Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-09-2005, 12:31 PM   #1001
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Hire New Lead Scout
The Maassluis Merchantmen today presented Donald Preston as their new lead scout. Preston is a 50-year old football fan who never scouted in the International House Of Football before, but was hired today to replace arguably the top scout in the league, Gabe Avila. Owner and general manager M.IJ.B. smiled from ear to ear and told that this change of pie in the fornt office was only the first big move this off-season.

Donald Preston looked happy with the announcement and said: "I'm happy to get this opportunity. The Merchantmen are known for their confidence in rookies and it'll be fun to be scouting for them." Owner M.IJ.B. explained: "Preston has a nose for young talent. He's also a fine scout for offensive linemen, which is exactly the position group we need to scout in the upcoming draft preperation and free agency."

The hiring of Preston also means the dismissal of Gabe Avila. The 62-year old had built up a great reputation in the IHOF in his stints with the Fairbanks NorthStars and then with the Maassluis Merchantmen. Avila was unavailable for comment, but owner M.IJ.B. explained: "Avila was losing it a bit and we were unwilling to pay 1.5 million to him anymore. We thank him for his great work, he discovered Bernie Surry for us, but we also had some clear misses in the past two drafts."

The upcoming draft there seems to be little work to do for the Merchantmen, as the team has 54 players under contract and only one draft pick. But Preston takes his job serious: "There's always room for improvement. It's going to be my job to keep the eyes open for young prospects. Rookie free agents can turn into interesting players afterall. Just look at Al Bettis and Myron Stevens on this team."
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:05 AM   #1002
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Hire New Defensive Coordinator
The closet is getting cleaned from dead bodies, the Merchantmen seem to have big plans for next season. Just a day after replacing their lead scout they hired Thomas Dotson as their new defensive coordinator, despite having Bernie Hicks still signed multiple years. Hicks was suprised by the news, but in the meantime said his wife was relieved so they can move back to the USA. Dotson was smiling ear to ear and called this a great opportunity. Is this the last personnel change in Maassluis?

Thomas Dotson is new in the IHOF and makes the second unproven signing by te Merchantmen for their staff this off-season. General manager M.IJ.B. explained: "Bernie Hicks has done a tremendous job here. He's made our linebackers group so much better. I doubt Bernie Surry and Mike Kershner would have been the players they are now without him. But Hicks is mainly a linebackers guy, we needed someone who can teach our defensive backs and linemen something new."

Linebacker Carl Meier responded on behalf of the players and said he was shocked. Meier: "I didn't see it coming. We know the team tried to replace Hicks last off-season and he looked disappointed by it. He took it professionally and I think we've had our good streak of games in the second half of the season. But I guess the management wanted a fresh guy."

Thomas Dotson himself looked happy: "Great opportunity. I'm gonna work with a talented group of defensive players. Charles Gomez and Cody Cluff are big names around the league, Bernie Surry's star is rising. The secondary is solid, the defensive line is good and the linebackers group one of the best in the league. And with the promissed changes in the offense, we should be able to build a top 5 defense here."

Bernie Hicks commented on the situation with disappointment: "Last season they talked me into staying around. I decided to stick around for a third season, but now they ditch me for a 55-year old." The 68-year old Hicks had only one good thing to tell: "The mss. Hicks has been homesick from the start. She never liked the Netherlands and this probably means we can head back to Georgia. We had a good living in Tucker and like it there. But maybe some other team might come around. I believe the Merchantmen management has been dropping my name around the league. I got to give them credits for that, but I'm still not amused. I think I helped a lot with building a strong defense in Maassluis."

The Merchantmen management said they were not done replacing faces: "We are still watching out for upgrades everywhere. Leroy Van Der Woude and Antonio Francis have been doing a great job, but they should be warned now." Leroy Van Der Woude heard the rumors about the Merchantmen trying to hire North Plainfield Plague headcoach Matthew Van Pelt, but said he feels comfortable in Maassluis. Van Der Woude: "Sure, Van Pelt has a ring on each hand, but who says we can't copy that? 2009 and 2010 will be our years."

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 08-11-2005 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:11 AM   #1003
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes
Two down...

Yeah, I leave it at that. A new lead scout and a new defensive coordinator give us the freedom to move on. Our old staff members were getting, well, old. Our new members have a good reputation in the areas we need.

Our roster is still the same and there are no trades done. We're working the phone lines to get an offensive tackle right now. The plan was to get Wilson Grimaldo back after the Vicksburg Vipers put him on the trade block, but they took an offer from Paris Musketeers. I let Vicksburg know my offer still stands in case the Musketeers can't find the cap room for Grimaldo, which isn't all unlikely. Paris is currently $24 million over the cap. And I'm still looking around, talks have started, but nothing is sure yet.

The potential trade of defensive tackle Charles Gomez is still on hold. I'm going to wait until free agency officially starts and until the draft class is revealed. On further review it seems that trading Gomez won't be a good salary cap move, so if I make that move, we need to get significantly big compensation. The departure of defensive tackle Andrew Rasmussen is more likely right now, but then, I could use the cap space that Gomez is eating up for contract extensions with quarterback Louie Flannery and left tackle Ivan Jacques.

I'm not getting any biters on the players we put up for potential trade so far, except for the quarterbacks Thad Pilkington and Justin McDavid duo. Both are mentors and could be useful to a team with a young new playcaller. I'm not expecting anything to happen there, unless I get a blow-me-away offer.As far as I can tell, we're headed into free agency with the same 54 players as we had the past season.

The draft is going to be tricky. Yours truly has some important stuff to do in the weekend of the draft. That means that for drafting purpose I'd need either a replacement or a very good idea on who to get. That means exesive preperation for the draft, despite holding only one draft pick in the middle of the third round. A pick I'm even trying to trade to get a couple of fifth round picks. Besides, where should we add a rookie or two? The only options I see are quarterback (due to our mentors), the secondary (we can't have too little zone defenders) and offensive tackle (do we really need another project player who will never reach his potential?

Renegotiations day is coming up and that day will be crucial to our plans. Most likely I'm going to be doing more important stuff that day. That means it's going to be a very important to make sure the players we have are going to be willing to take a little cut in their salary figure to get rid of the $5.07 million red figures on the salary cap balance.

On a side note, the 2008 season was pretty succesful in some areas afterall. The attendence grew into 73,500 spectators per game, which is higher than in the past two season and the second highest figure in the league. Our bank balance was also good. Me made over $26.5 million in the 2008 season, which was an increase of over $23 million compared to 2007. The change was mostly to be found in the income area. Tickets revenue went up about $10 million, while suite revenue went up about $7.5 million. That all helped to make the franchise value increase to $593 million, making the Maassluis Merchantmen the tenth highest valued team in the IHOF. Not bad if you ask me...

Expect me to be pretty lazy this off-season though. I just want this team to stick together and see how far the cohesion in the team can bring us the coming two seasons. After that it may be rebuilding mode a bit, but we'll be able to manage it. We've come a far way from being 1-15 to being two-time European champs, but we're not gonna drop hard back to the cellar dwellars that easily, right? Right!? And then I quickly realize it happened to the Orlando Knights, who went from lock for the playoffs to six wins combined in the past two seasons. The tide can turn fast and with our nickname, we should be prepared for heavy storm...
Old 08-11-2005, 10:17 AM   #1004
Alf
Pro Starter

Just so you all know, MIJB as set the over-under at 5 on the numbers of trades done this offseason.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #1005
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf
Just so you all know, MIJB as set the over-under at 5 on the numbers of trades done this offseason.
That can't be stressed enough I guess.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:49 PM   #1006
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Back In Healthy Cap Situation
After a big number of renegotiations with players, the Maassluis Merchantmen are back under the $93 million salary cap. By restructuring the contracts of 32 players, the team went from about $5 million over to $5.4 million under the cap and still the same 54 players signed. Rumors of Charles Gomez being traded and the success of the team the past two seasons have been rumored to be te key elements in the size of the list of names with renegotiated contracts. The Merchantmen now hope to build the roster up to 60 players and hope to add 10 rookies for training camp to challenge the stars.

Despite the healthier cap situation and a full roster signed, the Merchantmen are still not happy. General manager M.IJ.B. explains: "We guaranteed the services of the enitre team through 2010, but after that the team is bound to fall apart. The contracts of some key players like Louie Flannery, Ivan Jacques and Jim Reiser are going to end after 2010 and we need to extend their deals. We hope that Tai Wayne and Lincoln Gilmore set the trend with their signature under a much longer deal."

Upcoming is free agency and the draft, but 2009 doesn't seem to be the Merchantmen's season in those areas. The Merchantmen have little pressing needs aside from a backup offensive tackle. The search for one might end soon as the team has been busy talking trade with several teams. In the draft the team has one draft pick at #79 overall. It could mean the Merchantmen will be quiet in the draft, however everbody knows they always trade up or back into the draft. M.IJ.B.: "Not this season, we have other stuff to do, like figuring out how to get this team together past 2010 and how to improve our game plan."
Old 08-14-2005, 02:04 PM   #1007
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Trade For Tackle Louis Bell
Louis Bell was today announced as the newest addition of the Maassluis Merchantmen organization. Bell is coing over from the Paris Musketeers in a trade. The Merchantmen give up a third round pick in 2009 and 2010 and get a fifth rounder in the 2010 season. Bell should address the Merchantmen's pressing need for a backup tackle, preferrably left tackle. The move has several interesting notes too.

The official papers haven't been run through the league office, but the Merchantmen management is confident the trade will be done. General manager M.IJ.B. said: "We're hoping to sign Louie Flannery to a nice contract extension tomorrow, so that has a preference, but with $5 million of cap room we should be able to manage it." On the addition of Bell: "Bell will give us an upgrade over Harold Hurtado as our premier tackle backup. Hurtado will battle it out with Brian Hammond at guard. I'm confident this move will help us over the run of a season."

The trade brings up several interesting tidbits. First of all, the Merchantmen and Musketeers are clearly rivals, but apparently that is no issue. M.IJ.B.: "Paris is in cap trouble and in a dead lock situation. They needed to trade Bell to be able to absorb the salary of Wilson Grimaldo, if they couldn't, Grimaldo could have possibly traded to us. In the end getting Bell could be better for the long term situation, but short term Grimaldo could have been nice."

Louis Bell was unavailable for comment, but it seems he understands the situation and it should be common sense to expect him to be interested in playing for a rival of a team that gave up on him. Bell wanted to wait until the trade is official.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:44 PM   #1008
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes
Quick Update!

Yes, only a quick update, because with 54 players signed, 1 draft pick and being 5M under the cap, we don't have a lot to do. Or do we?

Today we extended the contracts of nine players. Most prominent was the deal for Louie Flannery, who said yes to a $21.15 million deal. The other imported players with new deals are receiver Bryce Ewald, cornerback Winford Endicott, defensive ends Omar Gougeon and Erwin Baranowski, and linebacker Bernie Surry.

Our roster figure went up to 56 today as two new players arrived. Linebacker Omar Carpenter joins us as a free agent and will get training camp and maybe pre-season to prove he's worth a roster spot. We are still working the phones with several other players and hope to add a couple more free agents before the draft starts.

Left tackle Louis Bell is our second addition. The fans may remeber seeing Bell in a Paris Musketeers uniform, protecting Mario Hudson or 'The Great' Lumpkin. In four seasons, Bell played 56 games, started 53 of those, made 49 key run blocks and allowed 32 sacks. That sack figure looks a bit big, but given Paris' pass oriented offense and Bell's significantly better stats in 2008, he seems to be the perfect backup offensive tackle.

Our 2009 draft situation has gone to zero picks in the pocket now. The trade that brings us Bell also costs us the 3.17 pick we had. Despite that, I'm preperring three draft day trades to get three players I want to see in a Merchantmen uniform next season. I feel it is a football team's duty to pick up rookies, despite my desire to stick this team together through the 2010 season.

After the draft we will add up to 70 players for training camp and see where we get from there. For once, the off-season can't be over soon enough for me. The 2009 season will be tough and we're going to need our team to be fully focussed. There is another trade in the works, which would move one of our backups out for another team's backup player. That player might not even make our 53-men roster, but he should survive pre-season and stick around in case of injuries to one of our players at the same position.

Let's see what the future will bring us...
Old 08-16-2005, 04:12 PM   #1009
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Make Little Trade
The Maassluis Merchantmen are back at their trend of doing little trades. Today they announced the acquisition of cornerback Adrian Wynn from the Miami Sharks in exchange for guard Jasper Call. Second year pro Wynn is on a two-year contract and expected to battle for a roster spot in pre-season with other secondary players. Call's role in Maassluis looked done after the team acquired left tackle Louis Bell and hadn't been able to extend the aged veteran Call's contract at the end of the 2008 season.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #1010
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Sign Two To Boost Backfield
The Maassluis Merchantmen today presented two new faces to the team. Running back Winfred Hartfield and fullback Robert Watkins put their signatures under one-year deals to make them wear the orange-white-and-blue jerseys during training camp and maybe even longer. Head coach Leroy Van Der Woude was happy to hear the hiring of the two players, who will battle for a regular season roster spots in the pre-season. The Merchantmen roster is now up to 58 players and with two players being offered contrats looks ready for pre-season already.

Winfred Hartfield is the oldest of the two new faces. Hartfield will turn 32 midway the 2009 season. He played running back for the Telluride Outlaws the past three seasons. In 2006 he made his mark with 8 starts in 16 games. He ran for 492 yards and 4 scores that season to highlight his best year. Last season he didn't play a down on offense, however he was active most of the season to mentor the other running backs. Hartfield returns to Europe after having left Orlando for Paris during the 2005 season following activity in 16 games in 2004. For Paris, Hartfield ran 7 times for 48 yards in Oranje Haven, marking his only activity in Maassluis before.

Robert Watkins is joining his second European time in his pro football career. The 26-year old fullback was active in all 16 games for the Gothenburg Giants the past season. Gothenburg was Watkins' third team in the IHOF. He started his career with the Anaheim Matterhorns in 2004 and then was active in all their games for the 2005 and 2006 seasons. IN 2007, Watkins joined the Orlando Knights, but didn't see much on field action. His career highlight is a 1-yard touchdown pass he made for the Gothenburg Giants. That score ironically came versus the Maassluis Merchantmen in a 12-23 loss at Oranje Haven.

Head coach Leroy Van Der Woude looked happy by the addition of the two players. "We seen them both do good things in our house and the fans should get to know them soon enough. We expect Hartfield to take a good role of mentorship on him in pre-season. Guys like Kyle Montoya and Scot Bagley can use that. Watkins will battle with Henry Poston for the backup job at fullback, which could be a close one. Poston will get pre-season to once and for all show he's that great receiver we thought he would be."

Despite the signings adding up to 58 players under contract, the Merchantmen are still talking with two other players for addition as free agents. General manager M.IJ.B. was clear about the names: "Left tackle Alfonso King spent the 2008 pre-season on our roster and we were happy with his performance. We will give him another shot at making the 53-men roster, but his main role will be to mentor Louis Bell and Norman Holliday." The other option is a big name receiver. M.IJ.B.: "We are in the market for big-play receiver George Riendeau. He's received our upgraded offer and has to decide what to do. I think our offer is good, but might not be the best. If we can get him, that would be great for Louie Flannery, but we know the current receivers corps can get it done if he doesn't."
Old 08-19-2005, 06:06 AM   #1011
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Prepare For Draft Without Picks
The Maassluis Merchantmen are getting ready for draft day. But isn't that strange, they have no draft picks left and the general manager has been vocal about being unavailable to attend the draft area. Indeed, but the management did prepare and there might be some rookies joining the Merchantmen in time for training camp. Read on to find out about the Merchantmen's draft day plans. General manager M.IJ.B. explains what's going on.

First of all, the team has no picks, but does the team have any prospects they want to get? M.IJ.B.: "We do. We've scouted this year's class and noticed several interesting players. There are three players on our list, no more, no less. I won't give too much details on two of them, but I will on the third. We scouted cornerback Bryce Foster and I must say, I like him. But after Adrina Wynn arrived and ourt ongoing trade talks to add a seventh cornerback, Foster can only make it if he goes undrafted."

But who are the two other players? Are there positions and how would the team acquire them? M.IJ.B.: "We're the masters of trade. You'll know were always working the phones. In fact, the two players we have our eyes on will be acquired, if they fall a bit in the draft. I agreed terms with two other owners in the IHOF to have them draft the player we want (at a pick of their choice) and us then trading for him. The league office will be informed so the trades can be confirmed in a timely fashion."

So, the Merchantmen have two trades set up and thus hope to land those two players and cornerback Bryce Foster. Are there more players of interest? M.IJ.B.: "Sure there will be, but the three guys we listed now are top priorities. The rest depends on post draft availability. We didn't hire a scout for offensive linemen for nothing. We'll probably hire a guy or two to challenge Norman Holliday, Harold Hurtado and Louis Bell for the backup spots. We're also always looking for defensive backs, linebackers, a fourth quarterback and wide receivers. Tha last position could be a need area if we lose the bidding war on George Riendeau. I expect that our offer won't stand as best, so it's a need area too."

Okay, the Merchantmen seem to be ready afterall. Is there anything else to mention? M.IJ.B.: "I'll give the names of the five players I will think be the steals of the draft. They will be: left tackle Amos Bradford from Kent, running back Jessie Vielma from Southern California, cornerback Trent Orchard from South Dakota State, tight end Harold Halverson from Ball State and defensive end Wally Mattingly from Central Florida. Write these names down, fans."
Old 08-20-2005, 10:11 PM   #1012
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Trade To Pick Quarterback Josh Webb
The Maassluis Merchantmen have hired a new quarterback. On draft day, the Maassluis Merchantmen have swapped their 2011 second round pick for this year's 21st overall pick in the second round with the Ann Arbor Anachronism. Josh Webb is the new face and the team hopes he can be a #2 quarterback in the future after being mentored by the infamous quarterbacks Justin McDavid and Thad Pilkington. In a quick respons, the Merchantmen management called Webb: "He's was our top priority to get. We wanted to pick a young passer who we can develop into a nice reserve or even future starter." They also hinted about this not being their last trade, so keep your eyes open for more surprises.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:43 AM   #1013
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Trade To Pick Running Back Jesse Vielma
For the second year in a row, the Maassluis Merchantmen have drafted a running back. In a quick trade, the Merchantmen traded their 2011 third round pick for the 3.26 pick and gave a 2010 fourth round pick for a 2011 sixth round pick to the Anaheim Visigoths. Jesse Vielma is the name of the running back they hired. Vielma played his college football at Southern California. Vielma was rated as a top 10 running back in this draft class. His specialties are his elusiveness, his kickoff return ability and his receiving skills. Rumors are the Merchantmen management will ask Vielma to move to wide receiver and turn out in camp at that position.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:17 PM   #1014
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Trade To Pick Defensive End Wally Mattingly
And they strike again. Defensive end Wally Mattingly was added to the Maassluis Merchantmen roster after a draft day trade. The Maassluis Merchantmen send a 2010 third round pick to the Brooklyn Fightin' Bums for the #104 overall selection. Mattingly was quoted saying: "It'll be great to join the Merchantmen!" Defensive coordinator Thomas Dotson said he was looking forward to Mattingly joining the team: "It's going to be great to have five sack machines to choose from. If Mattingly shows up in camp, he may challenge the starters."
Old 08-22-2005, 05:47 AM   #1015
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Press Release: Merchantmen End Succesful 2009 Draft
The Maassluis Merchantmen management is happy to announce that the 2009 draft was a success. With the selection of quarterback Josh Webb, running back Jesse Vielma and defensive end Wally Mattingly, the team has acquired three players from the list of five players to get. The team will soon start negotiating term with the rookies and prepare for training camp.

Quarterback Josh Webb was selected in the second round, 53rd overall. Webb played his college football at Texas A&M, at the Commerce department. Webb is expected to challenge Justin McDavid and Thad Pilkington for the backup role in 2009. Hopes are that Webb will be ready to do backup duties in 2011. General manager M.IJ.B. about Webb: "Our scouting staff told us Webb was in potential the third best quarterback in the class. His skills reminded them of a younger version of Thad Pilkington, which made it easier to pick him. We hoped to get him in the fourth round, but in the end we picked him a bit higher and are happy about it."

Running back Jesse Vielma was the second addition. The Southern California graduate was selected in the third round, 90th overall. Vielma stood out at the scouting combine in the agility test. Vielma might be moved to wide receiver to fill a pressing need there, even though the running game has been the team's weakest element in 2008. General manager M.IJ.B. about Vielma: "We didn't have Vielma on our initial list of four names, but after we saw he was still there, we decided to trade back in. Vielma looks like a potentially good wide receiver and also brings kick returning skills."

Defensive end Wally Mattingly was the third and last addition. Mattingly played at Central Florida. At 6'8" and 285 lbs., Mattingly is one of the biggest defensive ends of this class. Mattingly is the fourth defensive end drafted by the Merchantmen in four consecutive drafts. General manager M.IJ.B. about Mattingly: "We have drafted defensive ends more often than not, but we just had to take him. Mattingly was the best defensive end in the draft in our book. Getting him in the fourth round is a steal and we'll be happy to give him playing time next season."

The other two players the Merchantmen hoped to get were drafted by other teams. Linebacker Gino Gaylor was picked by the Columbus Architects in the third round, while conrerback Bryce Foster was picked in the fifth round by the Anaheim Visigoths. General manager M.IJ.B.: "We gave up on Foster after trading for Adrian Wynn in the off-season. Gaylor would have been a great replacement for Josh Weisberg or Ellsworth Thelen, who is still on our trading block. But in the end we should be fine with the players we wanted."

The preperations for traning camp are not over yet in the minds of the Merchantmen management. General manager M.IJ.B.: "The plan is to have 70 players signed when heading into training camp. With our draft picks and the addition of cornerback Melvin Shelton we have room for seven new players. Expect them to be rookies who should be picked up after the draft as undrafted free agents. Our scouting department is working on it and should come up with about suitable players for our team soon enough."
Old 08-23-2005, 04:26 AM   #1016
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Irregular Interviewing: Al Bettis and Charlie Martins
Football is a team sport. In the International House of Football teams consistent of 53 players, of which 46 are active on gameday. All have their roles, whether they are big or small. But the Maassluis Merchantmen have two players with very specific roles on the team. Today we'll have a double interview with the Merchantmen's two least know players: kickoff kicker Al Bettis and longsnapper Charlie Martins.

Questioner (Q): Today, we're interviewing two Merchantmen players with a role on special teams. Both seem to be a lock to make the 53-men regular season roster, still not many fans can match their names and numbers. So, Charlie Martins, what's your jersey number and what's your role on the team?
Charlie Martins (CM): I play with 84. My position is tight end, but usually my only task on the field is long snapping.

Q: And since this is a double interview, we have a second guest. Al Bettis, what are your task and which number should the fans match you with?
Al Bettis (AB): My football position is kicker. Usually I only handle kickoffs, but if Cary Coles gets hurt, I will do the field goal and extra point kicking as well. My jersey number is eight.

Q: Charlie, you two are playing in a limited role on the Merchantmen team. Do you two feel as much responsible for the back to back European division titles?
CM: I can only speak for myself, but I've been around for four years with this team and it's fun to be here. We're really a team and this organization cares about the special teams unit. I feel appreciated and part of all success we had so far.

Q: A year or two ago, the team traded in center Christian Reichel, a guy who was also a good longsnapper, didn't that hurt?
CM: Well, I was surprised at first, but later on realised the team did it because they really care about the role I play. Which team keeps two longsnappers around? Some teams even think they can get away with guys who never made it their specialty.

Q: Al, like Charlie your role is limited. How's the chemistry with the rest of the team?
AB: We've got a great group of players. You can see the core has been together for pretty long now.

Q: But do you feel like being part of the team?
AB: I sure do. Everybody knows what my role is. The guys thank me if I can get a touchback or manage to give the gunners enough time to tackle the kickoff returner in his own red zone.

Q: What the fans probably don't know is how you two joined the team. You two have both been undrafted free agent additions. Charlie, what was it like to join the team that way?
CM: Well, during the draft it didn't seem like teams were showing interest. My agent kept telling me I was a top ten tight end in the draft and should keep faith. In the end it kept me focussed, I kept working out. And then, just before training camp, I heard the Merchantmen were interested.

Q: How'd you feel about it?
CM: Well, you have to know, at that point the Merchantmen were the league doormat. The were coming off a horrible 1-15 season. But they were quickly building a team and when they told me they wanted me to be their longsnapper for years to come, I was amazed. You got to see, at that point Jerry Aubrey was still with the team. He was coming of All IHOF first team honors and did dthe long snapping as well.

Q: It turned out to be Aubrey's last season, while you have been around for four seasons now. You missed only one game and even made some plays for the team.
CM: Well, it's my job to work hard for the team. We've come a long way and try to keep improving year after year. We've been told we're going to have the toughest schedule in years. I say: "Bring it on".

Q: Al, you joined the team a season later than Charlie, how'd your first step in the IHOF go?
AB: Unlike Charlie, my agent told me I should expect much in pro football. I think I wasn't even in the top ten of kickers. But then, during the sixth ot seventh round, my agent called me. He told me one team was interested in me as kickoff kicker.

Q: How'd you react? Were you disappointed?
AB: To be honest, at first I was. You want to do all there is in the job and making that crucial last second game winning field goal is every kicker's dream.

Q: What happened when you were introduced to the other special teams guys?
AB: Cary Coles immediately stepped up to me and wished me to do well with the team. Coles had been told we were going to share the load and we would both make the team. It was weird in a way, I was used to doing it all at Mississippi, but we talked about it and Cary said wed manage it.

Q: And you two haven't looked back since.
AB: Yeah. The management has given me the opportunity to do points-duty in pre-season and in a road game at the Boulder Blizzard. I still remember that game as we were actually playing in some kind of blizzard. It was cold and a bizar environment.

Q: Okay, we now know a bit more about how you two joined the team. Do you two feel that the undrafted rookie free agent is undervalued?
CM: Well, that depends. Myron Stevens is the only other guy who joined the team as "URFA".
AB: I agree with Charlie, we both got lucky with having our specialty. It's that kind of guys who have a shot. Myron Stevens got lucky because the team was addapting to a zone defense and Myron had played that a lot in college.

Q: Okay, so, since you two think it's only possible for players with a specialty to join the league as "URFA", do you two have somebody in mind?
CM: Well, I have my money on Winston Van Pelt. Tha guy has been in the news a bit in Maassluis, with his Dutch name and all. I hear he's a guy like me, sorta.
AB: I think you should be worried, Charlie, that kid might steal your job.

Q: Al, did you see any kickoff guy kickers in this class?
AB: I think Kurt Lyon has a shot. The guy played with Notre Dame and might luck into kickoff duties somewhere.
CM: Well, that guy has an accurate leg too. I heard he was the most efficient extra points kicker in the entire class of 2009. I think you should be worried, Al.

Q: You two seem to be up to date a bit, what do you guys think of the three rookies the Merchantmen drafted?
CM: Well, what's jumping out to me is how both Josh Webb and Jesse Vielma are special teams guys. I hear Webb did a lot for his college football team. He might be the new holder.
AB: I think Webb could do that, but it's no guarantee with Louie Flannery doing a good holding job. I personally like Vielma's kickoff returning skills. I heard he's one of the best return guys of the class of 2009.

Q: Looking a bit further, do you two expect the three rookies to make the team?
CM: Well, rookies used to be a lock here, but we all know how all went with Brendan Henderson and Doug Nelson.
AB: Yeah, Henderson was released after training camp and what happened to Nelson? Wasn't he released mid-season?
CM: Well, I think he was.

Q: Enough about the draft. Training camp is coming up. Do you two expect some surprise releases after camp?
AB: I do. Henderson was a surprise last season. We've all been kept up to date about the recent roster moves. With the rookies, the team has 63 names. It's not going to be easy to make the final 53-men roster.

Q: Long time punter Roscoe Corrales looks like the odd man in the punting duel.
CM: Well, Roscoe has been a good punter. Roscoe is popular with the fans and that can help. But Sean (Smalley) has been impressive in the two games he played.
AB: Roscoe has a super hang time, but Sean has a powerful leg. It's going to be an interesting battle in pre-season, providing they get that battle.

Q: What about the four quarterbacks?
CM: Well, we all know the management is openly advertising they want to trade either Justin McDavid or Thad Pilkington.
AB: I hope they both stay. Justin is a charter member of the team. And Thad is Thad. He's got an interesting image around the league, but with reason. Thad is an interesting player. Try finding a better quarterback for a short passing game, you'll have a hard time finding one.

Q: But Josh Webb has been added to the team as a second round pick.
CM: Well, the media is already expecting him to bust. The Merchantmen have fallen victim to the second round pick curse that haunts the IHOF.
AB: I don't believe those ghost stories. But it is a fact that all second round picks in Maassluis have struggled a bit. Only Shaun Shiroma broke the curse with his defensive player of the week honors in the playoffs.

Q: The playoffs, thanks for bringing those up Al. What are your expectations for 2009? Al?
AB: It's going to be a tough season. We hear Paris is getting better, but it's always a questionmark how much better they really get. Getting Wilson Grimaldo back is huge for them.
CM: Well, Paris hasn't lived up to the hype before. Gothenburg is clearly rebuilding. And Bordeaux is in cap trouble I hear. That should be great to be in a position to win the division for the third time.

Q: How many games will the Merchantmen win and how deep into the playoff will you guys get?
AB: Ten wins is our goal. I don't think we can sneak into the post-season with nine wins this season. In the playoffs, we'll show we can beat any team. I hope we can return to the AOC championship game.
CM: Well, I'm aiming a bit higher. I say we go 12-4 and go to IHOF Bowl VI. One can dream, no?

Q: Okay guys, thanks for your time, it's time to see the last few picks in the draft unfold.
CM: Well, it was all my pleasure.
AB: What "C." said, all his pleasure.

Q: Good luck guys!

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 08-23-2005 at 04:29 AM.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:09 AM   #1017
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Fans Vote Charles Gomez Player Of The Year
Charles Gomez was the fans' choice as Merchantmen Player Of The Year over the 2008 season. In an internet poll, defensive tackle Gomez was one of nine candidates and won the voting with an overwhelming margin. Gomez received 64 percent of the votes, beating linebacker Bernie Surry and quarterback Louie Flannery, who came in second and third.

Gomez was happy with the honors: "It's always nice when the fans appreciate you. Getting All IHOF honors is nice, but if the fans like you, that's what really counts. It was a long and exciting season. I hope I can live up to the expectations the fans have now." Gomez received a 3D replica of the Merchantmen logo painted in the team colors and sealed in a glas jar.

The vote of confidence comes as a welcome booster to the team. The defensive players reacted shocked after hearing rumors the team would trade Charles Gomez away. General manager M.IJ.B. denies the rumors: "Gomez is the anchorman of our defense. Yes, we opted to trad him and had feelers with many teams. In the end we found out the cap trouble would be worse when trading him. And aside from that, most teams interested were playoff teams from our conference, teams we don't want to improve through trade."
Old 08-24-2005, 06:30 AM   #1018
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes
Worst draft ever...

Okay, I got to be honest, I liked the three guys we picked, but things don't look as bright after our scouting staff took a closer look to the players. I'm not shocked to hear QB Josh Webb isn't as good as advertised. We're used to that with quarterbacks. RB Jesse Vielma was downgraded more significantly and all of a sudden isn't so sure of making the 60-men pre-season roster, let alone the 53-men regular season roster. DE Wally Mattingly's potential was downgraded too, but in potential he's still ranked higher than all the other defensive linemen, except Charles Gomez. He'll survive, no question about it.

Changes in numbers:
pst dr - pr dr - chng - player
11/50 . 11/54 . 00/-4 . QB Josh Webb
24/36 . 24/42 . 00/-6 . RB Jesse Vielma
19/45 . 19/48 . 00/-3 . DE Wally Mattingly

What's next? We're going to sign seven free agents. Rookies and former restricted free agents, get your cell phones ready, we're going to hire seven of you for training camp! Seriously, we're going to give seven kids a shot at making our pre-season roster, but there isn't much more hope for them. Just face it, we've got 63 players signed once we signed the rookies to their contracts, we'll have to say goodbye to upto 10 players anyway soon!

For those wanting to know who the suspects are for leaving, they are:

QB Thad Pilkington - He could be traded to be battling for a #1 role elsewhere and/or to mentor a youngster elsewhere.

QB Justin McDavid - I love this guy, but he's no qb who will win games for us, simple. He's still a mentor though, so he could stay or leave to mentor a youngster somewhere.

QB Josh Webb - He has to show up in camp and pre-season or face getting released or traded soon. I know, he was a second round pick, but that's no guarantee to make the team.

RB Kyle Montoya - With the addition of Jesse Vielma, either as receiver or back, Montoya's time looks done with us.

RB Scott Bagley - If Vielma turns out to be better han Bagley as a back, we might go on without our backup kickoff returner. Yes, it's possible.

RB Winfred Hartfield - If somebody is definately going to leave the team it's Hartfield. We hired him to mentor our youngsters in training camp and pre-season, but the only way he makes our team after that is on injured reserve.

FB Robert Watkins - We need a backup fullback, but Watkins will have to step up to show he's that backup we want to have.
FB Henry Poston - Had he been a wide receiver, he'd been starting for a year or two now, but he's a fullback and has to show he can block and run. His potential won't bail him out this time to make the team as inactive guy.

C Heath Ferebee - I know we have only two centers, I truely want to keep one, but Ferebee is complaining and we can't use that.

G Brian Hammond - He's not likely to go, but if he does, it's in a trade to mentor youngsters elsewhere.

LT Harold Hurtado - What? Good Old Harry is likely gone? Yes, he is, the only way he makes the roster is as OL leader and potential backup guard.

RT Norman Holliday - No way back for Norman, it's do or die. Show up in camp and pre-season and you might survive the roster cuts.

LT Alfonso King - Welcome back, Fonzie. He should know he's only here to mentor Holliday and new guy Louis Bell through pre-season.

P Roscoe Corrales - We've drafted his replacement and only the kid's unwillingness to sign a contract kept us from releasing Corrales a season ago.

P Sean Smalley - Smalley will have to show he's been worth that second round pick, or face being released soon.

DE Aaron Sherrill - We have only four spots for defensive ends I fear and our 2007 starter may be the odd man in the bunch.

DT Andrew Rasmussen - The kid is soo good in potential and yet we keep him on the bench. Sorry Rasm', we'll give you a shot somewhere.

LB Omar Carpenter - Hi, welcome to the team, I hope you'll enjoy training camp with us. If you're lucky, you might play here in pre-season too.

LB Josh Weisberg - Josh the wise linebacker has been the great mentor of Bernie Surry and Mickey Kershner. We'd like to keep him, but you know, the numbers game.

LB Ellsworth Thelen - What? Elly is on the block? Yes, he is, Elly doesn't fit in our pass defense. Still, he's a great backer and will only leave in a blockbuster trade.

CB Adrian Wynn - Only recently joined the team, but he's not safe of making our roster. Thing is: he took the place of aguy who would have left us anyway.

CB Myron Stevens - No, not Myron! Yes, sadly, he could be the odd man in the big bunch.

SS Lamar Singleton - The green safety is slowly making progress. If he's lucky, he'll still be here in the 2009 regular season.

That's it for now, more news will come when the first free agency stage is over and the second free agency period starts. Keep reading.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 08-24-2005 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:56 AM   #1019
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Players Report For Training Camp
Training camp 2009 is coming up. Today the Maassluis Merchantmen players reported back from their summer breaks for the upcoming training camp. The Merchantmen have a couple of days to add players and negotiate with their three draft picks, but after that the preperation for the 2009 season really begins. As the players reported at the league office, all players were taking physical tests to see whether they are in shape for the season. Some turned out okay, some turned up as disappointments.

The main talk at the physical reports was about defensive tackle Shaun Shiroma, who showed up out of shape. Early reports from the coaching staff are that Andrew Rasmussen will hop over Shiroma on the depth chart if Shiroma doesn't step up in camp. This news comes as a surprise as both Rasmussen and Charles Gomez has been put on the trading block for a couple of weeks. General manager M.IJ.B. commented: "Shiroma's lack of discipline is going to cost him dearly. Rasmussen has been waiting for this opportunity and I bet he'll step into it."

Other disappointing performances at the physical testing were by some of the older players on the team. Left tackle Harold Hurtado turned 35 this spring and didn't look like the player that once won All IHOF second team honors. But general manager M.IJ.B. still sees a role form him: "Good old Harold has been a key player. He's still the leader of the bunch and will still make the perfect backup player at left guard. However, the tackle position is out of reach now, we've hired Louis Bell to play there."

Also downgraded on the depth chart could be Randy Harris. The long time starting running back was splitting carries with Joseph Schoen last season. General manager M.IJ.B. said: "Randy is still rumblin' Randy. He can get the job done, although he's clearly lost some of his speed and power. But then, he was arguably the best east-west running back in the league, he can still play that role for us."

Good news came from a couple of youngsters. Especially running back Scott Bagley and right tackle Norman Holliday were praised. But as both players will likely have to fight for their 53-men roster spots, it only kaes sense for them to work out in the spring break and show up in good shape. Holliday is still regarded the weakest of the tackles in experience and could only make the roster as fifth tackle. Bagley understands he has to focus on his kickoff return skills to make the roster. The addition of Jesse Vielma makes the competition there big.

Punter Sean Smalley was getting the biggest accolades. The second year pro was reported to have worked out hard in the off-season. General manager M.IJ.B. said: "Apparently Smalley is determined to be our punter come season start. We'll be working the phones to get Roscoe Corrales a job elsewhere, because Smalley is clearly going to win this pre-season positional battle. Providing we decide to keep Corrales through pre-season."

After the physical test, the Merchantmen management made some comments on te three rookies joining the team. Quarterback Josh Webb was called "green, but servicable" and is expected to "play in pre-season and make the team as #3 quarterback". Webb was offered a four-year contract today. Running back Jesse Vielma wasn't offered a contract yet. The management asked Vielma to play wide receiver for the team and the management is waiting to hear back from the scouting staff how thatwill work out. Defensive end Wally Mattingly is expected to make the roster as fourth end. He was offered a four-year contract.

With 63 players signed, including the three unsigned rookies, the Merchantmen have seven roster spots open for training camp. The management has been working the phones to send out offers to seven free agents. General manager M.IJ.B. said: "We're eyeing four rookies who could make our pre-season roster if they stand out in camp. Aside from them, we've also made offers to three veterans who can battle for backup roles."

On the question whether Dutch named tight end Winston Van Pelt would be offered a contract, M.IJ.B. said: "We've been talking with him, that's all you need to know." The Merchantmen are said to be happy about long snapper Charlie Martins, but some sources claim the team is looking to the rookie to take over as third tight end and long snapper. Charlie Martins was recently quoted saying: "I have my money on Winston Van Pelt. [Van Pelt] has been in the news a bit in Maassluis. I hear he's a guy like me." In a couple of days, we'll know who the 70 names for training camp are.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:19 AM   #1020
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Sign Three Rookies
Surrounded by journalists and cameras, the Maassluis Merchantmen yesterday announced the signing of three rookies to the Merchantmen roster. Second round pick Josh Webb, fourth round pick Wally Mattingly and undrafted free agent Gene Dewit were presented in their new orange-white-and-blue jerseys. Third round pick Jesse Vielma will be offered a contract today, while six other free agents, including some rookies have been approached to fill out the 70-men training camp roster.

Quarterback Josh Webb looked happy when he put his signature and received the #4 jersey. Webb: "I'm thrilled to be picked by the Merchantmen and look forward to working with Justin McDavid. He's from Utah, just like me, and played college ball in Texas, just like me." Asked about the small age gap, Webb wasn't worried about it: "McDavid has been doing great things. His comebacks... I couldn't keep it dry when he was announced starting against Asheville last season. Me and my roommate cried when he threw that second touchdown, it was so intens. Just wow."

Wally Mattingly had different reasons to be wanting to go to Maassluis. Mattingly: "If been a follower of Wally 'World' Wilcox." Mattingly was offered to play with Wilcox' #99, but he turned it down and decided to play with #70, saying: "It wouldn't be smart to set high expectations." Mattingly is expected to play the kind of role Wilcox had in his one season in Maassluis. Head Coach Leroy Van Der Woude said: "Wally will start as one of the guys in the rotation. If he plays well, he might become a starter. I hope he'll listen well to 'Big Al' (Albert Bernardo) to learn the tricks of the game."

Gene Dewit was a bit of a surprise signing. Dewit received offers from two teams and decided to pick Maassluis over Gothenburg. Dewit: "I know it will be a tough competition here to make the pre-season roster, but I will work hard and hope I get a shot. Plus, given my roots, playing in the Netherlands looked cooler to me." Head Coach Leroy Van Der Woude claimed that Dewit has a serious shot at making the pre-season roster: "The scouting staff rates Dewit as being a future starter in our system. He's still got a lot to learn, but we've given guys like Myron Stevens and Omar Gougeon time too, look where they are now."

The other news in Maassluis was surrounding Jesse Vielma. He was drafted as being a running back, but the Merchantmen management decided Vielma should fit in as a wide receiver. Vielma is trying to addapt to it and the team is going to offer him a contract today. General manager M.IJ.B.: "We expect Jesse to fit in as our #3 receiver. High expectations? We don't draft players to be released after camp, you know. We only want guys who have a shot at making the roster."

The names of six pursued free agents leaked into the news too. Top free agent running back Dana Stenstrom tops the list of players pursued. General manager M.IJ.B.: "We expect a big competition for Stenstrom. We don't really need another running back, having four capable runners, but it's worth a try." Next on the list is center Daryl Jordon, who has been a backup with the Boston Rhinos for four seasons since being drafted in the seventh round as a rookie. Other names are tackles Steven Stanislaw and Irving Rivera, cornerback Andy Mathews and tight end Winston Van Pelt.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:35 AM   #1021
Alf
Pro Starter

The RB to WR move for Vielma looks like a very wise move by th GM here. At least that's what my scout says.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:22 PM   #1022
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Sign Three Players
In a brief press conference, the Maassluis Merchantmen today presented three new players to the media. Jesse Vielma was the highly anticipated third round pick, who was said to shock the world with his receiving skills. Cornerback Andy Mathews and center Daryl Jordon complete the trio. Vielma is expected to challenge for a starting role, while the two others will be challenging for a roster spot in training camp.

Jesse Vielma, once a running back, today tagged as a wide receiver. Offensive coordinator Antonio Francis will have to do a lot, but Vielma looks to be in good hands. Francis: "Vielma is going to be the receiver we hoped to get in a long time. He'll know to get open and rack up some yardage after the catch." Vielma was still stunned by the position move, but said he is looking forward to his new position: "I hear Francis is the best coordinator in the league working with receivers. I hope I can live up to the hype."

Center Daryl Jordon is going to battle for a roster spot. Offensive coordinator Antonio Francis said: "We've got a good group of linemen, but we think Jordon can challenge Heath Ferebee for the backup role." Jordon was optimistic about his changes to make the 60-men pre-season roster: "Let's play ball and see where we get."

Cornerback Andy Mathews is the third new guy in town. Mathews played his college ball at Arkansas and has a good reputation as ballhawker. Mathews was happy about this opportunity: "Andy Weliczka tipped me. We played together at Arkansas and Andy told me I'd fit in the Merchantmen system. He prepared me to tell me the competition will be big, but I'll be ready."

The Merchantmen also received bad news as running back Dana Stenstrom turned down a one year contract. Stenstrom signed with the IHOF champions, Fairbanks NorthStars for the big money. Left tackl Irving Rivera decided to sign a contract with the Telluride Outlaws. Merchantmen general manager M.IJ.B. said: "The Outlaws offered Rivera more guaranteed money. And to be honest, Rivera would be unlike to make our 53-men roster, while the Outlaws can give him playing time."

The Merchantmen will still try to add the roster up to 70 players. M.IJ.B. said: "We're looking at our options and offered some other players a contract. We might get lucky and convince both Winston Van Pelt and Steven Stanislaw into signing with us, as well as the two players who's names we can't give away at this time."
Old 08-30-2005, 03:33 PM   #1023
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf
The RB to WR move for Vielma looks like a very wise move by th GM here. At least that's what my scout says.
Only time will tell how smart this move was. For now, I think Vielma is making a serious chance to move into being our #3 or #4 receiver.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:48 AM   #1024
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Press Release: Get Your 2009 Merchantmen Season Tickets Now!
Alright football fans, get ready for a great season. The Maassluis Merchantmen are on a mission and the stakes are high. The 2009 season won't be a success without a championship. So hurry and get your season tickets now, because Oranje Haven will be the place to see the Merchantmen face very interesting teams in the 2009 season. The usual European rivals will come to town, but there will also be the visits of the Rochester Lake Monsters, the Chesapeake Chitterlings, the San Antonio Volunteers, Frederick Red Menace and Boston Rhinos.

The first home game of the season is in week two against the Frederick Red Menace. The Menace were 13-3 last season, but once again failed under the pressure of showing their ability to win games in the playoffs. In 2009 they'll bring their usual stars like quarterback Jackie Percy and running back James Call, who are supported by one of the best offensive line in the IHOF. With cornerback Harold Worsham, middle linebacker William Nicholas and defensive tackle Lamont Volk, their defense will be a tough opponent. The Merchantmen lead the head-to-head series 1-0 after an upset win at the Menace in 2005, so expect a tough and close game.

Next up will be Futility Bowl VI. The Rochester Lake Monsters will return to Maassluis for the first time since the disaapointing playoffs exit the Merchantmen had in 2008. Quarterback Jackie Williamson saw his team improved more than ever as the Lake Monsters have gotten into win-now mode. Familair ex-Merchantmen faces will be defensive end Deon Chapa, who has become one of the best players at his position, and Amos Collins, Jackie Williamson's most loyal wide receiver. The Lake Monsters are 3-2 in head-to-head games, but the Merchantmen will be determined to tie the series.

The week after Futility Bowl VI it is the Boston Rhinos turn to visit Oranje Haven. With quarterback Robby Gonzalez passing to wide receiver David Marquis, the Rhinos will bring a threatening passing game. On defense, te likes of Francis Griffin, Barton Garcia, Richard Lozano, Emanuel Keever and Hal Kaan will be seen on their front seven to make the Merchantmen's pocket break. And with their strong offensive line they hope to keep Charles Gomez and co away from their rookie of the year running back Brian Patten.

What follows in weeks 10 and 11 will be the important home games against the two European rivals. The Bordeaux Vineyards will visit Maassluis first, the Gothenburg Giants will follow a week later. The Merchantmen have won their last four games against Bordeaux and by that time hope to be able to extend that series to six straight after a potential week one win on the road. The game against the Giants will be the first of the season and the Merchantmen hope to extend their winning streak at home against the Swedes to four in a row.

The last three games of the season won't be easy games either. John McMasters will bring his San Antonio Volunteers into Oranje Haven in week 13. This will be a great re-match of the first Merchantmen playoff game and victory in te 2007 post-season. Week 14 the Chesapeake Chitterlings will visit Maassluis to tie the head-to-head series. The Merchantmen managed a humiliating beating in the Chits house in the 2005 season with almost forgotten Leonard Lyon under center.

Week 15 will be the last home game of the season and will be regarded as the must-win game to make a third European division title reality. The Paris Musketeers have improved like they never have before, including the unexpected return of offensive tackle Wilson Grimaldo. But the Merchantmen have won the last four games against the Musketeers in Oranje Haven and will be expected to extend that to five wins in a row at home.

Get your tickets now, people, the pre-season is coming up and the Merchantmen will be hosting two very interesting teams, with the tickets being sold together with coupons for all kinds of goodies. The first pre-season game will bring the 2005 IHOF champions to Maassluis, as the Ann Arbor Anachronism will comes to town. If you're lucky, you might see the likes of Donald Woods, Matthew Board and John Q. Ballhawker in live action. In pre-season week four, the San Luis Obispo Burn will visit with quarterback 'Aces' Glenn, running back 'Chief' Wiggins, pass rusher 'Bull' Halsey and tackle machine 'Bones' Sherry in their ranks.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:32 AM   #1025
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Add For To 70-Men Roster
With great pleasure, the Maassluis Merchantmen today presented the full 70-men roster for training camp 2009. With the addition of four new players, the team filled out the to the maximum player total. Tight end Winston Van Pelt, wide receiver Ruben Deck, guard Brian Pritchett and tackle Steven Stanislaw are the new faces on the team. But although the four have been added together, they will have different roles during training camp.

Tight end Winston Van Pelt was the biggest addition of the day. At least that's what general manager M.IJ.B. said: "We liked Van Pelt, but couldnt afford giving up another draft pick. Van Pelt looks like he can be our longsnapper and third tight end. It'll be a bummer for Charlie Martins, but it looks like Winston is going to win that battle in pre-season." Pre-season, does that mean both player will make the 60-men roster? M.IJ.B.: "Nine players will be released after camp and we've pretty much decided on who it will be. I want to give Charlie (Martins) another shot at making our 53-men in pre-season."

Wide receiver Ruben Deck was a surprise addition. The 32-year old veteran has been the third receiver for Anaheim the past four seasons, but was let go as a free agent. The Orlando Knights had picked him up as a free agent recently, but they decided to let him go again after the draft. General manager M.IJ.B.: "Deck looks like a decent receiver. He'll definately have a shot to make our roster. The downer is him being on a one-year contract. But that doesn't mean the job of the young receivers is safe." Is that another sign of former second round pick Jerry Beyer being kicked from the team soon?

Guard Brian Pritchett won't be seeing much action in 2009. Pritchett tore the ACL in his right knee in a 13-6 win over the Telluride Outlaws last season. Nevertheless, the Merchantmen offered him a two-year contract to see whether he can live up to his old level of play in 2010. General manager M.IJ.B. said: "Pritchett will be put on injured reserve, but if he comes back good in 2010, we'll be happy to have him. He fits perfectly in the profile of what we seek in a guard." The Boston Rhinos let Pritchett go as a free agent after five seasons of service, but the Merchantmen have some faith in recovery for the unlucky player.

Tackle Steven Stanislaw is the least likely of the four newbies to make even the pre-season roster. In three seasons in the IHOF, Stanislaw bounced around a bit, but never managed to start a game. Stanislaw said: "I've been in Oranje Haven twice in my career and I have to say I was impressed by the big fan base. These guys have 75 thousand crazed Dutchman sitting in the stand every game. It's great to play for such crowds." But Stanislaw will have to outdo third-year pro Norman Holliday for the tenth offensive line position on the 53-men roster and will have to show up in camp to make the 60-men pre-season roster.

With 70-men signed, the pre-season preperation has begun. With 17 new players, and 53 remaining players, there will be some heavy battling for the roster spots. The Merchantmen management expects over 45 of the 53 players from last season will stick around, but you never know what happens. Especially at fullback, wide receiver, offensive tackle and in the secondary, the challengers for roster spots look promissing and may make the team say "goodbye" to long-time appreciated backups.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:21 AM   #1026
Alf
Pro Starter

Just let Van Pelt go back to FA, and that will be OK for me.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:29 AM   #1027
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf
Just let Van Pelt go back to FA, and that will be OK for me.
Van Pelt chose the 900K offer over the 910K offer to play for Maassluis instead of Bordeaux.

Some of these undrafted rookies sure have the right preference of which European team they want to play for. For safety Dewit taking us over Gothenburg, now Van Pelt. I guess it helps to be the European champs.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:43 AM   #1028
Alf
Pro Starter

He also choose the $200k signing bonus ahead of my no bonus backloaded contract offer
Old 09-01-2005, 04:08 PM   #1029
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: Training Camp Review
Bummer.

Yeah, I thought something else when I witnessed training camp fly by, but so be it. Let's run down the results of training camp by position group and list the potential casualties of the roster cut days to 60 and 53 men.

Quarterbacks
Louie Flannery looked like the end of 2007 Flannery that guided the Maassluis Merchantmen to 11 wins in 12 games. Thad Pilkington looked good again and should serve as the #2 quarterback in 2009. Sure, in 2008 we gave Justin McDavid a shot at starting, but Thad should be our #2 this season. McDavid made some progress in camp and was our third best passer Rookie Josh Webb made some progress in experience, but we also witness how much lower his potential is than advertised. All will stay through pre-season, unless we trade one of the tree backups for good value. Webb isn't guaranteed a 53-men roster spot though, even when the current calculations give us room for four quarterbacks.
Casualty 60: none
Casualty 53: QB Josh Webb?

Running backs
Randy Harris is getting older and it shows. He's still one of the fastest backs in the east-west running game, but north-west we should look at Joseph Schoen from now on. 'The Shoe' is the best we have now and there's no reason to not call him our starter. Scot Bagley made some progress and with his kickoff return specialty makes a fine #3. Kyle Montoya once again showed he's got his elusiveness but nothing else. Winfred Hartfield showed his breakaway speed, but we basically hired him to tutor Bagley and Montoya. Hartfield will be gone once the season starts, Montoya is still on the bubble to even make the pre-season roster.
Casualty 60: RB Kyle Montoya?
Casualty 53: RB Winfred Hartfield, RB Kyle Montoya

Fullbacks
Jamel Rosenberry was impressive as always all around. His running skills were amazing again and I think we should give him more carries in 2009 to boost our running game. Robert Watkins showed some fine run blocking skills and looked all around better than Henry Poston. The two got a shot at battling for the backup role and Watkins' experience might make him win. If Poston wins the pre-season roster spot, he's still not safe of a 53-men roster spot though.
Casualty 60: FB Robert Watkins or FB Henry Poston
Casualty 53: FB Henry Poston?

Tight Ends
Jim Reiser was impressive again and showed he's the number one guy in getting open on the team. With Reiser's decent blocking skills, ability to catch balls deep and work hard on special teams, he's still the starter. Arnold Ramirez' run blocking is still very good and makes him a loyal number two with good receiving skills. Charlie Martins got really worried. He's seen rookie Winston Van Pelt and noticed Van Pelt is the better blocker, but also the better long snapper.
Casualty 60: no
Casualty 53: TE Charlie Martins

Wide receivers
Bryce Ewald and Gregory Monti are the charter members of the team and look like te top two receivers once again. Newbie Ruben Deck was looking good in deep passes and racking up the yardage after catch. Jerry Beyer looked almost as good as Deck in those areas and hopes to win the battle of the two players. Jesse Vielma doesn't look readyto start games and his potential didn't look quite as good as before, but he's still looking like a potential very good possession receiver. Devin Henson will focus on kickoff return duties again, but might stick around as fourth receiver too. Deck, Beyer and Vielma battle it out for the two roster spots as fourth and fifth receivers.
Casualty 53: FL Ruben Deck or FL Jerry Beyer

Centers
Brant Heinrich was the best run blocker of the centers and sealed up another season as the starter. Heath Ferebee looked very good in pass protection, while newbie Daryl Jordon was looking good in run blocking. Jordon is the stronger guy of the two, but who stays might depend on potential trades. Either Jordon or Ferebee will have to go soon.
Casualty 60: C Heath Ferebeen or C Daryl Jordon
Casualty 53: none

Guards
Don't bother looking here, the survivors are pretty easy to identify, or aren't they? Butch White and Timothy Lacy will simply stay, easy. Bruce Pritchett will be placed on injured reserve, which means there are still only two guards active. Three with Brian Hammond included, a guy who should stay, but I'm not 100% confident I want him to stick around until his cotract ends at season's end.
Casualty 60: RG Bruce Pritchett to IR
Casualty 53: RG Brian Hammond?

Tackles
Okay, have we ever had as many as seven tackles on roster at the same time? Ivan Jacques has become the league's best pass protecting left tackle and makes him the safest bet to stay. Louis Bell makes a reliable backup left tackle, while Cornelius Rice was once again looking like a good all around blocker. Harold Hurtado is still the fourth best run blocking lineman on the team, but will likely stick to being the backup guard. Norman Holliday made good progress and will be mentored by Alfonso King for another pre-season. Steven Stanislaw took advantage of King's pressence, but won't stay much longer.
Casualty 60: RT Steven Stanislaw
Casualty 53: LT Alfonso King, RT Norman Holliday?

Punters
Sean Smalley had an impressive training camp and secured the punting job that was haning in the air for him. Roscoe Corrales' popularity with the fans won't bail him out this time. Corrales' departure is now only a matter of time.
Casualty 60: P Roscoe Corrales?
Casualty 53: P Roscoe Corrales

Kickers
Cary Coles and Al Bettis will once again be the field goals kicker and kickoff kicker respectively. The duo worked fine in the past and 2009 will be their fourth season in this duo role.

Defensive Ends
Five in, four out. Erwin Baranowski is the best guy all around and will stick around in that role. Omar Gougeon has proven to be a reliable pass rusher as well. Albert Bernardo has a good name in Maassluis and will be once again in a rotation backup role. Rookie Wally Mattingly is currently the least experienced, but with the mentoring of Bernardo, Mattingly should surpass Aaron Sherrill as fourth end soon. Mattingly's potential is like Gougeon's and that would make than a good duo for the future. Sherrill's best shot at making the final roster is on injured reserve now.
Casualty 53: DE Aaron Sherrill?

Defensive Tackles
We have Charles Gomez. And then there's a whole new battle for the second starting role. Andy Welickza is still a reliable run stopper and should play a lot. Andrew Rasmussen once again made a case for getting playing time, but having the more experienced Shaun Shiroma in front of him, it's once again tough for him. Weliczka and Shiroma as time shares should do much better than Rasmussen alone. End of story, all four should be able to stay.

Inside Linebackers
Cody Cluff is the best run defending inside linebacker in the league, and so he wants to be recognized as being that. Carl Meier still makes for a very good backup and should hang around for another season or two as the leader of the front seven. Omar Carpenter was hired for pre-season to play ball, but right now he's a longshot at making the pre-season roster. Carpenter's potential is only good and his experience is still lacking.
Casualty 60: ILB Omar Carpenter?
Casualty 53: ILB Omar Carpenter

Outside Linebackers
Mike Kershner is on a mission. 'Mickey' had a great training camp and is now fully ready to reclaim his starting role as weakside linebacker. Second year pro Bernie Surry is still the pass defense expert we wanted and should stick around on the strong side. Ellsworth Thelen is a very good run defender and makes a nice pass rush supporter, but 2009 doesn't look like being his season as a starter. Josh Weisberg is busy on his last stint in Maassluis. The mentor of the youngsters is losing it and knows his stay will likely be over after pre-season.
Casualty 53: WLB Josh Weisberg?

Cornerbacks
We brought in many guys to compete for the roster spots and most of them showed they can be good or better zone defenders. Tai Wayne of course jumped out as the best of the group. Winford Endicott is still the second best zone defender. Myron Stevens is third best, but knows that Xavier Clyburn has his interception skills to fall back on. Sammie Kennedy had a very good training camp and should make the active roster more often in 2009. Melvin Shelton hopes to stay as his mentor, whichrole he had in San Luis Obispo before, but it's no guarantee after pre-season. Adrian Wynn was brought in to challenge the rest, but is likely to fail. Andy Mathews showed his interception skills, but is really lacking in zone defense skills and will be out soon.
Casualty 60: RCB Andy Mathews, LCB Adrian Wynn?
Casualty 53: LCB Adrian Wynn, LCB Melvin Shelton?

Safeties
Here's another big group of players with several players having to go. Lincoln Gilmore is the perfect strong safety for this team and showed that. Broderick Schultz is still a god looking zone defender, but his other skills are lacking. That makes Emile William a great backup player to step in when needed. John Cole is still making progress and is good enough to be the fourth safety. Lamar Singleton isn't going to ever be better than Cole and should fear for his job once again. The same counts for rookie Gene Dewit, who enjoyed a short but good training camp stint in Maassluis.
Casualty 60: SS Gene Dewit, SS Lamar Singleton?
Casualty 53: SS Lamar Singleton?
Old 09-03-2005, 11:55 AM   #1030
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Get Down To 68 Men
In a quick trade, the Maassluis Merchantmen moved down to 68 players under contract a couple of days before the pre-season opener against the Ann Arbor Anachronism. Center Daryl Jordon and safety Gene Dewit were traded to the Conyers Condors for a 2011 seventh round pick. With three days to go, the Merchantmen are figuring out which eight players will be losing out and won't make the 2009 pre-season roster.

Gene Dewit was disappointed by the move, but realised he had little chance to make the Merchantmen roster. Dewit said: "This secondary is so good, all these guys have plenty of zone defense experience, there was no way I could make the roster. The Condors had a roster spot for me and so I'm happy with the move." Daryl Jordon was even happier as he said: "In Maassluis I was battling for a roster spot, in Conyers I'm pretty much guaranteed to be the backup center."

But with 68 players signed, the Merchantmen are not done making moves yet. Several players are on the trading block and look like they are headed out. General manager M.IJ.B. explains the situation: "Bruce Pritchett is headed for the injured reserve list, which leaves us seven players over the pre-season limit. A day before the game against the triple A's we'll announce the names, but some should be obvious. One of the fullbacks (Henry Poston, Robert Watkins) has to go, we've got two or three defensive backs too many and one of the offensive tackles will have to go too."

The story of long time punter Roscoe Corrales is also going to have a bad ending in Maassluis soon. M.IJ.B.: "We drafted Sean Smalley to replace him, but the process was halted when Sean decided to holdout. Right now, the time is there to give Sean the keys to our punting game. Roscoe has been a good guy for us and I think the fans will miss him. We are trying to give Roscoe a new home to guarantee he'll play somewhere in 2009." In a recent poll, Corrales ranked seventh on the list of most popular Merchantmen players, but still far behind the top three of Randy Harris, Louie Flannery and Justin McDavid.

The roster spot battle between fullbacks Henry Poston and Robert Watkins reached a new lowlight as the Merchantmen scouting department said neither is good enough to be an active roster member. The team is seriously opting to go with one fullback signed during the season, with tight ends Arnold Ramirez doing the backup duties. offensive coordinator Antonio Francis said: "Ramirez is our best run blocker of the non-linemen. He should do a fine job there." Especially the career of Poston has been disappointing in Maassluis so far, in two years on roster, he was active in only 16 games with 5 ball touches.

The saga of the secondary should be obvious. newbies Andy Mathews and Adrian Wynn were clearly the weakest of the zone defenders and didn't show the potential of becoming better than the rest of the players already are. But since the team is likely to releas another defensive back after pre-season, cornerback Melvin Shelton and disgruntled Lamar Singleton are the suspect of who might have to go. As Shelton has worked himself up to the leader of the gang and the peacemaker in the group, not to mention his friendship with Sammie Kennedy, Singleton's career in Maassluis might end after 25 games in three seasons as a backup.

The offensive linemen battling for the tenth roster spot in the group seem to be all offensive tackles. Alfonso King knows his faith, he's been released after pre-season before and is expected to see that happen again in 2009. Norman Holliday is the inexperienced backup who the Merchantmen have been high on for two years already. That should mean Steven Stanislaw's role is over in Maassluis. Still, Holliday is still green as grass and with the addition of Louis Bell, he'll be watching games from the stands on the inactive roster more often than not.

The most intersting name on the players who have to go is arguably Kyle Montoya. The fifth year pro running back has spent three season on the Merchantmen roster, yet has zero ball touches to show for it. His season in Bordeaux has been the one with carries and catches. Despite Jesse Vielma's move to wide receiver, Montoya has no change on making the active roster, barring injuries. Joseph Schoen, Randy Harris and Scott Bagley are the top three runners, with Schoen and Bagley having the asterix for being return specialists. Experts can see Montoya return to Maassluis at some point, after his second stint being over in most likely only a few days.

Last but not least, rumors about Maassluis trading a quarterback away are still up in the air. Both backups Thad Pilkington and Justin McDavid are still officially on the trading block, while Josh Webb could change teams after pre-season. General manager M.IJ.B. said: "We want to keep Webb to start our pre-season games for us, but after that we'll be looking for the options to trade one of the three backups. Honestly, we already build-in four quarterback spots on the 53-men roster, but one guy being traded away helps us keep players at other positions in a bigger role than fourth string quarterback." To be continued?
Old 09-05-2005, 02:50 PM   #1031
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Trade Popular Punter Corrales Away
Roscoe Corrales is no longer a Merchantmen player. In a quick trade, the Maassluis Merchantmen sent Corrales and a future seventh round pick to the Syracuse Mohawks for a fifth round pick. Ther only losers are the Merchantmen fans, who were high on Corrales.

Merchantmen general manager M.IJ.B. was happy: "Roscoe has been a charter member of the team. We knew his day of depature would come and we acted accordingly to draft Sean Smalley. It feels good to give him the opportunity to do punting duties elsewhere."

Corrales will now battle it out with Richie Andrews in Syracuse. Andrews was a fourth round pick in the 2006 draft for the Boulder Blizzard. After two seasons, Andrews was replaced and was picked up in the 2008 season to play for the Syracuse Mohawks. With a career average of 39.9 yards per punt, his stats don't stand out, but his last two seasons in Maassluis have been his two above 40.

The departure of Corrales sets the tone for a semi-rebuilding process in the Merchantmen's special teams unit. Reports are that rookie Winston Van Pelt is likely to replace Charlie Martins as the team's longsnapper. Josh Webb might take over holding duties from Louie Flannery and now Corrales has been officially replaced by Sean Smalley.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:32 PM   #1032
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Release Singleton, Five Others
The Maassluis Merchantmen today announced the release of six players. The Merchantmen had to get down to the roster limit of 60 active players. Six players were released, including Lamar Singleton, while one player was put on injured reserve. The move come on the day the before the first pre-season game against the Ann Arbor Anachronism.

Lamar Singleton was the most prominent name amongst the released players. Singleton was drafted in the fifth round of the 2006 draft and had been on roster ever since. In three seasons, Singleton never became a fulltime starter. Hopes were that Singleton would develop into a starter, but despite his on-going progress, his role only got smaller over time with the addition of more talented and experienced other defensivebacks. Singleton played xx games with the Merchantmen.

Guard Bruce Pritchett was placed on injured reserve. This move had been anticipated since training camp, but only now it became official. Pritchett is recovering from ACL knee surgery and is expected to not be fully recovered until about a month after the IHOF Bowl. But as Pritchett signed a two-year deal, he's expected to play in a backup role in 2010, providing his recovery goes well.

Cornerback Adrian Wynn's release may raise eyebrowse around the league. Wynn was recently acquired in a trade forguard Jasper Call. General manager M.IJ.B. explains: "It was a tough decission, but it was pretty quickly apparent that Wynn wouldn't make the 53-men roster. The competition in the secondary is big here. And Jasper Call was expected to be released in stead had he still been on roster."

Running back Kyle Montoya was another long-time member of the team who was released today. Montoya saw it coming after the drafting of Jesse Vielma, although expected to have a shot after Vielmawas moved to wide receiver. In three seasons with the Merchantmen and one with the Bordeaux Vineyards in between, Montoya didn't have a single carry for the Merchantmen.

Fullback Robert Watkins' release wasn't fully expected either. In their decission between Watkins and the green Henry Poston, experience wasn't the main factor. General manager M.IJ.B. said: "We don't expect to have our backup fullback to be on the active roster during the season. Keeping Poston was better for our cap situation in the present. But that doesn't mean Poston has clinched a 53-men roster spot."

Tackle Steven Stanislaw was expected to be released. The tackle battled with Norman Holliday and Alfonso King for the last two pre-season roster spots at the offensive line. Holliday's youth and King's role as a mentor cost Stanislaw hos job. King and Holliday now will strive to make the 53-men roster, which will be tough.

Cornerback Andy Mathews was the least surprising release. Mathews' interception skills were highly praised, as was his ability to support the run defense. General manager M.IJ.B. said: "Mathews has his unique skills, he might play nickelback or dimeback some day in the league, but he lacked the zone defense experience and potential to survive."

With these moves, two players who spent the 2008 season moving back and forth between the active and inactive roster have been released. This should warn the other players who spent most of the 2008 season as an inactive player. Fullback Henry Poston, tackle Norman Holliday, safety John Cole and defensive linemen Andrew Rasmussen and Aaron Sherrill will really have to show up in pre-season.

Last but not least, there are still on-going talks with several teams to trade one of four quarterbacks during or after pre-season. Thad Pilkington, Justin McDavid and Josh Webb are battling for two roster spots on the 53-men roster. General manager M.IJ.B.: said "We can keep all four of them, but I'd rather have us spent the roster spots elsewhere."
Old 09-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #1033
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Genera Manager Notes
0-2.

Oh and two. Thank the football gods this is just pre-season. After close losses to the Ann Arbor Anachronism (14-17) at the Fairbanks NorthStars (9-10), we're into a open weekend. Our last two pre-season games are coming up and will be interesting. How are our players doing so far?

QB Josh Webb hasn't impressed me yet. Well, maybe I'm biased, but the scouting staff says he didn't make progress in the learning proces. Still, with 26 of 42 passes completed (62%) for 2 td and 1 interception, he didn't do bad. But, in the relative short passing system we played, Webb threw for only 162 yards in about six quarters. But as Justin McDavid played his worst pre-season football ever, Webb is still in the race for making the roster as our #3 quarterback.

RB Scot Bagley has been doing great so far. With 79 yards versus Ann Arbor, Bagley made a case for being our #3 running back. His pre-season total now adds up to 110 yards rushing (5.5 per carry) and 58 kickoff return yards (29 per return).

FB Henry Poston is choking his last shot at making our final roster. With 2.1 yards per carry and 3.6 yards per catch, he's not even in the race. Well, aside from his receiving touchdown...

TE Winston Van Pelt hasn't impressed much, but as Charlie Martins isn't doing much better, Van Pelt might end up as our longsnapping number three tight end after all.

WR Jesse Vielma os our receiving leader so far. With 13 receptions for 88 yards, his yardage average isn't huge, but he's making a case with 16 yards after catch and msotly his touchdown. Jerry Beyer is looking over his shoulders, fearing for Vielma. With 3 dropped passes, Beyer isn't doing himself a good job. And Ruben Deck, the third guy in the race for two roster spots, has only 4 catches for 31 yards so far, which isn't earth shattering at all.

LT Harold Hurtado shows his run blocking skills once again. On the other side of the line it's RT Norman Holliday who's finally making a case for being somewhat decent. Holliday is still needing significant progress and good stats to make the 53-men roster.

On the defensive line, DE Aaron Sherrill, our fifth end, has made a case for staying. Leading the team with 1.5 sacks, Sherrill is still in contention for the last roster spot. And in all fairness, rookie Wally Mattingly has been far from impressive with 1 hurried pass and 1 tackle in 63 plays. In contrast, fourth tackle Andrew Rasmussen is playing well, with 1 blocked pass, 3 hurried passes, 4 tackles and 1 defended pass.

Bernie Surry showed his trade again withan interception in pre-season. He hasn't made any progress in developement though. But it is still unlikely that he will lose his starting job to Carl Meier or Ellsworth Thelen soon.

In the secondary, the ten roster spots are already given away to all the current players. Sammie Kennedy is still doing a terrible job, while the cornerbacks he knows from his San Luis Obispo Burn period, Melvin Shelton and Xavier Clyburn, are both dojng a good job of defendeding passes.

Last but not least, Sean Smalley is averaging 43.1 yards per punt, but has only 2 in-twenties on 17 attempts. Al Bettis scored on 3 of 4 field goal attempts and on both extra points.

That's all for now, except that I still have to tell about how our defensive game plan has kept pass heavy Ann Arbor and Fairbanks both down. We've allowed only 175 passing yards per game and 68 rushing yards per game. Yeah, sure, those were their backups playing. But look at our playing backups and the best players on the field have been the opposing quarterbacks.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:15 PM   #1034
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Gossip News: Fumblin Justin About To Leave Maassluis
You say Maassluis Merchantmen and the first player people think of is not four time All IHOF selection Charles Gomez, not their winning quarterback Louie Flannery, not four-time 1,000-yard back Randy Harris and not left tackle Ivan Jacques. Nope, it's Justin McDavid, better known as "Fumblin' Justin". And there's big news about McDavid: he's headed out of Maassluis.

Our sources report that at least five teams in the IHOF have recently contacted the Merchantmen to acquire one of their three backup quarterbacks after pre-season. Orlando, Boulder, Minnesota, Anaheim and Georgia have all been linked with Maassluis. By the recent rumors of the Williamsburg Colonials being close to a deal with the Merchantmen make this an easy rumor.

Justin McDavid once was an infamous starter in Maassluis. He beat the competition named Leonard Lyon for the starting job back in 2005 and then turned into a winner with the stats of a loser. In recent years, He's been a standout pre-season passer and last season managed an upset win in his comeback game as a starter. And Williamsburg has a familiar face running the team, the first president of the Fumblin' Justin Fan Club.

The icky part in the whole story is that the Merchantmen have advertised or at least talked trade about all three quarterbacks. In fact, our reliable source claim that three teams are talking, each for a different quarterback. Williamsburg is clearly in the mix, but who the other two teams are is a mystery. A strange situation arose and make the rumor mill in Maassluis work 24/7.

McDavid responded saying: "I like being in Maassluis. The fans have been great and that comeback was awesome. I realise Louie Flannery will start, but the backup job is up for grabs and I'm not going to fumble it away." With a sense of humor, McDavid strikes first. He knows Thad Pilkington struggled in limited time last season and the Thad might be headed out.

Rookie Josh Webb was quoted saying: "I doubt the Merchantmen used a second round pick on me to put me on inactive." But as one IHOF owner claimed the Merchantmen draft players to trade them, Webb is also in the mix. But as after seeing Lamar Singleton, Kyle Montoya and Roscoe Corrales getting canned the past off-season, McDavid realises his job is more in jeopardy than ever before. Webb and Thad are the best number two and number three the Merchantmen ever had.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:46 PM   #1035
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Enjoy Open Week
The IHOF pre-season continues to move on, but the Maassluis Merchantmen have little news to report. The Merchantmen didn't play in week three. The second and last pre-season home game is against the San Luis Obispo Burn. All fans should not forget to go to the game to attend autograph sessions with top player Louie Flannery, Charles Gomez and other starters, who will wlak around in Oranje Haven during the game. On the field, Josh Webb will get another shot at quarterbacking the team to victory, while on defense the likes of Bernie Surry, Arnold Ramirez and Myron Stevens will try to hold of the Burn offense.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:14 PM   #1036
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Lose Third Pre-Season Game
Oranje Haven was loaded with fans, but they didn't get what they wanted. The Maassluis Merchantmen lost 16-17 to the San Luis Obispo Burn. Three quarterbacks saw action for the home team, but they couldn't avoid the loss. Rookie Josh Webb connected with rookie tight end Winston Van Pelt for the only Merchantmen touchdown of the day. Al Bettis converted three short field goals to fill out the points.

While the game was going on, the 14 inactivated Merchantmen players walked around in the stands to sign autographs to the fans. Louie Flannery said: "We have the biggest fan base in the league, we have to show they their money's worth. The fans here are amazing and they deserve this."

Cornerback Tai Wayne spent most of the night in the family area. Wayne said: "It's amazing how much these kids know about football. Back in the States, I wondered how this team could get so many fans. But it's like an epidemic. It quickly caught around, if there are 70,000 fans in this stadium it's disappointing."

Linebacker Cody Cluff complained about a sore wrist: "Mickey (Mike Kershner) and I walked around the hard core fans zones. We've been shaking hands and handing out autographs for three hours. The game was a bit disappointing in score, but the second half play showed that the reserve players are determined to make the final cuts. Aaron Sherrill and Myron Stevens looked good and I hope for 'em they make it."

Aaron Sherrill is one of the players fighting for a roster spot. The Merchantmen drafted rookie Wally Mattingly and the newby hasn't been doing so bad at all. Sherrill added a sack versus the Burn to add upto 2.5 in three games. Sherrill said: "I'm trying to show I'm worth it. And if it means I have to leave Maassluis, at least I can show some stats to convince other teams to pick me up. But for now, I just work hard and try to get back into the Merchantmen line up."

Quarterback Josh Webb once again did his best to convince the Merchantmen management about him being the future #2 guy. Webb completed 10 of 14 passes for 117 yards and a score, without interception. Webb said: "Things went well. All the guys work hard to protect me or to get open. Too bad we didn't win." Head coach Leroy Van Der Woude was skeptic: "Webb plays well in games, but in training sessions he doesn't show he's that future #2 guy. Webb will have to show some progress soon, or he might even be looking for a new home before the season start."

Fullback Henry Poston is another player in the in-or-out talks. With 42 yards on the ground, Poston lead the Merchantmen and showed some speed. With 3 receptions, Poston was a tied leader in another statistical categorie, but he failed to rack up the yardage. Andc Poston also haf a recovered fumble. Poston said: "I think I played well. The Burn defense looked good, but I'm glad I managed to make some plays and show I should be on the active roster this season."

At the end of the day, the fans decided to honor Justin McDavid once again. McDavid came on the field after Webb completed a 33-yard pas to Jerry Beyer early in the third quarter. McDavid completed all four of his passes, ran for 9 yards and saw his team score on both drives he was active in. Early in the fourth quarter, McDavid was replaced with Thad Pilkington. Thad almost guided the team to a fourth quarter comeback win, until he saw a pass intercepted with a minute to go.

The Merchantmen went thourgh the game injury free and still see no injured players, aside from long-term injured Bruce Pritchett. The last pre-season game is at the Minnesota Miners. The Merchantmen hope to win that last game to boost their confidence a bit after losing the first three pre-season games. The total score was close at 39-44 in three games, but points don't lie. But then, getting through the last game injury free as the biggest wish the team has. Everybody's longing for the regular season...
Old 09-15-2005, 05:07 PM   #1037
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: 53-men roster cuts day
Finally, pre-season is over!

Okay, it's been a fun ride, but now it's time for the real things, the regular season. With four losses in as many games (We lost at the Minnesota Miners 16-19 in week five), our scores looked bad, but given that we lost by a combined 8 points, there's no reason to feel bad. A couple of youngsters made good progress, most notably tackle Norman Holliday. And some player lost their jobs, but don't know yet. It's not official, but here's the early preview on what will be happening to get down to 53-men.

First of, we traded Alfonso King to the Syracuse Mohawks. The Mohawks showed interested in a veteran Merchantmen player, but after alks broke off, we returned the favor by offering King and another player. The Mohawks management was happy to offer us a 2011 sixth round pick for King. Without trade,King would have been placed on injured reserve.

Second, we're moving two players to the injured reserve list. Defensive end Aaron Sherrill is the most promenent name. The 2007 campaign starter has sunk into the fith role and will be missing the first five weeks of the season with an elbow injury. Without injury, Sherrill would hae been released. Cornerback Melvin Shelton will join him. Shelton suffered a broken toe and has been strategically placed on the injured list.

The four remaining moves are the releases of four players. Tight end Charlie Martins is the most emotional cut. Martins has been a reliable long snapper for the past four seasons, but the addition of Winston Van Pelt made Martins dispensable. The three others were off-season additions who were alreadyunlikely to make the 53-men roster. Linebacker Omar Carpenter, running back Winfred Hartfield and wide receiver Ruben Deck. Deck looked good enough to survive the cuts, but his pre-season stats didn't look so great afterall.

With that, we say "Goodbye." to five players from the 2008 roster and say "Hi!" to seven new players, of which two are on injured reserve. This marks the smallest turnover in player names in Merchantmen history and potentially the smallest turnover in league history by any team. So, what are the overall effects of players in and out?
Out: RB Kyle Montoya, TE Charlie Martins, G Jasper Call, P Roscoe Corrales, S Lamar Singleton
In: QB Josh Webb, TE Winston Van Pelt, WR Jessie Vielma, G Bruce Pritchett (IR), LT Louis Bell, DE Wally Mattingly, CB Melvin Shelton (IR)
Old 09-17-2005, 03:37 PM   #1038
MIJB#19
Coordinator

2009 Week One Preview: Let The Games Begin!
Enough with that pre-season stuff, it's time for the real thing. The Maassluis Merchantmen went 0-4 in pre-season, but the management doesn't worry. The first test of he new season brings the Maassluis Merchantmen to one of their biggest rivals, the Bordeaux Vineyards. The two-time European champions are visiting the three-time European champs, sitting on a four-game winning streak against the Vineyards. The Merchantmen roster has hardly changed, so things should be all okay, right?

Bordeaux is still Bordeaux. Studly quarterback Joe Johnson, highly touted runner Billy 'Bam Bam' Jamerson (135 total yards career versus Maassluis) and wide receiver Martin Mathias on offense. The defense is still anchored by defensive tackle Joey Hammer and defensive end Harold Wells. Especially the name of Hammer makes the Merchantmen fear this game, Hammer is the hearth of their defense, the Vineyards' own Charles Gomez, sans the pass rush pressure, of course. The addition of cornerback Antonia Nygaard might bring along the needed shutdown corner the Vineyards lacked. Maassluis didn't get worse, but Bordeaux might have gotten better.

The Merchantmen are going to test their team in a rough schedule this season. Lucky for them, the entire division will be tested, but the goal is once again simple. Head Coach Leroy Van Der Woude explains it: "The management told us we need to do anything we can to go 5-1 inside the division. In other games, they'll decide who's playing, but against European opponents, the best players will play at all cost. It worked the past two seasons and apparently they think this group can manage it again."

This group? Have the masters of trading stopped trading and gone to a new strategy? Well, the analysis team is working on it, but with only five new players on the 53-men roster, the Merchantmen might be the least change team in IHOF history. And that only few years after two huge rebuilding seasons that made the team quickly turn from a 1-15 doormat to a 13-3 cinderella story.

Quarterback Justin McDavid said he looks forward to 2009: "Everybody knows we got the same group that went to the AOC game. Last season's playoffs game was a dissaster, but we trained on a new game plan and the management is confident it will work against teams like Rochester and North Plainfield. Only time will tell, but it's gonna be a fun ride." McDavid will likely be back to fourth string, what does he think about it? McDavid: "Well, Josh (Webb) is the future #2 guy, that's the plan. I wish I could have kept that role, but 'Webby' was amazing in pre-season and I sucked. PLain and simple. The kid is having troubles to pick it up so far, but he should be fine by 2011."

Defensive end Albert Bernardo is still around, but 'Big Al' once again saw a new face jump over him on the depth chart. Bernardo: "It's the faith of a team player. The management likes to invest in young guys and so far it worked. Bummer for Aaron (Sherrill) for being on IR, but we'll still have four great guys to pressure the quarterbacks. Erwin (Baranowski) is a world class guy, 'Goug' (Omar Gougean) has proven himself and Wally Mattingly."

Good old Harry (Harold Hurtado) is confident about a new great chapter in the book about he Merchantmen. Hurtado explains: "Last season, we never complained about injuries, but on the line, things were worse than everywhere else, even Paris. We missed three starters week in week out, with one or two others playing on painkillers. This season, with Louis Bell around, we should be able to survive through 20 games. Yeah, we're going all the way now, only life without Louie can be tough."

Louie Flannery has faith in his offense, just like lots of others. "2008 was a down season for us. But we'll get over it." About potential injury, Flannery said: "I'm not irreplacable. Justin McDavid did a good job against Asheville and the game against San Antonio we lost on a misprint in the game book. We got confused and gave away a 3-0 lead in the fourth quarter. The new game plan looked good versus Ann Arbor and Fairbanks in pre-season, I think we should be doing well with it. Josh Webb was amazing in pre-season with it too, he's either a wonder kid, or the plan works. Or both. Or it's all coach's fault!"

Last but not least on the list of commenting players was Myron Stevens. The fourth year cornerback has been a regular contributor in the past three seasons, with 16 starts and activity in 47 of 48 games. 2009 could be a different story. Stevens: "The secondary is getting really good here. When a guy like Lamar Singleton is released, you know it's gonna be tough to make the active roster. We've got nine very good to excellent defensive backs. I mean, Sammie Kennedy is coming up strong, John Cole improved in pre-season, and those were the number eight and nine guys last season."

The Merchantmen are ready for a new season, but with the competition named Bordeaux looking stronger, winning in week one is no guarantee. In the past five seasons, the Merchantmen twice started with a win and both those seasons they reached the playoffs after winning the European division. The seasons with a loss in week one, they missed the playoffs. But then, this is the first road game start since 2004. Bordeaux is 4-1 in season openers. The win over the Merchantmen in 2006 was Louie Flannery's first competitive pro game. The same Flannery that's 4-2 all time against Bordeaux. Let the games begin!
Old 09-19-2005, 03:56 AM   #1039
Alf
Pro Starter

I predict one INT by Nygaard and on SACK by Wells. As for the score, well, a Bordeaux victory indeed
Old 09-19-2005, 04:47 PM   #1040
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Editor's Note: 2009 Season Coverage
The first game has been played, but I haven't taken time to write a game recap yet. GIven that my personal schedule is completely different until mid January, I might be time strapped to less, previews, recaps and other articles during the week. In the meantime, grab a copy of IHOF Monthly Volume 2, Issue 1.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:34 AM   #1041
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf
I predict one INT by Nygaard and on SACK by Wells. As for the score, well, a Bordeaux victory indeed
Ding, ding Guess who was right. Well, actually Wells got 3 sacks, Palyer of the Game and 7 weeks of injury on the last play of the game. But a win vs the division rival Merchantmen for the title is always a good way to start a season.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:18 PM   #1042
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Editor's Note: 2009 Season Coverage
I still haven't had time to write some recaps of games. I wish I had the time, but I just don't have it right now. I'll try to get something up on Sunday to recap the first two weeks. Not that it will be great news to read, we haven't scored a single touchdown yet. And you can always visits the IHOF site to get up to date!
Old 09-24-2005, 06:57 AM   #1043
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Merchantmen Have Worst Season Start Ever
Things are looking bad in Maassluis. The 2009 IHOF season started with two losses for the European champions. In two games, they couldn't even score a single touchdown. Around the league people are pointing their fingers towards quarterback Louie Flannery, who seems to sturggle. All in all it resulted in the second 0-2 start in franchise history. The first and only previous time the Merchantmen finished the season at 1-15, it doesn't bode well right now.

Two games, two losses. With the other European teams being in good shape, the Merchantmen are already two games behind the Bordeaux Vineyards and Gothenburg Giants, while the Paris Musketeers also look good after a 10-7 win over the Williamsburg Colonials. With 9 points scored and 45 points allowed, the score board looks bad for the Dutch team. What's going wrong?

"Nothing," said headcoach Leroy Van Der Woude, "we've just had some bad luck." Isn't Van Der Woude a bit naive there? Van Der Woude: "We knew this was going to be a tough season, but there are no excuses for the losses. Everything that can go wrong, goes wrong. But we've always bounced back. This team loves to come out of an underdog role and upset the opposition. We're determined to make sure we won't start the season 0-3. It would be Merchantmen unworthy. And if we win the next three, we will tie a best season start ever."

Louie Flannery is currently heavily critisized in the local media. Flannery completed 31 of 70 passes for 372 yards and 6 interceptions. The first touchdown has yet to come. Flannery pointed to injuries: "I'm missing Devin Henson. He's the perfect target in touchdown situations. Devin makes key places and helps other receivers to get open as he runs his patterns."

Jerry Beyer is the other offensive player critisized. The third year pro was expected to break out, but with 1 catch and 1 dropped pass in two starts, Beyer doesn't look good. And the running game isn't so great either, as Randy Harris and Joseph Schoen so far combined for 118 yards.

On the defensive side of the ball, cornerback Tai Wayne is getting the media attention. In two games he allowed 14 catches, while defending only 1 pass. Wayne said: "It's freaky. We gambled on the pass against the Frederick Red Menace, but they kept making plays, kept making plays. It's probably a cohesion thing, that offense has been together for so long, even blindfolded Jackie Percy can connect with his receivers."

Charles Gomez has escaped the missery so far. The all world defensive tackle made 15 tackles and 2 sacks. Gomez said: "It's too ealry to panic. We've always lost a game or two a season in an old fashion steamwalzing. We'll right the ship and get things going soon enough. But with the tough schedule, the fans should be happy if we can be 4-4 at mid-season."

The 0-2 start makes the loyal fans think back to the horrible 2004 season. With one win in sixteen games, the Merchantmen clinched the #1 overall pick back then. The roster is basically the same that went 13-3 and 9-7 the past seasons, with two division titles, but the first two games made the Dutch team not look good. Some clame the Merchantmen were a fluke, but headcoach Leroy Van Der Woude put that into perspective: "Since I've been here, the team has gone 38-35. If that is all a fluke, then I'll be damned if the three-time conference title for the North Plainfield Plague isn't a fluke."
Old 09-24-2005, 09:42 PM   #1044
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

3 fgs and 0 tds, eek
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 10:13 PM   #1045
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

will the Merchantman trade for a QB before the trade deadline?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 05:30 AM   #1046
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Gossip News: Merchantmen Talking Trade
The Maassluis Merchantmen are working on an impact trade. Gossip News' spy reporter D.E.Viser picked up part of conversations about the Merchantmen working the phones for a trade. Some say the team is looking for a quarterback, others say it could be just another offensive linemen. And some claim they could be trying to get another cornerback after the struggles of the secondary against the Frederick Red Menace.

It's not like they have a choice, the Merchantmen are ranking last in the AOC power ratings after two games. Not a surprise after not having scored a signel touchdown and ranking last in scoring. The last Merchantmen touchdown was Bernie Surry's fumble recovery against the Paris Musketeers in week 17 last season. The team has been without an offensive touchdown for the last 14 quarters of football, ever since Louie Flannery connected with Joseph Schoen against Paris in the second quarter of the week 17 game.

But Louie Flannery isn't getting things done this season. With 6 interceptions versus no touchdowns in two games, he's looking worse than in his rookie years. Opponents can simply wait for him to make a mistake or three and turn them into points. Thad Pilkington has yet to show his winning football skills in Maassluis, while Justin McDavid is a living legend, but no IHOF starter. Rookie Josh Webb looked good in pre-season, but that doesn't count for making him a good quarterback.

The first suspect is Vinnie Simmons. Simmons is still starting for the Brooklyn Fightin' Bums, but after an 0-2 start, the fans are screaming for Mario Hudson. Hudson was the 2008 IHOF comeback player of the year and Maassluis is said to be interested in Simmons. But cap troubles could make that impossible. Impossible, unless the Merchantmen can talk defensive tackle Charles Gomez into a pay cut.

The second option is a new offensive lineman. The Merchantmen are in a win-now mode and could use some upgrades on the line. Aside from left tackle Ivan Jacques, the line is looking shaky and unable to protect their passer or make the running back threesome of Randy Harris, Joseph Schoen and Jamel Rosenberry rack up the yardage.

The biggest need in Maassluis could be a new cornerback. Tai Wayne has allowed 14 catches in two games and is far from happy. But things are not as usual in Maassluis. Winford Endicott and Myron Stevens have hardly played a down in the secondary, while they used to be the #2 and #3 corners in the 2007 season. Others blame it all on safety John Cole, who used to be the locker room.

Our local reporter thinks he figured it all out. D.E.Viser: "Forget Vinnie Simmons. He's having the same problems as Flannery, he's prone to interceptions and won't be your guy to make a great two-minute warning rally. Given the interception struggles, Thad Pilkington would still be the best fit to take Flan's place. Cyril Cheung from Syracuse would be the best fit, he's smart and on the trading block."

D.E.Viser added: "I hear the Merchantmen are working the phones for a cornerback too. Xavier Clyburn hasn't been looking good as the starter opposite Tai Wayne. Myron Stevens seems to be passe in Maassluis, he hasn't even been activated yet. And Winford Endicott has been riding the bench and only been on the field on special teams. My money is on RayCo's Joseph Jones. I've heard the Merchantmen tried to get him before and will do so again."

Cyril Cheung and Joseph Jones. Those are the names y'all should write down. Expect one of the two, or maybe even both to be playing in a Merchantmen uniform soon. As soon as we know more, Gossip News will be all over it and let y'all know.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:58 PM   #1047
Alf
Pro Starter

other sources said : Bordeaux QB Earnest Barlow is available for trade
Old 09-26-2005, 01:28 PM   #1048
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf
other sources said : Bordeaux QB Earnest Barlow is available for trade
That would be hilarious. On the other hand, we could use a new 5th string quarterback.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:01 PM   #1049
Alf
Pro Starter

Barlow had a 2-1 TD Int ratio on his 2nd season. Now he enters his 3rd, just coming into prime time ^^
Old 09-30-2005, 04:50 PM   #1050
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Editor's Note
My fellow loyal readers,

The adjustment of lifestyle has severly cut my inspiration to write pieces for this dynasty. Time is there, but getting my mind to writing has been a problem the past four "real life" weeks. My beloved Merchantmen have gone 0-3 so far, with two big losses and without scoring a single touchdown this season. Louie Flannery is the center of all attention, having completed less than 50% of his passes, with 8 interceptions and zero (sigh...) touchdowns.

The good news? We can still stop the run. Well, to be honest, I wouldn't expect anything else from a defense featuring Charles Gomez, Cody Cluff, Mike Kershner, Bernie Surry, Lincoln Gilmore and Andy Welizcka. The rest is all terrible. From our turnover margin -8, through our red zone offense (16 points in 11 visits), to 65 yards rushing per game. There's no good news. None! Okay, except for the fact that Jerry Beyer, Jesse Vielma, Wally Mattingly, Sammie kennedy and Josh Webb are slowly making progress, while Sean Smalley reached his potential after having played only 5 professional games. But other than that, no good news.

Something else? Well, I'll be investigating my game plan and I might, I repeat, might revamp the offensive game plan for our next game on the road at the Syracuse Mohawks. What have we to lose? Not much. I mean, we have the toughest schedule of all teams imaginable. You don't believe me? I've checked out our 16 opponents this season all are 3-1 after four games except for two teams being 2-2, one being 2-1 and one being 4-0. It's going to be a tough season, as expected. I'm gonna dig some stuff up and hope to present a game plan soon enough that should work.

For now, I can't promiss being an active writer. As it is, I have been lacking the time to do my other writing stuff as well, it's not just with this dynasty report. I hope to get back to it soon and get back into my writing mode as of the team's highlight season, when I was presented with that awesome Golden Scribe for this dynasty.

Maybe Sunday...

Your favorite writer ,

Matthijs / MIJB