Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #1151
bob
College Starter

Trevor Siemian, a former seventh-round pick, will start at quarterback for the defending Super Bowl champions when the season opens.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #1152
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
This argument makes no sense to me. I can see why people would be upset with his form of protest, but the idea that he shouldn't be doing it because he's a multi-millionaire is ridiculous. Should only unsuccessful people protest injustice?

To me the money is relevant ONLY in this manner. He refuses to stand for the anthem of his Country. Thereby stating this country is inadequate to his standards. His financial means would allow him to, you know, move out of this country and find a better one if it is so bad.

I mean play this out on a smaller scale in a mental exercise.

Kid from the ghetto busts ass and does well. Chooses to remain living in the ghetto because it is home. Goes on a rant and protests because there is crime in his neighborhood and his house gets broken in
Stupid, right?
We'd all say, "Duh you live in the ghetto. Move!"

Same here for me. Yep the country sucks. You figured it out. Go to a better one.

If he resided in a lower tax bracket I would feel some...not sure the right word...sympathy to his plight because he couldnt afford to move. But kap can literally choose to live in any country in the world. Get to packing, bud.

Now my post does not suggest that there aren't equality issues in the country. I think there are. It also doens't suggest that we, collective, shouldn't be doing more about them. We should. But to deounce this country as a whole and intentionally disrespect Her, on the whole, because of that issue. Get the hell out of here. Move a GDAF on the way.

Let's call this what it is. Kap is stinking up the joint and he is begging for attention to remain relevant.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #1153
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That's silly though. That's implying that one can't initiate change from within the system. That someone can't decry the system while wanting their home to be better. Why did Martin Luther King, Jr. continue to live in Atlanta while complaining about racism? Why do Catholics continue to stay in the Church while complaining about the Church's response to child abuse?
Old 08-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #1154
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
To me the money is relevant ONLY in this manner. He refuses to stand for the anthem of his Country. Thereby stating this country is inadequate to his standards. His financial means would allow him to, you know, move out of this country and find a better one if it is so bad.

Kid from the ghetto busts ass and does well. Chooses to remain living in the ghetto because it is home. Goes on a rant and protests because there is crime in his neighborhood and his house gets broken in
Stupid, right?

Same here for me. Yep the country sucks. You figured it out. Go to a better one.

If he resided in a lower tax bracket I would feel some...not sure the right word...sympathy to his plight because he couldnt afford to move. But kap can literally choose to live in any country in the world. Get to packing, bud.

That's always the very worst argument in response to a protest. Just because someone doesn't like something going on in the country doesn't mean they don't want to be here. Maybe they want to make it better. Moving doesn't accomplish that.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #1155
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
That's always the very worst argument in response to a protest. Just because someone doesn't like something going on in the country doesn't mean they don't want to be here. Maybe they want to make it better. Moving doesn't accomplish that.

My problem is sitting through the national anthem doesn't accomplish anything positive. The only thing it does is divide people further.

With the money and fame he has there are countless ways he can make a difference, and he may be doing those things (I don't know), but sitting through the national anthem is more of a "look at me" thing than a "look at this situation" thing.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #1156
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
My problem is sitting through the national anthem doesn't accomplish anything positive. The only thing it does is divide people further.

With the money and fame he has there are countless ways he can make a difference, and he may be doing those things (I don't know), but sitting through the national anthem is more of a "look at me" thing than a "look at this situation" thing.

Right and as most people have said here, it's understandable to have a problem with his form of protest. Most of us are taking issue with the argument that he shouldn't protest because he's a millionaire or he should move if he doesn't like it. The latter is especially one of my least favorite arguments, because it's just a variation of the "if you're gay and want to get married, then move to Massachusetts" stupid argument that people kept bringing up during the gay marriage debate.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #1157
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

For a guy committed to voting for Trump, why don't you find a better country? Why would you want to live in a country that never wins and is run by stupid leaders?
Old 08-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #1158
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:

This is where I'm at with this. He wanted to shine the spotlight and get attention on the issue to start the conversation. So start it. Outside of his comment that cosmetologists are better trained than cops (which sounds moronic to me) what else is he adding to the conversation? Don't just say there's a problem and then not follow up with some kind of action.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #1159
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I dunno - it's got us (and presumably many, many football fans) talking about it right?

I think this vet nails it (spoiler tagged due to length):

Spoiler
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #1160
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
He IS still black though, right? I assume he generally goes through life as a black man, interacting with a majority of folks who don't know he was raised by white people?

I'm not sure the logic of having to be disadvantaged to lobby on behalf of someone works. I think there are plenty of peoples in the US who lobby for their brethren overseas, for example.

People know he was raised by white folks, that's why some of my black friends on FB are shitting on him. He's free to do whatever he thinks is justice but there are number of black folks shitting on him because he didn't go through "that struggle" growing up. Credibility is important to some.

Last edited by wustin : 08-29-2016 at 01:19 PM.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #1161
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I dunno - it's got us (and presumably many, many football fans) talking about it right?
Are we talking about inequality in the US or are we talking about him sitting during the national anthem. That's where I have no problem if he were to take the opportunity to continue to redirect the conversation.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #1162
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
People know he was raised by white folks, that's why some of my black friends on FB are shitting on him. He's free to do whatever he thinks is justice but there are number of black folks shitting on him because he didn't go through "that struggle" growing up. Credibility is important to some.

What the fuck? Why does he have to go through that struggle to fight against an injustice? Wouldn't it make more sense to criticize him if he didn't give a shit about injustice because he's a millionaire and never had to grow up in that environment?

No one is required to face a specific injustice to have a problem with that injustice and fight against it.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #1163
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

I think this vet nails it (spoiler tagged due to length):

Spoiler

Almost all of the talk I've seen about the incident has been about Kaepernick himself and whether or not he should have done it. I've seen very little discussion about the issues that surround the reason he gave for sitting in the first place.

From an outsider's perspective, it seems like he chose to take the easy approach to this. It takes no time, effort, or money spent for him to sit during the national anthem. As I said above, he may be doing those things (I wouldn't know), but even if he is he would have made a much stronger statement by using his sitting during the national anthem to bring attention to the things he and others are doing to improve communities while challenging others to do the same.

What he did comes off as random, not entirely thought out, and selfish.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #1164
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
Are we talking about inequality in the US or are we talking about him sitting during the national anthem. That's where I have no problem if he were to take the opportunity to continue to redirect the conversation.

How can you separate one from the other? Or do you think that people aren't going "Why is he sitting during the national anthem"? I mean that's the question that was asked that resulted in him answering about black people being oppressed in the US.

And I think it's that exact response that have people all pissed off. Most of the stuff I see on Facebook and Twitter are mocking him for being oppressed while being a millionaire. Heck, we are talking about right here in this thread. On this page.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #1165
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sounds like the Chargers and Bosa finally have agreed on a deal.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:22 PM   #1166
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Stupid, right?

Kid from Queens busts ass and does well. Chooses to remain living in the America because it is home. Goes on a rant and protests because there is crime in his neighborhood and his country gets broken in
Stupid, right?
We'd all say, "Duh you live in America. Move!"

AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:35 PM   #1167
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
That's silly though. That's implying that one can't initiate change from within the system. That someone can't decry the system while wanting their home to be better. Why did Martin Luther King, Jr. continue to live in Atlanta while complaining about racism? Why do Catholics continue to stay in the Church while complaining about the Church's response to child abuse?

Dr. King, as far as I know, never denigrated America. He spoke out against her policies, and justly so, but he never opposed her very existence. To em when you refuse to acknowledge the National Anthem you are protesting the existence of the sovereignty of the country.

The Catholic argument is a bit of a non-sequitor. If anything it proves my point. They didn't denounce the entire Church they opposed the actions of some. Kap in contrast defied the respect of the entire country.

Quote:

No, I am not saying since he opposed fair treatment he should leave. I AM saying if he doesnt respect the country and thinks the country as a whole needs protesting he should find somewhere better.

In short I am saying he has a valid concern, but expressed it in the worst way possible and missed the point.

(Tieing it in to current events) it would be akin to Bosa tearing the shield off his jersey and specifically saying its because he opposes the treatment by the Chargers and wishes the Browns would have drafted him.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #1168
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I am significantly more annoyed at the attention Kaepernick is getting than what he actually did. He's just a fool with no concept of what he is protesting, how he should go about it or the difference between disrespecting your country(that's making you wildly successful) and striving to improve it.

I'm just going to dismiss him as the fool he is. Wish everyone would. Let him sit, mock him, move on.

Quote:

And yes, of course protesting doesn't mean you don't want to be here. However refusing to acknowledge your national anthem kind of does. Again, kid's a fool and doesn't have the mental capacity to understand this.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-29-2016 at 03:04 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #1169
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dr. King, as far as I know, never denigrated America. He spoke out against her policies, and justly so, but he never opposed her very existence. To em when you refuse to acknowledge the National Anthem you are protesting the existence of the sovereignty of the country.

You are shifting goalposts a bit, aren't you? You said, "Thereby stating this country is inadequate to his standards. His financial means would allow him to, you know, move out of this country and find a better one if it is so bad."

Wasn't the country as it was inadequate to the standards of Dr. King?

To say that refusing the stand during the National Anthem is protesting the existence of the sovereignty of the country is quite a ridiculous statement as well. He's not standing because he feels the country oppresses black people and he doesn't particularly have pride in a flag that represents said country. How does that deny the existence of sovereignty of the country? It may instead do the opposite.

Quote:
The Catholic argument is a bit of a non-sequitor. If anything it proves my point. They didn't denounce the entire Church they opposed the actions of some. Kap in contrast defied the respect of the entire country.

You have evidently not heard from lifelong Catholics who were going through the scandal when it started coming out.

Quote:
I AM saying if he doesnt respect the country and thinks the country as a whole needs protesting he should find somewhere better.

Bullshit. The country has a whole DOES need protesting for its racist legacy and it's failure to adequately deal with said racist legacy. It's not "some of the country", it's the entire fucking edifice - it part of the bones and skin of the country and society we now live in. It permeates all of who were are and what we do.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #1170
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Almost all of the talk I've seen about the incident has been about Kaepernick himself and whether or not he should have done it. I've seen very little discussion about the issues that surround the reason he gave for sitting in the first place.

From an outsider's perspective, it seems like he chose to take the easy approach to this. It takes no time, effort, or money spent for him to sit during the national anthem. As I said above, he may be doing those things (I wouldn't know), but even if he is he would have made a much stronger statement by using his sitting during the national anthem to bring attention to the things he and others are doing to improve communities while challenging others to do the same.

What he did comes off as random, not entirely thought out, and selfish.
If he doesn't follow-up by talking about what he's doing about this (beyond just this gesture which - by itself - is rather empty), then I agree. He's got an opportunity here. He has a lot of attention right now, and a chance to make this about something much bigger than just whether it's OK to opt out of standing for the anthem.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:32 PM   #1171
molson
General Manager

If his heart is in the right place, than great. I think it's almost always more productive to be positive than hostile, no matter the issue, but he's a young guy, maybe this is part of his own evolution and he'll do good actual work when he's out of football. Sometimes that evolution can be bumpy depending on your experiences.

The timing of this is interesting though. I wonder if he knows he's going to be cut soon and wants to be able to spin this as the reason.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:45 PM   #1172
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Kaepernick has every right to make the protest he did. As Molson said, if he truly believes in the cause - kudos to him for standing (or sitting in this case) for it.

People have every right to give Kaepernick a ton of crap for doing it. Protesting was never meant to be easy, but if it's a cause you are adamant about bringing attention to - then some criticism shouldn't be a big deal.

But, there are repercussions for your actions - any the 49ers may very well cut him (in some part) for making this protest. That's also their right. In the end, I haven't seen any "unfair" about this situation to this point. Kaep made a stance that he had the right to make- but it was widely criticized for both his reasoning and his motives.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:45 PM   #1173
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

This reminds me of Jose Canseco. The message is fine. But not from this fucking turd.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #1174
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Bullshit. The country has a whole DOES need protesting for its racist legacy and it's failure to adequately deal with said racist legacy. It's not "some of the country", it's the entire fucking edifice - it part of the bones and skin of the country and society we now live in. It permeates all of who were are and what we do.

I was preparing to respond by line item until this final point. I realize that in reading it you and I will never agree. So I will respect your right to an opinion and maintain mine, unchanged.

FWIW I share a bit of similarity with Mr Kap.
I am a white male, biologically parented by 2 white parents. I was abandoned as an infant and raised in a series of foster homes. The folks I call Mom and Dad whom I spent the majority of my childhood with are both black. (They will actively protest the calling of them African Americans, their choice so I honor that and refer to them as they prefer)

I am not sure what that means about my validity to speak on the subject, just thought it was an interesting correlation.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:45 PM   #1175
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This, interestingly, is something I believe may be relevant (though it applies to baseball, not football):

Jackie Robinson: “I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag” – HardballTalk

Quote:
As I write this twenty years later, I cannot stand and sing the anthem. I cannot salute the flag; I know that I am a black man in a white world. In 1972, in 1947, at my birth in 1919, I know that I never had it made.

Those words were by Jackie Robinson, and yes, 1972 or 1947 were different than 2016. And Robinson didn't refuse to stand during the national anthem, only wish he did. But its worth thinking about, considering what we know of Jackie Robinson, if even for a little bit.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:49 PM   #1176
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Isn't the third verse of the national anthem about shooting runaway slaves that attempt to escape to British garrisons during the 1812 war?

Last edited by stevew : 08-29-2016 at 04:50 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #1177
Arles
Grey Dog Software

But wouldn't you say 2016 is a much different landscape on race than 1947 or even 1972? If I ran the electricians union in 2016, I could say "Hey, you know back in 1947, electricians routinely died in Pennsylvania coal mines - so we need much better benefits now!". But, that would be a little disingenuous given the current environment for electricians in 2016.

I think we do need to look at some race issues (esp in regards to the police in lower income areas), but it's not 1970s Mississippi out there today. The fact that Jackie Robinson wanted to not stand for the anthem in 1947 or 1972 has no bearing on how the treatment of athletes of color today. It's apples and oranges.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:06 PM   #1178
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm pretty sure when Colin Kaepernick is out of football, no one will care if he stands or sits during the anthem. All I know about Jackie is he'd rather quit baseball than play for the Giants and that is good enough for me

Last edited by MrBug708 : 08-29-2016 at 05:07 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #1179
molson
General Manager

I took that part of the Robinson comments, in context, as expressing what he was feeling was he was invited into white baseball. He didn't have an innocent naive excitement just to be there, there was a real internal conflict - he was now a part of this exclusionary league and he had to play along with all of the customs in those leagues. Which had to be incredibly surreal. I think we all know what the reaction would have been if he refused to stand for the anthems and was outspoken about that when he played, but I wonder how that would have impacted further progress in societal attitudes. He might have done more good the way he did it - but he must have been very conflicted about that as well.

As far as I know, Jackie Robinson, Bill Russell, Jim Brown, and Muhammad Ali all stood for the anthem. I'm sure they, and many others, had complicated relationships with the concept of America and their role in it, but they all furthered what they believed in in varying other ways - from refusing to fight and kill for the U.S.A, by leading by example and having success, by being outspoken on social issues, etc. All of which feels more substantive than what's really the equivalent of spitting on a national monument or refusing to shake someone's hand. (Edit: but I'd also bet that all of those guys did shit in their younger days that was both more hostile and less productive that Kaepernick's deal - everything is under a microscope now).

I guess the closest famous equivalent in sports is the Olympics Black Power protest. Maybe I completely misread their intent, I'm not really the audience, but I always found that gesture very powerful because they didn't turn their back on the anthem, they didn't sit down, they stood up in such a manner as to stay, "we're here too and don't you fucking forget it." That to me is very American. And it was even fairly positive, in the sense of expressing concern and awareness about black poverty, expressing black pride, as opposed to just generically insulting a broad idea or broad group, which is really just a message of hate. Of course I have the advantage of not being alive when it happened and not having to process it as an already-established adult with feelings and biases, etc.

Edit: When you have Richard Sherman, who had to deal with the whole thing where he was widely called a "thug" for non-criminal behavior, saying that Kaepernick chose the wrong forum, then I think he probably chose the wrong forum. Doesn't make him a terrible person, unless this is all calculated to try to keep himself on the team longer, or to create a spin/excuse for his release.

Last edited by molson : 08-29-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #1180
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Trevor Siemian, a former seventh-round pick, will start at quarterback for the defending Super Bowl champions when the season opens.

Probably an upgrade over 2015 peyton though.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #1181
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Probably an upgrade over 2015 peyton though.

Yup. The bigger issue looks like our O-line is worse than last year and being able to generate a run first ground game will be very difficult. I am starting to think 6-10 is more likely than 10-6:-(

Last edited by Galaril : 08-29-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #1182
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Kaepernick has every right to make the protest he did. As Molson said, if he truly believes in the cause - kudos to him for standing (or sitting in this case) for it.

People have every right to give Kaepernick a ton of crap for doing it. Protesting was never meant to be easy, but if it's a cause you are adamant about bringing attention to - then some criticism shouldn't be a big deal.

But, there are repercussions for your actions - any the 49ers may very well cut him (in some part) for making this protest. That's also their right. In the end, I haven't seen any "unfair" about this situation to this point. Kaep made a stance that he had the right to make- but it was widely criticized for both his reasoning and his motives.

Pretty much my stance. Kaep can think what he wants. I can think he's badly misinformed. As the veteran above said, I'm not going to MAKE him give the flag respect. He isn't going to MAKE me respect his stance.

I remember going through this with Chris Jackson many moons ago. Now Abdul-Rauf. His not standing for the anthem pretty much ended his career in Denver. Looking back on it 20+ years later, I don't think it has helped or hurt America in any way. I'm pretty sure if I live to 65-70, I'll look back at this the same way.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #1183
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Yup. The bigger issue looks like our O-line is worse than last year and being able to generate a run first ground game will be very difficult. I am starting to think 6-10 is more likely than 10-6:-(

It's frightening. I hope Lynch is the answer at QB long term, but we really butchered this offseason with the QB position. I still have no idea why we though Sanchez was the right veteran to bring in. I will never, ever understand it. I predicted he would get cut the first weekend after the trade and was widely laughed at in my circle of friends. (which is not uncommon) This time I get to laugh back.

The problem is what is going to happen this year. The defense is going to be uber strong again, but we are not getting out of all those close games with wins. It simply isn't happening again. We needed a better offense and unless Trevor is better than I think he is, we won't be.

We'll find out in a couple of weeks how good this team will be. We know Carolina is coming in for blood.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:36 PM   #1184
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But wouldn't you say 2016 is a much different landscape on race than 1947 or even 1972? If I ran the electricians union in 2016, I could say "Hey, you know back in 1947, electricians routinely died in Pennsylvania coal mines - so we need much better benefits now!". But, that would be a little disingenuous given the current environment for electricians in 2016.

I think we do need to look at some race issues (esp in regards to the police in lower income areas), but it's not 1970s Mississippi out there today. The fact that Jackie Robinson wanted to not stand for the anthem in 1947 or 1972 has no bearing on how the treatment of athletes of color today. It's apples and oranges.

But that's somewhat the entire issue right here. The notion that it isn't 1972 Mississippi seemingly meaning that racism doesn't exist anymore. I'm sure people in 1972 thought WTF are these black people so angry at, they got Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act passed and forced bussing. What is wrong with those coddled people?

People like Kaepernick or other athletes that affirm Black Lives Matter are saying hey racism still exists, things are still fucked up, and I don't feel like I should feel pride in a society that still allows these things to happen. And not only is there nothing wrong with that, but he has quite a valid point in saying so.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:46 PM   #1185
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I guess the closest famous equivalent in sports is the Olympics Black Power protest. Maybe I completely misread their intent, I'm not really the audience, but I always found that gesture very powerful because they didn't turn their back on the anthem, they didn't sit down, they stood up in such a manner as to stay, "we're here too and don't you fucking forget it." That to me is very American. And it was even fairly positive, in the sense of expressing concern and awareness about black poverty, expressing black pride, as opposed to just generically insulting a broad idea or broad group, which is really just a message of hate. Of course I have the advantage of not being alive when it happened and not having to process it as an already-established adult with feelings and biases, etc.

Remember those Black Power athletes were completely raked over the coals for that protest. They were seen to be disrespecting the country by making a political statement during the anthem (which still would be considered disrespectful by some folks - I don't know if Kaep did that he would have been spared the controversy). They both got death threats for doing so as well.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:16 PM   #1186
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
It's frightening. I hope Lynch is the answer at QB long term, but we really butchered this offseason with the QB position. I still have no idea why we though Sanchez was the right veteran to bring in. I will never, ever understand it. I predicted he would get cut the first weekend after the trade and was widely laughed at in my circle of friends. (which is not uncommon) This time I get to laugh back.

The problem is what is going to happen this year. The defense is going to be uber strong again, but we are not getting out of all those close games with wins. It simply isn't happening again. We needed a better offense and unless Trevor is better than I think he is, we won't be.

We'll find out in a couple of weeks how good this team will be. We know Carolina is coming in for blood.

Yes these team is starting t reminds of the year we had Tebow and went on th crazy winning streak with that great defense abovee average line with good kicking and running. Well this time we may have a worse QB situation with Tebow since we t least had the good line weaker division and a decent backup QB in Orton. Yes that is how bad it is in Denver this preseason I just typed Orton =equaled decent backup.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:50 AM   #1187
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Doesn't make him a terrible person, unless this is all calculated to try to keep himself on the team longer, or to create a spin/excuse for his release.

Maybe I'm a terrible cynical person, but I can't help but think there's absolutely some truth there. He was about to lose a QB job to Blaine Gabbert, get himself cut and probably never be a starter in the NFL again.

I mean I could be way off base here, but if you had told me to name an NFL player who would come out and be an activist for this movement, he'd have probably been pretty near the bottom. I don't hate him for the message, and if it's coming from the heart more power him for taking the stand, but yeah. I'm very skeptical of this one.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:32 AM   #1188
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Maybe I'm a terrible cynical person, but I can't help but think there's absolutely some truth there. He was about to lose a QB job to Blaine Gabbert, get himself cut and probably never be a starter in the NFL again.

I mean I could be way off base here, but if you had told me to name an NFL player who would come out and be an activist for this movement, he'd have probably been pretty near the bottom. I don't hate him for the message, and if it's coming from the heart more power him for taking the stand, but yeah. I'm very skeptical of this one.

I dunno. From what Ive read about him before, he's always seemed to me like the type of guy who would want to help change society.

If that was his goal, I think he will fail. First, he has not really generated a ton of support for this, even by the people he is doing it for. Second, as all of us know, if an NFL team thinks you can help them win. . . You pretty much have to be filmed and convicted of eating babies at a satanic ritual to not get signed. Beat the hell out of your girlfriend? That is horrible, can you rush the passer?

Kaep would have to do a lot of convincing to make me think an NFL team chose not to sign him because of this.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:36 AM   #1189
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I dunno. From what Ive read about him before, he's always seemed to me like the type of guy who would want to help change society.

If that was his goal, I think he will fail. First, he has not really generated a ton of support for this, even by the people he is doing it for. Second, as all of us know, if an NFL team thinks you can help them win. . . You pretty much have to be filmed and convicted of eating babies at a satanic ritual to not get signed. Beat the hell out of your girlfriend? That is horrible, can you rush the passer?

Kaep would have to do a lot of convincing to make me think an NFL team chose not to sign him because of this.

He did say he would stand for the anthem once everything is fixed.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #1190
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Yes these team is starting t reminds of the year we had Tebow and went on th crazy winning streak with that great defense abovee average line with good kicking and running. Well this time we may have a worse QB situation with Tebow since we t least had the good line weaker division and a decent backup QB in Orton. Yes that is how bad it is in Denver this preseason I just typed Orton =equaled decent backup.

I honestly don't think this Broncos team is any worse than last year's. Not that I'm expecting another Super Bowl appearance, they greatly overachieved by winning a lot of close games. That probably evens out this year and brings them back to the 8-10 win range. But the offensive line is not worse, they were probably bottom 5 already last season. And Siemian has looked pretty good this offseason, far better than Tebow ever did.

Things could blow up badly but I just don't see that happening with how good the defense is.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #1191
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Remember those Black Power athletes were completely raked over the coals for that protest.

As they should have been.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #1192
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Remember those Black Power athletes were completely raked over the coals for that protest. They were seen to be disrespecting the country by making a political statement during the anthem (which still would be considered disrespectful by some folks - I don't know if Kaep did that he would have been spared the controversy). They both got death threats for doing so as well.

Hell, in that era, Hank Aaron got death threats for having the gall to hit too many home runs. So ya, the black power thing was incredibly provocative.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:12 AM   #1193
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
But that's somewhat the entire issue right here. The notion that it isn't 1972 Mississippi seemingly meaning that racism doesn't exist anymore. I'm sure people in 1972 thought WTF are these black people so angry at, they got Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act passed and forced bussing. What is wrong with those coddled people?
Just because it's not perfect doesn't mean that tactics from when the situation was awful are still warranted here. I just completely reject the notion that today's America can even be loosely compared to the 1940s or even 1970s when it comes to race. We have a black president, we have black CEOs of fortune 500 companies, black athletes are more coddled than 99% of white people and there are checks and balances throughout education and the workplace to ensure African Americans aren't getting the shaft. Now, on the issue of police treatment (esp in poorer areas), I do think there is some room for improvement. But, comparing today to 1972 on race issues is a little ridiculous.

Quote:
People like Kaepernick or other athletes that affirm Black Lives Matter are saying hey racism still exists, things are still fucked up, and I don't feel like I should feel pride in a society that still allows these things to happen. And not only is there nothing wrong with that, but he has quite a valid point in saying so.
That's their right, but are you saying people can't criticize their method of protest? I think it's extremely fair to say that sitting down for the national anthem is insulting to many Americans and not nearly as effective as other methods of protest aimed at targeting this issue. I'm trying to figure out what your issue is with how people have handled the Kaepernick situation. Most people aren't saying that he doesn't have the right to protest in the manner he did. Instead, it's simply that his method was clumsy and motives seem questionable given his status on the team.

Last edited by Arles : 08-30-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #1194
molson
General Manager

I mentioned Jim Brown earlier, who really was one of the more antagonizing black athletes in his day when it came to being outspoken on social issues in a very chaotic time, even he disagreed with the method Kaepernick used (though he supported his right to do it and to express what he was feeling in that way). Because he considers himself an American, who pays his taxes like everyone else, who has always wanted more rights for himself and members of his race in the existing country. When you instead just broadly attack the entire concept of America, you're shitting on a much broader target, including Veterans, prior civil rights leaders, people who have fought for other progress in the U.S., the whole thing.

Last edited by molson : 08-30-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #1195
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just because it's not perfect doesn't mean that tactics from when the situation was awful are still warranted here. I just completely reject the notion that today's America can even be loosely compared to the 1940s or even 1970s when it comes to race. We have a black president, we have black CEOs of fortune 500 companies, black athletes are more coddled than 99% of white people and there are checks and balances throughout education and the workplace to ensure African Americans aren't getting the shaft. Now, on the issue of police treatment (esp in poorer areas), I do think there is some room for improvement. But, comparing today to 1972 on race issues is a little ridiculous.

So... aside from police treatment, racism is dead? Things are better, but when the War on Drugs and mass incarceration seems to be focused on the black community (whites and blacks do the same amount of drugs, but blacks are overwhelmingly the ones jailed for it). When said actions lead to incredibly powerful books like Michelle Alexander's "The New Jim Crow". When police departments show incredibly levels of racism (look at the Justice Department probes into the PDs at Ferguson, Mo. and Baltimore, Md.). The country still has a major, major problem with racism.

FWIW, there only 5 black CEOs on the Fortune 500. Yeah, that's better than before, but that's still kind of pitiful. There are laws that are in place to prevent workplace discrimination, but it still happens quite a bit (the various studies of call backs when sending the same resume with 'black' names vs. 'white' names, etc.). We have a black President, but people still believe him to be a Muslim, from Kenya, etc.

We may be better on race than in 1972, but it isn't nearly as much as people may think. And I think that a lot of it still hasn't gotten better and needs to be called out.

Quote:
That's their right, but are you saying people can't criticize their method of protest? I think it's extremely fair to say that sitting down for the national anthem is insulting to many Americans and not nearly as effective as other methods of protest aimed at targeting this issue. I'm trying to figure out what your issue is with how people have handled the Kaepernick situation. Most people aren't saying that he doesn't have the right to protest in the manner he did. Instead, it's simply that his method was clumsy and motives seem questionable given his status on the team.

Why is it clumsy? What's a better form of protest? Are we or are we not discussing the status of African-Americans in the country today? Would we have been doing so if Kaep was marching in a Black Lives Matter parade?

People can criticize the method of protest. I can also say they are wrong (morally, not legally) for doing so. Or are you saying that folks can't criticize people who are against the method of protest?
Old 08-30-2016, 11:50 AM   #1196
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Why is it clumsy?
Because there's a lot of collateral damage with it. If I don't like the hiring practice for a certain retailer, putting out an ad or protest against all retailers seems a little clumsy and unfair to those who aren't acting that way. I think the way Lebron handled the Eric Garner case, Wade/Lebron/Melo brought notice to BLM or even Rose with the "I can't breathe" T-Shirt were all very poignant ways to bring attention to the issue. Sitting down for the national anthem is disrespectful to millions of Americans (including black americans).

Quote:
What's a better form of protest?
I went through 3 above. If Kaepernick had worn a Black Lives Matter headband or even had a BLM T-Shirt after the game in a press conference - I think both would have garnered just as much attention without the disrespecting America collateral damage.
Quote:
Are we or are we not discussing the status of African-Americans in the country today? Would we have been doing so if Kaep was marching in a Black Lives Matter parade?
We've talked/responded to numerous more effective methods by athletes. I just think this was lazy and clumsy.

Quote:
People can criticize the method of protest. I can also say they are wrong (morally, not legally) for doing so. Or are you saying that folks can't criticize people who are against the method of protest?
No, I just didn't understand your point. Now I do. I think it's a little silly to say that Kaepernick has the right to protest in a clumsy way, but that's it is unfair for anyone to criticism his method. But, we can agree to disagree I guess.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #1197
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I went through 3 above. If Kaepernick had worn a Black Lives Matter headband or even had a BLM T-Shirt after the game in a press conference - I think both would have garnered just as much attention without the disrespecting America collateral damage.

How much real conversation happened after the LeBron/Wade/Melo/Rose comments? Not much. If Kaepernick work a BLM shirt in the press conference it would have been the same. A story for a day, some Facebook memes talking about it. Then over.

There were a lot of people who thought the 200m runners in the 1968 Olympics were disrespecting America at time. There were a lot of people who thought Muhammed Ali's outspoken anti-Vietnam statements (due to American racism) were disrespecting America. We don't necessarily think they still are (well, Jon might).

I don't think claiming that America is a racist country is disrespecting the country. It's calling it to be better. Be worthy of people standing up to honor the flag. Respect is earned, not given - I've heard that a time or two. I think the country is be called on the carpet to earn that respect.

Quote:
I think it's a little silly to say that Kaepernick has the right to protest in a clumsy way, but that's it is unfair for anyone to criticism his method.

I'm not saying it's 'unfair' - just that its dumb, IMO.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #1198
molson
General Manager

I read a lot more about police tactics, training, racial issues, ect., after the actual controversial events than I ever did after any of the protests. After the protests it seems there's more talk about the protests than any issues. Maybe in 2016 with all the media sources and ability to express ourselves to a wider audience, traditional protests aren't as important. Maybe it's better to actually do good work in the community to promote change, or to at least financially support those various watchdog, community groups, state legislators who are in the position to actually change laws, etc.

Last edited by molson : 08-30-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:27 PM   #1199
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Stop it, Molson. It's more effective to drop a deuce on the American Flag at the 50-yardline before a game. THAT gets people to talk about this issue and that's what matters. Support change in the community? Actually state the message of change you want to the press? YAWN!
Old 08-30-2016, 12:46 PM   #1200
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I read a lot more about police tactics, training, racial issues, ect., after the actual controversial events than I ever did after any of the protests. After the protests it seems there's more talk about the protests than any issues. Maybe in 2016 with all the media sources and ability to express ourselves to a wider audience, traditional protests aren't as important. Maybe it's better to actually do good work in the community to promote change, or to at least financially support those various watchdog, community groups, state legislators who are in the position to actually change laws, etc.

The older I get the more I think change takes both the radicals and the quiet workmen types. I think the combination of outrage/visibility with slow and steady work gets further than either would alone.