Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #1201
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
It's entirely likely that a big-market NBA team will be turning a nine-figure annual profit within the next 10 or so years (the Knicks had an operating income of $96 million last season, and the Clippers will have a bigger national and local TV deal on the horizon), so even when you throw out the various perks of spending your retirement years hobnobbing with celebrities courtside while vicariously living out your sports fantasies, he still might come out ahead.

edit: and net worth-wise, this is the equivalent of Joe Sixpack buying a shiny new pickup truck to drive around in his retirement.

Exactly. Balmer is worth something like 50 billion. Small loss if he doesn't get a return on his investment - but he will.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #1202
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I didn't see if he's reffed lately, but I hear Joey Crawford's music.

NBA.com - Referee Assignments

Apparently we'll know about 9am in the morning

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:16 AM   #1203
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Scott Foster, the potentially crooked Donaghey associate. Hats off to Silver, he's not messing around.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #1204
miami_fan
Coordinator

2014 NBA playoffs -- Larry Bird to Lance Stephenson on antics - 'Don't do it again' - ESPN

My favorite part of the article

Quote:
When asked what would have happened had Stephenson blown in Bird's ear in a playoff game during Bird's playing days, Stephenson was blunt.

"There probably would've been a fight," he said. "But this is a different type of game from the '90s. You can't throw blows."
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #1205
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Let's see Stephenson blow into Laimbeer's ear.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #1206
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cmon Jasmine Forsythe
Old 05-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #1207
nol
Banned

Miami's offense has been rolling for the last couple minutes and is about to make the real subplot of this game whatever performance art Lance Stephenson's putting on right now. Probably upwards of a 90 percent chance he gets ejected at some point.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #1208
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Something about Superman's cape...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #1209
Groundhog
Coordinator

Well this game has officially wasted my Saturday morning.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:04 PM   #1210
Groundhog
Coordinator

I can't remember if the sign and trade rules changed recently? But that's what I'd be trying to do with Lance Stephenson if I ran the Pacers. See if you can fleece a bad team for a draft pick.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 PM   #1211
nol
Banned

That'd be a disaster waiting to happen. He played on a team that made the conference finals and was a 1 seed, and his own teammates could barely stand him. It's that much more annoying if it's taking place on a 30-52 team.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #1212
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lance to the Cavs!
Old 05-30-2014, 10:25 PM   #1213
Groundhog
Coordinator

Lance to me seems like he's destined to be a scorer on a bad team. Tell me he wouldn't look perfect on a lottery-bound Bucks squad.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:33 PM   #1214
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Something about Superman's cape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vogel View Post
I don’t think it’s ever good to tug on Superman’s cape.

Also the Bucks would be wise to not let Stephenson anywhere near Giannis and Wiggins/Embiid.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:06 AM   #1215
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I know I want Stephenson gone. Badly. Guys like that kill a team.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:19 PM   #1216
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ugh...NO NO NO

Kevin Love visits Boston - Boston Celtics Blog - ESPN Boston
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #1217
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Still wanting that one more title for Timmay.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #1218
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Predictions?

I say Spurs in 5. I think all the games will be close but the Spurs depth and the revenge factor will play a major part. I think Ginoballi has a huge series.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #1219
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I hope Miami gets it done.
Really really hope Miami gets it done, but I think the Spurs will be too much barring a rejuvenation by Wade and 5 games of 2005 level play.

All this is assuming the Spurs are draining 3s like they were last year. If they go cold behind the arc this will be done in 5, at most.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 06-01-2014 at 09:43 AM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #1220
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Predictions?

I say Spurs in 5. I think all the games will be close but the Spurs depth and the revenge factor will play a major part. I think Ginoballi has a huge series.

I think the scales are still in the Heat's favor. San Antonio is banged up and the Heat had most of a cakewalk to the Finals. Still, the Spurs will play pissed but Miami still has that higher gear to kick into that I'm not sure San Antonio can always match.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #1221
Dutch
"Dutch"

Heat in 6 is my guess.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #1222
nol
Banned

I think Spurs in 6 if Parker's not too injured. They almost have to win in 5 or 6 because I wouldn't pick against LeBron in a game 7.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #1223
bob
College Starter

I wish we didn't have to wait almost a week in between the end of this round and the start of the next.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #1224
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Former New Jersey Nets owner Lewis Katz dies in plane crash - ESPN New York
Old 06-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #1225
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
My opinion on a trade will come down to what we give up. Having Kevin Love amenable to Boston, or actively pushing Minnesota to pick Boston over other teams can only be a good thing.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #1226
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Love and a assumedly healthy Rondo is a solid core. Boston could fill in pieces and rebuild.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #1227
korme
Go Reds

Isn't Rubio just a poor man's Rondo at this point?
Old 06-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #1228
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He's like a mcdonalds worker version of Rondo.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #1229
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Love and a assumedly healthy Rondo is a solid core. Boston could fill in pieces and rebuild.

Love isn't going to a rebuild, not unless he's traded without signing a new deal anyway. If he goes to Boston, they will need to show him a plan which has them contending quickly.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #1230
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I don't see Love as a key piece in a contender.

Given I haven't watched a ton of NBA so I don't really know, but that's just my off-the-cuff impression.

He's a big-body who's mediocre on defense and plays at a spot/in a style that isn't that of a "premier scorer." Plus...I dunno...he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who draws double-teams/makes his teammates better. He needs a Rubio/Rondo/elite PG to feed him, and other scorers around him to get him favorable matchups.

As a piece of your team:

1st option: C
2nd option: B- ?
3rd option: A

That's just my impression and admittedly I'm not really an NBA fan, so I'd love for someone to tell me that I'm wrong.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-01-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #1231
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Given I haven't watched a ton of NBA so I don't really know, but that's just my off-the-cuff impression.

He's a big-body who's mediocre on defense and plays at a spot/in a style that isn't that of a "premier scorer." Plus...I dunno...he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who draws double-teams/makes his teammates better. He needs a Rubio/Rondo/elite PG to feed him, and other scorers around him to get him favorable matchups.

As a piece of your team:

That's just my impression and admittedly I'm not really an NBA fan, so I'd love for someone to tell me that I'm wrong.

You're wrong. He's better than you're giving him credit for.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #1232
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

As a piece of your team:

You're wrong.

Here's what Zach Lowe had to say about Love in March:

"We can debate Love’s shortcomings, and loudly revoke his superstar card for failing to lead his team to the playoffs in any of his first six seasons. And he has shortcomings. He offers no rim protection, he lollygags in transition defense, he’s not going to make spirited second and third rotations on the same defensive possession, and he often fails to challenge shots in order to secure boxout position — and precious rebounds. Love wants his numbers.

He generally plays hard, and he strikes me and others around the league as someone who will grow out of his bad habits. He’s never going to be an elite defender, but he can be an average one, and he has a quick mind and sound understanding of where he needs to be.

He is an offense unto himself — a 3-point bombing machine who warps entire defenses Dirk Nowitzki–style, dominates the glass, passes well, and has developed a strong post game that draws regular double-teams. He’d have made the playoffs by now had the Wolves not whiffed on so many draft picks and free-agency signings. If a team can get Kevin Love, it should get him. He is a superstar, period. David Kahn’s refusal to offer Love the full five-year max deal in 2012 wasn’t just a mistake. It was one of the great front-office blunders in modern NBA history."

Last edited by korme : 06-01-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #1233
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Okay, so maybe I'm wrong then. That's reassuring.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #1234
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

He's essentially David Lee, only better at everything. With potential to be an average defender eventually.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #1235
Groundhog
Coordinator

Spurs in 6, but I wouldn't be shocked if Heat won. I just think this year's Spurs are better than last year's, and this year's Heat are worse.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #1236
Groundhog
Coordinator

You can win with a numbers guy like Love, but you need the right pieces around him - basically a team built to compliment his weaknesses. You need a rim protector at C, a playmaker at PG, and 3/D guys at SG/SF who can take advantage of the attention that Love will get and also lock down on perimeter players and play good team defense, which is why Minnesota didn't work - they were a gambling team with no rim protection, which is a recipe for distaster.

Re: Celtics Rondo would work very well on pick-and-pops with Love, as Love's defender can't jam Rondo off the pick as he'll need to cover Love. Bradley can probably be the 3/D guy. Green is not a great fit, and neither is Olynyk.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #1237
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

If we're just talking team, the Warriors are a near perfect fit - the problem is you need to give up some of these guys to get him:

PG Curry - still makes too many stupid passes, but is enough of a passer to distribute well. Plus his shooting will help relax the D.
SG Thompson - your perfect 3/D guy. Plays very good defense, and is nearly as good with the three pointers as Steph.
SF Iguodala - Great defense with distribution skills and the ability to score on his own if necessary.
PF Love
C Bogut - One of the best defensive C's in the league when healthy, plus he can pass really well.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #1238
nol
Banned

Crazy stat I just saw - before this season, teams were 0-25 all time in playoff series when matched up against a team that swept them 4-0 or worse during the regular season.

Now, they're 2-25 all time (Miami/Brooklyn and San Antonio/Oklahoma City).
Old 06-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #1239
Groundhog
Coordinator

I have to say, the Spurs gave Fisher a nice retirement gift - switching Duncan and Diaw onto him in the post every opportunity they got. He actually did OK a few times, fighting to keep Duncan out of position. Good coaching by the Spurs to counting the switching though, I don't think that's a strategy you should use against a Pop-coached team.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #1240
Groundhog
Coordinator

In 25 minutes of overtime during playoffs, Russell Westbrook shot 1-21 from field and 0-7 from three. He had just 5 points in all overtimes.
— Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) June">https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/statuses/473140651484512256">June 1, 2014
Old 06-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #1241
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I say Spurs in 5.

There's no way in hell Lebron let's that happen.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #1242
Groundhog
Coordinator

Starting 5s are going to be interesting. I think Bosh/Lewis works this series as well and forces Spurs to start maybe Diaw or even Bonner again.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #1243
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
There's no way in hell Lebron let's that happen.

This. Heat get the threepeat, LeBron wants history and the Spurs are only advancing because Ibaka took the first two games off before those horse steroids they gave him to come back took effect and Brooks can't coach out of a paper bag and none of the superstars on that team showed up.

But yes, Heat in 6.

Also Kevin Love is a walking double-double...so long as he's not your go-to guy, he's a hell of a boost to any roster...
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #1244
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
You can win with a numbers guy like Love, but you need the right pieces around him - basically a team built to compliment his weaknesses. You need a rim protector at C, a playmaker at PG, and 3/D guys at SG/SF who can take advantage of the attention that Love will get and also lock down on perimeter players and play good team defense, which is why Minnesota didn't work - they were a gambling team with no rim protection, which is a recipe for distaster.

This is also underselling Love a bit because a lineup like that is like playing Bingo with four free spaces - you could throw in pretty much any PF and that team would be pushing 50 wins.

There are maybe 15 guys in the league who could credibly be described as 3-and-D wings once you throw out players who are flat-out stars. A lineup of Ty Lawson, Wes Matthews, Kawhi Leonard, and Omer Asik easily has the makings of a top-5 defense as long as the bench and PF aren't terrible. Plug in an average player like Brandon Bass as the PF and that team's better than the Raptors and right there in the playoff race in the West.

You definitely want a shotblocker to pair with Love, but you don't need to set that high of a bar for the supporting cast. I'll be the first to say that Love is nowhere close to a prime KG, but he's definitely more than a guy putting up numbers on a crappy team if only because the "crappy team" was average to above-average based on its regular season record playing in the West.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #1245
Danny
Head Coach

Derek Fisher is going to be a hall of famer. Not specifically for his time as a player, but for his overall contributions when its all said and done
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:15 AM   #1246
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I was with you right up until:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
...and right there in the playoff race in the West...

Sorry, you need a bit more than that to be viable in the West. Unless you're talking about the race for the 6-7-8 seeds and bounced in the first round, that is.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:28 AM   #1247
nol
Banned

That's what I'm talking about. See also: pushing 50 wins.

And even then, the West's 6-7-8 seeds all lost in Game 7, so it's not like those teams were sacrificial lambs. San Antonio's a powerhouse that won 58 games in the regular season without playing anyone more than 30 minutes per game, but if they had slipped up it wouldn't have been crazy to see any of the other teams make it to the Finals with a little luck.

That made-up team with an average PF wouldn't be quite at that level, but I brought that up to show how with an "ideal" supporting cast that doesn't include other All-Stars/superstars, Love would absolutely be the go-to scorer on a powerhouse team (and he's not a bad enough individual defender to sink a defense that has multiple lockdown perimeter defenders and a good rim protector). Obviously it's not realistic to be able to surround him with that kind of talent given the salary cap, but Love with a supporting cast just a little better than Minnesota's (not the worst, but Rubio's shooting makes it harder for him to make plays for others in crunch time, Martin and Brewer equal 1 3-and-D guy combined, and Pekovic's not a great rim protector) would definitely be a good team, unless your definition of "good" is only able to accommodate like 3-4 teams per season.

Again, the fact that the conferences were so imbalanced this year that the T-Wolves would've won more games than the Raptors if both teams played the same schedule weakens any argument based on making the playoffs/finishing over .500.

Last edited by nol : 06-02-2014 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #1248
nol
Banned

As an unscientific (very unscientific, when you see who actually got some votes) way of looking at how rare 3-and-D wings are, here's a list of all the wings who received All-Defense votes and shot 35% or better on 3-pointers: Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, Andre Iguodala, LeBron James, Lance Stephenson, P.J. Tucker, Kevin Durant, Trevor Ariza, Klay Thompson, Wes Matthews, Nic Batum, DeMarre Carroll, Arron Afflalo, Danny Granger (oops?) and James Harden (seriously got 2 votes).

I'm sure you can look through the 3-point percentage leaders and find guys like Kyle Korver who at least deserved some votes, but I don't think they screwed up the vote badly enough to completely omit anyone who'd be considered a potential lockdown defender.

That's like 5-6 guys who won't be making $10 million or more next season (Sefolosha had an off year shooting threes and would be part of that group otherwise), so they definitely don't grow on trees. Most teams have to sacrifice a little in the shooting or defense department or hope they get lucky in the draft.

Last edited by nol : 06-02-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #1249
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Had a scary thought, which is likely impossible because of the cap, but scary anyway.

Best ever PF Duncan wins fifth title and retires. Spurs find way to acquire Love to replace him. Dynasty continues.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #1250
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Had a scary thought, which is likely impossible because of the cap, but scary anyway.

Best ever PF Duncan wins fifth title and retires. Spurs find way to acquire Love to replace him. Dynasty continues.

It wouldn't, partly because they'd lose too much on defense but more because Duncan retiring means Popovich is pretty likely to bow out as well.

Actually the main reason against that would be because Love seems to be angling for a bigger market. Star players like to claim to be all about winning championships, but clearly money, fame and putting up numbers play some role in it since you never hear about San Antonio as a possible free agent destination. And that's not necessarily a bad thing; it just means that most players are only human (like the fans who claim to hate me-first basketball but also find the Spurs boring).