Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #12601
RainMaker
General Manager

I also think it's a big issue to him because his mind is still back in the 90's. Tariffs were a huge issue with NAFTA passing. Same with China and currency manipulation (which they don't do anymore). Heck, even the national anthem bit is back from another era.

Maybe it's just him or maybe as people get older their mind fixates on issues that were important from when they were younger.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #12602
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yeah it's kind of weird. Democrats for what it's worth have mostly been about free trade for the past few decades. It was one of the areas that both parties agreed on. And rightfully so as most of the studies have shown that it's beneficial to all parties.

Tariffs are a real far-left trade stance and I'm kind of surprised they've come back. I do think after Trump is gone Republicans will go back to how they were on the issue. It creates a weird form of welfare where the government is choosing winners and losers in business mostly to gain votes from specific parts of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I also think it's a big issue to him because his mind is still back in the 90's. Tariffs were a huge issue with NAFTA passing. Same with China and currency manipulation (which they don't do anymore). Heck, even the national anthem bit is back from another era.

Maybe it's just him or maybe as people get older their mind fixates on issues that were important from when they were younger.

Trump is basically channeling Pat Buchanan here. Back in the 90s, being anti-free trade wasn't just a left thing, but something the right was also in favor (with calls to produce things in the country, "buy American" and all that). Those in the middle (Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush) were pro free trade, and generally the anti-trade folks became more on the far left (the 'fair trade' movement).

Trump is just re-shaking the cobwebs of the 'Buy American' Buchananites.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #12603
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Trump is basically channeling Pat Buchanan here. Back in the 90s, being anti-free trade wasn't just a left thing, but something the right was also in favor (with calls to produce things in the country, "buy American" and all that). Those in the middle (Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush) were pro free trade, and generally the anti-trade folks became more on the far left (the 'fair trade' movement).

Trump is just re-shaking the cobwebs of the 'Buy American' Buchananites.

You're right. And the comparison to Buchanan is spot-on in more ways than just trade. Their views on race and sex are nearly identical. They both favor authoritarianism to democracy.

Difference is Trump has the personality that Buchanan lacked.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #12604
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Maybe I wasn't cool enough in high school. Were these 'train' rapes common for anyone?

I know they happened. I went to school around the same time but not in the same social standing. But yes. I knew of several parties like that and knew who where involved. None of the girls ever pressed charges btw, and at least one girl transferred schools afterward.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #12605
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't remember hearing about anything in high school but there was stuff in college I remember hearing. Parties where people got drunk and high and stuff happened. Don't think it was ever someone being held down screaming or anything, but stories about girls more or less passed out.

I should add this was late 90's-early 2000's so things had changed. Girls were much more careful when it came to covering their drinks and even looking out for one another. From what I gathered, stuff was much more prominent before then.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-26-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #12606
Drake
assmaster

When I was in high school, we weren't even sure what to do when a girl showed up at parties. Sulk silently and drink more, mostly.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #12607
cuervo72
Head Coach

I...never got invited to any parties.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #12608
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Evidently the spouses of people here on H1B visas that work is another undesirable class. The admin is moving to do away with H4 visas, which allow spouses of people with H1Bs to work in the US. We are going to lose one of our best developers if this happens.

Yes I will lose three of my top cyber security threat researchers on my team. They are all from India and there spouses all working on masters degrees or PhDs. These guys also frankly even at late 20s are lapping my US educated team of twenty other people on work load, effort and results.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:22 PM   #12609
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I...never got invited to any parties.

Me neither. Hell, I barely went in college because I needed to work and graduate in 4 years with good grades. I'd go back and change that if I could, but it has at least served me well.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:23 PM   #12610
PilotMan
Head Coach

dola

So if Trump already knows what the FBI should and shouldn't investigate in all things, because he already knows what is what, why have an FBI?

Like Steam?

Old 09-26-2018, 08:26 PM   #12611
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

To gather evidence against the President’s enemies, of course.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #12612
Thomkal
Head Coach

And now we know why the staff didn't want him to give a lot of press conferences:

Trump says sexual misconduct allegations against Kavanaugh set 'dangerous standard'
Old 09-26-2018, 09:00 PM   #12613
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The idea is to protect American jobs and the American manufacturing industry. Make it more expensive to do business with China so that doing business in America becomes a better value.

I would add China cheating on IP (Intellectual Property) is high on this list also. If it was just on manufacturing I will be disappointed. And I'm sure its also, like the Chinese suspect, to blunt China's economic growth and emergence.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:13 PM   #12614
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Yikes. The first two allegations were vague and suspect enough they could be waved away, this one is a lot more explosive. Idk if it'll matter to the committee, but you just need two of Collins, Flake, Murkowski etc to vote against it (or convince McConnell they'll vote against it) for the nomination to be withdrawn.

Let's hear it from her two other witnesses. The nomination should be delayed to let this play out IMO. I'm still willing to give him benefit of doubt at this time but there's enough stuff popping up for committee to do some due diligence.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...-could-n912491
Quote:
Swetnick said in her statement that she later told at least two other people about the attack. She also says that she can identify other witnesses who could verify her statements. No additional witnesses have been identified or come forward yet
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #12615
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

From my untrained legal mind Blasey Ford is killing it. Even my far right in laws are admitting how credible she is.

Would love to hear from the lawyers and people smarter than me.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:49 AM   #12616
jct32
Mascot

Not saying I’m smarter than you but her testimony so far has been much more believable than her previous vague remarks. So I agree.
jct32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #12617
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Well you've gone and shot yourself in the foot now haven't you?

Like Steam?

Old 09-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #12618
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Incredibly hard to watch. About half of the students in my program are 15-17 year old girls sexually assulted from their comprehensive school and wanting change. Fords testimonial is incredibly similar to the stories and trauma we deal with here.

It’s heartbreaking to see how these incredibly resilient kids may still be significantly traumatized decades later.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:24 AM   #12619
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Incredibly hard to watch. About half of the students in my program are 15-17 year old girls sexually assulted from their comprehensive school and wanting change. Fords testimonial is incredibly similar to the stories and trauma we deal with here.

It’s heartbreaking to see how these incredibly resilient kids may still be significantly traumatized decades later.

Ugh.

I can't even imagine.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #12620
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post

That is just heartbreaking, and shocking to see the numbers this still happens to.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #12621
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Give McConnell credit, he told Trump Kavanaugh would be a risky pick.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:19 PM   #12622
Logan
Head Coach

Kavanaugh really looking like the ideal person to receive a life long appointment to the highest court in the land.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:37 PM   #12623
mckerney
Coordinator

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #12624
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

This is tough to watch. The calender thing seems weird to me though.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #12625
Galaril
Pro Starter

Yeah this is tough to watch. Yet, there are plenty of people in prison who very convincingly say they are innocent.

Last edited by Galaril : 09-27-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #12626
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Reading social media people
From both sides have already made up their minds and nothing will sway them. I suspect the same is true for the committee members. This is all a dog and pony show.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #12627
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Kavanaugh is not helping himself here. He seems almost unhinged going from anger to crying in the space of a minute. You would expect him to have been coached to be more calm.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #12628
tarcone
Coordinator

Guilty until proven innocent. Welcome to America.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #12629
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Don't worry, snowflake. Nothing bad is going to happen to Ol' Brettie.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #12630
Galaril
Pro Starter

If even he could have been an unbiased SC judge if he gets on the court he is going to remember this attack as he obviously blames the democrats solely.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #12631
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Kavanaugh is not helping himself here. He seems almost unhinged going from anger to crying in the space of a minute. You would expect him to have been coached to be more calm.

I think you'd only expect it if your entire experience with human beings was television courtroom dramas. His real-time emotional reactions strike me as the most credible parts of his presentation.

(Not saying at all that it means he's telling the truth. People committed to covering their asses also have real-time emotional reactions.)

That said, I don't think it is going to do him any favors in the public consciousness.

I'm just glad I don't have to be the deciding vote in this particular he said/she said pick 'em. I don't think I could ever work myself into a 100% confidence that I'd made the right choice between the two narrative presentations.

Quote:
If even he could have been an unbiased SC judge if he gets on the court he is going to remember this attack as he obviously blames the democrats solely.

I don't care which side of the aisle you're on, I happen to think that as long as we have gamesmanship in politics, the game *should be* a blood sport. Ifdon't want to live in a society where people can just make consequence-free accusations and that's an accepted part of the game, and whoever has the most power wins. If you make the charge and lose, you'd better be willing to accept that there will be downstream consequences. It's part of the natural checks and balances that keeps people from automatically defaulting to nuclear options.

I do understand that means justice won't always be served. People who are telling the truth will be disbelieved. Sometimes the bad guys win.

Last edited by Drake : 09-27-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #12632
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Perhaps you have confused a Senate confirmation with a criminal court.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:15 PM   #12633
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
From my untrained legal mind Blasey Ford is killing it. Even my far right in laws are admitting how credible she is.

Good liars always seem credible.

And coming out 36 years later. Really? Esp. with the recent #metoo movement.
I call BS on this thing.

Politicizing this only hurts legitimate sexual assault victims.

Shame on the politicians.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #12634
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Perhaps you have confused a Senate confirmation with a criminal court.

Perhaps you have never heard of due process.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #12635
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

You realize this isn’t a criminal trial?
Old 09-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #12636
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I think you'd only expect it if your entire experience with human beings was television courtroom dramas. His real-time emotional reactions strike me as the most credible parts of his presentation.

Well, I am a lawyer. That's why I said he hasn't been coached very well here. Usually when trying to blunt an accusation if this were a court of law someone would be informed to be far more calmer than this. It just seems like throwing emotional crap against the wall to see if anything sticks.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #12637
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I call BS on this thing.

What does she have to gain?
Old 09-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #12638
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Perhaps you have never heard of due process.

I'll echo Lathum... you realize this isn't a trial? What exactly do you think due process is?
Old 09-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #12639
kingfc22
Head Coach

He would have been better off leaving out mentioning this was some sort of left wing conspiracy to get back for the Clinton's, etc. At the same time, I can easily imagine a situation where those talking points came from Trump wanting him to mention it.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #12640
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I call BS on this thing.

You are insanely out of touch if you think this is going to hurt women coming out against sexual assault.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #12641
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

Who knows. The real question is what does the left have to gain.

Pawns get whatever pawns get from the powers that be.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #12642
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Obviously death threats, slut shaming, and general judgement. What doesn't she have to gain from that?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:24 PM   #12643
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll echo Lathum... you realize this isn't a trial? What exactly do you think due process is?

He wanted a hearing right after the accusations were brought up against him. The next day. He should have been afforded this. But the committee hemmed and hawed and drug their feet, while the left assassinated his character.

He should have been afforded the right to his due process by havin a hearing that next day.

But the media stirred up a bunch of crap to muddy the waters, true or not.

How is that not affording his right to due process?

Old 09-27-2018, 03:24 PM   #12644
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Obviously death threats, slut shaming, and general judgement. What doesn't she have to gain from that?

On the bright side, Orrin Hatch thinks she's hot.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #12645
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
You are insanely out of touch if you think this is going to hurt women coming out against sexual assault.

So no false accusations have ever hurt women in their fight against this terrible thing.

Who is out of tough?

Old 09-27-2018, 03:27 PM   #12646
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
He wanted a hearing right after the accusations were brought up against him. The next day. He should have been afforded this. But the committee hemmed and hawed and drug their feet, while the left assassinated his character.

He should have been afforded the right to his due process by havin a hearing that next day.

This is effectively a job interview. Not a trial. There is not right to due process.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #12647
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

It’s like the entire right has conveniently forgotten Merrick Garland exists.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #12648
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Because none of this is a trial. Due process means you get you get a fair and impartial trial when the state is seeking to deprive you life, liberty, or property. It does not apply in non trial instances.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:29 PM   #12649
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
So no false accusations have ever hurt women in their fight against this terrible thing.

Who is out of tough?

Forgive me if I don't take the person that compared Hillary Clinton to the crazy bitch that cuts your tires seriously on matters that involve the view of women in society.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:29 PM   #12650
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

You step into the public eye, you get that type of thing.

I have no dog in this fight, but I cannot really believe that she decided to come out 36 years after the incident happened. Where was she during the rest of his career?

And how did Kavanaugh make it through 6 FBI vettings and not even a sniff of this came out before?