Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #1251
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

The Reds are worth watching for Brandon Phillips defense alone.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #1252
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
The Reds are worth watching for Brandon Phillips defense alone.

No they are not.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #1253
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Don't make me send Cueto to kick you.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #1254
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Don't make me send Cueto to kick you.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #1255
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

In other news, WE SUCK!!!

7 in a row? are you kidding me?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #1256
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
In other news, WE SUCK!!!

7 in a row? are you kidding me?

Look on the bright side, Cards aren't losing much ground.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #1257
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Look on the bright side, Cards aren't losing much ground.

You have a point!

Old 06-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #1258
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The Marlins are going to name Jack McKeon manager at age 80.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #1259
bhlloy
Coordinator

Because at that age they are too senile to realize they haven't been paid in 3 years?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:50 AM   #1260
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
The Marlins are going to name Jack McKeon manager at age 80.
Hahahaha, good one!

...oh wait, you're not joking.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #1261
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Verlander with another CG today, his 4th of the year and 2nd in a row. He's gone 6 or more in every start this season. He's on pace to pitch 270 innings which is 40 more than his career high. He's only throwing 2 more pitches per game as opposed to last year as well.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 06-20-2011 at 01:06 AM.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #1262
Butter
Coordinator

That whole Reds series this weekend was frickin' brutal to watch. The entire roster goes cold all at once. Phillips has been in a slump for a month, Bruce is back to one of this .230 monthlong spells, Votto isn't even hitting, left field and SS continue to be black holes, and Miguel frickin' Cairo has to earn us 1 win out of 3 vs. the Blue Jays. Nice series, guys.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #1263
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

But over the last 18 games the pitching has come around to @3.50 ERA. If they can keep that right around 4.00 going forward they can make some noise.

And bringing up Alonso for LF and Cozart for SS/utility would help.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #1264
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
A few funny tweets I saw today related to the upcoming Moneyball movie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hoss Radbourn
It's going to be awful. #moneyballmoviespoilers

Most apt one I saw.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #1265
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pitt gives me douche chills in the trailer. I agree that it has some serious potential to be awful, however Sorkin is a really good writer and that is my only real hope. The book was also really good.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #1266
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

This story just makes me tear up. Johnathan Taylor's courage, spirit is inspiration for all of us | Jeff Schultz

The other story they did this weekend killed me. They talked about one boy in the rehab center that was not doing well until JT started coming by and cheering him up. The kid said "I got better because he helped me." I just can't imagine going through what he has and being that upbeat. The Ranger's offered him a contract and he turned it down. He doesn't want to lose his eligibility because he has every intention to play again. He can't even walk right now, but he is going to play again.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #1267
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Florida Marlins expected to hire 80-year old Jack McKeon as new manager, sources say - ESPN
Old 06-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #1268
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

For the record, I think the rest of you can now see why we spent so much time being excited about the Royals playing well for 4-6 weeks. It's often all we have to be excited about, so we might as well enjoy it while it lasts.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #1269
Butter
Coordinator

Pujols expected to miss 4-6 weeks with broken bone in wrist.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #1270
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Pitt gives me douche chills in the trailer. I agree that it has some serious potential to be awful, however Sorkin is a really good writer and that is my only real hope. The book was also really good.
The book had its flaws, but it was an important work in helping the wider public gain a better understanding of modern baseball statistics.

I just have a deep fear that this movie will have been "Hollywood-ized" too much for my tastes. I really like Jonah Hill - in comedies. Not sure what to think about him being cast in the Paul DePodesta role. And I'm betting it will be dumbed-down for mass audiences and given too neatly wrapped an ending.

I'm sure I'll watch it on Netflix, and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #1271
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Pujols expected to miss 4-6 weeks with broken bone in wrist.

Just as we get Holliday back.. UGH...
Old 06-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #1272
cougarfreak
College Starter

Jack is a hell of a manager IMO.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #1273
Butter
Coordinator

Story has been changed to read Pujols has a broken "forearm" instead of wrist. Still not good news, but possibly better than a wrist injury.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #1274
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Jack is a hell of a manager IMO.

He's a good manager but not a great one. His image for some reason has become something grand as he's aged. Not sure where it really comes from.

Jack McKeon Managerial Record - Baseball-Reference.com

One postseason. One. Longest job, four years.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #1275
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

With his relative slow start and now this injury, how much will he get paid as a FA?

Seems to me that he should have taken the Cards offer.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #1276
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
With his relative slow start and now this injury, how much will he get paid as a FA?

Royals have plenty of payroll available. Bring him home where he belongs.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #1277
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

He'll get his money.. someone will sign him for what he wants.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #1278
molson
General Manager

Quote:

It's possible, but they'd be imploding their franchise for $300/10 years (if those reports about what he wanted are true) I am very glad the Red Sox will not be involved.

Edit: I mean, would you rather have 30 year old Adrian Gonzalez for 7 years/$147 million starting next season or a 32 year old Albert Pujols for 10 years/$300 million?

Last edited by molson : 06-20-2011 at 02:02 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #1279
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's possible, but they'd be imploding their franchise for $300/10 years (if those reports about what he wanted are true) I am very glad the Red Sox will not be involved.

Edit: I mean, would you rather have 30 year old Adrian Gonzalez for 7 years/$147 million starting next season or a 32 year old Albert Pujols for 10 years/$300 million?

I'm with you.. that's why I've always said the Cardinals should never sign that kind of a contract. In fact, I love Pujols, but I would probably sign Berkman for a 2 year extension if I could and then go after Reyes from the Mets if that's possible (maybe they would take Colby Rasmus off our hands and a few other prospects)
Old 06-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #1280
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

I don't see him getting his money unless it's from the Cubs. Most of the team that can afford his demands don't need him. The economy being what it is, I also don't think that an owner is going to trust his gate money, etc. to be a solid stream of revenue.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #1281
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I don't see him getting his money unless it's from the Cubs. Most of the team that can afford his demands don't need him. The economy being what it is, I also don't think that an owner is going to trust his gate money, etc. to be a solid stream of revenue.

I definitely believe it would be the Cubs.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #1282
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
He's a good manager but not a great one. His image for some reason has become something grand as he's aged. Not sure where it really comes from.

Jack McKeon Managerial Record - Baseball-Reference.com

One postseason. One. Longest job, four years.

I'd say his teams consistently outperform what they are supposed to do. He did a great job with the Reds in the late 90's. Look what happened after he left.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #1283
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm with you.. that's why I've always said the Cardinals should never sign that kind of a contract. In fact, I love Pujols, but I would probably sign Berkman for a 2 year extension if I could and then go after Reyes from the Mets if that's possible (maybe they would take Colby Rasmus off our hands and a few other prospects)

Dude, if Cardinal fans want to get rid of Colby Rasmus (and I don't understand why - he's a star and cheap, which you're going to need on what is an old team), there are a lot of teams that would be interested. Hell, the Giants would kill for someone like him. I know there's sagas with the dad and what not, but I tend to put that down to Tony La Russa being a whiny old fart who bitches and moans and would rather continue to play the likes of Skip Schumacher.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #1284
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Dude, if Cardinal fans want to get rid of Colby Rasmus (and I don't understand why - he's a star and cheap, which you're going to need on what is an old team), there are a lot of teams that would be interested. Hell, the Giants would kill for someone like him. I know there's sagas with the dad and what not, but I tend to put that down to Tony La Russa being a whiny old fart who bitches and moans and would rather continue to play the likes of Skip Schumacher.

I don't think playing Skip is a bad thing... Colby is like JD Drew, he only plays when he wants to.

He's a great talent and if he wants a change of scenery.. so be it.

I'd rather this.. unless Pujols comes down off his initial offer.

C Molina
1B Berkman
2B Theriot
SS Reyes
3B Freese
LF Holliday
CF/RF Schumaker/Jay/Craig

I would give up Rasmus in a heartbeat for Reyes.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #1285
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

fuck you dusty baker
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #1286
DanGarion
Coordinator

I thought you all would get a good chuckle out of this story.

Angels fan lands in Arte’s suite by accident | langdon, moreno, angels - Sports - The Orange County Register

Quote:
Mike Langdon, an Angels fan, father, industrial equipment salesman and all-around regular guy, had never been this lost at the ballpark.
A former season-ticket holder, the Irvine resident has been going to games at Angel Stadium for the past 15 seasons and had never once been where he found himself this past Saturday night in the bottom of the first inning as the Angels played host to the New York Yankees. He was in a restroom – but not just anyone’s restroom – and he was panicking, breathing rapidly, sweating, wondering how he got here, how he will get out and whether he’d have a heart attack first.

Langdon, 50 and as old as his favorite baseball team, was supposed to be meeting friends at the game. Instead, he was standing in front of a sink, staring himself down in the mirror and shaking off ideas as if they were pitches he didn’t want to throw.
He needed to come clean about this case of mistaken identity. He couldn’t hide out for nine innings in the restroom of Angels’ owner Arte Moreno.
“Are you okay?” the affable Moreno asked Langdon, having emerged from his self-imposed exile.
“Mr. Moreno,” Langdon confessed, “I don’t think I should be here.”
Putting his calming hand of Langdon’s shoulder, Moreno told his unexpected guest, “First, my friends called me, Arte,” and then offered Langdon a beer.
“Arte,” Langdon politely repeated, “I really, really shouldn’t be here.”
Really.
GET A TICKET
Langdon’s buddy, Brad Stanfield, a Fullerton mentor with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, had invited him to share a donated suite for that night’s 6:05 p.m. game against the Yankees.
“I’ll leave the ticket at Will Call under your name,” Stanfield told Langdon.
When he arrived at the ballpark late after taking his daughter’s prom pictures, Langdon slipped his driver’s license to the woman at the Angels ticket window and received an envelope containing not one but two tickets.
“They were printed with ‘OWNERS SUITE’ and I figured, ‘Wow, Brad has some friends in high places,’” recalled Langdon, who moved through the turnstiles and was directed through the velvet ropes to a private elevator.
The metal doors opened on the second floor, where he crossed the hallway, greeted an usher and walked through the double mahogany doors into the Owner’s Suite.
“The room was the size of a condominium and nicely decorated,” recalled Langdon, who noticed a large flatscreen TV mounted on one wall, a full kitchen, a bar stocked with El Modelo and pretzels, plush carpeting, luxury seating, an elevated view from behind the plate and nobody he knew.
The three people inside turned to him. A suite attendant named Cheryl smiled. Bill Beverage, the Angels’ Chief Financial Officer, smiled. Moreno smiled, approached, offered a handshake and introduced himself.
“Yes sir, I know who you are,” said an honored Langdon, feeling his mouth go dry. “I’m Mike Langdon.”
“You must be Mark’s friend,” Moreno said.
Mark’s friend? Mark who? Figuring Stanfield knew a Mark, the overwhelmed Langdon nodded agreeably.
“Make yourself at home,” the hospitable Moreno said. “Game’s just getting going.”
Anxiously awaiting his friend’s arrival, Langdon surreptitiously nibbled on crackers and chips and downed a beer – “The first one went down in like half an inning,” he said – to ease his nerves.
Langdon began to suspect a major-league mixup.
He excused himself to poke his head in a smaller neighboring suite only to find Tony Reagins, the Angels’ general manager, inside and in the company of three men in suits.
“Excuse me for the interruption,” chirped Langdon before quickly disappearing and seeking refuge in the restroom.
By then, Moreno had put it all together: Mike Langdon, the Flowserve Industries pump salesman in his bathroom, had mistakenly been given the tickets intended for Mark Langston, the four-time All-Star and seven-time Gold Glove-winning pitcher who played for the Angels from 1990 to 1997.
IT'S LANGDON, NOT LANGSTON
“Where are you?” asked Stanfield, calling Langdon on his cell phone in the second inning.
“I’m in Arte Moreno’s suite,” Langdon said proudly, having been invited to stay by the owner himself. “He wants to talk to you.”
Moreno hopped on the phone and invited Stanfield, who was in a left-field suite, to join them in the owner’s box.
“Is Mark Langston there?” Moreno asked.
Mark Langston? “No, but I’ll be right over,” said Stanfield, who got a security escort to Moreno’s suite.
Stanfield made quick friends with Beverage, a fellow University of Alabama graduate. Meanwhile, Langdon and Moreno got to know each other.

There is more of the story if you click on the link. I got a good laugh out of it.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #1287
GrantDawg

All of MLB trembles today, as the Braves call up Julio Lugo today. Pitchers tremble!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #1288
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
All of MLB trembles today, as the Braves call up Julio Lugo today. Pitchers tremble!

He's hitting .231 in 52 AB's at Gwinnett this year.
An old minor-to-major projection calc says he translates to .200 with a .555 OPS ... compared to the .178 BA and .567 OPS of Uggla.
(It's also more production than they've gotten from Deadweight Diory or the already-demoted Brandon Hicks)

Might be just the spark the lineup needs.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-21-2011 at 08:34 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #1289
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

His skills have fallen so far that we aren't even sure he can hit women anymore.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #1290
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Cardinals bullpen is horrible. Load the bases then two hitsbattsman, a single, a walk, and then a 4 pitch walk. Wow they suck. I think LaRussa has to go. There is no reason for Batista to be on a major league roster.

EDIT: A two run single. It is now 7-2 (was 2-2 at the top of the inning).

Last edited by panerd : 06-21-2011 at 09:46 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #1291
PineTar
High School JV

PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #1292
kingfc22
Head Coach

At least the Giants freed up my night quickly...
Old 06-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #1293
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
His skills have fallen so far that we aren't even sure he can hit women anymore.

hahaha
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #1294
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Amazing comeback for the Nationals last night. 5-1 going into the bottom of the ninth. Long story short, they get some men on, Zimmerman GIDP. Comebacker takes out the closer. Ramos hits 3 run walk-off HR. Largest previous deficit overcome in the ninth for the Nationals in DC (as opposed to the Expos in Montreal) was 2 runs.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #1295
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Amazing comeback for the Nationals last night. 5-1 going into the bottom of the ninth. Long story short, they get some men on, Zimmerman GIDP. Comebacker takes out the closer. Ramos hits 3 run walk-off HR. Largest previous deficit overcome in the ninth for the Nationals in DC (as opposed to the Expos in Montreal) was 2 runs.

They need to start sucking again. I am beginning to worry.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #1296
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
They need to start sucking again. I am beginning to worry.

I hope your worrying is justified. 9 of their last 10, sole possession of 3rd place and 1 game out of .500. They haven't even sniffed .500 this late in the season since the last day of the 2005 (inaugural) season. If it is just a hot streak, I am enjoying it. If it is more than that, I am very excited for some great baseball.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #1297
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Chris Heisey with the 3 HR in the final game of the Yankees series. Too bad they still took 2 out of 3 from us.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #1298
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Cueto is a badass.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #1299
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

F you and your pitching staff Phillies!

:P
Old 06-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #1300
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
F you and your pitching staff Phillies!

:P

The way our teams our playing, not only are we letting the Reds back into the thick of things, maybe we ought to worry about the Pirates too??

Cincy has the best run differential in the division FWIW
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote