Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #1251
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
So, has there ever been a GOP primary where different candidates have won Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina? I believe the answer is no.

Hmm ... going back through Wiki it appears that relative few states held primaries through '68, so starting with '72 you had
'72 - Nixon - swept all 50 as incumbent
'76 - Ford v Reagan - a two man field basically
'80 - Reagan v Bush - Bush got IA, Reagan got the other two
'84 - Reagan - swept all 50 as incumbent
'88 - Bush v Dole v Robertson - Bush got NH, Dole got the other two (but Pat won three states)
'92 - Bush - swept all 50 as incumbent
'96 - Dole vs field - Dole got Iowa, Buchanan got NH, Dole got SC (Forbes won two early states)
'00 - Bush v McCain - Bush got IA, McCain got NH, Bush got SC
'04 - Bush - swept all 50 as incumbent
'08 - Field - Huckabee won IA, McCain won NH just 38-32 over Romney, McCain won SC just 33-30 over Huckabee

I think it's fair to remove the incumbent years, so it appears that it's something that hasn't happened so far in five legitimate chances ('80, '88, 96, 00, and '08)

In '64, there were several early primary winners: Lodge won NH in March, Goldwater won Illinois in April, Byrnes won Wisconsin in April, Scranton won PA in April, Rhodes won Ohio in May, Rockefeller won WV & OR in May.

In '68, a similar result with Nixon, Rockefeller, Rhodes, and Reagan all claiming primary wins between March & June.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #1252
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Looks like this year will be a good test for the more likable candidate always winning vs. an incumbent with a poor economy. I just can't see any of the top GOP candidates winning a likability contest against Obama.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #1253
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Right JIMGA, meant in the modern primary era (ie, Iowa as a primary basically didn't gain its importance until Carter).
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #1254
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Newt Gingrich's Three Marriages Mean He Might Make A Strong President -- Really | Fox News

just shoot me...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #1255
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

BAWAHAHAHAHA! I love Fox News sometimes!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #1256
molson
General Manager

I'm sold!

But I wonder, is there anyone who can top 3 wives and thus be an even better president?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #1257
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

LARRY KING 2012!

Unfortunately Liz Taylor died last year so he'll have to look for another running mate

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-21-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #1258
mckerney
Coordinator

As I have written before for Fox News Opinion, I don’t think voters belong in a candidate’s bedroom.

Interesting position to take when candidates feel they belong on in the bedrooms of voters.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #1259
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #1260
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If Newt wins tonight, does Romney worry this starts sounding like the 2008 Dems? Hillary had her "firewall" states, has a lot more money and the stronger national organizations, Obama is going to implode somewhere, etc

SI

Old 01-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #1261
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
If Newt wins tonight, does Romney worry this starts sounding like the 2008 Dems? Hillary had her "firewall" states, has a lot more money and the stronger national organizations, Obama is going to implode somewhere, etc

SI

Florida becomes the be-all and end-all for him. He loses that and I think the chance of a brokered convention becomes non-zero. He wins and this is just a bump in the road.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #1262
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Amazing that this time last week it looked like Romney would have a sweep of the first three states and now he's 1 for 3. I still think he's the prohibitive favorite, but if Newt can carry momentum into FL I don't know what happens.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #1263
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Mitt lost big among voters that wanted a candidate that shared their religious values. Is this about Mormonism?
Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #1264
Thomkal
Head Coach

That might be the most bizarre political opinion piece I have ever read. And I wonder what the author thinks of Newt's ethical violations from when he was Speaker of the House and how they might affect him psychologically should he become President?

Having lived here for more than 10 years now, I'm not surprised that Newt won the primary-no I'm surprised he had to come from behind in the last days to win it rather than just be the outright leader from day 1. Great job South Carolina, truly great.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #1265
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Mitt lost big among voters that wanted a candidate that shared their religious values. Is this about Mormonism?

He lost even bigger -- 50% to 22% -- among the 65% who thought the debates were important to their vote.
Primaries - Exit/Entrance Polls - Election Center 2012 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-21-2012 at 07:47 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #1266
rowech
Pro Starter

These guys are going to spend the next three months destroying each other. Obama could win this election without even campaigning.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #1267
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
These guys are going to spend the next three months destroying each other. Obama could win this election without even campaigning.

That's most likely going to happen regardless of the next three months.

There's simply not enough momentum for a candidate that represents a big enough improvement & garners enough trust to generate the necessary high 40% support level that he's going to get.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-21-2012 at 07:50 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #1268
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Really dumb question? Did Gingrich's wife (whichever one) coming out and sniping him the night of the debate make him a more sympathetic figure? Or was it pretty much the debate that did it for him?

SI

Old 01-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #1269
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Watching the GOP self-destruct is fascinating. Aren't they supposed to be the more disciplined, aligned party? Ie, the old Will Rogers line - "I belong to no organized party, I'm a Democrat."
Old 01-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #1270
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

Especially if Gingrich wins the nomination. It's still very early but Romney polls better vs Obama and people just don't like Newt. He's usually at 45-55% unfavorable in those polls and that's what Mitt and Obama get for favorable numbers. Romney has the much better organization going forward so he'll probably still win but Newt has at least made it interesting for a little while longer.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #1271
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
He lost even bigger -- 50% to 22% -- among the 65% who thought the debates were important to their vote.
Primaries - Exit/Entrance Polls - Election Center 2012 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

Some really interesting votes...

Young people like Ron Paul, old and/or rich people really don't like him.

Santorum wins big with those who hold abortion as their biggest issue.

Romney only got 2% of the vote from those who said being a "True Conservative" was the most important trait in a candidate, Gingrich only gets 6% from those who say a "Strong Moral Character" is the most important. And almost half of the voters said that the most important quality in a candidate was "Can defeat Obama".
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #1272
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Some really interesting votes...

Young people like Ron Paul, old and/or rich people really don't like him.

Santorum wins big with those who hold abortion as their biggest issue.

Romney only got 2% of the vote from those who said being a "True Conservative" was the most important trait in a candidate, Gingrich only gets 6% from those who say a "Strong Moral Character" is the most important. And almost half of the voters said that the most important quality in a candidate was "Can defeat Obama".

Those statistics really support our two party system don't they?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #1273
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Watching the GOP self-destruct is fascinating. Aren't they supposed to be the more disciplined, aligned party? Ie, the old Will Rogers line - "I belong to no organized party, I'm a Democrat."

I had never heard that quote before but it's definitely quality

SI

Old 01-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #1274
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I had never heard that quote before but it's definitely quality

SI

One of my favorites.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #1275
Grover
Pro Starter

It'll be fantastic when Obama is re-elected in a landslide this November.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #1276
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I was thinking of the old Groucho (?) line:

"I wouldn't be a member of any group that would have me as a member"
Old 01-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #1277
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
And almost half of the voters said that the most important quality in a candidate was "Can defeat Obama".

Which reminds me of the old cliche about how "you gotta stand for something or you'll fall for anything".
Old 01-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #1278
Swaggs
Coordinator

I don't think Newt is electable in the general election, but I'm not so sure that it is a bad thing (for the GOP's presidential hopes) for him to challenge Romney for awhile if Romney ends up the eventual nominee.

Spending more time in the swing states and more resources on building up the ground game will make Romney much more competitive than simply taking a victory lap for the next couple months. As it is now, Obama is quietly building up field offices (I heard on NPR that Obama had more field offices than the entire set of GOP candidates in NH).

The problem for Romney, from my vantage point, is if Gingrich and Santorum align (Santorum as VP?) sooner rather than later. Then, "anybody but Romney" becomes Gingrich (maybe a little bit to Paul, but I suspect he is already mobilizing his troops as well as can be expected).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #1279
molson
General Manager

I'm not sure of the mindset that Romney had to have a clean sweep to challenge Obama. It's the moderates that matter, are they really going to be turned off by Romney because he has trouble with the Republican base, or the fact that he's attacked for not being a "true conservative"?

Though, the Demoracts' arrogance is funny, the last time they were this cocky they lost the House.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #1280
Grover
Pro Starter

Newt Gingrich isn't an elite? Seriously? Since when?

Old 01-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #1281
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm not sure of the mindset that Romney had to have a clean sweep to challenge Obama. It's the moderates that matter, are they really going to be turned off by Romney because he has trouble with the Republican base, or the fact that he's attacked for not being a "true conservative"?

Though, the Demoracts' arrogance is funny, the last time they were this cocky they lost the House.

Between their buyer's remorse and a horrible economy, how many cocky Democrats do you know right now?

SI

Old 01-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #1282
Grover
Pro Starter

I wish Newt would stop calling Obama a "Food Stamp President" when there were more people on food stamps under Bush.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #1283
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Between their buyer's remorse and a horrible economy, how many cocky Democrats do you know right now?

SI

I'm being short-sighted probably, and just reading a lot of Democrats handing the election to Obama because Romney can't win every state.

Bigger picture, probably not as cocky.

Last edited by molson : 01-21-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #1284
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I wish Newt would stop calling Obama a "Food Stamp President" when there were more people on food stamps under Bush.

well maybe, but only because their benefits have expired as unemployment hits record highs.
Then again all of them suck.
Id vote for Foghorn Leghorn over Obama....and Id think twice in him vs the republican ticket.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #1285
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
well maybe, but only because their benefits have expired as unemployment hits record highs.
Then again all of them suck.
Id vote for Foghorn Leghorn over Obama....and Id think twice in him vs the republican ticket.

Right, but demographically speaking, you're a white male in the South - you weren't going to vote for any Democrat in the last 20 years (well, maybe Clinton). Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #1286
miked
College Starter

Quote:

But at least he's willing to go to the NAACP and talk to their constituents about to get jobs instead of food stamps.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #1287
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That's most likely going to happen regardless of the next three months.

There's simply not enough momentum for a candidate that represents a big enough improvement & garners enough trust to generate the necessary high 40% support level that he's going to get.

Exactly right. What a sad set of candidates the GOP trudged out.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #1288
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Exactly right. What a sad set of candidates the GOP trudged out.

I don't think the candidates are really that different from what they have always been its just that in bad economic times people are more willing to call them out on the bullshit they spew.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #1289
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

No, I really do think these are ridiculously bad.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #1290
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
But at least he's willing to go to the NAACP and talk to their constituents about to get jobs instead of food stamps.

There are more white people on food stamps than black people.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #1291
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

Quote:

I still can't believe that Newt has gotten even this far. If I'm the GOP he is pretty close to the worst possible nominee for the party. He is like the picture of everything that caused me to disavow any association with that group.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #1292
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I still can't believe that Newt has gotten even this far. If I'm the GOP he is pretty close to the worst possible nominee for the party. He is like the picture of everything that caused me to disavow any association with that group.

I find him absolutely loathsome as a human being, say nothing about his politics.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #1293
miked
College Starter

Quote:

Of course, I was making fun of his earlier quote...but he's not racist.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #1294
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

LOL...nope no need for voter ID verification.
Wouldnt want to piss of the zombies.

South Carolina's Attorney General detects voter fraud during pri - WTOC, Savannah, Georgia, news, weather and sports |
Old 01-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #1295
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Not during the primary.

Quote:
COLUMBIA, S.C. – South Carolina's attorney general has notified the U.S. Justice Department of potential voter fraud.

Attorney General Alan Wilson sent details of an analysis by the Department of Motor Vehicles to U.S. Attorney Bill Nettles.

In a letter dated Thursday, Wilson says the analysis found 953 ballots cast by voters listed as dead. In 71 percent of those cases, ballots were cast between two months and 76 months after the people died. That means they "voted" up to 6 1/3 years after their death.

The letter doesn't say in which elections the ballots were cast.

The analysis came out of research for the state's new voter identification law. The U.S. Justice Department denied clearance of that law.

Wilson told Nettles he asked the State Law Enforcement Division to investigate.

I'm fine investigating this, but when all is said and done I'd bet very few of these are real cases of voter fraud. We don't know how the matches were determined. We don't know the number of elections. If they actually found 953 cases of voter fraud in an election I'd declare defeat and sign on to voter ID laws, but until now proponents have been almost completely unable to find prove of voter fraud.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #1296
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Humor me, what is the drawback to voter ID laws.
At least locally Ive had to show a DL every time Ive ever voted.
If the ID is free, and easily available why not require it to vote?
Old 01-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #1297
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:

They tend to disenfranchise voters such as the elderly and poor, who don't otherwise have IDs (usually because they don't drive). Voter ID laws would, presumably, be much less objectionable if voting-age citizens were made well aware of the requirement and a concerted effort was made to provide them with free, government issued IDs.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #1298
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think the argument is because almost every ID has a fee associated with it so it's not actually free

SI

Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #1299
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Defending Democracy: Confronting Modern Barriers to Voting Rights in America | NAACP
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #1300
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Easily available is another problem. Look at what they tried to do in Wisconsin. After the voter ID law was passed the DMV proposed closing offices in highly Dem areas and opening new offices in highly GOP areas.

Most of the voter ID movement is just a way to make it harder for likely Dem voters.

edit: And you have to look at it in conjunction wit efforts to make registering more difficult, eliminating same day registration and limiting early voting.

Last edited by JPhillips : 01-23-2012 at 06:28 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote