Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #951
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Has this been posted yet? Gold. Indians.

Between the rant and the physical similarity, I'm half expecting him to belt out "MILD THING! YOU MAKE MY BUTT STING!"
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #952
kingfc22
Head Coach

Hadn't seen this posted yet.

Will Farrell was dressed up as a Venezuelan pitcher named Billy Ray Rojo Johnson and the crowd and opposing team were not aware.

Hilarious!

Round Rock's Celebrity Pitcher - ESPN Video - ESPN
Old 05-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #953
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

hahaha, thats awesome!
Old 05-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #954
kingfc22
Head Coach

And the bullpen blows the 3rd straight Lincecum outing. Fan-freaking-tastic
Old 05-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #955
JS19
College Prospect

Crazy play in LF on that Bay flyball. Shea never had wind like I've seen at Citi, can get pretty intense.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #956
JS19
College Prospect

11 walks so far by the Mets today, just can't win games doing that.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #957
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Better watch that Will Ferrell video while you still can. Looks like someone's working to get the videos removed (had to go down Google a few links before I found one where it hadn't been removed yet--an LA Times blog).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #958
JS19
College Prospect

Bay with another flyball that the wind catches and gets a double as it falls between Uribe and Rowand. I can understand how the LF missed the first one, not saying it shouldn't have been caught, but the wind just took it. This one definitely should have been caught.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #959
JS19
College Prospect

and D. Wright immediately strikes out looking after I post that (for the 4th time, actually the 8th time in his last 8 official AB's, ouch) with the tying run on 2nd. I have never seen him attack (verbally) an ump like that and is tossed right out of the game. If the Mets can tie it, they gave no position players left on the bench and would have to put a pitcher in the field.

Last edited by JS19 : 05-09-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #960
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Homer Bailey's end of 2009 must have been a mirage.

Or perhaps it's because in 2008 he pitched 147 2/3 innings and in 2009 they cranked up him up to the tune of 203 innings, most of them coming in games that meant nothing. Sound just a bit like Volquez at all?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #961
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Dallas Braden is doing something pretty cool, watch the A's game NOW if you can.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #962
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Dallas Braden is doing something pretty cool, watch the A's game NOW if you can.

indeed, hooray for MLB Extra Innings!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #963
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I love MLB.TV!

He did it!
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #964
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Amazing ! Wow I love it. Buehrle and Braden = Crafty lefties with perfect games! (both against the Rays )
Old 05-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #965
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

That was really a treat! Not as dramatic as Buehrle's last season but just as amazing! I swear, I always get goosebumps watching the last inning of a perfecto!

you could tell he was nervous when he went to 3-1 against that last batter haha!

Last edited by k0ruptr : 05-09-2010 at 05:19 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #966
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

aww, woah that is a touching moment with hi s Grandma.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #967
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yo Arod, could you tell us how Braden ass taste?
Old 05-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #968
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Seriously...he must have channeled his hatred for AROD. I think it's the Kia commercial on right now...."How ya like me now?"
Old 05-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #969
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

yeah, i was thinking the same thing.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #970
korme
Go Reds

I was at the Reds/Cubs showdown today and was excited when Leake was perfect through 5. That ended shortly, obviously.

Awesome to see Braden do it today. Touching moment with his grandma.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #971
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Jesus H. Christ, Dusty. Why would you let the starting pitcher bat in the bottom of the seventh and then after he reaches base on an unsuccessful sacrifice, then pull him for a pinch runner?

I swear Markus would lose every customer he has if there were typical Dusty decisions on OOTP.

Last edited by JPhillips : 05-09-2010 at 06:31 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #972
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Jesus H. Christ, Dusty. Why would you let the starting pitcher bat in the bottom of the seventh and then after he reaches base on an unsuccessful sacrifice, then pull him for a pinch runner?

I swear Markus would lose every customer he has if there were typical Dusty decisions on OOTP.

Nevermind the fact he didn't pinch run for his slow ass catcher who led off with a double and watched as he was promptly thrown out on the bad bunt. The more I watch the more I'm baffled.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #973
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Nice to see the Yankees stepping up to generate reason to actually hate them again.

After Braden's historic accomplishment, The San Francisco Chronicle's Susan Slusser, through her Twitter account, posted: "Dallas Braden's grandmother is here and speaking to the press. She says, and I'm not joking, 'Stick it, A-Rod.'"

As Braden celebrated the feat, Sunday night's Yankee starter, A.J. Burnett, was alone in the Fenway clubhouse and watched Braden. As Braden hugged an older looking woman, Burnett said out loud, to no one in particular, "Grandma, don't cross my mound."

Reason #17,436 that pitchers should have to hit.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #974
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:

He makes a lot of dumbass decisions. This is fact.

I didn't really hate the decision to leave him in to bat, though. The pinch running shit is fucking stupid, yes. But Leake is not a bad hitter.

I mean, he could have brought Cairo in... who apparently is in relationship with Dusty.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #975
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Nice to see the Yankees stepping up to generate reason to actually hate them again.

After Braden's historic accomplishment, The San Francisco Chronicle's Susan Slusser, through her Twitter account, posted: "Dallas Braden's grandmother is here and speaking to the press. She says, and I'm not joking, 'Stick it, A-Rod.'"

As Braden celebrated the feat, Sunday night's Yankee starter, A.J. Burnett, was alone in the Fenway clubhouse and watched Braden. As Braden hugged an older looking woman, Burnett said out loud, to no one in particular, "Grandma, don't cross my mound."

Reason #17,436 that pitchers should have to hit.

It was a joke. What Burnett said was, "Grandma, I love you, but don't cross my mound."
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #976
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
He makes a lot of dumbass decisions. This is fact.

I didn't really hate the decision to leave him in to bat, though. The pinch running shit is fucking stupid, yes. But Leake is not a bad hitter.

I mean, he could have brought Cairo in... who apparently is in relationship with Dusty.

Leaving him to hit was fine. Bunting Hernandez to third was the right play and as bad of a bunt as it was, a normal runner would have got there and the Cubs either face 1st and 3rd with no outs or a runner on 3rd with one out. Because he's a moron, they faced runner on 1st and one out. Yet, somehow it works out for Cincy.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #977
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Joey Votto
Old 05-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #978
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
It was a joke. What Burnett said was, "Grandma, I love you, but don't cross my mound."

Don't blame me, talk to espn's columnist & to the AP.

Still, better idea that Burnett enjoy a nice hot cup of STFU.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #979
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good to see the Royals finding yet another way to lose. Failed to notice that a runner never tagged up, which would have ended the inning. Instead, the Rangers score two more runs in the inning and the Royals lose by, you guessed it, two runs.

Ugh.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #980
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

These quotes speak for themselves:

Meanwhile, in Oakland, Braden grandmother actually told reporters, "Stick it, A-Rod."

A-Rod took the high road.

"I’ve learned in my career that it’s always much better to be recognized for some of the great things you do on the field. Good for him. He threw a perfect game, and even better, he beat the Rays," he said.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #981
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I agree, though possibly not in the way you are inferring.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #982
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Wait, I didn't think ARod took the high road at all. I thought he made some comment about not wanting to extend this guy's 15 minutes...?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #983
miked
College Starter

Appears to be a lot of A-Rod hate. Braden is 26, has under 20 career wins and an ERA over 4. Good for him, he threw a perfect game. So did Kenny Rogers, Mike Witt, and Tom Browning. It's an amazing feat, but he should probably be thanking A-Rod otherwise nobody would know who he is (at least until now). Anyway, continue massaging his nuts (and no, I'm not an A-Rod fan).
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #984
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Alternately, at 24 he was league-average, at 25 above average and just pitched a perfect game at 26.

Not sure why you and A-Rod are so eager to diminish him, I don't think anyone has said he's Greg Maddux.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 05-10-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #985
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

I was at the game bitching about this with my brother. Thought it was so stupid. A (albeit friendly) Cubs fans sitting in front of us turned around and told me it was smart because pitchers usually bunt better than batters. When I told him that's hardly true, and still, he used a pinch runner, the Cubs fan patted me on the hand and said with a smile, "you're still young. you'll understand one day."

I hate dumb baseball fans.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #986
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
the Cubs fan patted me on the hand

Instant punch to the grill.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #987
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Alternately, at 24 he was league-average, at 25 above average and just pitched a perfect game at 26.

Not sure why you and A-Rod are so eager to diminish him, I don't think anyone has said he's Greg Maddux.

At 24, he pitched in 70 innings with a WHIP of 1.43 and a K/BB ratio of 1.6 or so. At 25, he pitched 136 innings with a 1.36 WHIP and a 1.9 K/BB ratio. At 26, he pitched a perfect game and looks to be having a solid season (3.33 ERA and 0.95 WHIP). He's also pitched in just 40 innings this season. My point is, as you described, he's about league average. He had one game where he was perfect, he struck out 6 guys, got 14 fly ball outs and clearly had some good luck (and good defense). He is also still taunting a guy who has nearly 600 career HR (probably a bunch tainted) for a minor incident that occurred weeks ago; yet he is running his mouth like he were some awesome veteran.

I know baseball has unwritten rules, I play a lot of it, most of them are fairly stupid. A-Rod probably should have acted like he had been there before (as the saying goes). But 26 year olds with 18 career wins to their name should probably give it a rest.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #988
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
But 26 year olds with 18 career wins to their name should probably give it a rest.

You're knocking a guy for a joke his grandmother made?
Old 05-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #989
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I was at the game bitching about this with my brother. Thought it was so stupid. A (albeit friendly) Cubs fans sitting in front of us turned around and told me it was smart because pitchers usually bunt better than batters. When I told him that's hardly true, and still, he used a pinch runner, the Cubs fan patted me on the hand and said with a smile, "you're still young. you'll understand one day."

I hate dumb baseball fans.

I don't see where this is SO dumb that it is totally unbelievable. I mean, it might not be what you would choose to do and I'm not saying it was right in this situation because I don't follow the Reds...don't know the pitchers or who was available off the bench. Believe me, I watched Dusty's crap for several years with the Cubs...I'm not out to defend him but....

Pitchers do tend to be good at sac bunts because when it comes to hitting, that's the only contribution many are ever asked to make. I know Ryan Dempster is one of the best sac bunt guys on the Cubs (and in all of baseball). You go into the situation with the plan that the bunt will be successful (if you assume it will fail, then you should find another option). If that happens, then the pitcher is finished for the day (if you choose) and no one has been burned off the bench (a pinch runner wouldn't be necessary). Since it failed, they decided to use a pinch runner for whatever reason (maybe to keep their prized young pitcher from running the bases since he's coming out anyway).

I don't know...I see these discussions quite often at the OOTP and Puresim boards. 99% of the time it is a believable scenario, just not the way that particular person would have handled it.

Want to talk dumb strategy that Dusty can't hold a candle to? Why on earth would you leave Dempster in to face Votto at that point in the game? You have Marshall (who is tremendous against lefties) warm in the pen. Who the hell was he warming up for if not Votto? Oh well...life of a Cub fan.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #990
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I didn't see the game, so take this for what it's worth.

My understanding is that it was the bottom of the seventh and there was a man on second with no outs. Under those circumstances a bunt is just conceding an out, which is rarely good strategy. I'd prefer a left handed pinch hitter that could not only move the runner over, but might get a hit.

Pitchers might make good sac bunt guys, although I don't know if that's true statistically. In this case, though, I don't know if I'd trust a key bunt to a guy that never played in the minors and has only a handful of major league ABs, especially given that he's thrown 100 pitches.

Now if this was the first questionable decision from Dusty I could write it off, but given his history of stupid decisions(it looks like the Reds are going to go three consecutive years with a leadoff hitter OBPing under .300, etc.) I tend to believe it was Dusty being a dumbass.

Last edited by JPhillips : 05-10-2010 at 01:04 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #991
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I didn't see the game, so take this for what it's worth.

My understanding is that it was the bottom of the seventh and there was a man on second with no outs. Under those circumstances a bunt is just conceding an out, which is rarely good strategy. I'd prefer a left handed pinch hitter that could not only move the runner over, but might get a hit.

Pitchers might make good sac bunt guys, although I don't know if that's true statistically. In this case, though, I don't know if I'd trust a key bunt to a guy that never played in the minors and has only a handful of major league ABs, especially given that he's thrown 100 pitches.

Now if this was the first questionable decision from Dusty I could write it off, but given his history of stupid decisions(it looks like the Reds are going to go three consecutive years with a leadoff hitter OBPing under .300, etc.) I tend to believe it was Dusty being a dumbass.

A bunt is worth it late in the game when you're playing for the tying or go-ahead run which it was. In addition, Leake had only thrown 71 pitches until that point.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #992
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The runner was already in scoring position. Trading an out just to advance the guy to third, where the only advantage is being able to score on a SF, WP/PB, and maybe an error, in exchange for giving up an AB where you could score the run without giving up the out OR get the runner to 3rd anyway by trying to get a hit and moving the runner (grounder to 2nd, deep fly to RF, etc.), makes more sense. Three shots at scoring the runner from 2nd seem (to me) to be worth more than 2 shots from 3rd.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #993
markprior22
High School Varsity

What about scoring from third on a ground ball? If the infield is in, the chance of getting a hit goes up significantly. Again, people all have different ideas concerning strategy but I just don't find this move absurd.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #994
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The runner was already in scoring position. Trading an out just to advance the guy to third, where the only advantage is being able to score on a SF, WP/PB, and maybe an error, in exchange for giving up an AB where you could score the run without giving up the out OR get the runner to 3rd anyway by trying to get a hit and moving the runner (grounder to 2nd, deep fly to RF, etc.), makes more sense. Three shots at scoring the runner from 2nd seem (to me) to be worth more than 2 shots from 3rd.

http://www.tangotiger.net/RE9902.html

Worth about .2 runs on average. Keeping in mind that you have your leadoff and #2 hitter coming up though so those numbers are slightly different. Probably a push overall.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #995
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
http://www.tangotiger.net/RE9902.html

Worth about .2 runs on average. Keeping in mind that you have your leadoff and #2 hitter coming up though so those numbers are slightly different. Probably a push overall.
The 0.2 runs is a 21% difference, though. At least from my limited thoughts about this, that 0.2 runs seems pretty significant.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #996
Logan
Head Coach

I don't care if he's only 19 games into his career, I'm designating Ike Davis as being the greatest ever at making plays along the dugout railing.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #997
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I don't care if he's only 19 games into his career, I'm designating Ike Davis as being the greatest ever at making plays along the dugout railing.

Worrrrrrrd up..... I believe that's his 3rd, if I'm not mistaken? Second where went head over heals.

Oh, and what a hell of a comeback by the Mets, especially since they completed a 3 team parlay I did.

Last edited by JS19 : 05-11-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:44 AM   #998
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

This.

I'm still amazed managers sacrifice runners from 2nd to 3rd.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #999
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Worrrrrrrd up..... I believe that's his 3rd, if I'm not mistaken? Second where went head over heals.

Oh, and what a hell of a comeback by the Mets, especially since they completed a 3 team parlay I did.

blahhh..

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #1000
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Perhaps you've been alerted to the fact that the Blue Jays' home series with the Phillies is being shifted from Toronto to Citizens Bank Park in Philly because of fears of violence due to the G-20 Summit in Toronto the weekend of June 25-27.

Jeff Francoeur heard about it, and he was none to pleased with the prospect of the Phillies inheriting three more home games.

"That's just bull----," Francoeur said. "That's not really fair. That's just not fair."

The move will give the Phillies 84 home games this season, and for a team that plays well at home, perhaps an unfair advantage over the Mets and others in the NL East.

"It's ridiculous," Francoeur said. Absolutely crazy."

The Blue Jays will be the home team in the series, and the designated hitter will be used.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz0njLmp3p3

What a pussy. If the Mets got three more home games, you probably wouldn't hear of Phillies players crying about it.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote