Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #1251
Arles
Grey Dog Software

That's actually not a bad idea Cronin. You would probably want them based on states though, not schools, to allow flexibility in modding.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:02 PM   #1252
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
The regions thing does what its supposed to do in the abstract, and I imagine the Solecismic model has its challenges. I do wonder if there isn't a possible compromise, such as assigning each school a region. USC's "region" is California, Arizona, Nevada, and Oregon. Arizona State's "region" is Arizona, California, Utah, Nevada, Colorado and New Mexico. Colorado's "region" is Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and maybe Texas. Alaska is in nobody's region, so an Alaskan prospect is as likely to be interested in Florida State as UCLA.

That would be a step in the right direction, but using entire states loses some realism also. For instance, the state of Nevada is a very large state geographically from north to south. In real life, you hardly ever see a kid from northern Nevada playing at UNLV. The current UNLV roster has 21 players from the Las Vegas valley and no players from northern Nevada.

I would think that a kid from Pensacola FL who values distance would have a better chance of signing with Alabama than with Miami or South Florida. This is one area that I think TCY gets right. I know it's probably a pain in the ass to program the latitude and longitude of all of the cities, but it definitely adds an element of realism when it comes to the distance factor in recruiting.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #1253
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Since I believed that 90% of the TCY gameplay was recruiting, I didn't like its regions model either. It wasn't about distance, it was about cost - which should be the driving decision-maker in deciding where to recruit. Just like the example above how a recruit further away in the same region is better than a next door recruit in a different region doesn't make sense, nor does having it be cheaper to go further away in a same region than closer to a different region. I have advocated all along to make it simply an XY model based on miles.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #1254
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think miles is the right plan. I will certainly look at this for the next version.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #1255
TwinCitiesFan
n00b

other recruiting items to consider

First of all I think BBCF is really good game, it can be very addictive, I am in a couple of leagues online and have played several careers by myself. As with any game there are a few tweaks I would love to see, here's the recruiting comments...

1) You should be able to offer a few more scholarships then you currently have available, we see this happening in real life. If recruits are going to show more interest by getting offered then you should be able to make a few more offers then you have available.

2) All of the recruits at a particular position drop there interest after the first person commits at a needed position. This happens during transfers and during recruiting. I have already had a desperate need for a position and after the first player commited all other players lost interest. So let's say I need at least two OT's, a decent recruit could come right in and start, after I get the first one then the rest lose interest...it just does not seem realistic.

3) It would be nice to see more changes in interest by a recruit over the recruiting period. For example if you have a recruit who has a 5 interest, then you put some money into them and they raise to a six. Then maybe the following week it goes up to a seven or eight, then they visit and maybe it goes up or down a couple. Right now there is very little change in a players interest no matter how much money/effort is put into them.

Also I agree with the regional issue, I am currently coaching ECU and every I scout a player in South Carolina it costs me the same scouting someone in California.

Anyways thus are just some thoughts, good luck with the new version I can't wait to hear more news about it.
TwinCitiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #1256
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Regarding 2), I've found that sometimes interest goes back up to what it used to be before you signed someone at the same position. So you might want to stay on those guys.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #1257
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Pass is right. The initial logic gives a hit if you sign a spot as the player assumes he won't play if someone else comes in ahead of him. Then, after the next "logic check", it will compare PT again with that recruit and the interest may go back up if it's a LB, CB, OT, DE type spot where more than one guy starts. It's not the best system (it probably should take all that in on the first week after), but you may see guys come back up in interest.

All in all, some very good ideas for the next version here.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:32 PM   #1258
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It's funny I was just looking through my original dev notes for BBCF and seeing a lot of the issues I had. Back in beta, there was one point where half the recruits were just not signing with a team (the threshold for having them commit was unreasonable). If at that point someone would have said "hey, why not change from states to distance for region", it would have been akin to switching A-1 sauces on a piece of charcoal. Not a bad idea if you have a good piece of steak.

That's one of the difficulties with a first version game (and things I am running into with the pro version now), it's hard to really take a step back and refine certain processes when you just want to make sure the buttons work on the roster screen.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #1259
st.cronin
General Manager

I actually had a dream last night that there was an update to BBCF that included a schedule editor and a toggle switch to allow ties.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #1260
Passacaglia
Coordinator

omg ties would rule
Old 12-21-2008, 11:37 PM   #1261
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I actually had a dream last night that there was an update to BBCF that included a schedule editor and a toggle switch to allow ties.

I would gladly pay for an update that included that, plus having the option for manditory 12 game schedules for all teams, improving the poll logic and fixing the BCS selections to follow the real life rules.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:11 AM   #1262
st.cronin
General Manager

Also on my wish list would be an ability to dial down (or up, I suppose) the # of types of certain players generated.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:39 AM   #1263
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Some type of control over the players generated (mass recruiting class parameters) would be an incredible feature.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #1264
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

st. cronin has different dreams than I do.

Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:24 AM   #1265
MattG
Mascot

Good to see that the main man (Arlie) is still posting strong.

Love the game...I have dreams about it too!
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #1266
jonesz
Mascot

I've played BBCF and did generally like it. I've posted this about FOF, TCY, and I think the same can be said about BBCF. The main thing, in my opinion, that would take any of these games to the next level, is to have it "push" more information to me, rather than have to go "pull" it. It would make the immersion level exponentially greater for any of these games. For example, instead of having to go to 5+ different screens to see what happened in the universe that week, it would be nice if I could get a news item(s) summarizing different important items. I.e. #1 recruit signs with Ohio State. Brian Mullins, a 6'4" WR from Pickadilly High School in Akron, OH signed with the Buckeyes today...etc.etc. Currently I do get an email, but I have to read through a list or go to the recruiting screen. Same is true for the top games each week. I have to go to a different screen.

Think about it, how do we get our sports news in real life? Do I have to go to three different papers and 4 different websites to learn what big things happened that week? No, I watch ESPN Sportscenter. Call me lasy, but the more you can "push" to me and the less I need to go "pull" the more rewarding game experience and immersion in the universe there is for me.
jonesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #1267
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I created a bowl called the Gotham Bowl. It takes place in New York City at Yankee Stadium (or Giants Stadium, if that suits you better...) and it's a bowl matchup between the PAC-10 and SEC since there isn't a tie-in bowl that does that.

Here's a image that's formatted for the game, if you're a bowl adding tinkerer like me.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #1268
MattG
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesz View Post
I've played BBCF and did generally like it. I've posted this about FOF, TCY, and I think the same can be said about BBCF. The main thing, in my opinion, that would take any of these games to the next level, is to have it "push" more information to me, rather than have to go "pull" it. It would make the immersion level exponentially greater for any of these games. For example, instead of having to go to 5+ different screens to see what happened in the universe that week, it would be nice if I could get a news item(s) summarizing different important items. I.e. #1 recruit signs with Ohio State. Brian Mullins, a 6'4" WR from Pickadilly High School in Akron, OH signed with the Buckeyes today...etc.etc. Currently I do get an email, but I have to read through a list or go to the recruiting screen. Same is true for the top games each week. I have to go to a different screen.

Think about it, how do we get our sports news in real life? Do I have to go to three different papers and 4 different websites to learn what big things happened that week? No, I watch ESPN Sportscenter. Call me lasy, but the more you can "push" to me and the less I need to go "pull" the more rewarding game experience and immersion in the universe there is for me.

I agree. There are no good mods to play with either. We've done some work in the NCFA for history...check out the bottom of the slider on the left...but it's all HTML and copying/pasting.

Sim Gaming Network - National College Football Association
Old 09-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #1269
MattG
Mascot

Man this thing died didn't it!
Old 09-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #1270
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Well, the game is over 3 years old -- most of us are well beyond first impressions by now.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #1271
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Forgot I had it. Just fired it up for old times sake.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #1272
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just started playing again and I have a question.

My QB gets hurt every game, then after he is healthy and able to go back on the depth chart. But he never finishes a game.

Anyone know why?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #1273
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Are you sure he's not finishing the game? He might be subbing in and out, if his percentage in the gameplan screen is not 100%,
Old 09-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #1274
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Are you sure he's not finishing the game? He might be subbing in and out, if his percentage in the gameplan screen is not 100%,

positive. I watch the games and he comes out, I pause and go to the depth chart, check his card and it is always something like Q 1-3 .
Old 09-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #1275
Passacaglia
Coordinator

That's pretty weird -- I have no idea.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #1276
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Trying to load up my game and getting an error message

no save availabe. Create a league first.

Anyone know how to fix this?
Old 10-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #1277
knolysis
n00b

I get the same error from quite frequently and all I do is keep trying until it works. Sometimes I have to choose my saved game 3 or 4 times before BBCF recognizes the save. If you try that for 3 or 4 times and it doesn't work, look in the save game folder for the Backup folder and copy those files into the main directory (overwrite the existing files). That should take you back to the last know good save. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, though.
knolysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #1278
MCK
n00b

I've had that happen before. All I did was exit out and restart the game and it was there. Not sure if it is the same problem.
MCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:55 PM   #1279
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, I think the game is confused between the loaded game and the saved version. It's fairly rare, but exiting out and restarting should fix it.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #1280
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I figured it out, who made this shit game anyway
Old 12-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #1281
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Really enjoying this game again playing solo as Syracuse (2-7...ugh), with a 2008 mod, and getting my butt kicked. This is what's great about sims, whether I win or lose, it feels legit. This game smokes Madden 2010 out of the water for what I'm looking for in a football game...which is really just a realistic experience.

This is a great game! Arlie, what's the latest on the pro and/or 2nd BBCF? Can't wait until beta-testing application opens up!

By the way, is there a way to edit your age?
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #1282
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Question...but first:

Loving this game for really the first time ever! I've always had it but never really got past the first season.

What happens if I don't bother giving any study hall time to a redshirted player? I don't want any sort of cheat info or spoiler, just simply what will happen if I just let him rot this year. Will he get kicked out of school? Will his GPA get worse thus making it harder next year to have him eligible?

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #1283
Arles
Grey Dog Software

There's a small chance he will get worse academically, but it's probably a better idea to devote that time to people who will play.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #1284
braggtd
n00b

Game Feezing

Has anyone else had steady problems with this game freezing. It has done this since day one years ago when I bought it. I just loaded on a new computer and after about 1 season or so it just freezes up and won't even shutdown without a restart of the system.

I am using windows 7; however, I had the same problem with Vista. I have tried xp comp mode to no avail.

Please advise if you have dealt with this before.

Tom
braggtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:56 AM   #1285
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yep. With Vista I get so may freezes I eventually give up.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:25 AM   #1286
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

I'm using Vista and will get lock-ups but sometimes days in between without a single one. Just save often. My only problem is that when it crashes, I MUST restart my computer for it to even allow BBCF to load again. Weird!

Great, fun game though. I'd love for an updated version which would include the spread option among other things like coaches being suspended, less academic suspensions but more on-field suspension stuff like we've seen IRL.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #1287
SunDevil
College Prospect

Arles,

Are there any easy/quick solutions for the crashing problem on Vista/Windows 7? I finally purchased this game today without seeing the latest posts and with my current OS being Vista I have no desire to having to deal with these crashes.

Thanks
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #1288
MattG
Mascot

Season #8 (2015) is in the books for the NCFA. If anyone is interested in joining for 2016 please drop on by and leave a message in this thread.

http://www.simgamingnetwork.com/foru...ead.php?t=5682

We have about 20-25 coaches so there are many good teams that are still open, including this years NCFA champion. If the team isn't listed below...it can be yours.

http://www.simgamingnetwork.com/foru...ead.php?t=2783

Here are the final GDCS rankings for the 2015 season. Check out the sidebar under NCFA History to get a complete history of the league.

http://www.simgamingnetwork.com/ncfa...ports/gdcs.htm

Finally check out the Desert Doppler...my own creation. It's a weekly writeup that covers the happenings around the league.

http://www.simgamingnetwork.com/foru...splay.php?f=75

Thanks and hope to see you on the field!

Last edited by MattG : 05-25-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #1289
Comey
College Starter

I guess, as this thread, has come about again, a small advertisement could be tossed out for Gridirion Glory. Now entering it's sixteenth season, Gridiron Glory has been around since 2005. With media immersion, podcasts and a rich history (as well as now 90+ coaches, as well as the only league I know of that had been completely full, with a wait list, for multiple seasons), GG is one of the, if not the single, greatest leagues I have participated in.

Now, thanks to Pro Football Simulator, those who leave Gridiron Glory can find success in the pros. Gridiron Legends takes the very best from GG in the draft each year; in addition, those who don't find their way into GL can still play pro ball in the USFL (also using PFS).

If you're interested, go to ::Gridiron Glory - The FIRST BBCF League!, or check out the TSW forums, at hxxp://www.totalsportsworld.org/forums .

-John

Last edited by Comey : 05-25-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:02 PM   #1290
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

All I've done with this mod is update Vegas Vic's 2008 Mod, by adding the two new bowls this year (Pinstripe Bowl and Dallas Football Classic), added the logos for those bowls and also updated the payouts for the bowls.

Haven't changed anything else. I'm also working on a superconference mod that will add to this by reflecting the changes of the new conference alignments for next year and beyond all in one season. That'll follow this one, but for now...I decided to just release the update of the 2008 mod for people who wanted those. I've run a season and everything seems to work fine.

Here's a link
Old 09-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #1291
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ok, here's my updated conference mod. I ran a decade-long sim starting in 2012 with it and it worked with no problems.

Here are the changes I made:

- Added the appropriate teams to the Pac-12, Big 12, Big Ten. (I didn't change the names of the Big Ten and Big 12, I figured you could do that yourselves based on what you wanted to rename them) The Big Ten title game is set for Lucas Oil Stadium and I put the Pac-12 title game at Chase Field in Phoenix, since I wanted it to be in a warm weather place not in California that wasn't at a stadium already being used for a bowl game or something. And it used to host a bowl, so I didn't think it was that far fetched.

- Added Fresno State, Nevada, Boise State, Hawaii and Utah State to the Mountain West and created a MWC Championship Game that's played at Invesco Field in Denver.

- Added Temple to the Big East, from Independent, since the game won't allow an uneven division in the MAC.

- Added BYU to the independent ranks.

- Added Montana, Montana State, Texas-San Antonio and Texas State to the WAC.

I didn't add logos for the created schools, since I don't intend to play with them at all and the logos in this game don't factor much anyway. Even if you make changes to this setup, it'll be easier to do with most of the work done already. Here's the file.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #1292
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Thanks Dark Cloud - I always have enjoyed BBCF and now that it's updated I will give this a shot with your mod.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #1293
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Here's an update of that update. The changes include:

- Added South Alabama to the Sun Belt

In this universe, the Big East becomes an all-sport conference and breaks off from the football league, which renames itself the Yankee Football Conference. It's a 14-team league that includes all of the Big East teams and adds Temple, UMass, Holy Cross, Delaware, Charlotte and Georgia State.

The championship game is at New Meadowlands Stadium and I didn't rename the league in this file, they're just the Big East so you can do whatever you want with the name.

All of the other changes from the other file are still existing in this one.

Download BBCF2013.zip
Old 09-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #1294
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Here's an update of that update. The changes include:

- Added South Alabama to the Sun Belt

In this universe, the Big East becomes an all-sport conference and breaks off from the football league, which renames itself the Yankee Football Conference. It's a 14-team league that includes all of the Big East teams and adds Temple, UMass, Holy Cross, Delaware, Charlotte and Georgia State.

The championship game is at New Meadowlands Stadium and I didn't rename the league in this file, they're just the Big East so you can do whatever you want with the name.

All of the other changes from the other file are still existing in this one.

Download BBCF2013.zip

Georgia State?!

We might not be friends anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #1295
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Georgia State?!

We might not be friends anymore.

I was just screwing around. And I was choosing schools that have expressed interest in the FBS, not necessarily trying to be realistic.. I didn't think W&M wanted to move up. Or are you just mad they left the fake CAA?

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-01-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #1296
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Dark Cloud, thanks for the updated file! What is the easiest way to update the divisional alignment for the Big Ten? Can I do it in game?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #1297
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Dark Cloud, thanks for the updated file! What is the easiest way to update the divisional alignment for the Big Ten? Can I do it in game?

Was wondering the same thing. Thanks for this DC!
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:20 AM   #1298
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post

I think you have to edit it in Access, I don't believe you can update those in the pre-start game menu.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #1299
Balldog
Pro Rookie

How customizable are the playoff settings? Can you set it to be the Top 16 teams in BCS?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #1300
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I've never customized playoff settings, but I guess if you made it so that no conferences had automatic qualifiers, you'd just get the Top 16.