Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #10701
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I have seen 3 straight cartoons this morning with Jeffrey Combs (yes, I will still sometimes watch Saturday morning cartoons, particularly if under the weather as I am today):
Transformers Prime (TV Series 2010–*) - IMDb
Justice League (TV Series 2001–2006) - IMDb
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TV Series 2012–*) - IMDb

I still most think of him as being in Star Trek, tho

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #10702
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

30 minutes and counting waiting in the car while my wife is in the mall getting stockings. Does it really take that long?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #10703
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Dola - god forbid I text or call her because then I'm rushing her.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #10704
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Dola - god forbid I text or call her because then I'm rushing her.

And it would actually make it take longer because she was being rushed/being distracted.

#NoWinSituation
Old 01-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #10705
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
A co-worker of mine's son died from liver failure/cirrhosis of the liver at age 31. I guess I knew it was possible to drink yourself to death that young but, damn, that's young. I was trying to get a sense of what that takes, I mean, I've thrown down quite a few in my days. Is this a level of drinking that I couldn't even comprehend, or is it something that can just sneak up on you with less lifetime alcohol consumption that you'd expect it would take. It was kind of the perfect storm in his case - he had liver problems last year, reached the "you absolutely can't drink anymore" stage, and then binged continuously since then and just dropped completely out of the medical follow-up stuff he needed to do (not that it would have mattered with all the drinking).

So it did make me wonder what kind of consumption we're talking about to get to that point. I'm sure everybody's different but as best as I can tell from my amateur 5-minute research, something like 3-5 drinks a day is the average threshold that will damage most livers over time. I wonder if that translates into 21-35 a week for weekend drunks, or if one or the other is worse. While this can happen in one's 30s (and even younger), this kind of gave me into a window of what it must be like your 50s, when drinking catches up to more and more of your peers and family members. I haven't been around any problem drinking in my own family so these are kind of new thoughts. Which does make even the thought of drinking a lot less enticing.

I've got a few friends that are right there. One definitely has some liver damage and was hospitalized recently and was given that "you can't drink anymore speech". He's 30 years old and was one of those wake up in the morning and open up that bottle of Brandy and swig it on your way to work type of guys.

Another friend spent a year in treatment for his drinking problem and has stayed sober for almost two years now, I believe.

I ran with a pretty rough crowd when it comes to substance abuse but we've all seemed to simmer things down as we cross into our 30s.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #10706
stevew
Hall Of Famer

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #10707
cuervo72
Head Coach

Now I'm imagining Cash singing Spill the Wine.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #10708
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Remember rushing to catch Headline Sports at :20 &:50 after the hour?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #10709
Logan
Head Coach

What the hell happened to Ksyrup? I was reading an old thread, spotted his name, and realized it had been a while since I saw his name. A top 5 poster by count and hasn't been on since 9/26/12.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #10710
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Got tired of moderation policy.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #10711
molson
General Manager

Specifically, he was boxed after one if the image thread incidents, and never came back.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #10712
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Remember rushing to catch Headline Sports at :20 &:50 after the hour?

Oh ya. I always hoped it wouldn't be the guy that had the crazy voice shtick.

I also remember our local regional "sportschannel" was like a TV newspaper before 7AM - it would just have elevator music over a page that had text recapping a game, and then after a few seconds it would flip to a new page. This was the most updated information I could get because the newspaper wouldn't have scores from any games that ended after 10 Eastern Time or so. That's some old man shit right there.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #10713
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Specifically, he was boxed after one if the image thread incidents, and never came back.

yes, but I'm totally sure that the community is better off for it too.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #10714
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
yes, but I'm totally sure that the community is better off for it too.

Well, it cost us a long-time poster, but it is now safe to view page 283 of the 366 page image thread at work, I do sleep better knowing that.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #10715
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

I also remember our local regional "sportschannel" was like a TV newspaper before 7AM - it would just have elevator music over a page that had text recapping a game, and then after a few seconds it would flip to a new page. This was the most updated information I could get because the newspaper wouldn't have scores from any games that ended after 10 Eastern Time or so. That's some old man shit right there.

Sports Channel America, not even sure it was regional at the time. That show with all the old Chicago sports writers was awesome. Random wrestling. I think I watched the Oilers/Bruins Stanley Cup finals on that network.

ESPN2 When it started. Nothing but Kolber and Scott (before he got awful?), bad music (to my ears at least), scores and then on Saturday nights they had some show from a beach that featured fitness contests, which were pretty much nothing more than strip shows.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #10716
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Please no facebook notes, not sure if the whole family knows yet. My wifes Grandmother passed away last night. She was 86, led a good life, loving kids, grandkids and great grandkids. She passed in her sleep peacefully while my MIL and one of her daughters held her hand. My FIL was reading from the bible as she passed. She was in pain, it was her time, and this was not unexpected and that is all we can ask for, none of us are promised tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #10717
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Van Earl Wright, I'm guessing.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #10718
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Justin Timberlake Countdown
Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #10719
spleen1015
Coordinator

Nothing like 2 coaches almost coming to blows at the end of a 4th grade girls travel basketball b league game.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #10720
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Please no facebook notes, not sure if the whole family knows yet. My wifes Grandmother passed away last night. She was 86, led a good life, loving kids, grandkids and great grandkids. She passed in her sleep peacefully while my MIL and one of her daughters held her hand. My FIL was reading from the bible as she passed. She was in pain, it was her time, and this was not unexpected and that is all we can ask for, none of us are promised tomorrow.

Sorry to hear Lathum. Sounds like the way any of us would choose to go if we had the choice. My condolences.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #10721
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

My condolences to you, your wife and her family.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #10722
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sorry to see this, B. My thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #10723
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My condolences Lathum, to your whole family.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #10724
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

A few months ago, Lady H_B started allowing our dog to sleep with us in our bed. I have no problem with this. I love my dog, and despite the fact that he's about 70 lbs., he does a pretty good job of not taking up too much space. He usually sleeps down by our legs and is good at making himself small.

Just a few days ago, Lady H_B has reversed this policy. Despite the fact that he can jump up on the bed himself, he's quite lazy and usually whines until I pick him up and put in there. So, the last few nights he's whined by the side of the bed every night, until he gives up and goes elsewhere to sleep. Last night he did the same thing.

Then, at around 2:30 in the morning he came back into the bedroom. I almost always wake up when I hear his claws on the wood floor, because I let him out if he has to pee. I dropped my hand off by the side of the bed and he nuzzled it, he wasn't whining and I didn't sense any urgency, so I didn't get out of bed. He then nosed my shoulder, so I got up and walked down the hall, assuming he had to pee or something. Instead of taking a right, and going down stairs, he walked straight into our guest room and led me to the futon. It was clear he wanted to snuggle. So I laid down with him and he curled up pressed his head against my chest, fell asleep and started to snore. I got up after about 15 minutes or so and went back to bed.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #10725
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Dogs are awesome
Old 01-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #10726
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't know much about golf but I saw some news article about Rory McIlroy signing a big deal with Nike and I had never really seen a picture of him before. I think he looks like a young Shooter McGavin from Happy Gilmore

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-14-2013 at 11:35 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #10727
britrock88
Pro Starter

Figured I might be the first person to read/post FOFC from an in-session legislature meeting, so figured I'd mention it here.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #10728
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Figured I might be the first person to read/post FOFC from an in-session legislature meeting, so figured I'd mention it here.

Is this supposed to make us feel BETTER about our elected representatives?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #10729
britrock88
Pro Starter

_I'm_ not an elected representative, silly. (I work for a state agency.)

Last edited by britrock88 : 01-14-2013 at 06:15 PM.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #10730
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Possible printer help/rant question:

Why the fuck won't my printer let me print with an empty cyan cartridge? I want to print in black and white anyways, it's just powerpoint notes for lecture. I don't need nor fucking want cyan.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 01-16-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #10731
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Possible printer help/rant question:

Why the fuck won't my printer let me print with an empty cyan cartridge? I want to print in black and white anyways, it's just powerpoint notes for lecture. I don't need nor fucking want cyan.

Known issue. I'm tempted to get a black and white laser printer and just use that. I can go somewhere to print out color in rare instances I need to do so.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #10732
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Its going to be that dumb.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:19 AM   #10733
Izulde
Head Coach

So I finally broke down and got a Keurig brewer, the red mini one because I don't have a ton of counter space and because it's well, red.

Damn, this thing is amazing. Makes quality coffee quickly and is idiot proof. I always had a hard time with other coffee makers in the past and the coffee never came out right so they'd collect dust after a few tries.

This mini Keurig? It's going to get a *ton* of use. So far I've had, out of the little variety pack, the French Roast (quite good) and the Doughnut Shop (not really a fan TBH). My mom, who's visiting, had the French Vanilla and she said it was really good.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #10734
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was thinking about getting one, might do so if I get any money back from the gubment on taxes.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:13 AM   #10735
Logan
Head Coach

Check out Double Black Diamond from Green Mountain if you like the bolder types.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #10736
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
So I finally broke down and got a Keurig brewer, the red mini one because I don't have a ton of counter space and because it's well, red.

Damn, this thing is amazing. Makes quality coffee quickly and is idiot proof. I always had a hard time with other coffee makers in the past and the coffee never came out right so they'd collect dust after a few tries.

This mini Keurig? It's going to get a *ton* of use. So far I've had, out of the little variety pack, the French Roast (quite good) and the Doughnut Shop (not really a fan TBH). My mom, who's visiting, had the French Vanilla and she said it was really good.

Customer service is really great for the company as well. We've had one for about 3.5 years and when our original one went bad last year, we called and they just sent us a new one. No questions asked...

Enjoy...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #10737
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
Customer service is really great for the company as well. We've had one for about 3.5 years and when our original one went bad last year, we called and they just sent us a new one. No questions asked...

Enjoy...

Well stick with the Keurig brand then...
Bought my wife the Cuisinart deluxe model from Christmas in 2011. The real benefit was it can brew regular coffee grounds or K cups and has a hot water dispenser which is great because FIL loves hot tea and visits fairly frequently...plus it had a 3 year warranty.

Fast forward to Septmeber and the pump on the thing quit working. Call in and they literally talked me through disassembling the damn thing and checking it. Then they asked me how we filed it with water. (One of the features is a removable water tank for easier filling) We explained that we carried the tank to out bar and filled it with filtered water...they said not to do that anymore only to dump water into the tank while still attached and hung up....Errr it wont matter the pump is burned up.

Another call, another hour on the phone now we are getting a replacement. Then Sandy hit and all stock was depleted. They estimated a replacement in 10-12 weeks. Somewhere in this time I got the NA director of Customer Relations phone number and gave him a call. He promptly called me back (like seriously in less than 10 minutes) Apologized profusely and promised to over night one to me at no charge. A week passed no coffer maker...

Now an aside here...a warranty on a product you use (or NEED!!!!!! in my wife's case) every day that takes 6+weeks to replace isnt really a warranty as I am left only with an option of going out and buying a new coffee pot.

Another call another overnight promise. (But kudos the guy answered the phone...impressive for a NA director level) Another week. Finally I called Macy's where we bought it and talked with the store manager who said it was an all too common complaint. He even agreed to replace it for me with a new one in store, thanks. Customer for Life now.

So fast forward to last week and the November/December coffee maker finally showed up. I called Mr. NA Director back and he again answered the phone, I explained what had happened and he urged me to keep the new one as a token of apology, blah blah blah wasn't sure how it took so long etc.

Soooo we decided to give the replacement to my mom who is always raving about my wife's...you guesssed it. DOA. Bad out of the box.

Never Never again cuisinart will you get my business.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #10738
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cuisinart is an example of a formerly awesome brand name that they fucked all to pieces and now they make overpriced shit and people still buy it.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #10739
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I hate that ball thing in a shop vac that makes it stop working when it tips over, which surely happens when you pull the hose.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:29 AM   #10740
Izulde
Head Coach

Three good cups is all the damn thing made. Then it turned watery, watery, watery. Clean out the needles, still no good. Cycle through without a K-cup, still no good. Then the second time I tried pulling the funnel off so I could *again* try to clean the needle and it wouldn't budge.

It's going back tomorrow. Damned disappointing.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:19 AM   #10741
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Three good cups is all the damn thing made. Then it turned watery, watery, watery. Clean out the needles, still no good. Cycle through without a K-cup, still no good. Then the second time I tried pulling the funnel off so I could *again* try to clean the needle and it wouldn't budge.

It's going back tomorrow. Damned disappointing.

There are four little holes underneath where the cup goes. Make sure they're not clogged. If so, just use a toothpick from underneath to open them up.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #10742
RainMaker
General Manager

I hate how Ebay doesn't care about shill bidding. Ruins the fun.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #10743
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
There are four little holes underneath where the cup goes. Make sure they're not clogged. If so, just use a toothpick from underneath to open them up.

Yeah I did that, both those holes and the two needles (used a paperclip) and it unfortunately didn't work. I guess I'll call the company tomorrow and see what all they have to say.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #10744
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Being paranoid - but I woke up with a little bit of blood on my pillow. So I either scratched something before going to sleep and opened a little cut, or else I somehow picked up a hitchiker in NYC (in my suit would have been the only way - it was hanging in the hotel closet. Of course I checked the hotel room and didn't see any signs of anything, nor was I fed on while sleeping there). Of course, now that I'm being paranoid all of a sudden I feel every single little itch on my body magnified like...1000x, and I'm spending time here at work googling to figure out where the bedbugs could be hiding, and learning that they can live for hundreds of days without feeding.

Already stripped my sheets and washed them this morning (and inspected my matress and bedframe), but I guess that wouldn't really be any help, since if I did pick up only a couple they could have fed last night and just be chilling laying eggs and infecting my whole apartment.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-18-2013 at 09:00 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #10745
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Or you had a bloody nose, I get that occasionally when I've had sinus issues.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #10746
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Or you had a bloody nose, I get that occasionally when I've had sinus issues.

Yeah - could be that too. Although it seemed like too little blood for that.

I mean I'm sure it's probably nothing. I checked my room in NYC with a flashlight and stripped all the bedding...I checked the closet before I even hung my suit up...I didn't wake up there having been fed on at all...so it would have had to have been one random bug that was in the closet and laid eggs in my suit THAT NIGHT which didn't get disturbed or knocked off the next day as I ran around NYC and later Boston, and then somehow hatched in my suit and made their way up onto my bed for their first feeding yesterday?

Seems pretty far-fetched.

But I'm a paranoid SOB.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #10747
Suicane75
Coordinator

I can't be the only straight man who's getting a little bit excited at Alec Baldwins transformation back into skinny and sexy.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #10748
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I can't be the only straight man who's getting a little bit excited at Alec Baldwins transformation back into skinny and sexy.

Yes, yes, you are.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #10749
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post

You and Izulde.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #10750
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
You and Izulde.

Nuh, I'm not one for celebrity gossip or any of that junk, or to care what dudes look like.