Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2023, 05:46 PM   #1051
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Very true. Here's the interview I think. It's worth listening just to hear what happens behind the scenes of a team drafting a QB. That regime drafted Fields and Trubisky.

RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 09:14 PM   #1052
miami_fan
Coordinator

The metric was games started. The counter for those who did not agree with Carroll's use of that metric was Matt Cassell who had just completed that NFL season with the Patriots. Look what he did without starting any games at USC.

I really liked that article that Jon posted. It echoed many of my thoughts on the state of young QB play in the NFL. I now wonder if teams should stop drafting young QBs most of whom require development and just sign veterans like a Tyrod or even a Jimmy G who have built that deep reservoir of on-field experience and is more ready to step in and play right away. Just keep doing that until who are in the position to get the next Mahomes in the draft.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 09:39 PM   #1053
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The metric was games started. The counter for those who did not agree with Carroll's use of that metric was Matt Cassell who had just completed that NFL season with the Patriots. Look what he did without starting any games at USC.

I really liked that article that Jon posted. It echoed many of my thoughts on the state of young QB play in the NFL. I now wonder if teams should stop drafting young QBs most of whom require development and just sign veterans like a Tyrod or even a Jimmy G who have built that deep reservoir of on-field experience and is more ready to step in and play right away. Just keep doing that until who are in the position to get the next Mahomes in the draft.

I can emphatically say no team should sign Jimmy G
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 12:24 AM   #1054
Danny
Head Coach

What a glorious Halloween evening. Josh Mcdaniels fired!
Old 11-01-2023, 01:35 AM   #1055
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
What a glorious Halloween evening. Josh Mcdaniels fired!

He still gets paid so I'd be okay with that.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:37 AM   #1056
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
how about WR Donovan Peoples-Jones from Cleveland for a sixth rounder?

Not since World B Free has their been a dumber sounding sports name
Old 11-01-2023, 01:56 AM   #1057
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Some of the worst QB play i have ever seen in my life.

Please fire Mcdaniels and start Aidan Oconnell the rest of the season to see what you have.

your wish is granted
Old 11-01-2023, 02:00 AM   #1058
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Lions seem desperate to give this game away, can the Raiders take it?

both teams are terrible. I'm calling them the Blind Lions from now on as they can't seem to find the end zone. What the frick was that....every drive they march it down the field only to fail within the 10. And that fumble at the one BS yuk. THeir PK got a workout then fails what was essentially an extra point.

Neither team will make it through the playoffs in any case.

Blind Lions will get killed when they face the Eagles, 9ers, Chiefs
Old 11-01-2023, 02:06 AM   #1059
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
He still gets paid so I'd be okay with that.

He will definitely get his money. But he may go down as the worst two time head coach in NFL history. I'm usually for giving guys some time to put their plan into place and learn and improve, but he proved he was the same coach as he was with Denver. Never wanted a coach fired this much before.

Last edited by Danny : 11-01-2023 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-01-2023, 02:22 AM   #1060
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Finally. Close out a drive.

Quote:

It's funny. I saw these two posts yesterday and I just watched the game a little bit ago. Funny I could not figure out which moment you were referring to at the time...because there were soooo many moments like this
Old 11-01-2023, 02:47 AM   #1061
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox
both teams are terrible. I'm calling them the Blind Lions from now on as they can't seem to find the end zone. What the frick was that....every drive they march it down the field only to fail within the 10. And that fumble at the one BS yuk. THeir PK got a workout then fails what was essentially an extra point.

Neither team will make it through the playoffs in any case.

Blind Lions will get killed when they face the Eagles, 9ers, Chiefs

Definitely wasn't a good showing by the Lions, but the 49ers have lost three games in a row and Kansas City just lost badly at Denver. Based on what should we conclude those teams would kill Detroit, when they aren't even beating bad teams just now?
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 04:35 AM   #1062
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

This is gold

Broncos blast Taylor Swift’s ‘Shake it Off’ after beating Chiefs in surprising victory
Old 11-01-2023, 08:38 AM   #1063
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Raiders fire head coach Josh McDaniels, general manager David Ziegler

Shocked, SHOCKED I tellz ya!
Old 11-01-2023, 09:07 AM   #1064
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

McDaniels didn't bring over his best play from New England: Have Tom Brady be your QB.

I admire his desire to innovate, but it did not work out this time.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:49 AM   #1065
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Jim Harbaugh coaching the Raiders would be the gift that keeps giving, I think.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:01 AM   #1066
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I can emphatically say no team should sign Jimmy G

Are we sure if Jimmy G did not get hurt, he would not still be the 49ers’ starting QB? I mean we can’t act like people weren’t fighting tooth and nail for him to be the starter in SF less than a year ago.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-01-2023, 11:28 AM   #1067
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Taylor Heinicke will replace Desmond Ridder as the Atlanta Falcons' starting quarterback on Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings, coach Arthur Smith announced Wednesday.
Old 11-01-2023, 11:57 AM   #1068
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Taylor Heinicke will replace Desmond Ridder as the Atlanta Falcons' starting quarterback on Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings, coach Arthur Smith announced Wednesday.
"Just for this week." Ridder is available and will be the back-up. This feels like a Heinicke try out, along with a hope of a wake-up call for Ridder. I wonder if they had actually let the two compete for the job in camp instead of just crowning Ridder from the start if things wouldn't have played out better.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 12:09 PM   #1069
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
"Just for this week." Ridder is available and will be the back-up. This feels like a Heinicke try out, along with a hope of a wake-up call for Ridder. I wonder if they had actually let the two compete for the job in camp instead of just crowning Ridder from the start if things wouldn't have played out better.

So, what then ... this is some sort of Saban-esque attempt to wake Ridder up?

Uh huh, kinda got a strong feeling how that'll work out.
Old 11-01-2023, 12:50 PM   #1070
miami_fan
Coordinator

Assuming that he has used up the going back to New England to repair his reputation card, does McDaniels have to join Saban's staff before he gets another shot as a HC? No, I don't believe that McDaniels won't get one more shot though I think it will be a college job this time.
Old 11-01-2023, 12:58 PM   #1071
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Assuming that he has used up the going back to New England to repair his reputation card, does McDaniels have to join Saban's staff before he gets another shot as a HC? No, I don't believe that McDaniels won't get one more shot though I think it will be a college job this time.

0 chance Mcd gets a decent college job. He has 0 charisma and likeability for recruiting. Hes done as a head coach at any meaningful level.

Last edited by Danny : 11-01-2023 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 01:01 PM   #1072
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Why does Josh McDaniels run his QB off everywhere he goes? He did it in Denver with Cutler and then again with the Raiders and Carr.

Either he has no idea how to evaluate QB play or he has a serious issue with an established veteran presence in the locker room at QB. It's bizarre to me that he has ran off two pro bowl caliber, albeit not top 5 talent, QB's that were already there waiting for him to scheme them over the top in his two HC stints.

Last edited by dubb93 : 11-01-2023 at 01:16 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 02:20 PM   #1073
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I've been reading up on the Josh McDaniels and Dave Ziegler era in Las Vegas, the mistakes they made, why they were fired, etc. It's crazy how many parallels you can draw between their downfall and the reasons Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia flamed out so hard in Detroit. They each have their own unique aspects, but there are a lot of similarities.

The moral of the story: Don't hire a former New England executive and assistant coach to be your new GM and Head Coach duo. It will end badly.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 04:48 PM   #1074
miami_fan
Coordinator

Bears fire David Walker over workplace behavior, source confirms - ESPN
Old 11-01-2023, 05:10 PM   #1075
Ksyrup

I was told that McDaniels bombed in Denver because he was too young but he had matured and was ready for a job.

He's like Lane Kiffin with zero charisma. He may not be liked, but he can't even get hated like Kiffin for being an arrogant smart ass troll. He's just unlikeable and sucks at his job.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-01-2023, 05:20 PM   #1076
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Why does Josh McDaniels run his QB off everywhere he goes? He did it in Denver with Cutler and then again with the Raiders and Carr.

Either he has no idea how to evaluate QB play or he has a serious issue with an established veteran presence in the locker room at QB. It's bizarre to me that he has ran off two pro bowl caliber, albeit not top 5 talent, QB's that were already there waiting for him to scheme them over the top in his two HC stints.

There's a story about how when McDaniels was with the Broncos he told the team he could turn a high school QB into an All-Pro in his system.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 05:40 PM   #1077
bhlloy
Coordinator

I hate the SOB, but damn I don’t think more and more each day that Tom Brady has made a lot of people a lot of money in the NFL that they otherwise might not have had a chance at seeing.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 05:56 PM   #1078
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bears now with as many wins as coaches fired for workplace behavior.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:28 PM   #1079
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Can a Robot Referee be called "Hot"?

Cylon spotted in Pittsburgh
(reversing a field goal on an offsides call)
Old 11-02-2023, 10:31 PM   #1080
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Not gonna lie. I enjoyed seeing Pickett and others get karma creamed by the Jaguars. I did really enjoy watching backup Trabinsky scramble and make plays. Jags are going to need someone else aside from ETN to make plays tho but they are a good team. I expect their QB to be on the cover of Tiger Beat magazine soon.

Especially laughed when Jags intercepted a ball then twirled one of Pittsburgh's stupid towels in the air after the play. hehehe
Old 11-02-2023, 10:31 PM   #1081
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Cylon spotted in Pittsburgh
(reversing a field goal on an offsides call)

It is called makeup and no.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 06:29 AM   #1082
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Mike Tomlin is a hell of a coach. Going 12-8 in Pickett's starts is really exceptional.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:27 AM   #1083
Ksyrup

I was shocked to see Pickett's already got 7 4Q/OT comeback wins.

I picked the Steelers as one of my teams in a $100M salary cap game simply because Tomlin seems to win at least 8-9 games, minimum, every year.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:56 AM   #1084
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Mike Tomlin is a hell of a coach. Going 12-8 in Pickett's starts is really exceptional.

and now Tennessee looks like another AFC team with a good (promising, at least?), young QB that is already better than Pickett.

Levis' numbers weren't great, but the defense pressured the hell out of him and he made some really good passes. He really only made bad decisions on that final drive, when they had limited time and only one time out.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 07:59 AM   #1085
Ksyrup

Yeah, I was pretty impressed with Levis's pocket presence and his ability to throw a strong pass with the flick of a wrist. He definitely showed way better decision-making and accuracy than last year at UK.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:13 AM   #1086
Swaggs
Coordinator

Levis had a couple of screen passes that he absolutely played perfectly, where he drew in the defenders and got rid of it at the perfect time. They both broke for like 15-20+ yards and I couldn't even be mad because they looked so nice.

The AFC South teams, between Lawrence (24), Levis (24), Stroud (22), and Richardson (21), has some good looking, young QBs. The difference between the AFC and NFC in QB talent right now is pretty remarkable.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 08:24 AM   #1087
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
He definitely showed way better decision-making and accuracy than last year at UK.

Not an extraordinary bar to clear, once conference play began he was barely mediocre, and appeared to have regressed from the previous year.
Old 11-04-2023, 04:32 AM   #1088
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Just watched the Rams/Cowboys game. It was so lopsided that the network cutaway in the 4th quarter to the Commanders/Eagles game.

Am I the only one that seriously HATES the name "Commanders"?
The jerseys are terrible

Added neat trivia: Mark Rypien's nephew played QB for the Rams in the second half of the game.
Old 11-04-2023, 02:02 PM   #1089
Atocep
Coordinator

Bears extend Sweat for 4 years and 98 mil on a heavily front loaded deal to take advantage of the Bears cap space.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 05:39 PM   #1090
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I wonder if anyone else does what I do and record all the games I can then watch them thoughout the week. I realize most just watch them all on sunday as they play. I just don't want to watch THAT much at a time plus i like to skip all the commercials and downtime of the game. But I wonder if others find this annoying.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:57 AM   #1091
GrantDawg

Man, KC is killing Miami in the first half.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:15 AM   #1092
Ksyrup

Quote:
I wonder if anyone else does what I do and record all the games I can then watch them thoughout the week. I realize most just watch them all on sunday as they play. I just don't want to watch THAT much at a time plus i like to skip all the commercials and downtime of the game. But I wonder if others find this annoying.

I refuse to watch ANY game on replay. If I miss it live, I miss it. If I can't watch, I don't ignore it and watch later, I just follow along on stats. I don't care that much. If I have a Saturday/Sunday to sit and watch everything, awesome. If not, that's why the internet exists.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:16 AM   #1093
Ksyrup

That weird turnover/TD at the end of the half was, I guess, one of those instances where "tie goes to the WR" worked to Hill's disadvantage because I don't think he caught the ball before he got hit, but the ball was stuck between him and the DB for plenty of time for it to have been possessed by SOMEONE, and it was his bad luck that the ball came out.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:17 AM   #1094
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Usually I record them with that plan but then end up deleting them before I watch them.

I only watch a full game live a couple of times a year.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 10:24 AM   #1095
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Dolphins just have no rhythm and the few good plays they've had have been called back on penalties.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 10:49 AM   #1096
larrymcg421
Head Coach

There's a thing Mahomes has been doing where when he runs near the sidelines, he seems to deliberately try to slow up at the last second and try to draw a late hit out of bounds. It almost worked again, but the refs didn't throw the flag.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 10:59 AM   #1097
GrantDawg

Dolphins are charging back.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2023, 11:35 AM   #1098
GrantDawg

For an exciting game to end like that sucks.

Old 11-05-2023, 12:37 PM   #1099
GrantDawg

The rookie quarterback for the Vikings gets knocked out in the first quarter with a concussion. Josh Dobbs will come in after just a week with the team.

Old 11-05-2023, 12:44 PM   #1100
GrantDawg

And the Falcons tackle Dobbs for a safety on his first series.