Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #1251
Bee
Pro Starter

If it's true, it makes me wonder if he was trying to hide illegal activities.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #1252
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
If it's true, it makes me wonder if he was trying to hide illegal activities.

It's possible. I think it's probably more the idea that he and his staff put together all of those papers, reports, etc., so he considers it all "his" work product. I guess he decided that since he was leaving, his replacement shouldn't have the benefit of all his hard work and effort.

I am not defending him, just trying to explain his possible rationale.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #1253
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It's possible. I think it's probably more the idea that he and his staff put together all of those papers, reports, etc., so he considers it all "his" work product. I guess he decided that since he was leaving, his replacement shouldn't have the benefit of all his hard work and effort.

Yes but West Virginia paid him for "his" work and they own it, not him.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #1254
Butter
Coordinator

Good hire, Big Blue.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #1255
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me that the work (particularly the S&C stuff) would be the property of the University, much like researchers do not own their findings when they are under the employ of a University.

I had heard rumblings that Barwis and his staff had erased everything on their computers before leaving, but I'm still a bit skeptical, as there are a lot of renovations going on and it seems like things could have been misplaced. But, then again, the Charleston Gazette is not exactly a trailblazing newspaper, so I kind of doubt that they would run an unsubstantiated story like that.

Rodriguez owes the first third of his buyout to the University this Saturday. It will be interesting to see if he coughs up the $1.33M he owes. In addition to these allegations, he has also clearly used WVU's resources to contact recruits on behalf of Michigan (and, during the quiet period contacted Terrell Pryor and others immediately before resigning, which prevented the remaining staff from contacting him, as it is a recruiting violation to call a player more than once per week during the quiet period), offered scholarships to at least two of WVU's verbal committments (LB Taylor Hill who just agreed to go to UM and WR D.J. Woods), and his resignation has caused a handful of notable boosters to withdrawl financial committments to the University. Based on those facts, I think it will be tough for him to negotiate down his buyout, as there is some very real damage done to the program.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #1256
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me that the work (particularly the S&C stuff) would be the property of the University, much like researchers do not own their findings when they are under the employ of a University.

That is certainly the approach law firms take. When I left my firm in DC and moved to Detroit, they were very clear that I couldn't take any files, memos, binders, anything that I had put written or gathered over the course of my employment. It was the firm's work product, not mine. There was even a quest as to whether you could bring a regulation you simply printed out and put in a binder.

Like I said, I wasn't defending Coach Rod, just trying to explain his possible rationale, however flawed it may be.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #1257
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Rodriguez owes the first third of his buyout to the University this Saturday. It will be interesting to see if he coughs up the $1.33M he owes. In addition to these allegations, he has also clearly used WVU's resources to contact recruits on behalf of Michigan (and, during the quiet period contacted Terrell Pryor and others immediately before resigning, which prevented the remaining staff from contacting him, as it is a recruiting violation to call a player more than once per week during the quiet period), offered scholarships to at least two of WVU's verbal committments (LB Taylor Hill who just agreed to go to UM and WR D.J. Woods), and his resignation has caused a handful of notable boosters to withdrawl financial committments to the University. Based on those facts, I think it will be tough for him to negotiate down his buyout, as there is some very real damage done to the program.

Coach Rod appears to have gone all Old Testament on West Virginia. This is burning everything down, torching the fields, and salting the earth type of stuff.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #1258
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
It will be interesting to see if he coughs up the $1.33M he owes. In addition to these allegations, he has also ... offered scholarships to at least two of WVU's verbal committments (LB Taylor Hill who just agreed to go to UM and WR D.J. Woods), and his resignation has caused a handful of notable boosters to withdrawl financial committments to the University. Based on those facts, I think it will be tough for him to negotiate down his buyout, as there is some very real damage done to the program.

I thought I read that Taylor Hill (good job on getting your first recruit, Coach Rod!) had verbally committed to Oklahoma and that he was only "considering" West Virginia. I am not too deep into this type of stuff. Is that?

It will be interesting to see what comes out of all this. I don't know much about Coach Rod. He could be an evil, vindicative person. Then again, there are a lot of pissed off people in West Virginia who would be more than happy to point the finger at this guy whenever something seems amiss.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #1259
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Man, this sucks for Michigan. Are we sure Les Miles is staying put?

Anyway, since I used to work for the state as a lawyer, one of the first things that came to my mind was the possible destruction of public records. This goes byond "property of the University" and becomes a state public records issue. But it depends on the state public records law. Some state laws have teeth, others don't. I know that in Florida, willful destruction of a public record is a misdemeanor. If some/all of these documents are considered public records, and someone REALLY wanted to up the ante, he could face criminal charges related to this stuff. But again, it depends on the WV public records law and the character of the documents he destroyed.

Either way, this does not bode well for Michigan.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-15-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #1260
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
I thought I read that Taylor Hill (good job on getting your first recruit, Coach Rod!) had verbally committed to Oklahoma and that he was only "considering" West Virginia. I am not too deep into this type of stuff. Is that?

It will be interesting to see what comes out of all this. I don't know much about Coach Rod. He could be an evil, vindicative person. Then again, there are a lot of pissed off people in West Virginia who would be more than happy to point the finger at this guy whenever something seems amiss.

Hill committed to WVU on Dec. 14th, a few days before Rodriguez agreed to go to Michigan.

I'm not sure if Rodriguez is evil, but he is only out for himself. The fact that he was calling recruits, on behalf of Michigan and on WVU's dime, right before he told his own players that he was leaving sealed that for me. He probably could not have left without hard feelings, but a lot of what he has done since has been pretty vindictive, in my book. If he wanted to leave for a better opportunity, that would have hurt, but would have been understandable with time. But, as you said, he has burned bridges, salted the earth, etc. Hard to fathom for a guy that grew up in WV, played and met his wife at WVU, and had a pretty awesome coaching run.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #1261
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Some state laws have teeth, others don't.

Well, we are talking about West Virginia...

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #1262
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Well, we are talking about West Virginia...

I can't believe it took someone this long to point that out. I am ashamed of myself mainly.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:37 AM   #1263
Atocep
Coordinator

What I've heard is the Barwis files were deleted sometime while the team was in Arizona. Speculation is a grad student was sent in to do it. There had also been rumors of the FBI showing up around the football offices sometime after Rodriguez left and if its true, its probably somehow related to this. However, outside of the files being deleted, its all speculation at this point. Though the people I've seen that would have knowledge of this stuff and are quick to shoot down BS have been quiet on these issues.

West Virginia did turn over possible recruiting violations by Rodriguez in the time between him announcing he was leaving for Michigan and when he actually resigned to the school's compliance officer to make sure their asses are covered. This was reported a couple weeks back and glossed over mostly because no one had any idea what all was going on.

Rich Rodriguez probably doesn't want this to end up in court because its going to get ugly. As much as he wants to avoid paying the $4 million (and his excuses have ranged from not knowing about the buyout to West Virginia not living up to their end) there's no way he wants to let the administration tee off on him in court. What is interesting is the lawyer that was hired by Beilein to fight the school over his buyout is working for the school on this one.

I'm amazed by some of this stuff. From the recruiting stuff (which he promised in the media he wouldn't contact a WVU commit when he left), to the files, to the shit he and Tony Gibson are putting in the Detroit papers about their children being harrassed at school. It just seems vindictive and ego driven.

I'm hoping he'll just shut his mouth, pay the money, and we can all go on our ways.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #1264
Atocep
Coordinator

What sucks is things had died down and the focus was on the amazing staff Bill Stewart is putting together and recruitment.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #1265
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I know this is a college coaching thread but this one name has been bandied about a bit...

Norm Chow was fired from the Titans....where does he end up? Pro or College?
Old 01-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #1266
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I know this is a college coaching thread but this one name has been bandied about a bit...

I'm betting college. Word was he couldn't stand dealing with NFL personalities and egos and had floated his name around a bit for college coaching jobs.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #1267
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post

Chow was linked to the Hawaii opening but apparently he didn't apply for the job. If he applies now, tough. It still looks like Greg McMackin will be named Hawaii's new head coach tomorrow.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #1268
JeeberD
General Manager

There's talk that UTEP offensive co-ordinator Eric Price may be going to the KC Chiefs. If Norm wants to come to El Paso for just a slight pay cut, he'll be more than welcome.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #1269
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
There's talk that UTEP offensive co-ordinator Eric Price may be going to the KC Chiefs. If Norm wants to come to El Paso for just a slight pay cut, he'll be more than welcome.

I feel Norm is at a pass, Is he ever going to get that HC position...or is he always going to be an OC...if he doesn't get that HC does he retire.

It is interesting as I went to school with his kids and talked with him a bit while I played HS ball. I liked the guy, he was decent and was definitely bright on the X's and O's.

I would like to see him stay as an OC with a top program...not take a HC as I feel it will kill him and his spirit...but I do not know.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #1270
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't feel Norm is cut out for head coaching, unless he has a great recruiting staff around him and somebody who is a great motivator and can deal with his players on a day-to-day basis. He's one of the best offensive minds out there, but to be blunt he has all the personality of a dead fish.

Everyone around USC would love to see him back to replace Sarkisian, but that bridge has definitely been burned.

I can definitely see him going to UCLA, which would be a huge pickup for the Bruins.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #1271
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/co...ry/383551.html

Quote:
The University of Miami athletic director search has a new name in the mix.

Herman Frazier, a former Olympic track star who was fired as athletic director last week by the University of Hawaii, was scheduled to arrive in Coral Gables on Thursday evening and meet with UM officials Friday.

Frazier, 53, won two medals at the 1976 Olympics -- gold in the 4X400 relay, bronze in the 400 meters -- and is a past vice president of the U.S. Olympic Committee. He spent the past six years at Hawaii but was let go amid criticism he didn't do enough to keep football coach June Jones from leaving for Southern Methodist University, where he will reportedly earn $2 million a year.

The Rainbows football team was 12-1 last season and went to the Sugar Bowl.
Frazier is receiving a $312,500 buyout to be released from his contract, which ran through July 2010. If the UM job doesn't work out for Frazier, he is also a candidate to become chief executive officer of USA Track. Craig Masback left that job last week to become director of business affairs for Nike's Global Sports Marketing Division.

Before taking the Hawaii job, Frazier was athletic director at the University of Alabama-Birmingham for two years, and spent 23 years at Arizona State University.

Miami fans, if he gets hired you have my condolences.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #1272
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Bobby Petrino is a class act.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #1273
MJ4H
Coordinator

Um, Devon Thomas had been wavering since Nutt left. Sheesh.

This is also only one side of the story. Big surprise which side people decide to focus on. If you are really interested in the whole story, I could tell you. Most aren't though. BOBBY PETRINO SUCKS IS MORE FUN!

Last edited by MJ4H : 01-17-2008 at 07:15 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #1274
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

I think I could've typed that response out for you before I even read it.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #1275
MJ4H
Coordinator

And I could've typed out the typical one-sided BS pile-on crap that you posted. So what?

edit: also, I take it by your response you're not interested in the whole story? Just the sensationalist "OMG Bobby Petrino cancelled a recruiting visit he must be an asshole" line, right?

Last edited by MJ4H : 01-17-2008 at 10:35 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #1276
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Coach Rod fires back

Rodriguez accuses WVU of staging 'smear campaign'

ESPN.com news services

Rich Rodriguez broke his silence on the controversy that has followed since he left West Virginia for Michigan, saying during a hastily scheduled conference call that he had been the target of a "smear campaign."

"There seems to be a campaign to try to smear me," Rodriguez said Thursday. "I haven't said anything until recently, when I felt I needed to defend all the false accusations.

"It has just gotten ridiculous over the last couple of days."

An investigation into missing files from Rodriguez's former office revealed the academic records of West Virginia football players are secure after a newspaper report raised questions about missing paperwork.

Citing anonymous sources, The Charleston Gazette reported Tuesday that files kept in Rodriguez's private office disappeared between Dec. 16 and Jan. 3, along with strength and conditioning records from the weight room.

The newspaper report claimed the missing documents included players' personal contact information, scholarship payments and class attendance records, as well as strength and conditioning records and photographs that tracked players' physical progress.

"There's so many inaccuracies and falsehood and innuendo, at some point, you get tired of getting beat up," he said. "It was that I erased academic files, then the next day, 'Oh no, that didn't happen.' The corrections are on page six and the lead story is on page one."

Rodriguez said he only removed personal papers, such as notes about players or his game plans.

"There was an implication that I had all these secret files and I was throwing them away, but it's simply not true," Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez also addressed questions about another story in the Charleston (W.Va.) Daily Mail, which reported that West Virginia officials were concerned Rodriguez contacted Michigan recruits before he resigned as Mountaineers coach. The NCAA recruiting period was also in a "quiet period" when WVU believes Rodriguez made contact with the Wolverines recruits.

The newspaper also reported Rodriguez's West Virginia cell phone records show he called two Michigan recruits and possibly a third from his WVU-issued phone on Dec. 16 after he told the Mountaineers players he was going to Michigan. He was introduced at Michigan the next day.

During the conference call, Rodriguez insisted he did not contact any Michigan recruits while he was still employed by West Virginia.

Mike Brown, Rodriguez's agent, backed up Neil's statement.

"[Rodriguez] did not keep records for every player and academic records for the players are certainly on file at the school," he said.

The West Virginia native and former Mountaineer player expected hard feelings when he left to lead the Wolverines, but he has been disappointed by the scope of the resentment.

"I know there is disappointment and hard feelings because it's a small state and the program is a source of great pride, but this campaign is not helping West Virginia's program," he said. "You're trying to hurt Rich Rodriguez, but you're hurting West Virginia."

West Virginia has sued him to collect on a $4 million buyout clause in his contract. On Wednesday, the case was transferred from Monongalia County Circuit Court to U.S. District Court in Clarksburg.

The court filing indicated Rodriguez had established residency in Michigan by the time the lawsuit was filed.

"We're perfectly comfortable and happy to litigate this case in any court," said Thomas Flaherty, a Charleston attorney representing the university. "This is not unanticipated."

The move gives Rodriguez five extra days, until next Wednesday, to file a response to the lawsuit. The initial deadline was Friday. The jurisdiction move also means any appeals would be filed through the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Va., instead of the state Supreme Court.

"I changed jobs. This is America, and sometimes you change jobs," Rodriguez said. "I would hope that at some point when emotions cool down, that you can see the good things."

Rodriguez's relatives have been harassed and threatened since his resignation as West Virginia football coach.

His mother, Arleen Rodriguez, said her teen grandson received a death threat and found other harassing notes taped to his locker at East Fairmont High School. Arleen said her 12-year-old granddaughter had to be escorted to classes.

Mountaineers fans furious over Rodriguez's decision to accept the coaching job at Michigan also vandalized his home near Morgantown, hanging signs on a fence and tossing a mailbox in the yard.

Last month, West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin blamed the involvement of what he termed "high-priced agents" for changing Rodriguez as a person.

Rodriguez said Manchin has called him to apologize.

"I said, 'Why did you say those things? It kind of hurt me,' " Rodriguez recalled. "He apologized and said, 'Maybe I shouldn't have said some things.' He said in the future, he could put things in a positive light.

"That was on Christmas, but I haven't heard anything."

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 01-18-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #1277
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Smear campaign...the presidential elections have finally infected the college football world...
Old 01-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #1278
Atocep
Coordinator

All this would have probably been avoided if he hadn't chosen to fight the buyout. He's arguing that WVU didn't live up to their end of the contract, but there was a provision in his contract that stated that if WVU had breached the contract in any way he was to provide writen notification to the school within 90 days and then if no action had been taken by the school withing 30 days of notification then RR could then terminate the contract and WVU would have paid him his early termination payment.

His best argument on the buyout right now is that $4 million isn't an accurate reflection of the school's potential losses.

Those phone calls were the possible recruiting violations I mentioned above. The school wasn't sure what to do about it or how to handle it so they just turned it over to the compliance officer and let him deal with it.

The smear campaign comment is kind of funny since both he and Tony Gibson claimed their children were harrassed and threatened in school. WV law states that a school must report any threats of physical harm from one student to another to the local police. There was no report made in Marion county. Gibson said he his son was harrassed by the school's principal, which has been disputed by the principal and the administration of the school.

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread when the rumors of him going to Michigan first started that Rich Rodriguez has some flaws that were covered by coaching in Morgantown. I wish Michigan fans the best. I hope you don't end up in a situation similar to WVU's a few years from now.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #1279
Swaggs
Coordinator

For the past seven years Rodriguez has gotten away with manipulating the media by releasing only the information that he wanted to release, when he wanted to release it. It seems like he thinks he can do the same thing with throwing around the harrassment accusations with his children and family and the continually used line that "the truth will come out." The guy has a McCarthyist-like approach.

It is interesting to me to see the Michigan fans trying to gauge him in the early going. As previously mentioned, a lot of Rodriguez's warts were overlooked in Morgantown, because he was a West Virginian that went to WVU and because he was winning. It will be interesting to see how that plays in Michigan, where they are already starting to see (no matter whether you back Rod or WVU--I see the UofM as an outsider in this "conflict") some disturbing signs.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #1280
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I apologize if this was posted before but I couldn't stop laughing after reading it...

hxxp://www.gump4heisman.com/my_weblog/2007/12/gump4heisman-ex.html
Old 01-18-2008, 09:16 PM   #1281
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

As someone without a dog int his fight, while it seems clear to me that the file thing, the family harassment and some of the comments made are horrible and stupid on the part of WVU, RR is a tool for many other things here. It seems to me the school has perfect rights to his buyout. That's the point of a buyout. And nothing in that article cleared him of the recruit violations.

West Virginia hasn't exactly been exemplary in this matter, but it's ridiculous for RR to play the "hurt" card, considering his own actions.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:21 AM   #1282
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
As someone without a dog int his fight, while it seems clear to me that the file thing, the family harassment and some of the comments made are horrible and stupid on the part of WVU, RR is a tool for many other things here. It seems to me the school has perfect rights to his buyout. That's the point of a buyout. And nothing in that article cleared him of the recruit violations.

West Virginia hasn't exactly been exemplary in this matter, but it's ridiculous for RR to play the "hurt" card, considering his own actions.

Agreed. I somehow doubt Terrell Pryor decided to drop WVU and add Michigan within a couple of hours of the story breaking without some input from Rodriguez. He might have used the rumor mill, or a friend of a friend or something that meant he wasn't directly violating the quiet period, but that doesn't make it ethical by any means.

I don't know whether we will ever know the truth about the destroyed documents either, but it's fishy as hell. Seems to me either a) WVU are lying out of their ass, b) Rodriguez is a petty SOB or c) there was stuff in the docs that the university could either use against him or could get him hit with some stiff NCAA penalties. And I'm leaning towards c) as the most logical.

Trying to get out of the buyout is ridiculous. I hope the judge reams him a new one and throws the case out in the first 20 minutes.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:41 AM   #1283
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Agreed. I somehow doubt Terrell Pryor decided to drop WVU and add Michigan within a couple of hours of the story breaking without some input from Rodriguez. He might have used the rumor mill, or a friend of a friend or something that meant he wasn't directly violating the quiet period, but that doesn't make it ethical by any means.

I don't know whether we will ever know the truth about the destroyed documents either, but it's fishy as hell. Seems to me either a) WVU are lying out of their ass, b) Rodriguez is a petty SOB or c) there was stuff in the docs that the university could either use against him or could get him hit with some stiff NCAA penalties. And I'm leaning towards c) as the most logical.

Trying to get out of the buyout is ridiculous. I hope the judge reams him a new one and throws the case out in the first 20 minutes.

Agreed on most of what you say, but I think they actually found the documents and they are okay. Someone from WVU, correct me if I am wrong. I think that's one of the primary reasons there is a bit of egg on WVU's face (or at least embarrassment, with that paper getting a lotta flack).

Everything else, though, right with you.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:04 AM   #1284
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Agreed on most of what you say, but I think they actually found the documents and they are okay. Someone from WVU, correct me if I am wrong. I think that's one of the primary reasons there is a bit of egg on WVU's face (or at least embarrassment, with that paper getting a lotta flack).

Everything else, though, right with you.

Its really not clear what happened. The school, as expected, had backups off all the player's student information. Thats about all thats clear since the school hasn't commented much at all on it. The only thing I've seen confirmed by a reliable source was that all strength and conditioning records were erased and that it happened while the team was in Arizona preparing for the bowl game.

For the record, the person that broke the story has stated that his source was someone from the Michigan program. Also, the guy (Mitch Vingle) is from a Pittsburgh paper and will take any opportunity he gets to take shots at the WVU program.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #1285
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"It has just gotten ridiculous over the last couple of days."

An investigation into missing files from Rodriguez's former office revealed the academic records of West Virginia football players are secure after a newspaper report raised questions about missing paperwork.

Wait, wait! Hold on. It's almost as if I posted this on the last page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I wonder if we're going to find out this is true or someone misplaced them and then jumped the gun on running it to the media in an attempt to pile on Rodriguez some more.

SI

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #1286
timmynausea
College Starter

MITCH ALBOM: Their Rich Rodriguez mess could one day be ours

January 20, 2008

BY MITCH ALBOM

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

Let's be honest.

If Lloyd Carr, early in his career as Michigan head coach, had bolted for another school and a richer contract -- as Rich Rodriguez did -- if he initially lied about a meeting with that school, if he abruptly left the Wolverines before a bowl, if he informed Michigan of his departure through a graduate assistant, if he informed a prep quarterback prospect before he told his U-M boss, if he shredded files in Ann Arbor, if he took most of the U-M staff with him, and if he owed Michigan a $4-million buyout and had his lawyers working on ways not to pay it -- you can bet we'd be angry.

We'd be flooding radio talk shows.

We'd be jumping on any negative tidbit.

Just as they're doing in West Virginia.

If Maize-and-Blue loyalists want to lust after a national championship and want the hot coach of the moment to lead them, that's fine. But don't be hypocritical. Don't dismiss West Virginia fans and media as sore-loser crazies.

Because we'd do the same thing. This newspaper. Our radio stations. Our TV. And our fans. That is how it works now in college football. When you steal a coach, it's lucky you. When your coach is stolen, it's trash the guy.

Personally, I'm not so concerned about what West Virginia thinks of Rodriguez at Michigan.

I'm concerned about Michigan.

Words on words

The fact is, Rodriguez brought a lot of this on himself. He did leave. He did leave quickly. He didn't exactly handle it in a forthright manner. And by his admittance in a teleconference last week, he did shred some files, although he told the media the discarded papers "were completely useless to everybody."

On calling recruits, he said: "I did not call a single ... I don't recall exactly the particular time or how I made the call, but I never called a single Michigan recruit before I resigned as a coach at West Virginia."

And on the buyout issue, he said: "I know there's a lawsuit out there that West Virginia sued me, and I have to respond to that."

Well. I don't know about you, but none of those statements strikes me as comforting. Rodriguez admits he destroyed some files, but says trust me, they didn't matter. He half-denies calling a recruit, then says it never happened before he resigned -- but there is disagreement over when he officially resigned. He acknowledges the suit over his buyout, but never gives a simple answer to who's paying it and when.

How would we react if Carr had told some other state: "I know Michigan sued me, and I have to respond to that."

I don't think we'd be talking about what a great guy he was.

The numbers game

What bugs me is that Michigan never used to be involved in stuff like this. Since when did it start buying out coaches? First John Beilein with the basketball team. Now Rodriguez. To me, this is a form of legalized extortion. Some other school wants to hire your employee, you demand a payoff. It's ugly and has no place in a college environment. I wish Bill Martin, U-M's athletic director, had the nerve to say that.

And since when did Michigan football start hinging on high school recruits? I have heard more lately about Terrelle Pryor, the Pennsylvania prep quarterback, than I ever can recall hearing about a kid who doesn't yet have a high school diploma. Is this how we are going to judge Rodriguez? By who he reels in?

If so, Michigan has jumped in the same mucky waters as many other win-crazed schools, who are only concerned with BCS, not the BS it requires. Some feel that's what sports should be. They are entitled to their views.

But Michigan football used to be more special. It was never sullied with departure lies or shredding, because it promoted from within. It didn't deal with buyouts for the same reason.

Yet in Rodriguez's new Michigan contract, just revealed, there is -- guess what? -- a $4-million buyout clause. And if U-M ever finds itself on the opposite side of that one, we quickly will see how folks around here behave eerily similar to the angry fans in West Virginia.

The old expression goes "To the victors go the spoils." But you wonder how much all this is spoiling the Victors.

Contact MITCH ALBOM at 313-223-4581 or [email protected]. Catch "The Mitch Albom Show" 5-7 p.m. weekdays on WJR-AM (760).

Last edited by timmynausea : 01-20-2008 at 05:51 PM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:56 PM   #1287
MrBug708
Head Coach

According to one newspaper, Norm Chow takes the UCLA OC job!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:09 PM   #1288
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

How about that? Coordinator dream team? Walker on D, Chow on O, Neuheisel handles the recruiting, the media, and the big decisions.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:19 PM   #1289
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ping - Matt Barkley
Old 01-20-2008, 11:37 PM   #1290
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Ping - Matt Barkley

Ha! I wish. Sorry, too much going for him toward SC, IMO. But this has to get some of the other top QB recruits' attentions out there.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #1291
MrBug708
Head Coach

Maybe, but Sanchez and Mustain as well as Corp are sitting there. I would assume that he would feel that Crissman and Forcier are a bit less formidible?
Old 01-20-2008, 11:42 PM   #1292
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Sanchez, Corp, and Mustain will all be graduating before Crissman and Forcier. Besides, it is USC. We'll still get the majority of the big recruits as long as Pete is there. All signs point to Barkley becoming a Trojan.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:43 PM   #1293
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Maybe, but Sanchez and Mustain as well as Corp are sitting there. I would assume that he would feel that Crissman and Forcier are a bit less formidible?

Yeah, but he's better than Corp (regarded as such, anyway), Sanchez is a SO now, isn't he? And Mustain will be a SO next year. Assuming he redshirts, he will be a RS FR on the '10 team. Sanchez will be gone, and Mustain will be a SR (and Corp a JR). And if Sanchez goes early (he could with a great season next year), Mustain could start in '09. And then he could go. Heck, he might win the job in spring and go after '08.

Point is, I don't see that much competition for Barkley, particularly past a RS FR year.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:44 PM   #1294
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Sanchez, Corp, and Mustain will all be graduating before Crissman and Forcier. Besides, it is USC. We'll still get the majority of the big recruits as long as Pete is there. All signs point to Barkley becoming a Trojan.

Actually, Corp and Forcier both RS and are in the same class. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:48 PM   #1295
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually, Corp and Forcier both RS and are in the same class. Otherwise, I agree with you.

My bad. I agree with your post above in that he is regarded better than Corp who probably isn't going to be a great QB and I doubt that would deter Barkley at all.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:59 PM   #1296
bhlloy
Coordinator

UCLA has a few things going for them now with Barkley. They have offered Barkley's teammate and best friend Robbie Boyer, and it's between them and Harvard probably for him (he's not anywhere close to D1 talent, so I don't know what will happen to him in a year if Barkley doesn't follow. Slick Rick is playing his games already). He is also on the record as having a huge respect for Chow.

People who are a lot closer to the program aren't concerned at all, and they think he's all USC. That being said, he's obviously a smart kid who is not going to commit to USC just because he grew up a fan of the program. He'll take his time and weigh all the pros and cons before he makes a decision. I think if the Chow rumor is true, UCLA might just have a shot at him.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:22 PM   #1297
Swaggs
Coordinator

New article from the Charleston Gazette (http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/WVU/200801230616) is up. Through the freedom of information act, I guess some journalists have gotten access to some email exchanges between Rodriguez's agent and various members of WVU's administration.

I know the article is long, but I would be interested to see how non-biased readers react to it.

In my opinion, it appears that Rodriguez and/or his agent wanted full and complete autonomy from the rest of the athletic department, including full budgetary control and the AD (thankfully) was not willing to give it to him. Recall that Rodriguez had flirted with the Alabama job last season and just signed a new contract in late-August, yet his agent was already trying to leverage more out of the school by reminding the AD that Florida State and/or Texas A&M would likely have upcoming HC openings.

Quote:
January 23, 2008
Rodriguez, athletic department had long been at odds
E-mails indicate agent threatened to take his client elsewhere
MORGANTOWN -- Even before the first snap at football practice last fall, Rich Rodriguez and his agent were pursuing a promised "culture change'' at West Virginia and a shake-up at the highest levels of the athletic department, e-mails obtained by The Associated Press show.
By The Associated Press

MORGANTOWN -- Even before the first snap at football practice last fall, Rich Rodriguez and his agent were pursuing a promised "culture change'' at West Virginia and a shake-up at the highest levels of the athletic department, e-mails obtained by The Associated Press show.

But by mid-November, Rodriguez's agent Mike Brown was threatening to take his client elsewhere, warning WVU the coach was being mentioned for possible openings at Texas A&M and Florida State.

Rodriguez resigned Dec. 18 for the head coaching job at Michigan, touching off a bitter and ongoing public dispute that has included a $4 million lawsuit over his buyout clause and allegations of broken promises and missing files from his athletic department office.

The gradual disintegration of the relationship is documented in a series of e-mails written over a five-month period and released to the AP under the West Virginia Freedom of Information Act. They show Brown fighting for more operational and marketing control over the football program and over money Rodriguez helped raise through a booster organization he founded.

In e-mails to WVU President Mike Garrison and his chief of staff, Craig Walker, Brown also complains of Gov. Joe Manchin interfering with the program.

WVU administration officials declined to discuss the e-mails, citing concerns about the lawsuit. Brown also declined to discuss the e-mails when contacted Wednesday.

But Athletic Director Ed Pastilong, whose department was not copied in on any of the correspondence, said Wednesday he was unaware of plans for a culture change or of conflict between his staff and Rodriguez.

"Rich and I got along very good. I was largely responsible for hiring him, and we had an open communication,'' he told the AP. "This is the first I've heard of it.''

Pastilong, who is close friends with the governor, denies Manchin interfered, as did Manchin spokeswoman Lara Ramsburg.

"The governor and Rich were friends for 30-plus years, first and foremost, and their discussions throughout Rich's tenure were primarily as friends, with no intent on the governor's part of interfering in the WVU football program or its operations,'' she said.

Brown had been pressing WVU to act on new moneymaking ventures such as allowing advertising on the walls at Mountaineer Field and letting Rodriguez have his own paid-subscription Web site. The e-mails indicate WVU was proceeding slowly, researching legal and NCAA issues after learning of a controversy involving the Web site of Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione.

But an Aug. 1 e-mail from Brown suggested a long-simmering tension between Rodriguez, Pastilong and key assistant director, Mike Parsons. That e-mail complained that "Pastilong is talking directly to the governor,'' and Manchin subsequently called Rodriguez to placate him.

Brown goes on to discuss the resignation of Whit Babcock, an assistant athletic director tasked with fundraising: "If you were to ask Whit Babcock why he was leaving, he would say 2 words, 'Ed Pastilong.'''

Babcock said Wednesday he left WVU to become senior associate director of athletics at the University of Missouri.

"It was not an Ed Pastilong issue. It was a job responsibility issue and a tremendous opportunity. At Missouri, I have the opportunity to be the number two guy and expand my role,'' he said. "Ed Pastilong and I parted on good terms.''

Rodriguez was promised in December 2006, in agreeing to a new contract with WVU, that Parsons' "interaction, tactical and strategic decisions affecting football would be reduced and Whit Babcock's role in the AD would be increased. Whit's leaving not only affects WVU, but is a result of an unfulfilled verbal promise made to Rich,'' Brown wrote.

Pastilong said he was unaware of such a promise.

Forgoing a six-year, $12 million offer from Alabama, Rodriguez signed a new contract with WVU on Aug. 24. It included a pay raise from $1.05 million to $1.78 million, and a one-time increase of $100,000 to the assistant coaches' salaries.

WVU also created a retirement plan that gave Rodriguez tax benefits; promised to reduce his buyout clause from $4 million to $2 million in 2008; built a $2 million academic center for athletes; and agreed to a nearly $6 million renovation of the locker room facilities at season's end.

But Rodriguez had additional demands the e-mails show were being addressed throughout the fall, including free game passes for high school football coaches, control of the sidelines, an all-access pass for wife Rita and seats at WVU basketball games for his football recruits.

"Also of importance is the status of different initiatives we have discussed regarding increasing athletic department revenues,'' Brown wrote Nov. 14. "We both agree there is millions in revenue not being realized. Those revenues over time will allow WVU to remain competitive for Rich's services.''

Brown said he had hoped new revenue streams would be in place by 2008 and that Rodriguez was "very concerned'' a request for proposals hadn't been issued for revamping the athletics Web site, msnsportsnet.com.

"Why is this important?'' Brown wrote. "There is a projected opening at Texas A&M this year and Florida State next year. Rich's name is being mentioned heavily.''

From there, the relationship appears to deteriorate, with e-mails among Walker, Garrison and Rodriguez's financial adviser, Mike Wilcox, showing a united effort to exclude Brown from many discussions.

Wilcox appears to work amicably with WVU on a retirement package for the coach and praises Garrison for "convincing Rich and Rita that you and Craig and your administration will function in a much more effective and forthright manner.''

Wilcox did not respond to a telephone or e-mail message Wednesday.

Former WVU president David C. Hardesty, who ceded operational control to Garrison Aug. 1, declined to discuss the nature of his relationship with Rodriguez when asked about the "culture change.''

The e-mails show any harmony with the new administration was short-lived: On Sept. 6, Brown e-mailed Walker, complaining the athletic department had released the terms of Rodriguez's new contract to the media. The next day, he complained the contract itself has been released.

"Sure at some point in time through information requests the media can get a copy of the contract, but within 24 hours of announcing it has been signed!'' he wrote. "... This is a major breach of the trust factor we discussed two weeks ago.''

Walker defends the staff's action, citing requests from the AP and the Charleston Daily Mail that the university was legally bound to answer.

As late as the last week of November, Wilcox and Walker were planning meetings. Then, on Dec. 1, the No. 2-ranked Mountaineers fell 13-9 to Pitt, losing a shot at a national championship game.

Within days, there were signs of more trouble.

On Dec. 4, Wilcox tells Walker he has had "tough discussions with Rich and Rita,'' who were discouraged by the loss. He urges Garrison to meet with the couple: "I think it's REALLY important in light of Eddie's (Pastilong) remarks and the deteriorating relationship ... it's not good and getting worse.''
Old 01-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #1298
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm interested in hearing other opinions on this as well.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #1299
Logan
Head Coach

Honestly, and I'm a Rutgers fan, so I side with my BE brethren on this issue...but I'm just tired of hearing about this god damn soap opera already.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #1300
st.cronin
General Manager

+1 to Logan's comment.

Non-biased observers don't care.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote