Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #1051
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
However, one interesting thing is the same plane that flew Rich Rodriguez to Michigan for his first meeting in the state (not the meeting in Toledo) also made two flights to Michigan in the week leading up to the Pittsbugh game. Let it be noted that there are no scheduled direct flights from Morgantown to Michigan.

This one has been debunked by Mitch Vingle of the Charleston Gazette. The plane is partially owned by Wilcox financial, which is RR's financial advisor. The President, Michael Wilcox, was an official guest of the university at both the Louisville and Pitt games, which is why that plane flew into Morgantown those weeks.

Last edited by timmynausea : 12-21-2007 at 02:56 PM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:11 PM   #1052
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
This one has been debunked by Mitch Vingle of the Charleston Gazette. The plane is partially owned by Wilcox financial, which is RR's financial advisor. The President, Michael Wilcox, was an official guest of the university at both the Louisville and Pitt games, which is why that plane flew into Morgantown those weeks.

I saw the article on that and hadn't heard an update on it. As you've probably seen, getting good info is pretty damned hard right now. This actually seemed reliable since it made print and had multiple sources. Goes to show that everyone in the Morgantown area right now has a source and they're all saying different things.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:20 AM   #1053
MrBug708
Head Coach

No on Bellotti. *sigh*

Just hire Walker and be done with it
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:47 PM   #1054
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
No on Bellotti. *sigh*

Just hire Walker and be done with it

And hire another guy with no head coach experience? And no offensive pedigree? No thanks.

Best world is get a good offensive mind at head coach and keep Walker at DC.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:30 PM   #1055
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The drama at UCLA continues, and it's fascinating to watch given the connections to the UW.

Al Golden pulls his name out of the ring, seemingly leaving just Rick Neuheisel and DeWayne Walker. Walker had his 2nd interview and it reportedly went very well. Still, there seems to be some divide amongst the Bruin fan base over Walker, and Neuheisel has significant support among many Bruins boosters.

Neuheisel would want to keep Walker, but Walker reportedly is open to leaving should he not get the head coaching job at UCLA. He's also reportedly talked with Ty Willingham about the open defensive coordinator position at the UW, and the Huskies have supposedly offered a 2-year deal for more money than he's currently getting at UCLA ($360K). The scuttlebutt is that Walker thinks the UW would be a better situation since with Willingham on a very hot seat next year, he'd potentially be in a good position to move up to the head coaching spot at the UW (assuming he doesn't get hired as the Bruins head coach now).

Tom Cable is reportedly a 2nd tier candidate that could be added to the Bruins head coaching search mix depending on how things shake out.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #1056
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Mack Brown is going to replace Duane Akina (fuck you forever, Duane) as DC, and rumor has it that Walker is on the shortlist. Sounds like if UCLA wants to keep him, they have to hire him as the head guy.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:37 PM   #1057
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
The drama at UCLA continues, and it's fascinating to watch given the connections to the UW.

Al Golden pulls his name out of the ring, seemingly leaving just Rick Neuheisel and DeWayne Walker. Walker had his 2nd interview and it reportedly went very well. Still, there seems to be some divide amongst the Bruin fan base over Walker, and Neuheisel has significant support among many Bruins boosters.

Neuheisel would want to keep Walker, but Walker reportedly is open to leaving should he not get the head coaching job at UCLA. He's also reportedly talked with Ty Willingham about the open defensive coordinator position at the UW, and the Huskies have supposedly offered a 2-year deal for more money than he's currently getting at UCLA ($360K). The scuttlebutt is that Walker thinks the UW would be a better situation since with Willingham on a very hot seat next year, he'd potentially be in a good position to move up to the head coaching spot at the UW (assuming he doesn't get hired as the Bruins head coach now).

Tom Cable is reportedly a 2nd tier candidate that could be added to the Bruins head coaching search mix depending on how things shake out.

I have heard this, too, but there's another side to the coin.

And that's that with Ty on such a hot seat, Walker might instead get swept out with Ty when he gets fired, which would be a much worse situation for him than staying at UCLA, where he has players who knows his system and a strong class coming in. My guess is UCLA will finally go with Neuheisel, and give Walker a healthy raise and a assistant head coach promotion or something along those lines.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #1058
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
Mack Brown is going to replace Duane Akina (fuck you forever, Duane) as DC, and rumor has it that Walker is on the shortlist. Sounds like if UCLA wants to keep him, they have to hire him as the head guy.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing that has me most worried. I have seen the Texas rumor and Miami as well. I think we have enough going for the program to give Walker a raise and keep him away from UDub, but if an elite program like Texas wants him, or a school with the cache of Miami pays up with the kind of cash they can both bring, I don't see him staying as anything but head coach.

And my issue then is, who runs the offense? My primary issue with choosing Walker is that our offense sucks ass (thank you for the freakin' WCO, Dorrell), and his hire doesn't address that at all.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #1059
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm hearing Walker to Miami or U-Dub if he doesn't get the head coaching job. I hadn't heard Texas, but if that offer comes in then I think he is definitely gone.

If the search was over quickly and UCLA got "their guy" then that is one thing, but the way that people are dropping out and they are still dragging their feet must be a complete kick in the teeth for Walker. Couldn't make it much more obvious that they don't want him to become the head coach.

If he goes, it's really the end of the line for UCLA in terms of being competitive over the next 4-5 years IMO. With the recruiting class they were bringing in, they could have been good pretty soon, but if Walker leaves (and Eric Scott will go as well) all those recruits are walking. Dennis Erickson is licking his chops as we speak...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:07 PM   #1060
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I'm hearing Walker to Miami or U-Dub if he doesn't get the head coaching job. I hadn't heard Texas, but if that offer comes in then I think he is definitely gone.

If the search was over quickly and UCLA got "their guy" then that is one thing, but the way that people are dropping out and they are still dragging their feet must be a complete kick in the teeth for Walker. Couldn't make it much more obvious that they don't want him to become the head coach.

If he goes, it's really the end of the line for UCLA in terms of being competitive over the next 4-5 years IMO. With the recruiting class they were bringing in, they could have been good pretty soon, but if Walker leaves (and Eric Scott will go as well) all those recruits are walking. Dennis Erickson is licking his chops as we speak...

Actually, Dennis Erickson might be nursing his split lip more right now.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #1061
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Well my post wasn't intended to say that Texas was going after him. Mack has a three man list right now and nobody knows who is on it. My point was more that Walker has a lot of heat on him and I doubt UCLA can keep him without giving him something huge.

Meanwhile, Texas just got royally fucked.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:56 AM   #1062
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I have heard this, too, but there's another side to the coin.

And that's that with Ty on such a hot seat, Walker might instead get swept out with Ty when he gets fired, which would be a much worse situation for him than staying at UCLA, where he has players who knows his system and a strong class coming in. My guess is UCLA will finally go with Neuheisel, and give Walker a healthy raise and a assistant head coach promotion or something along those lines.
If Ty gets fired and Walker is shown the door as well, he'd be laughing all the way to the bank because by all accounts the UW is offering a 2-year deal. And keep in mind that while Seattle is expensive, it's not as expensive as L.A. so any bump in pay the UW offers goes even farther for Walker at the UW than it would at UCLA.

I'm not saying it's any kind of slam-dunk that Walker would come to the UW should he not get the UCLA job, but I think there are valid reasons to think he might do so.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #1063
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

espn reports during wake uconn game that Neuiheisel hired at UCLA
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:11 PM   #1064
MrBug708
Head Coach

Rick Neuheisel, who quarterbacked UCLA to victory in the 1984 Rose Bowl and who compiled a record of 66-30 as a collegiate head coach, has been named his alma mater's 16th head football coach, Bruin athletic director Dan Guerrero announced today.

The energetic and personable Neuheisel returns to the collegiate ranks after spending the past three seasons in the NFL. In his eight years as a college head coach at the University of Colorado and the University of Washington, he fashioned a record of 66-30, winning at least 10 games on three occasions and finishing in the Top 10 on three occasions, and led his teams to seven bowl games. His winning percentage of .688 places him among the top 20 active coaches with at least five years in the Football Bowl Subdivision. He was also recognized as one of the nation's top recruiters during his college coaching days.

"Rick has enjoyed great success throughout his career and we believe he is the coach who can take our program to the next level," said Guerrero. "His teams at Colorado and Washington continually challenged for conference championships and national rankings and that is what we are looking to do at UCLA.

"Rick is an outstanding coach and recruiter. He is outgoing and personable and can motivate our players, fans and supporters. We believe he is well equipped to lead the program and attain the success all Bruin fans wish to achieve."

"I know there are some issues in Rick's past that concern our constituency. We have discussed those at length with Rick and have investigated those issues with the NCAA. It has been at least five years and, in some cases, more than 10 years since the incidents occurred. We believe Rick has learned from those incidents and that he is more mature and experienced in the areas of compliance."

"I am thrilled to be returning to my alma mater as its head coach," said Neuheisel. "UCLA is a special place and I want to thank Dan Guerrero and Chancellor (Gene) Block for the opportunity to come home. We are going to build a program our supporters will be proud of, both on and off the field. I can't wait to get started. I made some mistakes earlier in my career and I take responsibility for those mistakes. I have learned from that experience and I would never do anything that would reflect negatively on UCLA."

Neuheisel, 46, spent the last three seasons as an assistant coach for the NFL's Baltimore Ravens. He served as quarterbacks coach in 2005 and 2006 and in January of 2007, was promoted to offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach. With the Ravens, he worked with quarterbacks Kyle Boller, Steve McNair and, most recently, 2006 Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith.

During his four seasons (1999-2002) as head coach at the University of Washington, Neuheisel led the Huskies to a record of 33-16 (.673) and four bowl games (one Rose Bowl, two Holiday Bowls and one Sun Bowl). His Pac-10 record was 23-9 (.719) and Washington won one league title and finished second twice in those four seasons. The Husky offense averaged over 390 yards per game in each season, topped by 420.7 in 2002 (17th in the nation) and 407.9 in 2000 (35th).

In his final season, the Huskies finished 7-6 and tied for 4th in the Pac-10 while ranking fourth nationally in passing offense (346.2 yards per game) and earning a spot in the Sun Bowl.

In 2001, Washington finished 8-4 overall and second in the Pac-10 with a 6-2 mark, earning a trip to the Holiday Bowl. The Huskies faced five teams ranked in the final AP Poll that season, winning three of those games.

In 2000, Neuheisel led the Huskies to an 11-1 record, a first-place finish in the Pac-10 and a victory in the 2001 Rose Bowl. It was a year of great comebacks as Washington trailed in eight of its 11 wins and recorded five straight fourth-quarter comebacks. It marked the first time Washington had won 10 games since 1991 and the school's first Rose Bowl title since that same season.

In 1999, his first season in Seattle, Washington finished 7-5 but finished second in the Pac-10, earning a trip to the Holiday Bowl. Neuheisel became the first coach in school history to lead a Husky team to a bowl berth in his first season.

During his four seasons (1995-9 as head coach at the University of Colorado, Neuheisel won 33 of 47 games (.702) and won all three bowl appearances. In his final season, Colorado finished 8-4, including a 51-43 victory over Oregon in the Aloha Bowl, and the Buffaloes ranked 13th nationally in total defense that year. In 1997, Neuheisel suffered his only losing season as a collegiate head coach (5-6) but Colorado still led the Big 12 in passing offense (232.4).

During the 1996 season, Neuheisel recorded his second straight 10-2 season, including a 33-21 victory over Washington in the Holiday Bowl, and finished second in the Big 12 North. The Buffaloes were ranked eighth on both polls and outscored opponents 319-199 while setting a school record by winning 10 consecutive road games. That team produced three All-Americans, including Butkus Award winner LB Matt Russell, and averaged 452.1 yards of offense, including 303.5 in the air, while allowing just 315.5 yards to opponents.

Neuheisel's 20-4 record in his first two seasons were the fifth most wins at the time for a first-time head coach in the Football Bowl Subdivision (Division IA).

In his first season as a head coach (1995), Colorado finished fifth on both major polls. He guided the Buffaloes to a 10-2 record (the best ever by a first-year CU coach) and an appearance in the Cotton Bowl (a 38-6 win over Oregon), becoming the first rookie Colorado coach to take a team to a bowl game.

Neuheisel spent the 1994 season as a Colorado assistant coach under Bill McCartney after going to CU from UCLA.

Neuheisel spent six seasons (1988-93) as an assistant coach at his alma mater. During his final four years he tutored the wide receivers, helping to develop some of UCLA's all-time great receivers, such as J.J. Stokes, Kevin Jordan and Sean LaChapelle. In 1993, Stokes helped the Bruins reach the Rose Bowl while setting school records with 82 receptions, 1,181 yards (since broken) and 17 touchdowns. LaChapelle made 73 receptions in 1991 and Jordan made 45 as a sophomore in Neuheisel's last year (1993). In 1990, three Bruins - Scott Miller, Reggie Moore and LaChapelle - all made at least 35 receptions for at least 600 yards.

Neuheisel joined the UCLA staff full-time in 1988 and coached quarterbacks for two seasons, including NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman's senior year (198. Aikman earned consensus All-America honors and finished third in the Heisman Trophy race, completing a school record 228 passes (since broken) for 2,771 yards, a .644 percentage and a school record 24 touchdowns (since broken). Aikman was the No. 1 selection in the 1989 NFL Draft.

In 1986, he served as a volunteer coach and his major assignment was to teach the offense to a transfer from Oklahoma who had to sit out the 1986 season - Aikman.

The new Bruin head coach also played some professional football. In 1987, he played in three games with the San Diego Chargers and started twice. He completed 40 of 59 passes for 367 yards and one touchdown and also ran for a score. Against Tampa Bay, he completed 18 of 22 passes for 217 yards and a touchdown, setting a team record for completion percentage in a game (81.8%). He also spent two seasons (1984 and 1985) in the United States Football League (USFL), playing with the San Antonio Gunslingers. In his rookie season, he completed 211 of 385 passes (.54 for 2,544 yards and 14 touchdowns. Neuheisel began his collegiate career at UCLA (1979-83) as a walk-on, holding for place kicker John Lee, and earned the starting quarterback job during his senior season (1983). He led the Bruins to the Pac-10 title after a 0-3-1 start, earning honorable mention All-Pac-10 honors while completing 185 of 267 passes for 2,245 yards and 13 touchdowns. His completion percentage of .693 that season is still a school record. In a classic game against Washington, he completed 25 of 27 passes for a then-NCAA record .926 completion percentage in a 27-24 victory. That mark is still a UCLA record.

In his final game as a Bruin, he overcame food poisoning to lead UCLA to a 45-9 victory against Illinois in the 1984 Rose Bowl. He was named the game's MVP after throwing for 298 yards and four touchdowns. In 1998, he was inducted into the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame for his efforts.

During his career, he completed 198 of 290 passes for 2,480 yards and 15 touchdowns and his completion percentage of .683 is also a school record. Neuheisel earned his Bachelor's degree in Political Science in 1984. In 1986, while he was tutoring Aikman as a volunteer, he attended law school at USC and earned his degree in May of 1990.

Born February 7, 1961 in Madison, WI, he grew up in Tempe, AZ, attending McClintock High School. He and his wife Susan, a UCLA graduate, have three children, Jerry, Jack and Joe.

Rick Neuheisel's Head Coaching Record
Year School W L T Pct. Conf. Finish Bowl Rank (AP)
1995 Colorado 10 2 0 .833 T-2nd Cotton 5th
1996 Colorado 10 2 0 .833 2nd North Holiday 8th
1997 Colorado 5 6 0 .455 T-4th North
1998 Colorado 8 4 0 .667 4th North Aloha
1999 Washington 7 5 0 .583 T-2nd Holiday
2000 Washington 11 1 0 .917 T-1st Rose 3rd
2001 Washington 8 4 0 .667 T-2nd Holiday 19th
2002 Washington 7 6 0 .538 T-4th Sun
Eight Years 66 30 0 .688 7 Bowls 3 Top-10

Statement from UCLA Chancellor Gene Block"I'm pleased to welcome Rick Neuheisal back into the UCLA family as head coach of UCLA football. Rick is a proven talent, and the right person at the right time to lead our program to great success, both on and off the field, which is always our expectation at UCLA. Rick understands what it means to be a Bruin, and I have every confidence that he will maintain a first rate program that continues to bring pride to the entire UCLA family for years to come."

WHAT THET ARE SAYING --

Dick Vermeil, Super Bowl and Rose Bowl (UCLA) winning coach:"Rick is a great hire for UCLA. I feel that way because first, he is a Bruin and he played for and coached with one of the great coaches in Terry Donahue. I had the opportunity to broadcast a number of his games as a head coach and I respected how he handled himself. Being in the NFL for the last three years is like going to grad school and I think that will be a great asset to him as he returns to college. I am very excited about this decision."

Tom Ramsey, College Football Analyst and former UCLA record-setting quarterback:"Rick is a former successful head coach in the Pac-10 and Big 12 and he has been a Rose Bowl champion as both a player and head coach. He knows that it takes from top to bottom to be successful at UCLA, having been there as a player, assistant coach and now head coach. He is also well versed in the Pac-10, thanks to his four winning years as head coach at Washington. Rick is a dynamic individual and he will be embraced and supported by the Bruin alumni."

Terry Donahue, College Football Hall of Fame Head Coach at UCLA: "I think Rick is a great hire for UCLA. He knows the UCLA situation as well as anybody. Rick is a proven head coach with a very successful record in the Pac-10 and he will be able to compete with any team in the conference. He will do a great job in attracting some of the best football players in the country to Westwood. It's great that they have kept it in the Bruin Family. A lot of the former players and alumni will be excited about this hire."
Old 12-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #1065
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

And Walker?

Old 12-29-2007, 03:31 PM   #1066
MrBug708
Head Coach

Tracy on BRO thinks he wont stick around
Old 12-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #1067
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Well, UCLA makes a splash for sure.

This is going to be fascinating to watch. Neuheisel is a very good motivator and for the most part I thought his teams were coached pretty well on gamedays. He's a hell of a salesman, though his charm verges on oily. He obviously has the pattern of doing well his first 2 years at a school and then seeing things drop off the second 2 years.

In the cases of both Colorado and UW, he followed "old-school" head coaches, and his much more laid-back, fun atmosphere seemed to click well with his inherited players, but as more and more of his own recruits entered the program things seemed to take a downturn. In the case of UCLA, he follows his buddy Karl Dorrell (who was his OC his first year at UW and at Colorado); Dorrell doesn't strike me as an "old-school" type of coach, and he spent a lot of time coaching with and under Neuheisel, so I wonder how similar their approaches are and how much of a transition it will be for the current UCLA players.

Among the many criticisms of him:
- While a good salesman in recruiting, arguably not a great talent evaluator;
- Both Colorado and UW were perceived to have gotten "soft" as programs during his tenure;
- He has had the notable issues with pushing the envelope of compliance - has he learned to back off? Will it matter? With the NCAA screwing up their case against him a few years ago and being forced to settle with him in his lawsuit, will they be afraid to target him in the same way they did when he was at the UW?
- He also was notable for always interviewing for other jobs at the UW (Notre Dame, San Francisco among others) and reportedly contacted the UW to get into their coaching search and get out of Colorado; I have my doubts he really will want to leave UCLA, unless he thinks he can ultimately succeed in the NFL, but it wouldn't surprise me if he uses interviews as a way to try to extort more money out of UCLA;
- Given his past indiscretions, it is hard to trust him or anything he says

It will definitely be fun seeing him and Carroll sparring both on the field and in recruiting.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #1068
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
It will definitely be fun seeing him and Carroll sparring both on the field and in recruiting.

Skippy will give Pete Carroll all he can handle on the southern California blue chip recruits.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #1069
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I really like his hire for UCLA. I think it is the best hire of any team so far.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:02 PM   #1070
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

There are going to be some big time bidding wars on California prospects now. I hope USC's boosters are ready to go.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:52 AM   #1071
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

From what I've been reading, Hawaii could have a head coach opening soon.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #1072
dime
High School JV

smu was waiting on neuheisel, who was waiting on ucla. smu's second choice was june jones.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #1073
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime View Post
smu was waiting on neuheisel, who was waiting on ucla. smu's second choice was june jones.
How the heck does that make sense for Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #1074
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

Better facilities, bigger recruiting budget, and a talent rich area to recruit from. Makes sense to me.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #1075
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3176462

Quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Ron English accepted Louisville's offer to be its defensive coordinator, the same job he had at Michigan, where incoming coach Rich Rodriguez fired all of Lloyd Carr's assistants.

Very great news for Louisville, whose potent offense was done in by the horrific defense they had this year.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #1076
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
Better facilities, bigger recruiting budget, and a talent rich area to recruit from. Makes sense to me.
Maybe I don't give SMU enough credit, but they just have always seemed like a punching bag team to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #1077
MrBug708
Head Coach

SMU has some donors who think they should be a top 10 program and have an unofficial budget of over 10 million to do what it takes to make the team good in football
Old 01-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #1078
st.cronin
General Manager

SMU is a vastly better job than Hawaii, unless "living near a beach" is of high importance.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #1079
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
SMU has some donors who think they should be a top 10 program and have an unofficial budget of over 10 million to do what it takes to make the team good in football

Isn't this what got SMU in trouble in the first place?
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #1080
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe I don't give SMU enough credit, but they just have always seemed like a punching bag team to me...

Well, since '87 at any rate (the year of the "Death Penalty"). But there is still some money from boosters who were around beforehand.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 AM   #1081
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Well if you're as old as me you remember that SMU was once a power.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #1082
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:

It makes sense when UH hasn't made an offer.

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/p...WS01/801020394

Quote:
Steinberg confirmed that UH athletic director Herman Frazier has not negotiated a new contract for Jones.

"We have not had one conversation (on a new contract)," Steinberg said. "Nothing of substance. They haven't made a proposal."

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #1083
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime View Post

I'm not sure if I like that or not. The Miners owned the 'Bows the last couple of years we were in the WAC, but our defense lately has been atrocious. I suppose it would take Jones a few years to get the Ponies turned around, and in that time hopefully CMP will find a competent defensive coordinator.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #1084
MrBug708
Head Coach

CMP?
Old 01-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #1085
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
CMP?

Coach Mike Price of UTEP.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #1086
JeeberD
General Manager

Bingo

Old 01-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #1087
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oh, I never heard that said with Price
Old 01-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #1088
JeeberD
General Manager

Geez...SMU has contacted just about everyone under the sun. They've apparently gotten in touch with Mike Martz now!

Old 01-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #1089
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Apparently Neuheisel has agreed to retain DeWayne Walker's guys Todd Howard and Chuck Bullough on the UCLA staff and Walker will be staying at UCLA. Good save by UCLA and a tough near miss by the UW.

I guess the silver lining is this means it's more likely Ty won't win enough games next year to keep his job and the UW will be able to look elsewhere (Mora? Walker?)
Old 01-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #1090
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Geez...SMU has contacted just about everyone under the sun. They've apparently gotten in touch with Mike Martz now!

Yeah, apparently SMU gave June Jones a 72 hour deadline to take it or leave it. So they're scrambling.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #1091
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
SMU is a vastly better job than Hawaii, unless "living near a beach" is of high importance.

If I were a coach, I;d want to coach in a place where its like family. Places like Hawaii and Marshall. I donp;t think SMU is that kind of school, town, community or state (I could be wrong, it's just not my impression)

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:11 AM   #1092
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
If I were a coach, I;d want to coach in a place where its like family. I donp;t think SMU is that kind of...state (I could be wrong, it's just not my impression)

Gee, you might want to ask Don Haskins about that...

Old 01-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #1093
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And it seems that WVU will make Stewart the full time coach:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3178538
Old 01-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #1094
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Good for him. He deserves it.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #1095
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Good for him. He deserves it.

Really? 8-25 in 3 years at VMI = deserves?

I've seen this script before. Hire the interim coach after the team pulls together and wins a big game that actually had very little to do with coaching.

It usually doesn't end well.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #1096
SnDvls
Pro Starter

The local radio was making fun of this hire here this morning. They were saying the contract/agreement was drawn up on a napkin at the after party celebration and that Stewart hurried and made photocopies of the "contract" for proof and faxed one to his attorney. It was pretty funny stuff.

Now I don't know the guy or anything just passing on a funny story. This does seem like a rushed job offer though as it didn't appear he was even in the running for the job.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:50 AM   #1097
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Really? 8-25 in 3 years at VMI = deserves?

I've seen this script before. Hire the interim coach after the team pulls together and wins a big game that actually had very little to do with coaching.

It usually doesn't end well.

I'd rather seem him than a guy like Terry Bowden get the job. The other choice I heard was maybe Saban. So of the 3 you have a guy with a shady background, a nomad, and a guy who has been a coach there for 10 yrs, knows the system and the players.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #1098
miami_fan
Coordinator

I hope for WVU's sake this is not a Larry Coker hire.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #1099
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I'd rather seem him than a guy like Terry Bowden get the job. The other choice I heard was maybe Saban. So of the 3 you have a guy with a shady background, a nomad, and a guy who has been a coach there for 10 yrs, knows the system and the players.

He may know the system and the players, but that doesn't qualify him to be the head coach. I heard a radio interview with one of the head boosters and he was p-i-s-s-e-d off about this. Not a good move for WVU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #1100
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I hope for WVU's sake this is not a Larry Coker hire.

This is my major concern, but there is at least one big difference. Bill Stewart is a very good recruiter. Tony Gibson was officially the head recruiter for WVU under Rich Rodriquez, but a lot of people around the program give more credit to Bill Stewart.

I don't think this hire was rushed, word has been they've been locked onto someone for over a week now and hired the search firm mostly for a background check. I hadn't seen his name mentioned much before this, but the athletic department stopped most of the leaks after a messy first week or so of the search and even the guys that typically know these things had no idea how the search was going.

I can't say I'm entirely happy with the hire as I think most fans of a program always want the sexy hire, but on the other hand I'm happy to see Bill Stewart get a shot. Despite his record at VMI he was considered somewhat successful, I believe they had their best offenses in school history under him and he took over a team that hadn't won a conference game in more than 2 years. I also don't think its fair to judge a coach on his record at a military school with zero football tradition that plays in a conference with Appalachian State and Georgia Southern.

The most important things for Bill Stewart are his staff and whether or not he's too nice. Larry Coker's two major problems were he couldn't recruit well and his teams weren't disciplined, and the discipline thing is my biggest worry and why Coker initially entered my mind when Coach Stewart talk started to surface a week or so ago.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote