Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #11851
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I think college is a waste. If I had to take loans to pay for school I probably would have never gone.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #11852
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
As a fellow experienced IT professional, I tend to agree as I did complete my degree in May 2011, 20 years and 9 months after starting.

On the other hand, it truly depends on what your career choice is. If you're going to be a physician then you need the college and medical work completed, etc...

Experienced IT here, too, but I think we could probably agree that this field has a volatile job market. If you're comfortable with the position you are in now and have the opportunity to keep learning new skills, you'll land on your feet more often than not

Also, I've worked with or supervised a lot of guys without degrees, many of whom were good workers. The position they are in is as high as they can go most of the time. There are lateral steps available to them but it's more difficult to get too deep into engineering or management without a degree as that's typically the price of admission just to not get knocked off the stack.

We're not kidding ourselves, either, right? There are a lot of employers who accept "college degree" just to get in the door as proxy a slew of qualifications, rightly or wrongly. Just having the piece of paper helps in a lot of cases as, again, a lot of places use it as the first qualification of whether you even make it onto the resume pile.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #11853
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
My wife and her double major with 3.9 GPA got to do warehouse work, work collections, and do temp work for a couple of years before getting her foot in the door at a small local publishing house as entry level on the way to her current excellent job.

SI

I think that's the kind of experience many have. And many of them never get back to the publishing house because they've already invested in this new career track, or would have to take a pay cut and have kids now, etc.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #11854
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I think college is a waste. If I had to take loans to pay for school I probably would have never gone.

10-15 years from now if you live in a nice house, drive a nice car, and make 6 figures you may reconsider.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #11855
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Experienced IT here, too, but I think we could probably agree that this field has a volatile job market. If you're comfortable with the position you are in now and have the opportunity to keep learning new skills, you'll land on your feet more often than not

Also, I've worked with or supervised a lot of guys without degrees, many of whom were good workers. The position they are in is as high as they can go most of the time. There are lateral steps available to them but it's more difficult to get too deep into engineering or management without a degree as that's typically the price of admission just to not get knocked off the stack.

We're not kidding ourselves, either, right? There are a lot of employers who accept "college degree" just to get in the door as proxy a slew of qualifications, rightly or wrongly. Just having the piece of paper helps in a lot of cases as, again, a lot of places use it as the first qualification of whether you even make it onto the resume pile.

SI

You are quite correct... I was motivated to complete my degree for a number of reasons:
1. Hey, Mom! Look, I did it! -- As my mom passed last February, I was glad that she got to see my nice sheet of parchment.
2. Work reasons:
-- in the door for any future employers that I might consider.
-- Fills in a checkbox for further promotions at current company as I was topped out level-wise (from a potential salary perspective and responsibility).
3. Example for my child. Admittedly, I was in progress of completion before we found out that my wife was pregnant.
4. Get the wife off my back about it. Now we can argue about a Master's... Those IT folks, what's your views of a masters with almost 20 years of experience? Besides personal growth/goals, worth it? even remotely necessary? I don't particularly want to get into personnel management.

As someone mentioned earlier, and this is not necessarily related to going to college, but who you know or who knows you who knows, etc, ad nauseum, matters a great deal as well.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #11856
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm in SoCal for the first time, and I never realized that traffic could be this bad. 6 miles in over 45 minutes.

Also, took a wrong turn and ended up in Inglewood. Had a dude tap my window and ask for money. Not a big deal. I mean, I ride the bus and give out twinkies back home. This dude had his entire face and body tattooed and was very strong. I feel kind of bad for being scared of him. He seemed nice, even asking my wife and calling her "sweetie".

I really hope and pray that his life gets better. I can't imagine the things he could do without a Positive force aiding him.

Last edited by Schmidty : 07-26-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 AM   #11857
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I'm in SoCal for the first time, and I never realized that traffic could be this bad. 6 miles in over 45 minutes.

Also, took a wrong turn and ended up in Inglewood. Had a dude tap my window and ask for money. Not a big deal. I mean, I ride the bus and give out twinkies back home. This dude had his entire face and body tattooed and was very strong. I feel kind of bad for being scared of him. He seemed nice, even asking my wife and calling her "sweetie".

I really hope and pray that his life gets better. I can't imagine the things he could do without a Positive force aiding him.

Maybe he DID have a positive force guiding him. You are just judging.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #11858
korme
Go Reds

Schmidty is so great
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #11859
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

First Data is the worst company in the entire world.

TapTrans is the worst spec in the credit card industry.

That is all.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #11860
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Schmidty is so great

+1 for that.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #11861
bob
College Starter

Hehe... I work there. Sorry
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #11862
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
First Data is the worst company in the entire world.

TapTrans is the worst spec in the credit card industry.

That is all.

Of the processors I've had to work with (about 10 in the last 5 years), tSys is by far the worst I've had to deal with. We just do real simple stuff though, haven't ever run across TapTrans. FirstData was memorable b/c most of the contacts had less than zero technical knowledge but refused to admit it so they just threw buzzwords at us when we asked detailed questions.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #11863
RainMaker
General Manager

Just saw the documentary HBO did on the Cheshire Murders. They cannot kill those two enough times.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #11864
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Just saw the documentary HBO did on the Cheshire Murders. They cannot kill those two enough times.

I'll admit that I had to Google to make sure which case this was. Unfortunately I guessed right. I still remember the husband being on Oprah & having the misfortune of seeing that interview. I think I may have made it through 10-12 minutes before having to turn it off.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #11865
rowech
Pro Starter

When did birthdays become like this? Every kid has to have an elaborate theme party or a destination of some sort. Adults turning just random ages (not ones ending in 0) having massive parties with friends and families. I don't get it.

Last edited by rowech : 07-27-2013 at 05:51 AM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #11866
Dutch
"Dutch"

"In the Way" Guy deserves some play here at FOFC.

Guy In The Way Of Proposal Photo Becomes "In The Way Guy" Internet Meme | Happy Place
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #11867
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
10-15 years from now if you live in a nice house, drive a nice car, and make 6 figures you may reconsider.

A degree in liberal arts has no worth. I think going to law school has value, but it should not be 3 years. Maybe its just regret, but I do wish I can tell my younger self don't even bother with college; just keep coaching since its the only thing I had a passion for.

The prospect of having the life you mentioned makes me depressed because I know I'll never be able to enjoy those things as a drone. Heck, I worked at a big firm this summer and quit because I felt like a lifeless drone. I have been working at another firm since my "breakdown" in Miami, and it has been good.

What I am trying to say is college for me is a waste. I am an outsider the higher up I move up the social, and intellectual ladder. What's the point of success if it makes you miserable? So, yeah a nice house, car, and six figure salary would be nice, but I rather be happy and have a passion for what I am doing.

I would gladly coach for 40k a year and be happy then work 160k feeling like a damn drone.

Ugh. Sorry for venting/rambling.

One more year of school! Yay!

Old 07-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #11868
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am obviously not in your head Noop, but felt a lot of the same things when I was younger. Now that I am older with 2 kids I feel totally differently. I love that my kids are provided for and we can get then anything they need or want, within reason. My wife and I are both college educated with good jobs, my wife especially has a very good job. While neither of us love working for companies with 25K + employees, we love having a nice house for our family, taking vacations with them, insurance, savings, eating out on a regular basis, passes for the zoo, aquarium, Kings Island etc...

Now don't get me wrong, we don't spoil our children, but I can't imagine what it would be like just scrapping by and not having certain luxuries. Can it be done, sure, but I would rather be a "drone" in my work life and have everything my family needs and then some.

Financial struggles cause more stress than anything in a relationship. So while you may love your 40K a year job, once you have a family and it becomes difficult to provide for them on that salary, I would imagine that stress takes it toll everywhere, and you may not like that job as much.

again, just my two cents.

Last edited by Lathum : 07-27-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #11869
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
A degree in liberal arts has no worth. I think going to law school has value, but it should not be 3 years. Maybe its just regret, but I do wish I can tell my younger self don't even bother with college; just keep coaching since its the only thing I had a passion for.

The prospect of having the life you mentioned makes me depressed because I know I'll never be able to enjoy those things as a drone. Heck, I worked at a big firm this summer and quit because I felt like a lifeless drone. I have been working at another firm since my "breakdown" in Miami, and it has been good.

What I am trying to say is college for me is a waste. I am an outsider the higher up I move up the social, and intellectual ladder. What's the point of success if it makes you miserable? So, yeah a nice house, car, and six figure salary would be nice, but I rather be happy and have a passion for what I am doing.

I would gladly coach for 40k a year and be happy then work 160k feeling like a damn drone.

Ugh. Sorry for venting/rambling.

One more year of school! Yay!

Most people don't start off on top. The "rich-old-white-guy" typically busted his ass as a "drone" before getting to the top of the pyramid for a while before retiring. You can still enjoy yourself while you are on that journey upwards. Work hard, play hard. As for being a drone...well, it's not called work for nothing I guess.

@Lathum...and that's basically where I am at, nice response.

Last edited by Dutch : 07-27-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #11870
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I am obviously not in your head Noop, but felt a lot of the same things when I was younger. Now that I am older with 2 kids I feel totally differently. I love that my kids are provided for and we can get then anything they need or want, within reason. My wife and I are both college educated with good jobs, my wife especially has a very good job. While neither of us love working for companies with 25K + employees, we love having a nice house for our family, taking vacations with them, insurance, savings, eating out on a regular basis, passes for the zoo, aquarium, Kings Island etc...

Now don't get me wrong, we don't spoil our children, but I can't imagine what it would be like just scrapping by and not having certain luxuries. Can it be done, sure, but I would rather be a "drone" in my work life and have everything my family needs and then some.

Financial struggles cause more stress than anything in a relationship. So while you may love your 40K a year job, once you have a family and it becomes difficult to provide for them on that salary, I would imagine that stress takes it toll everywhere, and you may not like that job as much.

again, just my two cents.

I do not have a family, and if I did maybe that may change my opinion/feelings. Since, May I worked for this big firm and it sucked until I had enough and quit. While the pay was great I did not want to be like the other associates who work 70 hour weeks and get no credit for their work.

One of the associates told me she has well over 250k in her account but she doesn't do anything because all she wants to do is sleep. Another associate told me that I will never see a courtroom for the first five years because that is how it is.

My supervising attorney is an awesome guy, but I have seen him get chewed out for mistakes the partner made! He doesn't quit because he has a family, but he is unhappy; they all are!

Some of the other summer associates feel the same way I do, but they have all said they are sticking with in it because they love how much they're getting paid (I guess paying back loans has people willing to put up with shit).

I like law. I like the intellectual nature of it. I hate the people. I hate the constant need for prestige. The shit is meaningless. Before I left I actually argued with someone about class rankings! WTF? Why does it matter because obliviously it was good enough to get this job.

Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Most people don't start off on top. The "rich-old-white-guy" typically busted his ass as a "drone" before getting to the top of the pyramid for a while before retiring. You can still enjoy yourself while you are on that journey upwards. Work hard, play hard. As for being a drone...well, it's not called work for nothing I guess.

@Lathum...and that's basically where I am at, nice response.

I am not opposed to hard work. I just do not want to work for someone and it be a demeaning, soul sucking experience.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #11871
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Noop- I genuinely hope you find a job you love that also compensates you well enough to support yourself, or a family someday, with a nice life. You have always struck me as a bright guy and I have no doubt you'll do well in whatever you try.

That being said, many of us sacrifice happiness in one area to be happy in another. For me I would rather be unhappy at work and happy at home. I pretty much like my job, but it isn't what I want to be doing with my life. It is however a means to and end and I am very happy in every other aspect.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #11872
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Lathum my concern is not money and that is probably because unlike my classmates I will not be graduating with over 200k in debt. I will owe a grand total of 9k when I am done with law school.

I have seriously been debating whether I should own up my own practice or work for the public defenders before opening up my own practice.

Ugh. This has been such a shitty year. I understand what you're saying Lathum believe me I do. Its just for me I do not have a girlfriend or kids so all my decisions are based solely on my own motivations.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #11873
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I would rather be unhappy at work and happy at home.

If I could have both, obviously I would, for you, Noop, you are thinking about the here and now and for today, that's understandable. But from what I've seen time and time again, I think your perspective will change one day and unfortunately, now is the time to prepare for that change, not tomorrow. Just keep that in mind. Always think two or three steps ahead.

So...if you have a skill-set as a lawyer, if I were you, I would stick with that and give it 100% and then coach on the side.

Last edited by Dutch : 07-27-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #11874
molson
General Manager

Big law is a very unique lifestyle, its not your average well-paying white-collar type job. I don't think it's simply a matter of having some responsibility to become an adult and to suck it up for the money. I think most people in big law have exit strategies. A lot end up getting stuck there because of loans and because of the type of lifestyle they take on that can only be funded by big law. Others get spit out during big law's many layoffs, and have trouble landing on their feet because they didn't really gain that much real experience or skills.

But you don't need $160k to be happy or to have a family. I've seen more than one big law associate come to interview at government agencies I've worked at. It'd be a pay cut of 50% or more for most of them, but a better life.

Honestly, I don't know a lot of lawyers that would choose to work in big law if they didn't like it and were only $9k in debt. There's a lot of ground in the legal professional between $40k and $160. In fact, that's where most of us are. And you can get close to the higher end of that range without big law, it just takes longer. Somehow, I manage - I don't do any dumpster diving for food and I can afford international vacations (and I take more vacations than anyone in big law would have the time to take). And I love my job. Choosing to work for the government or a medium sized-or smaller law firm isn't quite the same as say, deciding you want to be a carnival worker to avoid life stress.

Last edited by molson : 07-27-2013 at 08:47 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #11875
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Old 07-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #11876
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
So...if you have a skill-set as a lawyer, if I were you, I would stick with that and give it 100% and then coach on the side.

This is something I have been wanting to do, but I am not sure about the logistics; just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Big law is a very unique lifestyle, its not your average well-paying white-collar type job. I don't think it's simply a matter of having some responsibility to become an adult and to suck it up for the money. I think most people in big law have exit strategies. A lot end up getting stuck there because of loans and because of the type of lifestyle they take on that can only be funded by big law. Others get spit out during big law's many layoffs, and have trouble landing on their feet because they didn't really gain that much real experience or skills.

But you don't need $160k to be happy or to have a family. I've seen more than one big law associate come to interview at government agencies I've worked at. It'd be a pay cut of 50% or more for most of them, but a better life.

Honestly, I don't know a lot of lawyers that would choose to work in big law if they didn't like it and were only $9k in debt. There's a lot of ground in the legal professional between $40k and $160. In fact, that's where most of us are. And you can get close to the higher end of that range without big law, it just takes longer. Somehow, I manage - I don't do any dumpster diving for food and I can afford international vacations (and I take more vacations than anyone in big law would have the time to take). And I love my job. Choosing to work for the government or a medium sized-or smaller law firm isn't quite the same as say, deciding you want to be a carnival worker to avoid life stress.

It was my summer associate position and it really gave me a glimpse into BigLaw. I have to say after 8 weeks there I do not want to work in BigLaw, but the problem is that I missed my chance to interview with MidSize firms in South Florida.

I initially targeted Texas, New York, Washington D.C. and Atlanta, thinking I would not be returning to Florida. I am now scrambling to build relationships since I have been here so I might get something after school. However, I have been thinking about doing Public Defenders more than working for a firm lately.

I know I will land a job somewhere but I want something that is a good fit. What do you think about clerking for a federal magistrate?
Old 07-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #11877
Izulde
Head Coach

From my reading, unless you're in the Top 14, forget about getting a job clerking for a federal magistrate.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #11878
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
From my reading, unless you're in the Top 14, forget about getting a job clerking for a federal magistrate.

Good thing I am at a T14

I already have a relationship with a federal magistrate btw. I think you mean getting a circuit judge is T14+Law Review+Top 5% of the class.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #11879
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am not opposed to hard work. I just do not want to work for someone and it be a demeaning, soul sucking experience.

Welcome to the adult experience for what is probably about 80% - 90% of the planet.

And I don't mean that to be the least bit condescending, or patronizing, or anything other than simply realistic.

I've often pointed out that, if were really lots of fun, odds are they wouldn't pay us to do it. A great deal of the jobs that exist today are there because they entail something people would rather pay someone else to do than do themselves.

If you find that magical combination of something that isn't a fair bit of misery [i]and[i] pays well then by all means I'd encourage you to ride that horse 'til it drops. But my experience is that there really aren't that many of those horses around.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #11880
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I know I will land a job somewhere but I want something that is a good fit. What do you think about clerking for a federal magistrate?

Considering you're not 100% sure what you want to jump into at this point, that's be a good move I think. It would definitely give you a leg up on federal public defender jobs (which are very tough to get these days - even more so since their budgets have been decimated by the sequester.). And firms of course, love those clerkships. It would give you a chance to get settled in a particular geographic area, build your skills, meet some people, all that. No downside.

And hopefully a clerkship and the time you have around the courthouse would help you find an area of law you're really into to go after. I hear what people are saying in this thread, but I see it a different way - law is a terrible way to make a living if you don't enjoy it. With only $9k debt, you have options. There's no reason for you to be a slave to big law, or even law if you decide you don't want this as a career.

Last edited by molson : 07-27-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #11881
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Generally agree, but in big law, there's not really room for anything else "on the side".
Old 07-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #11882
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Considering you're not 100% sure what you want to jump into at this point, that's be a good move I think. It would definitely give you a leg up on federal public defender jobs (which are very tough to get these days - even more so since their budgets have been decimated by the sequester.). And firms of course, love those clerkships. It would give you a chance to get settled in a particular geographic area, build your skills, meet some people, all that. No downside.

And hopefully a clerkship and the time you have around the courthouse would help you find an area of law you're really into to go after. I hear what people are saying in this thread, but I see it a different way - law is a terrible way to make a living if you don't enjoy it. With only $9k debt, you have options. There's no reason for you to be a slave to big law, or even law if you decide you don't want this as a career.

I love law cannot stand the people (if that make any kind of sense). I know I'd love to be in trial because that is one of the few things that I enjoyed last year. Law Review is purely for my resume and nothing else.

I am planning on volunteering at the Public Defenders in the fall, and I have a feeling I will love it. Especially if it is anything like the Miami Public Defender's office.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #11883
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

You don't want to figure out this the week before your final, but I had this feeling something was up with the scoring on my test. I just checked, and even if you get the answer right, you have to show your work for as much as the teacher wants to get full credit. I have questions that I got right, put in a couple of steps showing I know what I'm talking about, and I got 2/5 for that question. Taking Calc. II during the summer is bad enough, I would at least like full credit for problems I actually know what I'm talking about.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #11884
Izulde
Head Coach

Been having near-constant panic attacks about death all this week and it's aggravating. I know it's a function of a variety of circumstances, but logically knowing the triggers hasn't succeeded in getting rid of them.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #11885
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I feel terrible for my wife. She had been on maternity leave since the middle of April and goes back tomorrow. She isn't handling it well.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #11886
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
You don't want to figure out this the week before your final, but I had this feeling something was up with the scoring on my test. I just checked, and even if you get the answer right, you have to show your work for as much as the teacher wants to get full credit. I have questions that I got right, put in a couple of steps showing I know what I'm talking about, and I got 2/5 for that question. Taking Calc. II during the summer is bad enough, I would at least like full credit for problems I actually know what I'm talking about.

Is it really required for a college math test to say "Show your work"?

Unless you're trying to show up the instructor that the test is too easy.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #11887
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Typically you show your work in case you get it wrong to get partial credit since you can at least look like you know what you are doing. It help protects against something like getting everything right except for maybe missing on a negative symbol or something small like that. This way you could get 4/5 points. One of the problems I did I knew I had to use the Squeeze theorem. I wrote down the other function I was going to compare the original to and then put down the correct answer. I got the previously mentioned 2/5 points for it. I understand this forces the student to show they know what they are talking about, but the problem in question was painfully easy.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #11888
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
Is it really required for a college math test to say "Show your work"?

In most cases, yes.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #11889
RainMaker
General Manager

I got a notice for a certified letter today. No clue what it could be. Not sure if I should be worried or not.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #11890
bob
College Starter

Hardwood floors installed - $6500

Trip to Iceland for family of 5 - $6500

sigh....
Old 07-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #11891
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

i really wish ESPN would stop using their stupid made up QBR rating.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #11892
PilotMan
Head Coach

+1

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #11893
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Hardwood floors installed - $6500

Trip to Iceland for family of 5 - $6500

sigh....

This is why my house looks like shit.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #11894
bob
College Starter

Even better. The a-holes I'm trying to give this $6500 to suddenly are unable to acquire the wood my wife selected. Unfortunately, they have told me this AFTER I've moved all the furniture out of the first floor of my house.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #11895
lungs
Pro Rookie

A good way to tell that today is not my day is when I'm not even walking in the pen with the cows yet a small amount of manure gets projectiled 15 feet straight into my eye.

I may as well go back to bed.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #11896
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
A good way to tell that today is not my day is when I'm not even walking in the pen with the cows yet a small amount of manure gets projectiled 15 feet straight into my eye.

I may as well go back to bed.

I would make the offender my dinner.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #11897
rowech
Pro Starter

I've been making an effort this summer to listen to CDs from their full albums instead of playlists, best ofs, etc. There's a lot to be said for doing things this way. So much to be gained by hearing songs within the context of their albums, surrounding songs, etc. Not that I haven't heard them this way but too often I don't listen to them this way.

Last edited by rowech : 07-31-2013 at 09:44 AM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #11898
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I've been making an effort this summer to listen to CDs from their full albums instead of playlists, best ofs, etc. There's a lot to be said for doing things this way. So much to be gained by hearing songs within the context of their albums, surrounding songs, etc. Not that I haven't heard them this way but too often I don't listen to them this way.

Definitely. What groups/genres/eras are you working through?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #11899
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

Unfortunately the music industry seems to be moving away from the album format. There are plenty of artists now who have no concept of album architecture and how much it can add to a release. Finding an album that is good from cover to cover is such a rare thing to me these days, but it is glorious when it happens.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:53 AM   #11900
Suicane75
Coordinator

Having a major jones for Christmas right now.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote