Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2007, 09:18 AM   #1101
Butter
Coordinator

The Great Merchant trade mission is too powerful to pass up. If you hit it right, you can get 2500+ gold just by researching one tech. That's too much of an advantage to leave on the table.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:26 AM   #1102
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Butter. The one thing to emphasize again (esp to Frog) is never, ever let your research go below 80%. In my latest game on Prince, I ran a deficit gold per turn of basically -15 to -35 the whole game but was able to keep up the research by feeding my treasury gold from conquests/razes, selling techs (probably got 3000 that way) and one Great Merchant.

thanks for the advice, well noted. As I said, for now, what's done is done for that game. I'll keep on learning. It's already amazing how much my playing style has grown since the first game I've played. And I keep seeing little things I could have done better and/or would do different in a future game.

From not always having a clue what tech to research at first, to dropping the research like I did, to being afraid to declare war (since I didn't really have a clue if my military would hold up), I'm getting a better hang of it with every turn, and having tons of fun in the process...

FM
Old 02-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #1103
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I guess I should ask, Ksyrup... is there anything specific that you feel you struggle with that is holding you back. I can't believe that you just suck... you're not beyond help!

I think my general problem is not paying enough attention to what I'm building in what cities or understanding what I should be building and why and taking advantage of those things to the greatest extent possible. It's not that I completely suck at the game - I am pretty good at warfare and I really enjoy building culture - but at the higher levels, the AI is far more efficient than me and I always seem to fall behind, then I get attacked when I'm not prepared for it.

If I had the time/inclination to study the game more to understand how I could be more effective, I'm sure I'd do better. But frankly, it's a credit to the game that I don't have to do that in order to enjoy it. I'm happy blissfully playing away at a lower level and finding challenges to winning without it seeming too easy and forcing me to play at a higher level, where I would obviously feel overwhelmed and want to quit. The game has a unique playability factor that, at least for me, works perfectly.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:36 AM   #1104
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
If I had the time/inclination to study the game more to understand how I could be more effective, I'm sure I'd do better. But frankly, it's a credit to the game that I don't have to do that in order to enjoy it. I'm happy blissfully playing away at a lower level and finding challenges to winning without it seeming too easy and forcing me to play at a higher level, where I would obviously feel overwhelmed and want to quit. The game has a unique playability factor that, at least for me, works perfectly.

that is very true. The game can be played either as an endless timesucker in which you can micro manage all of your cities, analyze over and over what is better to produce, pinpointing citizens to optimize production in your cities, or it can be played leisurely, 30 minutes at a time, little by little every evening, going forward in the tech tree, fighting a war here and there and yet have the same kind of challenge and not always feeling like giving up because if you don't eat breathe sleep Civ, you will get crushed. Great game.

FM
Old 03-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #1105
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
I am realizing that I've been guilty of that big time, especially now playing my first real game at the noble level. After kicking some major ass at the warlord level, I found myself quickly struggling with my multiple city scheme, so much so that at one point, I had my research level at 20 or 30%.

What's done is done in this game and I'm still hanging in there, 6th in both score and power out of 12 civs on a large shuffle map that turned out to be an archipelago type map. Peter from Russia was stupid enough to declare war on me while he was far, far away with only caravels as main mean of transportation through oceans. I eventually got astronomy and started bringing my troops to his island and kicked his butt a little. I'm way behind in research though and while I just got rifling, I'm afraid that if another civ comes attacking me, I'll be in big trouble. We'll see...

It is a lot of fun though. Kept me awake until almost 1am Sunday night. Wake up call was a bit rough at 5:30...

FM

Well, that archipelago turned out to be a b*tch to work with. Land came out quite arid with high water level so you can imagine that land space was at a premium and wars got to be fought on sea more than anything.

After getting way behind in techs early on, I was able to tech trade my way back in the game by exchanging some more advanced tech for usually two lower ones (to two separate civs). While this was a risky way, it turned out all right. The game ended with a time victory by Alexander. Even though I was able to build the UN, I never was able to get really close to getting the number of votes for a diplomatic victory.

I need to have more faith in the power of my army and will never, ever go to war as a favor to an ally. I got into a late war with Roosevelt (I was Mao Zedong, picked randomly) but was not geared for him, more for Brennus who was showing signs of annoyingness toward me. By geared, I had moved transports and destroyers to him, while the Americans were at the other end of the map. Got there a bit late and it took me a long while to get anything done over them...

I also was a bit stupid in that war against Peter, as I accepted a cease fire after taking over two of his cities, but these cities never were able to get there own culture and ended up being liabilities more than assets. Another lesson learned.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 03-05-2007 at 02:30 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #1106
WVUFAN
College Starter

Should I restart?

I'm running a Pitboss game, Warlords-enabled, on the CivFanatics site. We just started, and this guy posts that he wants a restart because he can't expand, and he posts this screenshot:

My first question is: Why is the living hell would he build a city there? There looks to be an out on the north part of the mountain range, so why would he settle there, with no expansion possibilities in the near future, and in the middle of a desert?

Should I restart the game, given that now he's pretty much screwed, or should I keep it going, knowing that the reason he's screwed is partially his own fault?

Last edited by WVUFAN : 03-07-2007 at 02:10 PM.
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #1107
Butter
Coordinator

How could he get out of there?

Even so, if it were a solo game I would restart immediately... but since it's a multi-player, you might have to tread a bit more carefully, as the guy may very well just drop out if you don't restart.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #1108
spleen1015
Coordinator

I don't see any way he can get out of there.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #1109
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I don't see any way he can get out of there.

but then, how did he get in there? I'm a bit confused about this. Could the game simply give him that bad starting spot?

I know nothing about pit boss games btw...

FM
Old 03-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #1110
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
but then, how did he get in there? I'm a bit confused about this. Could the game simply give him that bad starting spot?

I know nothing about pit boss games btw...

FM

Yeah, the game gave him that starting spot.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:17 PM   #1111
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Yeah, the game gave him that starting spot.

if so, then I'd say you need to restart. If there's a way out up North, then screw him...

FM
Old 03-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #1112
Butter
Coordinator

Tell him "I guess you need to research sailing, eh?"
Old 03-07-2007, 02:26 PM   #1113
WVUFAN
College Starter

Just going by the screenshot, but ...

On the very north part of that mountain range, there looks to be a way around that last mountain.

Granted, he may be on an island with a big ole' mountain in the middle of it, and hense screwed, but my question is why would he settle, TURN 1, without even trying to get out? He settled, then posted "HEY, I'M STUCK!!!" without even looking.

In a past Pitboss game, I thought I was *ahem* safely behind a mountain range, but there was enough room for me to expand. Celeval in the game went around the mountain range and killed one of my scouts, an act I will never forgive him for. My point is I didn't even try and look to see if there was a way, and paid for it.

On the other hand, it's turn 1, and easy for me to restart the game.

FrogMan, Pitboss stands for Persistant Turn-Based Server. It's like PBEM with a guaranteed turn every 24 hours, assuming your internet connect stays stable ... or your power doesn't flicker off, restarting your computer. It comes packaged with Civ4.

... stupid electric company ...

Oh, on a completely different note .. Spleen, take your turn. :-)

Old 03-07-2007, 02:27 PM   #1114
MrIllini
High School Varsity

I don't find this game to be very realistic. It would seem that in Civ IV's universe, Captain America is still alive!???? OMGWTFBBQ!?!?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #1115
spleen1015
Coordinator

I will when i get home.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:36 PM   #1116
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
Just going by the screenshot, but ...

On the very north part of that mountain range, there looks to be a way around that last mountain.

How's he going to get around that last mountain? If he gets on that hill, he can't move by using 7, 4, 8, or 1... everything else is water. He has 2 squares to walk in. He probably started on the hill, moved a square, then realized he was screwed and had to build the city. In that case, you can't blame the guy for doing what he did.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:52 PM   #1117
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
How's he going to get around that last mountain? If he gets on that hill, he can't move by using 7, 4, 8, or 1... everything else is water. He has 2 squares to walk in. He probably started on the hill, moved a square, then realized he was screwed and had to build the city. In that case, you can't blame the guy for doing what he did.

You're probably right, but I've seen mountain ranges where you can go around it. Go as north as you can, then hit 7, and sometimes you can slip around it.

Again, you're right, it's probably not possible. Even if is was, the area to the left of the mountain range looks like a frozen wasteland. :-)

I'll more than likely restart.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #1118
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

If you don't restart, he's likely to quit, and it would be pretty hard to blame him...
Old 03-07-2007, 03:40 PM   #1119
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
If you don't restart, he's likely to quit, and it would be pretty hard to blame him...

Probably true.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #1120
WVUFAN
College Starter

I'm restarting. I did have a player drop out, though, so if someone wants to give Pitboss a try and has Warlords patched to 2.08, PM me for the spot.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #1121
Passacaglia
Coordinator

doh...did you say Warlords? Never mind!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #1122
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
Celeval in the game went around the mountain range and killed one of my scouts, an act I will never forgive him for.

Muahahaha...
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:58 PM   #1123
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

I won my first game on Diety last night. I don't have the expansion pack just the regular civ 4. Took me probably near 100 tries. I got a very good starting spot and had about 20 other things go right and got to cultural victory at 1882 with two other civs getting very close to the space ship.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #1124
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflatline View Post
I won my first game on Diety last night. I don't have the expansion pack just the regular civ 4. Took me probably near 100 tries. I got a very good starting spot and had about 20 other things go right and got to cultural victory at 1882 with two other civs getting very close to the space ship.

Congrats. That is a major accomplishment. I have never achieved a victory on Diety. What type of map, and how many other civs in the game?
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:12 AM   #1125
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

I must confess that I tried out many different maps to try to limit the AI's advantage of starting out with two settlers. I ended up winning on a continents map that was temperate and high sea level with the standard number of AI's, 7. The high sea level was to reduce the amount of land available to the AI's to slow them down building the space ship as I was planning on only building 3 cities anyway. Continents kept them appart in the early going to try to reduce trade between them. I need to trade food for luxuries early and visa versa late and this let me do that. I was the Russians but I think a couple other civs would also work, perhaps even better.

Has anyone won on Diety with something other than culture? I just don't see how it would be possible. You just can't war with the AI at that level so that is out. You are constantly behind in tech so space race seems out. Diplomatic, I guess, is possible as the AI devalues Mass Media. Still, you would have to get there before the AI builds the space ship, which seems dicey at best, and then you need to get the votes which is never easy in this version. No other victory condition allows you to use your great people so effectively and allows you to be so behind in tech.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:57 AM   #1126
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I started another game of Warlords last week and I still having trouble winning at higher difficulty levels (i.e., Prince). I tried to be even more aggressive than usual and up until mid-game, I have great successes (because I got that part down cold). But as always, somewhere between Knights and Rifles, I lose it. By the time I have killed all but two civs off on the terra continent, I lose my military edge and if I go peaceful, I am so behind that those remaining civs will grow and jump way ahead of me to where I cannot catch up.

I have got to learn to play with more balanace and I believe the Beyond the Sword expansion may give me more options, or at least force me to think of differing strategies.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #1127
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Is the Warlords expansion worth getting?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:21 AM   #1128
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Is the Warlords expansion worth getting?

I would suggest you wait for the next expansion coming out this month. It will have Warlord included in it.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:19 PM   #1129
jbmagic
Pro Starter

New patches for Civ4 & warlords!
http://www.civfanatics.com/
Old 07-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #1130
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
I would suggest you wait for the next expansion coming out this month. It will have Warlord included in it.

BtS does NOT include Warlords, but is compatable.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:30 PM   #1131
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
BtS does NOT include Warlords, but is compatable.

Incorrect.

BtS includes Warlord. Just no Warlord scenarios. Everything else is there.

So no need to buy Warlord now if you have not yet. Just get Bts Expansion for Civ 4.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #1132
jbmagic
Pro Starter

dola

In Regards to Warlords

All epic game content from Warlords will be included in BTS. Scenario content will not be included.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=222075

scroll down before the system requirement.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #1133
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
Incorrect.

BtS includes Warlord. Just no Warlord scenarios. Everything else is there.

So no need to buy Warlord now if you have not yet. Just get Bts Expansion for Civ 4.

I believe that BtS does not include the Civs and leaders from Warlords either. All it includes are the core game features from Warlords. Now if you don't care about the Civs, (and probably) wonders, and scens from Warlords, go ahead.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-19-2007 at 08:36 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #1134
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
BtS does NOT include the Civs and leaders from Warlords either. All it includes are the core game features from Warlords. Now if you don't care about the Civs, wonders, and scens from Warlords, go ahead.

yes it does.

Only thing missing is scenarios from Warlord.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #1135
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That really confuses me if that's the case. No other 2nd Civ expansion included the civs and wonders from previous games, but it did include features. Otherwise, why miss out on another $20 or so from people buying the second expansion for the extra civs and wonders?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:40 PM   #1136
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. Blind squirrels still make an awful lot of racket and leave little pellets in your basement, though.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:42 PM   #1137
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
That really confuses me if that's the case. No other 2nd Civ expansion included the civs and wonders from previous games, but it did include features. Otherwise, why miss out on another $20 or so from people buying the second expansion for the extra civs and wonders?

Its true.

I read the forums there. and if you don't care for the Warlord scenarios then it makes no sense in buying Warlord expansion not. Just get BtS will all of Warlord units, wonders, leaders, civs, etc. Coming out very soon.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:48 PM   #1138
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That is quite possibly the wierdest thing I've ever read... do they just not expect to sell anymore copies of Warlords? Has any company ever done this with multiple expansion packs?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:51 PM   #1139
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
That is quite possibly the wierdest thing I've ever read... do they just not expect to sell anymore copies of Warlords? Has any company ever done this with multiple expansion packs?

They did the same with civ 3

The third expansion Conquest had the 2nd expansion Play the World in it too.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #1140
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I didn't know that... hmmm... extremely rare practice though.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #1141
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Looking at the feature list of the patch, it doesn't seem worth downloading.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #1142
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

A BtS review from Solver at Poly. Very detailed stuff... enjoy:

http://civilization4.net/3/263/
Old 07-23-2007, 07:00 PM   #1143
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
A BtS review from Solver at Poly. Very detailed stuff... enjoy:

http://civilization4.net/3/263/

Always a highlight reading Solver. Thanks for the link, Imran.

BtS is beyond belief as an expansion. Just reading through the first few chapters, I have already thought of new strategies. Maybe with this expansion, I'll finally will be able to get over the mid-game wall at higher difficulty levels.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #1144
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Reading the details about Events made me reach for a couple of kleenex. I had truly missed them since playing Civ2 and a few other 4x games. This one new feature is worth playing BtS for me.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #1145
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Just thought you'd like to know, Bucc, but I've been tagged to do the 'Civilization: Revolutions' review for Poly. Mostly because I'm the only staff member with a next-gen console .

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-23-2007 at 07:14 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #1146
twothree
College Prospect

Picked up my copy of BtS today. Looks really good. Won't get a chance to play until probably, Thursday.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:16 PM   #1147
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I just finished about the details of each of the new features and while I have thought of some new strategies, I still have these nagging questions:

Resources

I still have a problem with resources in that in each of my Civ4 games, they have not been anything to worry about (except wishing I had more of them for happiness or health). My early game strategy has always been to capture two nearest capitals and the resulting land I get seems like always have at least one of everything. I keep reading about going to war for resources and in BtS, about acquiring needed resources through new strategies (like Corportations). How do civers play where any of that is necessary??

Espionage

I read on low levels, we can see what the AI civ(s) is up to. Big whoopeedo. I know generally what their research paths are. Why do I care to know what they are researching at the moment? Same thing with seeing their demographics and city screen. The only value I see if I am to choose a specific building to destroy, but most of the time, I just go military on them anyways. Otherwise, how are civers playing where any of that become useful??

Research Rate

In many reviews, previews and AAR, I read about the specifics and nuances of a particular improvement, building or whatever. In all of my Civ4 games, my research process has been to bee-line with back-fills. I always try to manage a high research (90-100% the whole game) so by the time I see something that a new research can provide, I just wait a little while and I can get something newer and better. I usually end up skipping over 90% of the early stuff because I'll be in Renaissance before anyone else. I think it hit me that I play the game "too fast". By that, I don't mean that I rush my playtime - it still take 20-25 just to get to the mid-game because I'm busing tracking everything every turn. What I mean is that I think EVERYONE is playing on Epic speed while I have been used to the Normal speed. When I get a new tech every 5-8 turns, what does each one matter? I guess if that goes to 10-15 turns on Epic, then would I care about more things? I'll give it a try with BtS. What speed do you prefer and why?
Old 07-25-2007, 06:26 PM   #1148
Flasch186
Coordinator

BtS = underwhelmed.

I definitely feel like Warlords + some of the mods was a better, more enjoyable game. This feels rushed and incomplete. I hope for a quick couple of patches to address some of the concerns and bugs raised over at Civfanatics. hmph

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #1149
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Just thought you'd like to know, Bucc, but I've been tagged to do the 'Civilization: Revolutions' review for Poly. Mostly because I'm the only staff member with a next-gen console .

When is that scheduled to be out?

Old 07-25-2007, 07:01 PM   #1150
Calis
College Starter

Picked this up as well, but haven't got too much of a chance to get into yet though. From what I have played though I'd agree with most people that the Espionage interface is pretty crappy, and it just feels tacked on compared to the rest of the interface.

To tell you the truth the meat of what interests me in the expansion though is the more subtle changes to the gameplay, like re-doing sea trade routes, blockading, and possibly making forts actually useful.

But I haven't played vanilla Civ4 for a LONG time so there's quite a bit of new for me, I've played nothing but Fall From Heaven lately with it.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote