Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2017, 05:32 PM   #1101
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Dola - If Foley was still there - what are the odds Spurrier comes out of the bullpen?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #1102
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Shannon is a stand up guy who is probably the perfect person for the interim job. He was terrible as a gameday coach at Miami, although in retrospect Miami would've been better off giving him another year because: 1) Bridgewater wouldn't have switched to Louisville, 2) Golden wasn't any better.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:46 PM   #1103
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Dola - If Foley was still there - what are the odds Spurrier comes out of the bullpen?

Eh, probably about 4:1.

Moot point, but a fun'ish hypothetical to consider.

I might have set the odds lower but I'm not sure Spurrier would have wanted to deal with that dumpster fire of an offense. Why tarnish the legacy without any real gain, ya know.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:33 PM   #1104
bronconick
College Starter

Considering the AD is from Mississippi State , he'll probably back up the truck to get Dan Mullen to move to Gainesville.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:54 PM   #1105
tarcone
Coordinator

Paging Matt Campbell, paging Matt Campbell

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:17 AM   #1106
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Mayfield is right. There is no valid argument that puts Ohio St ahead of Oklahoma.

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield doesn't think Ohio State should be ranked ahead of his team
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:30 AM   #1107
tarcone
Coordinator

Wont matter after Saturday.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:35 AM   #1108
Butter
Coordinator

Ohio State will crush Iowa. Mark it down. And you can go back to badmouthing Ferentz or whatever it is you do.

And Mayfield should worry about winning games. That's what they've had the problem with. If they win the rest of their games and get left out, then they'll have an argument. I don't think a whole lot of people think that'll happen though.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:40 AM   #1109
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Mayfield is right. There is no valid argument that puts Ohio St ahead of Oklahoma.

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield doesn't think Ohio State should be ranked ahead of his team

Oklahoma has just a poor defense ranked 103 in the nation S&P+. Baker Mayfield should quit blaming the polls and blame his defense/special teams.

The valid reason is that you take more than one game into consideration when ranking a team. The entire body of work is what they are to go off. As most of us know Oklahoma is a better team than Iowa State but they werent for one game this season. As Oklahoma under performed one week you can say Ohio State did as well.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-31-2017 at 06:47 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:18 AM   #1110
HerRealName
College Prospect

I agree with Mayfield but it is totally irrelevant. If both teams win out both will likely be in the playoffs. Notre Dame is the only x factor.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:29 AM   #1111
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Ohio State will crush Iowa. Mark it down. And you can go back to badmouthing Ferentz or whatever it is you do.

And Mayfield should worry about winning games. That's what they've had the problem with. If they win the rest of their games and get left out, then they'll have an argument. I don't think a whole lot of people think that'll happen though.

Mayfield won a game by 15 in the Horseshoe. OSU did nothing but beat a team that hadn't played anyone all year long.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:31 AM   #1112
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Oklahoma has just a poor defense ranked 103 in the nation S&P+. Baker Mayfield should quit blaming the polls and blame his defense/special teams.

The valid reason is that you take more than one game into consideration when ranking a team. The entire body of work is what they are to go off. As most of us know Oklahoma is a better team than Iowa State but they werent for one game this season. As Oklahoma under performed one week you can say Ohio State did as well.

Bullshit. Literally every word of that. Oklahoma's only loss is to what is a surprisingly good Iowa State team that has been unbeatable since changing QBs. They beat OSU, in Columbus, by 15. That's what matters and ranking OSU higher is sheer idiocy.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:41 AM   #1113
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Mayfield won a game by 15 in the Horseshoe. OSU did nothing but beat a team that hadn't played anyone all year long.

Of all the hot take posters on this board, you're the hottest taekiest.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:50 AM   #1114
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

I don't think it's anything more than an incessant hatred of the B1G, for some reason.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:13 AM   #1115
Butter
Coordinator

No, his soccer hot takes are pretty scorching too.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:26 AM   #1116
MrBug708
Head Coach

He also hates the west coast.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:19 AM   #1117
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
GT will be a 5-7 point favorite at UVA. Va Tech at home is probably the closest thing to a pick em match up of any that are left. Weirdly, GT is 6-0 ATS so far.

GT -10 against UVA. I was way off.

And it's the first week I wouldn't take GT vs. the spread.

Last edited by digamma : 10-31-2017 at 09:27 AM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:30 AM   #1118
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

The numbers confirm: QUITE hot.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:54 AM   #1119
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
He also hates the west coast.

Loves the Big 12 and Washington DC sports though.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:58 AM   #1120
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

At least his hot takes are well diversified from all sorts of different topics.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:40 AM   #1121
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollmt View Post
But somehow, people WILL do just that and scoff and make excuses.

man, not even 3 full days from a great OSU win and you dismiss it.

by the way, the #1 (at worst new #2 team in tonight's bcs poll) alabama actually has played nobody, so how good are they? barring any math mistakes, the combined record of who they have played is 30-35. psu has at least played some ranked teams (#19 michigan at the time, and osu) and they have an opponents combined record of 39-26.

if oklahoma does actually win out, that only HELPS osu. bama/georgia from the sec, ND if they win out, oklahoma if they win out and then you decide between osu and clemson (assuming both win out). i think osu would get that nod. before the 'clemson is defending champ, they deserve a shot to defend' argument comes rolling in...no. no they dont. osu was defending champ and was ranked #1/#2 until 1 loss to MSU and didnt get a chance to defend.

still plenty of games to play.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:54 AM   #1122
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

still plenty of games to play.

This.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:54 AM   #1123
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Iowa State, after switching QBs, is 4-0 with more top 10 wins than OSU has. One of those top 10 wins is an Oklahoma team that beat OSU by 15 in their own building. Somehow that means that OSU, despite the B1G not being very good this year, should be ranked higher than Oklahoma according to some of you.

Just stop. Either wins matter or they don't.

The B1G isn't as good as the preseason rankings said they were. It's clearly behind the SEC and Big 12 at least. I'd put it behind the ACC as well. There isn't a legit top 4 contender in the conference.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #1124
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Yep, getting boring now.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:06 AM   #1125
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Iowa State, after switching QBs, is 4-0 with more top 10 wins than OSU has. One of those top 10 wins is an Oklahoma team that beat OSU by 15 in their own building. Somehow that means that OSU, despite the B1G not being very good this year, should be ranked higher than Oklahoma according to some of you.

Just stop. Either wins matter or they don't.

The B1G isn't as good as the preseason rankings said they were. It's clearly behind the SEC and Big 12 at least. I'd put it behind the ACC as well. There isn't a legit top 4 contender in the conference.

OSU beat #2 at the time PSU. Like you said, either wins matter or they do not. Unfortunately, losses matter too. Iowa st. (regardless of their QB switch, lost to Texas and Iowa). I'm not dismissing OSU's loss like you are dismissing their win.

Who is at fault for the preseason rankings?

Your entire argument seems based on this 15 point loss in game 2 of the season. OSU beat Oklahoma last season by 21 and I nor JT Barrett beat off to it all season long like you and Mayfield seem to.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:28 AM   #1126
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who is at fault for the preseason rankings?

I'm not even sure how relevant those end up being to the committee.

By the time they start voting & ranking, we've got a good bit of eyeball test to work with.

I believe we fans are considerably more caught up in the "2-0 vs Top 25 Teams" (regardless of when the opponent was ranked). than the committee is. I believe they discount wins over frauds (Tennessee was ranked at one point for God's sake) better than we do out here in the peanut gallery.

This week, 37 teams received at least one vote in the coaches poll. In the preseason poll there were 61. The weeding out process tends to take care of itself.

Hell, the hardest thing with ranking 25 teams at this point of the season is finding 25 that you don't feel queasy about describing as a "ranked team". More of them ARE "rank" than are deserving of BEING "ranked" at this point.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:28 AM   #1127
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
decide between osu and clemson (assuming both win out). i think osu would get that nod. before the 'clemson is defending champ, they deserve a shot to defend' argument comes rolling in...no. no they dont. osu was defending champ and was ranked #1/#2 until 1 loss to MSU and didnt get a chance to defend.

PUTS ON HOMER HAT

It isnt about deserves as defending champ
Its about wins AT Louisville, AT VT, against Auburn, against GT, AT NCSU, a possibly ranked SC, and likely a highly ranked Miami.

You can certainly argue Clemson's loss is worse than Ohio State's. No argument here. It can be discounted because road game, mid week, and starting QB knocked out of game...we've seen similar logic from the CFP committee before - right or wrong. But I think Clemson would have a decided advantage in number of quality wins. Though, at least right now, OSU might have the single best quality win against #2 PSU.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:37 AM   #1128
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Though, at least right now, OSU might have the single best quality win against #2 PSU.

This exact thought crossed my mind in the past half hour or so.
Right now, that seems like the best win for anyone all season thus far.

(Much as it gags me to say it, I think ND probably has the "best loss" of anyone so far)
Old 10-31-2017, 11:47 AM   #1129
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
PUTS ON HOMER HAT

Its about wins AT Louisville, AT VT, against Auburn, against GT, AT NCSU, a possibly ranked SC, and likely a highly ranked Miami.

You can certainly argue Clemson's loss is worse than Ohio State's. No argument here. It can be discounted because road game, mid week, and starting QB knocked out of game...we've seen similar logic from the CFP committee before - right or wrong. But I think Clemson would have a decided advantage in number of quality wins. Though, at least right now, OSU might have the single best quality win against #2 PSU.

nah, man, i appreciate your homer hat and i wear mine
you at least dont bash a team or conference and come with good discussions.

they do have good wins against auburn and v.tech. the lousiville and g.tech wins are meh wins though. need to be honest on that. road wins or not. and they will likely beat miami and that will be a good win.

osu will have a a 'good' loss against oklahoma and a good win against psu and if all goes well a meh win against msu and michigan and then likely a good win (on paper anyway) against wisconsin.

i think the schedules will even out. clemson was a bit more loaded to start the season, osu is a bit more loaded to end it. i agree with you and think the issue will the the loss that each team could possibly have. osu losing to a possible 1 loss playoff oklahoma team vs clemson losing to....syracuse, regardless of the excuses.

and my deserves comment wasnt directed at anyone particular but just in general, because i've already heard it mentioned on other boards and 'analysts'.

Last edited by hollmt : 10-31-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:48 AM   #1130
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
PUTS ON HOMER HAT

I'm glad the homer hat was put on for you to call a Friday night game "midweek" and also a general toss-in for "road game" like it was a freakish, once a decade trip to Hawaii.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:02 PM   #1131
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Let me throw a subtle notion in here re: Clemson & tOSU

*scenario is still hypothetical of course, no slight to any opponents for either team intended

How much disadvantage does Clemson have with a conf. championship game win against a team they've already beaten in the regular season have compared to Ohio State beating a team they haven't played previously?
Old 10-31-2017, 12:04 PM   #1132
Butter
Coordinator

Up to this point, Clemson has the toughest schedule of any of the 8 or so teams vying for a CFP slot. I would think a 3 point road loss while losing their starting QB during the game will be mitigated a bit. I wouldn't be surprised to see Clemson down at #5 or 6, but they probably should be in.

I think it should be:

1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3/4 Notre Dame & Clemson, either order

After that, a free-for-all with a bunch of teams in there including Miami, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Penn State.

I think TCU, Washington, Oklahoma St., and Virginia Tech are a step down from being considered for the top 6.

Last edited by Butter : 10-31-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:25 PM   #1133
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Let me throw a subtle notion in here re: Clemson & tOSU

*scenario is still hypothetical of course, no slight to any opponents for either team intended

How much disadvantage does Clemson have with a conf. championship game win against a team they've already beaten in the regular season have compared to Ohio State beating a team they haven't played previously?

I assume you mean/think Clemson would play Miami, correct? If so then I don’t understand your scenario since they haven’t nor do they play in the regular season.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:43 PM   #1134
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm glad the homer hat was put on for you to call a Friday night game "midweek" and also a general toss-in for "road game" like it was a freakish, once a decade trip to Hawaii.

Shrug...about as midweek as it gets.

Thursday games get a bye the week before.
Cant physically practice on Sunday. So you get to practice Monday and Tuesday. Walk thru Wednesday and then spend 6 hours on Thursday traveling. (2 hour bus ride to Atlanta, 2 hour flight, 1 hour in airport and bus ride to hotel)

Tele-class on Friday - walk through at 3pm and then play.

I
Old 10-31-2017, 12:48 PM   #1135
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I assume you mean/think Clemson would play Miami, correct? If so then I don’t understand your scenario since they haven’t nor do they play in the regular season.

Im assuming he thinks Clemson VT rematch in the ACCCG
Old 10-31-2017, 12:49 PM   #1136
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm sorry, the scenario assumes that VaTech beats Miami (and wins out). The would give them the Coastal and pair them against (for the purpose of this scenario) a winning out Clemson from the Atlantic.

I'm sure it has come up in the past, where most conf. champs get a fresh opponent while somebody plays a repeat opponent. I was just thinking about the possible impact -- psychologically on the voters -- and how that factors/doesn't factor.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:10 PM   #1137
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think TCU, Washington, Oklahoma St., and Virginia Tech are a step down from being considered for the top 6.
Washington is getting no favors from their opponents, past and future. Rutgers probably isn't quite as bad as initially thought, but still not good. Fresno State was looking pretty good until losing to UNLV. Arizona State was looking like maybe not such a bad loss until USC disemboweled them this past weekend. Stanford may not end up being a great win (should it happen), and WSU is starting to fall apart.

Advanced metrics still like them better than the polls: S&P has them 4th, Sagarin and FPI have them 7th, FEI has them 9th. Will be interesting to see how the next few weeks shake out.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:02 PM   #1138
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Right now, I agree with Clay Travis, who is on when I drive home from work late late at night.

He has Georgia, Alabama, and Notre Dame as his clear top three right now. The fourth comes down to best actual team (Ohio State) vs best resume (Oklahoma). He seems to gravitate between those two and would like to go best team, but when it is these particular two, he is finding it difficult to put Ohio State in over Oklahoma, considering OK's strong road win over tOSU. So he has OK as his 4th and that works for me, too.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:19 PM   #1139
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Up to this point, Clemson has the toughest schedule of any of the 8 or so teams vying for a CFP slot. I would think a 3 point road loss while losing their starting QB during the game will be mitigated a bit. I wouldn't be surprised to see Clemson down at #5 or 6, but they probably should be in.

I think it should be:

1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3/4 Notre Dame & Clemson, either order

After that, a free-for-all with a bunch of teams in there including Miami, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Penn State.

Fucking called it. Suck it, Clay Travis
Old 10-31-2017, 06:19 PM   #1140
digamma
Torchbearer

If it comes down to Oklahoma and Ohio State, how is Penn State not in the discussion?
Old 10-31-2017, 06:31 PM   #1141
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If it comes down to Oklahoma and Ohio State, how is Penn State not in the discussion?

Transitive property, hehe. OK beat tOSU beat PSU.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #1142
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Right now, I agree with Clay Travis, who is on when I drive home from work late late at night.

He has Georgia, Alabama, and Notre Dame as his clear top three right now. The fourth comes down to best actual team (Ohio State) vs best resume (Oklahoma). He seems to gravitate between those two and would like to go best team, but when it is these particular two, he is finding it difficult to put Ohio State in over Oklahoma, considering OK's strong road win over tOSU. So he has OK as his 4th and that works for me, too.

I've got the same top 4, but with tOSU 3 and ND 4, cause having the best win tops having the best loss.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:33 PM   #1143
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:

For this week? Recency bias

In a hypothetical at the end of the season? Big Ten Championship and they do not play Wisconsin so less quality wins.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:31 PM   #1144
digamma
Torchbearer

Get all of that. I think my argument is more against tOSU than anything else. Saturday was a great game but they essentially won an even match-up at home.

I'm not sure it is going to matter in the end. The first couple of weeks of November usually fool us all.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:36 PM   #1145
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Too early for it to truly matter.

Miami wins out they're in. Notre Dame, ditto.
Wisconsin wins out they're in.

Winner of Georgia/Bama in. Loser of the game LIKELY in if it was 12-0 matchup. I could see Bama being left out if they lose badly..but only if there isn't a legit team to replace them.

Oklahoma in a good spot if they win out.

Everyone else waits and sees what happens with the other scenarios.

Last edited by mauchow : 10-31-2017 at 09:38 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:40 PM   #1146
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
Too early for it to truly matter.

Miami wins out they're in. Notre Dame, ditto.
Wisconsin wins out they're in.

Winner of Georgia/Bama in. Loser of the game LIKELY in if it was 12-0 matchup. I could see Bama being left out if they lose badly..but only if there isn't a legit team to replace them.

Oklahoma in a good spot if they win out.

Everyone else waits and sees what happens with the other scenarios.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:43 PM   #1147
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting how at the time of the Georgia/Notre Dame game it didnt feel like much when the reality it was a game with 2 of the 4 current playoff teams in.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:54 PM   #1148
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Bullshit. Literally every word of that. Oklahoma's only loss is to what is a surprisingly good Iowa State team that has been unbeatable since changing QBs. They beat OSU, in Columbus, by 15. That's what matters and ranking OSU higher is sheer idiocy.

Sooners gave up 41 points to 0-8 Baylor, they beat 4-4 Texas by 5, they lost and gave up 38 to Iowa State, they struggled with and gave up 35 to 4-4 Kansas St. Over the past 5 weeks they have not played like a top team at all.

Committee is suppose to pick the 4 best teams at the end of the year for the playoffs. Oklahoma is not that at the moment despite winning at Ohio St.

I kind of like the 4 they have now knowing that everything else will fall into place.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:11 PM   #1149
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Committee is suppose to pick the 4 best teams at the end of the year for the playoffs. Oklahoma is not that at the moment despite winning at Ohio St.

Not true. They pick the four teams with the best seasons, not the four actual best teams. A one loss Oklahoma team which beat a one loss Ohio State team would likely get in over the latter if the committee is sticking to that definition.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:49 PM   #1150
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The selection committee ranks the teams based on the members’ evaluation of the teams’ performance on the field, using conference championships won, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, and comparison of results against common opponents to decide among teams that are comparable.

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.co...609884945.aspx