Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will take the White House?
Obama 151 68.95%
McCain 63 28.77%
Surprise? (Maybe Mr. Trout?) 5 2.28%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #10201
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Wow, McCain seems quick with the concession speech

It's because it is 3 hours past his bedtime
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #10202
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
classy speech by McCain here I gotta say. kudos

Agreed, extremely classy, I definitely respect him, just couldn't give him my vote.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #10203
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I see he gave Palin the rub.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #10204
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

+3 million pop vote now.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #10205
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

classy republicans booing
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #10206
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Great speech McCain. Nice work.... the people in the crowd on the other hand.... very disappointing.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #10207
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I'd say it's as official as it gets until January so I'll sum it up.

Without question, it's the darkest day in our nation's history, no pun particularly intended. The lowest point we ever descended to, and perhaps the first time I've truly been ashamed to be an American. We have no one to blame but ourselves for it ultimately, decades upon decades of mistakes & missteps all leading to this moment.

While I believe a good bit of the blame rightfully rests at the feet of those who came before us, I can't deny that this ultimately happened on our watch. We allowed the utterly clueless to put the equally clueless in charge and barring a miracle, or even a series of miracles, we'll never reach or even approach greatness again. Mediocrity, or much much worse, is officially the new standard and that isn't something that's easily overcome because the reality is that mediocre regenerates faster than greatness.

It's sad, but it is what it is. Defeated and without any reasonable degree of hope, all that's left is to fight to the end & deny the enemy as much of the spoils as possible. Maybe there's at least enough backbone left to do a decent job of that.

That's about all the emotion you're likely to get out of me tonight, subpar rant though it may be, I'm simply too sad to do rage very well. And I'm not planning to deny myself whatever pleasure I might find in playing with the numbers, screwing around with the hypotheticals, and fantasizing about the scenarios in which we might manage to survive this disaster but (to the disappointment of my liberal friends I'm sure) I definitely won't be holding my breath for them to take place. I'll just get what good I can get from it & leave the rest.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #10208
Flasch186
Coordinator

me too, Arles, me too.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #10209
MrDNA
High School Varsity

This crowd really is pretty crappy.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #10210
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I see he gave Palin the rub.

I bet he did!!!! Ba-ZING!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #10211
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

McCain did pretty well, considering the Chevy Yugo he had to try and sell.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #10212
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

OK, Wade and I were just discussing this. The Virginia Republican party made a huge mistake when they chose to have a nominating convention to choose their Senatorial candidate rather than a primary. Tom Davis would have been a far superior candidate over Jim Gilmore.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #10213
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I like McCain. I feel bad for him.

A friend and I were talking about this on AIM. We just feel bad for him. He had such awful handlers and a bad running mate. He deserved a better fate.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #10214
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

You can tell it's a small group of idiots who are booing. It is not everyone there. Still idiots though.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #10215
Tigercat
College Starter

Obama making a comeback in North Carolina, down only by a few thousand. He still leads in Indiana, but only by less than 2k. The quest for 360-370ish?

Howard Dean is a genius.

Last edited by Tigercat : 11-04-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #10216
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Jon, is that you booing on my TV?

"the darkest day in our nation's history" Get a grip, man.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #10217
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The Crimson Tide song? Fucking fantastic.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #10218
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Will we hear of Palin anymore?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #10219
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, I may be glad Obama got in, but that was a pretty nice speech. Certainly raised my respect levels for the man.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #10220
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Without question, it's the darkest day in our nation's history, no pun particularly intended. The lowest point we ever descended to, and perhaps the first time I've truly been ashamed to be an American. We have no one to blame but ourselves for it ultimately, decades upon decades of mistakes & missteps all leading to this moment.

While I believe a good bit of the blame rightfully rests at the feet of those who came before us, I can't deny that this ultimately happened on our watch. We allowed the utterly clueless to put the equally clueless in charge and barring a miracle, or even a series of miracles, we'll never reach or even approach greatness again. Mediocrity, or much much worse, is officially the new standard and that isn't something that's easily overcome because the reality is that mediocre regenerates faster than greatness.

It's sad, but it is what it is. Defeated and without any reasonable degree of hope, all that's left is to fight to the end & deny the enemy as much of the spoils as possible. Maybe there's at least enough backbone left to do a decent job of that.

That's about all the emotion you're likely to get out of me tonight, subpar rant though it may be, I'm simply too sad to do rage very well. And I'm not planning to deny myself whatever pleasure I might find in playing with the numbers, screwing around with the hypotheticals, and fantasizing about the scenarios in which we might manage to survive this disaster but (to the disappointment of my liberal friends I'm sure) I definitely won't be holding my breath for them to take place. I'll just get what good I can get from it & leave the rest.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #10221
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Quote:
Without question, it's the darkest day in our nation's history, no pun particularly intended.
...wow
Old 11-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #10222
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and Bartlett Pears! Bartlett Pears! Bartlett Pears! (Colbert Report joke for those who don't get it)

SI

Old 11-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #10223
Groundhog
Coordinator

JiMGA, you are exaggerating beyond belief. You may not be happy with who got the presidency, but I'm willing to bet that your life will not nearly be so adversely affected by it as you seem to think.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #10224
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Yeah, this is a nice moment for the country. I think Obama is a good person and will try to be a good leader. I hope he succeeds.

Hopefully the expectations aren't ridiculously out of line. Lots of things to work on so, hopefully people dont' expect everything to change overnight. (Or the flip side that he feels pressure to do everything overnight and does things too fast or haphazardly)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #10225
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

put me in the camp of classy speech from McCain with a few morons sprinkled in
Old 11-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #10226
wade moore
lolzcat

Whatever your political stance is you have to recognize that this is a big moment in US history. I hope it will help us to move to the point where race (or sex for that matter) can take a back seat in future elections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #10227
Swaggs
Coordinator

Well, the bar seems to be set pretty low for Obama among the JiMGs of the world, so it shouldn't be too hard for Obama to win him over by 2012.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #10228
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Whatever your political stance is you have to recognize that this is a big moment in US history. I hope it will help us to move to the point where race (or sex for that matter) can take a back seat in future elections.

+1
Old 11-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #10229
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

Sounds similar to how Democrats felt in 2000 and 2004; and that's pretty much what happened.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #10230
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Without question, it's the darkest day in our nation's history

dude...get a grip. 9/11? Pearl Harbor? There's plenty of better candidates for the darkest day.

if you want to say it's the darkest day in the history of the republican party you could MAYBE make an argument for that i suppose, but darkest day in our nation's history is pure hyperbole and grandstanding for attention and a response
Old 11-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #10231
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Amazing, I had the same thoughts in 2000/2004

edit: Damn you lordscarlet!

Last edited by Greyroofoo : 11-04-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #10232
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
What the hell is wrong with these people?

Umm ... they don't particularly like the worthless SOB that McCain just referred to? Seems to me that would be pretty obvious, not sure why that is bewildering.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #10233
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

no chance for filibuster proof now, right?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #10234
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Jon you can always move to another country like France for instance. Or some other European country that doesn't have a 'dark' leader.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #10235
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Darkest day is US History?

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #10236
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Jon don't you have a Militia that needs to kick it into gear?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #10237
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Now I just have to hope and pray 8 goes down
Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #10238
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Umm ... they don't particularly like the worthless SOB that McCain just referred to? Seems to me that would be pretty obvious, not sure why that is bewildering.

Can someone who paid attention over the past 100-odd pages of this thread give me a quick rundown on what exactly JiMGA despises so much about Obama?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #10239
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Obama increases big lead in NC now. Wow.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #10240
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

that would be the SOB who beat McCain - which makes him what...less than worthless?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #10241
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
Jon, is that you booing on my TV?

"the darkest day in our nation's history" Get a grip, man.

You don't get it. Jon isn't one of those guys in the crowd booing. Read what he wrote- that's not what he's saying. I strongly disagree with his sentiments but it's not as if he's shallowly just dismissing this.

SI

Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #10242
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
no chance for filibuster proof now, right?

Depends on whether or not Franken beats Coleman in MN and Chambliss gets over 50% tonight (if not, there will be a highly contested run-off).

Alaska and Oregon also have somewhat contested races, but they will likely both break for the Dems.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #10243
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

You've made some ridiculous posts over the years here, but I think this one may take the cake.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #10244
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Jon don't you have a Militia that needs to kick it into gear?

i think it's pretty easy for them to cut eye-holes in white sheets
Old 11-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #10245
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

CLiMGA.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #10246
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Can someone who paid attention over the past 100-odd pages of this thread give me a quick rundown on what exactly JiMGA despises so much about Obama?

my guess is that he is black
Old 11-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #10247
Swaggs
Coordinator

MSNBC calls Nevada for Obama.

Up to 338 EVs now.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #10248
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
You can tell it's a small group of idiots who are booing. It is not everyone there. Still idiots though.

Quote:

For someone that I believe would feel that respect is an important virtue, continually booing someone you dislike like (I really am containing just throwing out vitriol at the "worthless SOB" comment, particularly with what the Republican party has given us for the last 8 years). I don't recall hearing this from Democrats in 2000 and 2004 and they thought Bush was worthless. There really are not enough 4 letter words to describe the type of person you have proven yourself to be throughout the latter days of this campaign.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #10249
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Guys, that's unworthy. For Jon's faults to me, I can't see him as a racist. Come on. Call him on what he does that's wrong, but let's not invent things.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #10250
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i think it's pretty easy for them to cut eye-holes in white sheets

LOL