Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2007, 05:06 PM   #1151
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) - Peter Sellers is straight up awesome. The humor in this took a bit for me to start rolling with, but admittedly, there is some good dark comedy here. It was ok, and cthomer is probably going to grill me for this, but I guess for me it just hasn't held up well over time. Maybe I need to watch it again. 6.5/10

I think you need to watch it again. When I first watched Dr. Strangelove I probably would've given it a 6/10. Although after several viewings I have raised my rating to 8.5ish.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #1152
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wrong Turn 2 - 7/10 (better than the first and much more gore) I rate this types of movies high.. love 'em

Knocked Up - 9/10 my movie tastes are different than most, I laughed non-stop throughout this movie
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:53 PM   #1153
korme
Go Reds

Just got back from a Hollywood Video Store Closeout sale.. makes me wish I went days earlier as it was pretty slim pickins BUT...

Art School Confidential... $1.99
World Trade Center... $1.99
Hollywoodland... $1.99
Disturbia... $3.75
A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints... $3.75

All in all, 5 movies for a whopping $14.34
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:57 PM   #1154
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Grindhouse: Planet Terror - 6 / 10. It was funny, original, cool, overall pretty good- but it seemed to drag on a little to long towards the end.

Mr Brooks - 8 / 10. I really enjoyed this movie, I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a smart suspense movie (At least that is how I would characterize it). I don't want to say much, because this is the type of movie that it is best to watch without knowing anything about it.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:40 PM   #1155
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

The Illusionist: 7/10

It had a cool feel to it; I liked the music (which reminded me of a fantasy game soundtrack, although I can't place which one) in particular. Edward Norton and Paul Giamatti did good work. Solid, entertaining movie.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #1156
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Movie I'm looking forward to seeing:

http://www.cinematictitanic.com/

No Mike Nelson, it seems, otherwise they're all back, mostly.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #1157
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I rented this based on yours and Corey's recommendation and have to agree...really, really good movie. 9/10
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:16 AM   #1158
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

1408 - 5/10

Expected so much more from this movie.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #1159
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

American Gangster 7.5/10. Not quite the classic I was hoping for but a good movie nonetheless
Old 11-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #1160
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
I rented this based on yours and Corey's recommendation and have to agree...really, really good movie. 9/10

YAY! Glad to hear it. This is one of those movies that I have begun recommending to everyone I know, making myself (more) insufferable, so I'm glad to hear you liked it!
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:29 AM   #1161
korme
Go Reds

I'm about to see Lars and the Real Girl... was going to go see American Gangster but just found out about this film- Ryan Gosling is the shit so he gets first dibs at the theatre.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:39 PM   #1162
korme
Go Reds

The Doors (1991) - Depressing movie about the tragic rise and fall of Jim Morrison. Excellent cast, great atmosphere to go along with the theme of the movie... the only gripes I had were that the beginning of fame/success was sped through - there was no thought process for picking the name "The Doors", he just had the name already, and "Light My Fire" and "Break On Through" were seemingly conjured up with ease and they were immediately successful. I wish it'd have been done a bit differently. Oh, and throughout the movie I kept wondering which drugs Oliver Stone was on while shooting the flick. 7/10
Old 11-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #1163
Sgran
High School Varsity

Grizzly Man 8/10 -- Documentary about a b-level actor with emotional problems who decides to live in Alaska among grizzly bears. Maybe a little longer than it should be, but certainly entertaining. The guy was a freak, but he clearly was aware of what he was doing and the risks he was taking.
Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #1164
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Fracture - 9/10

I saw this over the weekend with my dad, and truly enjoyed it. Crazy story, great acting. I like movies that have me guessing and second-guessing until the very end. The only reason it got a 9 instead of a 10 is that I actually did guess the ending/the way things went down, though I confess I didn't think that it could actually be what would happen.

I highly recommend this one.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:18 PM   #1165
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Eragon - 5/10

Not as bad a movie as everyone warned me. Clearly a LOTR rip-off, but written by a teenager....probably better than i can do now. definitely lacked an "epic" feel, but gotta put that on the director.

also, the dragon could "talk"? F that.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #1166
korme
Go Reds

Lars and the Real Girl (2007) - Ryan Gosling is the main star as a a completely shy and introverted 20-something in a small town, who isn't even comfortable around his neighbors- who happen to be his brother and sister-in-law. He is the type of person who is so bashful it seems as though he fumbles over the way to say hello, after what seems like a full minute of pause to gather his thoughts. Well this leads him to purchase a blowup doll. Only in that he has become so lonely that he develops a delusional illness in which he thinks she is real. This is only where the movie takes off, after that it is a ride with the brother (Paul Schneider, Jesse James), his wife, and eventually the rest of the small town to deal with how to help Lars gets through his delusions... There were parts of the movie where I was dying laughing. And there were parts were I felt sad for Lars. Ryan Gosling's performance was nothing short of Oscar worthy, right up there with his performance in Half-Nelson. I'm only not giving it a perfect rating because your average audience would never "get" it. 8.5/10
Old 11-06-2007, 11:46 PM   #1167
RendeR
Coordinator

I just watched WAITING...

I think I almost pissed myself when the rookie went off on everyone at the end. "That's like being the smartest kid with downes syndrome!...."

Fucking hilarious.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:07 AM   #1168
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
1408 - 5/10

Expected so much more from this movie.

ARG +11111 me too , I waitin quite a while to see it and was expecting a TON more.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:46 AM   #1169
Johnny93g
College Starter

American Gangster 8/10

I was really looking forward to this movie. It lived up to the hype. It had a old school feel. Denzel was excellent. I thought he was much better as the bad guy this time around as compared to his oscar winning role. (I film i didnt really like) It's about 180 minutes, but it flew by. It had a bit of a Departed feel to it.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:48 AM   #1170
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Fracture - 9/10

I saw this over the weekend with my dad, and truly enjoyed it. Crazy story, great acting. I like movies that have me guessing and second-guessing until the very end. The only reason it got a 9 instead of a 10 is that I actually did guess the ending/the way things went down, though I confess I didn't think that it could actually be what would happen.

I highly recommend this one.

/tk

Me and my buddy rented a movie last weekend. It was between this and 1408. Unfortunatly, we went with 1408.
TML
Old 11-07-2007, 09:18 AM   #1171
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
American Gangster 8/10

I was really looking forward to this movie. It lived up to the hype. It had a old school feel. Denzel was excellent. I thought he was much better as the bad guy this time around as compared to his oscar winning role. (I film i didnt really like) It's about 180 minutes, but it flew by. It had a bit of a Departed feel to it.

I saw it last week too and I agree that it was better than his character in Training Day and that in spite of the fact that it's hard watching Denzel play the bad guy, he does a pretty darn good job of making you believe he's that person.

It was a well done flick, no doubt. There were some parts that would've sent it to "classicville" for me, but...it'll hold up well as time goes on.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #1172
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Me and my buddy rented a movie last weekend. It was between this and 1408. Unfortunatly, we went with 1408.

Seems like we all agree about 1408.

Fracture is next up for me.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #1173
korme
Go Reds

How anyone would pick 1408 over Fracture to watch is beyond me!
Old 11-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #1174
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
How anyone would pick 1408 over Fracture to watch is beyond me!

I know, I'm embarassed by it. Terrible judgment. 1408 could have been so much better. The concept is great.
TML
Old 11-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #1175
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Gosh, if you all hate Fracture now, I'm going to feel pretty guilty...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:40 AM   #1176
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Just getting around to watching a few I've had on my radar for awhile

Zodiac 8/10 very interesting movie into one of the most famous unsolved cases

Babel 6/10 seemed like a poor man's Crash that didn't quite affect me as much

Tsotsi 10/10 very powerful movie, I really enjoyed this one
Old 11-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #1177
Antmeister
Pro Starter

The Notebook 2/10

Argh! Chick flick alert! Chick flick alert! When my wife said she rented this, I thought she was joking at first. Either way, I figured I should watch this so that we can get a new movie instead of holding out on it.

All I have to say is that there was nothing in that movie that made you feel for any of the characters. While I must say that the acting was decent by the younger actors and superb by the older actors, the story was freaking predicatable and I couldn't help but to tell my wife what was going to happen next and, of course, I was dead on. She believes the movie is a 7.3/10. I couldn't disagree more. I was hoping for something huge to happen to make the movie salvagable, but I got nothing. I will not watch another chickie flick if she rents one. That was just way too hard to sit through while the wife is tearing up every 10 minutes.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:56 PM   #1178
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Apocalypto 7/10
Entertaining flick but didn't have the overall plot "oomph" to it that I expected. More of a one-man story - a jungle hunter who is captured by the Mayans in a brutal village raid and taken to their city to be a sacrifice. Freaky experience - the portrayal of the Mayan city is just wild - but then the movie sort of switches into a primitive version of Rambo. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Old 11-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #1179
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
The Notebook 2/10

Argh! Chick flick alert! Chick flick alert! When my wife said she rented this, I thought she was joking at first. Either way, I figured I should watch this so that we can get a new movie instead of holding out on it.

All I have to say is that there was nothing in that movie that made you feel for any of the characters. While I must say that the acting was decent by the younger actors and superb by the older actors, the story was freaking predicatable and I couldn't help but to tell my wife what was going to happen next and, of course, I was dead on. She believes the movie is a 7.3/10. I couldn't disagree more. I was hoping for something huge to happen to make the movie salvagable, but I got nothing. I will not watch another chickie flick if she rents one. That was just way too hard to sit through while the wife is tearing up every 10 minutes.

Why you gotta lie? I saw you wiping those tears you're not fooling anyone!

He ruined it for me with the loud sighs, the "give me the remote so I can forward it!" or when he ruined the "surprises"... all of 'em. Never again, never again.

Now I'm gonna make him sit through House of the Dead.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #1180
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
Grizzly Man 8/10 -- Documentary about a b-level actor with emotional problems who decides to live in Alaska among grizzly bears. Maybe a little longer than it should be, but certainly entertaining. The guy was a freak, but he clearly was aware of what he was doing and the risks he was taking.

That guy was a fruit loop. And not likable in the least. I was rooting for the bear.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #1181
korme
Go Reds

Just watched The Birds (63) for the first time, didn't like the ending. Anyone care to elaborate with spoiler tags why it ended the way it did?

Learn something new everyday too, that the main character chick is now Melanie Griffith's mommy.

Last edited by korme : 11-11-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #1182
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
He ruined it for me with the loud sighs, the "give me the remote so I can forward it!" or when he ruined the "surprises"... all of 'em. Never again, never again.

LOL... After ruining The Lakehouse by guessing it's "surprise" about 10 mins in, I'm no longer "allowed" (see: forced to) to watch chick flicks.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #1183
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Notebook 2/10

My wife would give it a 10/10 - she always has this friggin movie playing, argghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 04:48 AM   #1184
rowech
Pro Starter

Crash (8/10) -- Good movie, great performances, way over the top.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:28 AM   #1185
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Now I'm gonna make him sit through House of the Dead.

Little does she know that I can actually sit and enjoy a bad horror movie because you can treat it as an unintentional comedy. But sitting through a predicatable romance movie only almost makes you choke on your own vomit.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #1186
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Little does she know that I can actually sit and enjoy a bad horror movie because you can treat it as an unintentional comedy.

REEEEAAAALLLLLLLYYYYY???? You couldn't sit through Night of the Lepus which was a horribly awesome movie. Alright, you said it... you're in for a helluva lotta bad horror movies.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #1187
Pyser
Pro Rookie

No Country For Old Men - 9/10.

Simply outstanding. One of the best movies at desensitizing you to violence, while showing less and less. The Coen brothers take some big risks with this, and almost EVERYTHING is left to the viewer to figure out. The brothers are back. Thank god!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #1188
korme
Go Reds

Gonna see that one today if I can, Pyser. IMDB ratings are really favoring it and it was between this or Lions for Lambs which is getting mediocre reviews.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #1189
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Mannequin - 1987

kill me now.

although it's amazing how hot kim catrall was and kind of still is. and I had totally forgot james spader was in this.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #1190
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Mannequin - 1987

kill me now.

although it's amazing how hot kim catrall was and kind of still is. and I had totally forgot james spader was in this.

I love Mannequin. I remember seeing it in the theaters. That Hollywood guy was hilarious.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #1191
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post

Spoiler
Old 11-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #1192
korme
Go Reds

Lions for Lambs (2007) I can definitely understand why this has gotten mixed reviews and average ratings on IMDB. It's a very politically powered movie and if you take your own convictions into the movie then you will probably walk away rooting for the message or completely being disgusted by it. Luckily, I am not head over heels with my own stance on politics so I could go in and listen and watch without any bias. I thought it was a very good film, that ended perfectly. 8/10
Old 11-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #1193
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lives Of Others (2006) This was the picture that won "Best Foreign Film" in this year's Oscars. It was a bit of a suprise to many since it beat out Pan's Labyrinth. After finally getting around to seeing this movie, it definitely deserved the award. The film is set in East Germany in 1984 and is about a Stasi (secret police) agent who is spying on a writer whom the Communist government believes maybe a dissident. The film is sort of half morality play/half thriller. It's essentially about two men's loss of faith in the Communist party (for very different reasons) and how their lives intersect. A very good film. 9/10
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:10 AM   #1194
korme
Go Reds

3:10 to Yuma (2007) - Gotta say, I was disappointed a bit. It was a good movie to an extent, ruined by a shady ending and some odd casting choices. Of the two westerns, The Assassination blows this one away. Christian Bale is a fine actor. 6.5/10

Last edited by korme : 11-21-2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:17 AM   #1195
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I was just getting to post 3:10 to Yuma also.

3:10 to Yuma (2007) - I also felt the movie's ending was disappointing as well. I felt the movie was excellent up until the ending. I thought Russell Crowe and Christian Bale were awesome. I was also suprised with Ben Foster's performance. Like you said though, the ending did make me go what the fuck so.... 8/10
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:31 AM   #1196
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Curious, but how did you both think it should end? I actually wasn't much surprised by any of it. Answer in spoiler fashion, of course.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:39 AM   #1197
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

The last few movies I've watched are:

Meet the Robinsons
7/10 - I enjoyed it, animation flick, but good story and pretty funny

Reign over me -
8/10 I thought Adam Sandlers performance was great, Don Cheadle was ok. but the story was excellent.

Freedom Writers -
9/10 I thought It was a great great movie, brought me to tears at times.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:48 AM   #1198
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Curious, but how did you both think it should end? I actually wasn't much surprised by any of it. Answer in spoiler fashion, of course.

Spoiler
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:00 AM   #1199
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:02 AM   #1200
korme
Go Reds

Chief-
Spoiler