Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #1001
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just so I don't feel like I'm sneaking around to do it, I'm going to mention this out loud here. My next objective is to buy the f'n donkey.

I'm level 13 going on 14 and still haven't selected a character class so far in order not to lose the speed bonus. While the greenhorn travel speed is still apparently a lot better than what you get from the donkey, I figure that the slow travel will feel a little less harsh with something to help it a little. I've only bought like $20 worth of clothing gear to date and those were both aimed at getting access to tasks in order to make more money for the collective pool.

I really don't know at this point who has or hasn't bought what for themselves but I really feel like it's time for me to do this for my character & didn't want to feel like I was sneaking around to do it. So there, now you know.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-20-2009 at 05:00 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #1002
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just so I don't feel like I'm sneaking around to do it, I'm going to mention this out loud here. My next objective is to buy the f'n donkey.

I'm level 13 going on 14 and still haven't selected a character class so far in order not to lose the speed bonus. While the greenhorn travel speed is still apparently a lot better than what you get from the donkey, I figure that the slow travel will feel a little less harsh with something to help it a little. I've only bought like $20 worth of clothing gear to date and those were both aimed at getting access to tasks in order to make more money for the collective pool.

I really don't know at this point who has or hasn't bought what for themselves but I really feel like it's time for me to do this for my character & didn't want to feel like I was sneaking around to do it. So there, now you know.

Same here, thats definitely on my radar.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #1003
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Im leaning towards sticking with the 2 towns and leveling them up. With these type of games, a lot of folks like to try them out, but we end up losing people after a few weeks. Now if only we had another builder above 150 to come help out in Troutville

That is a good point, possible the strongest in my mind right now about keeping with our two towns and taking a wait and see on the third.

Quote:
I'll add another thought here too, El Dolado has three residents at the moment, two if a builder goes elsewhere. There hasn't exactly been a rush for permanent residency since the town reached level two. And there may not be one for a while, considering movement between towns for shopping + split needs for resources + not being duelable when unattached.

In some ways that does make an argument for a third town I think (and definitely makes going past level two residences on the existing ones a low priority TFN in my mind) but at the same time I'm not sure that we're going to do anything moreso than split resources for limited benefit. I'm not sure it wouldn't do something more positive than that either, just not sure it would.

edit to add: Plus, in addition to Brian's observation about seeing how many players stick around, I'm not entirely sure how many of the ones that remain active are going to want permanent residency anywhere. Give or take a little, I'd say roughly half (or a little more) of the FOFC'ers playing have made a contribution to either town or asked in to shop or sleep. As we've seen in other games, some players eventually prefer to play with other factions/clans/families/companies/etc, we really don't know how many of the FOFC'ers playing will end up wanting to be in an FOFC town. Nothing wrong with that at all, I'm solidly behind the idea of playing however you want to play that keeps you interested (see me playing Syrnia almost entirely solo minus help from a couple of FOFC'ers for over three years & counting) , so please nobody take that as me being critical of the choice in any way. Just saying it's something that belongs in the consideration somewhere, that's all.

While it's true that some players will be all right playing on their own, or with a town that's not FOFC, I think we've not had a rush to join the town permanently because we've pretty much made it known that we need people to come in, donate and then leave. We'd probably see some who would be happy to stay in town if we allowed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Should we be looking at raising our hotel level so people get more benefit from their rest time?

Quote:
The thought has crossed my mind, that's for sure.

It's probably either that or level one gunsmith, but do we even have any idea of how many people need level one weapons at this point? I can't tell whether I've been lucky in finding several different weapons so far or if that's the norm.

Remember one thing about the hotel of level 2. While it gives you 72 points of rest over 8 hours (or 9 per hour vs 8 per hour at level 1), it does cost $40 instead of $10 for non residents, group which is most of the FOFCers who are resting in our hotels. Leveling up the hotel makes a lot more sense once you got the residences up and you are able to have all your people as members of the town...

I went with two hours on the gunsmith, but now I kind of regret it, since you make a very valid point that level one gunsmith probably won't bring us anything that the wild wouldn't... Anyway, I should have the gunsmith up with maybe one more hour after those two...

Level 3 tailor, or improving the town hall could be next. Improving the town hall will make it faster to improve future buildings. Now that we've covered the basics, town hall could become something nice for the future of the town...

And level 3 tailor really is where some really useful stuff starts showing up, much more so than general store level 2.

Mortician still isn't super necessary, as I don't think we've had any attacks so far...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 04-20-2009 at 05:06 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #1004
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

guys, save up and go buy the donkey, it's very useful for your character...

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #1005
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
I'm currently roving around Troutville and would be willing to become a builder if that's what the community agrees we need more of...whether that's in Troutville or the proposed 3rd town. Let me know, I'm close to leveling up again...level 6 is in my sights!!

I think its safe to say we need a couple more. However, just my opinion, but any character that hasn't gone with a "pure" builder build isnt a good fit (unless you're fairly high in level, like FM). Gets very spendy to level the town, so every little LP means a lot in the long run.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #1006
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I think its safe to say we need a couple more. However, just my opinion, but any character that hasn't gone with a "pure" builder build isnt a good fit (unless you're fairly high in level, like FM). Gets very spendy to level the town, so every little LP means a lot in the long run.

that's true, you are even higher than me in construction labor points, so my 120 LP mark is probably going more up to 130 or so.

People who want to build, please share your gross labor points for construction, that is 3*construction+repairing+leadership. Put on your best clothes to calculate your skills too.

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #1007
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
Put on your best clothes to calculate your skills too.

I think the job calculator (thewestinsider.com) does that for you, while the weststats.com one does not (unless you tick the right check boxes) ... right?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #1008
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I think the job calculator (thewestinsider.com) does that for you, while the weststats.com one does not (unless you tick the right check boxes) ... right?

yes, yes they do. Just didn't want him to go to his character skill sheet and simply add up the skills and then have his character look weak.

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #1009
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

While it's true that some players will be all right playing on their own, or with a town that's not FOFC, I think we've not had a rush to join the town permanently because we've pretty much made it known that we need people to come in, donate and then leave. We'd probably see some who would be happy to stay in town if we allowed it.

This is me to a T .. I'd be perfectly happy joining a town and staying. I feel like I am inconveniencing people to ask for invites, so for now have been trying to collect more money before I join and donate again.

I'm not a builder so it doesn't really help the town much otherwise to have me in it, so no big deal here either way.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #1010
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Just so I know we're on the same page, what you're saying is because I've been building a more balanced character I wouldn't be a good candidate for becoming a builder?
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #1011
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Just so I know we're on the same page, what you're saying is because I've been building a more balanced character I wouldn't be a good candidate for becoming a builder?

give us the labor point total and we'll tell ya how much more it would cost the town to have you build stuff. It's pretty much that simple...

My character is not a builder, he's also level 24 with some VERY powerful pieces of clothing. I know that soon, I'll go back to adventuring and someone will be building in my place...

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #1012
hawk4669
High School JV

Quote:
guys, save up and go buy the donkey, it's very useful for your character...

FM

Will do.

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #1013
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Kind of, yeah. It's the same boat I'm in FWIW.

Consider this -- I'm at level 13, I've put more individual points into construction than any other skill & leadership & repair (the other two building skills) are second & third highest, and 10 of my 13 total attributes are either Strength or Charisma which boosts one of those other three ... and with bonuses I'm only at 73 gross labour points for construction, roughly half what I'd need to be remotely cost efficient at building.

Best I can tell it's almost an all or nothing proposition until you get a lot of levels under your belt (and then by sheer weight of totals and/or bonus items you get halfway decent at it).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-20-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #1014
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:

Correct. With my character as an example, its sole purpose is building the town. So, ive put every point into Strength and Construction. Not that I expect everyone to do pure builds just for a single purpose in the game, it is just the optimal way of getting the most out of the towns money when constructing.

This chart FM made shows nicely how much money we can save by making the most out of our LP.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #1015
hawk4669
High School JV

Here's my build so far:

Am I wasting my time becoming a builder? Seems like the towns already have folks they're using all the time and all I am doing is contributing money. Would it be smart to start over and do something else?

Thanks!

www.hbfire.org
Old 04-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #1016
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4669 View Post
Am I wasting my time becoming a builder? Seems like the towns already have folks they're using all the time and all I am doing is contributing money. Would it be smart to start over and do something else?
Thanks!

Not IMO at least.

Frog will eventually go back to earning money moreso than building, which he's better at than the rest of us because he's considerably farther along.

Even with two towns (much less an eventual third) we need more than one builder per town in order to keep making progress while allowing the builders to do other things at least when their motivation gets low (in addition to letting them have some time to level up).

You're only another level up or two away from being in the range of being cost efficient for either town. I'd say the waste would be throwing that away
really, but ultimately you ought to do whatever keeps you enjoying the game the most.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:36 PM   #1017
chinaski
College Prospect

I agree with Jon. You're looking good so far, and dont forget at level 14 you get a quest that leads to a respec - if you wish to do the all Strength/Construction build.

Quote:
Not IMO at least.

Frog will eventually go back to earning money moreso than building, which he's better at than the rest of us because he's considerably farther along.

Even with two towns (much less an eventual third) we need more than one builder per town in order to keep making progress while allowing the builders to do other things at least when their motivation gets low (in addition to letting them have some time to level up).

You're only another level up or two away from being in the range of being cost efficient for either town. I'd say the waste would be throwing that away
really, but ultimately you ought to do whatever keeps you enjoying the game the most.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #1018
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
People who want to build, please share your gross labor points for construction, that is 3*construction+repairing+leadership. Put on your best clothes to calculate your skills too.

3*(2+3+2)=21

I haven't bought any additional clothing as of yet and, like I said, I've been assigning skills in a more balanced fashion to this point.

By the looks of it, I'm not really suited to be a builder at this point. I've just leveled up to 6, would it be beneficial to start focusing on strength and construction now or to continue on my current path of being a balanced character?

PS: Need to bunk for the evening as well as donate $100 to Troutville. Invite, please. Thx.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 04-20-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #1019
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
3*(2+3+2)=21

I haven't bought any additional clothing as of yet and, like I said, I've been assigning skills in a more balanced fashion to this point.

By the looks of it, I'm not really suited to be a builder at this point. I've just leveled up to 6, would it be beneficial to start focusing on strength and construction now or to continue on my current path of being a balanced character?

First thing, it's not 3* all of them,
it's 3*construction + 1*leadership +1*repair.

If that's the order you listed them, then you're actually
3*2 + 3 + 2 = 11 gross labour points for building

Let's see where you'd end up if you poured everything into it for a few levels.
1 attribute added to strength group + 3 skill points = 12 gross labour points added with each level up (4 construction points * 3 = 12 glp each level)

So by level 13 you'd be: 7*12 plus the original 11 you have now, so 95 gross labour points. That's better than me at level 13 but still three more level ups away from being in the cost efficient range as a builder. You could re-spec some at level 14 and probably get into the range but best I can figure that's kind of what you're looking at.

edit to add: I think the question really is "do you want to be a full-time builder?" If so, then you could work toward it & get into the mix down the road a bit, but at this point it doesn't seem like the easiest route for you to take. My two cents, FWIW.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-20-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #1020
hawk4669
High School JV

THanks for the input guys. I always really enjoy the grinding worker kind of build in any RPG I play....just really seeking advice. I'll keep staying the course and donating away.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
Old 04-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #1021
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
PS: Need to bunk for the evening as well as donate $100 to Troutville. Invite, please. Thx.

Sent!
Old 04-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #1022
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Whoops...my bad. Yeah, Jon, you've got it correct...11 is my gross labour points for construction. Now, I could also improve that with purchased items, too.

Guess, I have a decision to make.

Thanks, Jon
Old 04-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #1023
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So, on another subject here for a second ... if I understand it correctly, the rules officially limit players to one character per world, although as long as you don't duel a character from the same connection, they don't go after 2x per world since it could be a roommate, relative, etc.

That said though, if I wanted a character on a second world & stay strictly within the rules, which one should I sign up for? I know it can't be World 9 (since I'm in 8 and it's either/or with those two) but is there one that I should look at more than the others?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #1024
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I just joined world 7 for that very reason. The choice of 7 was fairly random.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #1025
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
What about buying an item that could boost your trapping?

I could do that... or I could put the points in the trapping and buy items to boost dueling skills...
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #1026
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sorry for not posting in here. I had the worst thing ever. I was dueling the Corporal and my CPU froze. I was annoyed and just kept clicking and somehow it recgonized my character is routinley dueling him so I lost like 10 duels in a row, losing 230 bucks and all my healthy and energy. So now I am slowly getting it back which means I need to wait on the city. I am in the hotel now tho.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #1027
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I posted the update thread from yesterday, which talked about the next planned game update (1.19) for the end of the month.

This is a more detailed discussion of the introduction of forts, which seems tentatively meant for 1.20 (no date given) which does seem as though it could make a pretty big adjustment to the way the game is played at the town/tactical level.
Forts are coming soon! Discussion thread - Forum The West

Like most threads on the net there's plenty of pissing & moaning & other stuff that isn't informative but the summary of the thread to date on the last page or two seemed to hit the high points pretty well best I could figure.

Just linking for anyone who hasn't seen it before (I only found it a few minutes ago for the first time myself, surely I'm not the only one).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-20-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #1028
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Sent!

Thanks...$100 donated, left town, snuck back in to take a nap.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #1029
chinaski
College Prospect

Troutville Residences now @ 77% of the way to Level 2. Also leveled up to 15 and hit 208 LP.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #1030
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Hit Level 13, 135 labor points for construction.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #1031
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
So, on another subject here for a second ... if I understand it correctly, the rules officially limit players to one character per world, although as long as you don't duel a character from the same connection, they don't go after 2x per world since it could be a roommate, relative, etc.

That said though, if I wanted a character on a second world & stay strictly within the rules, which one should I sign up for? I know it can't be World 9 (since I'm in 8 and it's either/or with those two) but is there one that I should look at more than the others?

my son and I have a little town in world 7, hint, hint

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #1032
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4669 View Post

Thanks!

Quote:
Not IMO at least.

absolutely agree with Jon here. You're at what, 106 construction labor, which is right up in the high middle of anybody who'd want to become a builder. Keep concentrating and year, you'll get a chance to respec around level 14 or so.

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #1033
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
my son and I have a little town in world 7, hint, hint

FM

I guess I'm glad I picked 7 then.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #1034
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I guess I'm glad I picked 7 then.

Actually, my bad, our town is in the French world, oops.

I'm in a nice size town in world 7 though, look for my character Ole Dirty Froggie in there...

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #1035
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Can someone invite me to JIMGA's town?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #1036
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

invite sent!

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #1037
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I went to do that but you're already there, so ... nvrmnd
Old 04-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #1038
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I lost Danny's post, how do I leave town again? I bought my Donkey but am down to 12 bucks so I figure I'll do some jobs and then donate.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #1039
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I lost Danny's post, how do I leave town again? I bought my Donkey but am down to 12 bucks so I figure I'll do some jobs and then donate.

go to town hall, click residents, then leave town at the bottom right...

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #1040
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I don't see a Townhall. I have to be dumb because it doesn't seem to exist.

Also how good of a Dueler to I need to be to beat the Corporal. he's gotten me 3 times tho I forgot to equip my boomerang which didnt help.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #1041
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I don't see a Townhall. I have to be dumb because it doesn't seem to exist.

Also how good of a Dueler to I need to be to beat the Corporal. he's gotten me 3 times tho I forgot to equip my boomerang which didnt help.

it's behind the text banner for the town. close that thing, then you'll see the building to the left of the saloon is the town hall...

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #1042
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Touche. Done.

So any tips on how to beat this stupid Corporal?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #1043
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Hitting level 9 in about 20 minutes. Pretty stoked
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #1044
Professor58
H.S. Freshman Team

Not a big poster, but long time lurker. Joined as " Cross Eye Slade" making my way toward the towns as I level up.

OOTP: AFBL : Ohio
OOTP: CBL : London
OOTP : NPBL : California
OOTP : WBA : Los Angeles
Professor58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #1045
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor58 View Post
Not a big poster, but long time lurker. Joined as " Cross Eye Slade" making my way toward the towns as I level up.

don't worry, I remember you from the good old Hattrick heydays

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #1046
hawk4669
High School JV

Woot...just hit Level 14.

www.hbfire.org
Old 04-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #1047
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

just added you the the census as a level 1. Let us know if you're any higher than that...

FM
Old 04-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #1048
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Yep, just hit that aforementioned brick wall at 8. No more quests I can do yet, grindin' time.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #1049
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Touche. Done.

So any tips on how to beat this stupid Corporal?

To get past my last couple of duels I watched the tape. I'd usually get hit once or twice for 15-25 points apiece, while I'd hit the other guy maybe once for two points.

What I had to do was watch which rounds I was getting hit in and where I got hit, and go into the Duels screen and change which way my character leaned in each round. At the same time I'd see where I missed and change where I aimed each round. At least at low levels, the computer doesn't change the dueling tendencies for an opponent, so I was eventually able to come up with a pattern where I got away clean and hit him for a few points, winning the duel.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #1050
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Updated Hawk to 14 and Cross Eye Slade to 2 (looked him up in the rankings)