Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2008, 01:46 AM   #1151
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Details are finally starting to leak out about Ty Willingham and the UW and the decision to keep him around for another year. There have been whispers for the last month that there was a lot of behind the scenes stuff that played out before UW President Mark Emmert made his public decision to retain Ty for another year, which was followed about a week later with the announcement that AD Todd Turner was "resigning" by mutual decision.

A little back story - this past season, Ty's 3rd at the UW, concluded the 4th straight losing season in football at the UW, something that has never happened before. Not only that, the team has finished tied for last, 9th and last in the Pac-10 in Ty's 3 seasons, also unprecedented. Many Husky fans, including a large number of boosters, have had it with Ty, thinking that while he did inherit a messy situation, he hasn't shown nearly enough signs of righting the program in his 3 years.

Once the Huskies lost to cross-state rivals WSU, the wheels were already turning behind the scenes. Emmert had seen enough, and was working on a way to get rid of Ty that was best for all parties. After the following week and the season-ending come from ahead loss to Hawaii, the plan was in place - Ty was going to "resign", with a prominent booster on tap to cover a significant portion of Ty's contractual buyout clause. Both parties felt a resignation was the best way to go, with Ty not having 2 consecutive firings on his resume, and the UW not having to take the same kind of heat Notre Dame did for firing Ty.

However, AD Turner apparently was never on board with this plan, and when he got wind of it talked Ty out of agreeing to resign. Also, Ty assistant Bob Simmons (Special Teams and TE coach) felt that he could save his own job by lobbying Ty to not go along with the resignation plan, and he contacted various "special interest" groups (such as the NAACP) to start asking questions of the UW about Ty.

This caused the previously agreed "resignation" scenario to fall apart, infuriating President Emmert. Because he was also in the middle of trying to lobby a major financial support package through the state legislature, he felt he didn't have the political capital to weather a possible PR firestorm over firing Ty while also getting that funding passed. As a result, Ty got to stick around for another year, but with the very clear demand that a winning season and a bowl game is the minimum necessary to keep his job beyond next year, as well as changes to his coaching staff.

AD Turner not surprisingly (except perhaps to himself) was shortly thereafter told he was "resigning" by Emmert, making Turner fall on the sword originally intended for Ty. Turner was already in hot water due to his penchant for alienating boosters and issuing stupid quotes in the media, and he never seemed to get that while the UW prides itself on its' academic reputation, the Husky fan base also demands excellence on the field. Turner never has been in step with big-time athletics and would be just fine fielding teams with very high GPA's, no controversy and consistently losing records. He doesn't seem to get that all of those things aren't completely a mutually exclusive deal.

Simmons didn't escape either - Ty was told in no uncertain terms that changes were necessary to his staff. His meddling, along with poor play by TE's and the Special Teams under his watch, meant he was one of the purges. Ty's longtime defensive coordinator Kent Baer (who oversaw the 2 worst statistical defenses in UW history in his 3 seasons) also got axed.

And from what has leaked, it should come as no big shock to anyone that Ty's likely replacement would've been...Jim L. Mora.

Anyway, I figure some of the hardcore college football junkies and Ty Willingham followers might find all of this interesting. It pisses me off knowing how close the UW was to making the right call and moving beyond the Ty Willingham error; now we have to endure another season with him that is likely to seal his fate - I think it's going to take a lot of luck for him to win enough games to stick around. I only hope Holmgren sticks it out another season with the Seahawks and Mora is still an option next year...

Last edited by dawgfan : 01-06-2008 at 02:58 PM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:16 AM   #1152
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Wow, I hope June does well in SMU and I'm ashamed at the way Hawaii handled this situation, especially with the budget, they really don't care about the facilities and recruiting it seems. I don't understand they just got some nice BCS money and yet don't want to improve that stuff. Idiots.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:58 AM   #1153
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
Taz, everything i've read says June wanted Hawaii to commit more money to the program/facilities etc.. and instead they offered him more money, but still not as much as pat hill makes.

That seems rather insulting to me, i'm sorry for your loss..

Yeah apparently the resignation letter listed 19 things June wanted to see done at Hawaii and none of them happened. The letter also mentions 5 people he thinks would be a good replacement; Kevin Gilbride, Duane Akina, Dick Tomey, Norm Chow, and Cal Lee.

The first offer UH made was below Pat Hill's salary but it sounds like the second offer they made would have made him the highest paid HC in the WAC. One station here reported it was for 5 years at a total of $7.5 million. Still it is no commitment to facility upgrades.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #1154
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Oh sweet baby jesus I hope Hawaii hires Duane Akina.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #1155
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Akina LOOKS likea football coach, and SOUNDS like a football coach, unfortunately he lacks every other necessary ability of a football coach.

You know if you combined him and Chuck Amato, you would have 1 guy that looked like a football coach and sounded like a football coach, and...well thats about it...Damn sorry chuck
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #1156
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

people in Hawaii are going nuts today, I think there might be some riots at some point, its insane.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #1157
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
people in Hawaii are going nuts today, I think there might be some riots at some point, its insane.

So June Jones mostly wanted facility upgrades and more money for recruiting and instead Hawaii just tried to pay him more?

If Hawaii's facilities are as bad as I've heard, I can understand him doing what he did. Sad for Hawaii fans and I certainly feel your pain.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #1158
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
So June Jones mostly wanted facility upgrades and more money for recruiting and instead Hawaii just tried to pay him more?

If Hawaii's facilities are as bad as I've heard, I can understand him doing what he did. Sad for Hawaii fans and I certainly feel your pain.

so far that is what is being said. with all the politics in College athletics, I'm not sure if we will ever know exactly what he was requesting. His meeting with the SMU board started 5 minutes ago, so we may know more about that pretty soon.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #1159
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB2/viewt...er=asc&start=0

Quote:
In fact, it might be less than 50-50 now. I've been told that SMU wants this thing put to bed one way or another by 8 p.m. tonight and they do have a standby candidate -- Coach Fran.

Quote:
I'm not positive but from what I'm gleening, he's concerned about some of the proposed changes to the 'model' - for a lack of better word - that what is being talked about might not be enough. He also is torn about leaving Hawaii as he really has feelings for the place.

Yeah, it is an unofficial source but most of the stuff out there is unofficial.

Believe.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #1160
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

From Stephen Tsai's (Honolulu Advertiser reporter) blog,

Quote:
The Dallas media expected an announcement on June Jones at 5 p.m. Central time (1 p.m. in Hawai‘i).
But the projected time came and went, and now reporters have been told there will be a significant delay.
It is not know if that means there's a snag in talks or whether details need to be worked out.
Stay tuned.

From Dave Reardon's (Honolulu Star-Bulletin reporter) blog,

Quote:
Comment by Dave Reardon
2008-01-06 14:00:15
Yes. I don’t have many details, other than a well-placed government official saying assurances have been made to Steinberg and Jones.

Also, the second proposal includes a salary raise for Jones to $1.5 million per year. This has been confirmed with a very good source.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:33 PM   #1161
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

http://colleges.beloblog.com/archive....html#comments

Quote:
Steinberg calls back

9:44 PM Sun, Jan 06, 2008 | Permalink
Kate Hairopoulos E-mail News tips
Here's the deal, according to Leigh Steinberg, June Jones' agent:
Jones is undecided. Hawaii has made a tremendous 11th hour push to try to sway Jones to stay, including a third, increased offer.
Things are quite fluid. Stay tuned. There may be a resolution tonight. Part of the problem is that Hawaii is four hours behind us.
Here's some other details of what went on during Jones' visit, even while Hawaii made its best effort to try to keep Jones:
Jones' meeting with SMU president R. Gerald Turner went extremely well, Steinberg said. Jones had lunch at booster Gerald Ford's house with Ford and Carl Sewell, the chairman of SMU's board of trustees.
The meeting with the search committee also went well.
Jones had dinner with a large group of SMU boosters tonight at Nick & Sam's. Many SMU folks had flown in from around the state.
"The SMU part of it wasn't hard at all, that was very positive," Steinberg said.
But will it be enough?

Apparently Governor Lingle has gotten involved either calling June/Leigh herself or contacted UH President David McClain to get something done. If the Governor is involved upgraded facilities have to be on the table now.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #1162
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

taz thanks for the updates.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:57 AM   #1163
BYU 14
Coordinator

What really strikes me about the whole Hawaii situation is that you are not hearing grief from any oppossing factions within the school. Complaints from either from other sports or the education faction upset because they want some of the BCS Money, or upset that the school is trying to mortgage the farm at the expense of their interests. That speaks to how much Football means at Hawaii.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:19 AM   #1164
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I hope that Akina stays at Texas. Yes, he fell short this year as the DC, but he has been stellar as the defensive backs coach, and that is the role he is supposed to go back to for next season. The number of Texas-exes in NFL secondaries shows that he is an excellent positional coach. He just not ready yet for the role of head coach or big school coordinator.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #1165
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I hope that Akina stays at Texas. Yes, he fell short this year as the DC, but he has been stellar as the defensive backs coach, and that is the role he is supposed to go back to for next season. The number of Texas-exes in NFL secondaries shows that he is an excellent positional coach. He just not ready yet for the role of head coach or big school coordinator.

There is plenty of evidence that he is good at coaching individual defensive backs, such as the NFL numbers you cite and the Thorpe Awards.

There is little evidence that he is goot at coaching a defensive backfield as a whole. Last year we had 3 NFL players in our secondary and we looked completely lost against any decent passing offense. We have never been able to field a cohesive zone in the defensive backfield as long as he's been here.

If you're judging a DB coach based on how many guys he gets in the NFL, Akina is very good. If you're judging a DB coach based on how his DBs actually perform as a unit in college, he's not very good.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 01-07-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #1166
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...907241368.html

Honolulu Advertiser is reporting that June Jones is the new SMU coach.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #1167
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Question for you Hawaii fans: Does the UofH (and their donors) have the resources to really upgrade the facilities and recruiting budget, or is it a pipe dream? I just don't have the feeling that the state of Hawai'i and the University bring in enough to even begin to compete with the rich Texas donors at SMU, but I am not close to the situation.

Either way, it stinks to lose him, but hopefully there is a solid base there now that will allow the program to stay on the up and not descend to the winless seasons it experienced before Jones.

Last edited by wbatl1 : 01-07-2008 at 11:14 AM.
wbatl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #1168
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

What Huckleberry said. If he gets credit for coaching up Michael Griffin, Tarrell Brown, and Aaron Ross, then he deserves credit for turning that unit into one of the worst secondaries the school has ever had. It takes a special kind of coach to take 3 really good players into the the 5th percentile of pass defenses.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #1169
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbatl1 View Post
Question for you Hawaii fans: Does the UofH (and their donors) have the resources to really upgrade the facilities and recruiting budget, or is it a pipe dream? I just don't have the feeling that the state of Hawai'i and the University bring in enough to even begin to compete with the rich Texas donors at SMU, but I am not close to the situation.

I honestly do not know. UH received semi-autonomy several years ago, so that when the legislature/governor set asides money for them the university can spend it as how they see fit. From things I have heard, little to no money went to athletics. The university would rather save that money to build a new West Oahu campus than to use it to repair/renovate/build new facilities on the main campus at Manoa. The hope with the June Jones negotiations was that the government and the UH administration would finally cave and invest in athletics. June wasn't asking for PAC 10 facilities. He was asking for facilities to compete in the WAC.

Quote:
Either way, it stinks to lose him, but hopefully there is a solid base there now that will allow the program to stay on the up and not descend to the winless seasons it experienced before Jones.

Hawaii is doomed.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #1170
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Well I guess the good news is that UH should have an easier time filling up the schedule now.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #1171
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

As for replacements, the #1 name on most people's minds is Norm Chow but I doubt it happens because a) UH wouldn't/couldn't give him the salary he will ask for b) I think he holds a grudge for being passed over for Fred Von Appen way back when.

I woudln't mind seeing Jeff Reinbold or Cal Lee get a shot as HC. Reinbold has been Hawaii's best recruiter and seems to really want to stay here. Cal Lee is a Hawaii HS coaching legend and so he could help with local recruiting if hired.

Quote:
UH will have 2 p.m. news conference

By Dave Reardon
Posted On: January 7th, 2008 11:18AM
Speculation is that there will be a very big announcement. We haven’t confirmed it yet, but word on the street is it is something that will make many Hawaii fans happy. (And it’s not June Jones coming back). Don’t ask for more hints, because there won’t be any until we confirm it.

I doubt it will be a new coach announcement. It will probably be the annoucement of the firing or resignation of the athletic director Herman Frazier.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:27 PM   #1172
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

its gotta be frazier getting axed. he doesn't have the balls to resign.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #1173
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
As for replacements, the #1 name on most people's minds is Norm Chow but I doubt it happens because a) UH wouldn't/couldn't give him the salary he will ask for b) I think he holds a grudge for being passed over for Fred Von Appen way back when.

I honestly don't think you would want Chow. He has great ties to the Island and is a solid offensive mind, but he is horrible at dealing with people. That was a big reason he was passed over for the BYU job after Lavell retired and it also came up again at USC...He is one of those guys that is better suited to X's and O's only, and that is a very small part of being a Head Coach anymore.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #1174
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
its gotta be frazier getting axed. he doesn't have the balls to resign.

Yeah, it doesn't look good when the president of UH issues a statement about losing June Jones and ends it with the following,

Quote:
Finally, I also want to apologize to our fans and all of Hawaii for matters getting to this stage in the first place. Exceptional performance deserves exceptional recognition, and your University was slow to step up.

That won't happen again. My focus as your president is to keep the drama on the athletic field and in the stadium, where it belongs, and not at the ticket window, or in contract negotiations."

The press conference today said that there will be an announcement tomorrow concerning Herman Frazier. But for the impatient...

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap.../80107012/1314

Quote:
Frazier out as UH athletic director
Jones introduced as SMU football coach

Advertiser Staff

Herman Frazier is under contract through Aug. 31, 2010. It is not know if he will be fired with or without cause, which will determine how much the university will have to pay.
Advertiser lbrary photo

Embattled Herman Frazier is out as University of Hawai'i's athletic director, according sources familiar with the situation.
Carl Clapp, associate athletic director/administrative services, is expected
to be named interim AD.

Frazier's future with UH will be announced tomorrow, UH-Manoa chancellor Virginia Hinshaw said today following June Jones' departure as football head coach.

Jones resigned to become football head coach at Southern Methodist.

"Herman Frazier and I have met and discussed his future at UH-Manoa, and there will be announcement regarding that situation tomorrow," Hinshaw said at a press conference today.

Frazier has been under scrutiny because of his failure to land a 13th game for the football schedule, the delayed hiring of basketball coach Bob Nash, the ticketing shortage to the Sugar Bowl, and his failure to sign Jones to an extension until it was too late.

Neither Hinshaw nor University of Hawai'i President David McClain would elaborate on what tomorrow's announcement would be.

But McClain, when asked who was in charge of the football, said, "Today, Herman Frazier is the athletic director."

Frazier did not attend the press conference with UH officials.

Frazier is under contract through Aug. 31, 2010. It is not know if he will be fired with or without cause, which will determine how much the university will have to pay.

McClain apologized to Hawai'i and Warrior fans "for matters getting to this stage in the first place" after Jones made his announcement to leave for SMU.

"Exceptional performance deserves exceptional recognition, and your university was slow to step up," McClain said. "My focus as your president is to keep the drama on the athletic field and in the stadium, where it belongs, and not at the ticket window, or in contract negotiations."

"Like all of Hawai'i, I'm greatly disappointed that Coach Jones has decided to take this new opportunity at SMU," McClain said. "June has done so much for our university and our community, and we wish him every success."

McClain, who took the lead in negotiations, said he believed UH addressed Jones' concerns about plans to improve UH's athletic facilities and the football program's resources.

"We gave it our best shot, and it has been very much a team effort," McClain said. "I want to thank in particular, the fans for their outpouring of love and affection for the coach. I can tell you, he was greatly moved."

Frazier was hired as UH's 17th athletic director in August 2002.

Before arriving at UH, Frazier spent 23 years as an administrator at Arizona State. He got his first athletic director job at Alabama-Birmingham in 2000.

He is a former Olympic champion.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #1175
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I honestly don't think you would want Chow. He has great ties to the Island and is a solid offensive mind, but he is horrible at dealing with people. That was a big reason he was passed over for the BYU job after Lavell retired and it also came up again at USC...He is one of those guys that is better suited to X's and O's only, and that is a very small part of being a Head Coach anymore.

I agree but Chow is probably the biggest name UH could land and the only way he'll take a pay cut (he's getting $2 million for being OC of the Titans) is for a head coaching gig.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #1176
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think Chow is making about a million as the OC, not two million...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:41 PM   #1177
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I think Chow is making about a million as the OC, not two million...

Yep you are correct. I saw $2 million posted somewhere and didn't look it up. He's getting $1 million plus incentives.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:04 AM   #1178
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I'm not really sure I want chow coming here as a HC, maybe as an OC. I'd really rather see Cal Lee or Reinbold get a shot as Taz stated above. Reinbold preferably I think.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:05 AM   #1179
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Dola, I think my main reason is I'm such a homer for the run and shoot. I really don't want Hawaii to stop running that offense.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:47 AM   #1180
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Dola, I think my main reason is I'm such a homer for the run and shoot. I really don't want Hawaii to stop running that offense.

I guess that's why some people want Chow as the head coach with Ron Lee as OC and have them create some kind of West Coast/Run & Shoot hybrid.

Neil Everett mentioned that Chow and Kevin Gilbride are interested in the Hawaii job. I think I saw a news clip where Reinebold said he was going for the head coaching job.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #1181
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The leaked email that June Jones sent to his friends has been posted at the Honolulu Advertiser. It doesn't have the reported list of 19 things that he asked for from the athletic department but it was an interesting read.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...801080344/1001

Quote:

Text of June Jones’ e-mail to Herman Frazier on Friday Here is the full, unedited text of e-mail June Jones sent last week to Herman Frazier. Jones used ellipses (...) throughout:

Herman,

Wanted to say thank you for your offer that you forwarded to Leigh yesterday ... I was glad that we finally had something to compare with the offer SMU has made in the last few days ... I am sorry for the time sensitivity involved ... but one of the jobs when you gave Leigh permission to talk was to compare to other schools the offers involved ... unfortunately the commitment from them and the timing as always is not good for everyone in these situations ... SMU has made an offer almost double what you just sent to Leigh ... as I have said to you before it is not about money with me but this time ... I must admit it is a factor as I see this as my last contract ... but it is not the only factor ... it has been very hard the last few days thinking about the decision to leave a place that I love greatly ... but you and I have talked many times about things that have concerned me ... none of those things that concerned me were addressed in this offer ... although the past 24 hours everyone is addressing that I hope come true ... I had a great talk with the Chancellor (Virginia Hinshaw) prior to departure to the Sugar Bowl ... she is a great lady and has some ideas that will work here but I do not think it will happen in my five years and this is my last contract prior to retiring to Kona forever!!!!!!

I feel I am leaving this program in great shape ... we have players that can play for the next coach ... we should be very competitive to win another WAC Championship ... there are no really bad kids in this program ... even though some people will think me leaving is the end of the world ... you and I both know sometimes change is good ... you know this from experience ... the next guy will get everything that I have wanted as it will wake up those that have to make those decisions ...

I am dropping off a lot of things at your office that I found on my computer ... things that I have been through and written over the past nine years ... I reread all of them yesterday ... these are the only ones that I have saved and there must be 15 or 20 more that I did not save ... a lot that I have been through before you and some with you ... I am only sending these things along with my letter of resignation to you for one reason ... I know these things have to be priority for the school ... I believed them when I wrote them and they still need to be done ... and everyone needs to see the vision here ... take them for what they are worth ...

I also feel there is one thing that is very important and must be done so you can keep some continuity ... there are five coaches that I am convinced are all one of a kind people and I feel you need to extend their contracts so they can keep the transition from falling apart during this year's recruiting process ... and they will help and stabilize the exodus of some of the commitments that we already have ... these coaches need to be retained so the local connections stay strong ... without retaining what we have established here would be suicidal ... from a cost basis alone ... moving new coaches here ... finding guys that know Hawaii will be more costly to you ... and at the same time you will create some real loyalty to you as an AD as they know you do not have to do that ... all of the staff I have offered jobs to if and when I leave to SMU but KNOW they need to be in Hawaii ... and they have expressed to me they want to be here ...

The guys that need to be given a raise and extended ... are Rich Miano ... Ron Lee ... Cal Lee ... George Lumpkin ... and Jeff Reinebold ... they all are great coaches and people ... they all love Hawaii and know Hawaii and all the guys down below know them and would be fine with all of them ... by doing this you will create a positive atmosphere and you will create some unreal loyalty to you as AD and as the department which is vital right now ... as they know you do not have to do this ...

I know it is your call but I think there are really five guys that I think you should entertain as a replacement ... I have talked to them and they are interested ... I know you know a lot of people too that would be good but this place is different and unless you get someone that knows Hawaii you will take a big step backwards ...

1. Kevin Gilbride ... he knows Hawaii been here a lot but does not know like the guys below ... he is the offensive coordinator for the New York Giants ... has been a head coach at UConn and the Chargers ... Mike Cavanaugh is his brother in law and he would bring him back I am sure ... also Kevin knows the offense we are running and would continue to run it and you would not have a big drop off ...

2. Dick Tomey ... he would come and he would let Ron do the offense and would feel great about coming home ... Jeff ... Cal ... George ... and Rich he knows very well ... a lot of people here would love this choice.

3. Duane Akina ... assistant head coach at Texas ... local boy that wants to come home and his resume is a great one ... he is a great person.

4. Norm Chow ... you know his credentials ... will cost you more probably

5. Cal Lee ... local boy knows what we are doing and a winner ... Ron can continue to run offense and Cal knows Gregs stuff ... never been college head coach but is capable ...

I am heading to Dallas to meet with SMU today ... I talked to them on the phone Thursday morning for about two hours ... They have not offered me the job but Leigh said they would not have waited this long if they were not going to offer it when I get there and meet them ... this is a very hard decision for me but I feel it is best for me right now to go ... I appreciate all your support since you have gotten here and wish the University and you only the best ... I understand this puts you in a difficult situation but I know you and the school will survive and be fine ...

Thanks for your e-mail with an 11th hour new thought on the money ... Virginia did run out and grab me yesterday late as I was headed downtown and I told her to send it to Leigh, which I am sure you did ... I guess all I can say is that the way my contract talks have been handled ... is kind of the reason I am tired and why I just need to go ... all I can say is it a generous offer and if you or the higher ups had come to me with this offer before they HAD to make it ... it would have meant a lot to me ... had this offer come after the bowl game last year or even before the season ... or had it come to me as late as the Washington game it would have said to me ... "thanks June for a job well done" ... there would have been no negotiating ... and it would have said we want to do something for you because we see what you have done and accomplished ... I probably would have signed it and never let it get to this point ... and don't get me wrong here they all want me to stay I know ... and I know they all are good people ... but this is reactionary instead of visionary ...

But the fact of the matter is all of a sudden today people are running around trying to get this done at the last minute when SMU shows interest (in) me ... this just confirms to me and the system and the people that make these decisions don't really get it ... this past day they are all of a sudden saying all of the right things ... but actions speak louder than words ... I have sacrificed a lot these past nine years ... I made some bad decisions and fought some fights that were hard ones ... but I feel I made a lot of good decisions, too ... what we have accomplished I want to remember it that way ... let someone else fight the fights and live another day ...

I am tired ... I have been blessed to make the living I have and do it for the people of Hawaii whom I love ... it has been a blessing ... after 9 years this is a very difficult thing for me to do ... my closest friends in my life who I feel are my brothers and have kept me here ... they are family to me are not wanting me to go ... Artie ... Wesley ... Tony and Al talked to me for 4 hours last night ... John I call in Kona daily ... but I am worn out ... burnt out ... and just need to get revitalized with a new challenge and let someone else take what we have started and get it done ... and it can be done!!!! ... decisions have to be made quickly and need to be done correctly ... if the things that people are saying are really going to happen ... then it will keep going in the right direction ... I believe the next coach will be listened to more and the President and Chancellor and the Department will help in all the areas that need to be helped ... Hawaii will always have my heart and that is why this is so hard for me ... but just the fact I am going to get on that plane to Dallas today says it all ... it is time for me to do what I have never chosen to do before ... do what is best for me and my family for the future ... I do not want to go ... believe me ... but it is just time to go ...

Mahalo June

Just when I thought I couldn't feel worse about the situation.

As for the candidates mentioned to replace him, I have to say Kevin Gilbride jumps to the top of my list if he is able to bring Mike Cavanaugh with him. If he brings Cavanuagh and keeps the Lee brothers and Reinebold I would be happy with that staff.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #1182
Logan
Head Coach

I think that was a pretty classy email.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #1183
Izulde
Head Coach

I really wish the Ravens wouldn't have drafted him the pick before mine in the 4th round after reading that email What a class act.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #1184
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Good read ... also reassuring to know that someone else loves the ... as much as I do
Old 01-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #1185
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Posted on: Tuesday, January 8, 2008 3:25 PM HST
UH to buy out Frazier's contract

Star-Bulletin Staff
[email protected]

The University of Hawaii is buying out Herman Frazier's contract, ending his controversial tenure as the UH athletic director.
"The University of Hawaii at Manoa and Herman Frazier recognize that in the best interests of the athletics program, UH Manoa will buy out Mr. Frazier’s contract which expires on July 31, 2010, for the sum of $312,510, in accordance with his Appointment Agreement," according to a news release from the UH.
"The details of the agreement are yet to be finalized and require the approval of the Board of Regents.
"Manoa Chancellor Virginia Hinshaw intends to recommend to the Board the appointment of Associate Athletics Director Carl Clapp as Acting Athletic Director. Until the Board acts, Clapp will be handling the day-to-day operations of the Athletics Department, including working with the administration to secure a new head football coach," the announcement says.

$312,510?? I would have thought the University had cause to fire. That money could have bought some carpet.

In head coaching search news, earlier today in Stephen Tsai's blog he mentioned why not go after Greg McMackin. Dave Reardon then posted the following this afternoon.

Quote:
At this point, there is quite a bit of support among influential people for Keith Amemiya as AD and Greg McMackin as coach.
I’ve been told McMackin is interested in the job, though he won’t campaign for it.
June Jones told us McMackin originally intended to join him at SMU. But that appears to be not set in stone right now.

Someone who knows Norm Chow very well says he would be a long shot. Amemiya, however, is close to Chow and if anyone could get him if would be him, maybe with an assist from childhood friends Cal and Ron Lee, if the Lees felt it was in the best interest of their friend. The Lees are also very supportive of McMackin.

No one thought McMackin was a possibility until today because we all thought he would join June. Now Greg McMackin seems to be getting a lot of support from Hawaii fans. I am not sure if McMackin would be a good head coach. I see him as more of an x's and o's type of guy like Norm Chow.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #1186
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
$312,510?? I would have thought the University had cause to fire. That money could have bought some carpet.

In head coaching search news, earlier today in Stephen Tsai's blog he mentioned why not go after Greg McMackin. Dave Reardon then posted the following this afternoon.

No one thought McMackin was a possibility until today because we all thought he would join June. Now Greg McMackin seems to be getting a lot of support from Hawaii fans. I am not sure if McMackin would be a good head coach. I see him as more of an x's and o's type of guy like Norm Chow.

I'm not sure about Mack as a HC either.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #1187
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

lol, one thing I noticed about the Herman Frazier thing was this

"Frazier was given the option of resigning or being fired. He chose to be fired, meaning he gets a year's salary as severance package"

just thought it was funny.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:51 PM   #1188
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm not sure about Mack as a HC either.

Well, he's a better choice than this guy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3187261

Quote:
Former Michigan State coach John L. Smith, who runs a wide-open offense similar to Jones', is among those being considered for the Hawaii job.

"With 18 years of collegiate head coaching experience and over 130 wins, I would hope that would qualify me as a candidate to be the next head coach at the University of Hawaii," Smith told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from his home in Louisville, Ky.

Smith, who was fired following the 2006 season after compiling a 22-26 record with the Spartans, said he couldn't wait to get back to college football.

"I think I could bring high energy and an unsurpassed work ethic to help keep Hawaii at the top of the WAC," he said. "I've had experience recruiting Hawaii, and also Samoa along with of course, the West Coast and the rest of the country."

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #1189
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

hahahahaha, the Hawaii fans would hate the university so much if he got hired.

there is no chance he will even get an interview.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #1190
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3188045

USC coach Pete Carroll is interested in the Atlanta Falcons' head coach opening and is expected to speak with Atlanta owner Arthur Blank via phone Wednesday, sources at the American Football Coaches Convention in Anaheim told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Blank is expected to offer full control of personnel decisions to Carroll and the sources said that is what intrigues Carroll most. Carroll is currently on vacation in Hawaii.

The Falcons' interest in talking to Carroll about their opening was first reported Tuesday night by ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli.

Carroll, who has previously been a head coach in the NFL with the New York Jets and New England Patriots, is the biggest name on the list of Atlanta candidates.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #1191
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Carroll is in Hawaii, eh?

Barring a snag, it sounds like Greg McMackin will be named the new head coach of Hawaii next week. I'm not even sure if they've interviewed anyone else but McMackin seems to have support from the boosters, assistants coaches, and fans.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #1192
MJ4H
Coordinator

Doesn't necessarily belong in this thread, but the subject was brought up much earlier here, so why not. Certainly not "its own thread-worthy."

Ryan Mallett is, according to sources, visiting Arkansas this weekend. He must not have watched much ESPN.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #1193
Blade6119
Coordinator

He watched enough to know Petrino is a pro style QB coach who doesnt love the options he has in place. Really, its a perfect fit for him. SEC school, famous qb guru, pro style offense, lack of QBs. Its ideal for what he wants.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #1194
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Ryan Mallett is, according to sources, visiting Arkansas this weekend. He must not have watched much ESPN.

Then again, he's also being reported as bound for Tennessee if his former OC & QB coach end up going to Knoxville.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #1195
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yes that is a possibility as is UCLA and Texas A&M.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #1196
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Doesn't necessarily belong in this thread, but the subject was brought up much earlier here, so why not. Certainly not "its own thread-worthy."

He grew up in Arkansas and has always been a big fan. In fact if Mustain wasnt there he may have went there from the beginning. He will either go home or follow Loeffler, I would be shocked if anything else happened. Whatever happens I wish him well and hope he gets things turned around.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #1197
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3188045

USC coach Pete Carroll is interested in the Atlanta Falcons' head coach opening and is expected to speak with Atlanta owner Arthur Blank via phone Wednesday, sources at the American Football Coaches Convention in Anaheim told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Blank is expected to offer full control of personnel decisions to Carroll and the sources said that is what intrigues Carroll most. Carroll is currently on vacation in Hawaii.

The Falcons' interest in talking to Carroll about their opening was first reported Tuesday night by ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli.

Carroll, who has previously been a head coach in the NFL with the New York Jets and New England Patriots, is the biggest name on the list of Atlanta candidates.

I was reading a Pete Carroll thread on a Hawaii messageboard and someone mentioned that Pete could be leaving because of this "Tainted Heisman" book that is coming out. From a quick googling it looks like it is going to be about the Reggie Bush allegations.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #1198
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I was reading a Pete Carroll thread on a Hawaii messageboard and someone mentioned that Pete could be leaving because of this "Tainted Heisman" book that is coming out. From a quick googling it looks like it is going to be about the Reggie Bush allegations.
Yeah, I've though for a while now that Pete was going to leave soon based off of the stuff that was coming out about Reggie Bush. He really doesn't have anything left to prove at USC, and if he harbors any desire for another shot in the NFL his stock probably isn't going to get much higher than it already is.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:09 AM   #1199
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Mallet should be a done deal to arkansas sometime this week, fwiw. Petrino plus the fact that UA finished a very close second for his signature the first time around.

also . . .

Quote:
I guess that's why some people want Chow as the head coach with Ron Lee as OC and have them create some kind of West Coast/Run & Shoot hybrid.

This is what you have now, or did have last week. The pure run and shoot is completely obsolete these days thanks to the proliferations of speed rushers and zone blitzes, and whatnot. Jones made changes in the original formula to keep the QB safer, including much more out of the 3 step drop, and a varied screen game much like Mike Leach's.

It'll still be eaten alive by the best defenses, as evidenced by the Sugar Bowl, but it's a hell of a lot better than the shit they were running back in the 80s.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:40 AM   #1200
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Word is leaking that long-time Purdue head coach Joe Tiller will be announcing he is retiring at the end of the upcoming 2008 season. Former Purdue offensive line coach and current Eastern Kentucky head coach Danny Hope will be hired on this season as an assistant and the new head coach-in-waiting. Rumor also has it that long-time defensive coordinator Brock Spack will be leaving the Purdue staff to make room for Hope.