Brian Orapko 3 3.45%
BJ Raji 4 4.60%
Jeremy Maclin 1 1.15%
Other(specify) 6 6.90%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #1051
Swaggs
Coordinator

Mike Thomas looks like a nice value there for the Jags. I know a lot of Steelers' fans liked him after the senior bowl.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #1052
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Whoo-hoo, they talked about my team for 45 seconds!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #1053
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Real happy with the Bengals right now. All picks addressed needs with out being reaches. 3 potential starters(2 highly probable) from the top 4 picks (T, MLB, C). Very pleased. If they hit on them, awesome. If not, really can't nitpick them on their choices at all. I am a little unacustomed to this...but....Well done Mike Brown!
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #1054
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

And teams continue to pass on D.J. Moore and pick lower rated CB's instead. Why is he falling hard like this?
dubb93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #1055
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
And teams continue to pass on D.J. Moore and pick lower rated CB's instead. Why is he falling hard like this?

I know he didn't run a fast 40 (in the mid 4.5s). There must be another reason besides that though.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #1056
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Any Big Ten fans care to comment on Brian Hartline?
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #1057
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Any Big Ten fans care to comment on Brian Hartline?

Was a pain in the ass apparently. He was not happy Pryor took over at QB and pouted quite a bit. Has some talent but I was never impressed with him.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #1058
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, a lot of OSU fans were happy he decided to enter early.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #1059
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #1060
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
Any Penn State fans here? Thoughts on Butler? I remember watching him at the combine where he ran a 4.32-40 and seemed to have great hands although he is tiny. Hopefully he can return kicks/punts and work the slot. That was perhaps too much to pay to get into the 3rd but overall I like the pick. I believe that they will receive a 3rd rounder next year if Leroy Hill signs with another squad, so....

Butler was a walk-on who basically outworked a lot of scholarship athletes to make the team and start in his freshman season. Out of the deepest class of PSU receivers in a long time (ever?), Butler was the most consistent and he set the new PSU career receptions record.

He's durable and fast, but small. Derrick Williams had more natural talent but Butler always got more out of less.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #1061
Swaggs
Coordinator

I enjoyed seeing Jaws plug Pat White a little bit just now.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #1062
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sammie Lee Hill looks like a big man. 6'4, 330. Hopefully he can be a thumper in the middle of the D.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #1063
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Miami just got themselves a good value in the 3rd round. Turner will have a nice career.

I was going to ask you what you thought about him. Glad to see this.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #1064
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post

Waiting on Da Bears///
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #1065
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Heard the Pats traded Ellis Hobbs to the Eagles for 2 5th rounders this year.

Interesting move.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #1066
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Raiders just drafted Louis Murphy, another fast and big WR.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #1067
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Coverage has been worse than ever this season, in my opinion.

It is like they took the worst elements from American Idol and all the cable news shows' election coverage and applied them to the draft. Five guys at the main desk, 4 more in the studio, and then 3 more elsewhere at the draft. Pretty much ignoring the draft itself.

+1 very disapointed in ESPN's coverage this year. They need to reduce their "cast of thousands" to a "cast of ten" or so. Rotate the people on the main set to couple hour shifts they all look and sounded exhausted after being there since 11 am when coverage began. The draft moved too quickly for them to focus on the team up for the pick adequately because they had to make sure every personality got air time. And I like Chris Berman a lot, but he really struggled keeping up this year and didn't really have many insightful comments. Perhaps its time to hang'em up Chris. I'd get rid of everybody but Mel really from their "starting 5" (inlcuding Mortensen who needs to be fired). I like Todd McHale too. Herm Edwards needs to go back to coaching.

They should focus on the draft as its going on on the main network. They have all these other networks for a reason. Put the really detailed analysis on the ESPN2 or ESPN News (like they did this year).

Stop showing us players reactions to being drafted before the Commish announces-just ruins the suspense, and get rid of those damn ESPN exclusive logos. Put Tom Jackson back on the main draft set, or have him be the main guy on the alternate coverage. They've had some pretty good current players do draft analysis in the past-Corey Chavious, Jon Jansen come to mind, and they should use them more than guys who haven't played in years. Stop going to commercials with two minutes or so before a team picks.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #1068
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Oh no, Bill Cosby is back!
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #1069
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Heard the Pats traded Ellis Hobbs to the Eagles for 2 5th rounders this year.

Interesting move.

???????

just saw them talking about this on ESPN - wtf???

for 2 5th rounders???

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-26-2009 at 12:51 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #1070
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Oh no, Bill Cosby is back!

Absolutely, painfully, unfunny segment. Mercy.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #1071
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Absolutely, painfully, unfunny segment. Mercy.

That was actually a lot better than the first segment.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #1072
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

was it really for 2 5th's?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #1073
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Dola, a lot of OSU fans were happy he decided to enter early.

For sure, I can't believe he got drafted at all - let alone in the 4th round. He's undersized and slow but has good hands.

He won't be missed at OSU.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #1074
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Patriots are pretty much flipping their roster this draft.

What's with Kiper? Seems like he is upset with the lack of discussion about the actual players being drafted (what a concept) and the focus on league wide, big picture bs. He's just kind of sitting in the corner smirking while the 34 other analysts ramble on.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #1075
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I almost wonder if they are going to move to a 3-4 to be honest. Lavey seems like a 3-4 ILB.

3-4 ILB at 235 lbs?

He's gonna play weakside at that weight, that's why I don't like the pick when there was still some OL guys who have a shot to be decent.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #1076
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah they are flipping a lot. and i fear the drafting of brace is in preperation for letting wilfork walk
Old 04-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #1077
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
was it really for 2 5th's?

I think so, then the Pats turned and traded those two for a 4th and 7th rounder from Baltimore which turned into Ohrnberger.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #1078
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
+1 very disapointed in ESPN's coverage this year. They need to reduce their "cast of thousands" to a "cast of ten" or so. Rotate the people on the main set to couple hour shifts they all look and sounded exhausted after being there since 11 am when coverage began. The draft moved too quickly for them to focus on the team up for the pick adequately because they had to make sure every personality got air time. And I like Chris Berman a lot, but he really struggled keeping up this year and didn't really have many insightful comments. Perhaps its time to hang'em up Chris. I'd get rid of everybody but Mel really from their "starting 5" (inlcuding Mortensen who needs to be fired). I like Todd McHale too. Herm Edwards needs to go back to coaching.

They should focus on the draft as its going on on the main network. They have all these other networks for a reason. Put the really detailed analysis on the ESPN2 or ESPN News (like they did this year).

Stop showing us players reactions to being drafted before the Commish announces-just ruins the suspense, and get rid of those damn ESPN exclusive logos. Put Tom Jackson back on the main draft set, or have him be the main guy on the alternate coverage. They've had some pretty good current players do draft analysis in the past-Corey Chavious, Jon Jansen come to mind, and they should use them more than guys who haven't played in years. Stop going to commercials with two minutes or so before a team picks.

Agreed on almost all accounts. I think you keep Kiper and add Tommy Jackson back (he is knowledgeable, funny, credible w/ his careers as both a player and at ESPN) for sure.

I like Mort, but he wasn't at the main desk on Day 1. They need a journalist/insider type and he fits the role as well as anyone I can think of on ESPN's roster.

I'd like to see Vermeil as the coach that they use. He is an underrated commentator, is credible, and is more of a compassionate guy that can play "good cop" or bring up positive points if the critics get too tough (think Paula Abdul ). I think Jaws works pretty well here, as well. I like both of those guys, really.

And then, at host, I think Tirico is probably the best choice, but he might be too big nowadays. Berman is acceptable for a few more years, probably. Wingo just seems star struck and is trying to over do it.

I think they should dump McShay from on-air stuff. He is essentially Kiper (very) Lite. He tries to do the same thing, but he has no credibility as a journalist, player, or analysist. ESPN wants Scouts Inc. to take off and I get that, but McShay is just lame. If they want to use him to analyze and rank players, use the rankings but keep him off the air during the draft -- he is just wasting time, keeping Kiper from doing his job and looking weak while doing it.

I think you get a table with Tirico/Berman as host, Kiper, Mort (or another credible journalist/insider), Jackson, and Vermeil/Jaws and you have a pretty good anchor for the show. Keep Erin Andrews in the studio on day one to interview the draftees that showed up. Then, add a couch with Suzy Kolber and 2-3 former/current players (Chavious, Trent Green, Robert Smith, Janson) and you have a tighter, more entertaining, more informative show.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #1079
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

weirdness
Old 04-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #1080
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'd rather see McShay than Kiper. Kiper is so full of himself it's obnoxious
Old 04-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #1081
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
yeah they are flipping a lot. and i fear the drafting of brace is in preperation for letting wilfork walk

I HOPE they try as hard as possible to retain Vince, but I guess getting Brace adds some leverage to the Pats side of the negotiations and lets them rest Vince a little more.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #1082
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
What's with Kiper? Seems like he is upset with the lack of discussion about the actual players being drafted (what a concept) and the focus on league wide, big picture bs. He's just kind of sitting in the corner smirking while the 34 other analysts ramble on.

Wife (who is also a big fan of the draft over the past several years and loves Mel) and I were talking about this.

I wonder if he is just generally POed that they are splitting his time with McShay and all the inane side shit that they are doing. I'm guessing ESPN does just enough to keep him happy and keep him from going to the NFL network (also, I doubt the NFL network would let him continue to self-produce and publish his draft guides).
Old 04-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #1083
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Love to see Terrance Taylor to the Colts. He's a smaller DT but he's stout and can create some havoc. Probably won't be a star but should be very solid.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #1084
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i hope so too - if you're playing a 3-4 at a high level you've got to have a great NT and Vince is no doubt the best NT in the nfl right now
Old 04-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #1085
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I could do without Kiper forever....I think he is horrible

id also liek to see more Clayton
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #1086
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
i'd rather see McShay than Kiper. Kiper is so full of himself it's obnoxious

I can understand why you think that about Kiper, but I think he lives/eats/sleeps NFL Draft, year-round and just feels like he knows what he is talking about. He watches tons of college and NFL games and is a football junkie. He has 30-years of work to his name and has been pretty credible.

To me, McShay just seems like a no one that ESPN pulled out of nowhere, so that they could get Scouts Inc. going for themselves (and kind of undercut what Kiper does). He has no track record or real background in the game -- he just sounds like one of us up there, spouting off about things he reads on message boards and internet articles. I just don't find him credible at all.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #1087
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Love to see Terrance Taylor to the Colts. He's a smaller DT but he's stout and can create some havoc. Probably won't be a star but should be very solid.

Very happy that the Colts were able to get two DTs they like in the first four rounds of the draft.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #1088
Swaggs
Coordinator

Just saw this on a messageboard.

Puts some perspective on the star rankings from places like scout.com and rivals.

These are the HS star ratings from scout.com from 1st and 2nd rounders:
Quote:
Jason Smith - 2 stars

Aaron Curry - 2 stars

Darius Heyward-Bey - 3 stars

BJ Raji - 2 stars

Mike Crabtree - 2 stars

Brian Orakpo - 3 stars

Larry English - 2 stars

Jeremy Maclin - 3 stars

Brandon Pettigrew - 3 stars

Alex Mack - 2 stars

Peria Jerry - 3 stars

Clay Matthews - 1/2 stars

Donald Brown - 2 stars

Eric Wood - 2 stars

Kenny Britt - 3 stars

Ziggy Hood - 2 stars

2nd round

Louis Delmas - 2 stars

Pat Chung - 2 stars

James Lauranitis - 3 stars

Brian Robiske - 2 stars

Alphonso Smith - 2 stars

Ron Brace - 2 stars

Darius Butler - 1 star

Jarius Byrd - 2 star

Pat White - 2 star

Clint Sintim - 3 star

Connor Barwin - 1 star

Mike Mitchell - 1 star

Darcel McBath - 3 star

Max Unger - 2 star

Andy Levitre - 2 star

Dave Veikune - 2 star

Phil Loadholt - 3 star

Will Moore - 2 star

Fili Moala - 3 star

Paul Kruger - 2 star

Sebastian Volmer - 1 star

Sherrod Martin - 2 star

William Beatty - 1 star

Sean Smith - 2 star

Sen'Derrick Marks - 2 stars

Cody Brown - 2 stars

Richard Quinn - 3 stars
Old 04-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #1089
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Holy Shit. The Director of Player Personnel for the Jaguars went on record saying, in regards for the trade for CB Cox, that they thought he was going to be a starter and you will trade a 2nd rounder for a starting C Bany day of the week. Reporter asked him, "But if he is not a starter, then it's not worth it." Instead of the DoPP heming and hawing like everyone else, he just says, "Absolutely, if he is a backup or a role player, than that was a bad trade."

I love that he bit the bullet on that one.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #1090
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I kinda miss the days of the Don Nehlen - Bunch of guys in the NFL as opposed to the remnants of the Rich Rodrigeuz - Just a handful of guys mostly system players who don;t make the NFL.

Don Nehlen had Marc Bulger and Amos Zereoue and Anthony Becht and Solomon Page and Aaron Beasley and Jerry Porter and Mike Logan and Mike Vanderjagt and Todd Sauerbrun and John Browning and Gary Stills and if you go later Jeff Hostetler and so forth.

Anybody else think Nehlen was a better recruiter than Rodriguez? Perhaps Rod was a better coach, I'll grant him that, Nehlen was hardly a great or dynamic coach, but I think Nehlen may very well have been a better recruiter.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #1091
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Like the Packers picks today. A huge OT/OG lineman who played LT in college. Looks like a guy GB may try at RT as a mauler. Then, you get the best blocking FB in the draft in round 5.

Improving the defense on day 1 and the running game in day 2.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #1092
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I kinda miss the days of the Don Nehlen - Bunch of guys in the NFL as opposed to the remnants of the Rich Rodrigeuz - Just a handful of guys mostly system players who don;t make the NFL.

Don Nehlen had Marc Bulger and Amos Zereoue and Anthony Becht and Solomon Page and Aaron Beasley and Jerry Porter and Mike Logan and Mike Vanderjagt and Todd Sauerbrun and John Browning and Gary Stills and if you go later Jeff Hostetler and so forth.

Anybody else think Nehlen was a better recruiter than Rodriguez? Perhaps Rod was a better coach, I'll grant him that, Nehlen was hardly a great or dynamic coach, but I think Nehlen may very well have been a better recruiter.

Well, Rich Rod is putting together much better work recruiting since he got here then Lloyd did his last few years. RichRod is a tireless recruiter. Dude is always out doing something it feels like.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #1093
Arles
Grey Dog Software

BTW, anyone watching ESPN - I ask why? NFL network is actually talking about current picks and showing film. On ESPN, it's all interviews with coaches on day 1. I've just switched twice in the last hour for 5-10 minutes (during NFL network commercials) and haven't seen any analysis on current picks.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #1094
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, as far as recruiting goes, it's all system. Spread offenses are slowly starting to produce first round talents (see Jason Smith) but it's as more teams go to it. You'll see more and more of it in the future.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #1095
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

DONT GET NFL

Old 04-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #1096
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
BTW, anyone watching ESPN - I ask why

Because I know what channel it's on.

I honestly can't tell you whether NFL Network is even still available on Dish or not, nor where it is in the channel lineup if it's in my package.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #1097
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Nice pick by the Texans with TE Casey - was hoping he would fall to GB a bit later.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #1098
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Because I love that "when's it gonna be my turn?" song so much I can't get enough.

Seriously, how many people do you think get the NFL Network?
Old 04-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #1099
Arles
Grey Dog Software

good point on the availability, but ESPN's coverage has been dreadful from what little I've seen.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #1100
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Suzy Kolber is getting hotter with age. Can't blame Namath for wanting a piece of that action.