Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #1151
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
What's wrong with point and click decision games?

Didn't you ever play Sam and Max Hit the Road or Day of the Tentacle or Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis?

Man, I miss the early 1990s...

Adventure is making a bit of a comeback lately. Plus I'd read that George Lucas did not have a whole lot of interest in licensing or selling the old Lucas Arts adventure game IPs, perhaps that will change with Disney in charge of them now.

Last edited by mckerney : 11-02-2012 at 11:50 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #1152
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
What's wrong with point and click decision games?

Didn't you ever play Sam and Max Hit the Road or Day of the Tentacle or Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis?

Man, I miss the early 1990s...

One of my favorite games back in the day was Gabriel Knight.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #1153
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
One of my favorite games back in the day was Gabriel Knight.

Jane Jensen is currently making a spiritual successor to Gabriel Knight called Moebius.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #1154
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It's probably just because they were new and cool and we had never seen games like them before (or I certainly hadn't), but the old Sierra Quest games still hold a warm place in my heart.

Especially Space Quest. Loved that game. Go go Roger Wilco!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #1155
Butter
Coordinator

Gabriel Knight was the best.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #1156
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
It's probably just because they were new and cool and we had never seen games like them before (or I certainly hadn't), but the old Sierra Quest games still hold a warm place in my heart.

Especially Space Quest. Loved that game. Go go Roger Wilco!

The creators of Space Quest are also making a new adventure game called SpaceVenture.

There's also a fan remake of Kings Quest you might want to check out.

http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

Last edited by mckerney : 11-02-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #1157
sabotai
General Manager

I really liked the various Quest games too, especially Quest For Glory.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #1158
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
The creators of Space Quest are also making a new adventure game called SpaceVenture.

There's also a fan remake of Kings Quest you might want to check out.

Adventure Game Downloads

Awesome! I'll definitely check these out.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #1159
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

you are such an apologist...
Old 11-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #1160
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Adventure is making a bit of a comeback lately. Plus I'd read that George Lucas did not have a whole lot of interest in licensing or selling the old Lucas Arts adventure game IPs, perhaps that will change with Disney in charge of them now.

he never did have any common sense. Loom was such a gorgeous game!

And I love the King's Quest series. It is amazing! 6 and 7 were my favorites. 7 was definitely amazing.

And way back before that the Infocom and Scott Adams adventures. Adams was like "Infocom light" . Just a tad easier and not as big. Same great stories though.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #1161
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

wow thanks mckerney! WHOA!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #1162
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
you are such an apologist...

And a man of reason!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #1163
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
wow thanks mckerney! WHOA!

You're welcome! To continue with something that we could only say is even close to being relevant to the topic by saying that Glen probably played these games before the whole zombie apocalypse, I also saw today that the creators of Quest for Glory have put up a kickstarter for a new game.

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption by the Quest for Glory designers by Corey Cole — Kickstarter

Last edited by mckerney : 11-02-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #1164
Grover
Pro Starter

I love that this thread is completely derailed.

So how about those zombies? And the prison? And the governor? And Michonne's angry scowl? Merle's pretty bad ass. Loose cannon, I think he'll get his by the end of the season.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #1165
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

So how about those zombies? And the prison? And the governor? And Michonne's angry scowl? Merle's pretty bad ass. Loose cannon, I think he'll get his by the end of the season.

A couple thoughts...

I'm interested to see if/how Rick's group aligns with the two surviving prisoners and if there may be more prisoners in undiscovered parts of the prison (possible, but unlikely). I loved that part of the GN and thought they did a great job making me care about the promise of a secure habitat.

I like the governor character and am looking forward to seeing how he develops, but I wish they would have spent more time developing the prison storyline (think I've complained about this before in this thread) and let us enjoy it. I want to see the pending conflict, but want to make it stretch out and let the tension build.

I think they are setting Merle up to die in some type of heroic/sacrificial way. His character wasn't set up with much depth in the first season, so I'm guessing they spend part of the season showing that he is not all bad and then he saves Darryl or one of the kids or something.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #1166
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

LOL, sorry bout that. Just curious about the game as I hadn't played it yet and got carried away. Can't speak of the series though season 3 wise. Haven't seen it yet.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #1167
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How did all the governor backstory work in the comics. Were those one off type issues? Also I feel like they could easily go 30 more minutes per episode with these stories.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #1168
SteveMax58
College Starter

Alright...as usual I am behind on the episodes as I DVR them & watch them on the following Friday night usually.

A couple of thoughts...

1. Love the Governor character/actor. The guy is clearly good at manipulating people but also not afraid to get his hands dirty. This seems to be a believable set of skills that would have people follow somebody in a post-apocalyptic world.

2. I havent read the comics but I also feel like they are assuming too much info on the part of the viewer regarding Michonne. I think I like her (and I am somewhat aware of her character from reading up) but not sure the show has done a good job of making me like her.

3. I dont have much of a problem with the ambush of the NG troops for the reasons HB laid out. But thats only because of sheer ignorance to "what does this military know about the outbreak & survivor encampments that we dont know". Still...I have a hard time believing none of the military guys got an easy shot on the governor. Dramatic effect I suppose.

4. Not knowing the comic series..I'm completely intrigued by the tanks & cant wait to see a little more revealed about that & what the Woodbury scientists know.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #1169
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I was just watching the Yahtzee Crenshaw review of the Walking Dead game. Didn't know it was a decision based adventure game and not an action/adventure/survival Horror game at all. Am still intrigued but it makes me not want to buy it until supersuper sale.

I mean if there is no actual game and is all choose your own adventure stuff...

I played the first 4 episodes of the game last weekend (5th & last episode will come out early December I believe). Its structured very closely to watching episodes of a different survivor group. It has small bits of action & the like but most of it is point & click on the clues & "team building" conversations/tasks.

While I enjoyed it, I dont think the replay value is as good as I was hoping. The decisions you make that can "change" the story are not as fundamental to the general story & are a bit linear.

Basically, you still go from place A to B to C to D to E...you just do it with people feeling differently about you as you do those things and/or small changes in the characters. I was more hoping for it to be a bit more open ended than it is, personally. Still...I did enjoy the story format & the game itself but cant say I see a ton of depth that would lead me to play it again because the story would be dramatically different.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #1170
Raiders Army
Coordinator

A quick story about the National Guard: I had an Infantry Platoon from the Oklahoma National Guard assigned to me during the initial part of OIF. The platoon leader (who was 10 years older than me) came to me and asked me how I wanted my perimeter set up. I told him that I could tell him what made sense to me, but that wasn't my specialty. If someone asked me how to fire a Patriot missile, I could do so in detail...but I wasn't trained in Infantry tactics, other than Infantry Week at West Point.

Anyhow, the National Guard isn't always the most trained organization in DoD.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #1171
DanGarion
Coordinator

Yeah people seem to forget that a majority of the Army is made up of support personnel. Now if it was the Marines I would expect a different outcome.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #1172
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I played the first 4 episodes of the game last weekend (5th & last episode will come out early December I believe). Its structured very closely to watching episodes of a different survivor group. It has small bits of action & the like but most of it is point & click on the clues & "team building" conversations/tasks.

While I enjoyed it, I dont think the replay value is as good as I was hoping. The decisions you make that can "change" the story are not as fundamental to the general story & are a bit linear.

Basically, you still go from place A to B to C to D to E...you just do it with people feeling differently about you as you do those things and/or small changes in the characters. I was more hoping for it to be a bit more open ended than it is, personally. Still...I did enjoy the story format & the game itself but cant say I see a ton of depth that would lead me to play it again because the story would be dramatically different.

Thanks for your thoughts. Yeah I definitely will check them out eventually. I think I can hold out til later when they are cheaper.
I had similar hopes for Heavy Rain when it came out...that you legitimately could do anything, go anywhere but again that didn't turn out to be true. Was story not really even based on choices but more on succeed/fail. YOu still went to every scene, just some things become harder the more scenes you failed and thus some characters could succeed and pick up the slack for the failures of others. Still enjoyable, but the plot never changed persay.

Anyway all the insight is good and it does sound fun. (except for the parts about chopping off legs and such...yowch)
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #1173
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not lacking for action tonight but dang it, I was hoping that victim wasn't gonna be a victim. Bummer.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #1174
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just when they finally started writing that character well, he's gone. I was starting to enjoy him.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #1175
Grover
Pro Starter

thinning the herd.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #1176
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was speaking of Tdog. At least Carl did the right thing.

Last edited by stevew : 11-04-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #1177
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Just when they finally started writing that character well, he's gone. I was starting to enjoy him.

see my posts in the Lost threads about this very thing ...

See I told ya this show was a Lost wannabe
Old 11-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #1178
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
At least Carl did the right thing.

Bet you he didn't.

I'm betting that shot hit the floor.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #1179
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I knew T-Dog was a goner the moment he started talking so much.

Amazing episode. One of the best, easily. Wow. Show has been on fire so far this season.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #1180
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

Amazing episode. One of the best, easily. Wow. Show has been on fire so far this season.

I knew he was a goner because he was never in the opening credits.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #1181
Swaggs
Coordinator

Didn't love that episode.

Not going to get super critical about decisions made, but I thought that birth scene was way too contrived. I don't see why the c-section had to happen right that second and it seems silly to think that the best option is for mom without giving a little more time for the situation to stabilize (WTF is the kid supposed to eat?).

I'm all for suspending belief in my TV/movies and I'm not too upset with the outcome (although I'm not crazy about having a baby around for the next however many episodes), but that was one of my least favorite episodes to this point.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #1182
Radii
Head Coach

Damn, huge shakeup tonight. They remain on fire this season, another really good episode all around I thought.

How much does Michonne need Andrea I wonder? We obviously have the benefit of knowing that her gut instinct about the governor is spot on, but, she's got to be quickly getting close to taking off on her own, right?

Not too much to say about the prison stuff, solid stuff moving forward, and I won't be missing any of the ones that won't be around anymore. Taking care of a baby will be create problems for the group to solve for awhile so that'll be good.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #1183
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I am with Swaggs for now. I have to think about this episode for a bit.

How did the one prisoner survive against all those zombies with no weapons?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #1184
hoopsguy
General Manager

Yep, baby + one legged old-timer = tough spot to try and run from the next herd.

I'm guessing Carl actually did do the right thing, and that this marks his continued evolution into zombie killing machine. Although this isn't the world he has always known, he is growing up in it rather than coming at it as an accountant for 35 years or something along those lines. His value system will be fully formed in this world, and he's already carrying guilt from last season when he was weak and people died because of him.

Really high level of tension this episode. Still very inconsistent throughout in terms of lighting, zombie presence, reaction to noise, etc but I guess not badly enough to shatter my suspension of disbelief.

Hope we are not headed towards an episode (or three) where our fearless leader is a dumbass while working through his grief.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #1185
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I would imagine Carl will be a badass from this point forward.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #1186
hoopsguy
General Manager

Also, pretty sure this was the goriest episode we've seen yet. A couple of the walker deaths, T-Dog's throat being ripped out, seeing Lori get sliced open ... kinda messy for something outside of HBO/Showtime/etc
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #1187
booradley
High School Varsity

I thought Lori's good-bye to Carl was really touching. Tough to imagine a mom having to go through that. No - I'm still glad she died though!

Pee Esss - Who will step up as the new Annoying Character That Everyone Wants To Die, now that Lori's gone?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #1188
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I liked how the offed Lori in the comic a lot better than they did on the show..

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #1189
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I liked how the offed Lori in the comic a lot better than they did on the show..

It was definitely more shocking the way it was done in the comic, but it was a little more emotionally impactful the way it was done on the show with Carl being there, her getting to say good bye, and her sacrificing herself for her child.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #1190
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Bet you he didn't.

I'm betting that shot hit the floor.

My wife and I said the same thing. The fact they didn't show it seemed pretty blatant.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #1191
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post

Pee Esss - Who will step up as the new Annoying Character That Everyone Wants To Die, now that Lori's gone?

That's always been Andrea for me
Old 11-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #1192
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
My wife and I said the same thing. The fact they didn't show it seemed pretty blatant.

Have they showed any of the humans getting shot yet? I don't think so, but maybe I am wrong. I think the look in Carl's eyes afterwards said it all, that he did do it.

I was rooting for Lori to get killed, but I didn't really think it would ever happen and not like that. I don't know much labor, but as someone else said it seems like they had more time to think through that decision.

I think the group got overconfident in the prison. Rick should have made sure that one guy died instead of just assuming he would. Maybe if Glenn and Maggie should have been on the lookout instead of knocking boots in the prison tower.

It does seem odd that characters they were starting to develop more like T-Dog and Carol are gone just like that. Maybe that was the point.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #1193
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
That's always been Andrea for me

I will admit that Andrea is starting to get on my nerves with this nesting thing she has got going right now.

Although next week it looks like the village is going to have to deal with some biters.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #1194
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Rick should have made sure that one guy died instead of just assuming he would.

Wait a minute. The guy who turned on the alarms, opened the gates, etc. was the guy who appeared to end up as zombie kibble in episode 1?

If so, that didn't cross my mind for a second, I just thought it was a previously undiscovered prisoner.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #1195
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Wait a minute. The guy who turned on the alarms, opened the gates, etc. was the guy who appeared to end up as zombie kibble in episode 1?

If so, that didn't cross my mind for a second, I just thought it was a previously undiscovered prisoner.

Yes, I think so. I read another article that said Rick watched him escape from the zombies in episode 1, but I don't think that is accurate. I think he shut the door and just assumed he was dead.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #1196
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Yes, I think so. I read another article that said Rick watched him escape from the zombies in episode 1, but I don't think that is accurate. I think he shut the door and just assumed he was dead.

Yeah, that's how I remember it.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #1197
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well I'll be damned, this makes more sense than (what I assumed was) a random survivor that no one realized was in the prison.

And yeah, as I recall that scene from episode 1, we heard the guy scream as Rick left him to his fate & walked back down the hallway after closing the door.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #1198
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

agreed on both counts. as soon as he had lines I was like "yep, he's going to die now".

I loved the prison yard scene - the alarms coming on was a really nice way to ratchet up the tension.

I could have done without the birth stuff, but what can you do. maybe the island will take the baby and we can forget that ever happened.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #1199
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

yeah, definitely was the escaped prisoner. in related news, we still don't know who was watching them from outside the fence in that first episode, right?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #1200
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
yeah, definitely was the escaped prisoner. in related news, we still don't know who was watching them from outside the fence in that first episode, right?

Correct - that is who I have been assuming was behind all this, but who knows.