Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #1051
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Who's to say that the mother forced the kid to say anything? Do you know the context of the gathering? Maybe she made a public reference there that day? Maybe the kid saw something on TV earlier that day or the day before and it made him angry and stuck with him?

Kudos to the kid.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-07-2011 at 09:46 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #1052
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Are we sure they aren't polling Obama supporters?

They might as well. With only the Republican primaries in contention, there are going to be a lot of Dems voting GOP in the primaries.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #1053
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Who's to say that the mother forced the kid to say anything? Do you know the context of the gathering? Maybe she made a public reference there that day? Maybe the kid saw something on TV earlier that day or the day before and it made him angry and stuck with him?

Kudos to the kid.

This. My son and daughter would have done something like that when they were that age (well, my son is that exact age). Of course, they both would have said it way too loudly.

BTW, not that exact statement, unless my wife hasn't told me something I need to know.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 12-07-2011 at 09:52 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #1054
Swaggs
Coordinator

Finally, a candidate that will stand up to Obama's war on religion:

I'm having trouble telling if this is a real ad or a Saturday Night Live sketch, but I'm pretty sure that this guy is the governor of Texas.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #1055
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Found this to be somewhat cowardly. I don't agree with any anti-gay stances by candidates personally, but if you're going to confront a candidate, have the 'balls' to do it yourself rather than grab a camcorder and force your kid to make the statement. I thought Bachmann handled this pretty well given the scenario. Politely say good bye and move on.

Michele Bachmann vs. the 8-Year-Old | The Upshot - Yahoo! News

I thought it was hilarious and enjoyed Bachmann getting told to her face her views on gay marriage are crazy and seeing her unable to react (at least right away).

That being said, I had this exact same thought as MBBF as well. If you feel strongly about something, say it yourself, don't get somebody else to that you know will make for a better YouTube/HuffPo video, especially your nervous child. Would love to see an interview with the mother and get some clarification on how this video came to be.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #1056
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Agreed. Felt to me like the kid was nervous and hesitant, which led me to believe that he was put up to it.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #1057
JediKooter
Coordinator

Or maybe she's just a kid that knew the spot light was on her and was just nervous?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #1058
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Maybe he was. All I have is my interpretation of it.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #1059
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Agreed. Felt to me like the kid was nervous and hesitant, which led me to believe that he was put up to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Or maybe she's just a kid that knew the spot light was on her and was just nervous?

Unintended humor, but I found it amusing that a kid on a video who was saying that their 'moms' didn't need fixing was called 'he' by one poster and 'she' by another. Maybe the whole 'mom and mom' thing does cause some confusion.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #1060
JediKooter
Coordinator

Ah, my confusion may be from just a quick byline on yahoo. I didn't read the article, but, for some reason 'girl' was stuck in my head.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #1061
larrymcg421
Head Coach

"I am for people, individuals–exactly like automobile insurance–individuals having health insurance and being required to have health insurance. And I am prepared to vote for a voucher system which will give individuals, on a sliding scale, a government subsidy so we insure that everyone as individuals have health insurance." - Newt Gingrich, 1993

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #1062
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
"I am for people, individuals–exactly like automobile insurance–individuals having health insurance and being required to have health insurance. And I am prepared to vote for a voucher system which will give individuals, on a sliding scale, a government subsidy so we insure that everyone as individuals have health insurance." - Newt Gingrich, 1993

Yep he is a conservative populist. He says what ever it takes to get elected. Sadly it is also often the winning strategy and he is aware of it and using it to his gain. Does anyone really think he has any intent on cutting back government at all? (Even the Democratic "pet" programs)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #1063
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Geez. Jon Huntsman just jumped out from behind a tree and garrotted Romney.

He won't win, but he's been doing a pretty good job of taking Romney down with him.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #1064
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Finally, a candidate that will stand up to Obama's war on religion:

I'm having trouble telling if this is a real ad or a Saturday Night Live sketch, but I'm pretty sure that this guy is the governor of Texas.

Nothing says EPIC FAIL like: 540 likes, TWENTY THOUSAND DISLIKES.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #1065
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's been a Republican position up until the Democrat supported it.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-07-2011 at 06:21 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #1066
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Geez. Jon Huntsman just jumped out from behind a tree and garrotted Romney.

Romney's campaign is bizarre. Almost like running a prevent defense the entire time. Never take a position and just sort of hope the other guys screw up.

Been seeing more of Huntsman on TV lately and wondering if maybe some in the party are trying to turn him into the next flavor of the month. He's the only conservative who has a shot at Obama.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #1067
lungs
Pro Rookie

Am I the only one that has noticed a lot (most) of the Huntsman love coming from Democrats/Liberals? I mean, the fact that I find Huntsman to be fairly agreeable should tell us how much of a chance he has to win the Republican nomination.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #1068
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Am I the only one that has noticed a lot (most) of the Huntsman love coming from Democrats/Liberals? I mean, the fact that I find Huntsman to be fairly agreeable should tell us how much of a chance he has to win the Republican nomination.

Yeah notice the guys (Rainmaker, JPhillips) who keep talking Huntsman up. Now I am a Ron Paul guy so I am not huge on the polls but this guy is at like 1% and these guys talk about how he is the next thing. Sure...

Quote:
Been seeing more of Huntsman on TV lately and wondering if maybe some in the party are trying to turn him into the next flavor of the month. He's the only conservative who has a shot at Obama.

I am sure you are watching networks that a lot of potential Republican voters watch.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #1069
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Huntsman is a conservative I can vote for. *shrugs* I know I'm in the minority, that the more right of the right wing you are the better off you are in the R race.. even Huntsman is moving to the right on Climate Change..
Old 12-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #1070
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dola: Perry's up to 40,000 dislikes already.. honestly, I'm going to be interested to see if it comes close to one of the holy grails of most hated video on youtube (Rebecca Black's Friday) has 250,000.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #1071
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Huntsman will become far less appealing to liberals once some of his views come out. For instance, he wants to completely repeal the capital gains tax (which may or may not be a good idea, but certainly not one that's going to gain favor with many on the left). Sadly, the mere fact a Republican candidate believes in science and doesn't completely pander to the right-wing is enough to gain some traction with liberals now, though.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #1072
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah notice the guys (Rainmaker, JPhillips) who keep talking Huntsman up. Now I am a Ron Paul guy so I am not huge on the polls but this guy is at like 1% and these guys talk about how he is the next thing. Sure...

I am sure you are watching networks that a lot of potential Republican voters watch.

Is this the part where I'm a super far-left liberal because I don't agree with Ron Paul's retarded, out-of-touch policies? I hate to break it to you, but most people with a basic understanding of the government don't either. I don't consider them hardcore liberals either.

It's a shitty debate tactic that forces you to never have to actually defend a position. Just portray anyone who doesn't agree with you as being "on the other side" and you don't have to show any substance. Sorry that some of us don't treat Alex Jones like the Associated Press, but it doesn't make us tree-hugging hippies.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-07-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #1073
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Clarification, I wasn't necessarily talking about FOFC. Moreso on other boards/places where people talk about politics, it's the liberals talking up Huntsman. Must be because there is no Democratic race so they need to tout the RINO.

I'm hoping Michele Bachmann has a comeback in her yet personally. The other guys are just worthless politicians, whereas the batshit crazy Bachmann would be much more entertaining and give the far-right an accurate assessment that their views are, well, batshit crazy compared to the rest of the populace.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #1074
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjjdnh View Post
Huntsman will become far less appealing to liberals once some of his views come out. For instance, he wants to completely repeal the capital gains tax (which may or may not be a good idea, but certainly not one that's going to gain favor with many on the left). Sadly, the mere fact a Republican candidate believes in science and doesn't completely pander to the right-wing is enough to gain some traction with liberals now, though.
I don't think liberals do like him. He's a pretty hardcore conservative. Issues don't seem to matter much to conservatives these days (these are the people who call Reagan a beacon of conservatism). Huntsman actually does the shit he stands for and doesn't just pander to bullshit culture wars and nationalism that means squat once elected.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #1075
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Clarification, I wasn't necessarily talking about FOFC. Moreso on other boards/places where people talk about politics, it's the liberals talking up Huntsman. Must be because there is no Democratic race so they need to tout the RINO.

I'm hoping Michele Bachmann has a comeback in her yet personally. The other guys are just worthless politicians, whereas the batshit crazy Bachmann would be much more entertaining and give the far-right an accurate assessment that their views are, well, batshit crazy compared to the rest of the populace.
There have been a ton of editorials of late by influential people on the right touting Huntsman's conservatism. It just seemed to me that there was some kind of push from within the party to get his name out there more. These things typically come down from orders from the top.

The case for Jon Huntsman’s conservatism « The Enterprise Blog
http://www.redstate.com/erick/2011/1...cember-1-2011/
The GOP’s front-runners: Bad and worse - The Washington Post
The Huntsman Handicap - NYTimes.com
Old 12-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #1076
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
There have been a ton of editorials of late by influential people on the right touting Huntsman's conservatism. It just seemed to me that there was some kind of push from within the party to get his name out there more. These things typically come down from orders from the top.

The Horserace for December 1, 2011 | RedState

I guess I also frequent some boards (agricultural related, very conservative) and the reaction when Huntsman is brought up was a much more hostile version of what JIMGA wrote above. Whether he is conservative or not, he has been branded by conservatives as not being conservative so he is dead in the water.

Interestingly the argument now is whether they will support the Republican candidate just to get Obama out or some other action that does not involve voting for the Republican (sit it out, third party, etc...)
Old 12-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #1077
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I don't think most people who call themselves conservative want an actual conservative. See all the polls with Newt Gingrich leading the way.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #1078
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't think Huntsman has a chance of winning the nomination, but if he did he'd win the general going away. The problem with the GOP base is they'd rather get zero percent of what they want than fifty percent.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #1079
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Huntsman isnt trying to appeal to conservatives. He's clearly not hiding stuff that would bother them. I think it's clear he's running for 2016. And that's why he's now targeting Romney.

If Romney gets the nomination, it's bad for Huntsman no matter what. Either he wins the general and has to wait 8 years or he loses the general and the GOP will blame it on Romney not being conservative enough and Huntsman has no shot

However, if one of the nutcases gets the nomination and loses, then he's got a great argument to make in 2016

Old 12-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #1080
molson
General Manager

Quote:

http://www.redstate.com/erick/2011/1...cember-1-2011/

He was on Saturday Night Live a few weeks ago, which is certainly odd for a seemingly fringe candidate. But I wonder how many Republican primary voters watch Saturday Night Live.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #1081
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Is this the part where I'm a super far-left liberal because I don't agree with Ron Paul's retarded, out-of-touch policies? I hate to break it to you, but most people with a basic understanding of the government don't either. I don't consider them hardcore liberals either.

It's a shitty debate tactic that forces you to never have to actually defend a position. Just portray anyone who doesn't agree with you as being "on the other side" and you don't have to show any substance. Sorry that some of us don't treat Alex Jones like the Associated Press, but it doesn't make us tree-hugging hippies.

Yawn. You preach how "center" you are all the time. Get one board member besides yourself to say you are anything but a liberal who claims to be moderate. Don't know where you got this Alex Jones stuff from (or your implication that I am a fan of his) either but speaking of shitty debate tactics throwing that shit around every time you respond to me is pretty lame as well.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #1082
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Dola: Perry's up to 40,000 dislikes already.. honestly, I'm going to be interested to see if it comes close to one of the holy grails of most hated video on youtube (Rebecca Black's Friday) has 250,000.

Closing in on 100,000 right now. Wonder if it gets taken down soon.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #1083
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yawn. You preach how "center" you are all the time. Get one board member besides yourself to say you are anything but a liberal who claims to be moderate. Don't know where you got this Alex Jones stuff from (or your implication that I am a fan of his) either but speaking of shitty debate tactics throwing that shit around every time you respond to me is pretty lame as well.

I don't preach anything really. I have varying views that you want to define.

And Alex Jones is into that nutty gold standard and illuminati/NWO stuff you insinuate. Figured you got it from there considering that's where a lot of Paul fans come from.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #1084
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yawn. You preach how "center" you are all the time. Get one board member besides yourself to say you are anything but a liberal who claims to be moderate.

*raises hand*
Old 12-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #1085
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Closing in on 100,000 right now. Wonder if it gets taken down soon.

153,809 dislikes at 10 am
Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #1086
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
153,809 dislikes at 10 am

{yawn} Paulbots can generate that much steam w/out much help.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #1087
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

On the issues, Huntsman passes the conservative test. But he really, really fails the temperament test. Right now, a lot of the base is motivated by anti-Obama sentiment. I just can't see them voting for a guy who used to work for him.

(Which is why I think the President put Huntsman into the position in the first place. 4 years ago, he saw Hunstman as the biggest threat to his re-election and made sure to make him toxic to the base.)
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #1088
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Huntsman isnt trying to appeal to conservatives. He's clearly not hiding stuff that would bother them. I think it's clear he's running for 2016. And that's why he's now targeting Romney.

If Romney gets the nomination, it's bad for Huntsman no matter what. Either he wins the general and has to wait 8 years or he loses the general and the GOP will blame it on Romney not being conservative enough and Huntsman has no shot

However, if one of the nutcases gets the nomination and loses, then he's got a great argument to make in 2016

I like this idea.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #1089
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
{yawn} Paulbots can generate that much steam w/out much help.

Yeah, the disparity between likes and dislikes illustrates the general lack of excitement about Perry coupled with the overzealous liberals hoping to make any and all GOP candidates look bad. Someone needs to tell the liberals that the GOP isn't terribly interested in Perry and his candidacy so they can focus their efforts on someone who actually may be a presidential candidate.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #1090
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

BWAhahahaa.. Seriously MBBF.. overzealous liberals are trying to make any and all GOP candidates look bad?

They don't need any help, they do plenty fine on their own!

This was a desperate attempt by Perry to appeal to the base to restart a campaign that's not (quite) dead yet... and it's getting the exact response it deserves.. because there is a good percentage of the right of the right wing that actually THINKS THIS CRAP IS TRUE.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #1091
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
BWAhahahaa.. Seriously MBBF.. overzealous liberals are trying to make any and all GOP candidates look bad?

This was a desperate attempt by Perry to appeal to the base to restart a campaign that's not (quite) dead yet... and it's getting the exact response it deserves.. because there is a good percentage of the right of the right wing that actually THINKS THIS CRAP IS TRUE.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying here. Liberals don't get that most conservatives find him equally appalling. They're trying to stir a pot that already stinks.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #1092
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Wait a second where are all the dislikes coming from?

Not the liberals... "Seriously MBBF.. overzealous liberals are trying to make any and all GOP candidates look bad?"

Not the conservatives... "there is a good percentage of the right of the right wing that actually THINKS THIS CRAP IS TRUE"

Not sure I follow your response?
Old 12-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #1093
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm saying that even moderates and as MBBF says above, "rational conservatives" find this a blatant pander to the social conservatives and find it pretty ridiculous. I agree, a lot fo the dislikes are the people left and center (and center) pointing and laughing at Perry.. but this is a message not well received other then the right of the right wing.. we may not be the intended audience.

As for the first part, there's a reason that neutral sites are writing with "GOP Nomination fight turning into a circus?". When Donald freaking Trump is being considered a kingmaker, you just need a ringmaster and some elephants to have a three ring circus, you already have the clowns.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-08-2011 at 12:07 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #1094
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When Donald freaking Trump is being considered a kingmaker

I'm not sure whether anyone - Trump or otherwise - is going to be able to wring much better than a court jester out of the front runners at this point.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #1095
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So we keep hearing about how the "GOP Establishment" wants to make sure that a moderate with a better chance of winning gets the nomination. Why is that?

I will grant you that there are some members of the GOP Establishment who are policy focused and who want conservative policies enacted. They, of course, want to win the election.

But, working on the assumption that most members of a political party's establishment got there because they care about their own ambition, how does an Obama presidency hurt them? I would think that for a lot of GOP governors, etc., it might actually help them to be able to run their campaigns in part as anti-Obama campaigns. Don't all of the talking heads get better ratings when the other party is in charge?

If the GOP ends up winning with a play-it-safe choice like Romney, might it actually make it harder for GOP politicians in the next few years because suddenly all of the country's problems are now the GOP's fault.

It just seems that if I am Republican Senator XXX or Governor YYY and I know that anti-Obama sentiment will keep getting my base to the polls, do I really want him to go away? Or do I want to keep raising money and winning elections by opposing him?

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 12-08-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #1096
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Wait a second where are all the dislikes coming from?

Texans.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #1097
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Old 12-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #1098
Autumn
Head Coach

over 238,000 dislikes now ... lol
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #1099
mckerney
Coordinator

At least it isn't the worst political ad to come out of Texas.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #1100
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
over 238,000 dislikes now ... lol

So close to "Friday"..

Just watch, Rick Perry will get within a couple hundred dislikes of Rebecca Black and pull the ad