Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #1051
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

LOL

Last edited by Bad-example : 10-15-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #1052
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Still don't know why they don't literally have hundreds of spears ready to go. Obviously nobody watched 300.

I was also wondering why they haven't figured out to make spears yet. Seems like it would be a perfect way to advance down a dark hall way, stabbing anything that got within 6 feet of them.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #1053
Bad-example
College Starter

Yeah, they have supposedly been living off what they find in houses but somehow haven't realized the value of ordinary garden tools. Rakes, hoes, shovels etc. Zombieland this ain't.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #1054
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
LOL

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #1055
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I was also wondering why they haven't figured out to make spears yet. Seems like it would be a perfect way to advance down a dark hall way, stabbing anything that got within 6 feet of them.

Problem there is likely disengagement.

Nothing says "oh shit, I'm zombie food" quite like having a long stick get stuck in a walker. While you're trying to wrench it loose from his eye socket, his buddies turn you into a full meal deal.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #1056
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, they have supposedly been living off what they find in houses but somehow haven't realized the value of ordinary garden tools. Rakes, hoes, shovels etc. Zombieland this ain't.

Glen was sporting a hoe.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #1057
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

When the group went into the yard to clear it out "hand-to-hand" they seemed to do so pretty efficiently with what they had.

Glen seemed to have some sort of spear-type thing. I am not sure where you'd really be able to find spears. Making wooden spears doesn't sound like that great a plan. I'd question the durability and their ability to keep a point.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #1058
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Glen was sporting a hoe.

That's not really fair is it? I mean, I think Maggie really cares about him.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #1059
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not really much breaking news or dazzling insight in this article from the AJC but I thought it was kind of interesting/fun that IronE Singleton (T-Dog) held a viewing party at his house in the Atlanta exurbs last night. Merle was there, as was Jesse James Dupree (from Jackyl) and CNN's Holly Firfer. Pics & stuff at
‘The Walking Dead’ recap, season 3, episode 1 | Radio & TV Talk
Old 10-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #1060
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That's not really fair is it? I mean, I think Maggie really cares about him.

No really he had a hoe, it had a round head.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #1061
DanGarion
Coordinator

Here is a full basically scene by scene recap for those that want something to read.

Walking Dead TV Show - Seed - Walking Dead Recaps, Walking Dead Reviews, Walking Dead Episodes | TWoP
Old 10-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #1062
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Graphic Novel spoiler for those who haven't read and plan to.

Spoiler

After the cannibals that are in the game I am really not looking forward to seeing them in the show too.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #1063
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I stopped watching early in Season 2 after the Z's suddenly and unexpectedly started sprinting short distances.

Is this still happening with any regularity?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #1064
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

It's so funny that with every episode, everyone moves more and more toward talking like Boomhauer

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 10-15-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #1065
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I stopped watching early in Season 2 after the Z's suddenly and unexpectedly started sprinting short distances.

Hrmm... Nope. Though I cant' say I really recall that ever happening, so ymmv.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #1066
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Woooo Shane died! It is about time. So with Dale AND Shane gone, we no longer have to keep hearing Shane's mumbled angst and Dale's google-eyed rebuttals.

No wonder the show is now better. Altho Rick and Laurie still probably need to go away

That last shot was kinda sweet. With Carl's gunshot attracting ALL the walkers, seeing them in the distance walking toward them very nice. This show needs more cinematography like that and like the first season to get back to greatness.

So interesting. Merely dying turns you into a zombie, presumably because of the "virus" that only affects dead people.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #1067
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Hrmm... Nope. Though I cant' say I really recall that ever happening, so ymmv.

I'm very old school in my Z movements. If they aren't shuffling around, uncoordinated and easy as hell to just "walk briskly" past them, then I can't enjoy the scene. Season 1 was true to this, but not so much in Season 2. As far as Z's go, they must be moving at a pace so that at no point both feet are off of the ground.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #1068
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

okay I couldn't wait and watched the last episode too. Ha! NOw THAT'S what I'm talking 'bout! There's the stuff!
Good episode except this show has done more to resurrect the concept of "The Red Shirt" than any show I"ve ever seen.

I KNEW Herschel's wife was gonna bite it (or I guess the other way around) because she's been comatose for 3 episodes so that they didn't have to pay her. And Jimmy only got enough lines to earn his SAG card and sustain his membership. But man Jimmy's death was just sad.
" Okay so I park here and I slowly get up and just wait for zombie's to rush in, right? That doesn't make sense. That doesn't fit my character" "Jimmy, we're losing light, just get up and die."

And that "person" that saved Andrea...ha! I died laughing at that. Looked like a zombie paladin!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:38 AM   #1069
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

HA! This made me chuckle!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #1070
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
And that "person" that saved Andrea...ha! I died laughing at that. Looked like a zombie paladin!

She doesn't care how you die, only that you die.

(I can't recall another character whose arrival was more eagerly anticipated. By most accounts she's a major league badass.)
Old 10-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #1071
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
She doesn't care how you die, only that you die.

(I can't recall another character whose arrival was more eagerly anticipated. By most accounts she's a major league badass.)

I'm assuming you mean she's from the comic book? If so no need to tell anything else. Don't want to spoil it.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #1072
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm assuming you mean she's from the comic book? If so no need to tell anything else. Don't want to spoil it.

I figured that was safe enough to be non-spoiler. Just didn't want you to get on her bad side or anything
Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #1073
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I figured that was safe enough to be non-spoiler. Just didn't want you to get on her bad side or anything

I'll try not to! Wouldn't want her burlap cape fashion sense to be catching or anything either.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #1074
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Problem there is likely disengagement.

Nothing says "oh shit, I'm zombie food" quite like having a long stick get stuck in a walker. While you're trying to wrench it loose from his eye socket, his buddies turn you into a full meal deal.

I was going to quote Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide, but you pretty much just did. A weapon is only useful if it can be reused easily. Having an unwieldy two-handed weapon get stuck in a zombie can lead to a quick death.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #1075
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I was going to quote Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide, but you pretty much just did. A weapon is only useful if it can be reused easily. Having an unwieldy two-handed weapon get stuck in a zombie can lead to a quick death.

If you're on your own sure, but two lines of people with spears and riot shields up front would be able to manage.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #1076
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
If you're on your own sure, but two lines of people with spears and riot shields up front would be able to manage.

plus you have your backup machete. a spear and shield is the best combo againt dumb slow zombies. or at the least a sheild 1h wep
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #1077
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Did anyone else laugh at Lori's big speech about not hesitating to put her down if she starts to turn and becomes a danger to herself or the baby? At this point in their lives, does that really need to be said? Are they just going to try to talk her out of eating her own baby?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #1078
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
plus you have your backup machete. a spear and shield is the best combo againt dumb slow zombies. or at the least a sheild 1h wep

I'm not sure a shield is worth much. You can hold off one zombie, but eventually, a zombie is just going to grab the shield. Even if you can hold one off for some length of time, you will eventually get overwhelmed by the press of multiple zombies. The only real defense is getting out of reach, and anything that makes you think you are safe while within reach is a bad idea.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #1079
mckerney
Coordinator

The body armor they were using seemed a bit odd to me, it's better than nothing but fighting walkers isn't like standard combat where you want to protect your chest and head. It doesn't matter where you take an injury when infection means that a wound on any part of the body is deadly, it seems like it'd be better to protect the extremities with arms and hands being closest to the walkers.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #1080
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I'm not sure a shield is worth much. You can hold off one zombie, but eventually, a zombie is just going to grab the shield. Even if you can hold one off for some length of time, you will eventually get overwhelmed by the press of multiple zombies. The only real defense is getting out of reach, and anything that makes you think you are safe while within reach is a bad idea.

Shield wouldn't be for much more than pushing back anything that did happen to get through so someone behind you can stab it. The purpose of two rows of spears is to keep anything from getting within reach of you. The goal would be not to let anything get close enough to have to use the shield, though if something does get that close having it is better than nothing.

Last edited by mckerney : 10-16-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #1081
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post

Never saw a walker sprint. It is a known fact in the universe of the tv show that fresher walkers are faster than older ones....
Old 10-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #1082
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

AMC, including TWD, back on Dish Network now.

Dish agreed to a $700 million dollar payment to AMC & Cablevision Systems to settle the lawsuit related to Voom Holdings.

AMC Networks: Press Releases
Old 10-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #1083
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I guess I go first tonight.

Great twists & turns tonight on TWD.

Loved the first contact with survivors unaware, time constraints made them rush that more than I would have liked but still enjoyed it. Could have totally watched a lot more of that interaction. Significant divergence from the source material (as I understand it) but it works within the context of the TV universe IMO.

Huge mindset reveal in the final scene, Rick needed very few words to speak massive volumes.

Strong episode that really delivered afaic.

One nitpick, as I consider the episode further though. Badass Carl ... but off camera? A nod to possible real life negative reaction to Carl being a methodical killer? Too unbelievable on film because of his size? I mean, theoretically he would have melee'd those two walkers, right? But no blood on Carl that I saw. Presumably gunshots would have caused some sort of "OMG, where's Carl" hysteria for the world's worst mother. What really happened there? Could he have been bullshitting about encountering any walkers, trying to impress the blonde maybe?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #1084
Radii
Head Coach

Agree on all counts w/ Jon. They did more, and better, character development in this episode than they did in hours of strained dialogue at the farm. This is Walking Dead at its best, and not just because it was an action packed episode. Loved the final scene w/ Rick and Lori, loved everything with the prisoners, too bad some of that couldn't have lasted longer but it was done really well. There's still a couple left so I know that isn't necessarily completely done, but the giant dude and the leader seemed to be the ones with the most potential to be interesting at first glance. I did *really* enjoy the final scene w/ the leader of the prison group. The only death/kill I clearly enjoyed more was Shane's.

As for Carl, I've given up on trying to figure out what they fuck they're doing with him. He gets a lot more screen time than T-Dog but I feel no more invested in what's going with Carl than I am with T-Dog despite the apparent efforts of the show to make me care about him. I feel like he's just an annoyance and a plot device to create conflict for Lori and sometimes Rick. His off screen growth has made him less annoying, but no less hollow to me. They could change that, and I'd love it if they do, but that's where I stand on him right now.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #1085
Radii
Head Coach

I can't help but wonder if Chandler Riggs age (13) has an impact on what they choose to do with him and show with him, as far as showing him aggressively killing walkers the same way they do with the adults, and bloodying him up a ton. Just a random thought /shrug.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #1086
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Was that a merle sighting in the trailer for next week?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #1087
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Was that a merle sighting in the trailer for next week?

Yup!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #1088
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The axe kill on the one prisoner was pretty f'n cool.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:12 AM   #1089
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I guess I go first tonight.

Great twists & turns tonight on TWD.

Loved the first contact with survivors unaware, time constraints made them rush that more than I would have liked but still enjoyed it. Could have totally watched a lot more of that interaction. Significant divergence from the source material (as I understand it) but it works within the context of the TV universe IMO.

Huge mindset reveal in the final scene, Rick needed very few words to speak massive volumes.

Strong episode that really delivered afaic.

One nitpick, as I consider the episode further though. Badass Carl ... but off camera? A nod to possible real life negative reaction to Carl being a methodical killer? Too unbelievable on film because of his size? I mean, theoretically he would have melee'd those two walkers, right? But no blood on Carl that I saw. Presumably gunshots would have caused some sort of "OMG, where's Carl" hysteria for the world's worst mother. What really happened there? Could he have been bullshitting about encountering any walkers, trying to impress the blonde maybe?

I agree, a very solid episode. It's really looking like they may not be pulling any punches this year. Some brutal stuff.

I am not sure what they are going to do with Carl either, but it's only been two episodes so far, so there's time. As for him killing two walkers, he did have a pistol with a silencer on it, so he could have used that, no blood or sound.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #1090
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
he did have a pistol with a silencer on it, so he could have used that, no blood or sound.

I guess I owe my own sharp-eyed child an apology. He said there was a silencer, I totally missed it & basically told him he was dreaming.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #1091
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I guess I owe my own sharp-eyed child an apology. He said there was a silencer, I totally missed it & basically told him he was dreaming.

Heh! Rick and Carl had either homemade or actual silencers in that first scene in the first episode while they were clearing out that house. Not sure if we've seen them since.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #1092
Swaggs
Coordinator

Good episode -- I think it is good that they had Herschel wake up. I had a fear that they were going to go 5-6 episodes with him out of commission, with tons of scenes/time of folks sitting bedside with him and the continual possibility that he would wake up and turn.

I like what they did with the prisoners. This shouldn't be much of a spoiler for the folks who haven't read the GNs, but having the character "Tomas" was a nice mindfuck for those who have.

I'm actually not looking forward to next week's Andrea/Michonne-centered episode. I wish they'd spend a lot more time at the prison, as there was a lot of good stuff that can happen there and I'd rather see them kill some time there (building up a sense of community and security/stability).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #1093
booradley
High School Varsity

It kind of felt like a Dungeons & Dragons episode last night. Creeping through a labyrinth with weapons drawn, in formation, testing locked doors, always looking out for bands of wandering monsters ...
Old 10-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #1094
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I don't know why I am so excited to see Merle again, but I am...
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #1095
hoopsguy
General Manager

The lighting seemed a whole lot better as they explored the prison last night
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #1096
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Good episode -- I think it is good that they had Herschel wake up. I had a fear that they were going to go 5-6 episodes with him out of commission, with tons of scenes/time of folks sitting bedside with him and the continual possibility that he would wake up and turn.

I like what they did with the prisoners. This shouldn't be much of a spoiler for the folks who haven't read the GNs, but having the character "Tomas" was a nice mindfuck for those who have.

I'm actually not looking forward to next week's Andrea/Michonne-centered episode. I wish they'd spend a lot more time at the prison, as there was a lot of good stuff that can happen there and I'd rather see them kill some time there (building up a sense of community and security/stability).

I can't wait for the Woodbury stuff. I am really curious just how they play it and how crazy they take things. There is a ton of odd stuff in the comic and so far the show hasn't shied away from much, so it could be very interesting.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #1097
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'm actually not looking forward to next week's Andrea/Michonne-centered episode. I wish they'd spend a lot more time at the prison

Ditto.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:13 AM   #1098
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Heh! Rick and Carl had either homemade or actual silencers in that first scene in the first episode while they were clearing out that house. Not sure if we've seen them since.

I know I saw Carl had a pistol with a silencer in the first episode when they were running around killing walkers in the prison yard. Still seems a bit of a lame idea, but Carl's whole character is pretty lame at this point - they seem to have have figured, well we're tired of having him be a kid, so let's grow him up as fast as we can.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:17 AM   #1099
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
It kind of felt like a Dungeons & Dragons episode last night. Creeping through a labyrinth with weapons drawn, in formation, testing locked doors, always looking out for bands of wandering monsters ...

HA! Awesome reference! Yes when you have achieved D&D quality you have made it big! I think that's why I liked the first season so much. At its best it made me feel like I was playing an old SIlent Hill game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
I don't know why I am so excited to see Merle again, but I am...

He said at one of the cons (comicon?) that he was returning for season 3. HE's been in like what? 1 ep of season 2 and even then he wasn't really there. I am very surprised it took the writers THIS long to get back around to him. And why the hell did they leave that one guiy and his son from season 1 dangling? Maybe it was the unknown factor but they didn't even mention it once they hit the farm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
The lighting seemed a whole lot better as they explored the prison last night

Man, I can't wait to see these eps! Need to find a rerun and a friend with cable badly!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #1100
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
And why the hell did they leave that one guiy and his son from season 1 dangling? Maybe it was the unknown factor but they didn't even mention it once they hit the farm.

Lot else on his mind I suppose, with the whole his son getting shot thing I had hoped they would re-surface at some point, but it's unlikely now (and this is me not having read the comics).
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote