Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-04-2023, 03:38 PM   #951
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yep, I saw it, and agree that PGMOL absolutely needs to do more of that. There's absolutely no reason for these processes to be opaque and explaining rationale will help a lot. It's also a good counter to former-player pundits going on about decisions based on the rules as they understood them 20 years ago.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 03:40 PM   #952
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

dola - that Ben White hold in the penalty area is exactly the thing VAR is good for - you'd never catch that at full speed (which is, presumably, what White was hoping for).
Old 06-04-2023, 03:56 PM   #953
miami_fan
Coordinator

A bit of craziness at the bottom of the La Liga as well. Valladolid is now trying to score a goal to stay up after spending the previous eighty nine minutes doing absolutely nothing because they thought they were safe.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:34 PM   #954
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Agreed on all points.

Did you see this?

PGMOL chief Howard Webb went through a few decisions where VAR was involved. He explains the process and why the decision were made. I hope there do stuff like this more. I do not expect it to change the minds of people who believe the refs hate them. I do hope it helps fans and pundits understand and speak more intelligently on the VAR process.

Let me know when they aren't cherry-picking incidents after the fact. Did he comment on the Rashford offside call?
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:17 PM   #955
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

You've got a pretty big persecution complex for a guy who's club has just won 5 of the past 6 EPL titles.

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 06-04-2023 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:41 PM   #956
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Let me know when they aren't cherry-picking incidents after the fact. Did he comment on the Rashford offside call?

Not in that show but the explanation had already been put out there four months prior.

The VAR Review: Rashford's offside in Manchester derby - ESPN

The game has to make a choice. Do we want rules that allow the officials to make subjective decisions like the Rashford offside call or to make objective decisions like the Grealish one from Saturday? We don't trust the officials to use subjectivity wisely. That is why we have laws like the laws governing handball now.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-05-2023, 03:48 AM   #957
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Here's that goal for the Belgian league title.

https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/s...33018885570561
Old 06-05-2023, 01:29 PM   #958
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Unreal ending to the Belgian league. 3 teams were virtual champions at some point during the last 15 minutes. I listened to the reports on the radio, reporters were getting crazy. Unreal stuff.

I wonder if they moved the trophy from stadium to stadium or if they had replica trophies at the relevant grounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Here's that goal for the Belgian league title.

https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/s...33018885570561

So the presence of Toby Alderweireld was not the reason that Tottenham could not win a trophy while he was there?
Old 06-05-2023, 02:37 PM   #959
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I wonder if they moved the trophy from stadium to stadium or if they had replica trophies at the relevant grounds.
Through the Flemish media, I picked up there was a helicopter ready to bring the trophy to the winning team. A much fancier alternative than the replica route. I remember the KNVB took that route in 2007 when AZ, Ajax and PSV played at 3 different stadiums for the title on the last Sunday of that season.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 02:32 PM   #960
miami_fan
Coordinator

Anyone familar with the LeBatard show cast of characters knows Mike Ryan had this at least two years ago.

Lionel Messi to join MLS side Inter Miami after PSG exit - ESPN
Old 06-07-2023, 03:25 PM   #961
miami_fan
Coordinator

VAR is a good thing for the West Ham supporters.
Old 06-07-2023, 03:41 PM   #962
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Not pissy or anything...

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 06:49 PM   #963
whomario
Pro Starter

Messi going to MLS came kind of sudden. Admittedly not very in the loop these days but still ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:15 AM   #964
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

While the Glazers continue to suck every possible penny out of their two suitors for Manchester United, we're left with the possibility that by the start of the season we'll have three clubs owned by petro-states with essentially unlimited funds.

The first club with essentially unlimited funds was Chelsea, but Abramovich never really put together a first-class operating structure around the club to ensure sustained success. What success they had came from great managers having great first or second seasons before flaming out, or a catching fire at just the right time.

Regardless of what you think of them, Abu Dhabi with Manchester City put together a top-class organization to cover literally all aspects of running the club, from the facilities to commercial to community outreach to of course the footballing side. A well-run organization plus a great manager plus effectively unlimited funds gives you this kind of dominance.

Where is gets worrying for the rest of the EPl is that Saudi Arabia appear to have taken on board those lessons with Newcastle. It is now a well-run club, spending wisely, building up thoughtfully, and they have a good manager on board and clearly as many transfers as they need.

If Qatar take over from the Glazers and do the same thing, the EPL could very easily have 3 super-clubs that dominate the top 3 places, and thus the majority of the UCL money. Forget the Big Six. You'll have the Big 3, a group of historically strong commercial revenue clubs below them (e.g. Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, etc...) a rotating cast of well-run smaller clubs (Brighton this year), and then everyone else.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:20 AM   #965
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Sounds good. It'll be like when United and Arsenal dominated the league for the first twenty years. The good ol' times.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:58 AM   #966
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Very proud of the Birmingham Legion for getting to the Quaterfinals of the US Open Cup. Lost last night to Inter Miami.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:44 AM   #967
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Hopefully next year we'll be able to find out if Messi could do it on a rainy day in Birmingham.
Ghost Econ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:19 PM   #968
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
While the Glazers continue to suck every possible penny out of their two suitors for Manchester United, we're left with the possibility that by the start of the season we'll have three clubs owned by petro-states with essentially unlimited funds.

The first club with essentially unlimited funds was Chelsea, but Abramovich never really put together a first-class operating structure around the club to ensure sustained success. What success they had came from great managers having great first or second seasons before flaming out, or a catching fire at just the right time.

Regardless of what you think of them, Abu Dhabi with Manchester City put together a top-class organization to cover literally all aspects of running the club, from the facilities to commercial to community outreach to of course the footballing side. A well-run organization plus a great manager plus effectively unlimited funds gives you this kind of dominance.

Where is gets worrying for the rest of the EPl is that Saudi Arabia appear to have taken on board those lessons with Newcastle. It is now a well-run club, spending wisely, building up thoughtfully, and they have a good manager on board and clearly as many transfers as they need.

If Qatar take over from the Glazers and do the same thing, the EPL could very easily have 3 super-clubs that dominate the top 3 places, and thus the majority of the UCL money. Forget the Big Six. You'll have the Big 3, a group of historically strong commercial revenue clubs below them (e.g. Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, etc...) a rotating cast of well-run smaller clubs (Brighton this year), and then everyone else.

The Glazers could always stay in charge for the betterment of the club and fair play throughout the league and Europe. Or the EPL/UEFA could not allow that sort of investment into the club. In short, none of them HAVE to take the money if they care that much. The choice is actually in their hands.
Old 06-08-2023, 07:39 PM   #969
Critch
lolzcat

Some mindless violence from the women's game:

Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:05 PM   #970
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Roman Reigns approves of that finisher.
Old 06-10-2023, 03:59 PM   #971
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2023, 03:59 PM   #972
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Professional performance from a brilliant side

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2023, 04:58 PM   #973
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Remarkable and well done by Man City. Feel bad for De Bruyne, but then again he's a large part of how they got here.
Old 06-10-2023, 09:07 PM   #974
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

New England Revolution vs. Inter Miami CF - Football Match Summary - June 10, 2023 - ESPN

Proof that the New England Revolution are better than Lionel Messi! (Ok, the small detail that Messi didn't play, as he needs some time off before joining Inter Miami as his PSG season just ended, but details, details.)
Old 06-11-2023, 03:30 PM   #975
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Shades of Suarez for Uruguay, player saves certain goal by literally slapping the ball away, and although sent off, the goalie saves the subsequent penalty.

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGolazo/...90373753589760

Verona's keeper is playing an absolute blinder.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:48 PM   #976
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nicaragua kicked out of the gold cup and relegated to CONCACAF Nations League B after it was found they used an ineligible player in 8 matches. Trinidad and Tobago takes their spot in both the Gold Cup and CONCACAF Nations League A. (Antigua/Barbuda takes T&T's GC preliminary round spot)

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/st...41623271702529
Old 06-15-2023, 10:15 PM   #977
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Halftime of the US vs Mexico. Berhalter in his way back as US coach. Really hope this is a false rumor. Wtf?

Last edited by cubboyroy1826 : 06-15-2023 at 10:15 PM.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 10:17 PM   #978
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The new coach of the US is..

I'm Back (Eric Bischoff) - YouTube

Yep, meet the new gaffer, same as the old gaffer (Gregg Berhalter) (per the Athletic)

Gregg Berhalter set to return as USMNT coach: Sources - The Athletic
Old 06-15-2023, 10:29 PM   #979
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

dola: Hey Chelsea? THIS IS THE MAN YOU DECIDED COULDN'T HELP YOU FINISH BETTER THAN 12TH. EAT A GIANT BOWL OF EXTRA SPICY CAMEL DROPPINGS! HAHAHAHAHA!

er.. sorry, let my inner USMNT fanboy slip out. Pulisic with two goals tonight against Mexico so far.

edit: Sing this to the old clock chimes.

"SAME! OLD! MEXICO! DOS! A! CERO!"

Last edited by SirFozzie : 06-15-2023 at 10:37 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 10:45 PM   #980
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

IT'S ALL KICKING OFF!

and in the stands too

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/st...50003277426688

Last edited by SirFozzie : 06-15-2023 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:51 PM   #981
RainMaker
General Manager

What did McKennie do to get a red?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 10:53 PM   #982
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

TRES A CERO! *CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP*
Old 06-15-2023, 10:56 PM   #983
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What did McKennie do to get a red?

Apparently put his hands on/around the neck of someone.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 11:00 PM   #984
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Apparently put his hands on/around the neck of someone.

Thanks. Watching on Univision and my Spanish is rusty.

What a dominant performance.

Should be a red on Chavez.
Old 06-15-2023, 11:02 PM   #985
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Mexico thuggeration in full effect.
Old 06-15-2023, 11:05 PM   #986
RainMaker
General Manager

Pulisic got a yellow for clapping as he was subbed off. This ref does not belong.
Old 06-15-2023, 11:08 PM   #987
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And the game gets officially paused as THAT chant rings out.

Stay Mad, El Tri. You got embarassed on the field AND in the stands (Homophobic Chant, thrown garbage). You GET NOTHING. GOOD DAY, PENDEJOS! (sorry, couldn't resist the Willy Wonka.)
Old 06-15-2023, 11:13 PM   #988
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

THE GAME HAS BEEN CALLED OFF!
Old 06-15-2023, 11:48 PM   #989
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And CONCACAF are now claiming despite the game being ended five minutes early, the anti-discrimination protocol third stage was not reached. Probably because they were afraid of FIFA having to take notice and causing issues with 2026. Gutless cowards. If not now, when?

And for the match result?

1,2,3 fuck the Mex.... - YouTube
Old 06-16-2023, 12:06 AM   #990
RainMaker
General Manager

What would happen if the game had been called because of the protocol?
Old 06-16-2023, 12:15 AM   #991
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The match would be immediately abandoned, and it gets sent up the line to FIFA (who wouldn't want to see one of their 2026 world cup hosts pull this off in an international tournament semifinal. Probably CONCACAF doesn't want to risk FIFA going "Guess what? The 2026 WC is now hosted by the USA and Canada only!" and Mexico throwing a royal shitfit.

as it stands, they will almost definitely have to play meaningful games with no fans in the stadium (they had to before for the same thing, but they played a meaningless friendly and managed to slough off part of the penalty in a WOMEN'S national team game). But, since except for the next Nations League (where USA, Mexico and two other teams get byes to the Quarter final), there's no meaningful FIFA games for them to play..

(BTW, I'm going to steal a joke from elsewhere to explain why I'm still in Hyper mode. "I'm not in Hyper Mode, I'm just over CONCACAF-inated"

edit: Concacaf launches What’s Wrong is Wrong anti-discrimination campaign

Last edited by SirFozzie : 06-16-2023 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:52 AM   #992
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That was a great showing from the US. Will hurt not having McKinney or Dest against Canada on Sunday though
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 11:54 AM   #993
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

LOL this article: US Soccer plays it safe by reappointing Gregg Berhalter as USMNT coach | USA | The Guardian

Some choice bits:

Quote:
his contract was quietly allowed to expire amid an investigation into conduct from more than 30 years ago prompted by the jaundiced parents of a sulky substitute

The armed gunships of helicopter parenting, Claudio and Danielle Reyna – both former US internationals and close friends of the Berhalters

“If you go back with Berhalter then we’ve wasted a lot of time,” the former forward Clint Dempsey said on Paramount+. In truth, with host status meaning no World Cup qualifying campaign to navigate and three years to go before the only tournament that really matters, there is plenty of time to waste. And US Soccer have form in this respect, having spent more than a year with an interim coach before hiring Berhalter at the end of 2018 for a rebuilding job.

Reyna, sporting bleached blond hair, flitted around the field with the luminous urgency of a firefly in mating season.

I'm glad I'm not really invested in the US National Team, because this kind of shit from U.S. Soccer would drive me round the bend.
Old 06-16-2023, 12:05 PM   #994
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What would happen if the game had been called because of the protocol?
But FIFA would never acknowledge that a hostile crowd chanting whatever is reason enough to legitimately stop a game. No need for One Love armbands, discriminating -isms are cultural heritage to be embraced. So next time, make sure to have a player provoke a lunatic in the stand to throw something at and hurt said player. That will get FIFA unamused enough.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 12:29 PM   #995
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Some choice bits:

That first bit is some of the best writing I've seen in quite a while, sums it up beautifully.

And I don't even like Berhalter particularly as a coach
Old 06-16-2023, 01:46 PM   #996
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Matt Turner reminds me of Richard from Silicon Valley.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:15 PM   #997
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Watching the replay and Paramount cut out the Mexican chant in the 89th minute, but not on the subsequent shouts during extra time.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:57 PM   #998
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Mexico achieved the rare feat of getting more red cards than shots on target during the match.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:19 PM   #999
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
That was a great showing from the US. Will hurt not having McKinney or Dest against Canada on Sunday though

I'm still hoping they change McKennie to a yellow. Watching the replays, he is really just defending himself. Multiple people were attacking him.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:26 AM   #1000
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

So, anyone else pro BJ after these two games? It's fun just watching our best attackers go at it