Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-21-2007, 01:14 AM   #1201
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:28 AM   #1202
korme
Go Reds

To each their own indeed.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:45 AM   #1203
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Well, I average a movie a week and haven't added my thoughts in some time, so here's a rundown of movies I have seen that are still drawing at the box office (according to RottenTomatoes).

The Simpsons Movie (6/10) I thought this was relatively blah, and I am a longtime Simpsons fan. It had some moments, but really was only a bit better than current episodes, and a good deal less than it was at the height of its heyday. Still, I enjoyed it enough as a fan.

Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix (8/10) Surprised this was still in any theaters. Is it possible to judge this outside of the books? I saw this before reading the book, and I enjoyed it a lot. I loved the action, and the darker feel of the story, and put it as the best movie yet. I have sicne read the book, and the rest of the series. This hasn't diminished my good vibe from this movie, which largely held true to the book, but it's hard for me to look back on it now, having read the book, and remember how I felt about it coming out of the theater and not yet knowing the fate of Potter and his ilk.

The Kingdom (6/10) As a straight action film, I suppose I could move it up to a 7, as it entertains as that. As a statement movie about the political tensions in the Middle East, though, I think it overshot itself by a good bit. Even knowing the tendencies of action movies, BTW, it's beyond unbelievable how few enemy bullets find their mark in good guys. A Rambo movie would be embarrassed to have such a low bullet to blood ratio.

The Bourne Ultimatum (8/10) I thought this one moved the series much back to the feel of the original, which I enjoyed very much. There's a formula to these things. Conspiracy and deep-pocketed governemnt foes, a spy who can never be found or beaten, exotic locales and success against tremendous odds. Well, it works for me. I always liked Damon in this role. Nothing surprises, because this follows the previously set formula to a tee, but it's a fun ride.

Gone Baby Gone (8/10) I felt robbed by this one because I discovered the story is based on the fourth book in Lehane's series. Why not start with the first one? Could have been a good chance to have a nice thriller series with characters I enjoyed. Maybe the ones before this sucked? Anyway, this movie was an edge-of-your-seater whodunit kidnap caper, and as I said, the main characters were IMO likable (the good, good ones, there are a lot of flawed characters in here who are not much likable). Even the not so good guys, though, are well acted and drawn out. And this one actually surprises, because at the end it leaves you with an ethical dilemma that sticks with you long after you leave the theater. It was worth the time and money spent in the theater.

Michael Clayton (9/10) I started my own thread for this movie way back when. Not going to rehash much of that here except to reiterate that Clooney was brilliant. Some have said they were bored by it, but I was drawn in from the beginning and enjoyed every step of it. Doesn't apologize for its ugly view of the world, which can be a tough pill to swallow some days. But the dialogue was very well done and the acting was all around excellent. If you can follow the story (it can be a little difficult with all the legal ligno flying around), you will be rewarded.

No Country For Old Men (7/10) Okay, a lot of people who think they are smarter than me (and probably they are) love this movie. It's the same sort of people that say Children of Men is brilliant, another IMO flawed movie with some good characteristics. This is the same. The characters are exquisitely drawn out and well-acted. Some terrific dialogue in this one. The bad guy (well, the baddest baddie) is scarier than the boogeyman and just about as unstoppable. But at some point late in the movie you're asking yourself why you took this ride? Why did the movie makers make you care about anyone in this (and they do)? And then they sorta leave you hanging, searching for an answer with finality. I guess the Coen brothers made this for ultra-smart-people who have it all figured it out. I must not make the cut because I only wanted to know why it couldn't have ended with more answers than questions.

American Gangster (8/10) Denzel is always Denzel. No matter what character. Let's face it. He picks some good movies, flashes his smile and a wink and does his thing. And it works, because, well, we like him that way. I do anyway. So I'm not going to say his performance is great or this movie as a crime movie as any greater than some of the other crime movies I have seen. But I still enjoyed it, because I like crime movies and Russell Crowe actually does transform himself into his character and make me forget he's Russell Crowe. That alone is worth the trip. So don't expect Departed, Good Fellas, Godfather. But it's good if you're into the genre.

Beowulf (7/10) I swear for the first 15 minutes I assumed we got some animated short lead-in to the movie before I realized that's how they intend to show the entire movie. Once I got past that odd experience (as well as the obvious 3D moments, which are always odd and out of place when you're not seeing it in 3D), it was passable fare. Plus, if you like Angelina Jolie, you won't be disappointed. I mean if you like Angelina Jolie. Sometimes she's a little over the top for me in general (not just in this movie), but, damn, gotta give it up for a body like that. Anyway, it ended up being a decent enough action movie.

Enchanted (8/10) This is just a fun movie. Yeah, it qualifies as anywhere from a chick flick to a kiddie flick, but you can't help but smile through at least half of this. And it makes a lot of fun of the genre of animated princess fairy tales as it goes along without going too nuts with the jokes. The princess is suitably beautiful and well played (tough to pull off wide-eyed wonder and naivete, IMO, which is why I always thought what's-her-face from Friends who played Phoebe was the best actress in that series), and McDreamy at least sometimes makes you forget he;s supposed to be some huge Hollywood heart throb. It's predicatble, of course, but if you go to this expecting surprises, you probably need to re-assess what you're supposed to be surprised by.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #1204
Calis
College Starter

Went and saw No Country for Old Men Wednesday night and thought it was fantastic. One of my favorites of the year. Superb acting job almost all around, except Woody Harrelson who I really have a hard time stomaching.

I'm a little biased because I'm a huge Cormac McCarthy fan and couldn't wait for this one to come out. I think the Coen brothers did an outstanding job adapting this for the screen, and it wasn't easy because the end of the book is so off the wall and jarring.

I can definitely see people being put off with the end, but I think it works pretty well for the message of the movie.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:56 AM   #1205
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Now I'm gonna make him sit through House of the Dead.

House of the Dead - 3.5/10

I'm being waaaay generous here, but some parts were mildly entertaining. I get scared easily and this movie didn't even make me jump. We saw some behind the scenes features and I see why this movie was so low budget.. they hired production assistants as some of the zombies and training was a day of paintball. In between scenes they had footage of the computer game... yup, the computer game! Out of all the cast, maybe 2 actors were halfway decent.. but boy was it bad.

If you're gonna rent it, do it for the eye candy and boobies because there were lots of 'em.

Last edited by Lorena : 11-24-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:54 PM   #1206
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints (2006) - More LeBeouf! Wow, what a movie. This is one of those movies that goes from his teenage years in Astoria to returning to the city he was raised in present day, 89 to 2005. The main character is played by Shia LeBeouf and Robert Downey Jr. It stories growing up in the lower class and the problems that come with it. I thought it was great. 8.5/10

Finally rented this one, and i loved it. Very powerful, surprisingly powerful as the story is fairly basic. I found myself caring about each character. It's a 9\10 for me, a mus buy. Brilliant.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:36 PM   #1207
korme
Go Reds

No Country For Old Men (2007) - Pretty good movie, much more simpler in the way of how the movie progressed as opposed to some of the others I have seen in theatres lately... this makes for the third initially limited-release movie I've seen in a about a month. Javier Bardem makes one hell of a psychotic murderer. He plays the character very well, a man who gets his kicks it seems with killing, and then carries on as though nothing has happened. Only two complaints, without giving away too much: at times, I had to question Brolin's motive, and the ending caught me by surprise. Not how, but when. 8/10
Old 11-27-2007, 08:43 PM   #1208
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Pretty much standard for a Uwe Boll movie.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:13 PM   #1209
miked
College Starter

Smokin Aces 3/10, I should've read through this thread thoroughly. It was a truly truly truly truly bad movie.

Apocalypto 6/10. I actually thought this was a decent movie, but could've done with a little less. Looking back on Mel Gibson movies, this has apparently become the standard. I think he truly has some issues though, as these films just keep getting more unneccessarily graphic. I don't think Trey Parker and Matt Stone are that far off in their assessment. Liked the story, just thought it was all a bit much, and I'm usually not that way.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #1210
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hostel 2 - 6/10 Well, you know me.. I love these types of movies!

I would give Hostel a 7/10.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 11-27-2007 at 09:19 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #1211
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

I'm being waaaay generous here, but some parts were mildly entertaining. I get scared easily and this movie didn't even make me jump. We saw some behind the scenes features and I see why this movie was so low budget.. they hired production assistants as some of the zombies and training was a day of paintball. In between scenes they had footage of the computer game... yup, the computer game! Out of all the cast, maybe 2 actors were halfway decent.. but boy was it bad.

If you're gonna rent it, do it for the eye candy and boobies because there were lots of 'em.

My favorite part of the movie is when they splice in what is basically an entire montage of the movie to that point compressed into about 2 minutes... the strangest thing I have ever seen... along with throwing in video game footage between scenes inexplicably.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:14 AM   #1212
Lorena
Unregistered

And next on my bad movies list:

Empire of the Ants - 6.3/10

Giant killer ants... that's all you need to know. The one thing that stuck in my head though were those giant, harry tentacles... but other than that, a pretty forgettable movie.

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter - 7.8/10 (Thanks MikeVic!!!!)

Oh.my.God... what a movie! The first part of it was kind of meh, but when Mexican wrestler Santo (which means Saint in Spanish) showed up to help, all hell broke loose for the vampires! You have a balding Jesus Christ killing vampires with toothpicks and a toilet plunger! The acting isn't the best (it is, after all a B movie) but the fight scenes were so ridiculous it made the movie laughable. We saw a bit of the behind the scenes and it was filmed in Ottawa with a $30,000 budget.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:27 AM   #1213
Butter
Coordinator

Enchanted

I'll give it an 8.

But I really wanted to post about this movie to mention that I have a new Hollywood crush... Amy Adams. Great performance, and great beauty.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #1214
korme
Go Reds

Inside Man (2006) - It's been nearly 8 years since I've seen a Spike Lee movie, so I didn't have any expectations going in. There was a lot of style and some obviously predictable things going on for this bank heist, but there was a bit of a twist and enough good things to keep me interested through 2 hours. I'm curious to see what others had problems with as it got 6's in this thread iirc. I'll give it a solid 7.5/10
Old 12-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #1215
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Inside Man (2006) - It's been nearly 8 years since I've seen a Spike Lee movie, so I didn't have any expectations going in. There was a lot of style and some obviously predictable things going on for this bank heist, but there was a bit of a twist and enough good things to keep me interested through 2 hours. I'm curious to see what others had problems with as it got 6's in this thread iirc. I'll give it a solid 7.5/10

I couldn't remember what I gave it, so I looked back. I originally gave the movie a 7, and now I'd probably upgrade it to an 8. One reason I don't like reviewing movies right after I watch them is because a lot of times my opinion either gets higher or lower of a movie after I had time to think about i, and after I saw it a second time, I thought more highly of it.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #1216
Lorena
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Not movies, but we've been renting The Wire via Netflix and have caught up to Season 3.

Season 1 - 9.5

Season 2 - 9.3

Season 3 - 9.8 - Holy shit, talk about the unexpected.

It truly is an awesome show (Thanks CT!). It's more than just nudity, lesbianism, gun fights, drugs, or prostitution, it's about the comradery between cops and the ruthless tactics by the bad guys. It builds up on previous seasons so you can't just start at season 2 or 3. Great characters, lots of LOL and WTF moments.

The Wire people, rent it and be entertained.

Last edited by Lorena : 12-16-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #1217
Logan
Head Coach

Simply the best show ever made. I'm getting my roommate into it and we just finished the first episode of Season 2. I can't wait til we get to Season 3.

That said, Season 5 can't come soon enough.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:21 PM   #1218
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Did The Wire get better after season 1 or something? I remember watching most (I think) of season 1 and thought it was a decent show but not blown away.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #1219
sabotai
General Manager

I still like The Shield more, but I thought The Wire was really good. I thought Seasons 2 and 3 were better than the first season, but not all that better. I'd give Season 1 an 8.5, and seasons 2 and 3 a 9.0.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #1220
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am Legend 9.8/10

This movie was really incredable and unexpected. I don't wanna give anything away but go see this movie. It is one of the tensed I have even been during a movie, it was actualy stressful.

Spoiler
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #1221
Johnny93g
College Starter

I am Legend 7/10

Lathum, curious as to why you think it is so great. The first 2/3 of the flick were very good, but the last 20 minutes or so seemed rushed. The ending was very abrubt. It was entertaining for sure, and i would tell people to see it, but it aint even close to the best thing I've seen this year.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #1222
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Freedom Writers -
9/10 I thought It was a great great movie, brought me to tears at times.
I was really suprised by this...a date of mine wanted to rent it, so we did and i expected it to be terrible. Needless to say, it was in my opinion a really great movie. Maybe its because i expected worse then nothing, but i really thought it was well done.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #1223
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I am Legend 9.8/10

This movie was really incredable and unexpected. I don't wanna give anything away but go see this movie. It is one of the tensed I have even been during a movie, it was actualy stressful.

Spoiler

Spoiler
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:55 AM   #1224
Butter
Coordinator

I am in between the 2 folks who discussed I AM LEGEND above. Thought it was very good, but agree the ending seemed too quick. Also thought it might've been better with non-CGI infected survivors.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #1225
Lorena
Unregistered

Hard Candy

I can't even rate this movie it so psychologically messed me up. Ellen Page plays a 14 year old girl who meets up with a 32 year old photographer thru the internet. There were parts of the movie where I wanted to fast forward but couldn't. Helluva movie, the kind you can only watch once.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:42 PM   #1226
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Hard Candy

I can't even rate this movie it so psychologically messed me up. Ellen Page plays a 14 year old girl who meets up with a 32 year old photographer thru the internet. There were parts of the movie where I wanted to fast forward but couldn't. Helluva movie, the kind you can only watch once.

I've never posted in this thread, but I watch a hell of a lot of movies so I guess I should join the party, right?

I thought Hard Candy was very well done. It can definitely make you feel a little weird but in general I liked it a lot.

Althought this came out a while ago, I just saw Mr. Brooks last night, and actually liked it a lot. I thought it was gonna suck, but it definitely exceeded my expectations. 8/10
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 AM   #1227
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
I've never posted in this thread, but I watch a hell of a lot of movies so I guess I should join the party, right?

I thought Hard Candy was very well done. It can definitely make you feel a little weird but in general I liked it a lot.

Althought this came out a while ago, I just saw Mr. Brooks last night, and actually liked it a lot. I thought it was gonna suck, but it definitely exceeded my expectations. 8/10

Just looked back at my review of this movie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Hard Candy
7/10

It was an interesting twist on the who pedophile/cyber-stalker as predator theme. I found some of it a bit far-fetched and over-the-top, but the two leads were excellent. I think there were 5 speaking roles in the entire movie, three of which have about a total of 3 minutes of screen time.

Ellen Page (who played Kitty Pryde in X-Men 3) was really, really impressive. I thought Patrick Wilson (who's been tabbed as Night Owl in the Watchmen movie) was excellent in a pretty thankless role. I have to say, knowing he was going to be Night Owl distracted me throughout the whole movie. (I think he'll make a great Night Owl, but he was a little young and far too fit to play him., but he had the right look and solid acting chaps).

Between the solid performances of the two leads what the director did with color in the film, there are just a ton of very vibrant primary colors throughout (I'm sure there was a rhyme or reason to them, but I'd have to watch it again to pick up the pattern), it was decent enough.

Ellen Page is fantastic. I am very much looking forward to "Juno."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #1228
Flasch186
Coordinator

Monster Squad Exempt from score

Classic from the 80's:

Wolfman's got Nards
The name.....is.....Horace

A Guide to Knowing Your Saints 7/10

Really was some weird directorial choices regarding cuts and imagery. I guess it was good but it even seemed longer than it was which is not a good sign. the acting was on point and I have always been a fan of Chazz Palmienteri and he did not disappoint.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #1229
korme
Go Reds

is that an alternate to Recognizing your saints?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #1230
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Monster Squad Exempt from score

Classic from the 80's:

Wolfman's got Nards
The name.....is.....Horace

A Guide to Knowing Your Saints 7/10

Really was some weird directorial choices regarding cuts and imagery. I guess it was good but it even seemed longer than it was which is not a good sign. the acting was on point and I have always been a fan of Chazz Palmienteri and he did not disappoint.

Wolfman's got nards, bro.....You can't fade that.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:40 PM   #1231
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
is that an alternate to Recognizing your saints?

Probably same but im at work and just guessed at the name.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-23-2007, 08:42 PM   #1232
korme
Go Reds

Mr. Brooks (2007) - I remember reviews here being fairly positive... just watched it, and nothing about it was particularly memorable. I usually find something that I like in most movies, but here, there wasn't much other than your average suspense/thriller. By the way, Dane Cook is terrible. I can't stand him as an actor. You can tell that he's "acting," they say Tom Hanks is a great actor because you can see that he is listening to what the other actors are actually saying. There were blatant scenes (in the car) where I felt the absolute opposite with Cook. I think he successfully shaved a point off of my rating - 6/10.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #1233
samifan24
Pro Starter

Waitress - The only reason I wanted to see it in the first place is because I have a huge crush on Keri Russell. It was quirky and different but not bad.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:37 PM   #1234
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Forgot about this thread:

Letters from Iwo Jima - 9/10: A side you just don't see in mainstream American cinema. Usually movie makers aren't interested in showing a foriegn side that you know will lose and having to deal with that and make a last stand. Especially when that foriegn side is the Japanese in WW2 fighting against the Americans. The story is just brilliant as is the acting. The main general, knowing that he will die, but also knowing he has to fight to the last man as best he can, inflicting as much damage as he can, was just done very well. It's a part that can make or break a movie like this and Watanabee nailed it. Eastwood has made a number of great movies since "Unforgiven", but I think this may top them all.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:09 PM   #1235
korme
Go Reds

The Family Stone (2006) - Boo. The main character SJP was unlikable. Yet, this family that had never met her had no reason to shun her and thus were also unlikable. It was an entire movie of unlikable people. If I could delve into the plot more, I would, but let's just say the last 20 minutes would never happen under any circumstances. Stay away. 1/10

Juno (2007) - A bit too much low-brow humor than I would have expected after the superb Thank You For Smoking, but all-in-all it was a fun movie. Ellen Page is magnificent and Michael Cera is so natural in his own way, he steals scenes... It was a good movie to see on Christmas. 8/10
Old 12-26-2007, 12:19 AM   #1236
Blade6119
Coordinator

Heartbreak Kid (8.5/10) - I actually really enjoyed this movie, with some real laugh out loud moments. The final 10-15 minutes were more serious, but overall it was a really great comedy to me. I didn't want to rent it, but i was very pleasantly surprised.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:02 AM   #1237
korme
Go Reds

The Squid and the Whale (2005) - Written and directed by Noah Baumbach, who has helped Wes Anderson in the past on his movies... Anderson produced... my only complaint is that it was a short movie - 1:21 runtime. That movie though hit me on so many levels, the beginnings of parental divorce, with the parents turning on each other. The little kid was subtle and hilarious. 8.5/10

Edit- the little kid is Kevin Kline's son.

Last edited by korme : 12-26-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:59 AM   #1238
Groundhog
Coordinator

Alien vs Predator: Requiem - 4/10

Gets a few points for the shock factor in a couple of gruesome scenes, but outside of that you aren't missing very much if you don't watch this film. Predator may as well not have even been in the flick for all the relevance he had on the movie, and the alien/predator hybrid thing is hard to distinguish from a regular alien in the lighting used throughout its scenes. The storyline was near non-existent and it's obvious that a lot of scenes were cut from the film as characters are underdeveloped (ie. killed off after two scenes, when it's obvious you were meant to have cared about some of these people), and various plot points aren't resolved.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #1239
Logan
Head Coach

The Untouchables (1987) - 6/10

Wow, talk about disappointing. This was a movie that I was embarrassed to say I hadn't seen based on what I'd heard from others. Seems like the perfect set-up: Prohibition era, De Niro playing Capone, Costner, Connery, Andy Garcia, etc. I don't even think I can put my finger on what it was, but something definitely felt missing when compared to other mafia-style movies. And I'm not even talking about intense action, but something fell short. I thought much of the movie was just corny. I couldn't stop laughing at the Untouchables on horseback, teaming up with the Mounties. That final scene in the train station was ridiculously drawn out and annoying, with an anti-climactic finish. And the courtroom scene at the end was horribly unrealistic
Spoiler

A real letdown for me considering I like De Palma's work, the entire cast, and the genre in general. I did think Connery deserved the Oscar for his role...one question though:
Spoiler

I'm sure this movie has it's fans on here, so I'd like to hear why you loved it...maybe I missed something.

Last edited by Logan : 12-26-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:21 AM   #1240
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The Untouchables (1987) - 6/10

Wow, talk about disappointing. This was a movie that I was embarrassed to say I hadn't seen based on what I'd heard from others. Seems like the perfect set-up: Prohibition era, De Niro playing Capone, Costner, Connery, Andy Garcia, etc. I don't even think I can put my finger on what it was, but something definitely felt missing when compared to other mafia-style movies. And I'm not even talking about intense action, but something fell short. I thought much of the movie was just corny. I couldn't stop laughing at the Untouchables on horseback, teaming up with the Mounties. That final scene in the train station was ridiculously drawn out and annoying, with an anti-climactic finish. And the courtroom scene at the end was horribly unrealistic
Spoiler

A real letdown for me considering I like De Palma's work, the entire cast, and the genre in general. I did think Connery deserved the Oscar for his role...one question though:
Spoiler

I'm sure this movie has it's fans on here, so I'd like to hear why you loved it...maybe I missed something.

Sorry to hear you didin't enjoy it. It's one of my "I can always sit down and watch it" sorta movies, although I would hesitate to call it one of the best mob films of all time or among my personal faves.

I think there was a whole "good ole boy" flavor to it that honestly worked a little better in the 80s than it does now, IMO. Back then, seeing them on horseback charging the bridge was fun and a bit unexpected. But, yeah, it looks silly now, just as silly as an accountant becoming a crime fighting crusader or the completely impossible ending you alude to in your first spoiler above (which always made me laugh because it was so ridiculous).

As for the train scene, well, I guess you and will have to disagree on that one. I love every moment of that scene whenever it's on. The tension is built up so terrifically. Even now, I always feel like screaming at the mother, "Get your freakin' baby outta here, lady!". And the way Stone takes out the last guy, with Ness just dropping his gun hand, not even pointing it anymore. That's just classic.

As to your question...

Spoiler

Old 12-27-2007, 04:46 AM   #1241
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
As for the train scene, well, I guess you and will have to disagree on that one. I love every moment of that scene whenever it's on. The tension is built up so terrifically. Even now, I always feel like screaming at the mother, "Get your freakin' baby outta here, lady!". And the way Stone takes out the last guy, with Ness just dropping his gun hand, not even pointing it anymore. That's just classic.

I agree. The train station scene would easily be in my Top 20 movie scenes of all time. It's exceptionally well done.

"You got 'em?"

"I got 'em..."

"Take him."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-27-2007, 06:22 AM   #1242
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Alien vs Predator: Requiem - 4/10

Gets a few points for the shock factor in a couple of gruesome scenes, but outside of that you aren't missing very much if you don't watch this film. Predator may as well not have even been in the flick for all the relevance he had on the movie, and the alien/predator hybrid thing is hard to distinguish from a regular alien in the lighting used throughout its scenes. The storyline was near non-existent and it's obvious that a lot of scenes were cut from the film as characters are underdeveloped (ie. killed off after two scenes, when it's obvious you were meant to have cared about some of these people), and various plot points aren't resolved.

Interestingly enough, AvP was on TV last night on TBS I think. The action sequences were far better in AvP than AvP:R because you could tell what the hell was going on. That being said, I had no idea what the ending of the movie meant.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:33 AM   #1243
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Sorry to hear you didin't enjoy it. It's one of my "I can always sit down and watch it" sorta movies, although I would hesitate to call it one of the best mob films of all time or among my personal faves.

I think there was a whole "good ole boy" flavor to it that honestly worked a little better in the 80s than it does now, IMO. Back then, seeing them on horseback charging the bridge was fun and a bit unexpected. But, yeah, it looks silly now, just as silly as an accountant becoming a crime fighting crusader or the completely impossible ending you alude to in your first spoiler above (which always made me laugh because it was so ridiculous).

As to your question...

Spoiler

Good call on the spoilered part. I didn't make that connection despite them speaking a lot towards the end.

As for your take on the train station scene, I definitely felt the tension...but it was more from me waiting for it to end, and our opinions surely differ because of how we felt about the prior 1:45 of the movie.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:06 AM   #1244
Flasch186
Coordinator

Juno - 8/10

What a refreshing movie with some superb acting. Some of the scenes we're just incredibly well done and I highly recommend it. The main actress is spectacular in this and so is the ensemble cast. Go see this one.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-27-2007, 08:28 AM   #1245
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Juno - 8/10

What a refreshing movie with some superb acting. Some of the scenes we're just incredibly well done and I highly recommend it. The main actress is spectacular in this and so is the ensemble cast. Go see this one.

Just saw this last night as well. I was really put off by the first few minutes and thought I was going to hate it. It seemed like it was trying way too hard to be hip, but I was very wrong.

Great movie, that lead girl was fantastic, and I love about anything Michael Cera does, and everyone else was great as well. No one stuck out as doing poorly or their character just falling flat. I was extremely impressed.

Highly recommend seeing it.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #1246
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Ratatouille 7.5/10 - Probably my least favorite of the Pixar movies and seemed to be the most kid orientated of the Pixar movies to date (for me at least). Not that I didn't like it but, with past movies, Pixar has set the bar pretty high and this one was more 'cute' than laugh out loud funny.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #1247
korme
Go Reds

I got a 30-movie box set for Christmas, and it contains:

12 Angry Men (1957)
The Alamo (1960)
Annie Hall (1977)
The Apartment (1960)
Battle of Britain (1969)
The Birdcage (1996)
Birdman of Alcatraz (1962)
Bowling for Columbine (2002)
A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)
Dr. No (1962)
Fiddler on the Roof (1971)
GoldenEye (1995)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966)
The Great Escape (1963)
The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965)
Hotel Rwanda (2004)
Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)
The Magnificent Seven (1960)
The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
Marty (1955)
Midnight Cowboy (1969)
The Pink Panther (1963)
Raging Bull (1980)
Rain Man (1988)
Rocky (1976)
Some Like It Hot (1959)
The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)
West Side Story (1961)

Now I already own Hotel Rwanda, Raging Bull, Midnight Cowboy and Annie Hall. Also I've already seen Rocky, Goldeneye and 12 Angry Men. Any of these movies besides TGTBTU that I need to see immediately?

Last edited by korme : 12-27-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:11 AM   #1248
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Now I already own Hotel Rwanda, Raging Bull, Midnight Cowboy and Annie Hall. Also I've already seen Rocky, Goldeneye and 12 Angry Men. Any of these movies besides TGTBTU that I need to see immediately?

I'd go with Rain Man followed by Judgement at Nuremberg or Bridge Too Far although, I admit I'd eliminate a few just because I don't enjoy Woody Allen, Musicals or the Pink Panther...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:22 AM   #1249
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I'd go with Rain Man followed by Judgement at Nuremberg or Bridge Too Far although, I admit I'd eliminate a few just because I don't enjoy Woody Allen, Musicals or the Pink Panther...

Oops, must have skimed over it... of course I have seen Rain Man!

Not looking forward to the Pink Panther either..
Old 12-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #1250
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

The Magnificent Seven.