Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #951
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The cards are baseball's offspring of Tebow and Baby Jesus. Pity the fool who dares to besmirch their great name.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #952
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Also what's up with the Sox? I thought they were littered with can't miss drool prospects and 8figure signees. What's up with being 10 games under .500. At this point they may as well tank for the #1 pick.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #953
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The problem everyone talked about going into the season is ending up being their undoing - the complete lack of starting pitching. Porcello, Miley, and Kelly are just awful and Buchholz is merely average.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #954
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Also, the Oakland A's continue to be the strangest team in baseball. Their record is 29-40. Their Pythagorean W/L, based on runs scored and allowed is 38-31.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #955
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that if members of the Cardinals staff accessed the Houston database, they shouldn't be punished. They broke the law and should lose their jobs for that action.

The interesting point of Olney's article is to deal with the "cheating" shots taken at the St. Louis organization. As if access to another team's scouting database in March once or twice someone invalidates the team's success over the past few years. It looks more and more like a dumb prank by some Cardinals front office people either A) upset with the credit Ludnow was getting in Houston or B) upset he didn't take them with him when he left.

I think anyone found to be involved with this should be fired and I'm fine with Manfred issuing a fine/lost draft pick for "organizational control" even if the GM and owner were found not to be involved. Yet, this isolated idiocy shouldn't tarnish the success that the Cardinals have had on the field for the past 10 years.

Are there any legitimate baseball writers/talking heads/former players who are saying that this invalidates all of the Cardinals' success? Because I must have missed those.

Or is this just a strawman/response to idiots on Twitter?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #956
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Are there any legitimate baseball writers/talking heads/former players who are saying that this invalidates all of the Cardinals' success? Because I must have missed those.

FBI probe of Cardinals makes it fair to question series with Dodgers - LA Times

Quote:
After watching the planet's best pitcher endure two unimaginable meltdowns in the same situation to the same team in consecutive Octobers, some Dodgers fans began to wonder.

Were the St. Louis Cardinals cheating?

Maybe not, but now federal authorities think they may be cheaters.

Just call them the New England Cardinals … or maybe the St. Louis Patriots … or maybe just call them phonies in the wake of a New York Times report that they are being investigated by the FBI for hacking computer networks and stealing information about the Houston Astros.
Quote:
Yet, just as any NFL team can raise their eyebrows after the Patriots' Delfategate and Spygate, so too can Dodgers fans now reasonably wonder.

If the Cardinals would sneak into an opponent's computer, which is a federal crime and far worse than deflating a few footballs, what else would they do to gain an edge? If they would cheat against a long-struggling team such as the Astros, why wouldn't they cheat to beat the richest team in baseball and their Cy Young Award winner Clayton Kershaw?
Quote:
Then there was Game 4, a 3-2 loss in which Kershaw allowed all three runs in the seventh inning on arguably the most unusual home run of the season. Matt Adams went deep on a Kershaw curveball for the first homer by a left-handed hitter against the pitcher all season. It was also the first home run by a left-handed hitter on a curveball in Kershaw's seven-year career. And, what a surprise, there was a Cardinal on second base.

Ellis said Tuesday the team's pitching plan was not kept digitally and would be impossible to steal. He said there was nothing that would make him worry about the Cardinals in the future.

But still … were the Dodgers beaten by the Cardinal Way, or the Cardinal Con? It might be unfair to reach that conclusion, but it is now fair to ask that question.
I have a feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg for stories like this.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #957
Subby
lolzcat

About all those all-star whiners.

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #958
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
FBI probe of Cardinals makes it fair to question series with Dodgers - LA Times

I have a feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg for stories like this.

He did say legitimate.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #959
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The problem everyone talked about going into the season is ending up being their undoing - the complete lack of starting pitching. Porcello, Miley, and Kelly are just awful and Buchholz is merely average.
Not really. That was the problem the first month, but pitching has been fine since (I think we lead the AL East in Quality Starts, f.e.) Meanwhile the bats completely inexplicably fell off after a scorching opening couple weeks and we're now 24th in Runs Scored. And Hanley (unsurprisingly) and Sandoval (surprisingly) have been atrocious in the field.

There's also been a little bit of bad luck, and we'll probably "bounce back" to 75-80 wins. Fwiw, there's no way we could out-tank Philly/Milwaukee if we tried, and it's not like we have many players we could trade away - I count Koji, maybe Napoli if he keeps hitting like he has recently, and maaaaaybe Buchholz. Everyone else is either a Mookie/Xander/Pedroia type part of the core with years of control left or signed to a contract that teams wouldn't want to trade prospects for.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #960
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Not really. That was the problem the first month, but pitching has been fine since

Well they must have really horridly atrocious in that first month for their season ERA+s to be 75 (Porcello), 81 (Miley), and 75 (Kelly).

And I hate to tell you this, but Porcello's and Kelly's worst month appears to be May, and Miley's appears to be now (June) so I don't think that narrative actually works.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-19-2015 at 12:41 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #961
Grover
Pro Starter

Not to mention the Sox lineup is batting worse than last year's team. And that's with two shiny new players in Panda and Hanley.

Napoli needs to go. He has no future with the team. I'd sell him for a sack of baseballs. Papi has turned it around, but I don't see him back next year. That allows Hanley to DH, you can move someone else into left, find a new 1B as well.

The Sox have a history of calling up their prospects way too soon. Swihart was out of necessity, but JBJ was up too early and the same can be said for Mookie and Bogaerts, though Xander is finally coming around in a big way.

I'm not a Sox fan, but I watch and listen to a ton of games. Hell, I'd rather watch them and listen to Castiglione and O'Brien over it.

I don't see the Sox winning 75-80 games. I think Farrell has lost the dressing room. Miley blowing up at him a couple of weeks ago, this Panda incident.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #962
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Not to mention the Sox lineup is batting worse than last year's team. And that's with two shiny new players in Panda and Hanley.

I'm not entirely sure about that. The Red Sox's team OPS+ last year was 93. Whereas this year it's 96 (so far). Now, the Sox's 3.9 runs per game is 4th worst in the AL, but their 4.74 runs allowed per game is dead last in the AL (and it's not really close - Chicago White Sox are second worst and they are at 4.52 runs allowed per game). For comparison, last season the Sox scored 3.91 (4th worst in the AL again) runs per game and allowed 4.41 runs per game (5th worst in the AL).

It's the pitching.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #963
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure about that. The Red Sox's team OPS+ last year was 93. Whereas this year it's 96 (so far). Now, the Sox's 3.9 runs per game is 4th worst in the AL, but their 4.74 runs allowed per game is dead last in the AL (and it's not really close - Chicago White Sox are second worst and they are at 4.52 runs allowed per game). For comparison, last season the Sox scored 3.91 (4th worst in the AL again) runs per game and allowed 4.41 runs per game (5th worst in the AL).

It's the pitching.

Batting average and home runs were down last week compared to last year.

Without getting into sabremetrics.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #964
Grover
Pro Starter

And I'd say it's the offense and the pitching. When they get great pitching, there's absolutely no offense and the reverse.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #965
molson
General Manager

The Red Sox hitting and pitching sucked both this year and last year.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #966
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Batting average and home runs were down last week compared to last year.

Without getting into sabremetrics.

I think I'd rather look at the sabermetrics, especially when the numbers are compared to league averages in terms of runs scored . It appears that the loss of Lester and Lackey had a very large impact. The additions of the, yes disappointing but still decent Ramirez and Sandoval has kept the batting at roughly the same level as last year... which isn't good, of course. It's been the pitching that has really fallen off the cliff, which has them in danger of finishing last in the AL.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #967
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The Red Sox hitting and pitching sucked both this year and last year.

Yep. Farrell's gotta go.

This was a lineup predicted to score 900+ runs in spring training. There's zero chemistry on the team. It's sad to watch.

The only thing exciting about them right now is Bogaerts/Mookie/E-Rod (awful nickname, can't we do better)

Old 06-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #968
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Is it really Farrell, or is it the front office? I mean I think people generally realized the Red Sox overspent this offseason (I still think Porcello is a massive mistake, FWIW). And Kung Fu Panda was seen as someone who was going to drop in production (and actually he hasn't dropped all that much tbh, if you look at his numbers since 2011) and Hanley seems to be returning to his 2010-2012 form (he was already falling from his amazing 2013).
Old 06-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #969
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think I'd rather look at the sabermetrics, especially when the numbers are compared to league averages in terms of runs scored . It appears that the loss of Lester and Lackey had a very large impact. The additions of the, yes disappointing but still decent Ramirez and Sandoval has kept the batting at roughly the same level as last year... which isn't good, of course. It's been the pitching that has really fallen off the cliff, which has them in danger of finishing last in the AL.

Sure, but Sandoval's fielding has taken a nosedive and Hanley is a disaster in left field.

Sandoval has also given up on batting right-handed. The front office's policy of not giving 30+ players big deals is a joke. Lester would have been a good pitcher for another 5 years. I get blowing the team up last year because of how bad they were, but the Lackey trade was an unmitigated disaster. Kelly has been awful (so much for those Cy Young predictions he made for himself) and Allen Craig is rotting away in Pawtucket. Rusney Castillo is not showing many signs he was the player predicted to be.

It's a mess and it goes all the way to the top with Henry and Lucciano.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #970
Grover
Pro Starter

There are also many in these parts who feel that Cherington is merely a puppet for ownership. I'm not sure if I agree with it completely, but who knows.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #971
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sure, but Sandoval's fielding has taken a nosedive and Hanley is a disaster in left field.

Let's be honest, Sandoval is a fat dude, and generally speaking fat dudes tend to lose their skills far quicker than other players. Defense, I'd imagine is one of the first things to go. Also, Ramirez has NEVER played LF before. The guy is a (bad defensive) SS. So, you'd expect some crap fielding.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #972
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Let's be honest, Sandoval is a fat dude, and generally speaking fat dudes tend to lose their skills far quicker than other players. Defense, I'd imagine is one of the first things to go. Also, Ramirez has NEVER played LF before. The guy is a (bad defensive) SS. So, you'd expect some crap fielding.

Oh, I agree. The local radio station I listen to was at a Sox game a few Fridays ago. Hanley took a few grounders at short and didn't ONCE take any flyballs in the outfield. So, I can definitely say his terrible play in LF is both unfamiliarity and a lack of trying.

Also, any picture you see of Pablo is a bad angle. Just like that spring training pic

Old 06-19-2015, 03:07 PM   #973
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There are also many in these parts who feel that Cherington is merely a puppet for ownership. I'm not sure if I agree with it completely, but who knows.

Oh, wherefore are thou, Theo?
Old 06-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #974
Subby
lolzcat

The Red Sox are just mediocre. If you look at any advanced team stats they are somewhere in the middle. The only thing I can see that might be some good news is that their pitching seems to be a little unlucky. They have the lowest LOB% of any team (more players are scoring than expected) and their ERA is about a half run higher than their FIP and xFIP.

You would think they would have learned some lessons in free agency after unloading all of those paralyzing contracts on the Dodgers...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 06-19-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #975
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
You would think they would have learned some lessons in free agency after unloading all of those paralyzing contracts on the Dodgers...

Unfortunately I think they looked at the Dodgers getting really good (esp A-Gone) and went "did we do the right thing"?
Old 06-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #978
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
MLB cancels 60 million all star votes... should be good.

Yes, but are those cancelled before the numbers on Monday or after.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #979
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Nothing on MLB yet but I se ESPN has it on their page.

from Bleacher Report

Quote:
Based on Bowman's comments, it appears the vote removal is an ongoing process and not a one-time mass cancellation of prior votes. That would suggest the last update was accurate in reflecting the Kansas City players' leads.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-19-2015 at 03:57 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #980
Jas_lov
College Starter

A-Rod just got 3,000. Opposite field HR off Verlander.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #981
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I think the Cardinals should have to vacate every win for the last 10 years and be contracted from the League, but I've been accused of bias towards them in the past.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #982
Easy Mac

DeGrom must not have his best stuff tonight, because he just got outpitched by a kid making his first career appearance tonight. Matt Wistler went 8 innings, 1 run, no walks and only 88 pitches.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #983
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:

Giants forced him to get "in-shape" for Panda and he was in contention for a Gold Glove last year. Hedecided he would rather eat than follow the Giants training plans for more years and look at his defensive numbers compared to last year.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 06-20-2015 at 10:59 AM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #984
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

More Dodgers pleas
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:11 PM   #985
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Giants forced him to get "in-shape" for Panda and he was in contention for a Gold Glove last year. Hedecided he would rather eat than follow the Giants training plans for more years and look at his defensive numbers compared to last year.
Me Mongo
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #986
frnk55
High School Varsity

Perfect game going for Max Scherzer through 7 innings.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #987
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The guy who caught Arods ball for #3000 has a thread in archive I tried to bump.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #988
kingfc22
Head Coach

Bye bye perfecto.

Hello no-no.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 06-20-2015 at 05:27 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #989
Easy Mac

Tabata leaned into that, what an ass
Old 06-20-2015, 05:51 PM   #990
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, just saw it after watching the first 8 innings then going to the store (hey, I figured if I left the house it would help his cause). That's an ass move.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:55 PM   #991
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

At least Tabata can rest easy tonight knowing he's going to get on base tomorrow as well.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #992
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

was a fun game...and severe thunderstorm starts 30 min after wards! at least i made it to my car before the sky opened up.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #993
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
At least Tabata can rest easy tonight knowing he's going to get on base tomorrow as well.

I would hope he gets hit every time up tomorrow, or whenever the next time is he gets in the lineup against Washington. And that the umps issue no warnings, realizing just how incredibly bush league that was by Tabata.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #994
PilotMan
Head Coach

That's worse than bunting. That was awful.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:10 PM   #995
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think everyone in Pittsburgh hates his ass too fwiw
Old 06-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #996
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think everyone in Pittsburgh hates his ass too fwiw

What is with the lips tattoo?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:20 PM   #997
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
What is with the lips tattoo?

Apparently it's one of his signature moves? He's blown a kiss before after breaking up someone else's perfect game a few years ago.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:42 AM   #998
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yes as I was one of those who said this I will say I told us so��....sad to see the wheels coming off now in back to back years. I guess as it goes we should be happy with a few WS victories over the last 10 years.

Last edited by Galaril : 06-21-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:56 AM   #999
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I would hope he gets hit every time up tomorrow, or whenever the next time is he gets in the lineup against Washington. And that the umps issue no warnings, realizing just how incredibly bush league that was by Tabata.

Of course, the umpire could have simply had the balls to not award him the base.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #1000
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Nats pussed out by not hitting Tabata today.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote