Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #1051
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Terrible looking wrist injury for Indians SS Adrubal Cabrera in the first inning against Tampa tonight. Jhonny Peralta slid right into Cabrera and his knee crushed Cabrera's wrist. Jason Donald left AAA Columbus' game tonight so he's headed to Cleveland. It's just too bad that Cabrera will probably miss a lot of time. He's been one of the bright spots in Cleveland this season.

Hmm, that is bad.

Curious, why were the Indians (Peralta) batting against the Indians (Cabrera)?

I am guessing this was a defensive play into the hole in the left side and they collided?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #1052
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am beginning to think we got hoodwinked on Kazmir. What happened to the young ace he looked like fairly recently?

And, while Derek Holland is a good young pitcher, it's amazing how the Angels can turn him into Cy Young whenever they face him.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #1053
lungs
Pro Rookie

Great. The Reds hammer Todd Coffey so he plunks a guy.

So who gets it for the Brewers, Braun or Fielder?

Good grief, I hate when pitchers throw at guys because they get rocked. Especially when it comes from my team.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #1054
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Great. The Reds hammer Todd Coffey so he plunks a guy.

So who gets it for the Brewers, Braun or Fielder?

Good grief, I hate when pitchers throw at guys because they get rocked. Especially when it comes from my team.

Even better is when he hits former teammates.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #1055
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

It's probably due to the nice little walk Gomes took after he hit it.

It was only a matter of time before Gomes caused somebody to get hit.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #1056
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Even better is when he hits former teammates.

And he hits the scrawniest guy on the team. Pussy.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #1057
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Curious, why were the Indians (Peralta) batting against the Indians (Cabrera)?

I am guessing this was a defensive play into the hole in the left side and they collided?

Yes, it was a defensive play. They were part of a big shift with Cabrera playing where a 2B usually plays (up the middle) and Peralta over where a SS usually plays in the hole.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #1058
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I am beginning to think we got hoodwinked on Kazmir. What happened to the young ace he looked like fairly recently?
Well, there were certainly signs that things were starting to head south for Kazmir. His velocity has been steadily dropping over his career, and more ominously his swinging strike percentage has been dropping since '06 and took a particularly big drop last year. That resulted in a significant drop in his K rate last year, and he's compounding it this year with a rise in his walk rate.

I know that Dave Cameron (among others) has been warning for at least a year now that Kazmir isn't the same guy that broke on the scene with the Rays in '04.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #1059
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Well, there were certainly signs that things were starting to head south for Kazmir. His velocity has been steadily dropping over his career, and more ominously his swinging strike percentage has been dropping since '06 and took a particularly big drop last year. That resulted in a significant drop in his K rate last year, and he's compounding it this year with a rise in his walk rate.

I know that Dave Cameron (among others) has been warning for at least a year now that Kazmir isn't the same guy that broke on the scene with the Rays in '04.

Yeah, I had heard some of that. Still seems more precipitous than it should be. Even if he's not the same guy he once was, I hope he can at least be a competent #4 or so.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #1060
JS19
College Prospect

Looks like a nice little war or the words with Hanley Ramirez and Fredi Gonzalez.

Hanley Ramirez of Florida Marlins rips skipper Fredi Gonzalez after benching - ESPN
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #1061
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

Beginning to think? That was an outright steal for the Rays from the start. Sean Rodriquez was highly regarded and a lot of people were surprised the Rays were able to get him for Kazmir.

Kazmir's not looked like an ace-to-be for a couple of years - he's been injured for 2 years and barely thrown 150 IP in each year, and even when he did look like an ace years ago, he walked too many guys to really be a consistent 7-8 IP guy. That ship sailed, and Rays got someone else to pay the rest of his salary AND got a good MLB player out of the deal. Steal.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-18-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #1062
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Beginning to think? That was an outright steal for the Rays from the start. Sean Rodriquez was highly regarded and a lot of people were surprised the Rays were able to get him for Kazmir.

Kazmir's not looked like an ace-to-be for a couple of years - he's been injured for 2 years and barely thrown 150 IP in each year, and even when he did look like an ace years ago, he walked too many guys to really be a consistent 7-8 IP guy. That ship sailed, and Rays got someone else to pay the rest of his salary AND got a good MLB player out of the deal. Steal.

Rodriguez is decent, but they also got Alex Torres (who's looked pretty good and would be a more hyped prospect in any system but Tampa's) and Matt Sweeney, who could be an interesting bat. Great deal.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #1063
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Ramirez has always struck me as a punkass kid who has incredible talent. I hope they bench his ass for a week. Listen to this quote.

Quote:
Ramirez said he didn't see the need to apologize to the team.

"We got a lot of people dogging it after ground balls. They don't apologize," Ramirez told reporters, according to the Palm Beach Post.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #1064
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sorry I'm not so hip to trade evaluations like you, Ksyrup.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #1065
Ksyrup

Nothing really to do with trade evaluations - it was well known that the Rays were looking for someone to take him and his salary off of their hands for a while since they had more starters than they could use, and the Angels more than obliged them, even with his injury at the beginning of the year and declining performance the rest of the way. It was a bizarre trade from the get-go. It's not often that a team makes out like a bandit on both ends of a trade for the same player (they stole Kazmir from the Mets originally).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #1066
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Hoffman has to be done.

Up 4-2 against the Reds. Lose 5-4 with zero outs recorded.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #1067
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Hoffman has to be done.

Up 4-2 against the Reds. Lose 5-4 with zero outs recorded.

No doubt. He can't get by with an 86 MPH fastball throwing it right down the middle.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #1068
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Another day another Dusty WTF?

Let's say you have three hitters with these lines:

280/377/462

350/466/533

267/296/370

Which one would Dusty bat 5th, 6th and 7th?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #1069
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Oooh let me guess - the 267/296/370 bats 5th, the 280 guy 6th, and the 350 guy 7th because he clogs the bases?

Last edited by Crapshoot : 05-18-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #1070
Butter
Coordinator

To be fair, the .350 guy is probably hitting above his head, and that number is based on somewhat limited ABs.

But Cabrera 5th ahead of Bruce, I have no defense for.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #1071
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Hannigan doesn't bother me, but Cabrera shouldn't be higher than 7th under any circumstances.

Of course Janish should get more playing time as he's a much better defender and unlikely to be much worse at the plate than Cabrera.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #1072
korme
Go Reds

I'm turning around on O-Cab he has been playing great so far. Do like Janish though. Also, loving this whole Hernie/Hanigan every-other-day platoon.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #1073
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I cannot believe that whoever picks the music at Turner Field chose the theme from The Natural after Troy Glaus's two-run homer.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #1074
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Yeah, Hannigan doesn't bother me, but Cabrera shouldn't be higher than 7th under any circumstances.

Of course Janish should get more playing time as he's a much better defender and unlikely to be much worse at the plate than Cabrera.

Yeah, that whole Cabrera batting leadoff has been horrible.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #1075
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I'm turning around on O-Cab he has been playing great so far. Do like Janish though. Also, loving this whole Hernie/Hanigan every-other-day platoon.

No offense, but Cabrera's been terrible this year. His fielding is average/poor and his batting line is almost as bad as Stubbs.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #1076
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I agree that he is a weak spot on the team but ever since he was moved to the top of the order he was on a ten game hitting streak. Why move him when he is in the groove?

His OBP moved up 25 or so points since moving to the top of the order.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 05-18-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #1077
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

But it's still below 300.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:11 PM   #1078
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Going into today it was .303.

It was .333 in the nine games he was at lead off when Dusty decided he needed to hit 5th(?).
Old 05-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #1079
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
No offense, but Cabrera's been terrible this year. His fielding is average/poor and his batting line is almost as bad as Stubbs.

That perfecut cutoff throw on the play at the plate to win the game...terrible...him cutting down a run against Milwaukee the other night...terrible. Only 2 errors in 35 games...terrible. How quickly he turns the pivot on the double play...terrible.

He might not look like much but he's a solid player who adds something to every team he's on. Playoffs four of the last five years for him.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:35 AM   #1080
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Well hell if I knew Cabrera was the key to the playoffs I wouldn't have said anything.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #1081
Butter
Coordinator

His cutoff throw on the play at the plate vs. the Cards wasn't that good... it was Hernandez who turned that into the play of the year so far.

But I am in the middle on him still. He seems a step slow, but that was a good play against Milwaukee 2 nights ago when he cut down that run at the plate.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #1082
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

He's made some key plays but I have seen quite a few balls get to the outfield that SloCab should have gotten to.. That most shortstops would have gotten to.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #1083
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, as the old saying goes (or maybe I just made it up)... you can't make errors on balls you don't get to. It seems like there is a lot he can't reach any more.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #1084
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Unbelievable. Another good Greinke start, another loss once he leaves. I think I heard on the radio that has already happened to him four times this year.

The Royals are going to send me to my grave.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #1085
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Jason Heyward!

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:54 PM   #1086
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully like 2 more weeks til we get to see Alvarez and Tabata. And can shitcan a Jeff Clement/Steve Pearce/Lastings Milledge type player.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #1087
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola-

This Aki Iwramura thing ain't working out either. Basically we got him for almost nothing, but he's playing like shit. Former 11th overall picked top catching prospect, turned mediocre third baseman prospect, turned possible major league utility switch hitting body Neil Walker has been playing 2nd a lot in AAA. He's from Pine Richlands HS(Pittsburgh) and they might just give him a chance. He's also been raking(suprisingly) in AAA this year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #1088
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Does Dusty even want to fucking win today? (I would love to be proven wrong)

This lineup is just pathetic. Cairo hitting second? SECOND!?

Nix over Haisey?!?!

Janish dead?!

Phillips cleanup against this guy?
Old 05-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #1089
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Does Dusty even want to fucking win today? (I would love to be proven wrong)

This lineup is just pathetic. Cairo hitting second? SECOND!?

Nix over Haisey?!?!

Janish dead?!

Phillips cleanup against this guy?

8-0 Reds in the 2nd. I'm sorry dusty!
Old 05-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #1090
RedKingGold
College Starter

Yeah, you guys need to hate on Dusty a little less. At least wait until the Red completely fall apart and down to 5th in the division.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #1091
Butter
Coordinator

I think Stubbs needs to go down to the minors for a while and we need to give this Heisey kid a shot at CF. He has been impressive.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #1092
korme
Go Reds

I mean you have to understand the shittiness of today's lineup. Everything really just fell into place in the 2nd. That being said...

Looks like Hanson got mmmm... bopped out of the game!!
Old 05-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #1093
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I think Stubbs needs to go down to the minors for a while and we need to give this Heisey kid a shot at CF. He has been impressive.

Hopefully what will happen is Dickerson comes off the DL and we say goodbye to Laynce Nix.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #1094
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
and we say goodbye to Laynce Nix.

Could the Braves have him?

As of this post, he has a better OPS than McLouth, Melky, and Diaz.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #1095
korme
Go Reds

His career splits are terrible and he looks lost this year. You can have him. He plays average OF.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #1096
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Could the Braves have him?

As of this post, he has a better OPS than McLouth, Melky, and Diaz.

Who better - McLouth (81 OPS+) or Morton (43 ERA+)?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #1097
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Yeah, you guys need to hate on Dusty a little less. At least wait until the Red completely fall apart and down to 5th in the division.

I'd agree. I probably hate on him too much but some shit just floors me.

Cairo hitting second is inexcusable.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #1098
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, this is definitely an anomaly.

Here's the OPS for today's lineup. (Remember league average is 760)

418 !?!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #1099
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nothing really to do with trade evaluations - it was well known that the Rays were looking for someone to take him and his salary off of their hands for a while since they had more starters than they could use, and the Angels more than obliged them, even with his injury at the beginning of the year and declining performance the rest of the way. It was a bizarre trade from the get-go. It's not often that a team makes out like a bandit on both ends of a trade for the same player (they stole Kazmir from the Mets originally).

Indeed. I thought it was general concensus that the Rays won that trade in a landslide, but some Angels fans were hoping against hope that Kaz would return to his breakout year potential.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #1100
Ksyrup

Man, Heyward just had a chance to all but end the Rookie of the Year race with the bases loaded in the 9th down by 3, but he struck out.