as a father, that's perfectly acceptable to me.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-22-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:24 AM   #974
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Yes and no. I don't think he's exactly like William Hung because he does have some talent, it's just overwhelmed by his lack of maturity, experience, stage presence, and general way he acts. But that childishness is a plus for marketers of non-threatening entertainment. Honestly, assuming they can straighten (no pun intended) him out, I think I'd rather have my 7 year old listen to him than, say, Hilary Duff. He seems like the stepping stone between grade school-type entertainment and high school entertainment. And as a father, that's perfectly acceptable to me.

My impression has always been that his voice is not that bad - it's just the delivery, stage presence, etc. that have suffered.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-22-2007, 08:29 AM   #975
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
discover?

Thats like looking back in the toilet and going, "I dont remember eating that." Discoveries can be overrated.

Almost sprayed the monitor and keyboard w/ Diet Pepsi.....
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:34 AM   #976
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
My impression has always been that his voice is not that bad - it's just the delivery, stage presence, etc. that have suffered.

I think most of us were generally positive about him during the auditions. That was before we saw him perform on a real stage, though.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:35 AM   #977
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I think most of us were generally positive about him during the auditions. That was before we saw him perform on a real stage, though.

Right. I think I'm supporting you here . There's something to work with there if he were with like say a Disney. He's got a good voice, they could mold him into that Disney image pretty easily and work on his "stage presence".

Quote:
Old 03-22-2007, 09:01 AM   #978
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
discover?

RIP
Old 03-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #979
MJ4H
Coordinator

1) Lulu freaking ruled

2) How can 9 out of 11 people not be in the bottom 3?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:09 AM   #980
Crim
College Benchwarmer

MJ4H - Post #966.

RIP

Last edited by Crim : 03-22-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:11 AM   #981
Ksyrup

Quote:
1) Lulu freaking ruled

2) How can 9 out of 11 people not be in the bottom 3?

Technically, they didn't say they were going to tell us who was in the bottom 3. All they did was tell each grouping of 3 that they were not the bottom 3. That doesn't mean one or two couldn't theoretically be in the bottom 3, just that those particular 3 people were not, collectively, the bottom 3. Obviously, 1 of those 9 got the third-least votes, but they're not telling.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:49 AM   #982
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

And we (at least I) underestimated his sister's...talents...based on Tuesday night's show.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:32 AM   #983
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And we (at least I) underestimated his sister's...talents...based on Tuesday night's show.

Same here - made me do a double take.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:37 AM   #984
Ksyrup

Next week's guest is Gwen Stefani, and the theme is 90's songs. I guess this means Melinda will be able to sing something from Rent, Cats, Hairspray, Beauty and the Beast, or Lion King, huh?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:40 AM   #985
Ksyrup

I found these comments from MJ at MJ's Big Blog particularly interesting...

Chris Richardson and Stephanie Edwards are left. Ryan asks them both to stand. “You are the bottom two this week.” Ryan tells us. The bottom two what, Ryan? Notice he never mentions the word “vote.” It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that Stephanie is probably going home–a victim of vote splitting between the 3 R&B singers and 2 lackluster performances in a row.

Chris Richardson? Just thrown into the mix for drama. No way this kid is actually in the bottom. Not after Tuesday night’s personal best performance and tons of praise from the judges. It’s widely rumored that the producers get creative with the bottom three for the sake of good TeeVee. They don’t screw with who actually gets eliminated–but everyone else is fair game.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #986
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Technically, they didn't say they were going to tell us who was in the bottom 3. All they did was tell each grouping of 3 that they were not the bottom 3. That doesn't mean one or two couldn't theoretically be in the bottom 3, just that those particular 3 people were not, collectively, the bottom 3. Obviously, 1 of those 9 got the third-least votes, but they're not telling.

I was being a smart-ass. I guess you can play, too, though.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #987
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

You guys just weren't paying attention.

(and apparently, she worked at Hooters?)
Old 03-22-2007, 11:14 AM   #988
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
You guys just weren't paying attention.

(and apparently, she worked at Hooters?)

she certainly is qualified
Old 03-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #989
Ksyrup

Quote:
I was being a smart-ass. I guess you can play, too, though.

I couldn't tell. When I saw the technicality your statement raised, I was obliged to answer as a lawyer.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #990
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I found these comments from MJ at MJ's Big Blog particularly interesting...

Chris Richardson and Stephanie Edwards are left. Ryan asks them both to stand. “You are the bottom two this week.” Ryan tells us. The bottom two what, Ryan? Notice he never mentions the word “vote.” It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that Stephanie is probably going home–a victim of vote splitting between the 3 R&B singers and 2 lackluster performances in a row.

Chris Richardson? Just thrown into the mix for drama. No way this kid is actually in the bottom. Not after Tuesday night’s personal best performance and tons of praise from the judges. It’s widely rumored that the producers get creative with the bottom three for the sake of good TeeVee. They don’t screw with who actually gets eliminated–but everyone else is fair game.
Perhaps I'm naive, but that just looks like someone looking for drama where there isn't any. Does Ryan really have to use the word "vote" to get the point across? Maybe Chris didn't really finish 10th in the voting, but I don't have much reason to believe that. If I'm falling for the producers' tricks, so be it, but that blurb you quoted just kinda looks like somebody hunting for monsters under the bed.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #991
MJ4H
Coordinator

cue bucc
Old 03-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #992
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Perhaps I'm naive, but that just looks like someone looking for drama where there isn't any. Does Ryan really have to use the word "vote" to get the point across? Maybe Chris didn't really finish 10th in the voting, but I don't have much reason to believe that. If I'm falling for the producers' tricks, so be it, but that blurb you quoted just kinda looks like somebody hunting for monsters under the bed.

Agreed. For one, Chris isn't good. And you can make the same argument that he is splitting the "fairly good looking white boy" vote with Blake. I wouldn't have been surprised if he was eliminated. Anyway, I agree that this is probably semantics and someone looking for something when there's really nothing there.

Hell, Ryan could have said they were in the top 2, and that wouldn't have meant anything different if it was a list of people who had received the least number of votes.

edit: Also, I've only been watching for this season and last, but I don't ever remember Ryan saying "you are in the bottom 3 in the number of votes received." Hasn't it just been a very undramatic "Brandon.....you are in the bottom 3" all season?

Last edited by Logan : 03-22-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:52 AM   #993
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

To be fair, I've had the same thought as the person who posted that when I hear (or don't hear) certain words used. It may be nothing, but if something ever got out, this is also a way to cover themselves after the fact - "That particular time, I didn't actually say these were the bottom 2 vote-getters like I did in Week X, which was true." Might be my legal training to assign significance to minutia like that at work, who knows. I'd be interested to know the genesis of the rumors. The "rumors" about how they screw with the auditions (once claiming all of them were in a particular city and none of them were) turned out to be true, so I'm not giving them a break just because there's no specific info to suggest this is definitely happening.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #994
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
edit: Also, I've only been watching for this season and last, but I don't ever remember Ryan saying "you are in the bottom 3 in the number of votes received." Hasn't it just been a very undramatic "Brandon.....you are in the bottom 3" all season?

No, I'm quite sure that sometimes - no always - he references bottom 3 votes at least once. When he didn't specifically say that last night, the thought crossed my mind, and then MJ picked up on it as well.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:49 PM   #995
Ksyrup

Quote:
Next week's guest is Gwen Stefani, and the theme is 90's songs. I guess this means Melinda will be able to sing something from Rent, Cats, Hairspray, Beauty and the Beast, or Lion King, huh?

Just to update this, the theme for next week is not restricted to the 90s, it's just 'pop.'
Old 03-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #996
MJ4H
Coordinator

She could be singing the phone book for all I care.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #997
Ksyrup

There are very few vocalists I would be willing to say that about. It's all about the music for me; the vocals can enhance great music but could never be the only reason I listen.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #998
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yeah, me too, usually. Really the only vocalist I can say that about honestly (and I mean literally singing the phone book, I would be enraptured) is Chole Agnew.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:14 PM   #999
Ksyrup

She's that teen Celtic singer, right? I've heard the name but don't think I've ever heard her sing.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:18 PM   #1000
Ksyrup

hxxp://www.myspace.com/starvationforsanjaya

Starvation for Sanjaya

Hi, my name is J. I have always been a big fan of American Idol, so like many people I was excited for the 6th season to start this year.

Aside from the initial debacle with contestant Antonella Barba, season 6 was starting to look like it may be actually very good. The big voices of Melinda Doolittle and LaKisha Jones, the innovative styling's of Blake Lewis, and the smooth R&B of Phil Stacey are just a few of the hopefuls with immense potential.

However, there is one hinge in this broad spectrum of talent this year ... Sanjaya Malakar.

We have no problems with Sanjaya personally, he seems like a very personable and charming young man. However, he does NOT belong on American Idol. The judges faltered with their decision to place him in the 24, and American Idol voters have done even worse by keeping him on.

So until the day that Sanjya is no longer American Idol, I will be going on a hunger strike. This means I will refuse to eat anything until American Idol voters wise up, and stop voting Sanjya through each week.

*UPDATE* 03/22/07

I am mid-way through my 6th day of fasting and I am determined not to give up until Sanjaya is off American Idol. I would like to go on the record right now that despite our initial claim, and after going through it myself, we not recommend long-term starvation for anyone. If you choose to do so, please do so at your own risk and digression.

If anyone is looking to lose weight or get fit, there are many things you can do. Personally, I would recommend Fitness-Singles.com, a site that I've had a profile on for a while now.

And yes, she's a fat chick.