Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-30-2007, 05:21 PM   #1101
DeToxRox
Head Coach

More from PWI.com

ESPN has an article online about the WWE suspensions, as well as the list of wrestlers that were clients of Signature Pharmacy in Orlando. ESPN is naming Shoichi Funaki, Dave Bautista (Batista), Adam Copeland (Edge), Chris Mordetsky (Masters), John Hennigan (Morrison), and Shane Helms as being clients of Signature Pharmacy. Batista, Funaki and Masters are new names to the list, while the others were included in the list published by the New York Daily News earlier today. You can read the ESPN article by clicking here.

To reiterate what was posted on the site earlier today, the list of clients at Signature is not the same as the list of WWE suspended performers, which is not known at this time.

The following article was released by the Associated Press, in which WWE spokesperson Jennifer McIntosh was contacted and would not identify the performers that violated the policy, or how they violated it.

WWE Suspends 10 Wrestlers For Policy Violations

NEW HAVEN, Conn. World Wrestling Entertainment has suspended 10 performers for violations of a policy that requires drug tests, the company said Thursday.

Stamford-based WWE says it issued suspension notices based on independent information received from investigators from the Albany County New York District Attorney’s Office.

WWE spokeswoman Jennifer McIntosh would not identify the performers or specify how they violated the policy. She referred other questions to the district attorney’s office, where a message seeking comment was left.

Under the wellness policy, which requires tests for steroids and other drugs, a wrestler faces a 30-day suspension for a first violation, a 60-day suspension for a second violation and firing for a third violation.

In June, pro wrestler Chris Benoit killed his wife and young son and hanged himself. Investigators say Benoit had a steroid and other drugs in his system at the time.

Earlier this month, WWE officials met with New York prosecutors investigating illegal steroid sales.

At the time, McIntosh confirmed the meeting but declined to comment on what was discussed.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #1102
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

It's going to be VERY interesting to see who they suspend. The fans are going to find out in the coming weeks anyway, via the missing people on the shows.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:33 PM   #1103
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
It's going to be VERY interesting to see who they suspend. The fans are going to find out in the coming weeks anyway, via the missing people on the shows.

I don't get why they wouldn't kill the speculation and just announce the guilty parties, when it's 100% obvious who's suspended since they're off TV for a month (ie. Jeff Hardy recently).

Oddly though, this will probably increase the ratings for Monday's RAW, as people tune in to see who shows up.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #1104
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't get why they wouldn't kill the speculation and just announce the guilty parties, when it's 100% obvious who's suspended since they're off TV for a month (ie. Jeff Hardy recently).

Oddly though, this will probably increase the ratings for Monday's RAW, as people tune in to see who shows up.

I think they're trying to milk this situation any way they can, because in the end it's going to hurt them anyway.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 08-30-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:40 PM   #1105
molson
General Manager

It looks like the original policy was to not make the names public, but all talent has now received notice that as of November 1st, all suspensions will be announced publically.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:16 PM   #1106
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Funaki was on roids?!?!?

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #1107
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Funaki was on roids?!?!?

If so, they owe him his money back.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:35 PM   #1108
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Simon Dean?
Old 08-30-2007, 06:43 PM   #1109
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Simon Dean?

isnt he the guy that used to come out and do the Fitness Guru bit...make fun of everyone for being fat and then in his matches hit them in the face with the protein drink mix.

basically he sucked
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:47 PM   #1110
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Mike Belluci was Super Nova in ECW
Old 08-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #1111
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Mike Belluci was Super Nova in ECW

Sigh.

Another example of a great worker given a lousy gimmick.

Nick Dinsmore needs to get rid of that retard gimmick of his.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:48 PM   #1112
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Sigh.

Another example of a great worker given a lousy gimmick.

Nick Dinsmore needs to get rid of that retard gimmick of his.

Dinsmore would have been gone from the WWE 2 years ago if they introduced him as "Nick Dinsmore, man of average charisma and above average wrestling abiltiy".

Simon Dean was amusing once he started riding around on a segway..

If you want a large, mainstream audience, you need gimmicks. For smaller workrate-based promotions, that's not as necessary. WWE and ROH are clearly looking for completely different attributes.

Last edited by molson : 08-30-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #1113
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I for one loved Simon Dean. Always made me laugh.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #1114
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Eddie Fatu (Umaga) was added to the list. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few more by the time it's done.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #1115
molson
General Manager

I still think this "list" of former clients of that pharmacy is getting overblown (not here, out there).

We already knew that everyone was taking at something (steroids, pain killers, even something more innocent) at some point - some for legitimate reasons, some not, some abused more than others. Some just while there rehabilitated from injury, some all the time.

I would bet that every single WWE wrestler has had some connection with a pharmacy at some point - it makes perfect sense that many would associate with the same place as other wrestlers, and it would be a place that gave stuff out freely, and conveniently (which is important both went you want something you're not supposed to have AND when you need it quickly, because you're in a new town every day.)

We know they did a lot of wellness testing recently (MVP's heart condition was discovered as part of that). It's safe to assume drug testing was a part of that as well - we could be seeing who failed those tests being suspended.

Last edited by molson : 08-30-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #1116
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Randy Orton, Charlie Haas, Edge, Booker T, Shane Helms, Johnny Nitro, William Regal, Ken Kennedy, Funaki, Chavo, Umaga, Batista and Santino Marella.

That's 13 names from that list that would be eligiable for suspension, but they only suspended 10 people. My guess would be Orton is safe (as always and since he's in a main program), Edge is already out with an injury so a suspension would be moot, and I think Shane Helms is also. So if they suspended everyone remaining on that list, that would be a rather impressive shake-up...
Old 08-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #1117
molson
General Manager

Orton, Edge, and Helms have also all had injuries in the last few years that would warrant a legitimate steroids prescription.

Last edited by molson : 08-30-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #1118
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dinsmore would have been gone from the WWE 2 years ago if they introduced him as "Nick Dinsmore, man of average charisma and above average wrestling abiltiy".

Simon Dean was amusing once he started riding around on a segway..

If you want a large, mainstream audience, you need gimmicks. For smaller workrate-based promotions, that's not as necessary. WWE and ROH are clearly looking for completely different attributes.

I agree about the importance of a gimmick.

However, isn't it about time Dinsmore finally got rid of his? It's no longer funny, no longer entertaining, and it's taken him nowhere.

Heck, Supernova would've been funny as Hollywood Nova again.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #1119
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Suspend Nitro and put the belt on Punk!

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #1120
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I believe Edge has come out before and addressed the issue regarding his steroid use. He openly used HGH as a legal medical treatment given to him by his doctor after surgery... IIRC from the article I read.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:06 PM   #1121
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Pretty much what I was thinking I'm afraid.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:06 PM   #1122
molson
General Manager

There's also the possibility that no one is ever taken off TV. Guys have been suspended in the past but continued to work, without pay.

The WWE got burned after 4 or 5 guys (including Lashley and Khali) got suspended before a PPV last summer, and they had to change all the booking.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:06 PM   #1123
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Orton, Edge, and Helms have also all had injuries in the last few years that would warrant a legitimate steroids prescription.

What injury did Orton have that would need roids ? (legit question)

I know both Edge and Helms have had neck injuries.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:12 PM   #1124
molson
General Manager

Quote:

However, isn't it about time Dinsmore finally got rid of his? It's no longer funny, no longer entertaining, and it's taken him nowhere.

He still seems moderately over from what I can tell from TV. Sure, the gimmick limits him to something lower than even the midcard, but it's a useful storyline prop that you can fit into any situation. (You know someone's getting a big heel push when he gets to terrorize Eugene).

The lovable, dumb babyface is a pro wrestling staple, from George Steele to the Hillbillies.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #1125
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
What injury did Orton have that would need roids ? (legit question)

I know both Edge and Helms have had neck injuries.

I had thought I had read in the past that Orton was one of the guys who had a legitimate steroids prescription for his recurring shoulder issue (he was out about 6 months a year or two ago)

But now that you call me on it, I can't say I'm 100% sure about that (or even whether that type of injury is something where steroids would be an option).
Old 08-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #1126
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:

orton had a torn shoulder ligament iirc....i dont really know if that would qualify as needing steroids for recovery.

if you are using torn ligaments and muscles as reasonings, haas and batista could also go on that list (although i think big dave may have been using a little before the injury)
Old 08-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #1127
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, now that TNA is on & the match has aired & I'm not in spoiler territory, on what planet does VKM beating Sabin/Shelley make even the remotest bit of sense? And in what amounted to a squash to boot?

I mean, we're talking about a team that has made no secret about their desire to return to the WWE going over against a team that is probably as over as anybody in Orlando at this point. And that's young. AND that is (presuambly) not actively trying to go somewhere else.

Screw the steroids, Congress needs to take the hallucinogenics away from Jarrett, Russo, and Mantell.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #1128
saldana
Pro Starter

damn molson...thats gotta be one of the best cross posts ever
Old 08-30-2007, 08:30 PM   #1129
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
damn molson...thats gotta be one of the best cross posts ever

Stalker!

(You're right though)

Last edited by molson : 08-30-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:35 PM   #1130
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Heh, I do believe my son qualifies as being a little smart for wrestling sometimes.

Me: Looks like this match to pick Angle's tag partner is going to get thirty minutes. Well, minus the commercials & intros & stuff.
Him: So about 15 minutes or less then?

Sorry, it made me LOL.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:39 PM   #1131
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

It's all well and good to say that Edge doesn't get suspended because he had a prescription. The WWE just better hope the media doesn't decide to look at before and after photos and wonder how a guy with a career-threatening neck injury comes back twice the size after run-of-the-mill medical treatment.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:47 PM   #1132
molson
General Manager

Quote:
It's all well and good to say that Edge doesn't get suspended because he had a prescription. The WWE just better hope the media doesn't decide to look at before and after photos and wonder how a guy with a career-threatening neck injury comes back twice the size after run-of-the-mill medical treatment.

He came back way too big, but that was years ago - before his latest injury, he was his skinniest he's been in his entire career.

That's partly why I doubt the list has anything to do with the suspensions.

Last edited by molson : 08-30-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #1133
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI article / PWI article
The other ten wrestlers on the list are all currently employed by WWE (although some are out injured). Remember, WWE started their Wellness Policy on February 27, 2006.

- Chavo Guerrero received somatropin, nandrolone and anastrozole from April 2005 through May 2006.

- Shane Helms received testosterone, genotropin and nandrolone from November 2003 through February 2007.

- Randy Orton received somatropin, nandrolone, stanozolol form September 2004 through February 2007.

- John Hennigan (Morrison) received somatropin, anastrozole, testosterone, stanozolol and chorionic gonadotropin from June 2006 through February 2007.

- Ken Anderson (Kennedy) received anastrozole, somatropin and testosterone from October 2006 through February 2007.

- Shoichi Funaki received somatropin in March 2006.

- Charlie Haas received anastrozole, somatropin, stanozolol, nandrolone and chorionic gonadotropin from August 2006 through January 2007.

- Edward Fatu (Umaga) received somatropin between July and December 2006.

- Darren Matthews (William Regal) received stanozolol, somatropin, genotropin and anastrozole between November 2004 and November 2006.

- Adam Copeland (Edge) received somatropin, genotropin, andstanozolol between September 2004 and February 2007.

Several seemed to only stop because the place got raided (receiving them right up til the feb raid.)
Old 08-30-2007, 09:55 PM   #1134
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestling Observer
Sports Illustrated has received information on the drugs and dates received by various WWE wrestlers, all of whom fall after the institution of the Wellness policy.

Based on these dates, the entire policy's credibility is shot in the sense there were detectable drugs purchased by talent through Internet doctors, a practice banned by the company's Wellness policy.

In addition, Ken Anderson (Mr. Kennedy) comes across like a complete fool because his last package was sent in February, one full year after he claimed to have gotten clean due to the Policy. Between October 2006 and February 2007, Anderson received Anastrozole (which is not a steroid, but used to counter affects of steroids such as development of female breast tissue), Somatropin (a Growth Hormone) and testosterone (an anabolic steroid).

Others listed in the article were:

Chris Benoit receiving Nandrolone and Anastrozole in February 2006.

Eddy Guerrero receiving Nandrolone, Testosterone and Anastrozole two weeks before his death.

Chavo Guerrero receiving many drugs, including Somatropin, Nandrolone and Anastrozole as late as May 2006.

Shane Helms receiveing testosterone, Genotropin (Growth Hormone) and Nandralone as late as February 2007.

Randy Orton receiving Somatropin, Nandrolone and Stanazolol as late as February 2007.

John Hennigan aka John Morrison getting Somatropin, Anastrozole, Testosterone, Stanazolol and HCG as late as February 2007.

Shoichi Funaki receiving Somatropin in March 2006.

Brian Adams received Nandrolone, Testosterone and Somatropin in December.

Charlie Haas received Anstrozole, Somatropin, Stanazolol, Nandrolone and HCG as late as January

Edward Fatu (Umaga) received Somatropin as late as December.

Darren Matthews (William Regal) recieved Stanozolol, Somatropin, Genotropin and Anastrozole as late as November.

Adam Copeland received Somatropin, Genotropin and Stanazolol as late as February. This must have included new evidence because government evidence on Copeland received by the Observer in May listed Copeland as not having received anything doctors were under investigation for in several years.

Sylvan Grenier received Somatropin, Nandrolone, Genotropin and Stanazolol as late as July 2006. Grenier has was fired by the company two weeks ago for unrelated reasons.

The company by the wording of its policy would be forced to suspend these wrestlers, aside from Benoit and Guerrero, because this would indicate flagrant violations of the policy after implementation.

The company suspended ten wrestlers, but this list only includes nine active wrestlers, two of whom, Helms and Copeland, are out indefinitely due to injuries.

Orton, Morrison, Matthews and Fatu were all key characters on television. Given the nature of the television as late as Tuesday, WWE could not have made the decision to suspend until Wednesday at the earliest, and most likely the decision was made this morning.
Oops.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:13 PM   #1135
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Oops.

I don't know what use HGH is to someone who loses 50 pounds of muscle in two years, I'm just saying that Edge's before and after pictures (between 2004-2006), on the surface, would appear to show the wellness policy is working. Hell, he was far bigger as a WCW jobber in the mid-90s than he is now.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:18 PM   #1136
DeToxRox
Head Coach

What sucks is the fact even if 10 of these guys go off TV, right now it'll change but I don't expect it to last obviously.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:21 PM   #1137
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Well I think the timing is the worse possible for WWE and the best for actual change since they have the congressional hearings coming up and a good chunk of their money makers have been busted. No longer can they just hide behind the fact that they have a policy when it's clearly not preventing usage.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:22 PM   #1138
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The only good news for WWE is that Cena isn't on the list (yet). Having the guy who was all over CNN defending you show up as dirty could a death knell.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:23 PM   #1139
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
Well I think the timing is the worse possible for WWE and the best for actual change since they have the congressional hearings coming up and a good chunk of their money makers have been busted. No longer can they just hide behind the fact that they have a policy when it's clearly not preventing usage.

Well, if nothing else, it alters Unforgiven.

I guess now it's Undertaker vs Mark Henry, Khali vs Rey (If Rey's name doesn't turn up anytime soon), Cena vs ...., Punk vs ....

I expect Big Daddy V to probably take on Cena and Punk will take on someone like Miz.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:24 PM   #1140
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
The only good news for WWE is that Cena isn't on the list (yet). Having the guy who was all over CNN defending you show up as dirty could a death knell.

Honestly, I shouldn't assume anything but the one guy (besides Punk) I doubt is on roids is Cena. He seems too grounded for it and he's never really changed size to the best of my knowledge. I know things aren't akways as they seem but in this case I am not sure I buy it with Cena.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:34 PM   #1141
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

John Cena eats little children!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:36 PM   #1142
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Honestly, I shouldn't assume anything but the one guy (besides Punk) I doubt is on roids is Cena. He seems too grounded for it and he's never really changed size to the best of my knowledge. I know things aren't akways as they seem but in this case I am not sure I buy it with Cena.

Cena's another guy that has shrunk a ton since reaching stardom.

Edit - The previous photo tells the story.

Last edited by molson : 08-30-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:38 PM   #1143
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

Ha touche. Unfortunatley I tuned out from WWE when Cena was debuting only turning back upon hearing Eddie was winning the title.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:40 PM   #1144
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:

Cena has the most to lose if he were to risk doing the shit that everyone around him did. He's staying on company line and is going to be a star for the next decade or so.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:40 PM   #1145
DeToxRox
Head Coach

time for colt cabana in WWE!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sxp7wMK4N8s

While it won't happen any time soon he's gonna be a star
Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 PM   #1146
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Ha touche. Unfortunatley I tuned out from WWE when Cena was debuting only turning back upon hearing Eddie was winning the title.

He never looked like that in the WWE - I think that photo is from his OVW days. And he was a bodybuilder before that.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 PM   #1147
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:

I believe that Cena was a bodybuilder before he went into wrestling.

Can anyone confirm that?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:42 PM   #1148
DeToxRox
Head Coach

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BHWpgJkr4XQ

The best character in wrestling

"This is gay, let's get out of here"

Last edited by DeToxRox : 08-30-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:44 PM   #1149
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Last Cabana video .. I promise

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yH6Z-i_sPt4
Old 08-30-2007, 10:44 PM   #1150
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
He never looked like that in the WWE - I think that photo is from his OVW days. And he was a bodybuilder before that.

doh. there you go.

I just think the pic is so damn funny. He looks like Big Poppa Pump... with a mohawk!