Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #1051
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Tomorrow preview.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #1052
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Well I got Mage Knight: The Board Game for Christmas and tried to play the walkthrough last night. I'd played the game once before with a couple friends so I was vaguely familiar with how things went, yet it still took me 2.5 hours just to set up along with the walkthrough and play the first round of the game. It then became apparent that there was no real point to the walkthrough scenario for a solo player (unless I was doing something wrong) so I packed up. I'll have to read the main rulebook and then try one of the real scenarios to get a better appreciation for how the game plays solo. Hopefully I also get better at cutting down the setup time, what a beast of a game in that regard!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #1053
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh, my wife got me Mage Knight as well. Haven't cracekd it yet.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #1054
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Hopefully I also get better at cutting down the setup time, what a beast of a game in that regard!

Having games like Earth Reborn and Mansions of Madness make me chuckle at this. Mage Knight in all honesty doesn't seem that bad. Starcraft tends to be on the tedious side as well.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #1055
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Anyone play Merchants of the Middle Ages or Merchant of Venus here?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #1056
tarcone
Coordinator

I got Escape! The Curse of the Temple.
My family played it several times. Very intense and fun. My daughters enjoyed as did my wife. I may get some good play out of this one.

It is a good ten minutes of chaotic fun.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #1057
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Having played several more games of Legendary, I'm still enjoying it. The game gets significantly more difficult with more players, as more villains come into play while the players' decks are still weak and underdeveloped.

That being said, the quality of the cards is simply atrocious. After fewer than ten play throughs, the cards are sticking to each other badly, wearing at the corners and are generally a pain in the ass. If you're goin to get the game I highly recommend sleeving the cards.

Played this on Christmas with the kids, a lot of fun and my son actually sleeved every single card in the game, for the reason you state. We were playing with 5 players and it definitely made it more challenging.

Also played Blood Bowl Team Manager, which is a really nice 35-45 minute play, lot of strategy involved and things can swing pretty quick.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #1058
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
D&D game that can be played solitaire for sale right now.....

Amazon.com: Dungeons and Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game: Toys & Games

How are these D&D board games? I just read a little bit about this one and looks pretty interesting. My buddy and I were talking this past week that we wanted to get a role playing or war board game to mess around with.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #1059
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Got King of Tokyo, Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries and the Eclipse Expansion over the holidays. Haven't gotten into TtR:NC yet, but have played the other two.

King of Tokyo is awesome. It's like Yahtzee with a more flexible scoring system and giant monsters. Games are quick, the rules are incredibly easy to pick up and even losing is somehow fun. Basically, you have six dice and three total rolls. After each roll, you can keep any, all or none of the results and roll again. The ability to strategize which dice you are keeping and which you are re-rolling does a great job of curbing the 'random' feel that dice games usually give. Our resident 'I hate everything random' player even commented on how he didn't at all feel screwed by the dice. There's still a strong random element to the game, but having this control really helps to offset that. We've played it with three players, we'll be giving it a crack with four (maybe five) this evening.

Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients is a modular expansion that adds a whole slew of things to the original game, most notably four new alien races, rare technologies and beefier ancient aliens with some special rules. We played a three player game with EVERYTHING included, and we were able to play each of the new races except for the Magellan. Including the beefy ancients does a pretty good job of slowing expansion early, while the new technologies (which are for the most part defensive - Intelligent Hull which provides +1 to attack rolls AND a point of hull, point-defense systems that allow you to attempt to shoot incoming missiles out of the sky, etc) give the game a bit more balance. We've only given it one run through (three players), but with the expansion the game seems to have even more options for different winning strategies. Tonight we'll be giving it another go with at least four players, and possibly five.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 12-27-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #1060
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
How are these D&D board games? I just read a little bit about this one and looks pretty interesting. My buddy and I were talking this past week that we wanted to get a role playing or war board game to mess around with.

I have played this one several times and it is enjoyable. There are a number of scenarios and given some of the randomness, I think there is some replayability.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #1061
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I just got eliminated on turn three of an Eclipse game. Playing as the peace-loving researching Hydran Progress, I had an overexuberant Orion Hegemony neighbor I couldn't box out with exploration tiles. Complete and utter shit luck the whole time.

I love this game.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #1062
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

My order that has been on hold since July finally got a tracking number. Not sure how, but it says it was shipped on the 27th and is suppose to be here on the 29th. I don't think I have ever gotten something from CSI in two days. Add in weather and I'm guessing early next week. This is definitely one of those orders you start off with and watch it grow as time goes on and since you are getting free shipping anyway. Next thing you know it's like, "Oh crap, that's huge." I'm likely done with getting games outside of birthdays and Christmas for some time anyway. Even the most wanted game feels like I might get it eventually.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #1063
tarcone
Coordinator

Game day Sunday. We are starting at noon. Not sure the number of people, but it looks like 5. Probably 4. Im taking Game of Thrones, Eclipse, Escape! and maybe one or 2 others. Havent looked yet. One guy has Cards Against Humanity. And Im sure other games will be played. Im thinking a good 8 or 9 hour session with breaks to watch the Rams.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #1064
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Picked up D&D board game: The Legend of Drizzt and Ticket to Ride. Having a couple guys coming over tomorrow night to try them out- can't wait!!!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 12-28-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #1065
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I played Merchant of Venus once about two years ago. I enjoyed it a lot. So much so, I just punched my own copy of the reprint last night. Even more components than I remembered. I'm going to try to get it on the table this weekend, but probably only so far as to figure it out and pick a rule set, either the classic game or FFG's take on it.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #1066
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I just got eliminated on turn three of an Eclipse game. Playing as the peace-loving researching Hydran Progress, I had an overexuberant Orion Hegemony neighbor I couldn't box out with exploration tiles. Complete and utter shit luck the whole time.

I love this game.

Never had that happen so early. You must have just been steam rolled.
Not that that is a bad thing. =)

Last edited by Glengoyne : 12-28-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #1067
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Picked up D&D board game: The Legend of Drizzt and Ticket to Ride. Having a couple guys coming over tomorrow night to try them out- can't wait!!!

You haven' played ticket to ride?

In the words of XKCD, you are one of today's lucky 10,000!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-28-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #1068
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Never had that happen so early. You must have just been steam rolled.
Not that that is a bad thing. =)

Well, he had connected to me by the end of turn one. He drew a Materials discovery tile and dropped two cruisers on my home planet in turn two. As the Hydrans, you have one interceptor and two materials to start. I had absolutely no hope. I managed to squeeze out a cruiser with improved hull and a gauss shield, but the dice didn't go my way and I had lost my home sector by the end of turn two. Turn three was just mop-up. It was ridiculous. And awesome.

Edit: It was a pretty perfect storm that wiped me out, but being neighbors with the Orion Hegemony as the Hydran Progress is a tough go even when everything isn't stacked against you.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 12-28-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #1069
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

Yes, Merchants of Venus many, many times. So much so that some of the money has food and drink stains.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #1070
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Got my dreadball game, just need to find opponents now
Old 12-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #1071
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Made my call, opted for MoV.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #1072
tarcone
Coordinator

Just got home from Game day.
Played Cards Against Humanity. What a crazy game. With the right group this is a really fun game. Raunchy, Hilarious, and a good time. I really enjoyed it,.
Then Game of Thrones. I was Baratheon. Struggled, but got to the point where I was one castle from winning and armies that had a chance to take a castle. Greyjoy also was one away from winning. Before the turn we bid on the tracks. I bid everything on the iron throne. Hoping to go 1st and get a castle. But I made a mistake not trying to get higher on the sword track. I was unable to either castle because of this. And Greyjoy got their 7th castle to win.
Next was Munchkin. It was the one where you played as spies. It was fun. A different spin on it. Lost that too.
Then we played Mission:Red Planet. This is a fun game. Im glad it got to the table. The guys enjoyed. Its a pretty simple, but strategic game. And lost again.
Played on last game of Cards Against Humanity. And lost that also.

Had a great time. We started about 1 and playeed until 9. We watched a football game and took a break to get food. But a nice long day of games.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #1073
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Played some Axis and Allies over the weekend and had a blast. Are there any war games that any of you would say were better than A&A? I'm thinking about getting the 2nd edition Europe and Pacific but was wondering if any of you suggest a different (better) game...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #1074
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

We had a New Year's Eve board game fest. Lady H_B made some homemade mole and tamales and we had friends over for some gaming.

We played:

1. Zombicide (won)
2. Arkham Horror (lost)
3. Pandemic (lost)
4. Two games of Defenders of the Realm (lost and won)

Co-op gaming goodness!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #1075
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Played a marathon game of Cards Against Humanity at New Years. Fucking hilarious.

My personal favorite winner:

"The Pope - Kid Tested, Mother Approved."
Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #1076
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I love Cards Against Humanity as well. I think my favorite combo that I've ever played was:

The new Lifetime movie about ___________ was called ____________.

I filled in the blanks with "the Virginia Tech shooting" and "the Big Bang Theory."
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #1077
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Played a marathon game of Cards Against Humanity at New Years. Fucking hilarious.

My personal favorite winner:

"The Pope - Kid Tested, Mother Approved."

I once played that and didn't win the round. Travesty.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #1078
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Cards Against Humanity is basically Apples to Apples at that point in the night where you've gone through the deck a time or two, long enough to be holding onto cards like Hitler and Helen Keller so you can play them for maximum "wrongness" value.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-03-2013 at 02:27 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #1079
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I did have MechaHitler.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #1080
mckerney
Coordinator

TableTop is back, this time with Dodger!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #1081
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Cards Against Humanity is a fantastic game! Totally Apples to Apples for dirty minded people.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #1082
tarcone
Coordinator

The maker of Axis and Aliies is making a WWI version.

Axis & Allies 1914 World War I Announcement | Axis & Allies .org

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
Old 01-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #1083
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Got my one order in and my Christmas was very much a board gamers Christmas. The big thing was getting Cosmic Encounter. I'm going through and reorganizing my whole collection. I'm starting to use GMT trays and Plano boxes as well. I really got tired of the plastic bags. I'm still not 100% set, but I'm a lot closer.

I think for this year I'm going to sit back and wait to set what comes out that will be awesome and get it in 2014. There's not a lot on any BGG geek lists for games coming out in 2013 that get me that excited. My goal for getting games in 2013 is down to Suburbia, Agricola, and maybe Sekigahara when it gets reprinted. All of those will be birthday and Christmas gifts if I can stand the wait. I'm mostly looking at going to the three conventions in MI(two being a stone's throw for me), building my own gamers group, and playing my own stuff. I already recruited a guy for my gamers group that has over 400 games.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #1084
cschex
High School Varsity

Question for 7 Wonders players: Has anyone played the 2 player variant? If os, impressions or thoughts? It's a game that looks really fun but due to family situation, it's typically just my wife and I who can play on a regular basis so it's harder to find time to play with more than two. We typcailly play Dominion, Pandemic, Blokus and a few others but I want to expand our gaming cabinet

Last edited by cschex : 01-04-2013 at 05:29 PM.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #1085
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

7 Wonders is playable with fewer, but it's not nearly as good a game. The 2 player variant involves the two players taking turns playing the third hand. Sadly, my normal gaming group doesn't like the game very much, so it doesn't get much table time. I think it's fantastic with 4+.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #1086
twothree
College Prospect

I haven't played a board game since August, because I started buying computer games again after getting a new video card and Civ V. I also recently purchased both Blood Bowl and Ticket to Ride for my computer and have been playing online quite a bit.

While I don't count online versions of board games played, I did keep track of the physical board games that I played last year using BGG.

I played a total of 86 different games. Twelve game I played more than once last year:

Agricola (10 times)
At the Gates of Loyang (5 times)
Pandemic (5 times)
Friday (3 times)
Kingdom Builder (3 times)
Bios: Megafauna (2 times)
Campaign Manager 2008 (2 times)
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game (2 times)
Flash Point: Fire Rescue (2 times)
Imperial 2030 (2 times)
Ora et Labora (2 times)
Power Grid (2 times)

Kingdom Builder was easily my favorite game to play last year and I wish I could have played it more than 3 times.

Last edited by twothree : 01-04-2013 at 09:01 PM.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #1087
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Played some Axis and Allies over the weekend and had a blast. Are there any war games that any of you would say were better than A&A? I'm thinking about getting the 2nd edition Europe and Pacific but was wondering if any of you suggest a different (better) game...

Attack! and the Expansion. I have been reading up on these. They seem more detailed and more flexible than A&A. The basic game of Attack! it like $9 on Amazon. The Expansion is $89.
I am really intrigued by this game. But My wife and I have put a limit on spending this year. So it may be awahile before this one is purchased.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
Old 01-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #1088
mckerney
Coordinator

Cardboard Children – Board Game of the Year 2012 | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Rab Florence says the game of the year is Spartacus, a surprising tie in to the STARZ show.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #1089
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

UndeadViking, a well known reviewer on BGG, put it as his number two fully admitting it had flaws, but yet being too fun to deny.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #1090
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Kingdom Death: Monster not only took the mantle of largest KS for a board game, it more than doubled it finishing over 2 million. First time designer, no publisher, base game with 10 expansions(even if small ones), and over 5K in orders. The dude literally did a KS to just find somebody to make him the miniatures in the first place.

Last edited by Matthean : 01-07-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #1091
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Well I got Mage Knight: The Board Game for Christmas and tried to play the walkthrough last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Heh, my wife got me Mage Knight as well. Haven't cracekd it yet.

I three got Mage Knight from Christmas.

I haven't really dug into it yet either.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #1092
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Cardboard Children – Board Game of the Year 2012 | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Rab Florence says the game of the year is Spartacus, a surprising tie in to the STARZ show.

I've got to say that of the 2012 releases I've played, Spartacus is the run away winner. Just a helluva lot of fun. The only games that come close are a couple of 2011 releases in Eclipse and Kingdom Builder.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #1093
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Anyone have any suggestions for computer or apps games for any of the mention games in this thread? I was really hoping for a Dominion game somewhere but can not find one...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #1094
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Carcassone is pretty good, and the Ticket to Ride ones are also great.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #1095
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions for computer or apps games for any of the mention games in this thread? I was really hoping for a Dominion game somewhere but can not find one...

I think there are some online Dominion games, though nothing official.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #1096
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Check out VASSAL - it has a lot of modules for boardgames. Some are better done than others.

www.vassalengine.org

Last edited by dzilla77 : 01-08-2013 at 09:07 PM.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #1097
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I have some modules for Vassal and overall, it's very enhhhhhh

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #1098
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Vassal is basically awesome for wargamers and specifically for chit based wargames.

The designer of Forbidden Island is making Forbidden Desert.

Last edited by Matthean : 01-08-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #1099
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I just installed VASSAL a couple days ago to try out the Mage Knight module. It seems pretty fiddly but it might allow me to play a game over multiple days, which I can't do with the physical board because I have nowhere to leave it set up.

There is also an app called OCTGN that I have tried in the past for playing Lord of the Rings: Living Card Game. It seemed a little more straight forward but doesn't seem to have as much of a user base.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #1100
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

To the original question, there are lots of great board games on iOS, but outside of that the best site I've seen online is Yucata. There are a few big names on there like A Few Acres of Snow, Thunderstone, and Stone Age but mostly it appears to be stuff I've never, or only vaguely, heard of.

Last edited by Fidatelo : 01-09-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: edit to add link to Yucata