Brian Orapko 3 3.45%
BJ Raji 4 4.60%
Jeremy Maclin 1 1.15%
Other(specify) 6 6.90%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #1201
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Brian Hoyer is TERRIBLE. Completed 51% of his passes in a simple offense. Had a lot of drops but his throws were never that impressive. MSU fans couldn't have been happier to see him go.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #1202
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Love the Navy kids. High character and high motor, no doubt. We had decent luck with Stephen Neal as a converted wrestler so that seems a gamble worth taking. Really excited to see they picked up Brian Hoyer. I remember watching workout video of him back around the senior bowl (or whichever one he was in) and just thinking that he was a very "smart" QB. Obviously he doesn't really have a chance to compete for much more than #3 on the depth chart, but good for him - and he gets a chance to learn from Brady. When they were interviewing him yesterday it seemed like he had a good head on his shoulders (despite being an MSU kid - *parents went to UM*)

Those Navy kids won't be able to contribute for a few years unfortunately.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #1203
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

seems that reports that they signed were premature anyways

and re Hoyer - that's why he'll be a #3...we'll see if he can cut the mustard and grow into something we can trade away in the future...if not he walks. i gotta believe BB and the scouts saw SOMETHING they liked in him enough to think he could at least be the #3 guy...maybe he carries a mean clipboard? Or they plan on using his head to blind opposing players from the sidelines?

if something happens to brady it's o'connell's team now anyways

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-27-2009 at 02:20 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #1204
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729 View Post
So the Browns were able to pick up Harrell out of Texas Tech as a UDFA. Not a bad choice to take a chance on. He should have a good chance at making the team

He'll have a good chance of making the team IF they move Quinn or Anderson. Otherwise, they picked up Ratliff from the Jets in the Sanchez deal, and he figures to be the Browns #3 QB. If not higher, depending on how much Mangini likes him.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #1205
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Just saw this video posted as I missed it during the draft, but what a lack of class those guys on ESPN have. I understand if you want to rip on Al and Raiders in general, he certainly gives plenty opportunity but to talk about a kid like this and just laugh at him on his big day right before having him on was extremely lame.

He handled it with class unlike ESPN.
Honestly I think you're a little oversensitive on this one. Cris Carter may have been a bit over the line and Tom Jackson's laughter didn't help, but they were doing their jobs. Just because it's draft day is no reason to pull punches -- that's the same thing Carter would say on game day. The kid handled it OK but I will bet you anything before the interview that he hadn't seen what ESPNews was saying about him.

It didn't seem to hurt Trev Alberts (emotionally at least) when Mel Kiper said following his selection that the Colts have no idea what the draft is about and that's why they draft second every year.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 04-27-2009 at 04:22 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #1206
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Honestly I think you're a little oversensitive on this one. Cris Carter may have been a bit over the line and Tom Jackson's laughter didn't help, but they were doing their jobs. Just because it's draft day is no reason to pull punches -- that's the same thing Carter would say on game day. The kid handled it OK but I will bet you anything before the interview that he hadn't seen what ESPNews was saying about him.

Based on reading his facial expressions I would say he probably did. He definitely was more somber than when he was interviewed by the Raiders. I'm sure I am being sensitive on this, but those guys were extremely unprofessional. The people over on NFL network were critical without being asses.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #1207
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Brian Hoyer is TERRIBLE. Completed 51% of his passes in a simple offense. Had a lot of drops but his throws were never that impressive. MSU fans couldn't have been happier to see him go.

Agreed. Never rule anything out since BB got Cassel, but there really wasn't anything Hoyer did there to warrant a look. The offense was basically take a good back and jam him down your throat. Hoyer had enough credible college level talent at WR along with the running game to make it very hard for any QB to not look decent. Considering Stanton was a vastly better talent and can't even break through for the Lions, and the Pats are suppose to have lovey dovey eyes for O'Connell, this is nothing, but seeing if he can beat out Gutierrrez, who is mostly known as the stopgap between Navarre and Henne when he was at Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
He'll have a good chance of making the team IF they move Quinn or Anderson. Otherwise, they picked up Ratliff from the Jets in the Sanchez deal, and he figures to be the Browns #3 QB. If not higher, depending on how much Mangini likes him.

Yep. I would rather have him go to a team that doesn't have a log jam at QB. Seattle would have been an interesting place for him to go.

Quote:
"It definitely was a shock," Campbell said, "when I started hearing Sanchez talk."

Jason Campbell shocked by Washington Redskins' interest in Mark Sanchez - ESPN

Not sure why he's shocked at this point. They have been rumored far too much at trying to move him. He can't be all that excited they brought in Chase as well.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #1208
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Based on reading his facial expressions I would say he probably did. He definitely was more somber than when he was interviewed by the Raiders. I'm sure I am being sensitive on this, but those guys were extremely unprofessional. The people over on NFL network were critical without being asses.

These kids have to grow up pretty quick because I can guarantee you what Carter and Jackson did was far less insulting than what 99% of bloggers/columnists/etc. are saying right now. There is always a dark side to success and unfortunately this kid is going to learn about it the hard way. At least he seems like he's a decent, respectful kid and will have the support system to be able to handle the immense pressure he's going to be under in Oakland.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 04-27-2009 at 06:13 PM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #1209
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
These kids have to grow up pretty quick because I can guarantee you what Carter and Jackson did was far less insulting than what 99% of bloggers/columnists/etc. are saying right now. There is always a dark side to success and unfortunately this kid is going to learn about it the heard way. At least he seems like he's a decent, respectful kid and will have the support system to be able to handle the immense pressure he's going to be under in Oakland.

That's all fine and I agree, but still doesn't excuse a lack of class by Carter and Jackson for me.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:41 PM   #1210
timmynausea
College Starter

The Dolphins waived John Beck today, so Pat White will definitely be a QB. That's a rough fall for Beck, though - from the 40th pick (2.8) in 2007 to a guy that nobody would trade anything for in April 2009.

Miami Dolphins release quarterback John Beck - Miami Dolphins - MiamiHerald.com
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #1211
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
The Dolphins waived John Beck today, so Pat White will definitely be a QB. That's a rough fall for Beck, though - from the 40th pick (2.8) in 2007 to a guy that nobody would trade anything for in April 2009.

Can't wait for the first reporter to ask RichRod which QB he wants to see win the job, White or Henne.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #1212
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Cam could have started him in a home game after a bye, where he'd have two weeks to prepare. Instead, he started him the following week, when he'd be at short rest on a road game in Philly, followed by a road game at Pittsburgh.

Maybe Beck just wasn't that good, but Cam pretty much ruined any chance of him getting a good start.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #1213
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post

I give him props for the way he handled being cut. Be nice to see him get a chance elsewhere.

Of course, I'm thrilled that they're giving White his shot at QB.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #1214
Radii
Head Coach

I didn't see this posted, hopefully I'm not duplicating info that's already out there:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...aft/index.html

Mangini loves Abram Elam apparently, and the browns tried to pick him up as an RFA, but the Jets matched the offer to hang on to him. Because of that, a rule goes into effect where the Jets cannot trade him to the Browns without his consent.

Quote:
Late Friday, Ryan got on the phone with Elam and explained the lay of the land. The conversation went something like: We don't know if this is going to happen, but we know you had some interest in going to the Browns in March, and now we've got Jim Leonhard and Kerry Rhodes at safety, and you probably have a better chance to start in Cleveland, and you are Eric's kind of guy, but if the trade doesn't happen you've got to come back to us, and you're going to be a great player for us ...

I can imagine that was a fun conversation for everyone involved to get his consent in advance for a trade that may or may not happen.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #1215
Galaril
Pro Starter

I was surprised at how well the Tiatns drafted this year. For once they imrpoved afair amount for the year before between the draft and free agency. I think between Jovan Haye,DT (FA) and Deserrico Marks, DT (2nd round) they can get about 70-75% if not more of Haynesworth contribution from last season. No way to replace the guy who played last season but close will do.
They appear to have really enhanced the receiving corps with Nate Washington, WR (FA) and Kenny Britt (1st round) as well as a very good TE prospect Jared Cook, (3rd round) who ran a 4.4 seconds 40 yard dash during the combine. He should be a good upgrade along with the third round pick from last season Craig Stevens and returning franchise player Bo Scaife. On the defense back 7 they added a future starting OLB, McRath probably a replacement for David Thornton or Bulluck when there contracts run out in 2011. They also add great returner and solid Mouton who could be penciled in as a solid nickel/dime back. The only other real contributor could be a reall steal is the Javon Ringer pick since it is pretty obvious after how Haynesworth contract stuff went there is no way the Titans resign LenDale White after this season no matter how well he does. In anycase, Ringer will almost certainly contribute and could easily pass White by the end of the season on the Depth Chart. Overall it was avery good draft and the only real negative was trading away next year's 2nd rounder to the Pats?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #1216
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I can imagine that was a fun conversation for everyone involved to get his consent in advance for a trade that may or may not happen.
Sounds like the Skins and Campbell - "Listen, if we can't find anybody else (like Cutler, Sanchez or maybe someone else down the road) - you're our guy at QB!"
Old 04-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #1217
Logan
Head Coach

This was posted on a 49ers board.

Quote:
Wingspan Measurements

'09 Draft Class Receivers

Michael Crabtree: 34.25"

Kenny Britt: 34"

Darrius Heyward-Bey: 33.625"

Jeremy Maclin: 32.5"

Percy Harvin: 31.625"

Brian Robiskie: 31.5"

Derrick Williams: 31"

'09 Class Offensive Linemen

Eugene Monroe: 33.875"

Jason Smith: 33.75"

Michael Oher: 33.5"

Alex Mack: 33"

Eben Britton: 32.75"

Notable Current NFL WRs

Calvin Johnson (6'5"): 33.375"

Braylon Edwards (6'4"): 33.125"

Brandon Marshall (6'4"): 32.625"

Vincent Jackson (6'4"): 33.625"

Not bad for the kid.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:35 AM   #1218
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I guess that's one arm, right? Usually when you hear wingspan with NBA players, it's something like 7' for the really long guys. I somehow doubt that Crabtree at 6'3" or whatever he is only has half the wingspan of a 6'9" guy in the NBA

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #1219
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I guess that's one arm, right? Usually when you hear wingspan with NBA players, it's something like 7' for the really long guys. I somehow doubt that Crabtree at 6'3" or whatever he is only has half the wingspan of a 6'9" guy in the NBA

SI

Seems like they're measuring "reach" (or whatever) like they do for boxers.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #1220
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Did Eric Wood play the fat kid in Bad Santa when he was younger?

Guess Deadspin agrees..
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #1221
RedKingGold
College Starter

Heh. Only on Page 2 and there's some gems so far, like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I AM SO FUCKING PISSED.

I've watched a lot of Stafford lately, and I can honestly say that he's a late 1st or 2nd round pick any other year.

Another fuck up for my Lions. Instead of drafting an impact player like Curry, that take a scrub like Stafford. Thanks fucking Georgia. I hate the Bulldogs now.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #1222
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

solid bump
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #1223
bhlloy
Coordinator

I will miss Al Davis. That is all.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #1224
Racer
College Benchwarmer

LOL. I apparently voted for Jason Smith as the player who would become the best player in this draft.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #1225
bhlloy
Coordinator

Never mind that, WTF happened to Aaron Curry as the most sure thing to come out of the draft in forever?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #1226
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - just checked wikipedia, first pick to make a pro bowl so far is BJ Raji at 9, although some solid players later in the draft. Horrible at the top though.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #1227
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The Crabtree love is funny as well
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #1228
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I will miss Al Davis. That is all.

lol, I imagine all non Raiders fans will. Im looking forward to drafting without him
Old 04-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #1229
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Nicks is the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Guarantee they will regret this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I agree. I have seen every game of Britts career, whoever gets him is going to be really lucky.

Amazingly underrated given the fact he was the bie east all time receiving leader in just 3 seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Nicks also won't play like anything close to a $10 mil a year talent. He's an injury prone WR. Don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
No shit. Nicks is the shortest "big guy" I've ever seen. Add in the 11 on the Wonderlic, his fluctuating weight, I heard he dropped like 5 straight balls from the machine in his pro day workout...sounds like the Giants should have just given that extra opportunity to Mario Manningham.

oops
Old 04-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #1230
Logan
Head Coach

Eh...that was all me being pissed about them taking Nicks over Britt.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #1231
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

You know it's bad when looking up some of those picks and an article on one of them is how his pay cut wasn't so bad. Yay?

As pay cuts go, Jason Smith's not so bad - NFC West Blog - ESPN
Old 04-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #1232
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I didn't vote in the original poll but I really liked Nicks (was pissed when Miami passed him up) but would've selected Curry. Then again, I thought LeVar Arrington was going to be a star.

I'm fairly decent at picking QB's who will succeed (was floored when Miami passed on Brees' to select CB Jamal Fletcher) but obviously suck when it comes to picking linebackers.