Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #1201
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
2. Interleague Play results (Arbitary because you have Pirates v. Mariners, etc, counting towards something that neither team gives a shit about)

Hey, the Royals did their part so no dumping on us this year (13-5)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #1202
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I nodded off for a bit and then right when I awoke, the AL just scored the winning run.. ahhhhh... just another MLB AS game.

The only way I'll be happy this year is if the Cubs make it to the World Series.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #1203
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...pton_0717.html

Published on: 07/16/08

Mike Hampton left his minor-league rehabilitation start with Class AA Mississippi on Wednesday night after only two innings, having tweaked his groin.

"He didn't want to take any chances with it," said Nick Skinner, PR director for the Mississippi Braves. "He said his arm felt great."

Hampton injured his groin during the first inning and gave up a solo home run in the second inning against the Carolina Mudcats. He walked one, struck out two and threw 29 pitches, including 15 for strikes.

Hampton was making the sixth start of this rehabilitation assignment, having already built up to as many as five innings. He has been aiming to return to action after the All-Star break from a strained pectoral muscle that has delayed his comeback by 3 1/2 months and counting.

Hampton, who hasn't pitched in a major-league game since August 2005 because of multiple elbow surgeries, injured his pectoral muscle warming up in the bullpen for his first scheduled start in early April.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #1204
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Wait, Hampton is injured? No way - next thing you'll be telling me that Carl Pavano is too.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:12 PM   #1205
MikeVic
Head Coach

Tony Clark on the DBacks again.

Wasn't there something last year in one of these threads that mentioned he has the record for longest time in between stolen bases?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #1206
MikeVic
Head Coach

Dola,

I'm looking at Lou Gehrig's stats on Baseball Reference... and it lists his nickname as "Biscuit Pants." Can someone explain this to me? I've never heard him referred to as ol' Biscuit Pants.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #1207
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Dola,

I'm looking at Lou Gehrig's stats on Baseball Reference... and it lists his nickname as "Biscuit Pants." Can someone explain this to me? I've never heard him referred to as ol' Biscuit Pants.

sounds like that excites you
Old 07-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #1208
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
sounds like that excites you

Oh yeah, ol' Biscuit Pants Gehrig is a big turn on.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #1209
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
you stay classy Yankee fans

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allsta...ory?id=3491135

Having to grow up around fuck head Yankee fans I believe evey word of this.

would be nice if Rivera came out and told them to STFU
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #1210
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

One step closer to abandoning the Yankees. I have been a fan of this team for almost 30 years, and what I have seen the last 2-3 seasons makes me want to puke. Brian Cashman is a moron and a tool. Another Steinbrenner running the team now is just fantastic, Hank knows about as much about baseball as his father - which is nothing. Keeping Carl "bench splinters in his ass" Pavano is absurd. I deal with it. Keeping Jason "crybaby and overpaid" Giambi is a travesty, but I deal with it. Even re-signing drama queen Alex Rodriguez is something I, as a fan, deal with. Today they signed Richie Sexson. WTF???? Exactly what we need. Another fucking DH. Even worse, he is another DH that can't hit a wiffleball off a tee.

If the rumors turn into reality, and the Yankees indeed sign Barry Bonds, I am officially withdrawing my allegiance to this fucked up franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.

Last edited by RomaGoth : 07-17-2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Spelled his name wrong.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #1211
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
One step closer to abandoning the Yankees. I have been a fan of this team for almost 30 years, and what I have seen the last 2-3 seasons makes me want to puke. Brian Cashman is a moron and a tool. Another Steinbrenner running the team now is just fantastic, Hank knows about as much about baseball as his father - which is nothing. Keeping Carl "bench splinters in his ass" Pavano is absurd. I deal with it. Keeping Jason "crybaby and overpaid" Giambi is a travesty, but I deal with it. Even re-signing drama queen Alex Rodriguez is something I, as a fan, deal with. Today they signed Richie Sexson. WTF???? Exactly what we need. Another fucking DH. Even worse, he is another DH that can't hit a wiffleball off a tee.

If the rumors turn into reality, and the Yankees indeed sign Barry Bonds, I am officially withdrawing my allegiance to this fucked up franchise.

Abandoning the Yankees? What the hell is wrong with you? You think you're gonna have it better as a fan of any other team? Pardon every other fan in the universe for thinking that this rant is a bunch of tripe.

Poor baby. a bazillion championships. A 200 million dollar payroll. Cry me a fucking river.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #1212
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Darkiller's 49ers' rant still takes the cake.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #1213
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Abandoning the Yankees? What the hell is wrong with you? You think you're gonna have it better as a fan of any other team? Pardon every other fan in the universe for thinking that this rant is a bunch of tripe.

Poor baby. a bazillion championships. A 200 million dollar payroll. Cry me a fucking river.

Being a Yanks fan does not mean I like or have liked the way they do things. Teams like Arizona and Florida have shown that you can win without being a complete moron and making an embarassment of yourself and your once proud franchise. I have been tired of the spending spree that is the Yankees for a long time. I miss the days of Paul O'Neil and Tino Martinez. The late 90's was a time when the Yankees actually were a coherent team that knew how to play real baseball, not this fucked up mess that we have now. I am embarassed to even wear a Yankees hat out of my house anymore.

I do, however, appreciate your tears.

Quote:

Last edited by RomaGoth : 07-17-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
Old 07-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #1214
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

If Sexson gets regular playing time he could quite possibly finish with the worst B.A. of the modern era.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #1215
Jas_lov
College Starter

I don't know how you can abandon them either. They signed Sexson for the league minimum because it looks like Hideki Matsui will be done for the year.

You do realize that many of those high priced contracts that you talked about come off the books after this year don't you? Pavano, Giambi, Pettitte, Mussina, Abreu are all in the last years of their contracts so the Yankees will have plenty of money to go after big FAs after this season. And how can you be against them re-signing the best player in baseball?
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #1216
miked
College Starter

Quote:

Quite silly. Sexson is batting .344 vs. LHP with an OPS of 1.045. Giambi on the other hand is hitting .229 vs LHP. Is it really so bad?
Old 07-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #1217
molson
General Manager

You've really been a fan for 30 years? Even during the Stump Merrill/Dallas Green days? They've been in the playoffs 13 straight years, and are a good run away from being back again this year.

Let this be a lesson and comfort to the small market fans in the thread - expecations are the great equalizer. Seriously, how does a Yankee fan have any right to be threatening abandonment?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #1218
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Quite silly. Sexson is batting .344 vs. LHP with an OPS of 1.045. Giambi on the other hand is hitting .229 vs LHP. Is it really so bad?

Exactly, Sexson is there to take at bats vs. lefties from Giambi. Given the numbers, how can you blame the Yanks for signing him?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #1219
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
You've really been a fan for 30 years? Even during the Stump Merrill/Dallas Green days? They've been in the playoffs 13 straight years, and are a good run away from being back again this year.

Let this be a lesson and comfort to the small market fans in the thread - expecations are the great equalizer. Seriously, how does a Yankee fan have any right to be threatening abandonment?

Yes I have been a fan for nearly 30 years. And I have every right to feel however I want to feel about any team in any sport at any time of my choosing. My expectations are not that they should win the WS every year, rather that they are competent in the running of the organization and do things with class, which they do not anymore.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #1220
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I don't know how you can abandon them either. They signed Sexson for the league minimum because it looks like Hideki Matsui will be done for the year.

You do realize that many of those high priced contracts that you talked about come off the books after this year don't you? Pavano, Giambi, Pettitte, Mussina, Abreu are all in the last years of their contracts so the Yankees will have plenty of money to go after big FAs after this season. And how can you be against them re-signing the best player in baseball?

Cashman has already shown that he is incompetent as a GM. Why did the keep Pavano this entire time? They will more than likely re-sign Giambi, Pettite, Mussina, and Abreu, or some combination of those players. The only one I could remotely see keeping is Abreu.

As for the signing the best player in baseball, A-Rod is the best player in baseball when it doesn't matter. What the need is decent pitching, and Cashman just doesn't get it.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #1221
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

IIRC RomaGoth is a fan of about 15 other teams as well
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #1222
MrBug708
Head Coach

What difference does it make whether they keep him or release him? At least being on the DL, they can keep him on the 40 man in the hopes he can recover. It's not like the contract will be voided if they release him or that there is a salary cap that they need to be under
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #1223
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

And supposedly ARod left early at the all star game. Just shows why he will never be half the Yankee Jeter is. ( i am the biggest Jeter hater in the world but you can't deny what he is)
Old 07-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #1224
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
IIRC RomaGoth is a fan of about 15 other teams as well

Nah, only a few others and really none in baseball.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #1225
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
And supposedly ARod left early at the all star game. Just shows why he will never be half the Yankee Jeter is. ( i am the biggest Jeter hater in the world but you can't deny what he is)

Heh, and none of the Yankees even showed up at his post-game party.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #1226
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Yes I have been a fan for nearly 30 years. And I have every right to feel however I want to feel about any team in any sport at any time of my choosing. My expectations are not that they should win the WS every year, rather that they are competent in the running of the organization and do things with class, which they do not anymore.

You certainly have a right to feel and act however you want and to follow any team you want. But to abandon your team after 30 years when they've had a bad 1st half (though 5 games over ,500) after 13 consecutive playoff seasons? We've been down this road before with them, TB will fade and the Spanks will get a Wild Card at least. Hopefully you don't jump right back on the bandwaggon then.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #1227
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
You certainly have a right to feel and act however you want and to follow any team you want. But to abandon your team after 30 years when they've had a bad 1st half (though 5 games over ,500) after 13 consecutive playoff seasons? We've been down this road before with them, TB will fade and the Spanks will get a Wild Card at least. Hopefully you don't jump right back on the bandwaggon then.

This isn't some spur of the moment decision. This is a lot of frustration with a team that, yes, has had a lot of playoff appearances in the last decade. Is that a good thing? Of course it is. However, I do not like the path they are currently headed down. I can put up with a lot of nonsense from them, but what I was originally referring to is that if they sign that a-hole Bonds, I am done with them as a fan. Barry Bonds does not represent the type of team that I enjoy following, and if he signs with the Yankees that shows me the diretion that they are going in. This is not a bandwagon type of decision. No Bonds = fan. Bonds = no fan. Regardless of how they do this season or next.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #1228
Jas_lov
College Starter

The Yankees are not signing Barry Bonds. Nobody is. Cashman wouldn't completely rule it out so the NY Press blew it out of proportion like they do everything.

And Cashman has been stocking up the pitching prospects unlike in the past so how can you not like the path they're headed down? They kept Hughes, Kennedy, and Melky Cabrerra instead of trading them away. Why are they more than likely to re-sign Pavano, Giambi, Pettitte, Mussina, and Abreu? Pavano is done. Pettitte might retire. Mussina has had a resurgance so who knows about him. I could see them bringing Abreu back and maybe Giambi but certainly not for what they're making now. Giambi's OBP is almost .400 so he's not completely worthless. You just know they're gonna go after Sheets or Sabathia to put with Wang and Joba and create a strong 1-2-3 in the rotation for years to come. The Yankees do this every year. They play mediocre baseball for the 1st half and come on strong the 2nd half. I think you're overracting.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #1229
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I think you're overracting.

That could be, I am a Yankees fan after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
The Yankees are not signing Barry Bonds. Nobody is. Cashman wouldn't completely rule it out so the NY Press blew it out of proportion like they do everything.

And Cashman has been stocking up the pitching prospects unlike in the past so how can you not like the path they're headed down? They kept Hughes, Kennedy, and Melky Cabrera instead of trading them away. Why are they more than likely to re-sign Pavano, Giambi, Pettitte, Mussina, and Abreu? Pavano is done. Pettitte might retire. Mussina has had a resurgance so who knows about him. I could see them bringing Abreu back and maybe Giambi but certainly not for what they're making now. Giambi's OBP is almost .400 so he's not completely worthless. You just know they're gonna go after Sheets or Sabathia to put with Wang and Joba and create a strong 1-2-3 in the rotation for years to come. The Yankees do this every year. They play mediocre baseball for the 1st half and come on strong the 2nd half.

The jury is out on Hughes and Kennedy. Chamberlain should NOT be a starter, he is better suited out of the bullpen in the late innings to set up Rivera (or whoever is next in line for the closer role after he retires). I like Cabrera so I am glad they kept him. Someone in an earlier post mentioned why get rid of Pavano. Get rid of him because he stinks and has been hurt the entire time he has been a Yankee. I know that if I was hurt/didn't perform at my job I would be let go in a heartbeat. Giambi was overpaid in the first place, and he is a rather odd personality as well. I hope they don't go after Sheets (always hurt) or Sabathia (overweight and not getting any younger). I am just tired of seeing them sign these old guys all the time for too much money.

Quote:

Last edited by RomaGoth : 07-17-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Fixed numerous typos.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #1230
Jas_lov
College Starter

I strongly disagree with you about Chamberlain. His value as a starter is much greater than in the bullpen. Veras, Farnsworth, Edwar, and Rivera have been great since Joba became a starter so they haven't been the problem.

So you want the Yankees to get more pitching, but you don't want them to go after the 2 best pitchers available. I'm not sure what you want them to do.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #1231
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I hope they don't go after Sheets (always hurt) or Sabathia (overweight and not getting any younger). I am just tired of seeing them sign these old guys all the time for too much money.

you DO realize they have to wait until a guy gets to a certain age before they become a free agent.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #1232
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

they just gave a great stat about Jose Reyes on the Reds broadcast of the Mets-Reds game.

He is the first player in the history of baseball to have 20 doubles, 10 homers, 10 triples and 30 steals before the all star break
Old 07-17-2008, 06:23 PM   #1233
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
you DO realize they have to wait until a guy gets to a certain age before they become a free agent.

38? (aka Randy Johnson....)

Quote:
Old 07-17-2008, 06:25 PM   #1234
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Dola

Phillies get Blanton from the A's for 3 minor leaguers.

Quote:
Old 07-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #1235
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

but you said Sheets and Sabathia.

Andd since no one in baseball will trade with them their only option is to wait for a guy to hit free agency
Old 07-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #1236
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

man, Johnny Cueto looks nasty.

5 up 5K's
Old 07-18-2008, 07:15 AM   #1237
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
My expectations are not that they should win the WS every year, rather that they are competent in the running of the organization and do things with class, which they do not anymore.

The Royals run their franchise with class. Trust me, it's not all it's cracked up to be.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:41 AM   #1238
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The Royals run their franchise with class. Trust me, it's not all it's cracked up to be.
But, but, the Yankees players don't have beards. That defines class.

A Steinbrenner's run the team for 30+ years. There's a lot of ways I'd describe the Yankees, some of them complimentary, but classy certainly is the weirdest notion NY fans cling to.

(On-topic, Sexson's a fantastic signing as long as they just platoon him and he gets a hit or two early. And the only way they'll scare me the rest of the year is if they sign Barry Bonds.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #1239
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Teams like Arizona and Florida have shown that you can win without being a complete moron and making an embarassment of yourself and your once proud franchise.

Yes, both of those teams have a long, proud history. And, in particular, Florida has always run things the right way and has never done anything to embarass the organization. Twice.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-18-2008 at 08:06 AM. Reason: bad grammar
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #1240
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yes, both of those teams have a long, proud history. And, in particular, Florida has always run things the right way and have never done anything to embarass the organization. Twice.

SI

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #1241
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
man, Johnny Cueto looks nasty.

5 up 5K's

I read this, and then went to look at scores. Heh, guess you jinxed him.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #1242
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I read this, and then went to look at scores. Heh, guess you jinxed him.

I guess so, he was filthy early on.

Great win by the Mets though.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #1243
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yes, both of those teams have a long, proud history. And, in particular, Florida has always run things the right way and has never done anything to embarass the organization. Twice.

SI

Heh, perhaps not the best examples, especially Florida. With that being said, you never hear about any of their players getting divorced and going into a trance when listening to Madonna music.

Quote:
Old 07-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #1244
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So that's why you want to abandon the winningest franchise in sports for the last 15 years, because the best player in baseball who plays for said team gets divorced and goes with Madonna?

What, Jeter gets a pass because you like Mariah's signing better?!

Jeez... talk about jumping off the bandwagon. I'll echo the chorus, no Yankees fan is getting any sympathy from anyone about their team not doing as well as they thought.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #1245
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

You guys are all completely missing the point here. I am not jumping off the bandwagon as you all put it so gently. First of all, is it really a bandwagon if I have been a fan for 30 years? I think not. My point is that I do not like the way they are running the organization. In the past, we put up with George's stupid crap because the Yanks had some class even when he was making an ass out of himself. Guys like Don Mattingly and Paul O'Neill did things with class. It is not that way anymore. Instead, they throw money around like it is meaningless, and the guys they bring in are almost always worthless and way overpaid. I do not really see this changing in the near future, so yes I am somewhat on the fence right now as to whether I should keep following them or if I should take a break.

As for Jeter, he is not the media circus that A-Rod is. Ever since A-Rod came to the Yankees it has been one thing after another, and none of it good. When is the last time anything positive was mentioned in connection to his name.

Will I stop being a fan? I am not sure right now. A friend of mine who has been a Yankee fan for much longer than I have says who cares what they do anymore, it is all embarrassing. All he wants is for them to beat Boston. Maybe I should just take that approach instead and be like the other millions of brainless fans that don't care what their team does as long as they win, right?

Quote:
Old 07-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #1246
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Like said, this "class" thing is the wierdest thing I've ever heard about coming from the Yankees. Was Roger Clemens classy? But it was ok because World Series were being won, right?

And Hell, Thurmon Munson was never "classy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth
When is the last time anything positive was mentioned in connection to his name.

Oh, I dunno, those two AL MVP awards?!

Did you think you'd make the playoffs last year without him?

And the only things that have been negative are him running around with women... *gasp* same thing Jeter does! But it's ok for him because he's "Mr. Yankee". Blech. Let's also forget that Jeter is basically an average player at the plate this year, while A-Rod is the best bat by a good deal on the team.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-18-2008 at 06:23 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #1247
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Romagoth...please stop talking
Old 07-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #1248
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Like said, this "class" thing is the wierdest thing I've ever heard about coming from the Yankees. Was Roger Clemens classy? But it was ok because World Series were being won, right?

And Hell, Thurmon Munson was never "classy".

Cool - why are you stopping there in naming non-classy ex-Yankees, this could be fun:

Babe Ruth: Not Classy
Billy Martin: Not Classy
Reggie Jackson: Not Classy
Micky Mantle: Not Classy
Casey Stengel: Not Classy
Old 07-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #1249
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Old 07-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #1250
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Guys like Don Mattingly and Paul O'Neill did things with class. It is not that way anymore.

Wasn't Steve Howe on those Yankee teams with Mattingly and played a couple years into the O'Neil era?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote