Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2003, 01:54 PM   #1201
bbor
Pro Starter

It may be so....the new owners are not in Quinns pocket like the former guy was.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 01:56 PM   #1202
bbor
Pro Starter

Page 25 of hockey..WOW!!

Oh ya...Dola also

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:21 PM   #1203
bbor
Pro Starter

Triple dola

Oh SHIT!!

Dryden is on the radiooooo...z.z.z.z.zzzzzzzzzz:snore:

Old 06-27-2003, 04:14 PM   #1204
Karim
College Starter

I just finished listening to Art Breeze, player agent, on a local radio show.

He advocates a complete free-market system. No draft, no cap, no free agency just a free for all system.

Why? Because such a system would be fairest for everyone involved.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 06:05 PM   #1205
bbor
Pro Starter

Does he realize there would be no need for agents then?

Old 06-28-2003, 12:47 PM   #1206
bbor
Pro Starter

No new info...Just a bump......cuase this thread can't die

Old 06-28-2003, 01:02 PM   #1207
Karim
College Starter

The agents would still be there to negotiate particulars in contracts.

I hardly could contain my contempt for the guy. He kept evoking "democracy" arguments and how we don't live in a communist state as for why there should be no entry draft, restricted free agency or salary cap.

He went on to say that a small-market team could still succeed under this fairer system through the "intelligent application of funds".

Does he really think Pittsburgh would have had a shot at Fleury if all teams could give millions up front to try and convince him to sign with their club? He suggested money wasn't the raison d'etre for these players and many other considerations take place such as quality of life and projected playing time. Sure.

I really don't want to get started on finances but the NFL isn't exactly a stirling example of capitalism with salary caps and non-guaranteed contracts, yet they seem to have a decent little league going...
Old 06-28-2003, 01:05 PM   #1208
Travis
Pro Rookie

Excellent trade by Buffalo imho. Delmore is the poor man's Sandis in a way, but he'll be a great QB for them on the PP for the forseeable future. A couple of more solid stay at home, body pounder D-men and Buffalo is going to be a formidable team.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:03 PM   #1209
Karim
College Starter

Well, I know a lot of Calgary fans were thinking about Delmore for our awful PP. Now seeing him go for only a 3rd rounder, many are shaking their heads as to why we didn't go after him.

But, reading the reaction of Nashville fans who saw him play all year, it's clear they are happy to see him leave. He's absolutely awful 5-on-5 and a consistent minus player, making glaring defensive mistakes. He may score a lot of goals on the PP, but he can't skate very well, handle the puck or headman the rush out of the zone.

He's about as one-dimensional a player as you can get.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:03 PM   #1210
bbor
Pro Starter

I was kinda surprised he went so cheap.He was at one time a rising young defensive star.

Havent seen him play in awhile so i can't say how he is playing....but to go for a 3rd rounder....they must be down on him.If he finds his game in Buffalo it will be a steal for them.

On a sad note...they had a memorial for Roger Nielson today in Perterborough.....Tons of hockey people attended.

Old 06-28-2003, 11:37 PM   #1211
Karim
College Starter

bbor,

Have you heard any names that the Leafs might be looking at for GM?

I saw a poll on TV and I couldn't believe that Craig Button's name was mentioned.

Dean Lombardi might be a good choice...
Old 06-29-2003, 12:03 AM   #1212
bbor
Pro Starter

Karim....Colin Campbell,Steve Tambellini,Bob Nicholson(President of the CHA),

The assistant G.M of the Devs,who's name escapes me.Conte i think it is.
Neil Smith

There are a few more...but i am a bit brain dead at the moment...I think Colin Campbell would be an interesting choice.

Old 06-29-2003, 02:21 AM   #1213
Travis
Pro Rookie

The Oiler's could have used Delmore as well, and I would have been happy giving up a 3rd rounder for him. We have the beef on the blueline and could match him up with a defensive workhorse to even things out, and our PP really could have used the kick in the ass, but ah well, hopefully one of these young guys pans out and makes it this year.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:46 PM   #1214
bbor
Pro Starter

Up

Old 06-30-2003, 12:02 PM   #1215
bbor
Pro Starter

Desjardin re-ups with Philly...did'nt hear the contract details.

Tommorrow is the 1st day of free agency...but i can't see much happening .

Old 06-30-2003, 01:04 PM   #1216
Karim
College Starter

Oates rejects a reduced salary from Anaheim:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=45889

I also don't forsee Kariya getting qualified at $10 million by midnight tonight, meaning he'll be unrestricted.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:17 PM   #1217
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Man, I hadn't read that Kariya's qualifying offer was at $10 M! That's a lot of moola...

I'm worried. I'm not surprised about Oates' release. With Rucchin back to form, another year of seasoning for Andy MacDonald and the acquisition of Rob Niedermayer, we're not too bad for centers, although I thnik we should try and resign Oates at a lesser price if other teams don't step up.

As for Kariya, I think--I hope--we'll make that offer tonight. I can't think they would be dumb enough to allow him to go to unrestricted free agency. Plenty of athletes in many sports have said in the past when they headed to unrestricted free agency that they could never leave such-and-such town, and yet two-to-three weeks later, there they are, signing with another team.

To be honest, I think Kariya needs to show more consistency to get that kind of cash, but he has us in a hard spot. We don't have a lot of superstar options after him, at least until Chistov or Lupul step up (and assuming they one day do).

The Ducks need to clam up about the multi-year contract at a lesser price, give him his money to at least bring him back next year, then explore things again under the new CBA, whatever the rules may be at that point.

I have a lot of respect for Murray. He's shown he knows what he's doing. So I'm going to cross my fingers that he's at the top of things here, too.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 01:19 PM   #1218
tucker342
Pro Starter

10 mil is a whole lot of money to be offering one player... I don't know if the Ducks should do it...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 01:32 PM   #1219
Karim
College Starter

The Ducks have already asked Kariya to take a reduced salary; I'm assuming that he's rejected it or mulling it over.

I'm afraid, Chief, he'll be unrestricted come tomorrow.

The good thing is no team will be offering him $10 million for his services, or any UFA this off-season. There's simply too much uncertainty. If they do, it will be only a 1-year deal for someone who thinks they can win it the year before Armageddon.

I'm anxious to see the updated unrestricted list to find out who didn't get qualified. Never have so many big names been available...
Old 06-30-2003, 02:24 PM   #1220
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Would Kariya sign a 1 year/$10 million deal? I think with the climate, it might be better to go for years as opposed to $$$...
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 02:36 PM   #1221
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I think the players will think so. I think the Ducks will try to offer a one-year, $10 M qualifier.

I have no idea what Baizley is thinking, though. He's been Kariya's agent from the start and we have had some ugly tiffs with the guy.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:05 PM   #1222
Karim
College Starter

Maybe some players will be thinking "grab as much as I can, while I can."

Colorado has signed Forsberg and Morris to only one-year deals.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:00 PM   #1223
bbor
Pro Starter

Rangers trade Leetchs' rights to the Oilersa for Markenen and a 3rd rounder.

Oilers won't sign Leetch but will get a 2nd round pick if someone else signs him(most liely the Rangers) I suppose Markenen is expendable due to the emergence of Conklin(sp) in the AHL finals this season.

Old 06-30-2003, 10:28 PM   #1224
henry296
College Starter

ESPN Radio in Pittsburgh is reporting that Lemieux will be back next season. Now I won't be completely frustrated watching them next season.

Todd
Old 06-30-2003, 10:41 PM   #1225
Travis
Pro Rookie

Still not sure why the Rangers want Jussi, though I guess this ends the controversy that was brewing up here as speculation was that Salo may be traded and a platoon of Markkanen and Conklin would be used this season. I can't see them going exclusively with Conklin, so that's all good.

And who says we won't sign Leetch? Maybe he'll want to play on a young exciting team for less instead of going back to New York with all the ego's and all that extra money
Old 07-01-2003, 03:08 AM   #1226
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So it begins...

Hasek is a Wing.
McCarty and Wooley (odd, but after losing Bykov the Wings needed the depth here) re-sign.

Left on the agenda:
Sign Steve Yzerman.
Fedorov
Larionov
try to TRADE Cujo

It's gonna be a long interesting summer for the Winged Wheel. Pretty exciting.

Also incredibly good news for my sorry-a$$ of a fantasy "keeper league" hockey team, as I scooped up Hasek off of waivers when the rumors started. Looks like someone has a new #1 goalie!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 06:56 AM   #1227
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow, Kariya is an unrestricted free agent. The Ducks have cut him loose!

The free agent pool just got a whole lot deeper. Kariya, Selanne, Fedorov, Hatcher, Leetch... Some big names. Some very, very big names.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-01-2003, 06:58 AM   #1228
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

And everyone saying there is no big money left for them. Some of these guys are going to be faced with taking paycuts or having a lot of free time next winter.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:35 AM   #1229
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Or someone is going to go balls out and pay them top dollar, and hope they can win NOW!

BTW, on this day in 2001, the Red Wings traded Vyacheslav Kozlov and a 1st round pick for Dominik Hasek.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:00 AM   #1230
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
Rangers trade Leetchs' rights to the Oilersa for Markenen and a 3rd rounder.

Oilers won't sign Leetch but will get a 2nd round pick if someone else signs him(most liely the Rangers).
I thought the NHL was going to close that loophole? Or was it typical NHL, all talk and no action?

Man, this Kariya thing came out of left field. This could get interesting.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:59 PM   #1231
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's getting crazier...

The latest rumors out of New York have the Rangers placing Lindros on waivers. Best bets would be that the big fella, he-who-was-to-replace-Lemieux, would clear waivers and then the Rangers would buy-out his contract for $2.2 million making Lindros an unrestricted free agent.

Lindros, Fedorov, Kariya... HUGE!
Old 07-01-2003, 01:04 PM   #1232
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow, I have never seen a stranger beginning to an offseason yet. Obviously, next year's labor strife is definitely having its impact--much more than rumors of same did in baseball, for instance the winter before last.

Okay, now I'm going to crawl back into my hole and whimper some more about letting Kariya go...

CR

Old 07-01-2003, 01:06 PM   #1233
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

So Cassels signs for 3 years, 3 million. Last year he made $2.6

Branthwaite signs with Columbus for 1 year at $500k. Last year he made $1.15.

Not exactly blockbusters, but I wonder how it reflects on the high profile guys? Think Anaheim has offered Kariya a 5 year/25 million dollar offer yet?
Old 07-01-2003, 01:38 PM   #1234
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, yeah, muck it up.

My guess is the Ducks have a $6.5 to $7.5 for four year contract on the table, and they're probably willing to go up to 8-and-change. I doubt it's longer than four years, and actually it's probably a three year deal.

I'm pretty sure they have an offer out there already. It's the one Kariya (and Baizley) don't like apparently.

CR

Old 07-01-2003, 01:51 PM   #1235
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Chief, you could probably answer this... I was under theimpression that the Ducks were leading candidates to sign Selanne, and that he wanted to return so he could reunite with Kariya. Do you think that by cutting Kariya, they've essentially also kissed Selanne goodbye despite now having more money to throw at him?

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 07-01-2003 at 01:51 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:23 PM   #1236
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Hackett signs with Philly, 2 years for $3 million per. Guess Cujo ain't going there...
Old 07-01-2003, 02:30 PM   #1237
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if they have kissed the chance goobye, Sean, although it is certainly not looking too rosey. Kariya's presence was a primary reason for Selanne to return to the Ducks.

Of course, you also have to remember that Selanne still keeps his family in Orange County during the season (they live in Finland--duh--in the offseason), and he was very popular here. It could even be argued that removing Kariya might entice Selanna more, because he would probably be told during contract negotiations that if they couldn't resign Paul, he would be the guy the team is focused around offensively. Selanne hasn't been the top fiddle player since his days in Winnipeg, and that might appeal to him. Then consider that he wants to win a Stanley Cup of course, and regardless of that fact that we have let go Oates and maybe Kariya (if we don't resign him), I have to think the Ducks' run in the playoffs will play heavily into his interest.

That's the long answer of possible outcomes, but the short answer is, yes, this probably hurts the Ducks' chances of signing him. The i8nteresting thing to see will be if Selanne jumps at an early offer, or if he will wait to see if the Ducks resign Kariya. If they do, and then make him an offer, he might jump at it. But he may get too good an offer to pass up as well from some of the richer teams, and there you go.

Chief Rum

Old 07-01-2003, 02:36 PM   #1238
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

dola...

Hey, sach, where you getting your news? From radio or TV? CNNSI and ESPN Web sites aren't getting a sniff of this stuff, and I am sick of getting my info through a message board.

CR

Old 07-01-2003, 02:45 PM   #1239
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

TSN Canada
Old 07-02-2003, 02:22 AM   #1240
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Man...I go to work for the rest of the day...on one of the biggest rumorville days of the year...and you guys let this fall to the second page?

I am ashamed. Deeply ashamed. Bad hockey fans! I should high-stick you across the bridge of your nose.

CR

Old 07-02-2003, 10:07 AM   #1241
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

All's quiet at the moment...

Most rumors have the Wings as the #1 suitors for Derian Hatcher. I think Hatcher is very over-rated, but the Wings have lacked that big, mean defenseman ever since Vladdy's unfortunate accident. This also means the end of Fedorov as a Wing...

The Lindros waiver rumor was quashed. It was interesting. Also, all reports indicate that the Rangers don't want Joseph. Don't feel he's a big enough upgrade (for the difference in salary, around $4.7 million) over Dunham. It looks like the Wings could be caught once more with one too many starting goalies with the waiver wire as the only option.

I still have no idea where any of these guys are going to end up. The buyers are now becomming sellers. Colorado still has some cash to spend in the money it saved from Roy's putting out to pasture. Kariya would look pretty nifty skating along-side Sakic. Think about that one-two punch: Hejduk-Forsberg, Sakic-Kariya. This makes me sad and unhappy.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:07 AM   #1242
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Just as Hatcher in a freakin' Red Wings jersey would kill me. I hope Hicks sees that and changes his mind and signs him.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:33 AM   #1243
bbor
Pro Starter

Sather announced himself as coach today...big surprise...he has the ego to do it.

Colarado trades for Skrastins(sp?) from Nashville....prolly to fill the whole that will be left when Devreis leaves.

Looks like wesley is leaning towards Toronto...as perhaps is Newy.

Kariya is a huge question mark..i have a feeling this guy is gonna get scrwewed...i don't think he is a 10 mil a year player....but,he seems to be one of those good guys of hockey,just laces up his skates and plays..no bullshit.

I'd love to see him in Toronto...but with Sundin here there is no way they could offer him more than what Sundin makes.

Old 07-02-2003, 11:34 AM   #1244
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola..i forgot to mention..Messir was traded to the Sharks...another one of those deals where the receiving team won't sign him..but if anyuone else does they will get a pick out of it.

Old 07-02-2003, 11:40 AM   #1245
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

If Newy goes to Toronto, they really have to take a chance on little Theo and put them both on a line with Roberts. To see that line reunited after some 10-12 years would be glorious.

Come on, Sach. Hatcher is from Detroit! It's perfectly natural and quite reasonable for the big dummy to come home so he can be closer to his mommy.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:20 PM   #1246
Karim
College Starter

Kariya on a one year deal playing left wing with Sakic seems like a no-brainer. Wow... I'd be grabbing some Flames/Avalanche tickets this year...
Old 07-03-2003, 01:19 AM   #1247
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, it's official. Fedorov is not coming back.

13 long years. Good years. He was a bit flaky and strange at times, but amazing at others. I named my dog after him. I wont change my dog's name, as he is quite old now. We'll just have the memories... and the dog.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:39 AM   #1248
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

From Rotoworld...
Quote:
It is being reported that Dallas has offered Derian Hatcher a 4 year $22 million deal to return to the Stars.
As Hatcher is one of the most attractive free agents on the market, we believe he will wait longer before signing a deal. He likely will also get more than $6 million per season, so unless he really wants to return to Dallas, this offer is probably not good enough.

I can't see them even making this offer unless there is something going on behind the scenes. If he went to Detroit, he would get over $1 million more per year!
Old 07-03-2003, 11:24 AM   #1249
bbor
Pro Starter

KAriya and Selanne sign with Colorado...HOLY SHIT!!!!!!

They don't need a goalie anymore

Old 07-03-2003, 11:31 AM   #1250
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

holy hell! That is ridiculous! So lets see now:

Forsberg
Sakic
Kariya
Selanne
Hejduk
Tanguay
Blake
Morris
Foote

We have found the hockey equivalent of Real Madrid
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote