Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #1301
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
This is what I've heard, too. I've heard it was a lot like the first one, but with less variety. Take that for what it's worth.

/tk

General impression I have heard is that it does not improve on the original in any real way. And I've also heard they threw the story out the window and there isn't any real story in the game either.

Last edited by dubb93 : 07-14-2010 at 08:20 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #1302
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Has anyone played Crackdown 2 yet? Tempted to get it and play co-op with a friend of mine.

I'm enjoying it, but I'm a Crackdown nerd.

And yeah, it's probably going to be at its best in co-op. I wanted to co-op with my usual Crackdown buddy, but Persona 3 Portable came out the same day, and he's apparently been immersed in that.

Quote:
This is what I've heard, too. I've heard it was a lot like the first one, but with less variety. Take that for what it's worth.

Mostly because they replaced gang infrastructure with "tactical locations." You're capturing various areas, just like in the first game, but there isn't a lot of difference, even in difficulty, between one island and another.

/tk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
General impression I have heard is that it does not improve on the original in any real way. And I've also heard they threw the story out the window and there isn't any real story in the game either.

There's story, but it's...kinda sideways, if that makes any sense. The story isn't revealed through progression, it's revealed through finding various audio clips scattered throughout the game, and other than early on, there's no real allusion to that from the voice-o'-God.

You can discover the story, or not, and it really only matters in terms of your Gamerscore. Otherwise, just blow shit up.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #1303
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

What size HD do I need? 120? 250? I don't anticipate downloading a whole bunch of stuff or anything - and honestly whichever system I get I'll probably only have like 5-6 games.

Not really intending to play online so I'm probably leaning towards a PS3 so that I can get The Show. I'd spend more time playing something like that then I would say HALO.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #1304
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
but Persona 3 Portable came out the same day, and he's apparently been immersed in that.

Do you (does he) know how much memory Persona 3 Portable takes up if you download it? Sony's website is distinctly unhelpful, but since I have FFVII on a stick, I'm guessing I'm going to need another (2nd gen PSP can only go up to a certain size anyway).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #1305
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
What size HD do I need? 120? 250? I don't anticipate downloading a whole bunch of stuff or anything - and honestly whichever system I get I'll probably only have like 5-6 games.

120 is more than fine for me and by all iīve got told by other people (recently bought a PS3 as well) should be more than enough for your purposes.
Unless you plan on using the PS3 as your main tool/hub for, say, music and movies and transfer your whole collection onto it you wonīt come close to filling even the 120.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #1306
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
120 is more than fine for me and by all iīve got told by other people (recently bought a PS3 as well) should be more than enough for your purposes.
Unless you plan on using the PS3 as your main tool/hub for, say, music and movies and transfer your whole collection onto it you wonīt come close to filling even the 120.

Absolutely no intention of doing that - that's what I figured as well whomario.

You happy with your PS3?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 AM   #1307
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Absolutely no intention of doing that - that's what I figured as well whomario.

You happy with your PS3?

yes, but on limited usage so far With the great weather here i havenīt used it all that much. Never having had a blu ray player i must say itīs amazing to have that now (got a new TV at the same time i bought the PS3) and this was also the main reason i finally caved and bought it (even though the regular players drop in price a lot recently)

I mean, since iīm not using it as a media center (i can hook up my laptop with my TV anyway ) thereīs not so many things iīve tested yet.

For me itīs a blu ray / DVD player and a gaming console, both things work but thats about the extend of my analysis

Itīs a tad bit noisier than the 360 imo, but nothing that bothers me personally as i play music in the background when gaming and sit a bit further away watching movies (in doubt just test drive one during downtime at a store)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-15-2010 at 10:12 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #1308
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm irritated because I got a blu-ray player with my new TV and it was out-of-the-box so I can't even resell it for full price...but if I pickup the PS3 I may try to unload the blu-ray player to try to get something close to market value for it since I won't be needing it.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #1309
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

Itīs a tad bit noisier than the 360 imo,

I'm not sure I would agree with this. I have the new 360 Slim and I would say the Slim is still makes more noise than the PS3. My old 360 sounded like it wanted to blast off into space at times. I can't say I ever thought my PS3 might plow through the ceiling.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #1310
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm not sure I would agree with this. I have the new 360 Slim and I would say the Slim is still makes more noise than the PS3. My old 360 sounded like it wanted to blast off into space at times. I can't say I ever thought my PS3 might plow through the ceiling.

Agreed. If you PS3 is louder than your 360, something has gone horribly wrong with your PS3.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #1311
Groundhog
Coordinator

If it wasn't for the green light on front of my PS3, I'd have no idea it was even switched on. My 360 (which was one of the original consoles), well, I wouldn't be surprised if my neighbours knew I had it switched on at times.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #1312
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
If it wasn't for the green light on front of my PS3, I'd have no idea it was even switched on. My 360 (which was one of the original consoles), well, I wouldn't be surprised if my neighbours knew I had it switched on at times.

Same here, I've contemplated selling my PS3.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #1313
bob
College Starter

If you order Sport Illustrated for 28 weekly issues at a price of $59.95, you get NCAA 11 free. I think this is similar to the Madden deal from last year or the FIFA World Cup deal on ESPN insider.

Last edited by bob : 07-15-2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Posted this in both the NCAA thread and this one to make sure interested parties saw it.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #1314
RainMaker
General Manager

I thought I'd use the Blu-Ray more but I haven't. So I'm also considering selling the PS3. I had it for The Show, but this year's version was pretty shitty.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #1315
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

June #'s from Bill Harris, over at dubiousquality:

360: 451,700
Wii: 422,500
PS3: 304,800

Now, yes, this is because of the 360 slim bump, but interesting to see the 360 take first place, and decent numbers for all three.. but the gap between 360 and PS3 continues to widen. This month took a fairly decent step forward, which probably will happen for at least July as well.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #1316
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I thought I'd use the Blu-Ray more but I haven't. So I'm also considering selling the PS3. I had it for The Show, but this year's version was pretty shitty.
o rly?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #1317
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

shit - if any of you guys wanna get more for your PS3's then you'd get at a gamestop or whatever...let me know - sooner rather than later. maybe we can work somethin out
Old 07-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #1318
RainMaker
General Manager

And just minutes ago I'm getting a blank screen from my 360. I could hear the sound but get no video. Anyone know what the hell this could be? Tried changing cords already.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #1319
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Tiger Woods unit sales are WAY down in the release window. Looks like his tarnished image is having an effect, though EA also blames the slower Wii game sales of late. Pretty rough market for third parties on the Wii.

Tiger Woods golf video game sales plummet compared to a year ago | VentureBeat
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #1320
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Do you (does he) know how much memory Persona 3 Portable takes up if you download it? Sony's website is distinctly unhelpful, but since I have FFVII on a stick, I'm guessing I'm going to need another (2nd gen PSP can only go up to a certain size anyway).

/tk

I'm rockin' an 8 gig stick in my first gen PSP, I believe. I want to say Persona 3 Portable is taking up between 1-2 gigs on that.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #1321
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm rockin' an 8 gig stick in my first gen PSP, I believe. I want to say Persona 3 Portable is taking up between 1-2 gigs on that.

Thanks. I've got the PSP-2000, looks like it can take up to 16 gig, I'll see if I can find an 8 gig stick relatively cheaply. With FFVII and Persona 3 on a 4 gig, isn't much room for save files. Just realized I have FFT in the UMD slot. Pretty funny to have 3 very Japanese games on my PSP.

Now the question is, do I continue with DQIX or put that off til the cruise (27 days away!), since the DS works better without a plug, and instead pick up Persona 3 for a bit?

/tk
Old 07-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #1322
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
2. Deathspank

I haven't actually purchased this game yet but I noticed the demo on Xbox Live. It plays like a bargain bin hack and slash would but the humor in the demo so far has been fantastic. It apparently has the same writers and dev team as Monkey Island. Will be a purchase for me as soon as I get more Microsoft Points.

I'll have to check this out very soon... I've heard some great things!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #1323
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I'll have to check this out very soon... I've heard some great things!

I picked it up and it's been a fun hack 'n slash with the added bonus of the humor from the old Lucas Arts adventure games.

I've also been playing the new free Valve game Alien Swarm this evening, a lot of fun if you like survival co-op games.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #1324
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I picked it up and it's been a fun hack 'n slash with the added bonus of the humor from the old Lucas Arts adventure games.

I've also been playing the new free Valve game Alien Swarm this evening, a lot of fun if you like survival co-op games.

Thanks.. will check that out too.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #1325
Groundhog
Coordinator

It's a few months old now, but I've just started with Mass Effect 2, and my thoughts after 3 hours of play could be best summed up in one word: HOLYF%$KINGSH!T

Seriously, it's like they fixed every single aspect of the original that annoyed me (all the repetitive missions in the Mako, having to travel back to the ship after completing most missions, constantly turning gear to gel when my inventory was filling up, etc. etc.). I love the way equipment/research works now, I love the improved combat system, the great cinematics, the much more streamlined gameplay (travel especially), the use of the right/left buttons during dialogue to perform good or bad actions, and... well... everything. Like I said, I'm not that far into it yet, but so far it's the best game I played. Better than Red Dead Redemption even.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:55 AM   #1326
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
It's a few months old now, but I've just started with Mass Effect 2, and my thoughts after 3 hours of play could be best summed up in one word: HOLYF%$KINGSH!T

Seriously, it's like they fixed every single aspect of the original that annoyed me (all the repetitive missions in the Mako, having to travel back to the ship after completing most missions, constantly turning gear to gel when my inventory was filling up, etc. etc.). I love the way equipment/research works now, I love the improved combat system, the great cinematics, the much more streamlined gameplay (travel especially), the use of the right/left buttons during dialogue to perform good or bad actions, and... well... everything. Like I said, I'm not that far into it yet, but so far it's the best game I played. Better than Red Dead Redemption even.

Red Dead Redemption was a pretty damn cool game, but I must say I agree about Mass Effect 2 being better. I had not bought a 360 game since GTA IV and just got Mass Effect 2 maybe a month ago on sale for $40 at Walmart. One hell of a bargain. Will be starting a second go through here with soon, as I am not happy with my ending in the first time around. With Red Dead, I haven't really played much since finishing the story.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:24 AM   #1327
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Agreed. If you PS3 is louder than your 360, something has gone horribly wrong with your PS3.

What's funny is, my Dreamcast is louder than either of the two. It makes these honking noises periodically when it's loading stuff. I hear that, even though it sits on my deaf side. The 360, I don't hear, and it's just a few inches behind the Dreamcast. The PS3 I hear on occasion, but generally only during start-up or shut-down when it's beeping.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #1328
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Thanks.. will check that out too.

If you're looking for someone to play with feel free to add me as a friend, my Steam ID is KingOf7, profile name is currently Heisenberg.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #1329
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
What's funny is, my Dreamcast is louder than either of the two. It makes these honking noises periodically when it's loading stuff. I hear that, even though it sits on my deaf side. The 360, I don't hear, and it's just a few inches behind the Dreamcast. The PS3 I hear on occasion, but generally only during start-up or shut-down when it's beeping.

My mind may be foggy, but wasn't Skies of Arcadia horrible for this? You'd hear this loud loading noise and then you'd know a random battle was loading. And I think random battles happened very often.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #1330
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm getting this right now on XBL.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #1331
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Thanks for the reminder, Mizzou.

I remember hearing about this game awhile back and again when there was a big argument over video games as art. Looks to be pretty sweet.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #1332
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yes, the review over at IGN sold me. It's only 5-6 hours, but seems to be quite the game.

I'll dive into it tonight after soccer practice and the family is asleep.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #1333
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
If you're looking for someone to play with feel free to add me as a friend, my Steam ID is KingOf7, profile name is currently Heisenberg.

Thanks, will do!
Old 07-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #1334
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I've been following this game for a while. I don't think I'd ever have too much interest in playing it, since I don't really like platformers or puzzle games, but it's one the most beautiful games I've ever seen. I could easily watch someone play through the entire game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:10 PM   #1335
RainMaker
General Manager

That looks really cool. How much is it?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #1336
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
My mind may be foggy, but wasn't Skies of Arcadia horrible for this? You'd hear this loud loading noise and then you'd know a random battle was loading. And I think random battles happened very often.

Dunno. When I played Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast, I lived in California, and sat further away from the system/TV than I do now.

I never did beat the game until I got the GameCube version and was able to use its 'white feather' to tone down the random combat.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:25 PM   #1337
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That looks really cool. How much is it?

1200 MS points or $15.00
Old 07-21-2010, 11:39 PM   #1338
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dunno. When I played Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast, I lived in California, and sat further away from the system/TV than I do now.

I never did beat the game until I got the GameCube version and was able to use its 'white feather' to tone down the random combat.

I think the Gamecube version toned down the number of battles as well.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #1339
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
I think the Gamecube version toned down the number of battles as well.

I don't know if it did so to the core experience, but I know you were able to collect two items - get either the white feather to tone down battles, or the black one to ramp them up.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #1340
RainMaker
General Manager

Not sure if this has any appeal to people, but as a Bulls fan and Jordan homer, I'm really excited to do this.

NBA2K11: Gamers Can Play With Different Versions of Jordan - CNBC
Old 07-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #1341
Anthony
Banned

i was really craving NBA Jam - the original - to play on my 360 the other nite. really wished i could've downloaded it off the XBL marketplace. no such luck. apparently a new NBA Jam is probably coming out soon, but i'm not really interested in new rosters, i wanna play with like Ewing, Olajuwon, Chris Mullin, Rony Seikly, Dominique Wilkins, etc. i like old rosters.

i know this won't happen, but i hope whenever an NBA Jam comes out you have the option for old rosters.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #1342
SackAttack
Head Coach

Anthony, the problem with classic rosters is that because those players are no longer part of the NBAPA, you'd have to negotiate with each individual player to get the rights to have them in the game.

Some players are going to be less expensive than others, of course, but there's also the paperwork side of things - tracking everybody down (and their next of kin, where necessary) to get permission.

Current rosters are doable because they've already got the NBAPA license.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #1343
Anthony
Banned

but it wouldn't be classic rosters - it'd be the exact same rosters (either as an easter egg, or downloadable in the XBL marketplace, etc) as the original NBA Jam. you mean to tell me if XBox wanted to release a "greatest hits" game featuring the original NBA Jam it couldn't happen? i thought contracts allow the NBA to use player likenesses as they see fit, thus allowing them to license out players to game companies. it sucks, i just want the original game. at this point i think my only option for the rosters i want is to buy the coin-op one that was in the arcades. its on ebay but $900+ is a steep price to pay for early 90's rosters.

i just hate it then in this day and age when someone wants something we just can't buy it, either digitally or what have you. everything from 1990 should just be available to purchase online.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #1344
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
you mean to tell me if XBox wanted to release a "greatest hits" game featuring the original NBA Jam it couldn't happen?

Correct.

Quote:
i thought contracts allow the NBA to use player likenesses as they see fit, thus allowing them to license out players to game companies.

There are typically two kinds of licenses - one with the league for league IP, such as logos, uniforms, team names, etc and one with the players' union for the right to use likenesses.

There have been some court cases recently that could ultimately change that landscape, but the need for separate licenses has been a part of the sports gaming industry pretty much since the Genesis era.

I'm sure Midway would love to cash in on the original game as a marketing push towards the new game.

Quote:
it sucks, i just want the original game. at this point i think my only option for the rosters i want is to buy the coin-op one that was in the arcades. its on ebay but $900+ is a steep price to pay for early 90's rosters.

i just hate it then in this day and age when someone wants something we just can't buy it, either digitally or what have you. everything from 1990 should just be available to purchase online.

You could always buy a Sega Genesis or a Super Nintendo and a copy of NBA Jam for a combined, like, $30.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #1345
heybrad
Norm!!!

Look around online and get a Genesis emulator. They're not difficult to find. Then you can play it all you want on your PC for free.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #1346
Travis
Pro Rookie

The recent release of Tecmo on the PS3 was like that (and I'm assuming the same on the 360). It was the 92 or 93 rosters but while it was pretty obvious who the players and the teams were (based on numbers, race, abilities), none of the team or player names were right.

A 5 minute google search later and I had the full properly named rosters loaded up thanks to the efforts of a guy who went through and did it himself, I'm sure NBA Jam would get the same sort of attention provided classic (but non named) rosters are included in the game.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #1347
Anthony
Banned

i saw a screen shot of NBA Jam involving the Suns - Barkley and Thunder Dan - vs two guys from Milwaukee who i don't know. i love it.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #1348
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

So I picked up Dragon Quest IX the other day and I have to say I find it rather engrossing.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #1349
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
So I picked up Dragon Quest IX the other day and I have to say I find it rather engrossing.

I have this one too and also am quite enjoying it. I had originally put it down to play Persona 3 Portable, but decided that P3P is going to have to be a weekend game, when I have time to devote to it (I'm about 2.5 hours in and still feel like I've gotten nowhere in that one, I think because I was trying to play in 30 minutes here, 30 minutes there sessions on weeknights). So after that ramble, yeah, digging DQ IX. Going to go play now.

/tk
Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #1350
RainMaker
General Manager

That is one thing that sucks about sports games is how they can't really get the old players in it. It would be amazing to get an NBA 2K game that had some of the great old teams in it with authentic arenas and uniforms for that time. Being able to put the 96 Bulls up against the 86 Celtics. Or 2010 Heat against Showtime Lakers.

It is sort of surprising that the unions haven't formed something like this for retired players so that games could just buy the license to them for a fee.