Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #1151
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

How about.... *NOW*?

Don't get me wrong- those three alone will keep me busy for a long time but I realize they're not for everyone.

The Wii, well- that's a pretty darn good lineup coming down the pipes and they've needed that for a year or so now.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #1152
MJ4H
Coordinator

Hell, I might even buy a 360 soon, too.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #1153
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Here's some footage of the Rock Band 3 real guitar controller in action. This should quiet some of the "it's not a real instrument" criticism of the game. (some NSFW language in the vid)

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 06-16-2010 at 12:45 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #1154
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm curious about that, particularly the pricing, how good the tutorials are, and if it works for the Wii.

SI

Old 06-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #1155
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Gimme.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #1156
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yeah Rock Band 3 = MIND BLOWN
Old 06-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #1157
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

drool
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #1158
MJ4H
Coordinator

NBA Jam Wii looks so sweet

Old 06-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #1159
SackAttack
Head Coach

Welp guess I'm upgrading all my Rock Band instruments.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #1160
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Looks like old school NBA Jam only updated 2 generations forward in graphics and some minor tweaks to gameplay. Sign me up!

SI

Old 06-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #1161
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Looks like old school NBA Jam only updated 2 generations forward in graphics and some minor tweaks to gameplay. Sign me up!

SI

Yep, looks sweet!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #1162
MJ4H
Coordinator

Loving the hybrid 2D/3D gameplay of Metroid, too.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #1163
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Here's some footage of the Rock Band 3 real guitar controller in action. This should quiet some of the "it's not a real instrument" criticism of the game. (some NSFW language in the vid)

This is pretty awesome - merging Rock Band gameplay with actually teaching you how to play a real guitar is genius. Hopefully it actually does a good job with the teaching part, but the potential is fantastic.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #1164
Groundhog
Coordinator

Just heard that there is going to be a new Shogun: Total War. Best news I've heard in a long time. Takeda 3 filled the void nicely, but it doesn't seem to run in Windows 7...
Old 06-17-2010, 01:04 AM   #1165
digamma
Torchbearer

I went to an E3 party tonight a friend was putting on...some of the buzz (I didn't go to E3 and don't know much about this stuff, I was just seeing a college buddy)...

-3DS was super cool to demo

-New Zelda is fun, but not great.

-Homeland or Heartland (can't remember the name, but the game about Korea invading the US) looks incredible.

-Graphics on NCAA 2011 look awesome.

-The Sprint Evo 4G phone is really good.

-The IGN Video Girl is super hot.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:05 AM   #1166
spleen1015
Coordinator

Does anyone know if they are going to have a regular button configuration for the new Zelda? I don't want to play it is the control scheme is all motion. I want to be able to play without all of the motion BS.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #1167
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like the rumors were true. Kinect priced at $149. I guess we know why MS didn't mention a price point at E3 now.

Kinect priced at GameStop: $149, $399 for Elite bundle -- Engadget

This is totally puzzling. Why did MS redesign the 360 without a stabilizer on the disc drive? One of the big complaints behind RROD has been the scratched discs and a stable disc drive like what they have in the PS3 and Wii would have easily solved this problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdOjzuJByXg
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #1168
MJ4H
Coordinator

3DS to Allow the Dumping of Games to Internal Memory

June 17, 2010 at 7:36 PDT – Source: Andriasang
Discuss it in TalkBack! - 3 Comments

It looks like you won't have to swap cartridges any more.

In a move that mimics the Xbox 360's ability to install games to its hard drive, Nikkei is reporting that Nintendo's 3DS system will allow users to copy cartridge-based games to internal memory.
Once a game is "dumped" to the system's memory, it can be launched by selecting it from a menu listing the games stored on the system. Users will no longer have to carry their cartridges with them on the road in order to play multiple games.
Nintendo has yet to discuss this feature, so we'll have to wait and see if there are any caveats.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #1169
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post

Obviously just a rumor at this point, but I'd definitely upgrade if it had that feature (as long as the price doesn't see a significant increase).
Old 06-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #1170
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Looks like the rumors were true. Kinect priced at $149. I guess we know why MS didn't mention a price point at E3 now.

Not a bad price considering you don't have to buy controllers for it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #1171
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

post deleted by author

Last edited by tyketime : 06-17-2010 at 03:39 PM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #1172
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post

June 17, 2010 at 7:36 PDT – Source: Andriasang
Discuss it in TalkBack! - 3 Comments

It looks like you won't have to swap cartridges any more.

In a move that mimics the Xbox 360's ability to install games to its hard drive, Nikkei is reporting that Nintendo's 3DS system will allow users to copy cartridge-based games to internal memory.
Once a game is "dumped" to the system's memory, it can be launched by selecting it from a menu listing the games stored on the system. Users will no longer have to carry their cartridges with them on the road in order to play multiple games.
Nintendo has yet to discuss this feature, so we'll have to wait and see if there are any caveats.

I'm curious what kind of DRM would be in place to keep people from renting games, dumping them to the internal memory, and then returning them. Either some seriously limited memory, or maybe it'd disable the cartridge until after the dump gets deleted from the 3DS.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #1173
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Gabe Newell comes out and does a little self deprecating humor (I loved his line about Butler being the "VP of sharpening objects" or something like that) before showing Portal 2 coming to PS3.

There's big news with this as well. A version of Steam is apparently coming to the PS3 which means Valve will be able to get it's DLC out for free on PS3s. This means Microsoft won't be able force Valve into charging for it's DLC on their console.

Valve found a way to get what they wanted all along. Free DLC for everyone.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #1174
RainMaker
General Manager

$149 for the Kinect seems fair considering what it opens the system up to do. Especially when you look at what's being charged for other peripherals on the consoles. My guess is that it's down to $99 the following year.

I'll be picking it up and I'm guessing they'll sell a shit-ton of these at that price.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-17-2010 at 06:30 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #1175
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Say what you will, but I am absolutely blown away that they are making games that aren't just mini game collections/fitness products for the Kinect considering the damn thing can't be played sitting down. They almost had me hooked right up until that part. I stand on my feet enough at work/doing house and yard work. I really don't need to stand in front of my TV during leisure time.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #1176
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'll be picking it up and I'm guessing they'll sell a shit-ton of these at that price.

And I'll be FLOORED if you're correct. The backlash at that price has been negative thus far.

FWIW.......I don't think Sony's option will do any better for the same reason. $100+ is just way too expensive for either option. $150 is borderline insane. These things have Sega CD written all over them.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #1177
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I was thinking more like 32X than Sega CD, but yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
I'm curious what kind of DRM would be in place to keep people from renting games, dumping them to the internal memory, and then returning them. Either some seriously limited memory, or maybe it'd disable the cartridge until after the dump gets deleted from the 3DS.

I share your curiosity. It will be nice not having to bring a few different cases/cards with me whenever I take a trip if this report is true. In a recent interview with Miyamoto he evaded a question on this reported function.

Last edited by Big Fo : 06-18-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #1178
spleen1015
Coordinator

I picked up ModNation Racers with Sony Reward points and got it in the mail yesterday.

It is pretty damn neat if you like this style of game. Playing online is pretty easy and quick. The modding is cool, lots of different options for you character and your kart.

Did anyone else pick this up?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #1179
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
And I'll be FLOORED if you're correct. The backlash at that price has been negative thus far.

FWIW.......I don't think Sony's option will do any better for the same reason. $100+ is just way too expensive for either option. $150 is borderline insane. These things have Sega CD written all over them.
I don't see it being too expensive. People are dishing out over $100 on peripherals that can only be used on one game. I don't see why one that really pushes technology and has more games available would not work.

I think the issue isn't price, but logistics of owning one. That'll be the bigger factor when all is said and done. Along with the quality of games available. Price has not been the issue if the product is good in the video game industry.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #1180
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
And MBBF has been a regular Amazing Kreshkin will all of his other predictions on this board.

Last edited by cartman : 06-18-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #1181
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I picked up ModNation Racers with Sony Reward points and got it in the mail yesterday.

It is pretty damn neat if you like this style of game. Playing online is pretty easy and quick. The modding is cool, lots of different options for you character and your kart.

Did anyone else pick this up?

Have you played some user created tracks yet? Some great stuff out there that really adds to the game. The creation tool and its ease of use is really something that other developers should look at for ideas.

I was a bit disappointed in the single player career/story mode just because it's not terribly deep, but there is still plenty of gameplay in it.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #1182
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really excited about the new physics and damage engines in Gran Turismo 5. Looking very nice.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #1183
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
And MBBF has been a regular Amazing Kreshkin will all of his other predictions on this board.

So do you have an opinion on the motion controllers or are you just trolling?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #1184
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah. It's not like other games have had damage modeling for years, dating back to the previous generation...

Oh, and actual racing!
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #1185
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I don't see it being too expensive. People are dishing out over $100 on peripherals that can only be used on one game. I don't see why one that really pushes technology and has more games available would not work.

I think the issue isn't price, but logistics of owning one. That'll be the bigger factor when all is said and done. Along with the quality of games available. Price has not been the issue if the product is good in the video game industry.

Price has absolutely been an issue. The industry has a long history of accessories that have cost over the $50-60 price range that fail miserably. There was an article in the past that detailed the overwhelming odds against a $60+ accessory having any real commercial success. If I can find it, I'll add it to this thread.

There's no real technology being pushed here. The Sony controller is an updated version of the Wii controller system. Natal is an updated version of what the Playstation Eye was doing a generation ago.

Even the support that the PS3 is providing to add Move functionality to old games won't help its case. People want something new, not just a new way to play something old.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-18-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #1186
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Yeah. It's not like other games have had damage modeling for years, dating back to the previous generation...

Oh, and actual racing!

I don't think you'll find any arguments regarding the damage modeling. The racing AI has also needed some work. It's still a fantastic series. I'm sure this one will do well too. I'm really looking forward to the NASCAR license and what they can do with it.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #1187
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
So do you have an opinion on the motion controllers or are you just trolling?

On cue, here comes the persecution complex!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #1188
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
On cue, here comes the persecution complex!

Well when you lead off with:

Quote:

After he gives a perfectly reasonable opinion... Seriously, MBBF has made his share of personal biased fueled statements over the years, but you aren't encouraging decent discourse by jumping on the dude when he has a well formulated opinion that you may/may not agree with.

Bottom line for me, developers aren't going to develop enough good games for either accessory to make it a good buy a year from now. Why use the money/time to develop a current/next generation game around these accessories that are not in many homes yet, when you can develop a last generation tech. game on the system that is in most homes that has a similar capability already?

If you have the ability to pick which system to design for to sell your game, it is almost a no brainer.

Edit: And then there is the alternative that some games will just add on mini-games and such to make use of the technology. Which won't make the accessory purchase worth it either.

Last edited by Tigercat : 06-18-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #1189
cartman
Death Herald

He does give opinions, and they have consistently been borne out to be off base. Until that track record changes, it is hard to take them with any reasonable amount of seriousness, and it is amusing that he acts amazed if people don't buy into his observations.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #1190
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Bottom line for me, developers aren't going to develop enough good games for either accessory to make it a good buy a year from now. Why use the money/time to develop a current/next generation game around these accessories that are not in many homes yet, when you can develop a last generation tech. game on the system that is in most homes that has a similar capability already?

If you have the ability to pick which system to design for to sell your game, it is almost a no brainer.

Edit: And then there is the alternative that some games will just add on mini-games and such to make use of the technology. Which won't make the accessory purchase worth it either.

This.

I expect to see a lot of 'Carnival Games HD' for these accessories. Cheap to make with low risk. And for the big games that are adapted to support these accessories, the functionality will feel 'tacked on', which has been a complaint on some Wii games. I suspect that feeling will be magnified on the HD consoles.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #1191
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Gamestop is running b2g1 on used.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #1192
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Price has absolutely been an issue. The industry has a long history of accessories that have cost over the $50-60 price range that fail miserably. There was an article in the past that detailed the overwhelming odds against a $60+ accessory having any real commercial success. If I can find it, I'll add it to this thread.

There's no real technology being pushed here. The Sony controller is an updated version of the Wii controller system. Natal is an updated version of what the Playstation Eye was doing a generation ago.

Even the support that the PS3 is providing to add Move functionality to old games won't help its case. People want something new, not just a new way to play something old.
I guess I look at Rock Band and Guitar Hero and wonder where this pricing issue comes in. People are willing to pay over $100 for a peripheral for one game.

The Playstation Eye is nothing like the Kinect. The Eye is basically just a webcam. The Kinect is a webcam with an infrared camera that can sense depth. That's like saying the iPhone is just an updated version of some phone Motorola released 5 years ago.

The games that worked with the Eye did nothing close to what the games made for the Kinect are doing. Make the excuse that people won't want to play those kind of games, but saying this isn't something new is plain wrong.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #1193
rjolley
College Starter

Has anyone seen the new 360's in stores or know of any deals on them?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #1194
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post

I want one but don't have one. I'm really thinking about selling my Elite on Craigslist to get it... stay tuned

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #1195
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:

A buddy of mine took in his current 360 along with a few games/peripherals earlier this week, thinking to get store credit towards one of the new 250gb 360s. He was advised by the person at Gamestop to wait until the new ones actually came in, and it was stated that he would get a better deal then, though he wasn't given any details. This would imply that Gamestop will be running some sort of deal for people looking to upgrade. Unfortunately I don't have any more details just yet on how this works, but when I do hear something more I'll be sure to post it here.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #1196
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I guess I look at Rock Band and Guitar Hero and wonder where this pricing issue comes in. People are willing to pay over $100 for a peripheral for one game.

The Playstation Eye is nothing like the Kinect. The Eye is basically just a webcam. The Kinect is a webcam with an infrared camera that can sense depth. That's like saying the iPhone is just an updated version of some phone Motorola released 5 years ago.

The games that worked with the Eye did nothing close to what the games made for the Kinect are doing. Make the excuse that people won't want to play those kind of games, but saying this isn't something new is plain wrong.

Rock Band/GH is the exception rather than the rule.

You're incorrect about the camera. You can call it an upgrade (as I did) or an evolution of the PS Eye, but it's certainly nothing new. Adding a third dimension of movement and little else isn't going to create a demand for a $150 accessory.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #1197
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
A buddy of mine took in his current 360 along with a few games/peripherals earlier this week, thinking to get store credit towards one of the new 250gb 360s. He was advised by the person at Gamestop to wait until the new ones actually came in, and it was stated that he would get a better deal then, though he wasn't given any details. This would imply that Gamestop will be running some sort of deal for people looking to upgrade. Unfortunately I don't have any more details just yet on how this works, but when I do hear something more I'll be sure to post it here.

They always run upgrade specials when new models come out. They usually toss an extra $40-50 onto the trade-in price to get you to purchase the new console.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #1198
Voo
Mascot

Quote:

I picked one up at my local Best Buy today.
Voo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #1199
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post

Basically an old 360 with a hard drive, and an ethernet adapter gets you 170 dollars in store credit. details are on gamestop.com.

Basically an upgrade for 130 if you have the ethernet, or 170 if you don't.

Last edited by stevew : 06-18-2010 at 02:53 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #1200
rjolley
College Starter

So they're in stores? Ok, I'll go take a look and use some reward certificates.

Still, would be nice to get a deal with a free game or something...
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote