Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2020, 09:36 PM   #1001
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Allen has been very good.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:41 PM   #1002
Swaggs
Coordinator

Can’t complain about the Steelers’ season too much. If you told me 10-12 wins at the beginning of the year or end of last year, I’d be happy. I think the biggest culprit for them is that their offensive line got old and hit the wall all at once.

They should be interesting the next couple of years. I think they have a super bowl defense when they’re healthy and they have Ben for however long he lasts. For the first half of the season, it looked like they had a stable of really good, young receivers, but they’ve been inconsistent, at best, of late. No RBs and that rapidly aging line. And a horrendous cap situation that is going to make them have to pass on several second contracts.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:08 PM   #1003
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If Jalen Hurts looks like an NFL QB for the rest of the season, then a trade of Wentz to Indy makes a ton of sense, right?

By trading instead of cutting, the Eagles manage the cap hit. And Frank Reich gets a QB that he's done well with before at a reasonable price.

Colts send a mid-round pick, and everyone is happy.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:21 PM   #1004
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Can’t complain about the Steelers’ season too much. If you told me 10-12 wins at the beginning of the year or end of last year, I’d be happy. I think the biggest culprit for them is that their offensive line got old and hit the wall all at once.

They should be interesting the next couple of years. I think they have a super bowl defense when they’re healthy and they have Ben for however long he lasts. For the first half of the season, it looked like they had a stable of really good, young receivers, but they’ve been inconsistent, at best, of late. No RBs and that rapidly aging line. And a horrendous cap situation that is going to make them have to pass on several second contracts.

Totally agree with you here. The receiving corp has played young. The drops have been staggering and the lack of a consistent vertical game is hurting everything. Of course, if you can't run, same thing. The defense has just been hurt too badly with injuries to keep playing the level that they were. They are a middling defense now. But again, no serious complaints. It's frustrating to be this good, and know we're going to the playoffs, but they gotta turn another corner if they are going to fix this.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:53 PM   #1005
muns
Pro Starter

3 games in 12 days or whatever it is doesn't help injuries and fatigue either. Looking forward to being back on a normal game schedule

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #1006
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
3 games in 12 days or whatever it is doesn't help injuries and fatigue either. Looking forward to being back on a normal game schedule

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've heard a lot of Pittsburgh fans (and some players) oddly complaining about three games in 12 days. Many NFL teams do this each year. Pittsburgh played three games in 12 days in 2018 and 2019 as well. Two years ago, the Jets and Titans played 3 games in 11 days.

Where did this complaint about 3 games in 12 days originate?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:30 AM   #1007
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

DOLA: It looks like Pittsburgh also played 3 games in 12 days in 2006,2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016. So counting the past three years as well, that makes 3 games in 12 days in 11 of the past 15 seasons.

This is the first time I'm hearing this as a complaint or an excuse for performance.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #1008
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's been a general complaint in the NFL for years. The entire Thursday schedule has long been cited as a potential player safety issue, along with increasing the number of games.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-14-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #1009
henry296
College Starter

I believe after most of those stretches they get the mini bye with 10 days off until the next game. They also never had a full 7 day break within those 12 days.

Shouldn't be an excuse but it is a little different than normal.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #1010
PilotMan
Head Coach

Prepping to play a game on a Thursday, in a short week, then having that delayed until the following week isn't the same as a week off, and then making the next 2 games after that prime time games as well is really off the schedule norm for any team.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #1011
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Steelers got schedule fucked this year.

I mean, no excuses and all that.

But they really ended up with the short end of the stick
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #1012
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

So normally it goes seven days between the first two games and then three days between the 2nd and 3rd game. Steelers had four games between the first two games and then six between the 2nd and 3rd. I think it's debatable which is better and which is worse.

And correct, they did not have the mini-bye afterwards. But they did have the mini-bye on the front end before the Baltimore game, when they had nine days without a game. I appreciate that it wasn't quite the same as a normally scheduled mini-bye but it was an extended stretch with no games later in the season, which I am sure many teams would appreciate.

I'm not saying it's all the same, and they have definitely have had some adversity as it relates to schedule changes, just like several other teams this year have faced adversity as a result of COVID-19, whether it's missing groups of players, coaches, being able to practice, etc.

Furthermore, as much as players like to gripe about the Thursday night games, there is no evidence that supports the notion that it leads to more injuries (see here, here and here).
Old 12-14-2020, 01:12 PM   #1013
Swaggs
Coordinator

It is what it is and I doubt you would ever hear Tomlin complain.

They had some unfortunate luck losing their bye week (had to be used in week 4 rather than as scheduled) due to outbreaks with Titans and Ravens. Can't really be mad at the other franchises, but still unfortunate.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #1014
Ksyrup

After a taste of Tuesday and Wednesday night football, I've had several people say that the NFL needs to find a way to pretty much have a game a night on week days. It will never happen, but there would be a healthy appetite for games. Although the divorce rate would probably skyrocket...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-14-2020, 04:08 PM   #1015
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Steelers got schedule fucked this year.

I mean, no excuses and all that.

But they really ended up with the short end of the stick

Nah, they got to play the NFC East. That alone makes up for any schedule shortcomings.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:09 PM   #1016
bhlloy
Coordinator

The idea that the bar for getting nominated for the Walter Payton Man of the Year award is “didn’t try to murder an opposing QB with his own helmet this season” makes me chuckle every time I think about it
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:26 PM   #1017
Ksyrup

Craziest game I've seen in a long time.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:33 PM   #1018
Ksyrup

Hunt should have gone down at the 1. 1:04 needing only a FG to win seems like a good bet for the Ravens.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:35 PM   #1019
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I dunno. If you don’t get in from the 1 after that you are absolutely crucified. Tie it up and take your chances (although I guess I’d be interested reading what the odds are)
Old 12-14-2020, 10:40 PM   #1020
Ksyrup

It's not like he walked in. That was a super human effort to score.

Should have gone down at the 1, take 30 seconds off, score on the next couple of plays.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:48 PM   #1021
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That garbage safety is gonna kill/bless some bettors since the line was CLE +3
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:17 PM   #1022
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, and lose a bunch of people games in the fantasy playoffs as well
Old 12-15-2020, 06:23 AM   #1023
Ksyrup

That was such an obvious ending. Most coaches figured this out years ago in relation to deferring to receive until the 2nd half to try to take advantage of the end of 1st half/beginning of 2nd half scoring opportunity, but it's getting to the point where you have to treat the end of the game basically like a basketball game. And what Cleveland did there was the equivalent of a making a lay-up with the shot clock off to tie and leaving the opponent 10 seconds left to inbound the ball to LeBron who only needs to draw a foul to win the game.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-15-2020 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:04 AM   #1024
Ksyrup

I mean...

Old 12-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #1025
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I was pulling for Cleveland but that was one of the best NFL games I've ever had the pleasure to watch.

Makes a typical Madden game seem realistic.

It's a great year with all these good teams, Buffalo, Cleveland, Baltimore, KC, GB, etc.. going to be a fantastic playoff.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:22 PM   #1026
Ksyrup

Detroit's center played through a fractured larynx. That hurts just to type. I didn't know one could fracture a larynx.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:29 PM   #1027
miami_fan
Coordinator

There are those injuries that football players that I can relate to. Then, there are those injuries that make me realize I am not cut out to play professional football. Then there is a fractured throat.

Lions center Frank Ragnow dealing with fractured throat*

I know the article says he can breathe and eat. It didn’t say he could do those things well.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 12-16-2020 at 01:30 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #1028
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Detroit's center played through a fractured larynx. That hurts just to type. I didn't know one could fracture a larynx.

ping: guy on beach in Road House
Old 12-16-2020, 09:03 PM   #1029
QuikSand
lolzcat

Isaiah Ford

Deep sleeper for DFS this week... but check out this transaction page:

Quote:
Transactions

Transaction, fine, and suspension data since 2015

December 14, 2020: Miami Dolphins added WR Isaiah Ford to the practice squad.

December 7, 2020: New England Patriots cut WR Isaiah Ford.

November 3, 2020: New England Patriots acquired WR Isaiah Ford from the Miami Dolphins for a 2022 sixth-round draft pick.

November 27, 2019: Miami Dolphins activated WR Isaiah Ford from the practice squad.

November 1, 2019: Miami Dolphins added WR Isaiah Ford to the practice squad.

October 31, 2019: Miami Dolphins cut WR Isaiah Ford.

October 30, 2019: Miami Dolphins waived WR Isaiah Ford.

September 25, 2019: Miami Dolphins activated WR Isaiah Ford from the practice squad.

November 28, 2018: Miami Dolphins activated WR Isaiah Ford from the practice squad.

September 2, 2018: Miami Dolphins added WR Isaiah Ford to the practice squad.

September 2, 2018: Miami Dolphins cut WR Isaiah Ford.

September 1, 2018: Miami Dolphins waived WR Isaiah Ford.

August 19, 2017: Miami Dolphins placed WR Isaiah Ford on IR.

August 18, 2017: Miami Dolphins waived WR Isaiah Ford.

May 8, 2017: Miami Dolphins signed WR Isaiah Ford to a four-year, $2.47 million contract.

I actually think there's something there... like a more or less replacement level slot receiver or somesuch... but wow.

Wonder how much actual salary/money he has earned through that whole time of being a yo-yo with the same franchise, save for the cup of Dunkin last month up in Foxboro?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #1030
Ksyrup

Looks like a typical OOTP marginal player transaction history. Although, sometimes not so marginal.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-17-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #1031
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Raiders' Josh Jacobs told fans he wasn't playing against Colts as prank - Sports Illustrated
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:29 PM   #1032
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I was just reading an article that says John Gruden is in his third year of coaching the Raiders. My brain does not accept that. I might've even said this was the first year.

Does Jon Gruden get judged by a different standard? - ProFootballTalk
Old 12-17-2020, 10:08 PM   #1033
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I know nothing can top the Gregg Williamss cover zero, but shoutout to Anthony Lynn for his unintentional season long tonking playcalling late in Chargers games. And if the Raiders somehow make the playoffs...
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:09 PM   #1034
bhlloy
Coordinator

Was coming here to post something similar. It sucks because he seems like a nice guy but Lynn is an AWFUL coach. I can’t imagine any coach in history has cost his team quite as many points and wins in an NFL season.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:24 PM   #1035
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Betting this game has taken years off my life
Old 12-17-2020, 10:41 PM   #1036
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Crazy game. That was a fun one!
Old 12-19-2020, 04:48 PM   #1037
AlexB
Pro Starter

You don’t often see 1st and goal from the 30...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 04:52 PM   #1038
AlexB
Pro Starter

And they still score on 2nd down
Old 12-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #1039
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sign me up for Bills-Chiefs AFC final
Old 12-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #1040
Galaril
Pro Starter

Expect Titans Chiefs again
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 05:46 PM   #1041
AlexB
Pro Starter

Poor decision there, kicking FG puts them up by 25 - I think they win anyway, but it’s a 3-score game now instead of four
Old 12-20-2020, 11:52 AM   #1042
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Ugh, I have to root for New England this week
Old 12-20-2020, 02:11 PM   #1043
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Great bit from the Cowboys/49ers game.

Every team in the NFC East has been in sole possession of both first and last place this season.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #1044
cuervo72
Head Coach

...why does SF not attempt an XP?
Old 12-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #1045
AlexB
Pro Starter

The last couple of days I’ve been trying to think or a top level RB who signed with another team as a FA and was as good/better.

For the life of me I cannot think of one recently. Not saying there isn’t one, but I can’t think of one... maybe Mark Ingram?

I can think of a number that didn't work out... which begs the question: if you are a RB having some success, should you just stay with your team?
Old 12-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #1046
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
The last couple of days I’ve been trying to think or a top level RB who signed with another team as a FA and was as good/better.

For the life of me I cannot think of one recently. Not saying there isn’t one, but I can’t think of one... maybe Mark Ingram?

I can think of a number that didn't work out... which begs the question: if you are a RB having some success, should you just stay with your team?

Curtis Martin and Priest Holmes came to mind. Then I looked them up and those were both ~20 years ago.
Old 12-20-2020, 04:20 PM   #1047
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Adrian Peterson was pretty good in Washington.
Old 12-20-2020, 04:27 PM   #1048
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Adrian Peterson was pretty good in Washington.

After a 3 game season with the Vikings, and a very average season with the Saints and Falcons. Saints traded him after 4 games - I’m not sure he was considered a top level RB after 600 yards in 13 games over the previous 2 years?
Old 12-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #1049
thesloppy
Pro Starter

LeSean McCoy had 1 or 2 good years in BUF after leaving PHI.
Old 12-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #1050
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
LeSean McCoy had 1 or 2 good years in BUF after leaving PHI.

Good shout. He can be the exception that proves the rule!

There does seem to be an argument that in recent times RBs could be seen as products of their systems, and a change of team means a change in system, usually with detrimental performance for previously top tier RBs