Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #1201
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Most people on the USC boards (I agree) think there is 0 chance that Pete goes to Atlanta. He doesn't seem interested in a rebuilding job that is likely set up for failure. The only job that would really scare me would be if SD (or another team with a great deal of talent) becomes available in a year or two.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #1202
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I really don't understand why Pete would look anywhere else. He is a GOD in LA. They have no pro sports team...so his semi-pro Trojans are the #1 team in the city. He has recruits dying to go to his school and it isn't like he has to do a hard job selling USC. Good climate, hot chicks, hollywood, good football team...and oh yea a good education.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #1203
MJ4H
Coordinator

Actually starting to hear people with sources say Mallett to Arkansas is as good as done. Seems early to me, but these guys have been spot on in the past. Will stay tuned.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #1204
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I really don't understand why Pete would look anywhere else. He is a GOD in LA. They have no pro sports team...so his semi-pro Trojans are the #1 team in the city. He has recruits dying to go to his school and it isn't like he has to do a hard job selling USC. Good climate, hot chicks, hollywood, good football team...and oh yea a good education.
Speculation on my part, but 2 reasons I can think of:

- The NFL is still the highest level of competition in football. Carroll is nothing if not highly competitive, and I'm sure it grates on him that his NFL career ended prematurely, and would love to prove that he's not just one of the best college football coaches in history, but one of the best coaches period

- The heat may be cranking up at USC over the Reggie Bush scandal with the upcoming publication of the book "Tarnished Heisman"; if Carroll thinks the NCAA may have enough evidence now to start hitting USC with some retroactive penalties (forfeited games) and active penalties (restrictions on recruiting, scholarship reductions) he may want to hit the road before all that comes down
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #1205
Atocep
Coordinator

It looks like Bill Stewart made his first three hires and I have to say I'm pleased. The three that are supposed to be announced tomorrow are:

Doc Holliday is coming in some fashion, rumor is as recruiting coordinator. This is huge. After RR's staff left WVU had no one to recruit Florida and Doc is considered to be among the best for that state.

Steve Dunlap is coming in as a position coach for the defense. He was DC for Nehlen's last 10 years and was pretty decent, but not great. I'm meh on this one and a lot of other WVU fans are too.

David Lockwood is going to be coaching the DBs. He's a massive upgrade over Tony Gibson and Kentucky fans aren't too happy with losing him.

OC is the position that everyone is keeping an eye on and will probably be the hire Stewart is going to be judged by. Herb Hand from tulsa is reportedly interested returning to WVU if he can get the OC position and there's also a rumor the Chip Kelly from Oregon has shown interest in the job. Those in the know are saying Charlie Taaffe is the guy Stewart is leaning toward, though, and there's a chance he could be announced tomorrow as well.

All in all, with the three that are supposed to be definite hires and if you take any of those three offensive coordinators WVU ends up with a better staff than they had under Rodriguez. It'll be interesting to see how they work together, though. Doc isn't a guy everyone can get along with and Dunlap is going from DC at Marshall to a position coach at WVU.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #1206
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Those in the know are saying Charlie Taaffe is the guy Stewart is leaning toward, though, and there's a chance he could be announced tomorrow as well.

Actually the newspapers this morning jumped the gun and said Taaffe was the OC. It looks because of the fact that it leaked to the press so early and because of the way his Canadian contract is structured that he will not be the guy, though he was very likely offered the job and was interested. We'll see how it plays out.

I'm very happy with the other hires, though. We really needed Doc after RR took almost all of our Florida connections to Michigan. Dunlap and Lockwood are both former DCs, so they'll bring some X and O stuff to the table, and Lockwood is another great recruiter. Anxious to see who the offensive hires are.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #1207
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I awakened this morning from a nightmare...

The year was 2010 or 2011.

Michigan had fired Rodriguez after becoming a bottom-feeder in the Big Ten.

I was watching the press conference announcing the new coach who was returning to college after one season in the NFL, ala Petrino.

Jim Tressel was wearing a blue sweater-vest.

Thank God I woke up...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #1208
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Ive heard Mallett to tenn from at leeast 2 sources.
looks like his OC and pos coach from Mich will beat him there...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #1209
MJ4H
Coordinator

Funny, I've heard Mallett to Arkansas from at least 5, including people close to his family. Still pretty early since he has several visits to make as of yet, so these rumors could just be wishful thinking on one or both sides. We will just have to wait and see.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #1210
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Mallet was in Arkansas Tuesday, and his uncle said it was as good as done. The Tenn rumor is just because of the coaching connection there. It has no legs. It'll be UA, as of now.

There are also strong, strong rumors that Texas is close to hiring a big name to come in and take over offensive playcalling duties. I cannot overstate how important this is. We might actually take the restrictor plate off the offense. After ten long years, our misery mght be over.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #1211
MJ4H
Coordinator

I would be excited about Will Muschamp, too, if I were you. Heck we almost made the guy our head coach.

Mallett is in town for sure and is expected to meet with the Petrinos today. It does indeed look good. More people coming out this morning saying its pretty much nailed down.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #1212
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post
Word is leaking that long-time Purdue head coach Joe Tiller will be announcing he is retiring at the end of the upcoming 2008 season. Former Purdue offensive line coach and current Eastern Kentucky head coach Danny Hope will be hired on this season as an assistant and the new head coach-in-waiting. Rumor also has it that long-time defensive coordinator Brock Spack will be leaving the Purdue staff to make room for Hope.

Press conference today at 3:30pm. I've heard other rumors that Spack is staying (at least for 2008) and that co-offensive coordinator Bill Legg is the one leaving, presumably to join Bill Stewart's staff at West Virginia in some capacity (Legg is a WVU alum).
Old 01-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #1213
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Ive heard Mallett to tenn from at leeast 2 sources.
looks like his OC and pos coach from Mich will beat him there...

Actually looks like neither will be there.

Best of luck to Mallet at Arkansas. I know he got very homesick at UM, so this is probably the best thing for him.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #1214
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
I would be excited about Will Muschamp, too, if I were you. Heck we almost made the guy our head coach.

Yeah, I was pretty stoked about getting Muschamp in as the DC. I bet Auburn is starting to get pissed about grooming DCs to come to Texas.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 01-11-2008 at 09:58 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #1215
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://govolsxtra.com/news/2008/jan/...t-source-says/

A source within the University of Richmond athletic department told the News Sentinel that Richmond head coach Dave Clawson has told members of his staff that he will leave to become Tennessee’s offensive coordinator.

Clawson, 40, met with Richmond athletic director Jim Miller on Thursday night, and the Spiders moved up a previously scheduled team meeting to 3 p.m. today.

On Thursday night, Richmond sports information director Mike DeGeorge confirmed an Associated Press report that said Clawson had been offered the job. DeGeorge could not confirm whether Clawson had accepted the job.

Tennessee is expected to announce its new offensive coordinator sometime this weekend.

Spiders wide receivers coach Latrell Scott also is expected to join Tennessee’s staff as an assistant coach, the source said.

Tennessee hired former Florida assistant Stan Drayton this week as its running backs coach, leaving Tennessee three other offensive positions to fill.

Clawson, a native of Youngstown, N.Y., interviewed with Tennessee on Monday, two days before two former Michigan assistants — offensive coordinator Mike DeBord and quarterbacks coach Scott Loeffler — interviewed with UT coach Phillip Fulmer for positions on the Vols’ staff.

Clemson offensive coordinator Rob Spence and San Francisco 49ers quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti also interviewed with Fulmer. Cignetti was later named offensive coordinator at Cal.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #1216
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

JimGA, do you have anything on ex-Georgia Tech QB prospect Steven Threet?

He transferred from Tech last year to Michigan and given the departure of Mallet (and depending on where Pryor goes), he may be in line to be a potential starter.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #1217
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Threet was a 4* and I think the #13 QB his senior year according to Rivals. UofM always liked him, he just didnt get an offer then because we were only taking 1 QB, Mallet. He is a drop back passer that can move well in the pocket, decent arm, good mechanics. Next year may be a little soon to expect him to be the man, but he does have talent.

Also, it looks like the Stanford DC Scott Shafer may be the new DC at UofM. I know he used to be the DC at western Michigan and did a good job, but any opinions of him at Stanford?
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #1218
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

HB - IIRC, Threet's biggest drawback was that he seemed very immobile once he got on campus but otherwise could be a decent enough QB in a pro set with good protection. When he left, he said that it was largely because both of the coaches that recruited him (Nix & Collins) had left and that changed the situation. Less trusting souls have suggested that he left because he realized that he was probably no better than the third best QB on campus and was iffy to ever see a meaningful snap in his career at GT.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #1219
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1033 View Post
Threet was a 4* and I think the #13 QB his senior year according to Rivals. UofM always liked him, he just didnt get an offer then because we were only taking 1 QB, Mallet. He is a drop back passer that can move well in the pocket, decent arm, good mechanics. Next year may be a little soon to expect him to be the man, but he does have talent.

Also, it looks like the Stanford DC Scott Shafer may be the new DC at UofM. I know he used to be the DC at western Michigan and did a good job, but any opinions of him at Stanford?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
HB - IIRC, Threet's biggest drawback was that he seemed very immobile once he got on campus but otherwise could be a decent enough QB in a pro set with good protection. When he left, he said that it was largely because both of the coaches that recruited him (Nix & Collins) had left and that changed the situation. Less trusting souls have suggested that he left because he realized that he was probably no better than the third best QB on campus and was iffy to ever see a meaningful snap in his career at GT.

Thanks for the info, guys. It's really sounding like it could be a very rough year in Ann Arbor. I will pass this off as "growing pains", but it coudl be brutal. Even if Pryor decides to choose UofM, he will be asked to do a lot as a freshmen with a very scant and largely unproven supporting cast.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #1220
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Thanks for the info, guys. It's really sounding like it could be a very rough year in Ann Arbor. I will pass this off as "growing pains", but it coudl be brutal. Even if Pryor decides to choose UofM, he will be asked to do a lot as a freshmen with a very scant and largely unproven supporting cast.

Yeah, WVU went 3-8 in Rodriguez's first year. It was our worst season in over 20 years. We lost to Temple.

It will be a pretty massive transition, though Michigan's o-line already has some zone blocking experience under their belts, so they'll at least have that. Michigan also certainly has better athletes than WVU had at the time. Still I think a 6-6 type season is a strong possibility for the Wolverines next year.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #1221
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Yeah, WVU went 3-8 in Rodriguez's first year. It was our worst season in over 20 years. We lost to Temple.

It will be a pretty massive transition, though Michigan's o-line already has some zone blocking experience under their belts, so they'll at least have that. Michigan also certainly has better athletes than WVU had at the time. Still I think a 6-6 type season is a strong possibility for the Wolverines next year.

Ouch. Yeah, I think a 6-6 type season is a strong possibility. I can live with it. I am taking a "fall furthers the flight" approach to next season.

There will be some pressure. Michigan has gone 40 straight seasons with a winning record and has had 33 straight bowl appearances. Both of those streaks could be in jeopardy.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #1222
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Ouch. Yeah, I think a 6-6 type season is a strong possibility. I can live with it. I am taking a "fall furthers the flight" approach to next season.

You might understand that. Does anyone else, really? Are the expectations really being tempered at all or is there the belief that RR will do wonders in his first year because, well, he's not Lloyd and it is Michigan and they should go 10-2 next year anyway, the way they always should? How much time does he have to turn the ship (as in, if he doesn't get to the Rose Bowl by X, he should be gone)?

To me, I think Michigan and its fans could use a bit of humility (not Notre Dame levels, mind you). 8-4 is not a humiliating season, but too many up there seem to take offense at it when just about everyone else in the country considers 8-4 to be a good season and anything else above that something special.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #1223
Swaggs
Coordinator

The two things that I think will "wow" Michigan fans about Rodriguez is that you will probably not have very many NFL-caliber offensive linemen anymore (unless zone blocking becomes more widely accepted in the NFL) because Rodriguez and Barwis like to have smaller/agile linemen AND that there will be a number of current players, some of them highly rated recruits out of high school, that will be exiting the program over the next two seasons.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #1224
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
The two things that I think will "wow" Michigan fans about Rodriguez is that you will probably not have very many NFL-caliber offensive linemen anymore (unless zone blocking becomes more widely accepted in the NFL) because Rodriguez and Barwis like to have smaller/agile linemen AND that there will be a number of current players, some of them highly rated recruits out of high school, that will be exiting the program over the next two seasons.

That's definitely one thing that will change. The era of the likes of Jake Long and Steve Hutchinson could be long gone. I am also interested to see how it will affect Michigan's ability to recruit top flight receivers. Michigan has had a very strong tradition of having great receivers (Anthony Carter, Braylon Edwards, Mannigham, David Terrell, Arrington, etc.). I know the spread offense uses a lot of receivers, but I think Michigan's traditional pro-style offense with a drop back quaterback was very appealing to the top guys.

I also wonder about the defense. Rodriguez has pretty much admitted that he doesn't really coach the defense at all. His focus is on offense. I wonder if top defensive recruits will want to come to a school where they are ignored more or less by the head coach.

Definitely interesting times for the Michigan program. It's been 40+ years of consistency in almost every respect. That's pretty impressive.

The fact that it's Michigan will still count and they will still get some awfully good recruits, but they will likely be of a diferent breed.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #1225
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
That's definitely one thing that will change. The era of the likes of Jake Long and Steve Hutchinson could be long gone. I am also interested to see how it will affect Michigan's ability to recruit top flight receivers. Michigan has had a very strong tradition of having great receivers (Anthony Carter, Braylon Edwards, Mannigham, David Terrell, Arrington, etc.). I know the spread offense uses a lot of receivers, but I think Michigan's traditional pro-style offense with a drop back quaterback was very appealing to the top guys.

I also wonder about the defense. Rodriguez has pretty much admitted that he doesn't really coach the defense at all. His focus is on offense. I wonder if top defensive recruits will want to come to a school where they are ignored more or less by the head coach.

Definitely interesting times for the Michigan program. It's been 40+ years of consistency in almost every respect. That's pretty impressive.

The fact that it's Michigan will still count and they will still get some awfully good recruits, but they will likely be of a diferent breed.

I really can't see a top-flight receiver jumping at the chance to play in RR's spread option unless he's a big Michigan fan. WVU didn't throw the ball because Pat White couldn't or a lack of receivers, Rodriguez just prefers not to. Rodriguez likes to move RBs that are buried on the depth chart to receiver. He did that with Reynaud and appeared to be ready to do the same with Jock Sanders.

What he will be able to get is his pick of the mobile quarterbacks and one-cut running backs. His recruiting classes will obviously better than they were at West Virginia, but I wouldn't count on too many top-5 type classes. He recruits for his system (and very well), not just the best overall players.

I hope I don't come across as a bitter WVU fan because I'm not, I've spoken the praises of Rodriguez many times on these boards and now that he's in Michigan it doesn't change my perception of him. However, I think its going to be interesting in Michigan the next couple years. There's going to be some culture shock for RR, the players, the administration, and the fans. I'll admit that I don't know Lloyd Carr well, but I never got the impression that he was one to really yell at his players a lot. RR yells at everyone. Constantly. Its the way he does business. The administration will have to get used to a demanding coach, RR will have to get used to media pressure like he's never seen before, and the fans are going to have to get used to a coach that isn't exactly a people person and hates to be second guessed.

IMO, Rich Rodriguez in Michigan is either going to be an incredible success or a massive failure in Ann Arbor with no real middle ground. I wouldn't expect too much next year or maybe even the year after, but if he can get things rolling by year three things will be fine. If he's still putting up 7-5 or even 8-4 years things could get very ugly.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #1226
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just confirming the earlier report.

http://govolsxtra.com/news/2008/jan/...move-ut-today/
University of Richmond head coach Dave Clawson will be named Tennessee’s offensive coordinator at a 10 a.m. press conference Saturday in the Neyland-Thompson Sports Center.

Clawson interviewed for the job on Monday and accepted an offer to be the Vols’ offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Thursday night.

“I am very excited about naming Dave Clawson as our new offensive coordinator,” UT coach Phillip Fulmer said in a release from the UT sports information office. “I have thoroughly enjoyed the search and research process, and there certainly was a lot of interest in this position. I took the attitude that this was a great opportunity for me to evaluate the coaching talent out there and find the perfect fit for a new era of Tennessee offensive football.”

Separately, Michigan LB commitment Marcus Witherspoon will visit Knoxville this weekend.
http://govolsxtra.com/news/2008/jan/...poon-ut-visit/
Old 01-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #1227
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I really can't see a top-flight receiver jumping at the chance to play in RR's spread option unless he's a big Michigan fan. WVU didn't throw the ball because Pat White couldn't or a lack of receivers, Rodriguez just prefers not to. Rodriguez likes to move RBs that are buried on the depth chart to receiver. He did that with Reynaud and appeared to be ready to do the same with Jock Sanders.

What he will be able to get is his pick of the mobile quarterbacks and one-cut running backs. His recruiting classes will obviously better than they were at West Virginia, but I wouldn't count on too many top-5 type classes. He recruits for his system (and very well), not just the best overall players.

I hope I don't come across as a bitter WVU fan because I'm not, I've spoken the praises of Rodriguez many times on these boards and now that he's in Michigan it doesn't change my perception of him. However, I think its going to be interesting in Michigan the next couple years. There's going to be some culture shock for RR, the players, the administration, and the fans. I'll admit that I don't know Lloyd Carr well, but I never got the impression that he was one to really yell at his players a lot. RR yells at everyone. Constantly. Its the way he does business. The administration will have to get used to a demanding coach, RR will have to get used to media pressure like he's never seen before, and the fans are going to have to get used to a coach that isn't exactly a people person and hates to be second guessed.

IMO, Rich Rodriguez in Michigan is either going to be an incredible success or a massive failure in Ann Arbor with no real middle ground. I wouldn't expect too much next year or maybe even the year after, but if he can get things rolling by year three things will be fine. If he's still putting up 7-5 or even 8-4 years things could get very ugly.

You're not coming across as a bitter WVU fan at all. This is all great stuff and sounds like a very fair and honest assessment of how RR recruits, runs his program, and coaches.

It's already been a little jarring. He was on the Jim Rome show earlier this week and announced Mallet, Arrington, and Manningham weren't coming back. Arrington had announced he was going to the NFL, but the other two hadn't quite come out and said they weren't coming back at that time (I still don't think Manningham has given an official word). RR said that he held a team meeting early in the week and since Manninghman and Mallet weren't they, he didn't consider them part of the team. He only wanted players who wanted to be here on his team. I loved the message, but the delivery and all was nothing you'd ever hear from Lloyd Carr, whether or not that's what he thought.

I think there will be significant growing pains both on the field and internally in the program.

While folks will likely scream and gnash their teeth a bit if Michigan struggles, he will be given time to form his team. I totally agree, however, that if by years 4 or 5, Michigan is 8-4 or 7-5, there will get ugly.

The majority of Michigan's fan base does have outrageous expectations for the team. 8-4 seasons are routinely considered disappointing, especially if Michigan loses to OSU.

Come on Tyrelle Pryor!!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #1228
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Separately, Michigan LB commitment Marcus Witherspoon will visit Knoxville this weekend.

please stop causing problems
Old 01-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #1229
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Just confirming the earlier report.

http://govolsxtra.com/news/2008/jan/...move-ut-today/
University of Richmond head coach Dave Clawson will be named Tennessee’s offensive coordinator at a 10 a.m. press conference Saturday in the Neyland-Thompson Sports Center.

Clawson interviewed for the job on Monday and accepted an offer to be the Vols’ offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Thursday night.

“I am very excited about naming Dave Clawson as our new offensive coordinator,” UT coach Phillip Fulmer said in a release from the UT sports information office. “I have thoroughly enjoyed the search and research process, and there certainly was a lot of interest in this position. I took the attitude that this was a great opportunity for me to evaluate the coaching talent out there and find the perfect fit for a new era of Tennessee offensive football.”

w00t - double benefit for "my teams" here...

1) I think this is a good pickup for the Vols
2) This hurts the Spiders (W&M rival) so that's always good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #1230
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post
Press conference today at 3:30pm. I've heard other rumors that Spack is staying (at least for 2008) and that co-offensive coordinator Bill Legg is the one leaving, presumably to join Bill Stewart's staff at West Virginia in some capacity (Legg is a WVU alum).
You guys want Ty Willingham? Really, it's OK - you can have him...
Old 01-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #1231
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Don't blame me, I just work here.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #1232
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
You guys want Ty Willingham? Really, it's OK - you can have him...

But are you willing to write a $100k check to get them to do it?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #1233
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
But are you willing to write a $100k check to get them to do it?
Heh, wish I had that kind of scratch to throw around.

The Tybots around the UW are up in arms about this "out of control" booster who is trying to "bribe" the UW.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #1234
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

RR seems to be doing his share of problem causing with the rumors he's going after MarQueis Gray, but I can assure you that it will not work!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #1235
DeToxRox
Head Coach

HB your doubts are understandable, and I feel like 7 or 8 wins is what we'll wind up with next year but I feel like everyones perceptions are blown out of proportion. Regardless if we get Pryor or not Threet will be in there at Spring Ball meaning we'll be throwing the ball in the spring. When or if Pryor (if I guess and I am skeptical of him coming) comes in he'll be most likely in a moreso throwing offense that'll use him as a Tebow like QB imo, for his freshman year anyway.

Threet has the job to lose, and in doing so, we'll be throwing the ball with Pryor (or whoever) as a change of pace option because that's what RichRod is forced into with Spring Ball.

Also, I think this could help Kevin Grady by allowing him to be a thunder to a Brown or McGuffies lightning. He imo is the wildcard. A healthy, productive Grady could be the key component of a solid season considering our seven best offensive players are gone.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #1236
MJ4H
Coordinator

Ryan Mallett is enrolling at the U of A today. Will be announced today or tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #1237
Atocep
Coordinator

WVU lands Georgia's O-Line coach Dave Johnson. Stewart is expected to name the new OC in the next day or two.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #1238
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
WVU lands Georgia's O-Line coach Dave Johnson. Stewart is expected to name the new OC in the next day or two.

I haven't seen this confirmed yet, but have heard the rumblings.

This is a pretty big hire for us and it is interesting to note that he had reportedly previously turned Rodriguez down. It is amazing, to me, how many good, accomplished coaches have ties to WVU and/or West Virginia.

Right now, there are four BCS head coaches that are from West Virginia (Stewart at WVU, Rodriguez at Michigan, Saban at Alabama, and Grobe at Wake Forest--plus Jimbo Fisher is the HC-in-waiting at FSU).
Old 01-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #1239
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Texas is going to hire Major Applewhite.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #1240
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
Texas is going to hire Major Applewhite.

For OC? I don't know if that qualifies as a big, proven name, but it certainly is a trendy name.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:01 PM   #1241
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbatl1 View Post
For OC? I don't know if that qualifies as a big, proven name, but it certainly is a trendy name.

Nope, as running backs coach, but with the assumption that he'll become OC within a couple of seasons, and then succeed Mack as head coach down the line.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #1242
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Nope, as running backs coach, but with the assumption that he'll become OC within a couple of seasons, and then succeed Mack as head coach down the line.

Wasn't that supposed to be the deal with Muschamp? Head-Coach in waiting? Either way, it will be interesting to see Major as a RB choice, seems to be more of a recruiting move than anything. Saban's track record of alienating assistant coaches continues unabated.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #1243
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
Saban's track record of alienating assistant coaches continues unabated.

True. Although Applewhite was the OC at Alabama, evidently it was the QB coach that Saban let come up with the gameday plans. As for Muschamp, he'll be a head coach somewhere else long before Mack decides to step aside. I see Muschamp like Chizik, stick around for two or three years then move on.

Last edited by cartman : 01-14-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:53 AM   #1244
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Muschamp is NOT the head coach in waiting. I mean, it might end up that way, but no promises were made.

The rumor is that whoever is hired (almost certainly Major, as of now) will call plays on Saturday. Davis was going to be demoted, and was told that it would be a good idea to look for that head coach job he always wanted. Completely unsurprising to every Texas fan, shockingly, nobody wanted him.

So now we'll have a co-OC, one responsible for calling plays. That's what the rumor is.

BTW, the other name being thrown around is Bill Callahan. f that.

Last edited by IMetTrentGreen : 01-15-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:55 AM   #1245
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think it is safe to say that Rich Rod is no longer welcome in the State of West Virginia...

Quote:
Football player files missing
Fingers point to Rodriguez
By Dave Hickman
Staff writer
MORGANTOWN — West Virginia officials are wondering if assistant coaches aren’t all that Rich Rodriguez took with him to Michigan. They believe he may also have destroyed all or most of the paperwork files relating to every player on the current Mountaineer roster and virtually all of the activities conducted by the program over the past seven years.

Soon after returning to work after the Fiesta Bowl a little more than a week ago, the staff at the Puskar Center found that most of the files — including all of the player files — that had been stored in Rodriguez’s private office were missing. In addition, all of the players’ strength and conditioning files in the weight room were gone.

“It’s unbelievable. Everything is gone, like it never existed,’’ said a source within the athletic department, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. “Good, bad or indifferent, we don’t have a record of anything that has happened.’’

According to the source, the files in Rodriguez’s office that are now missing included everything from records regarding summer camps — financial and otherwise — to data on boosters, recruiting and most everything related to activities within the program during Rodriguez’s seven years at WVU.

Most disturbing, though, is the absence of all of the players’ personal files, which included, among other things, contact information, scholarship money awarded, class attendance records and records on personal conduct and community service, be it positive or negative.

“If a player spoke to a school or did public service, we don’t have a record of it,’’ said the source. “If he broke a rule or missed class, we don’t have a record of that, either. We don’t have anything. All the good things these kids have done over the years, there’s nothing — not a picture of somebody speaking to a class, nothing. Why would somebody do that?’’

West Virginia athletic director Ed Pastilong did not return a message seeking comment Monday night. Neither could Rodriguez be reached for comment.

The files went missing sometime between when Rodriguez resigned on Dec. 16 and the time the team and staff returned from the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 3. It could have happened as early as the first days following Rodriguez’s resignation because his old office was largely ignored by the support staff and the coaching staff between the time he left and Dec. 26, when the team and support staff all went to Arizona for the Fiesta Bowl.

According to multiple sources, several people in the Puskar Center reported seeing Rodriguez and at least one member of his inner circle, video coordinator Dusty Rutledge, in Rodriguez’s private office shredding paperwork on Dec. 18. That’s the day he returned to clean out his office after being introduced as the Michigan coach at a press conference in Ann Arbor the day before. At the time, those who say they witnessed it either did not know what was being destroyed or paid it little attention to it until the files were discovered missing more than two weeks later.

While the files in Rodriguez’s office held a wide range of information, those that were discovered missing from the weight room office were more specific. Those included every aspect of strength and conditioning progress made by players under former strength and conditioning coordinator Mike Barwis, who along with most of his immediate staff followed Rodriguez to Michigan after the Fiesta Bowl. Those files included the progression made by each player in every specific area, from bench-press totals to 40-yard dash times. The files even included pictures of the players at different points in their careers.

While a source within the athletic department said the department itself wasn’t launching any type of investigation into the missing files — “Our plate is pretty full right now with trying to put together a staff and everything else,’’ the source said, “and we don’t have time to deal with [stuff] like this right now.’’ — it has apparently drawn the interest of the university’s legal counsel.

WVU lawyers are in the process of trying to recover $4 million from Rodriguez as a condition of breaking his contract with six years remaining to become the coach at Michigan. While Rodriguez has maintained that West Virginia breached the contract by not fulfilling all of its terms — an argument the university denies — the school filed suit in Monongalia County Circuit Court last month detailing what it claims are breaches by Rodriguez above and beyond simply breaking the contract. Those include calling recruits to tell them of his decision to switch schools before he told his own team. It certainly would not help Rodriguez’s case if the school can prove that he also destroyed what WVU officials consider state files on his way out.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #1246
Swaggs
Coordinator

I was just about to post that article.

Rodriguez is trash if this is true (actually, he is trash, period.). I hope they sue him for destroying state and/or University property.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #1247
wade moore
lolzcat

wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #1248
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if we're going to find out this is true or someone misplaced them and then jumped the gun on running it to the media in an attempt to pile on Rodriguez some more.

I can just see the OC getting death glares fixed on him and a filing box when he gets in this morning for dragging home the files last night to do some reading and planning for next year.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:19 AM   #1249
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That's just.... damn.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #1250
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Talk about burning your bridges...

Note to Michigan: Do fire or let Coach Rod leave. Ever. Til death do you part. Either that, or change all the locks on all of the doors and post a security detail before he's fired or leaves.